Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Feb 24 15:38:15 CST 2016

Feb. 24

TANZANIA:

9 ivory poachers accused of shooting hero British helicopter pilot out of the
sky as he tried to save elephants in Tanzania appear in court charged with
murder and may face death penalty if guilty; Niles Gunga, 28, is charged with
murder in Bariadi District Court, Tanzania

Roger Gower was fatally shot down by an AK47 while taking part in a helicopter
operation to catch a gang in a game reserve next to Serengeti National Park.

Niles Gunga, 28, is alleged to have fired a bullet through the bottom of the
pilot's helicopter on Friday, January 29, bringing the aircraft crashing down.

Gunga appeared alongside 8 others who had also been accused of murder.

He denied the charges along with co-defendants Shija Mjika, 38, Dotto Pangali,
42, Moses Mandago, 28, Iddi Abdullah, 50, Dotto Huya, 44, Mwigulu Kanga, 40,
Mapolu Gabida, 50 and Mange Buluma, 47.

Prosecutors say that the men were an experienced poaching gang, with known
insiders such as Iddi Abdullah, who had worked for the Ngorongoro Conservation
Authority as a Wildlife official.

They were also charged with possessing $15,000 (10,765 pounds) worth of ivory.

Gunga is also is accused of making a career out of killing elephants, and
working with other poachers to sell to bigger gangs.

If the men are found guilty, they could face the death penalty. Tanzanian
authorities are still investigating the killing, but the case could be heard in
the country's highest court.

Senior State Attorney Yamiko Mlekano said: 'We are still looking for DNA
evidence and ballistic evidence as well. Plus other pieces of evidence that I'm
not ready to disclose. But once we are finished, we will prosecute the case in
the high court.

'The case will not be difficult. We are confident that we will get a
conviction.'

However, the atmosphere was tense in the courtroom, with prosecutors asking not
to be filmed or photographed to protect their identity from the gangs, who make
millions from poaching.

15 armed soldiers were also standing guard outside the magistrates court as
proceedings began - another sign of how seriously Tanzania takes the threat of
those allegedly involved in poaching gangs.

Outside the court, community leader Masunga Liyabuyenze expressed his
frustration with poachers.

He said: 'The community cares about the animals. Other people come in and kill
them, but most people care.

'I feel bad, as a human being, about someone being killed. Here in Tanzania we
value a person's life. So when I heard of someone being killed, I felt sad.'

On the day of Mr Gower's death, the Friedkin Conservation Fund - the
organisation the trained accountant was working for - had found two dead
elephants, and had sent him out in a helicopter.

The organisation's director Pratik Patel, who was working on the same
anti-poaching operation, said: 'He saw a third dead elephant which had only
very recently been killed and flew back to investigate, which was when a man
appeared and shot straight at the helicopter.'

The shot went up through the floor, going through Mr Gower's leg, shoulder and
eye before exiting through the roof.

But before the helicopter crashed into the ground, Mr Gower managed to save his
colleague, South African spotter Nick Bester, who was able to jump to safety
after the Brit manoeuvred out of the way of a tree.

The 9 men face a number of other charges, including committing economic crimes
- poaching - and possessing weapons.

A woman was charged with working as one of their accomplices.

The cases were sent to a higher court, where the men will enter their pleas.

(source: The Daily Mail)

INDONESIA:

Amnesty call for moratorium in death penalty in Indonesia

The international human rights organization Amnesty International calls for
death penalty moratorium in Indonesia with long term goal of abolishing death
penalty.

"Amnesty International asks the Indonesian Government for moratorium in death
penalty and to review the court verdicts of death penalty," Deputy Director for
Southeast Asian Campaign of Amnesty International Josef Benedict said when
launching global human rights annual report here on Wednesday.

Benedict quoted the Amnesty International report as saying that in 2015, the
Indonesian government executed 14 death prisoners on death row and more is to
follow this year.

He said death penalty places the life of prisoners on death row in risk and put
their families in distress, fear and heavy pressure.

Benedict also called for an end to whipping punishment, which he described as
inhumane, cruel, insulting to human dignity, adopted in Aceh.

He said in 2015, around 108 people, who were found guilty of gambling, alcohol
drinking and adultery, were punished with whipping under sharia law in Aceh.

In October 2015, Qanun Jinayat, was enacted in Aceh a punishment for committing
homosexuality and adultery respectively with whipping 100 times and 30 times.

"Qanun Jinayat in Aceh is against human rights and we call on the central
government to annul the law," Benedict said.

Earlier Pope Fransiskus called for death penalty moratorium ahead of an
international conference of "A World Without the Death Penalty" began in Rome
last Monday.

United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon also denounced death penalty
saying "death penalty has no place in this 21st century."

(source: Antara News)