[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, GA., MISS., OKLA., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Feb 15 15:38:05 CST 2016

Feb. 15

TEXAS----impending execution

Texas Inmate Set to Die Tuesday for Dallas-Area Store Holdup

A suburban Dallas convenience store clerk was on the phone with his girlfriend
when 2 people, 1 of them carrying a sawed-off shotgun, walked in. Gregory
Martin told her he believed he was about to be robbed and to call police.

Plano officers found 15-year-old Christopher Vargas standing over Martin's
lifeless body and 18-year-old Gustavo Garcia hiding in a beer cooler with the
shotgun near him. Authorities later determined the weapon had been used a month
earlier in a robbery at a Plano liquor store where the cashier, Craig Turski,
was fatally shot.

Garcia, now 43, is set for lethal injection Tuesday night in Turski's 1990
slaying. He'd be the third prisoner executed this year in Texas, which puts
more inmates to death than any other state.

A federal judge said Friday he won't stop the execution, and the Texas Board of
Pardons and Paroles refused a clemency petition. No additional appeals are
expected, Seth Kretzer, one of Garcia's lawyers, said Monday.

In the federal court appeal, Garcia's attorneys had argued that lawyers at his
trial and in earlier appeals failed to uncover details of an abusive and
alcohol- and drug-influenced youth - disclosures that could have convinced
jurors to spare him from a death sentence. They also said they needed
additional time to investigate those claims.

"Garcia's guilt is clear," responded Fredericka Sargent, an assistant Texas
attorney general.

The U.S. Supreme Court last month refused to review an appeal that raised
questions about deficient legal help, and last week turned down a request for a
rehearing.

Court documents show Garcia, who has spent more than half of his life on death
row, shot Turski in the abdomen on Dec. 9, 1990, then reloaded and shot the
43-year-old cashier in the back of the head. A month later, Martin, 18, was
shot in the head after he was taken to a back room.

In a statement to police following his arrest for Martin's killing, Garcia said
he'd ordered Turski to his knees when a customer entered the store.

"I then panicked," he said. "I shot the clerk with the shotgun."

On Thanksgiving in 1998, Garcia and 5 other inmates were scaling a pair of
10-foot-high prison fences when corrections officers opened fire on them and
they surrendered. A 7th convict, Martin Gurule, was shot but managed to flee,
making him the 1st inmate to escape Texas death row since a Bonnie and Clyde
gang member broke out in 1934. Gurule's body was found about a week later in a
creek a few miles from the prison, and an autopsy showed he drowned.

"At least I can say I tried," Garcia said of the escape attempt in a 1999
interview with The Associated Press. "Facing execution is scarier." He declined
an interview request as his execution date neared.

Vargas, Garcia's partner in both fatal robberies, was tried and as an adult,
convicted and is serving life in prison. His age made him ineligible for the
death penalty.

At least 9 other Texas inmates have execution dates set for the coming months,
including 3 in March.

(source: Associated Press)

GEORGIA----impending execution

Parole board set to meet Tuesday on condemned Houston County killer Travis
Hittson

The state Board of Pardons and Paroles is scheduled to hear clemency requests
on behalf of condemned Houston County killer Travis Clinton Hittson on Tuesday.

The board has invited Hittson's representatives to meet with the board at 9
a.m. to lay out a case for clemency.

Hittson is scheduled to die by lethal injection at 7 p.m. Feb. 17 at the
Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison near Jackson.

A Houston County Superior Court judge issued the execution order for Hittson
for the 1992 murder of Conway Utterbeck.

In February 1993, Hittson was convicted of murder, theft by taking, aggravated
assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. The jury
recommended a death sentence, which was imposed in March 1993.

In Georgia, the parole board has the sole constitutional authority to commute,
or reduce, a death sentence to life with the possibility of parole or to life
without the possibility of parole.

(source: macon.com)

MISSISSIPPI:

Attorney General presents death penalty options

With the recent expiration of Mississippi's lethal injection drugs, Mississippi
Attorney General Jim Hood released a legislative agenda that could effectively
nullify the logistical and ethical issues particular to the cocktails.

In place of lethal injection drugs, which can be difficult to acquire and
properly administer, Hood proposed 3 alternative execution methods for
administering the death penalty in a press release on Jan. 27.

If Hood's agenda is realized, Mississippi's 48 death row inmates could each
face either the electric chair, a firing squad or nitrogen hypoxia.

Mississippi previously used the electric chair during a period ending in 1952.
Though Mississippi never employed firing squads, other states have, and it is
still an accepted method of execution in Utah. Nitrogen hypoxia stands alone as
Hood's only untested proposed method.

Oklahoma adopted use of Nitrogen hypoxia as an execution method in 2015 and,
supported by a report by Michael Copeland, an associate professor of criminal
justice at East Central University in Oklahoma.

According to the report, "An execution protocol that induced hypoxia via
nitrogen inhalation would be a humane method to carry out a death sentence."

The report based its argument on the work of right-to-die advocacy groups, such
as the Final Exit Organization, which provides support and resources to the
terminally ill considering suicide. Such groups commonly suggest inert gas
hypoxia through "exit bags" as a preferred suicide method because it is
considered humane and peaceful.

To carry out a sentence through nitrogen hypoxia, a convict would breathe
normally, inhaling the inert gas until losing consciousness and eventually
succumbing to oxygen deprivation.

USM associate professor of political science Robert Press said the issue of
humane treatment extends well beyond method used to carry out the death
penalty.

"What I innately feel is a human rights abuse [is] to take another life," Press
said. "That's not a religious point of view, it just simply seems inhumane."

According to the Death Penalty Information Center, the South has the highest
murder rate at 5.3 per 100,000. The South also holds the highest execution rate
with over 1,145. Mississippi currently has 48 inmates on death row.

Press said though people often feel anger toward death row convicts, the death
penalty is simply unnecessary.

"I understand the feeling of someone who's had a victim in their family been
killed - that there is this desire for 'justice' or even revenge," Press said.
"I fully understand that it's very human, but it's not an effective way to
prevent that from happening again. And if one looks at the punishment of life
imprisonment, sometimes without parole, that is punishment."

According to Blake Feldman, a Mississippi ACLU advocacy coordinator, the death
penalty is not just a poor form of deterrence. It is also unconstitutional.

"With civil liberties, the first thing you think of is the Bill of Rights and
then incorporate it and how it applies to the states is the Fourteenth
Amendment," Feldman said. "A lot of death penalty issues get in through due
process and the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment."

Feldman said the inmates' potential innocence also contributes to the troubling
nature of capital punishment.

There have been 4 exonerations in Mississippi and over 156 nationally since
1971, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

(source: studentprintz.com)

OREGON:

Author to discuss 1940s Linn County murder, unjust execution

Oregon State University will hold a book reading and discussion on Wednesday
about a black man almost certainly unjustly executed for a 1943 murder on a
train near Tangent.

"The Color of Night: Race, Railroaders and Murder in the Wartime West," was
written by Western Oregon University History Professor Max G. Geier, who will
give his presentation from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 5th floor of the
Valley Library's Special Collections and Archives Research Center.

Light refreshments will be served.

Geier's book tells the story of a Robert Folkes, a train cook from South
Central Los Angeles who was charged with the murder of Martha James despite
inconsistent and contradictory eyewitness accounts.

James, a white and southern woman newly married to a Navy pilot, was killed in
her train sleeping berth near Albany.

The investigation into the case and the trial in Linn County Circuit Court
garnered sensational media coverage at a time of intense wartime fervor and
extensive black domestic migration.

Folke's controversial execution in the gas chamber reshaped how Oregonians and
others in the West thought about race, class and privilege, according to a news
release.

"Prosecutors, police and reporters colluded, in wartime, to stage the trial as
a moralizing ritual for a public purpose that had little to do with justice,"
reads a summary of the book on the OSU Press website.

The crime and its aftermath also galvanized civil rights activists, labor
organizers and community leaders into challenging the flawed judicial process
and ultimately the death penalty in Oregon.

Attendees at the book reading also will get a sneak peak of a new oral history
project under development at Special Collections and Archives - interviews with
20th century African American railroad porters.

(source: Albany Democrat-Herald)

USA:

The Harrowing Testimonies of Death Penalty Executioners

Texas has administered the death penalty to a record 531 people since the state
reinstated capital punishment in 1982. While Texas's numbers are particularly
high, state executions are also legal in 30 other states:

The death penalty was a divisive issue in a recent Democratic debate, and made
headlines earlier this week when the state of Missouri was accused of evading
taxes by paying executioners in cash.

The accounts of the "anonymous execution teams" who implement the death penalty
are equally chilling, and rarely reach the public sphere, because their
identities are protected by stringent state laws. Rare interviews from retired
corrections officers, wardens, and prison chaplains, as well as those included
in the 2000 Peabody Award winning radio documentary "Witness to an Execution"
give us glimpses of executioners and their experiences.

Here are the testimonies of 6 former executioners, wardens and prison personnel
who have administered or supervised capital punishment.

1. Jerry Givens, former Virginia Executioner from 1982-1999.

"If I had a choice, I would choose death by electrocution. That's more like
cutting your lights off and on. It's a button you push once and then the
machine runs by itself. It relieves you from being attached to it in some ways.
You can't see the current go through the body. But with chemicals, it takes a
while because you're dealing with three separate chemicals. You are on the
other end with a needle in your hand. You can see the reaction of the body. You
can see it going down the clear tube. So you can actually see the chemical
going down the line and into the arm and see the effects of it. You are more
attached to it. I know because I have done it."

2. Jennie Lancaster worked with the North Carolina Department of Corrections
from 1977-2013 as a warden and eventual Chief Deputy Secretary.

"At job interviews we don't ask things like, 'So how do you feel about wheeling
away a body?' But maybe we should. It's not a role many of us picture ourselves
playing."

3. Fred Allen participated in 130 executions as Captain of Corrections at Walls
Unit Prison in Huntsville, Texas before he had a breakdown in 1998.

"I was just working in the shop and all of a sudden something just triggered in
me and I started shaking. And then I walked back into the house and my wife
asked 'What's the matter?' and I said 'I don't feel good.' And tears -
uncontrollable tears - was coming out of my eyes. And she said 'What's the
matter?' And I said 'I just thought about that execution that I did 2 days ago,
and everybody else's that I was involved with.' And what it was was something
triggered within and it just - everybody - all of these executions all of a
sudden all sprung forward."

4. Steve J. Martin began his corrections career on death row at age 23 at Texas
State Penitentiary's Ellis Unit.

"The whole thing made me step out of my role professionally, and touched me on
an emotional level. I began to realize that this is how these things happen,
executions. We do these things that personally you would normally never be
involved in, because they're sanctioned by the government. And then we start
walking through them in a mechanical fashion. We become detached. We lose our
humanity."

5. Ron McAndrew, a former Warden at Florida State Prison, worked with the
department of corrections from 1978-2000.

"Searching my soul for answers that would satisfy the question on just why were
we killing people and why our governor and politicians would do their 'chest
pounding' over these ghastly spectacles was difficult. I began to remember
myself as the person who went to Florida State Prison with a firm belief in the
death penalty. And even though I still professed this belief, the questions of
why we were doing this and if it were necessary, would not leave my mind. While
appalled by the physical act of tying a person to a chair and burning him to
death, I did not deny the reasons for the act. Here I want to say that one must
be careful in searching his soul...one may just find that God is there and that
He does not support the barbaric idea that man should execute man...After 23
years in Corrections, I have come to the conclusion that killing people is
wrong. We have no business doing it, except in self-defense, in defense of
someone else or in defense of the nation. And it's wrong for us to ask others
do it for us."

6. Reverend Carroll Pickett served as the "death house" Chaplain from 1980-1995
at Walls Unit Prison in Huntsville, Texas.

"After I had attended a few executions I developed a procedure. I would spend
time with the condemned man working out what their last words would be so that
I could pass the information on to the warden and make sure the killing wasn't
started until the prisoner had finished speaking. When they were inside the
death chamber they all wanted to maintain contact, they wanted me to hold their
hand. But you can't do that because they are strapped and taped down. Instead I
would stand right next to them and put my hand on their right leg where I could
feel a pulse. That way, they always knew someone was with them to the very
end."

Pickett is now an outspoken critic of capital punishment. He says:

"I know for a fact that I watched four innocent men being killed by the state
of Texas, and many more men die who should never have been sent to the
chamber...Of the innocent men, Carlos DeLuna was the hardest for me because I
knew he had done nothing wrong. What was striking about him and the other
innocent men was that they were the most peaceful at the point of their
deaths."

During DeLuna's death, the 1st lethal injection drug failed. Pickett recalls:

"Those big, brown eyes were wide open. Here I am, 5 inches from his knee, 5
feet from his face, and he's looking straight at me. ... And I don't know what
the question was in his brain. I don't know what he was thinking. If I wanted
to be paranoid, I could say he was thinking, 'You lied to me.'"

A Columbia Law report on DeLuna's death reads:

"If the 1st drug failed - and Pickett was sure it did, at least at first - then
Carlos would be awake when the 2nd drug started suffocating him. He also would
feel a torturous burning when the third drug entered his veins. But the
paralysis from the 2nd drug would prevent him from showing any distress. Carlos
would be tortured to death, but only he would know it."

(source: att.com)

*************

The Bloody Hands Of Racist Homophobic Corporatist Scalia-Defending The Murder
Of Innocents----Scalia was personally responsible for helping to put to death
innocent people. "Scalia was prone to pronouncements that amounted to little
more than demagoguery. His statements contributed to decades of operation of
the machinery of death, which took lives in brutal state-sponsored murder."

I opened a giant wooden door that separated the West Courtroom of the Fifth
Circuit Court of Appeals from the bare hallway that connected the room to the
fresh outside air. A small man with a patchy beard waited nervously to the
right. He looked like a kid wanting an autograph from his favorite quarterback.
He was a representative of the Texas Attorney General???s Office. He was
waiting for my colleague and mentor.

We'd just finished arguments in front of a panel of the Fifth Circuit. A few
minutes prior, my mentor had argued that we were in front of the court to talk
about the "most egregious violation of the 6th amendment in American history."
It was a bold claim, of course. The kind of claim that a skilled appellate
litigator would always avoid if it wasn't true. I thought that it was. Our
client spent 3 decades in a Texas prison without a valid conviction or
sentence. His case had been overturned by the Court of Criminal Appeals, the
highest state criminal court in Texas. The district attorney's office that had
once sentenced him to death had been ordered by the high court to either
release our client or re-try him. They chose the 3rd rail, to just leave him in
prison without doing a thing. He was a black man with a documented IQ of
somewhere between 55 and 65. In layman's terms, that made him intellectually
disabled or "mentally retarded."

My mentor argued that because the State failed to try our client over the three
decades that he was in jail, the State had violated his speedy trial rights.
The little man with the teenage beard argued that it wasn't the State's fault.
He argued that our client, who was barely lucid enough to know how to tie his
shoes, should somehow bring himself to trial, even though he was behind bars in
the Texas penitentiary. The little man with the teenage beard argued, in the
alternative, that the federal court there did not have jurisdiction to decide
on the case at that time because of arcane procedural reasons that only very
skilled federal appellate litigators would understand. His argument could be
boiled down to a very simple stew - we didn't do anything wrong, and even if we
did, you should let the State of Texas kick this case around for two more years
before we end up back in this exact same court to answer the question of
whether this man's speedy trial rights were violated.

It was all very civilized. Men in suits speaking into microphones that sent
noise to men and women sitting in robes behind nice antique furniture. Others
were there to argue cases that didn't resemble ours. Some looked up from their
own notes when they heard my mentor speak of the gravity of the case before us.

After we'd argued, our team exchanged the usual pleasantries.

"I appreciate you flying down here to support us," my mentor said. I assured
him that the soft poker at nearby Harrah's was as much a draw as lending my
support to our client. We were all smiles. Then there was the little man with
the teenage beard. He wanted to talk so badly.

My mentor acknowledged him. The little man began to speak.

"I think I worked with a professor who now works with you at the Law Center,"
he said to my mentor, referring to my alma mater in Houston.

My mentor was gracious. He's the author of books about the death penalty. He's
secured exonerations of a handful of innocent men. He's given a speech at the
TED conference. He's the sort of man that anyone in our field would want to
meet and greet. He talked with the little man for a few seconds. I couldn't
bring myself to join in the pleasantries. I commented that my mentor was twice
the man I was for even entertaining the conversation. My mentor had already
been through the wars. He'd been taking on Capitol Mutts for so long that
dealing nicely with another one was as natural as a politician shaking hands at
a rally.

I realized something in that moment. Something beyond the fact that my mentor
was immensely better than me at work and life. I realized that the differences
between me and the little man with the teenage beard weren't the sort of
differences that could be bridged with a handshake and a short exchange of
small talk.

When I stripped away all of the bullshit, he had been arguing to keep my
mentally retarded black client in prison despite a gross violation of that
man's civil rights. Our client had been abused by the State for decades. When
his case was overturned by the high appellate court, it was joined by 2 cousin
cases where those gentlemen also received outright overturns of their death
penalty cases. 1 of those men was black. The other was white. The black man was
re-tried by the State. He was convicted a 2nd time, and he was sentenced to
death. He had since been executed by lethal injection, poison pumped into his
veins until he died on the gurney like a dog. The other man, the white man, had
his sentence properly commuted under the law. He was paroled in the 1990s, left
to live out his years with his family. Our client had been left to rot in a
prison cell despite a legal right to a new trial.

It wasn't a game. Our differences were not small, not political. The little man
with the teenage beard had ostensibly spent the weeks before the oral argument
planning creative ways to keep our client in prison a little bit longer. He'd
been looking for ways to work around the 6th amendment rights that our client
was due as a human. In the first few minutes I knew him, when he spoke to the
judges of the Fifth Circuit, he'd spun himself into knots not arguing for
mundane political advances, but for the continuance of Texas's keeping a man in
a cage. The consequences of our sides were real. They came down right on the
disabled head of our client.

That leads me to Antonin Scalia, the Supreme Court justice who died the day
before Valentine's Day in 2016. In the wake of Scalia's death, opinions flowed
over in my field. They flowed, too, from the average Joe not in my field.
People who think like I do were just as gracious as my mentor had been to the
little man with the teenage beard. They did that for 2 reasons. For one,
they're better than me. Perhaps most importantly, they did so because they had
to.

Hilary Clinton said in a statement:

"My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Justice Scalia as
they mourn his sudden passing," she said. "I did not hold Justice Scalia's
views, but he was a dedicated public servant who brought energy and passion to
the bench."

Bernie Sanders offered: "While I differed with Justice Scalia's views and
jurisprudence, he was a brilliant, colorful and outspoken member of the Supreme
Court." California Attorney General Kamala Harris wrote:

"In his 3 decades on the Supreme Court, Justice Scalia left a lasting
impression on American jurisprudence. Even those of us who vigorously disagreed
with his views recognized the power of his intellect."

Avowed death penalty opponent Sister Helen Prejean wrote:

"I'm very saddened to hear about the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin
Scalia. Although we didn't always agree, we were both Christians and were
united on those essential principles. My thoughts and prayers are with Justice
Scalia and his family."

Even President Obama offered his thoughts on the value of Scalia's "service" to
the public. I have immense respect for the people that offered these opinions.
I have even more respect for the pressures that made them contribute to
needless hagiography rather than telling the truth. There's no reason to make
margaritas in celebration of Scalia's death. Celebrated civil rights lawyer
Clarence Darrow once said, "All men have an emotion to kill; when they strongly
dislike some one they involuntarily wish he was dead. I have never killed any
one, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction." His is my
sentiment. I disagree strongly with anyone who frames differences with Scalia
as "political" ones. It's reductionist and revisionist, reducing important
moral imperatives down to little more than questions that could be resolved in
many ways. The problems with Scalia were bigger than that.

The Constitution of the United States is not a legal document. The people who
interpret it are making legal distinctions off of the document, and the people
who argue using it are making legal arguments based upon it. But it is not a
legal document. It's a moral document. It's a founding principle that gives
equal rights to all men, regardless of race, religion, class or station. It's a
document that understood how important it was to protect certain moral truths
from the whims of politics. The Sixth Amendment exists because the founders
recognized that a fair trial wasn't something to be left to voters, who are
prone to getting things very wrong a few times before they get things right.
The Fifth Amendment is there because the right of non-incrimination shouldn't
be left to a guy who just discovered the criminal justice system when he
stumbled upon Making a Murderer just before Christmas. That anyone believes
they have "political" differences with Antonin Scalia is proof enough that his
visage is worth truthful dissection.

I differed most with Scalia on the death penalty and the treatment of condemned
people. Today, I've watched as fellow criminal defenders have posted pictures
of the justice, and even as some lamented the harsh treatment of the justice.
One broke down her opinions as a mere "disagreement" on ideological grounds.
She acted as if her and Scalia agreed on the importance of educating our
children, but disagreed on the proper way to do it. That???s a political
disagreement. With Scalia, it's much deeper than that.

I'm friends with Anthony Graves, the 12th man ever exonerated off of death row
in Texas, the 138th exonerated nationally. He's a black man who was sentenced
to death for a mass child murder that he knew nothing about, only after
prosecutors hid evidence, coerced witnesses, and manipulated the jury in the
media. He was exonerated only after 18 years in custody. He suffered immensely,
enduring solitary confinement, missing out on birthdays, Christmas mornings,
and Easter egg hunts with his children. That he's now out and using his voice
to change the world does not make up for the wrong that was done to him. My
friend petitioned the Supreme Court to take up his case after his appeals were
denied in state court and the lower levels of the federal system. As in most
death penalty cases, the Supreme Court declined to take up my friend's case.
Antonin Scalia left my friend to die. He didn't care.

And why would he? Scalia once famously declared:

This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a
convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to
convince a habeas court that he is "actually" innocent. Quite to the contrary,
we have repeatedly left that question unresolved, while expressing considerable
doubt that any claim based on alleged "actual innocence" is constitutionally
cognizable.

For the uninitiated, the justice was saying, in effect, that the constitution
is no barrier to executing a man who is actually innocent so long as that death
sentence has been obtained in a nominally "legal" manner. He had other death
penalty opinions that stood out, too. In 1994, Justice Harry Blackmun wrote an
opinion questioning the constitutionality of the death penalty. Scalia
responded by picking out what he perceived to be the worst of worst in death
penalty cases. He picked Henry Lee McCollum, writing that McCollum's case was a
great example of why the death penalty was still necessary. He wrote:

"For example, the case of an 11-year-old girl raped by four men and then killed
by stuffing her panties down her throat. How enviable a quiet death by lethal
injection compared with that!"

McCollum walked off of death row in 2015 after DNA evidence proved his
innocence. So much for Scalia???s model case. You see, Scalia was prone to
pronouncements that amounted to little more than demagoguery. His statements
contributed to decades of operation of the machinery of death, which took lives
in brutal state-sponsored murder.

Of course he didn't stop at the death penalty. He dissented in Lawrence v.
Texas, standing short in his belief that states should be allowed to jail gay
people for having sex. His most recent headlines came when he suggested in an
affirmative action case that black men might be better off at "less advanced
schools," where they might do better.

To cloak these moral distinctions as "political differences" is disingenuous.
It's the sort of stuff that will allow an Antonin Scalia monument to be erected
somewhere in honor of his "passion" or "service" in the decades to come, as the
younger public is duped into believing that his opinions were just the product
of a different kind of legal reasoning. Since when did adjectives like
"passionate" become a good thing without context? A man who is passionate about
causing pain isn't one to celebrate. In fact, it would have been better if he'd
pursued his agenda with far less passion. The "service" of a man who dedicated
his career to marginalizing the already marginalized is not a service we should
honor. That man would have been better off choosing a high-dollar law firm,
where he could have marshaled his considerable legal skills in favor of money
before running himself into the ground.

Death does not wash away the stench of planned cruelty. Scalia holds more moral
responsibility for his decisions than the average villain. His weren't
in-the-moment mistakes made under pressure. They were calculated judgments made
after hours, days, and weeks of reflection. They were opinions written with the
greatest of care.

To reduce these opinions, and these differences to the unmoving label of
"political" does a disservice to the pain his decisions brought to actual human
beings. Like the little man with the teenage beard, Scalia's actions weren't
without a victim. When he wrote of the death penalty, he directly weighed on my
friend Anthony and plenty of others, too. When he ruled in Lawrence, he laid
the groundwork for much of the hate that's made assaults on gay men and women a
thing that we must tackle in 2016. If you call these political differences, as
if they're just different methods of solving a problem, you demonstrate a
stunning lack of understanding that when Antonin Scalia spoke and wrote, his
words carried unique power that often led to death, added to prejudice, and
threatened to set America back a hundred years.

(source: grizzard; indybay.org)