Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Sep 2 11:34:40 CDT 2016

Sept. 2

GHANA:

Ghana Has 137 Death Row Inmates - Amnesty International

Mr Lawrence Amesu, the Director of Amnesty International Ghana, said a lot had
been achieved towards ensuring that Ghana gained the status as abolitionist in
practice.

He said Ghana had not executed anyone over the past 23 years even though the
courts continued to sentence people to death, and "we have about 137 death row
inmates, including 3 women, in our prisons currently".

Speaking at the launch of Advocacy Toolkit for Abolition of Death Penalty in
West Africa, Mr Amesu said he believed that Amnesty International's submission
with support from other civil society organisations and the opinion of the
public had contributed to the recommendation that death penalty should be
abolished in Ghana.

He said though West Africa was leading that progressive forward march, however,
the Anglophone countries within the continent are dragging their feet while the
Francophone countries including Senegal, Ivory Coast, Togo, Benin, and Burkina
Faso had either abolished the death penalty or were doubling their steps
towards achieving that.

Mr Amesu said the toolkit was very useful for the media, civil society
organisations and para institutions which were advocating for the abolition of
the death penalty in Ghana as well as all government institutions which had a
stake in the process.

"The document will also be very useful for the youth not only as an advocacy
tool but also as a knowledge acquisition document because it highlights and
explains such terminologies as abolitionist, retentionist, clemency,
exoneration, and pardon, among others," he added.

The document, he said, traced the history and achievements of Amnesty
International's journey towards total abolition of the death penalty in the
world while focusing a little more on the situation in Africa and West Africa.

The toolkit also highlights the international instruments and bodies that
support the need for the abolition of the death penalty.

Dr Isaac Annan, a Director at CHRAJ, who chaired the function, said Ghana was
Human Rights compliant as it ratified most of the United Nations Conventions
and Resolutions, and reiterated the need for the country to abolish the death
penalty as a sign of commitment.

Ms Sabrina Tucci, of Amnesty International Secretariat, London, noted that West
Africa is a beacon of hope for the whole of Africa and urged civil society
organisations to continue the campaign.

She called on governments to engage the public in debates on the issue.

(source: peacefmonline.com)

PHILIPPINES:

'EVIL GIVEN FOR EVIL DONE' -- PDEA chief pushes death penalty

Calling it "evil given for evil done," the head of the Philippine Drug
Enforcement Agency called for the restoration of the death penalty for drug
manufacturers and peddlers, as well as those protecting the illegal trade.

PDEA director general Isidro Lapena echoed President Rodrigo Duterte's
description of capital punishment as "retribution" even as he maintained that
"we are not promoting a culture of violence here."

But those involved in the drug trade, he said, "have to pay. It is what is
given in return for past good or evil that you have done."

"Manufacturers, smugglers, pushers and all the more coddlers and protectors of
illegal drugs in the country, both foreign and domestic, who (are) proven
guilty in court, deserve nothing more than capital punishment," Lapena said.

At the same time, he said, "harsher penalties" are a deterrent, a "strong
signal" to drug traffickers "not to turn our country into a business hub for
drugs."

"Our judicial system must toughen up because foreign-led organized drug
syndicates tend to capitalize on our laws, which still have loose ends," he
added, noting that convicted drug lords continue to run their operations from
prison.

Since July 1, close to 2,000 lives have been lost in the course of the
administration's war on drugs, a toll that has drawn criticism from human
rights advocates here and abroad, as well as the United Nations.

(source: interaksyon.com)

INDONESIA:

Convicted Filipina drug mule in Indonesia pleads for help from Duterte

"I know you have a good heart. You are a parent as well. Even if my family is
poor, I will not be involved in illegal drugs. Even if they put me behind bars.
I cannot accept these accusations because I am innocent. I am innocent. I am
innocent."

These were the words of Mary Jane Veloso as she begged for the assistance of
President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday through a recorded voice message from her
family on July 31.

The 31-year-old Cabanatuan native is currently in death row in Indonesia on
drug trafficking charges. She was scheduled to be executed in April last year
but was granted a reprieve following an international outcry to spare her life.

As evidenced by her cracking voice, the sobbing Veloso pleaded for her freedom
from the president, who is notorious for his approach in eradicating the
illegal drug trade in the country.

"Beloved President of the Philippines. This is Mary Jane," the former domestic
helper said in her plea.

"I've been suffering here in Indonesia for too long. I've had to endure a lot
in my life and despite being poor, I am a God-fearing person," she said.

The past administration's efforts to bargain for Veloso's freedom have remained
futile, and she hopes to be free with Duterte's help.

"You're my only hope, dear President. I know you're the only one who could help
me," she said.

"I know a lot of people still believe and support me, but you know it works
differently here. I need justice, and I badly need it now. I'm begging you,"
she further said.

Despite being detained since 2010, Veloso remained hopeful that she would
receive pardon for a crime she said she didn't commit.

"Even if many doubt my innocence, God won't forget me. He sees everything I'm
doing; He knows I've done no wrong," she said.

The president has yet to release a statement on Veloso's plea.

(source: The Jakarta Post)

MALAYSIA:

2 caught for drug trafficking in KK

In Kota Kinabalu, a restaurant operator and a jobless man are facing the death
penalty after they were arrested for drug trafficking.

The suspects, aged 31 and 35, were arrested during a police operation in Jalan
Gaya here and at a shopping mall in the downtown area between 5pm and 6pm on
Aug 29.

Sabah narcotics chief Supt Mohamed Fadzil Rahman said the arrests led to the
discovery of a substance believed to be syabu, weighing about 5kg and with a
street value of RM600,000, in 3 baby formula boxes.

The men, both Malaysians, were being investigated under Section 39B of the
Dangerous Drugs Act 1952 which carries the mandatory death sentence upon
conviction, he told reporters yesterday.

The 2 are believed to be drug dealers.

Supt Mohamed said police were investigating if the men were part of a
syndicate.

(source: The Star)

BANGLADESH:

Halt Imminent War Crimes Executions----Impose Immediate Moratorium on the Death
Penalty

The death sentence against Mir Quasem Ali, a central executive committee member
of Bangladesh's Jamaat-e-Islami party, should be suspended with immediate
effect, Human Rights Watch said today. The Supreme Court's rejection on August
30, 2016, of his review petition means that Quasem Ali could be hanged within
days once the deadline to appeal for presidential clemency expires.

Quasem Ali was convicted for war crimes allegedly committed by forces under his
command during Bangladesh's 1971 war of independence. He was tried in 2014 by
the country's specially constituted International Crimes Tribunal (ICT).

In March 2016, the Supreme Court set aside a number of charges but upheld
Quasem Ali's conviction and death penalty in one case of murder. While hearing
Quasem Ali's appeal, Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha criticized the attorney
general, prosecutors, and investigators for producing insufficient evidence in
the trial court.

On August 24, a group of United Nations experts urged the Bangladeshi
government to annul the death sentence against Quasem Ali and grant him a
retrial, noting how the proceedings had reportedly been "marred" by
"irregularities." Several prominent international observers have expressed
serious concerns over previous death penalty convictions handed down by the ICT
due to concerns over fair trials.

"It is critical that the Bangladesh government ensures justice for the awful
crimes against civilians in 1971, but that requires it to uphold international
fair trial standards," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch.
"If there's even a shadow of doubt about fairness, as in Quasem Ali's case, the
authorities should set aside the death penalty."

Human Rights Watch also called upon the authorities to release or charge Mir
Ahmed Bin Quasem, Quasem Ali's son, who was forcibly disappeared on August 9 by
state authorities. Mir Ahmed, who acts as his father's legal counsel, was
detained late at night by men in plainclothes who told family members that they
were government security forces. In spite of credible information to the
contrary, including through eyewitnesses, the government denies having him in
custody. His family has requested the government to, at a minimum, allow Mir
Ahmed to attend his father's funeral in the event the government proceeds with
his execution.

"If there's even a shadow of doubt about fairness, as in Quasem Ali's case, the
authorities should set aside the death penalty."----Brad Adams, Asia Director

"It is shocking that Bangladesh's security forces have picked up Mir Ahmed Bin
Quasem, apparently simply because he is the son of Quasem Ali, and then denies
it," said Adams. "This is part of a very disturbing pattern of arbitrary
arrests of people the government simply doesn't like."

Quasem Ali was charged with 14 counts of abduction, confinement, and torture,
and two counts of murder allegedly committed by forces under his command, known
as the Al-Badr, during the war. Quasem Ali was allegedly 1 of the leaders of
Al-Badr, a paramilitary organization that supported the then-West Pakistan army
against the East Pakistan army and was responsible for some of the worst crimes
during the independence struggle.

On November 3, 2014, Quasem Ali was found guilty of 10 charges, including 2
counts of murder. He was sentenced to death for crimes against humanity on 2
charges of murder. Quasem Ali appealed the conviction on November 30, 2014.

On March 8, 2016, the appeals court acquitted Quasem Ali of 1 count and changed
the penalty in another while upholding eight counts, including a death penalty
charge. During the appeal at the Supreme Court, the chief justice called the
prosecution and its investigation agency "very incompetent." He accused the
prosecution of dealing with gathering evidence in the case against Quasem Ali
"half-heartedly" and with "no responsibility." The chief justice said he was
"shocked" and that the prosecution's case against Quasem Ali was full of
contradictions. He expressed particular concern at the prosecution's failure to
rebut the accused's alibi defense, which put Quasem Ali in Dhaka on the day of
the murder in Chittagong. "Defence could produce a series of documentary
evidences in support of their alibi. But the prosecution and the investigation
agency were very incompetent."

In March 2016, Quasem Ali filed a petition asking for another review of his
case. That petition, his final chance for a rehearing, was denied on August 30.

Trials before the ICT have been replete with violations of the right to a fair
trial. Intercepted communications between the prosecution and judges which were
leaked to the Economist revealed prohibited and biased communications that
marred several trials. The ICT's response on several occasions to those who
have raised objections about the trials has been to file contempt charges
against them in an apparent attempt to silence criticism rather than to answer
substantively or to rectify any errors.

Human Rights Watch reiterated its long-standing call for the government of
Bangladesh to restore fundamental rights to those accused of war crimes.
Bangladesh's problematic article 47A(1) of the constitution specifically strips
those accused of war crimes of their fundamental rights, including the right to
an expeditious trial by an independent and impartial court or tribunal. This
pernicious amendment to the constitution allows the ICT overly broad discretion
to deny those charged with war crimes the same rights and procedures as other
defendants.

Human Rights Watch also called on the Bangladeshi government to impose a
moratorium on the death penalty and plan to abolish it. Over 20 people have
been executed since the Awami League government took office in 2009. On August
27, 2016, the Supreme Court upheld the death penalty against a member of the
banned Jama'at-ul Mujahideen Bangladesh for the killing of 2 judges in 2005.

"While many in Bangladesh believe Quasem Ali to be guilty and want him
punished, justice is only served through fair trials," said Adams. "Authorities
owe it victims to establish guilt with proper evidence rather than
fast-tracking hangings after unfair trials."

(source: Human Rights Watch)

PAKISTAN:

Police officer's murderer handed death penalty

A man was sentenced to death by an anti-terrorism court on Thursday for
murdering a police officer in 2012. The convict, Arshad alias Dacoit, along
with an accomplice, Raza, had killed ASI Muhammad Aslam in the Khokhrapar area.
Raza was also convicted and awarded life in jail. The court also found Arshad
guilty of possessing an illegal firearm and awarded him 7 years' imprisonment.
The ATC imposed a fine of Rs100,000 on Arshad and a fine of Rs50,000 on Raza.
The judge said the amounts should be paid to the heirs of the slain police
officer. In a separate trial, Additional District and Sessions Judge (Central)
awarded the death sentence to Habib Ahmed for killing a man, Muhammad Amjad,
over a personal enmity. The convict had killed Amjad and dumped his body
secretly. Later, Amjad's grave was reopened on court orders and it was proved
that the victim had not died naturally but had been murdered. Police also found
the weapon used in the murder. Assistant Public Prosecutor Shahana Parveen
assisted the court in the trial and also helped the prosecution to prove the
charges.

(source: The News)