[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, VA., FLA., LA., TENN.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Feb 16 09:36:59 CST 2016

Feb. 16

TEXAS----impending execution

Attorneys for a Texas inmate facing execution for the shotgun slaying of a
suburban Dallas liquor store clerk say no late appeals are planned

No late appeals are planned for a Texas inmate facing execution for the shotgun
slaying of a suburban Dallas liquor store clerk, his attorneys said.

Gustavo Garcia's lethal injection scheduled for Tuesday evening would be the
3rd this year in Texas, which carries out capital punishment more than any
other state. Garcia, 43, was sentenced to death for the fatal 1990 shooting of
Craig Turski during a robbery.

The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles rejected a clemency petition and a
federal judge considering an appeal Friday refused to halt the execution. The
U.S. Supreme Court last month refused to review an appeal that challenged the
competency of Garcia's earlier legal help. Then last week, the high court
turned down a request for a rehearing on that ruling.

Seth Kretzer, one of Garcia's lawyers, said Monday he anticipated no last-day
appeals to the courts.

Garcia spent more than half of his life on death row for the killing of Turski,
a cashier at a Plano liquor store. Garcia was 18 at the time of the slaying,
which was 1 of 2 tied to him and 15-year-old Christopher Vargas.

Vargas was tried and convicted as an adult and given a life sentence, but his
age made him ineligible for the death penalty.

Court documents show Garcia shot Turski in the abdomen on Dec. 9, 1990, then
reloaded and shot the 43-year-old man in the back of the head. A month later,
Garcia and Vargas entered a Plano convenience store armed with a sawed-off
shotgun and carried out a holdup in which another clerk, 18-year-old Gregory
Martin, was fatally shot in the head.

Martin was on the phone with his girlfriend just before the shooting and told
her to call police. Officers arrived and found Vargas standing over Martin's
body and Garcia hiding in a beer cooler with the shotgun nearby. Authorities
later determined the weapon was the same one used in Turski's death.

In a statement to police after his arrest for Martin's killing, Garcia said
he'd ordered Turski to his knees and then a customer entered the store.

"I then panicked," he said. "I shot the clerk with the shotgun."

On Thanksgiving night in 1998, Garcia and 5 other death row inmates were
scaling a pair of 10-foot-high prison fences when corrections officers opened
fire on them and they surrendered. A 7th death row prisoner, Martin Gurule, was
shot but managed to flee, making him the 1st inmate to escape Texas death row
since a Bonnie and Clyde gang member broke out in 1934. Gurule's body was found
about a week later in a creek a few miles from the prison. An autopsy showed he
drowned.

"At least I can say I tried," Garcia said of the escape attempt in a 1999
interview with The Associated Press. "Facing execution is scarier."

He declined an interview request as his execution date neared.

Garcia's death sentence was overturned in 2000 on appeal. A year later, he was
returned to death row after a 2nd punishment trial.

At least 9 other Texas inmates have execution dates set for the coming months,
including 3 in March.

(source: Associated Press)

**************

Executions under Greg Abbott, Jan. 21, 2015-present----15

Executions in Texas: Dec. 7, 1982----present-----533

Abbott#--------scheduled execution date-----name------------Tx. #

16---------February 16--------------Gustavo Garcia--------534

17---------March 9------------------Coy Wesbrook----------535

18---------March 22-----------------Adam Ward-------------536

19---------March 30-----------------John Battaglia--------537

20---------April 6------------------Pablo Vasquez---------538

21---------April 27-----------------Robert Pruett---------539

22---------May 11-------------------Terry Edwards---------540

23---------June 2-------------------Charles Flores--------541

24---------July 14------------------Perry Williams--------542

(sources: TDCJ & Rick Halperin)

***************

BBC Three's Life and Death Row: Meet the Texas prisoner who wants to die

This is Daniel Lopez, a 27-year-old on death row in Texas, USA. He wants to be
executed by lethal injection.

His own legal team is arguing for him not to die, worried that he's mentally
unstable and using the justice system as a form of suicide. But he's having
none of it.

He's been waiting more than 6 years on death row and is determined to get it
over with as soon as possible.

"The victim's family want me dead," he says.

"Their closure's going to be when I'm dead. My family, it hurts them to see me
here day in and day out. When am I going to get executed? This month, next
month, next year?

"I want them to move on."

You can watch the first episode on BBC Three's iPlayer channel.

Series 2 of Life and Death Row

His chilling approach to his own execution is captured on film as he's
interviewed from inside prison for BBC Three's new Life and Death Row season.

In March 2009 Lopez was being chased by police.

1 officer was ahead of him on the highway preparing to stop his car with a line
of spikes, to puncture his tyres.

Lopez spotted him, drove at him and ran him over - killing Lt. Stuart
Alexander.

The documentary also has full access to the policeman's widow, Vicky Alexander.

A society needs rules, they need laws ... I mean this is someone who took
someone else's life, so they have a total disregard for another human being's
life, you can't have people like that walking the streets

As the time ticks down to Lopez's execution day she becomes increasingly
anxious that the prisoner will suddenly change his mind. "I have nightmares now
that we're gonna get there and he still has the right, right up to the last
second, to say, 'No, I want my appeals.' Maybe that's what he has planned?"

'That's the penalty he has to pay for what he did'

It's unusual for someone on death row to not make any attempt to stop their
execution.

Mrs Alexander says: "At least I'll know that he can't hurt anybody any more and
that's what my husband would want too."

She's a former nurse who cries as she explains how she's spent so much time
trying to save lives.

Now she's going to be a witness, observing from a side room, as life is taken
away.

"I've been through 6 1/2 years of hell. That's the penalty he has to pay for
what he did."

The film becomes tense and emotional as we also meet Lopez's ex-partner and his
children.

"I hope they understand that I truly love all my kids. They can move on and
lead a good life, I wish they could have another father in their life that'll
be a real good father to them. They could just forget about me."

Alongside the main series there are also some additional extras such as a
gallery from death row photographer Scott Langley, a short video explaining
exactly how lethal injection works and testimony from a man who has witnessed
more than 200 executions.

As for episode one of Life and Death Row, we won't give away what happens in
the end.

But Lopez's scheduled date for execution comes the day after Vicky Alexander
would have celebrated her 26th wedding anniversary.

One of the last things Lopez says, as he fights back the tears, is: "It's to
move everything along, to stop all this pain going around."

***Daniel Lopez was executed by lethal injection in August 2015***

(source: BBC news)

VIRGINIA----impending execution

State officials may be using Ricky Gray execution to bring back electric chair

There is no mystery surrounding the murders committed by the man scheduled to
be executed March 16.

But there is a mystery about how the state will kill him.

State Department of Corrections officials have given contradictory comments on
whether they have the drugs to kill Ricky Gray.

Gray is sentenced to die for killing 2 young girls in Richmond in 2006. In all,
he and his nephew are linked to the killings of 9 people, including the girls'
parents.

Corrections officials have said they have 2 lethal doses of the 1st drug in the
deadly cocktail needed for execution. They have also said they do not have
enough of the 1st-step drug for the execution.

"I wonder what it is that they are not telling us," said Megan McCracken of the
Death Penalty Clinic at the UC Berkeley School of Law and lethal injection
expert." "There is some sort of lack of transparency where ... Virginia says it
can't get the drugs but has the drugs."

Last week, the House of Delegates passed legislation that would make the
electric chair an option for future executions. If it passes the Senate and
Gov. Terry McAuliffe signs it, Gray could be executed in the electric chair
after July 1.

How - and when - Gray will die remains in question.

Sen. Scott Surovell, D-Fairfax County, believes a theory flying around some
circles in Richmond: The Corrections Department has the drugs it needs but is
using the threat of not executing Gray as leverage to bring back the electric
chair as an option that Department of Corrections officials can choose for the
execution.

"They did not introduce their (electric chair) bill last year, so it's either
that they are trying to use the gruesomeness of the Ricky Gray case to justify
this, or else it is one heck of a coincidence," Surovell, a long-time opponent
to the bill, said. "If it's such an important department prerogative, I'm not
clear why they didn't try the bill last year. I don't think the legislature got
any more friendly with the last election."

State law now gives condemned inmates the choice between the electric chair and
lethal injection. Unless an inmate chooses the electric chair, the state's only
option is lethal injection.

That's become problematic for Corrections Department officials. They say lethal
injection drugs have gotten more difficult to obtain. Major drug companies
won't sell them to states because they don't want to be associated with the
death penalty.

Corrections officials obtained 3 vials of pentobarbital, the 1st drug in the
state's 3-drug cocktail, from Texas last year to execute convicted murderer
Alfredo Prieto. They used 1 vial to kill Prieto and say there are 2 unexpired
vials left.

But they also say they don't have the step-1 drugs they need to kill Gray.

"The Department currently doesn't have the step-1 drugs necessary to carry out
a death sentence by lethal injection. I can't comment further regarding lethal
injection drugs due to potential litigation," Corrections spokeswoman Lisa
Kinney said in an email. "The Department still has 2 vials of pentobarbital
from Texas. They expire in April."

When asked to clarify last week, Kinney said the Department of Corrections
"absolutely does not have the lethal injection drugs necessary to carry out a
death sentence by lethal injection."

Robert Dunham, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, said
that in a well-administered system, there are often backup supplies of the
execution drugs.

"The problem you have here is that because of Virginia's secrecy practices, we
can't know," he said. "Generally when a state lacks the means to carry out an
execution, it defers the execution."

States that still use lethal injection have been forced to turn to compounding
pharmacies, which make drugs on a small scale. There are questions about their
potency, McCracken said.

Legislators in past sessions have proposed bills giving the state the option to
use the electric chair and to get its drug supply directly from compounding
pharmacies. Both have failed.

Kinney said execution dates are set by the court, not the department.
Corrections Department officials do not have a position on the bill from Del.
Jackson Miller, R-Manassas, she said.

Sen. Kenny Alexander, D-Norfolk, said he opposes the measure because it puts
the decision about what method to use in the hands of corrections officials and
out of the hands of legislators, who represent the public.

"I think as a society we decide what the method should be," he said. "What if
you get a correction officer who has the drugs, but is bent on, or for whatever
reason, just wants to use the chair? I think that's the wrong public policy."
On Oct. 17, 1990, Wilbert Lee Evans was executed for shooting Deputy Sheriff
William Truesdale to death in the Alexandria courthouse in 1981.

Witnesses to the execution said Evans, whose face was partially covered by a
leather mask, appeared to bleed profusely from his nose, ears and possibly his
eyes. Prison officials later said he bled only from his right nostril.

In the aftermath of Evans' execution, state officials started to consider other
methods. Then-Gov. L. Douglas Wilder said he would support legislation changing
the execution method.

In 1994, Gov. George Allen signed a bill giving the condemned a choice between
the electric chair and lethal injection. Today, the inmate still has that
choice, but if an inmate does not choose within 15 days of the execution, the
state must use lethal injection.

The bill was opposed more than 2 decades ago by a mix of senators who said
death sentences should be painful and others who argued that capital punishment
should be abolished.

Since the bill went into effect, 7 of the 87 people executed in Virginia have
chosen the electric chair.

"It just makes it too easy on someone who has committed a horrible crime,"
then-Sen. Frank W. Nolen, D-Augusta, said of lethal injection at the time of
the bill's passing. "To me, to put that individual to sleep is not good enough.
The punishment should correspond with the crime."

Then-Sen. John H. Chichester, R-Fredericksburg, dismissed Nolen's argument.

"Whether it's electrocution or lethal injection, the results are still the
same," he said at the time. "All this bill does is give prisoners a choice."

Before the vote on his bill in the House last week, Miller gave a graphic
description of Gray's crimes.

In all, Gray and his nephew Ray Joseph Dandridge are linked to the killings of
9 people, including Bryan and Kathryn Harvey. Bryan was a well-known musician
and Kathryn was a former Virginia Beach homecoming queen who owned a toy store.

Gray is sentenced to die for murdering their 9- and 4-year-old girls in
Richmond on New Year's Day in 2006.

All 4 were found in the basement of their burning home, bound, beaten with a
hammer and stabbed, with their throats cut.

The murders shocked the Richmond area. An endowment supporting the arts still
gives out scholarships in the family's name .

Surovell said he believes the Department of Corrections could be using Gray's
execution as leverage because of what he sees as a pattern of secrecy within
the department.

Officials said they could not find drugs for executions in 2014 when another
bill was introduced to bring back the electric chair.

Then they got the pentobarbital from Texas to execute Prieto in October, the
last man executed in Virginia.

Surovell said opponents were concerned last year when a bill was introduced to
prevent public disclosure of the drugs and drug manufacturers used in lethal
injections. The measure passed the Senate but was defeated in the House of
Delegates 56-42.

"It's very clear to me that the DOC has an agenda to conduct executions with as
little government or public oversight as possible, which is highly disturbing,"
Surovell said.

The Department of Corrections' statements don't add up, UC Berkeley's McCracken
said, adding, "If there is something wrong with this compounded pentobarbital,
VDOC should explain what has changed."

State officials defended use of the same batch of pentobarbital in federal
court in October, and the court relied on the state's representations when it
ruled that the department could use it, she said.

(source: Virginian-Pilot)

************

Electric chair's archaic punishment should be limited by Virginia Senate

Dear Virginia State Senate,

I am concerned about the future of our beloved state and write to you in
desperate need of help. This past week it has come to my attention that the
Virginia House of Delegates has voted for the electrocution chair and lethal
injections to be interchangeable means of dying via the death penalty. In other
words, should the drugs be unavailable for an inmate to be put to death via
lethal injection, the state would be able to forcibly constrict a prisoner to
the method of electrocution. Considering that the House of Delegates' decision
could soon be finalized by the State Senate's approval, I type with heavy hands
and a heart sunken to the pit of my stomach, hoping that my prose might jolt
humanitarian values back into the people who hold the power to stop this.

It unnerves me to think that the government has become numb to the consequences
of their decisions - those that seem so small when shelved aside global
phenomenon - so instead I focus on my hope for clarity. Today, I plead for
Virginia to restore my faith in the legacy of checks and balances; may the
depth of our judicial system precede personal reservations and disengage the
ability to harbor hate. It is true that monsters exist who have committed acts
of murder against our own kind, but shall we turn wretched for the mere
satisfaction of having their disgusting behavior served back onto them? I think
not.

In the United States, only 5 methods exist for means of capital punishment:
hanging, firing squad, electrocution chair, gas chamber and lethal injection.
The rush to find new alternatives for executions has never been more urgent,
considering that lethal injections have been the primary method for over 30
states, and the U.S. has been suffering through a prolonged shortage of
supplies. The Los Angeles Times in January 2011 first wrote about the
retraction of sodium thiopental (a major anesthetic used in executions) under
the contingency that the government was the primary buyer. Many other major
drug companies have followed in their footsteps since.

I understand that we shouldn't be focusing our fiscal budget on things like new
advancements for death row, but there is a fine line between making prisoners
unnecessarily comfortable and treating inmates with basic rights all humans
possess. Each execution method has its downfall, but drugs are by far the most
conscientious to this very idea.

Surely as refined people of the state, senators must be aware of the process of
electrocution. A human is groomed to conduct around 2,000 volts of electricity
with the maintenance of a saline sponge wedged in between their legs and lying
atop their head. Of course, the person's freedom is scrapped once the leather
shackles wrap around the body from head to toe; a metal skull cap crowns the
bald head and a blindfold is tied around the person's eyes while electrodes
feed off the elastic flesh for 30-second increments.

Justice William Brennan spoke of ghastly reactions to the electrocution process
following the United States Supreme Court's decision to deny certiorari in
Glass v. Louisiana (1985):

"...the prisoner's eyeballs sometimes pop out and rest on (his) cheeks. The
prisoner often defecates, urinates, and vomits blood and drool. The body turns
bright red as its temperature rises, and the prisoner's flesh swells and his
skin stretches to the point of breaking. Sometimes the prisoner catches fire
... Witnesses hear a loud and sustained sound like bacon frying, and the sickly
sweet smell of burning flesh permeates the chamber."

Why, then, are we entertaining the notion that a method so torturous should be
permitted in the place of the more peaceful practice of lethal injection?

A similar bill was passed through Virginia's House of Delegates in recent years
but quickly denied by the Virginia State Senate. Later, Tennessee became the
1st and only state to enact a policy similar to the bill in question in the
late months of 2014. According to the Death Penalty Information Center (DPIC),
only 7 other states have authorized the use of electrocution in rare cases such
as preference or physically being incompatible for its drug contents. Virginia
is one of those 7 states and has been teetering over the line labeled "do not
cross" for ages. I would like to believe that members of the State Senate will
have the same inclination to deny the bill as they had before. I truly believe
that Tennessee should regret selling out on moral standards in order to stitch
up the drug shortage issue with an easy fix that pleases the economy.

David Raybin, attorney for Daryl Holton, recalls his experience of a Tennessee
execution in 2007 in a company blog post:

"It demeans us as a society to have this electric chair execution on the books,
much less to actually use it. The electric chair is a carnival of death which
brings no dignity to the victim or our judicial system."

67 inmates currently await capital punishment in Tennessee, pending a
constitutional review of a punishment made legal over 2 years ago. Each case
has not only had its execution date postponed multiple times for insufficient
drug availability but now has an arguable Eighth Amendment appeal.

After researching the shambolic history of the death penalty in DPIC, I note
the countless times a state has withdrawn its anterior methods of execution.
For example, Nebraska had electrocution as its primary method until February
2008. Then in 2015, state legislatures successfully repealed the death penalty.
This is a common occurrence. With a mess of constant up-and-down battles for
the relevance of capital punishment, the one underlying similarity I have
detected is that our indecisiveness proves that the way we have been doing
things up until this point is not right. There must be another way.

With overwhelming data supporting each side of the argument, I too find it hard
to submit a strong stance on the death penalty. I understand that the State
Senate is often forced to make decisions on deadline, and I know this job
cannot come easy. Senators of the state, you will not be able to right every
wrong in our world with the restriction of a majority vote. Sometimes even the
best people are deafened to the truth; the deceit of society's popular opinion
has drowned out those sound cries. Instead, you must start rejecting what you
do not believe in to salvage what rooted principles you have left. I may not be
able to determine whether or not the death penalty itself is the essence of
justice or a displacement of unavoidable barbaric desires, but I am confident
that death by an electrocution chair is outright callous.

The Virginia state motto, "Sic semper tyrannis," translated as "thus always to
tyrants," should mean something to all of us. We must be able to distinguish
ourselves from those who have abused power and deserve to be punished. If we do
not take this opportunity to ban archaic practices like electrocution, we will
have no case to build that we are better than those already behind cell walls.

Sincerely,

A concerned Virginian

(source: Aly De Angelus, Collegiate Times)

FLORIDA:

House ready to move on death penalty changes

Taking an approach backed by prosecutors and Attorney General Pam Bondi, the
Florida House on Wednesday is slated to take up a bill that would revamp the
state's death-penalty sentencing system.

Lawmakers are hurrying to make changes after the U.S. Supreme Court on Jan. 12
ruled that the current system is unconstitutional because it gives too much
power to judges, instead of juries, in sentencing defendants to death.

The House and Senate agree on a key part of addressing the Supreme Court ruling
-- requiring that jurors be unanimous in deciding that at least 1 "aggravating"
factor exists before a defendant can be eligible for the death penalty.

But the 2 chambers are divided on a high-profile issue about whether jurors
should be required to be unanimous in recommending to judges that death
sentences be imposed.

In the past, Florida has required only majority recommendations.

The House, with support from prosecutors and Bondi, wants to move to a 9-3
vote, while the Senate wants to require a unanimous recommendation.

The House is slated to take up its bill (HB 7101) during a floor session
Wednesday afternoon, according to a calendar of bills approved Monday by the
Rules and Calendar Committee.

(source: news4jax.vom)

LOUISIANA:

Execution scheduled for convicted serial killer could be delayed

The execution of a death row inmate could be delayed, according to the
Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections.

Convicted serial killer Daniel Blank, 53, was scheduled to be executed on March
14. However, in a news release, the DPS&C said they do not have the drugs
necessary to carry the execution out.

Safety and Corrections officials say that despite this, they still have a
protocol they follow relating to carrying out a death warrant.

"In the case of Offender Daniel Blank, it is our intention to proceed with that
protocol until legal actions dictate otherwise. Due to ongoing death penalty
litigation, the Department cannot comment any further regarding this issue,"
said officials in a news release.

Blank admitted to killing 6 people, Victor Rossi, 41, Barbara Bourgeois, 58,
Lillian Philippe, 71, Sam Arcuri, 76, Louella Arcuri, 69, and Joan Brock, 55,
in Gonzales, St. Amant, LaPlace and Paulina between 1996 and 1997. He was
arrested in November 1997 and sentenced to death in 1999.

"The key issue is this [execution] date. We have worked very hard to get it
stayed," said Blank's attorney Gary Clements. "[Blank] is in front of the
Louisiana Supreme Court now to go against what happened to him in court. We
have filed a RID, which is like an appeal, and it was filed on February 1.
There is no reason why an execution date should have been set."

Clements told WAFB they are still trying to prove Blank's innocence. Clements
says what Blank actually admitted to and what the evidence actually was does
not match up.

The RID has been filed with the 23rd JDC and the Louisiana Supreme Court.

(source: WAFB news)

TENNESSEE:

Tennesseans spend millions hiring attorneys for poor defendants

Taxpayers in Northeast Tennessee spent $5.4 million over a 3 year period to
hire attorneys for defendants who are not able to afford lawyers of their own,
according to data from the Tennessee Administrative Office of the Courts.

According to the state records, attorneys for indigent clients filed almost
14,000 claims for payments from July 2012 through June 2015 for almost 134,000
hours of work.

Howard Hawk Willis Still Costing Tennessee Post-Conviction

Convicted double-murderer Howard Hawk Willis, who currently sits on death row,
cost the state more than any other defendant in Northeast Tennessee during that
time. According to AOC data, 4 attorneys filed claims totaling $99,194 since
2012.

A Washington County jury found Willis guilty in 2010 for the murders of
newlyweds Adam and Samantha Chrismer. Investigators found the teenagers'
dismembered bodies at a Johnson City storage facility. His indigent counsel
filed claims for 1,410 hours, which is the equivalent of an attorney working on
his case 24/7 for almost 59 days.

Constitutional Right

Whenever a defendant is unable to afford to hire his or her own attorney the
Constitution requires the government appoint a lawyer for him or her.

"There are rulings by both the Tennessee Supreme Court and the United States
Supreme Court that indigent defendants are entitled to representation,"
Washington County Sessions Court Judge Don Arnold said.

At the beginning of every hearing Judge Arnold reminds defendants of their
rights. By the end of an average hearing the judge says roughly 75 % of all
defendants will receive court-appointed representation.

It doesn't take much to secure indigent counsel. Defendants just have to fill
out a form, swear they're telling the truth and then convince the judge.

Judge Arnold said just because someone says they can't afford an attorney
doesn't mean he'll appoint one. He knows taxpayers are paying for people's
defense, so he said he doesn't award attorneys to anyone who asks.

"I'm accused of being tough on appointing lawyers or public defenders for
people because I look at whether or not people work," he said. "I don't feel
like the taxpayers ought to pay for representation fully or bear the full
burden of legal representation for people that go out and commit crimes against
society and do not work or try to take care of their own debts when they're
capable of doing that."

Homicide Cases Cost The Most

In addition to the Willis case, the other 4 most expensive cases were all
highly publicized homicide cases.

According to AOC records, attorney claims for Justin Stratton, convicted of a
2011 Washington County murder, cost just under $13,000. Meanwhile, Jawaune
Massey, found guilty of the 2005 execution-style candle shop murders in
Kingsport, cost just under $13,000 as well.

An appointed attorney made a difference in the case of one of Massey's
co-defendants. A Sullivan County jury found Leslie Ware not guilty of
1st-degree murder. Instead, jurors found him guilty of only lesser charges.
Ware's representation cost just under $23,000, according to the AOC.

Ware's case wasn't the only one where indigent counsel made a difference.

Steven Rollins' attorney helped save his life. After years on death row the
Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals overturned the murder conviction of
Rollins. The 2001 Kingsport bait shop killer pleaded guilty to 1st-degree
murder, but this time a judge sentenced him to life in prison with the
possibility of parole.

According to AOC claims, the Rollins case cost more than $26,000 since
mid-2012.

Attorney Gene Scott often helps with death penalty cases, because he says those
clients deserve it.

"It's important that these people have representation and I think it's
important that they have an experienced lawyer to do it," Scott said.

Defendants Accused Of Petty Crimes Receive Representation Too

Attorney Bill McManus filed 458 claims for more than $87,000 since mid-2012,
according to AOC records. After practicing law in Florida as a public defender
he returned to Northeast Tennessee.

McManus said accepting indigent cases was the best way for him to help
defendants and reestablish his practice.

"It's the basis of what I do," he said of his business. "I'm still trying to
establish myself here. You have to kind of get established with the judges and
let the district attorney's office know you. Everybody deserves a good defense
and my job is not to get the person off, it's to make sure that they're treated
fairly by the state."

New attorney Scott Shults said indigent representation is a first step in
practicing law, but also an important step in the justice system.

"I'm happy to do that, especially because when you're the defendant the deck is
stacked and the chips are down," he said. "The state has a lot of resources and
a lot of these people don't. The bedrock of this nation's legal system is the
presumption of innocence. Sure, there's some money in indigent defense, but
there's also a source of pride to try to stand up for what our country holds so
dear."

Lawmaker Says Indigent Costs Are Too High

According to the AOC, the state budgets $30 million every year for indigent
defendants across Tennessee.

Rep. Jon Lundberg thinks there are ways the state can reduce the cost.

"It's too much," he said. "I think there's a due diligence where a judge could
question a little bit more to see if someone's indigent."

The lawmaker filed legislation last season that would have required the study
of the appointment of indigent defense attorneys, but the legislation didn't
move forward. Although he trusts many judges ask the right questions, he says
he'd like to see them ask even more questions before appointing attorneys.

"We've got to step that up somehow," Lundberg said. "Whether it's encouraging
our judges to go a little further and ask a couple more questions. You don't
have to take 20 to 30 minutes per person. Questioning them, 'Who pays your
cable bill? Who pays your cell phone bill? Who brought you here?'" A Pitiful
Situation

Back in Judge Arnold's courtroom, he thinks the public needs to be aware of the
cost of court-appointed attorneys.

"It's a pitiful situation to sit up there and look at the poor people that are
involved in the system," he said. "It's unfortunate, but it's just a mark of
our society I suppose."

The judge said he knows the value of taxpayers??? money and pledges to keep
asking tough questions.

In some cases, judges make defendants pay for a portion of their indigent
defense, but it never amounts to much. According to the AOC, the yearly amount
equals roughly $225,000.

Scott agrees the dollar figures are staggering.

"It is a high number for the taxpayers to have to bear and, unfortunately,
taxpayers are bearing the cost of a lot people's mistakes, but at the same time
people are entitled to be represented," he said. "If a person is able to pay a
bail bondsman to get out of jail they should be able to hire their own
attorney, too."

Other Changes On The Horizon?

Attorneys like McManus argue the state needs to do more to fairly pay attorneys
for representing indigent clients. He said court-appointed attorneys in federal
court make significantly more money.

According to AOC Communications Director Michele Wojciechowski, appointed
attorneys earn $40 per hour for work outside of the courtroom and $50 per hour
for time spent in court in Tennessee.

She said there are also caps on the amounts indigent counsel can earn per case.
As it stands, attorneys are capped at 2,000 hours every year, according to the
AOC.

Some lawmakers filed legislation this year that would increase the amount the
state pays indigent attorneys. The proposed legislation would increase the $50
for every courtroom hour fee to $75 an hour.

(source: WJHL news)