[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----UTAH, MONT., CALIF., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Feb 16 09:38:45 CST 2016

Feb. 16

UTAH:

The high cost of the death penalty: $1.6 million is just the tip of the iceberg

Utah has filed 110 Aggravated Murder cases in the last 11 years, but has
achieved only one execution, and only 1 new death sentence in that time.

Republicans are sponsoring a bill in the 2016 legislative session to repeal the
death penalty. The purpose of the bill is to eliminate an extremely expensive
and grossly ineffective government program.

In 2012 the Utah Legislature's Fiscal Analyst's Office completed a study
comparing the cost of a typical Aggravated Murder case in which the death
penalty was sought and obtained, with the costs of an Aggravated Murder case in
which the death penalty was never sought and a sentence of Life Without
Possibility of Parole (LWOP) was obtained. That study determined that the
additional cost of just one case ending in execution was about $1.6 million
more than 1 LWOP case.

As striking as the $1.6 million number is, it is just the tip of the iceberg
when it comes to the cost of the death penalty. Only 10% of an iceberg is
visible above the water line. If you are measuring the size of the iceberg you
must count the full mass of the iceberg. The same is true of the cost of the
death penalty. The full cost of achieving 1 execution, or "cost per execution,"
must include the costs incurred in all the other death-eligible cases that do
not result in execution.

Utah has filed 110 Aggravated Murder cases in the last 11 years, but has
achieved only one execution, and only one new death sentence in that time.
These other death-eligible cases may not result in execution for several
reasons: They may be resolved by plea bargain before trial, or the defendant
may not be convicted of Aggravated Murder at trial, or the jury may vote for a
sentence other than death. But, the extra expenses begin mounting as soon as
counsel is appointed in each potential death penalty case.

For example, in 2015, Washington State found that the additional cost per case
to the state for a death penalty case was $1 million. Then, adding in the
estimated costs incurred in all the death-eligible cases that did not result in
execution, and dividing that total amount by the 5 executions Washington had
since 1976, resulted in a cost per execution of about $24 million. That is 24
times the additional costs of one capital case.

Similarly, a 2008 study in Maryland found that the additional cost per case for
a case resulting in a death sentence was about $2 million more per case than
when the death penalty was not sought. Then, adding in the estimated costs
incurred in all of the death-eligible cases that did not result in execution,
and dividing that total amount by the 5 executions Maryland had since 1976,
resulted in a cost per execution of $37.2 million. That is 18.6 times the
additional costs of one capital case.

Utah's statistics are similar to those of Washington and Maryland. Utah has had
only 7 executions since 1976. Utah's 2012 cost analysis reasonably estimated
that the additional cost per case to prosecute a case to execution is $1.6
million, which is right in the middle of the additional cost per case estimates
of Maryland ($2 million) and Washington ($1 million). Now, even if Utah's
multiple for death-eligible cases not ending in execution were only half that
of Washington and Maryland, say 10, then Utah's estimated cost per execution
would be over $16 million per execution.

Moreover, not only is the death penalty shockingly expensive, it is also
grossly ineffective. The State very rarely achieves an execution. As noted,
Utah has filed 110 Aggravated Murder cases in the last 11 years, but has
achieved only 1 execution and 1 new death sentence in that time. Would we
accept a Fire Department that only showed up at only 1 of every 110 fires?
Would we tolerate a Roads Department that fixed only 1 of every 110 potholes?
What is the point of paying for the death penalty system if the prosecutions
almost never result in executions?

Another important "cost" of the death penalty is a human one. When the State
seeks the death penalty, the families of the murder victims have to wait
decades for the cases, including appeals, to come to an end. And, for the vast
majority, those cases never do end in an execution. But when the death penalty
is not sought, none of the costs or delays associated with a death case are
incurred. The families get swift and sure justice. And for the most dangerous
murderers, an LWOP sentence ensures that the murderer will never leave prison.

Utah policymakers should apply that same prudent analysis as they did with last
year's Justice Reinvestment Initiative, and cut out these wasteful costs by
eliminating the death penalty. A sentence of LWOP provides swift and sure
justice to the families of victims. And the millions saved by eliminating
wasteful death penalty prosecutions could be invested in more productive crime
prevention measures, or returned to taxpayers in the form of a tax cut.

(source: Opinion; Ralph Dellapiana is Director of Utahns for Alternatives to
the Death Penalty----Deseret News)

************************

Lawmaker wants to abolish death penalty in conservative Utah

A Republican lawmaker wants Utah to join 19 states and the District of Columbia
in abolishing the death penalty, but supporters acknowledge that it's a long
shot in the conservative state.

Sen. Steve Urquhart of St. George said Wednesday that the delays and costs
associated with executions make it an ineffective punishment. His proposal has
not yet been unveiled, but he said he is not sure the government should be in
the business of killing people.

"We understand that government is not perfect. And that realization to take
upon ourselves the godlike power of life and death - that's something we should
really think about," he said.

Urquhart knows there is strong support for capital punishment in Utah, but he
said its expense and the chance of wrongful convictions might resonate with his
libertarian and conservative colleagues.

A panel of state lawmakers debated the issue in October, weighing whether a
repeal would be the most moral and cost-effective path. They didn't take action
but brought up a 2012 legislative report that estimated each capital punishment
case costs taxpayers about $1.7 million more than a life sentence.

The number was based on the assumption that each inmate spends about 20 years
on death row appealing their sentence.

The state's last execution was in 2010, and the 9 inmates on death row are all
years away from exhausting their appeals.

"In Utah, we almost don't have a death penalty because it happens so
infrequently," said Republican Rep. Stephen Handy, who opposes execution.

Handy of Layton called it an important discussion to have but said he doesn't
think it will go anywhere this year.

Republican Gov. Gary Herbert said in October that he's a strong supporter of
capital punishment but it should only be used for "the most heinous of crimes."
Herbert signed a law last year that bolstered the state's execution policy by
ordering that a firing squad be used if lethal injection drugs cannot be
obtained.

Urquhart acknowledged that he voted in favor of the firing squad bill, saying
that because Utah has capital punishment on the books, "firing squad is as
quick and effective as any means."

He said his proposal would allow executions to go forward for the nine people
on death row now but remove it as an option for any new convictions. He said he
doesn't want to interfere with those pending cases out of concern it will cause
further pain for the victims' families.

Providing a sense of justice for victims and their families is a reason to keep
the death penalty, said Republican Sen. Lyle Hillyard of Logan. He said he
would oppose Urquhart's proposal.

Democratic Sen. Luz Escamilla of Salt Lake City said she would support
Urquhart's proposal but didn't know where her Democratic colleagues stood and
whether their support might help it pass the Republican-controlled Legislature.

Urquhart said he's been discussing it with his colleagues and thinks it may
pass the Senate.

"If you're betting, bet against it," he said. "But I'm kind of optimistic. We
are a libertarian state and that leads us to do some interesting things at
times."

(source: Associated Press)

MONTANA:

Mother of victim finds closure after former death row inmate dies in DOC
infirmary

Montana State Prison inmate Dewey Eugene Coleman died on Sunday at the
Lewistown Infirmary of natural causes, according to a news release from the
Montana Department of Corrections. He was 67.

Coleman was on death row for almost 15 years before his sentence was commuted
to life in prison.

"I'm not sending flowers," said Eleanor Harstad Neurohr on Monday. Neurohr is
the mother of Peggy Lee Harstad, the woman Coleman was convicted of killing in
1974.

On July 4, 1974, Harstad, 21, was returning home to Rosebud from a 4th of July
rodeo in Harlowton. She was spending the summer at her family's farm before
beginning her teaching career in Plains.

On the drive, her path crossed Dewey Eugene Coleman and Robert Dennis Nank. The
2 had been riding a motorcycle through Montana after leaving a veterans'
hospital in Wyoming, where they had been treated for medical issues related to
mental health. Their motorcycle had broken down and were stopping vehicles
asking for assistance.

When Harstad came upon the two men, they took control of her vehicle, a
light-green car with a white-and-green checkerboard top. A friend had brought
the car back from California for Harstad, Neurohr said.

The men drove Harstad to a secluded area where they bound and sexually
assaulted her; Nank later stated he was impotent at the time and did not
succeed in assaulting Harstad. They drove with Harstad a little longer before
they allowed her to get dressed again and then killed her by holding her down
in the Yellowstone River until she drowned.

The next day, Neurohr drove to the Harstad family ranch outside Forsyth into
town to grab coffee with friends and run errands. As she headed into town, she
saw the unmistakable checkered top of her daughter's car. She thought it was
unusual to see a car so similar to her daughter's, but believed it was a road
worker's. She was at a cafe when a call came in to the business; John Harstad,
Peggy Harstad's father, was on the line.

"He asked me if I knew where Peggy was, and I said, 'Yes, I think she's at a
girlfriend's house or maybe with Lynda, her sister,'" Neurohr said in an
interview with the Gazette on Monday. "And John said, 'Well, a car with her
license plate was found parked along Frontage Road.'"

Neurohr and her husband saw their daughter everywhere after that. The whole
town rallied to help them find her. They even called in a Native American
clairvoyant from Hardin who stayed at the Harstad ranch. Neurohr still credits
the woman with pointing the family to the area on the Yellowstone River where
Harstad's body was found.

"Peggy was right across from where she said she would be," Neurohr said. "2
fisherman found her, and I remember, it had rained a lot that year, so the
river was very high, and Coleman and Nank hadn't put Peggy in the main stream,
so, when the water receded, the 2 fisherman saw her body."

Her body was discovered in late August 1974 on the north bank of the
Yellowstone River near Forsyth.

"They wouldn't let me see her," Neurohr said. "I wanted so badly to see her."

The night before Peggy Harstad's death, she kissed both her parents and thanked
them for all they'd done for her.

"She was kind, a loving, good-natured person," Neurohr said. When Harstad would
come home from college, her sister Lynda Ottun would walk over from where she
and her husband lived, and the 3 women would visit in the kitchen together. The
girls would sit together on the counters laughing and chatting while Neurohr
prepared dinner or lunch, Neurohr said.

"I miss that," Neurohr said. After Peggy Harstad's death, Neurohr said she
could never again get close to her older daughter.

"Sometimes I wish I'd asked her, talked to her about it," Neurohr said. "But we
were all hurting, hurting so deeply."

Nank and Coleman were arrested in October 1974 in Boise. Nank entered a plea
agreement to avoid the death penalty, in exchange for testifying against
Coleman. Nank confessed that he and Coleman had raped, beaten and drowned
Harstad, while Coleman denied that he was involved. Both were charged with
deliberate homicide, aggravated kidnapping and rape, according to Gazette
archives.

Nank died in 1999 according to Montana State Death Records.

Coleman was convicted and sentenced to 100 years for the homicide and 40 years
for the rape charge. He received the death sentence for his conviction of
aggravated kidnapping, a mandatory sentence at the time. That law was repealed
in 1977.

Coleman appealed his sentence, and the Montana Supreme Court determined the
mandatory death sentence to be unconstitutional. Coleman was again sentenced to
death in 1978 under a new statute.

Just days before the hanging was to take place, Coleman was granted a stay of
execution.

Coleman later argued that his death sentence was handed down because he was
black, and that Nank was given preferential treatment because he was white.

The 2 men are interchangeable to Neurohr, who said the death penalty wasn't
good enough for either.

"My daughter suffered at their hands," Neurohr said. "They should suffer. That
was my hate talking at the time, but I still feel what they got was far too
plush."

Both men pointed the finger at the other after the death of her daughter, but
both could have stopped it, she said.

"Killing my daughter, through that, I lost my husband," Neurohr said. John
Harstad died from a heart attack in 1989, a month after an interview with the
Gazette about his daughter's death, in which he remarked on the overwhelming
support from the community. "It was just all too late," he had said of their
efforts.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in favor of Coleman in 1988,
commuting his death sentence to life imprisonment.

Neurohr is the last surviving member of Peggy Harstad's direct family. Her
sister, Lynda Ottun, died from cancer in 2005. Her adoptive brother, Rowland
Limberhand Harstad, died in 2009 from a heart attack. The youngest brother,
Monte Harstad, died in 2013, also following a battle with cancer.

"Monte always thought he should have been with her," Neurohr said. "Even though
he was just a little tyke, he thought, maybe if he'd been with her, she would
have come home."

In May 1974, a few months before Harstad was killed, she told her mother where
she wanted to be buried when she died. She pointed to a big hill where she used
to ride her horse, Neurohr said. From the top, she could see the family's
entire ranch.

"I remember I told her, 'Peggy, we're not going to talk about it, we're not
going to think about it," Neurohr said. "'Parents don't bury their children.'"

Coleman would have been eligible for parole this year. A previous hearing with
the Montana Board of Pardons and Parole in 2011 did not go in his favor.

"I'm happy about it," Neurohr said of Coleman's death. "But there's closure, it
gives you a feeling, I can't really explain the feeling, it has all come to the
end."

(source: Billings Gazette)

CALIFORNIA:

Readers answer our question about the California death penalty: Letters

We asked readers: Is it time to put an end to the death penalty in California?

Death penalty more costly than life without parole

It's time to end the death penalty in California. Since it was reenacted in our
state in 1978, we have spent $5 billion on a system that has sentenced over
1,000 men and women to death while executing 13 of them. That comes to over
$300 million per execution. And for what?

Killing is not only wrong, when done by the state, it's an incredibly
complicated, lengthy and expensive process.

Over 150 men and women who were sentenced to death in the U.S. have been
exonerated and freed, many after spending decades on death row. Los Angeles
just paid out $17 million to two of them who had been wrongly convicted.

Last year, federal Judge Cormac Carney held California's death penalty
unconstitutional, saying, "For all practical purposes then, a sentence of death
in California is a sentence of life imprisonment with the remote possibility of
death."

Hard as it is for some to believe, the death penalty is much more costly than
life without parole. Killing is wrong in every way; let's get out of the
business.

Mike Farrell, Studio City

----

Victims' lives matter most

I don't understand how anybody believes that a murderer deserves to live out
the rest of their lives supported by the taxpayers, including the murder
victim's family.

I don't believe the death penalty is appropriate in all cases because each case
has its own circumstances.

But in a case where a person has been found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt
and the crime includes other crimes such as rape, torture, multiple murders,
that person should lose his life.

I hear the argument that the state has no right to take a life or the state is
behaving just as brutally as the murderer. Those are fallacious arguments. When
you let a vicious convicted murderer live out his natural life you are
cheapening the worth of the victim.

Ken Pinckney, Walnut

----

Risk of mistakes too great

It is time to abolish the death penalty.

First, mistakes have been made. DNA has proven that convictions have been in
error. Second, there are over-zealous prosecutors who may knowingly push for
convictions of innocent people. And lastly, the cost to taxpayers for endless
appeals is too great.

Do not misunderstand. There are individuals so evil that they deserve to be put
to death. However, if even one innocent person is executed, then the cost is
too high.

Terry Hales, Ontario

----

Some forfeit right to life

In the early '90s while visiting my mother she asked my opinion of the death
penalty. I immediately responded that there are people who have committed acts
of such a nature that they have forfeited their right to live. That is still my
opinion.

Robert S. Kennedy Jr., Camarillo

----

Revenge isn't worth it

There is no excuse ever for a society which calls itself civilized to have
capital punishment. It doesn't bring the victims back. It does not right any
wrong. It is simply revenge.

I would rather see 100 prisoners housed at public expense than to see one
person wrongly executed for a crime they did not commit. I don't give the state
permission to murder in my name.

Gary Durward, Rancho Palos Verdes

(source for all: Letters to the Editor, Los Angeles Daily News)

*****************

Lonnie Franklin Jr., accused of being 'Grim Sleeper' serial killer, goes on
trial

30 years after the first of the Grim Sleeper serial killer victims was found
fatally shot and discarded in a South Los Angeles alley, Lonnie David Franklin
Jr. will face a jury Tuesday in a downtown courtroom.

Franklin, a former garbage collector and police garage attendant, is charged
with killing 1 girl and 9 women ranging in age from 15 to 35 over a span of 3
decades. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty. Opening statements begin
Tuesday.

The killings for which Franklin is charged came in spurts that were 13 years
apart, resulting in the nickname "the Grim Sleeper" for the period of apparent
inactivity.

Franklin, 63, has pleaded not guilty. His attorney has promised a vigorous
defense of the man neighbors described as friendly, helpful and reliable.

"All I can say is stayed tuned," said the lawyer, Seymour Amster.

The trial is expected to last 2 to 3 months, said Deputy District Attorney Beth
Silverman, the lead prosecutor on the case.

A case with a lot of notoriety

The case has already spawned a documentary about Franklin, an "official"
website and a made-for-TV movie about a local reporter whose stories for the LA
Weekly drew attention to the case.

The LAPD has been both criticized for failing to alert the community sooner
that there was a serial killer on the prowl (before Franklin was identified by
name) and heralded for doggedly pursuing the case once the more recent slayings
were discovered.

Evidence in the case will span three decades of policing in Los Angeles: From
the murderous, crack-fueled 1980s, during which at least 2 serial killers were
operating in South L.A., to the relative calm of the 2000s and the creation of
an LAPD cold case unit charged with taking fresh looks at unsolved slayings, to
the modern era of advanced DNA testing.

Prosecutors say they have tied Franklin to the killings with physical evidence,
including saliva collected from bodies, and ballistic matches between slugs
recovered from crime scenes and a .25 caliber handgun seized from Franklin's
home the day he was arrested.

A woman alleged to be a surviving victim of Franklin is expected to be a star
witness against him.

Enietra Washington was shot in the chest with a .25 caliber handgun and
sexually assaulted before escaping. She has since identified Franklin as her
assailant. In addition to the 10 counts of murder, Franklin is charged with 1
count of attempted murder in Washington's attack.

(source: Fox news)

USA:

Former Ga. Justice: Scalia Death May Alter SCOTUS On Death Penalty

The U.S. Supreme Court could take a different stance on capital punishment with
the death of Justice Antonin Scalia.

That's according to Norman Fletcher, former chief justice of Georgia's Supreme
Court and an opponent of the death penalty, who said he believes the country's
highest court will rule the practice unconstitutional in the next 3 to 6 years.

"Anyone that President Obama might nominate - and if they were cleared -
certainly would be more moderate than Justice Scalia on this subject," Fletcher
said.

Fletcher said that it's also possible with a nominee from a Republican
president because of how justices actually vote when they get to the bench.

"Frankly, many people have been surprised at how people turn out once they get
to the court and have to actually deal with the issues that are so well-briefed
and presented to the Supreme Court," Fletcher said.

He cited the dissenting opinion in the Glossip v. Gross case out of Oklahoma
regarding lethal injection practices as a sign the court could end the death
penalty within the next decade.

In the dissent, Justice Breyer wrote, "I believe it highly likely that the
death penalty violates the Eighth Amendment. At the very least, the Court
should call for full briefing on the basic question."

Justice Scalia had often dissented in cases that restricted carrying out the
death penalty, including the case of Georgia death row inmate Troy Davis, who
was executed in 2011. Scalia wrote a dissenting opinion to a decision that sent
Davis' case down to a lower court in Georgia for a new hearing, calling it a
"fool's errand."

Georgia is set to execute its second death row inmate this year the night of
Tuesday, Feb. 16. Travis Clinton Hittson is scheduled for execution at 7 p.m.
for murdering a fellow Navy sailor in 1992.

(source: WABE news)

******************

Scalia's death: Another step in the demise of the death penalty?

With executions long on hold here in North Carolina, it's easy to forget that
we still have a long way to go in joining the most of the rest of the civilized
world in abandoning the death penalty. What's more, as this recent post by
Kristin Collins on the blog of the NC Coalition for Alternatives to the Death
Penalty reminds us, men still reside on death row in our state who were
sentenced under the most absurd and outrageous of circumstances. Here's
Collins:

"Almost a year ago, Kenneth Neal was quietly removed from death row after 19
years awaiting his execution.

According to the judge's order entered that day in March 2015, Neal was
resentenced to life in prison without parole because he is intellectually
disabled. In the years since Neal's 1996 conviction, the Supreme Court has
ruled that it is unconstitutional to execute people with significant
intellectual disabilities.

What went unmentioned is that Neal likely never would have been sentenced to
death in the first place had he not been assigned a notorious convicted felon
as a defense attorney.

On trial for his life, the courts assigned Neal an attorney who had, just a few
years before when he was a district attorney, been caught up in a highly
publicized child pornography sting. The attorney had been caught with sex tapes
of children as young as 7 and 8, performing incestuous sex acts between
siblings and parents - and the jury was well aware of the lawyer's crimes.

Of course, such facts would have been unlikely to trouble the late Supreme
Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who infamously declared that the Constitution did
not bar the execution of even an innocent person who had received a "fair"
trial.

In the weeks and months to come, it's clear that the vacancy on the U.S.
Supreme Court created by Scalia's passing will force the Court closer to the
center of the American political debate than, perhaps, ever before. And
whatever the outcome of that contest, it's hard to imagine that the next
Justice appointed will be as avid and enthusiastic of a death penalty defender
as Scalia.

Let's fervently hope that's the case, anyway.

(source: Commentary, Rick Schofield; ncpolicywatch.org)

****************

Cruz makes his Supreme Court knowledge new focal point

Ted Cruz has always talked about the Supreme Court as a candidate for
president, but it's become the new focal point of his White House bid following
the weekend death of Justice Antonin Scalia.

The Texas senator on Monday recast the stump speech he's offered voters for the
past several weeks to highlight the importance of electing a conservative who
will appoint what he called the right kind of justices to the Supreme Court,
which he described as currently being "activist" and "out of control."

Cruz argued before the Supreme Court nine times by age 40, winning two cases
and losing four, with three cases having a murkier outcome. He says that gives
him alone "the background, the principle, the character, the judgment" to find
a solid conservative to replace Scalia.

The tea party darling also has vowed to filibuster any nominees offered by
President Barack Obama, saying 1 more liberal Supreme Court justice could wipe
out state-level abortion restrictions while undermining religious liberty and
curtailing gun ownership.

"This presidential election is the turning point between either prevailing or
losing that fight for a generation," Cruz told a crowd in Florence, South
Carolina.

A graduate of Harvard Law School, Cruz clerked for Supreme Court Chief Justice
William Rehnquist. His high court arguments were the bedrock of his underdog
Senate victory in Texas and are woven into the DNA of his presidential run.

If elected, Cruz would be the ninth president to have argued before the Supreme
Court, but the first since Richard Nixon in 1966, according to The American Bar
Association. Cruz constantly reminds audiences he defended states' rights, gun
rights, the Ten Commandments and capital punishment before the high court.

He doesn't suggest he won every case, but Cruz's defeats can get lost in
translation. While canvassing for Cruz in Iowa last month, a volunteer visiting
from Georgia proclaimed to caucus-goers that her candidate "won every one" of
his 9 cases.

Cruz did prevail in his final Supreme Court appearance. He won a patent
infringement case in 2011 involving a deep fat fryer while working for a
private Houston law firm.

His other 8 appearances came during his five years as Texas solicitor general,
a job he took on in 2003 at 32. Cruz didn't get to pick his own cases as he
argued for Texas. But then-Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, now the state's
governor, encouraged him to join out-of-state cases that could promote
conservative values.

"Ted Cruz was tireless in searching for every possible opportunity, not just to
talk about, but to implement and execute, a conservative constitutional vision
for the country," said James Ho, Cruz's successor as Texas solicitor general.

In his first Supreme Court case in 2003, Cruz argued Texas shouldn't have to
honor an agreement to improve health coverage for poor children. He lost 9-0.

The following year, Cruz implored the Supreme Court to uphold a 16-year prison
sentence for a man convicted of stealing a calculator from Wal-Mart. The
justices remanded the case to a lower court, which sentenced the man to time
served.

The case Cruz most trumpets brought him to the Supreme Court twice and involved
a Mexican national named Jose Ernesto Medellin.

Medellin was convicted of the rape and murder of 2 teenage girls in Houston in
1993, but wasn't notified of his right to contact Mexican diplomats upon
arrest, as dictated by the 1963 Vienna Convention. The International Court of
Justice ruled in 2004 that U.S. courts should review the convictions and
sentences for Medellin and 50 other Mexican-born prisoners because of the
treaty violation.

President George W. Bush directed state courts to review such cases, and Texas
sued.

"It was an unusual circumstance," Cruz, who once worked for Bush's presidential
campaign and administration, told The Associated Press in 2014. "Especially
when the president was a Texan, was a Republican and was a friend."

The Supreme Court first sent the case back to state courts. Upon hearing it a
second time, the justices sided with Texas 6-3 and Medellin was executed.

In 2006, Cruz defended congressional redistricting maps drawn by Texas'
GOP-controlled Legislature. The Supreme Court didn't declare them
unconstitutional, despite claims they deliberately dispersed the voting power
of the state's growing Hispanic population. But it did rule that a sprawling
South Texas congressional district had to be redrawn.

2 more Cruz Supreme Court arguments came in 2007 and involved the death
penalty.

Cruz argued a man convicted of killing a former Taco Bell co-worker should be
executed despite the jury not being instructed to consider several factors,
including his having been abused as a child. Cruz also defended the death
sentence of a killer whose schizophrenia meant he might not be able to
understand why he was being executed. He lost both 5-4.

Cruz also lost 5-4 his final case as solicitor general, an unsuccessful defense
of states' imposing the death penalty in cases of child rape. It originated in
Louisiana, but Cruz served as lead attorney for 10 states.

In his filings, Cruz overlooked that in 2006, Congress had modified the
military's justice code to add child rape as a crime punishable by death. He
was so worried that The New York Times would write that his office "screwed up
by not finding" that statue that he wrote to another attorney via email: "Would
love to have some sort of response, so we don't look silly."

(source: Associated Press)

*********************

E.U.: Declaration by the Committee of Ministers on the death penalty in the USA

The following declaration was adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 10
February 2016 at the 1247th meeting of the Ministers' Deputies.

The Committee of Ministers deplores the execution of 5 persons in the United
States since the beginning of 2016.

It recalls that capital punishment contravenes the principles set out in the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in the European Convention on Human
Rights and reiterates its appeal to the United States authorities to introduce
a moratorium on the death penalty as a 1st step towards abolition.

The Committee of Ministers is following with concern the debate relating to the
lifting of the moratorium on executions in the State of California following
the possible introduction of a new lethal injection protocol.

It urges the Californian authorities not to go back on the moratorium put in
place in 2006 so as to ensure that the death penalty remains a thing of the
past.

(source: Council of Europe; altervista.org)