[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----N.MEX., ARIZ., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Sep 2 11:33:52 CDT 2016

Sept. 2

NEW MEXICO:

'Why are these people allowed to live?'

In my day job as editorial page editor, I see dozens of letters to the editor
each week. But this one really caught my eye.

It was one of many sent to the Journal concerning the horrific last hours of
Victoria Martens, who at 10 years old was truly an innocent.

The depths of depravity shown by her killers sent shock waves throughout the
community, and, believe me, that included a newsroom of world-weary
journalists.

It also deeply affected Don Vernay, a Rio Rancho lawyer who has spent his
career defending clients facing the death penalty - mostly in Texas.

Many times, his efforts were unsuccessful. 3 of his clients have been executed
this year alone. He has worked to provide a defense to clients who run the
gamut from mass murderers to child and cop killers.

Since one of his successful defenses involved a man prosecutors claimed killed
a 10-year-old Montana boy in 1996, then cooked and ate him and served some of
the dish to his neighbors, he thought he had seen it all.

But he said nothing prepared him for little Victoria.

"I've seen them all, but this one really, really hit me," Vernay said. "It's
just beyond comprehension what these people did to that kid."

So he sat down last Friday and wrote what he titled "My Personal Rubicon" and
sent it to the Journal's letters website, ABQjournal.com/letters.

"It really was a gut reaction," he said Tuesday.

Here's a portion:

"Although I am not one to argue religion or politics, I have nonetheless held
my ground in the face of arguments made by those who voiced strong support for
the death penalty - until I read the article in last Friday's Journal setting
forth the details of the unspeakable sexual assault, murder and dismemberment
of an innocent 10-year-old child ...

"Having put the paper down, instead of engaging in my usual knee jerk defense
lawyer's analysis of the manner in which these perpetrators could be
represented, the only thought that entered and remained in my mind was 'why are
these people allowed to live?'"

Strong feelings coming from a man who has spent the last 30 years defending
those charged with taking a life.

"I've represented guys for whom guilt is not an issue," he said. "I've handled
a lot of bad ones."

Vernay recognizes that the role of an attorney is to give a client the best
possible defense the rule of law permits - a job that someone will wind up
doing for those accused in the Victoria Martens case. "But still, my thought
was - I quoted from 'The Brothers Karamazov' - 'why are these people allowed to
live?'

"That was really a visceral reaction on my part, I mean, I'm not going to run
out and say I'm pro-death penalty now because of this particular case, but this
one really hit home. It just knocked the wind out of me."

Vernay is not a member of the State Bar of New Mexico, but he was involved in
the defense in an infamous local mass killing - the John Hyde case of August
2005.

Hyde was a mentally ill Albuquerque resident who in a single day shot and
killed 5 people, including 2 police officers. Hyde remains in the New Mexico
Behavioral Health Institute in Las Vegas, where he will spend the rest of his
life.

Vernay still has a few death penalty cases he is working on in Texas but today
is focusing on creating metal sculptures that are shown in the Jezebel Gallery
in Madrid.

He has also self-published a novel about the last day of a death row prisoner
called "Today and Tomorrow" and has written a full-length play on the death
penalty "that almost made it to Broadway."

He moved to New Mexico 13 years ago. He had been looking for a home in Santa Fe
but wound up in Rio Rancho after finding one with a room that was perfect for
an artist's studio. He didn't move to Albuquerque:

"I call this place (Albuquerque) Mogadishu. It's really astounding, the level
of violence here. And I'm a kid who grew up on the streets of New York City.
I'm not some country boy from Montana."

As I said earlier, at some point, someone is going to get the unenviable job of
representing the 3 people accused of killing Victoria.

New Mexico does not have a death penalty. But the accused in America have the
right to a proper defense.

(source: Dan Herrera, Editorial page editor, Albuquerque Journal)

ARIZONA----female may face death penalty

Valley mother accused of killing her kids hopes to avoid death penalty

Defense attorneys for a Phoenix woman accused of killing her children are
hoping prosecutors don't ask for the death penalty.

Octavia Rogers is accused of stabbing her 3 children to death and partially
dismembering their bodies.

Rogers appeared in court for a pre-trial conference Thursday.

Back in June, Rogers' 3 boys were found dead in a home near Interstate 17 and
Bell Road. Police say Rogers, 29, stabbed them to death and then stuffed their
partially dismembered bodies in a closet.

Police said Rogers also stabbed herself and then tried to drown herself in a
bathtub.

The children were identified as Jaikare Rahaman, 8, Jeremiah Adams, 5, and
Avery Robinson, 2 months.

Rogers' court appearance Thursday lasted only a few minutes. At the end, Rogers
broke down, sobbing uncontrollably before leaving the room.

Rogers' attorneys had previously pleaded not guilty to 1st-degree murder in the
deaths of her sons. Now, they're also hoping that she's not sentenced to death
if she's found guilty.

Some family members have called Rogers a devoted mother.

On Thursday, Octavia's mother told reporters outside the courtroom that she saw
no signs Rogers was troubled.

"It broke my heart because that's my baby, regardless of what she's accused of.
That's still my baby and I love her and she let me know that she loves me,"
said Rogers' mother Tanella McCoy, in tears.

"She brought me so much joy by bringing those grandkids to me and I don't fault
her for what happened but I still gotta be there for her because that's my
daughter."

Rogers is tentatively scheduled to be back in court for pre-trial on February
9.

Her trial is tentatively set to get underway on February 16.

(source: azfamily.com)

USA:

Overzealous Prosecutors Are Losing Elections

Together they have disproportionately targeted black defendants, tried
juveniles as adults, condemned schoolchildren to prison, and let police get
away with murder. And over the past year, they have lost their bids for
reelection.

In a year with renewed attention on the corrosive and discriminatory effects of
harsh sentencing, notorious, tough-on-crime local prosecutors are increasing
being held accountable for perpetuating an overzealous style of law and order.

Until recently, these elections were battles of who could appear harsher on
crime. The same hysteria over crime and illegal drugs that drove mass
incarceration in the late 1980s and 1990s also created intense political
pressure. Racially-charged fearmongering, exemplified by the infamous 'Willie
Horton' ad that attacked presidential candidate Michael Dukakis for backing
criminal rehabilitation, boosted scores of district attorneys and judges who
promised to crack down and pursue the toughest sentences available.

But not anymore. In March, Chicago area prosecutor Anita Alvarez was voted out
of office after she covered up the police shooting of Laquan McDonald and
condemned the innocent. That same day, Tim McGinty, a Cleveland prosecutor who
refused to charge Tamir Rice's shooter, also lost reelection. And on Tuesday,
Jacksonville, Florida state attorney Angela Corey was defeated in her primary
after criminal justice advocates exposed her propensity to try juveniles as
adults and to sentence defendants to die.

"This could be a sea change and might mean that prosecutors might become more
accountable to the public."

And those were just the most high-profile losses. Across the country, hard-line
district attorneys are losing races that were once considered shoo-ins for
incumbents.

"The era of tough-on-crime rhetoric is coming to a close as voters realize that
overzealous prosecutors have abused their power for too long," said law
professor Daniel Medwed. "This could be a sea change and might mean that
prosecutors might become more accountable to the public."

This year, 935 prosecutors across the country are up for election? - 40 % of
all elected local prosecutors. In all but 4 states, prosecutors are elected to
office.

As President Obama noted during his speech at the Democratic National
Convention, these races are crucial for people who care about criminal justice
reform.

"If you want more justice in the justice system, then we've all got to vote not
just for a president, but for mayors, and sheriffs, and state's attorneys and
state legislators," Obama said. "That's where the criminal laws are made, and
we've got to work with police and protesters until laws and practices are
changed. That's how democracy works."

Wealthy political donors are also realizing the importance of these races,
turning their attention away from Congress and the presidency to pour money
into local prosecutor elections. As Politico noted this week, billionaire
financier George Soros has "channeled more than $3 million into 7 local
district-attorney campaigns in 6 states over the past year."

It seems to be working. Already this election cycle, at least seven prosecutors
have lost reelection after voters and activists turned up the pressure and
raised questions about the effects of their aggressive prosecution and
misconduct.

Here are 5 less-known prosecutors who have also lost reelections this year:

Jeff Ashton

On Tuesday, metro Orlando area prosecutor Ashton lost his primary to Aramis
Ayala, who will likely become the 1st black woman elected prosecutor in
Florida. Soros' super PAC poured almost $1.4 million into the previously
low-budget race, according to Politico.

Ashton gained national notoriety in 2011 when he failed to convict Casey
Anthony for murdering her 2-year-old daughter. But while serving the Orlando
area, he more quietly made changes to the state attorney's office that effected
many Floridians.

After taking office in 2013, Ashton dismantled the dedicated domestic violence
unit that had 9 prosecutors handling only domestic violence cases, according to
a local investigation. Now, all felony domestic violence cases - including sex
crimes, child abuse, and elder abuse cases - are combined into the special
victims unit, leaving far fewer resources for domestic violence victims. He
also promised that he would add many victims' advocates to the Domestic
Violence Commission, but has only added one, leaving each with hundreds of
cases to handle.

And as area public defenders pleaded with the city to rely on civil citations
instead of arresting children, Ashton said that officers may still have to
handcuff 10-year-old children because "there may occasionally be a case when
law enforcement simply does not have a choice for the safety of the officer."

As lead prosecutor, Ashton has also aggressively sought the death penalty, even
after the U.S. Supreme Court found that Florida's capital punishment protocol
violates the Sixth Amendment.

Mark Skurka

On March 1st, tattooed defense attorney Mark Gonzalez beat incumbent Mark
Skurka in the Democratic primary for Corpus Christi, Texas's district attorney.
Gonzalez claimed after his victory that "voters wanted a fresh change."

During his 6 years in office, Skurka was criticized for frequently hiding
evidence in child neglect and homicide cases and for overcharging people guilty
of nonviolent offenses. Local defense attorneys claimed that Skurka's office
needlessly forced people into trial, costing the taxpayers large sums of money.

For example, in 2014, a local couple was found living out of their car on the
beach with their children. Prosecutors charged the 2 with 1st degree child
abuse and several lesser charges and the trial cost over $150,000 in attorney's
fees alone before both were sentenced to probation.

Skurka denied the allegations of overcharging. "We charge what the law allows.
Period," he told a local TV station.

Dale Cox

Cox pulled out of the race for district attorney in Caddo Parrish, Louisiana
before the November 2015 election, facing long odds to beat Republican
challenger Dhu Thompson and eventual winner James Stewart.

Cox is most notorious for being one of the country's most vocal supporters of
the death penalty. He has "secured more than 1/3 of Louisiana's death sentences
over the last 5 years," according to the New York Times. And last March, he
told the Shreveport Times that capital punishment is primarily about revenge
and that Louisiana should "kill more people." In follow-up interviews, he has
stood by that position.

(source: Kira Lerner, thinkprogress.org)

******************

Relying on Psychological Assessments do not Right Death Penalty Wrongs for the
Intellectually Disabled

In addition to the increasingly familiar racial biases and legal flaws in death
penalty convictions and use of lethal injection, according to Celia B. Fisher,
Ph.D. Director of Fordham University's Centerfor Ethics Education, little
attention has been paid to the lack of professional consensus surrounding the
validity and reliability of IQ tests in general and for racial CRSIP
logominorities in particular, disagreement over the use of absolute cut-off
scores to determine intellectual disability, and the inherent fallibility of
tests to determine the probability of future violence.

"Professional evaluations are not a panacea for inconsistent, uninformed and
often racially biased jury decisions," notes Fisher, "rather than providing a
fair and neutral assessment of mental ability forensic assessments are
contributing to inconsistencies that lethally violate the human rights of
convicted criminals in capital cases."

For more information on the ethics of psychologists' involvement in death
penalty evaluations - particularly for defendants with mental disabilities Dr.
Fisher's 2013 article in Ethics & Behavior entitled "Human Rights and
Psychologists" Involvement in Assessments Related to Death Penalty Cases."

(source: Celia B. Fisher, Ph.D. is the Marie Ward Doty University Chair,
Professor of Psychology, and Director of Fordham University's Center for Ethics
Education. She chaired the 2002 revision of the American Psychological
Association's Ethics Code and is the author of Decoding the Ethics Code: A
Practical Guide for Psychologists, now in it's 4th edition, from Sage
Publications----socialjusticesolutions.org)