[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, IND., S. DAK., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Jan 5 12:44:31 CST 2015

Jan. 5

TEXAS----impending execution re-set

Execution next week for killer of girl, 4, reset for April

The execution of a Corpus Christi man set for next week for the beating death
of his 4-year-old stepdaughter nearly 17 years ago has been rescheduled for
April.

Richard Vasquez had been scheduled for lethal injection Jan. 15 for the March
1998 death of Miranda Nicole Lopez. A state district judge in Nueces County has
reset the punishment for April 23. Vasquez's lawyer, Andrew Edison, said Monday
that prosecutors requested the delay.

Vasquez contended the child fell from a stool in a bathroom while brushing her
teeth and injured her head. Evidence showed she had suffered far more serious
injuries.

The 35-year-old Vasquez is among 13 Texas death row inmates set to die in the
next several months, including 3 scheduled for later this month.

Executions under Rick Perry, 2001-present-----279

Executions in Texas: Dec. 7, 1982-present----518

Perry #--------scheduled execution date-----name---------Tx. #

Executions under Greg Abbott, 2015-present

Executions in Texas: Dec. 7, 1982----present

Abbott#--------scheduled execution date-----name------------Tx. #

1------------Jan. 21-------------------Arnold Prieto---------519

2------------Jan. 28-------------------Garcia White---------520

3------------Jan. 29-------------------Robert Ladd----------521

4------------Feb. 4--------------------Donald Newbury------522

5------------Feb. 10-------------------Les Bower, Jr.--------523

6------------Mar. 5--------------------Rodney Reed----------524

7------------Mar. 11-------------------Manuel Vasquez------525

8------------Mar. 18-------------------Randall Mays----------526

9------------Apr. 9--------------------Kent Sprouse-----------527

10-----------Apr. 15-------------------Manual Garza----------528

11-----------Apr. 23-------------------Richard Vasquez------529

11-----------Apr. 28-------------------Robert Pruett-----------530

12-----------May 12--------------------Derrick Charles-------531

(sources: TDCJ & Rick Halperin)

INDIANA:

Competency could be key for death penalty in Indiana case

Indiana law experts say the mental health of a northwestern Indiana man charged
with strangling 2 women and suspected of killing 5 others could complicate the
case but shouldn't prevent the state from seeking the death penalty.

43-year-old Darren Vann of Gary is charged with murder in the deaths of
19-year-old Afrikka Hardy and 35-year-old Anith Jones of Merrillville. He is a
suspect in 5 other deaths.

Valparaiso University Law School Dean Andrea Lyon tells The Times of Munster
that even if records show Vann has a history of mental illness, the state can
still seek the death penalty.

Lyon says the defense could argue Vann isn't fit for trial or claim insanity.
But Lyon says it's difficult to prove a defendant is insane and not fit for
trial.

(source: Associated Press)

SOUTH DAKOTA:

'The Human Face of the Death Penalty': Program planned Thursday at Holy Trinity
Catholic Church; all welcome!

South Dakotans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty will be lobbying in Pierre
this legislative session in a bid to change the law, the SDADP director said.

Dennis Davis, who lives in Burbank, will be sharing "The Human Face of the
Death Penalty" at 7 p.m. Thursday at Holy Trinity Catholic Church, 425 21st St.
S.W. Everyone is welcome to attend. Davis, who is also a hospice chaplain, has
been involved in Catholic Social Teaching for 30 years.

The program is sponsored by the Holy Trinity Health Cabinet. For more
information call 352-2203.

South Dakotans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty was organized in 2010, and
Davis went before the legislature the 1st time in 2013.

"We didn't bring a bill that year," Davis said. "We did last year, but it
failed in committee by 1 vote."

As a registered lobbyist for SDADP, Davis talks to legislators and enlists a
sponsor in both the House and Senate to push the bill forward.

Davis said the bill will be to repeal the death penalty for a Class A felony
from South Dakota law. A Class A felony is the only crime for which a death
penalty can be handed down.

So far 18 states have abolished the death penalty, with 6 joining the ranks in
the past 6 years.

"It's very expensive, death cases are more expensive than any other because of
the appeals," Davis said. "The average is 14 years on death row in the United
States."

There are currently three on death row in South Dakota.

In California, where 720 wait on death row, it costs "$120 million a year just
to keep them maintained."

"The death penalty is not about what they do, it is about what we do," Davis
said. "It's a law we have made to get our revenge for killing someone. What is
that teaching our kids and grandchildren?"

Davis said repeal of the death penalty is important on several fronts. So far,
147 people that were convicted and executed have been found to be innocent.

1 in South Dakota in the late 19th century involved a man who was hung for
killing his wife. His innocence was revealed years later when his stepdaughter
confessed to the murder shortly before her death.

"Are we the ones to choose life and death?" Davis asked. "They deserve to have
consequences for their terrible behavior, but we think life in prison without
parole is adequate. We have means to keep society safe from these people."

Davis talked about a film to be released next year about two executioners with
the Texas prison system who ended up with post-traumatic stress disorder
because of their work.

"They had executed a bunch of people and they couldn't live with themselves,"
Davis said. "I can't imagine what that would be like.

"To even think that taking someone else's life will give them (victim's family)
closure, that's a fantasy," he said.

One of the pillars of Catholic social teaching is that all mankind is made in
the likeness and image of God, Davis said.

"We have to honor the dignity of that person, he is human and made in the
likeness of God," he said. "They deserve to have consequences for their
terrible behavior, but would we not want to give them a chance to be reconciled
with themselves, God and (the) victim's family? It does happen, not a lot, but
it does happen."

Since 1996, Americans in favor of the death penalty have dropped from 78 % to
55 %, Davis said. At the same time, people against the death penalty rose 18 %.

"It's still not a margin but awareness is growing," Davis said. "This is not
something that will happen right away. Awareness is really growing. We're going
to get this done. It will take time, but I have great hope that we will get
this done.

"That's why we continue to take it back to the legislature," he added. "You can
only go through the legislature to repeal this law."

(source: The Plainsman)

USA:

Death Penalty Cases: A rural prosecutor's unique dilemma

Editor's Note: This year marks the 10th anniversary of a random killing that
stunned a community: a farming family in the Texas panhandle, murdered as they
slept. In 2005, an intruder shot and killed a pregnant mother, her husband, her
14 year old son, and their dog. He also shot at, but failed to kill, the
youngest member of the family, 10-year-old Robin Doan.

The killer, Levi King, pleaded guilty to the murders. The Gray County District
Attorney at the time, Lynn Switzer, recalls the difficult decision of whether
to seek the death penalty for the killing of Robin Doan's family.

I carefully put my pen down on my desk next to the document I had been
considering over the past several months and turn wearily towards the windows
of my office. I leaned back in my chair as I look out onto the panoramic view
from my fourth floor office, reflecting back over the steps I took to reach
this point.

It was late, and the sun was slipping slowly below the horizon, leaving behind
blazing streaks of red and orange hues. The time had come to make a final
decision as to whether I seek the death penalty on my case. I know every
prosecutor has the same initial questions- does the case come within the
guidelines of the statute? Do I have enough evidence to prove the case beyond a
reasonable doubt? But there are some considerations that are unique to small
prosecutors' offices.

In a small community where everyone knows everyone the position of the family
is critical. It was important for me to consider the position of the surviving
victim and family members. I knew we would be working closely with them and I
needed their support no matter what I decided to do.

The consideration of available financial resources probably has more impact on
a small prosecutor's office than those of the larger urban offices. I had asset
forfeiture funds to cover the prosecution costs, but not all small offices have
those funds available. The State of Texas has a grant available to rural
offices to help with the costs.

More significant in the decision making process, though, is the local county
budget. I had to consider what kind of impact a lengthy capital murder trial
would have on the county and the taxpayers of my small community.

I only had 2 Assistant District Attorneys and a support staff of 5. The chances
of the case being transferred to another county were extremely high; this would
mean being out of town for long periods of time. I had to look at whether my
small office would be able to prosecute this case and still take care of the
everyday activities of a prosecutor's office responsible for 5 counties.

As I turned back to my desk I picked up my pen. Taking a deep breath, I signed
the document laying in front of me. I gathered my purse and briefcase and
walked out of my office, turning off the light as I left. I knew that the days
ahead would be challenging. Tomorrow I would file my notice of intent to seek
the death penalty on the case.

(source: Lynn Switzer, CBS news)