[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----N.H., FLA., ALA., OHIO., MO.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Feb 25 12:03:44 CST 2016

Feb. 25

NEW HAMPSHIRE:

Suspend the death penalty

I write, as the brother of a murder victim, in support of SB 463, which would
suspend the death penalty in New Hampshire until "such time as methods exist to
ensure that the death penalty cannot be imposed on an innocent person."

While New Hampshire has a criminal justice system that is more effective and
fair than those in many other states, no justice system is currently immune
from wrongfully convicting and then executing an innocent person in a capital
murder case. Such a terrible event would deeply weaken the credibility of our
justice system.

Losing a loved one as the result of a brutal crime is a heart-rending
experience that alters one's life forever. But executing the person convicted
of the murder and subsequently learning that the person was innocent would
greatly compound the anguish and pain of the victim's family.

New Hampshire should follow the lead of other states in acknowledging our
present inability to be certain that the death penalty is not incorrectly
imposed. If we do so, those who kill people will still face a lifetime of
imprisonment, but we will avoid the possibility of making a tragic and horrible
mistake that can never be undone.

JOHN TOBIN

Concord

(source: Letter to the Editor, Concord Monitor)

FLORIDA:

Don't tweak the death penalty, end it

Editor: Now that the Florida state execution machine has been put on hold
because of the unconstitutionality of courtroom judges overruling jury
sentences in capital cases, the time is ripe to consider abolishing the death
penalty altogether.

Instead of tweaking the procedure by which this extreme penalty is imposed, why
not use this temporary moratorium as an opportunity to get rid of it, as 18
U.S. states and the District of Columbia have already done?

Ours is the only western nation that executes its own citizens. Sadly, our rate
of executions puts us among the world's top executing nations - China, Iran,
Saudi Arabia and Iraq - which are hardly regimes to be admired. As of Oct. 15,
2015, there were 2,959 prisoners awaiting execution. The fact that 156
condemned prisoners have been exonerated and released from U.S. prisons in
recent years suggests that a lot of wrongful prosecutions and convictions are
occurring in U.S. courts.

Here in Florida, 26 death row prisoners have thus far been exonerated since the
death penalty was restored in 1973.

That makes Florida 1st in the number of exonerees of any state. Unfortunately,
Florida is also 2nd in the number of new death sentences imposed and of
prisoners awaiting execution. With about 400 currently on Florida's death row,
it seems highly possible that some of these prisoners might also have been
erroneously condemned. Wouldn't just 1 such fatal injustice be too many?

We are fortunate to live in one of the world's officially designated
"compassionate" cities. Under the Compassionate St. Augustine program, small
groups are now meeting to discuss ways to make our criminal justice system more
evenhanded. Now is a perfect time to learn more about the flawed death penalty
system and move toward effective alternatives to an extreme punishment that
serves no deterrent purpose and cheapens the value of human life.

L.R. Tokarz

St. Augustine

(source: Letter to the Editor, St. Augustine Record)

**************

Accused killer could still face death penalty----Defense has asked state
attorney to take death penalty off table

The man accused of shooting and killing a cellphone store manager in 2013 could
still face the death penalty if convicted of murder when he heads to trial.

James Rhodes appeared in court Wednesday as attorneys on both sides argued
motions that would take the death penalty off the table in the slaying of
20-year-old Shelby Farah.

Rhodes' attorneys said they are seeking a plea deal that would keep him in
prison for the rest of his life. It's a deal the victim's mother wants
prosecutors to take.

But the State Attorney's Office has not accepted it.

State lawmakers are coming up with a new death penalty plan after a U.S.
Supreme Court ruling invalidated Florida's death penalty law.

Rhodes' attorney argued Wednesday that because of that decision in January,
which ruled that Florida's method of sentencing people to death was
unconstitutional, that the death penalty in this case should not be an option.

The state argued that even though the Supreme Court asked for the death penalty
to be looked at, it was constitutional.

The judge also heard arguments from the state and defense about a potential
plea for Rhodes.

His attorney said he is willing to plead guilty to murder and get 2 consecutive
life sentences plus 20 years in state prison. There wouldn't be a trial, he
could not appeal and the death penalty would not be an option.

Prosecutors said they have no objection to a plea, but want the death penalty
to be an option for a jury during sentencing.

Darlene Farrah, the victim's mother, wants the state to accept Rhodes' plea.

After the hearing, Farrah stuck by her call for the state to stop seeking the
death penalty for her daughter's accused killer.

"I'm not feeling sorry for him. It takes everything out of me when I go in the
courtroom and look at him it really does," Farrah said. "He was old enough to
know wrong from right when he did it. He needs to suffer the consequences. I
mean, he took away an innocent life, but I don't think the consequence should
be death."

Rhodes' next hearing is set for 9 a.m. March 21. The legislative session will
be over by then and the state will likely have a new death penalty law by then.

If there's no plea bargain, Rhodes' trial is scheduled to start in May.

Farah wrote an opinion piece for Time magazine on the subject, titled "My
Daughter's Killer Should Not Get the Death Penalty."

Rhodes is charged with 1st-degree murder in the killing of Shelby Farah during
a robbery of a Brentwood cellphone store.

Police said that after several hours of questioning, Rhodes confessed.

Police said Farah was found dead after officers responded to a report of an
armed robbery at the store on Main Street near 21st Street.

Police said Rhodes pointed a gun at the 20-year-old and demanded money. They
said she cooperated and after she handed him the last bit of money, he fired 4
rounds, killing her.

****************

Tensions spill out as lawyers and victim's mother seek to avoid death sentence
for James Rhodes

Darlene Farah has an empty feeling every time she leaves the Duval County
Courthouse.

That feeling returned again Wednesday after she sat through another hearing for
James Xavier Rhodes, 24, the man accused of murdering her daughter, 20-year-old
phone store manager Shelby Farah.

"I just feel empty and spent every time I leave here," Farah said. "And by the
time I've pulled myself back together, it's time for another hearing."

But Farah's empty feeling also included a sense of frustration and anger at the
prosecutors in the case, and Farah told the Times-Union she will continue to
speak out about her unhappiness. Farah wants prosecutors to allow Rhodes to
plead guilty and be sentenced to life without parole. The State Attorney's
Office is seeking to put him on death row over Farah's stringent objections.

Defense attorneys are asking Circuit Judge Tatiana Salvador to allow the plea,
with Assistant Public Defender Debra Billard arguing that Florida has no legal
death-penalty law right now because of a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling.

Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda disagreed and said if Rhodes
pleaded guilty the state would still seek to put him on death row. De la Rionda
argued that the U.S. Supreme Court only found the state's procedures
unconstitutional, not the death penalty itself.

Salvador issued no rulings Wednesday, but Farah's frustration appeared to reach
a boiling point during the hearing and it led her to confront de la Rionda,
Assistant State Attorney Matthew Polimeni and spokeswoman Jackelyn Barnard
afterward. Farah and the prosecutors spent a half-hour in a hallway outside the
courthouse having something between an argument and a discussion.

Prosecutors declined to comment after it broke up, but Farah said she was angry
over how de la Rionda explained her opposition to executing Rhodes during the
just concluded hearing.

De la Rionda told Salvador that Farah didn't want Rhodes put on death row
because she didn't want to endure years of appeals. Farah said that was true,
but not the only reason she was opposed to the death penalty.

"He didn't say anything about how I thought the state helped make him who he
is," Farah said. "They bear some of the blame for what happened."

Defense lawyers have said Rhodes was born to parents addicted to drugs and
alcohol, abandoned at a young age and then physically and sexually abused while
a ward of the state.

Public Defender Matt Shirk also argued in a letter to Corey last week that
Rhodes should be allowed to plead to life in prison to spare Farah and her
family any more pain. The letter also said the agreement would save the costs
and time of a death-penalty trial and subsequent appeals.

Shirk also asked that Corey consider this similar to waiving the death penalty
and accepting a plea for Jarred Harrell, who killed and sexually assaulted
7-year-old Somer Thompson in 2009. Her mother consented to 6 life sentences for
Harrell.

Corey has not responded to the letter, but during Wednesday's hearing de la
Rionda argued that the state could not defer to the victim's family when
prosecutors believe that a crime justifies a death sentence.

"While Ms. Farah has suffered immensely, and we respect her wishes, we cannot
let victims' families decide whether we should seek the death penalty," de la
Rionda said.

The families of victims in cases like this are allowed to give a statement to
the jury when they're considering whether to impose death, but the families
usually only speak about what it's been like losing their loved one and don't
tell the jurors what they'd like to see happen.

Usually that's to the benefit of the defense, since most family members want
the death penalty, but it's the opposite in this case.

During Wednesday's hearing de la Rionda indicated that the prosecution would
not allow Farah to tell jurors she preferred life. Billard said that if Farah
did, the jury would almost certainly vote against death.

Farah smiled when asked about that afterward.

"When have you ever known me not to say what I feel," she said.

Rhodes is charged with killing Sheplay Farah while robbing the Metro PCS store
on North Main Street in Jacksonville. According to police reports, Rhodes
pulled a gun and shot her in the head after she gave him several hundred
dollars.

The killing was captured on surveillance video.

Billard said there was no reason to seek death and the entire case could be
resolved Wednesday if Salvador would just allow Rhodes to plead guilty and be
sentenced to life.

"It's so troubling that the state attorney won't take her wishes seriously,"
Billard said of State Attorney Angela Corey. "Ms. Corey claims she's focused on
victims, and that's admirable, but there we have a victim's family who has been
asking for this for 18 months."

But Salvador expressed doubt about issuing any rulings due to the uncertainty
of the death penalty in Florida.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Jan. 12 that Florida's death-penalty procedures
are unconstitutional because the final decision on whether someone is sentenced
to life or death is made by a judge instead of a jury. The Florida Legislature
is now attempting to pass new procedures and appear likely to pass something in
the next few days that requires at least 10 jurors to vote in favor of the
death penalty in order for a defendant to receive such a sentence.

"If the Legislature comes up with new scheme, we then have to address how it
applies to Mr. Rhodes," Salvador said. "If they fail to pass something, then we
can deal with whether we can go forward with this case."

The next pretrial in the case will be March 21, which will be after the Florida
Legislature adjourns for the year.

(source for both: news4jax.com)

ALABAMA:

Change: Alabama Innocence Inquiry Commission would now review only death row
cases

An Alabama legislative bill aimed at creating a commission to review the
innocence claims of felons, was changed in committee Wednesday to only include
the review of death row inmates' cases.

The bill would also set a moratorium on executions in Alabama until June 2017
as the new panel is put in place.

The Alabama Senate Judiciary Committee committee approved the new version
before it was sent for a full vote before the senate.

Meanwhile, Alabama's Attorney General and the sponsor of the bill argued over
what the bill would do in statements issued Wednesday.

State Sen. Dick Brewbaker, R-Pike Road, stated in an email to AL.com that the
substitute bill narrowed the scope from all felonies to only death penalty
cases, tightened up the immunity language, and added another lawyer to the
proposed Alabama Innocence Inquiry Commission.

The commission would fall within the Administrative Office of Courts. The bill
also establishes a procedure for a person convicted of a capital crime and
sentenced to petition for a hearing before the commission "in order to present
credible, verifiable evidence of innocence that has not previously been
presented at trial or considered at a hearing granted through post-conviction
relief (in court)."

The bill states it would "authorize the commission to hear the evidence and, at
its discretion, refer the case back to the court of original jurisdiction for
additional judicial review."

"The bill is necessary to insure the integrity of our death penalty statute,"
Brewbaker stated in his email. "Given the fact that Alabama has had several
high profile exonerations lately, it seems appropriate to make doubly sure of a
person's guilt before we execute them."

Among the exonerations in the past year has been Anthony Ray Hinton, who spent
nearly 3 decades on Alabama's death row before new testing on the gun in the
case was inconclusive. Hinton was released in April.

Hinton's attorney, Bryan Stevenson founder and executive director of the
Montgomery-based Equal Justice Initiative, had called for the formation of
conviction integrity units in Alabama to deal with claims of innocence after
Hinton's release.

"The bill is necessary to insure the integrity of our death penalty statute" -
Republican State Sen. Dick Brewbaker

A public hearing was held on the bill before the Alabama Senate Judiciary
Committee on Wednesday. The committee voted 10-0 to approve the substitute bill
and forwarded it to a full vote of the senate.

One of the opponents of the commission is Alabama Attorney General Luther
Strange.

Strange, in a statement issued Wednesday, called the legislation flawed and
that it would effectively delay justice for crime victims while making it more
difficult to carry out executions in Alabama.

"Senate Bill 237, if passed into law, would only serve to hinder the delivery
of justice in capital murder cases," Strange stated. "In a system where death
row inmates already wait for decades before their sentences are carried out, SB
237 (the bill) would only create further delays by encouraging the filing of
frivolous, last-minute challenges."

"Senate Bill 237 is unnecessary as death row inmates already have access to a
process to establish innocence under the Rules of Criminal Procedure.
Furthermore, the bill would supplant the role of the current judicial system by
creating a 'fourth layer of appeals' outside of the review already provided by
the circuit courts, Court of Criminal Appeals, and the Alabama Supreme Court,"
Strange stated.

The bill also takes the final determination of guilt or innocence away from
juries and courts and gives it to a commission of appointed officials and a
super-judicial three-judge panel, Strange stated. The decision of the
commission and the 3-judge panel would be unchecked, with no provision for
appellate review of their findings, he stated.

Strange urged senators to join him and the victims of violent crime in
"standing on the side of justice and oppose this bill."

Brewbaker responded to Strange's statements.

"If the current process is as sound as he says, why do we continue to see
people exonerated after decades in prison?," Brewbaker stated in his email.
"Further, by the time the bill comes to the Senate floor the moratorium will
only apply to cases where there is credible new evidence that a jury has not
heard, a very small minority of capital cases."

"The Commission is set up to render quickly without enriching a bunch of
lawyers and stringing out the process," Brewbaker wrote. "His (Strange's)
assertion that it would significantly lengthen the process is incorrect. The
rhetoric about "standing on the side of Justice" sounds more like a sound bite
than a serious discussion about a very serious issue."

(source: al.com)

**************

Death penalty moratorium bill moves toward Alabama Senate

Some death penalty cases would get an extra review, and executions put on hold
until mid-2017, under a bill approved by an Alabama Senate committee Wednesday.

In a unanimous vote, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved a bill to create
an Innocence Inquiry Commission to review capital murder convictions when new
evidence of a convict's innocence emerges. The bill would also halt executions
in Alabama until June 1, 2017. The committee's vote moves the bill to the full
Senate for consideration.

"If we're going to take this on ourselves, to execute someone, if we're going
to take away their ability to accept Christ and all the other things that go
with being alive, we have an obligation to be absolutely sure the people we're
executing are guilty," said Sen. Dick Brewbaker, R-Montgomery, the bill's
sponsor.

Brewbaker, a death penalty advocate, said a review of death penalty cases is
needed to shore up the public's confidence in the death penalty. He cites
recent exonerations of felons in Alabama, and notes that some other death
penalty states, such as North Carolina, have review panels in place.

Brewbaker's bill would create an eight-member panel that could review death
penalty cases looking only at claims of innocence, returning those cases to the
original court if they believe the evidence of innocence is strong. The bill
originally covered all felony cases; an amended version approved by the
committee Wednesday would allow review only of capital crimes.

There are 184 people on Alabama's death row. The longest-running case dates
back to 1979. Inmates typically challenge the fairness of their trial or the
constitutionality of lethal injection in appeals courts.

Brewbaker has said he's concerned about innocence claims that don't get heard
by the court. At least one death row inmate - William Kuenzel, convicted the
1980s murder of a Sylacauga convenience store clerk - has argued that a missed
filing deadline kept his claim of innocence from being heard by a court.
Kuenzel's lawyers have asked the Alabama Supreme Court to grant him a new
trial.

State prosecutors said the bill would add time and expense to an already
lengthy death penalty process.

"Just look at North Carolina," said Thomas Govan, a lawyer for the Alabama
Attorney General's office. "Most of the petitions that have been filed are 200,
300, 400 pages."

He said a death penalty moratorium would delay executions even of inmate's
who've confessed to their crimes.

"There's simply no reason for an outright moratorium on the death penalty," he
said.

Victims of Crime and Leniency, a victim's advocacy group that was still
undecided about the bill last week, has also come out against Brewbaker's
measure.

"Victims do not want an innocent person executed," Grantham said. "We just want
the appeals nightmare to end."

Stephen Stetson, a lawyer for the group Alabama Arise, said the innocence panel
was need as a "recognition of human frailty" in the justice system.

"This in an instance when we want to be 100 percent sure," Stetson said.

At least one Democrat on the committee, Sen. Hank Sanders, D-Selma, has called
for a death penalty moratorium before. Republicans on the committee said they
supported capital punishment, but still supported sending the bill to the full
Senate for debate.

"I have some concerns about the long-term ramifications of the bill," said Sen.
Phil Williams, R-Rainbow City. "I don't think it will pass." Still, he said,
the matter was important enough to go to the full Senate.

Brewbaker said he was open to further amendments, but he also told committee
members it was important to have another layer of review in place.

"We need to make sure the process is as good as we think it is," he said.

(source: The Anniston Star)

OHIO:

Death penalty trial begins for Brunswick man accused in mother's killing

Jury selection began this week in the death penalty trial of a Brunswick man
accused of killing his mother.

James D. Tench, 30, is accused of beating his 55-year-old mother Mary Tench to
death in November 2013 after she confronted him about his debts and about the
fact that he used her credit card to buy concert tickets, court records say.

James Tench is charged with three counts of aggravated murder, 2 counts of
murder, aggravated robbery, kidnapping and tampering with evidence.

Jury selection began Monday in Medina County Common Pleas Court and is expected
to end Tuesday or Wednesday, Medina County Prosecutor Dean Holman said. The
remainder of the trial is expected to last at least 2 weeks.

Mary Tench was found dead Nov. 12, 2013 inside her car on Carquest Drive in
Brunswick. Medina County Coroner Neil Grabenstetter said she died from several
blunt trauma injuries to her head and neck. The impact fractured her skull.

James Tench pleaded guilty in 2014 to robbing a Strongsville restaurant and is
currently serving a five-year prison sentence at the Richland Correctional
Institution.

Judge Joyce Kimbler has yet to rule on whether the state can introduce evidence
that James Tench stole money from his mother before she died. Kimbler will also
rule on whether the Strongsville robbery is admissible, Holman said.

The state also intends to present evidence that James Tench attacked his mother
after she confronted him about using her credit card to buy concert tickets,
and that he assaulted his former fianc???e when she broke off their engagement,
court records say.

"Evidence that Tench violently attacked people when confronted with adverse
information is relevant to Tench's motive and intent," prosecutors wrote in the
motion.

Each aggravated murder count carries the potential sentences of death, life in
prison without parole, or life in prison with the possibility of parole after
30 or 25 years. If James Tench is convicted on all counts, prosecutors will
decide which aggravated murder or murder charge will carry the sentence, Holman
said previously.

(source: cleveland.com)

MISSOURI:

Death penalty under review in Missouri legislator

Republican Sen. Paul Wieland from Imperial introduced Senate Bill 816 which
aims to repeal the death penalty in Missouri.

SB 816 would completely repeal the death penalty in Missouri for those
convicted of 1st degree murder as well as for anyone who has been sentenced to
death before August 28, 2016.This is the 1st time in years that the Republican
led state debated a capital punishment bill.

A bipartisan lawmakers group argued the case of capital punishment Monday with
colleagues. The group plans to end capital punishment completely in the state.

According to the Associated Press, Missouri has executed 18 killers in a span
of over 2 years.

The Republican senator has received grass root support from Missouri
Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty. Wieland, a practicing
Catholic, is anti-abortion and opposes capital punishment.

"I'm a pro-life Catholic and I believe that if you're going to be pro-life, you
should be pro-life on both ends of the spectrum," Wieland said.

Sen. Kurt Schaefer, former prosecutor of Attorney General Jay Nixon, has argued
in defense of keeping the death penalty. Schaefer learned from personal
experience how prosecutors face tough standards when sentencing a criminal on
death row.

"The idea that somehow the victim in this whole thing is the defendant, who,
after this whole process was found guilty is outrageous." Schaefer said.

Many have argued capital punishment as "Cruel and unusual punishment" which is
against the constitution. Pre-law student Katie Brown examines both sides on
the penalization.

"From an ethical and financial standpoint, the revocation of the death penalty
in Missouri is appropriate and even necessary, especially when considering the
costs associated with it. From the ethical standpoint, our Constitution
recognizes the deliberate taking of another life as murder and has declared
that illegal," Brown said. "In some ways the death penalty is exactly the type
of thing the Constitution aims to control, prohibit, not encourage. I may not
agree with the revocation personally, but from a legal standpoint can
understand its purpose and proposal."

As of now, the bill has not received enough support to take more action on it
any further. However, Wieland believes it is a victory the bill was even up for
debate.

(source: Northwest Missourian)