[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, N.C., FLA., ALA., MISS., LA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Oct 1 16:16:14 CDT 2019

Oct. 1

TEXAS:

Jurors to decide if Haskell a future danger to society

Aurielle Lyon sobbed as she identified 4 of her nieces and nephews from their
autopsy photos.

She will never see Bryan Stay, 13, graduate from high school. She won’t watch
Emily, 9, go through childhood with her cousin and closest pal, or witness
Rebecca, 7, develop her wacky fashion sense into her teenage years. Her own son
can’t become best friends with Zachary, 4.

“My mind just goes to the experiences I should have had with these children,”
Lyon said Monday during the 1st day of testimony in the punishment phase of
convicted murderer Ronald Haskell, who admitted to killing the children and
their parents.

The aunt painted a portrait of the lively children, fatally shot at their
Spring home in 2014 along with their mother and father.

Earlier in the day, Haskell’s lawyers told jurors that the man, found guilty of
capital murder last week, is no longer a future danger to society and should be
given life without parole. Harris County prosecutors are urging the jury panel
to choose the death penalty.

“He is who he is,” prosecutor Samantha Knecht said during the punishment
phase’s opening arguments. “He’s a manipulator, he’s a con artist, and he’s a
future danger.”

(source: Houston Chronicle)

****************

Convict accused of killing Sikh Texas deputy will likely face death penalty,
judge says----The deputy had gained national attention in 2015 when he was
permitted to grow a beard and wear a turban on the job to observe his Sikh
faith.

The man accused of gunning down a Texas deputy who was celebrated when he was
permitted to grow a beard and wear a turban on the job to observe his Sikh
faith will likely face the death penalty, a judge said Monday.

Robert Solis, 47, was arrested on suspicion of capital murder in connection
with the shooting of Harris County Deputy Sandeep Dhaliwal during an afternoon
traffic stop on Friday. Evidence does not suggest the "ambush-style" attack was
a hate crime, police said.

Solis, who was convicted of kidnapping in 2002 and was wanted for violating
parole at the time of the shooting, will be held without bond, Harris County
Judge Chris Morton said during a court hearing Monday morning.

"It's a likely outcome that death be the sentence here," Morton added,
according to NBC affiliate KPRC.

Dhaliwal, 41, attracted national attention in 2015 when the Harris County
department became the nation's largest sheriff's office to allow a Sikh to
police while wearing his articles of faith, including turban and beard.

The 10-year veteran of the department was known locally as a public servant
with a big heart, who volunteered his time assisting with hurricane relief not
just at home, but also in Puerto Rico and Louisiana.

"He was an exemplary person, exemplary deputy. He was just loved by so many
people, his teammates, community and everybody," said Harris County Sheriff Ed
Gonzalez. "He just had this positive energy about him and this light that
unfortunately was dimmed much too soon."

A candlelight vigil will be held for Dhaliwal on Monday night and his funeral
is scheduled for Wednesday, according to the Harris County Sheriff's Office. He
is survived by 3 children, a wife and a brother.

Gonzalez said the department was receiving calls from people from all over the
country who want to come to the services to honor Dhaliwal.

(source: NBC News)

NORTH CAROLINA:

Warrant: Cary man told landscapers he shot his wife, asked them to call 911

A Cary man told lawn workers that he killed his wife and asked them to call the
police on Sept. 19, according to newly released search warrants.

According to the documents, 59-year-old Michael Sauls admitted to shooting his
ex-wife in the backyard of their home at 2201 Piney Plains Road, near the
Crossroads Plaza shopping center.

Police were called around 11:45 a.m. to the couple's home.

When officers arrived, they found Patsy Sauls suffering from a gunshot wound
and a black revolver in the grass nearby. Patsy Sauls was rushed to WakeMed in
Cary where she died from her injuries just after 12:30 p.m. Michael Sauls was
still at the scene and was taken into custody without incident.

In an interview room, immediately following his arrest, Michael Sauls kept
asking if his wife was OK and if she was alive, according to the search
warrant. Sauls also asked for a lawyer and refused to answer any questions.

A landscaping crew was working nearby when they heard the shots, and workers
told police that Michael Sauls met them on the front lawn and asked them to
call the police because he had shot his wife.

One of the lawn workers told police that Michael Sauls said, "Call the police,
I just shot my wife. It was a domestic, I just shot her." The worker remained
on the phone with the 911 dispatcher until police were at the scene.

The couple's son told police that the couple was still living together after
divorcing in March. The couple filed for divorce in Jones County in January,
according to court records.

According to the search warrant, the son told police that his father talked
with him the night before and expressed concern about Patsy Sauls' health, "due
to what Michael believed to be her involvement with another man."

Michael Sauls was charged with his wife's murder.

He made an initial court appearance in September and was ordered to return in
October, when he will be represented by the public defender's office. Sauls
could face the death penalty, a judge said.

The killing of Patsy Sauls marks the 1st homicide in the Town of Cary for 2019.

A town official said Friday that Cary has had 14 homicides since 2014, and 4
them involved domestic disputes.

Deanna Hawks, a spokeswoman for Cary Public Safety, said there was no threat to
the community. The home is located next door to the Little Treasures Daycare
center. Officials there said the daycare was not put under lockdown

(source: WRAL news)

****************

Jury selection begins for man accused of killing NC police officer

Jury selection began Monday for a man accused of killing a Shelby police
officer 3 years ago.

Irving Fenner Junior is accused of shooting and killing Shelby K-9 officer Tim
Brackeen on September 10, 2016. Fenner faces the death penalty.

Brackeen was attempting to serve a warrant on Fenner in the area of Parkview
Street when Fenner allegedly shot Brackeen in the torso. Brackeen died a few
days later.

Shelby Police Chief Jeff Ledford said it doesn’t seem like it’s been 3 years
since Brackeen was killed, but that may be because there is still a lot going
on around the incident.

Ledford said the court process is something he’d like to finish as soon as
possible, but he understands why it’s taken so long for a trial date to arrive.

“I understand it takes time and so I think at the end of the day, that’s worth
it. It is a long journey, but I think you just have to keep it in your mind
that this journey is this long for a reason,” said Ledford.

Chief Ledford keeps a road sign bearing the slain officer’s name in his office.
It’s a symbol of honor, but a reminder that he lost one of his own.

“As the leader of the organization, everything here is my responsibility and I
know that and I accept that. I know every member of our team here that when
they go out to go to work, they go out to provide a service whether it’s on the
street or in a dispatch center or wherever it may be. I know I’m responsible
and that’s just something that I kind of process as we go along,” said Ledford.

The chief described the loss of Brackeen as a “hole” in his department that
will never be closed.

Hundreds of people attended the slain officer’s funeral.

(source: charlotteobserver.com)

FLORIDA:

Trial to begin in St. Pete double murder on houseboat

After more than 6 years, the handyman accused of killing John Travlos, 75, and
Germana Morin, 74, will go to court. If convicted, Reynaldo Figueroa-Sanabria
could face the death penalty.

The boat was called the Relax-Inn.

Its occupants, John Travlos and his longtime friend Germana Morin, were doing
just that, living out Travlos’ dream of retiring on a houseboat, spending time
with his grandchildren. He built a slide onto the back of the 72-foot vessel,
docked at a St. Petersburg marina, so his kid grandson could swish down into
the water.

“They loved it. It was 2nd home to them,” said Michelle Robinson, Travlos’
stepdaughter and the mother of 2 of his grandchildren.

Their idyllic weekends on the Relax-Inn ended abruptly on the morning of April
12, 2013. A home healthcare worker boarded the boat to find Travlos, 75, and
Morin, 74, stabbed to death inside the master bedroom. Police quickly
identified a handyman and friend to the couple, Reynaldo Figueroa-Sanabria, as
the likely culprit and arrested him on 2 counts of 1st-degree murder. If
convicted, he could face the death penalty.

After 6½ years, his case will go to trial Tuesday.

A lot can happen in that time. Lawsuits can be lobbed back and forth, then
settled. A court file can pile up with transcripts and delays and attorney
turnovers. A grandson can grow up, his 18th birthday falling the day before the
trial start date.

“We feel that people have forgotten about it, what it’s all about — that they
were people,” said Robinson, 52.

Travlos and his wife, Judith, moved in 1989 to St. Petersburg from Long Island,
Robinson said. He started Island Automated Medical Services, a medical support
business that Robinson and her siblings went on to work for over the years.

Travlos raised Robinson and her brothers as his own from when she was 11. He
was a loving father and always someone she could go to for advice, she said.
The family was close, working together and spending quality time on holidays
and weekends.

A string of tragedies for the family began in 2006. Robinson’s husband died
from a heart condition. Then, in 2010, her mother — Travlos’ wife —died of lung
cancer.

“A lot of death has hit our family. We’ve managed to get through it and accept
it, except for Poppy," Robinson said, referring to the name her son called his
grandfather.

Robinson’s children, especially her son, grew close to their grandfather. They
also got to know the handyman, Figueroa-Sanabria. He would join them on the
boat for dinner sometimes, Robinson said. Neighbors often saw him riding
Travlos’ golf cart back and forth to his apartment from the Loggerhead Marina
at 5821 32nd Way S.

So it was not only grief but a feeling of betrayal that rocked the family as
details of the apparent murders began to spill out. St. Petersburg police said
at the time it was a crime motivated by robbery.

According to court records, Figueroa-Sanabria’s girlfriend told investigators
that, on the day the couple was found, she had picked him up early that morning
near the marina and driven him to several places, including a 7-Eleven, a
jewelry store and a car rental business.

Detectives found 2 shirts and a pair of jeans in the convenience store trash
bin. Testing showed blood on the clothes matched Travlos and Morin. DNA
matching Travlos was also found on the floor of the car in which
Figueroa-Sanabria’s girlfriend picked him up, and duct tape from the scene of
the crime was tied to Figueroa-Sanabria.

At the jewelry store, the handyman sold a necklace and bracelet belonging to
Travlos. He mailed more jewelry to his brother in Utica, N.Y.

At the car rental shop, Figueroa-Sanabria rented a 2004 Ford Taurus and took
off, police said. He was stopped about 1 a.m. April 14, 2013, on Interstate 95
in North Carolina. He told officers he was headed to family in New York.

The case has gone through starts and stops ever since. Death penalty cases were
put on hold in 2016 because the U.S. Supreme Court ruled Florida’s capital
punishment procedure unconstitutional. The first 2 assigned prosecutors went on
to become judges. And more delays: DNA testing, wrangling uncooperative
witnesses, Figueroa-Sanabria wanting to represent himself.

After all this time, Robinson and her family are ready. She said she hopes
Figueroa-Sanabria, now 47, gets the death penalty.

“I just pray," she said, “that he gets what he’s got coming to him."

(source: tampabay.com)

********************

Florida Jury Recommends Death Penalty For Man Who Raped, Killed Child

A man convicted of raping and killing a 9-year-old girl may be put to death.

After finding Granville Ritchie guilty of murder, sexual battery, and child
abuse, a jury unanimously recommended the death penalty

Felecia Williams disappeared after a family friend brought her to Ritchie’s
apartment, then left her alone with him to go buy marijuana.

The girl’s mother says she’s glad to see justice served.

“As long as I know he’s in that box for the rest of his life, that’s all I care
about because my daughter is up under all that dirt in a box for the rest of
her life,” said Felecia Demerson.

Ritchie’s lawyers said medical scans show abnormalities in his brain. They
argue he did not have a serious criminal record before this case, and there is
no DNA evidence or signs of a struggle.

Ritchie is due back in court next month.

(source: CBS News)

ALABAMA:

An Alabama Man Faces The Death Penalty For 2 Murders. Could The Police Be
Involved?----In March, Coley McCraney was arrested and charged with capital
murder in the 1999 killings of two teenage girls. But his attorneys say he’s
innocent, and are now seeking information related to alleged police involvement
in the homicides.

Attorneys representing a man charged in the 1999 murders of two teenage girls
in Alabama have filed motions seeking evidence related to alleged police
involvement in the case.

The man, Coley McCraney, was charged with capital murder in March of this year
for the killings of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett and is facing the death
penalty. His attorneys have requested documents related to Ozark Police
Department officers and the girls’ deaths, and they will make their case for
access in a hearing scheduled for Monday.

On Aug. 21, McCraney’s attorneys asked for interviews that the department
conducted with former officer Rena Crumb about Beasley and Hawlett’s deaths. In
the motion, they wrote that Crumb was interviewed several times throughout the
homicide investigation, including by current police chief Marlos Walker. “Some
of this evidence is in fact exculpatory,” wrote the attorneys, Andrew
Scarborough and David Harrison.

In 2015, blogger Jon Carroll reported that Crumb said she “could no longer live
with what she knew” and she allegedly told Beasley’s family that a former
police officer was responsible for the murders. Carroll alleged in his post
that the double homicide was connected to cassette tapes in the girls’
possession implicating the police and other officials in the local drug trade.
The officers in Carroll’s report denied any involvement in the homicides and in
2016 sued him for defamation in Dale County Circuit Court. Last year, the
officers dropped their lawsuit after Carroll declared bankruptcy.

On Sept. 9, McCraney’s legal team filed a motion requesting access to documents
related to the 2006 suicide of Ozark officer Butch Jones. Among the documents
Scarborough and Harrison seek to examine are the autopsy, incident, and
ballistics reports. “It is possible that said documents could be used in the
defense,” the attorneys wrote in the motion. It is unclear how Jones’s suicide
may be connected to the murders of Beasley and Hawlett.

In addition, Scarborough and Harrison have asked for a list of all Ozark police
officers who had 9-millimeter or .380 pistols at the time of the teenagers’
murders and documentation of any department-issued weapons that went missing
after the teenagers were murdered. During a preliminary hearing in McCraney’s
case, Lt. Michael Bryan said he believed a 9mm pistol was used to kill Beasley
and Hawlett.

Scarborough declined to comment on how the documents he requested through his
motions relate to the double murder. “We feel that it might be relevant to our
case,” he told The Appeal. “In what way I just don’t really want to go into
discussing.”

A spokesperson for the Ozark Police Department did not respond to requests for
comment.

On Aug. 1, 1999, Beasley and Hawlett, both 17, were shot to death in the
backseat of Beasley’s car. The girls were last seen the previous night when
they left their homes in the small city of Dothan, roughly 20 miles away, for a
birthday party.

The murders baffled police, and in 2000, “America’s Most Wanted” aired a
segment on the case. In a motion last month, McCraney’s attorneys requested
that law enforcement agencies hand over “any and all tips received during and
after the airing of any and all America’s Most Wanted episodes, conducted by
any city, state or federal law enforcement agency.”

There was no significant movement in the case until March, when the Ozark
police announced the arrest of McCraney with the help of DNA and a public
genealogy database. Lab results had indicated that there was a “high degree of
confidence” that McCraney’s DNA was found on Beasley’s sweater and underwear.
Results of a vaginal swab also returned a potential match for McCraney, which
law enforcement has said indicates that McCraney raped Beasley.

In September, the U.S. Department of Justice issued new rules that limit law
enforcement’s use of these databases to serious crimes like rape and murder.
The rules, which go into effect in November, will also prohibit police from
uploading fake profiles to genealogy websites without first identifying
themselves.

McCraney, a bishop at an Ozark church, has maintained his innocence, and
Harrison told The Appeal in July that he has evidence that will show McCraney
did not kill Beasley and Hawlett. “What’s crazy about this thing is the
majority of the county knows who did it specifically, they know the person’s
name,” Harrison said. “If you go to any church, they tell me who did it. The
majority of the people know who did it. The real killer is going to be
exposed.”

(source: the appeal.org)

MISSISSIPPI:

Matthew Kinne pleads not guilty in the murder of Dominique Clayton

Last month, Matthew Kinne was indicted on a capital murder charge by a
Lafayette County grand jury. On Monday, Kinne officially entered his plea to
the court.

The former Oxford Police officer plead not guilty during his arraignment at the
Lafayette County Courthouse. Attorney Tony Farese entered the plea on his
client’s behalf to Lafayette County Circuit Court Judge John A. Gregory.

Kinne is charged with the murder of Dominique Clayton, who was found dead in
her home on May 19. Clayton died of gunshot wounds while she slept in her
bedroom.

Members of Clayton’s family were in attendance during Monday’s proceedings,
including Reggie and Carolyn Clayton.

“(Clayton’s) kids are having a tough time,” Reggie said when asked how the
family is holding up. “The holidays are going to be approaching. It’s going to
be the first time they’ve spent the holidays without their mom. She’s missing
their football season, first day of school.”

With a capital murder charge comes the possibility of the death penalty. The
Clayton family is in support of Kinne receiving the death penalty if convicted,
Carolyn said.

“He needs the death penalty because he gave it to her,” Carolyn said. “I
support (the death penalty) now, to the fullest.”

Lafayette County Circuit Court’s final trial term of 2019 begins Oct. 7 and
runs through Oct. 25. It is unknown if Kinne’s case will be heard this year or
not. Farese declined to give a comment at the conclusion of the arraignment.

(source: The Oxford Eagle)

LOUISIANA:

Judge: Unanimous jury verdict required for accused cop killer Ian
Howard----Howard’s attorneys considering insanity plea in attempted murder case

The verdict in any trial for the man accused of killing a Lafayette Police
Department officer and wounding three others must be unanimous, a judge has
ruled.

Ian Paul Howard's trial is set for January. He was in court Monday before 15th
Judicial District Judge Jules Edwards as his defense attorneys moved to have
his trial require a unanimous verdict from a jury to declare him guilty.

Last fall, Louisiana voters approved a constitutional amendment that requires a
unanimous verdict from juries in non-capital cases. However, the law only
applies to the court cases of crimes that took place on or after Jan. 1, 2019.

According to Howard’s attorney, Stephen Singer, a legal precedent had already
been established in 2018 that declared the non-unanimous verdict provision in
state law unconstitutional.

In September 2018, a judge in Sabine Parish ruled in State of Louisiana vs.
Melvin Cartez Maxie that Article 1, §17 of the Louisiana Constitution of 1974
and Article 782 of the Louisiana Code of Criminal Procedure - which allowed
non-unanimous verdicts in jury trials - were unconstitutional due to the Equal
Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Assistant Attorney General Taylor Gray was present in Monday's hearing to
represent the Attorney General’s Office and told the judge that the Maxie
decision didn't set precedent for other cases, and was moot anyway because the
defendant pleaded guilty.

State prosecutors were also present but said they held the same position as the
attorney general.

However, the judge ultimately disagreed and recognized that the Maxie ruling
did establish a legal precedent.

“I don’t have the authority to instruct a jury to make a non-unanimous verdict
in this case,” said Edwards. “It’s already been declared unconstitutional. It
is what it is.”

Howard, 29, has 2 pending cases: a 1st-degree murder case in the Oct. 1, 2017
shooting death of Lafayette Cpl. Michael Middlebrook - for which prosecutors
intend to pursue the death penalty - and in a separate case, 3 charges of
attempted 1st-degree murder that involve the other alleged victims.

A trial date for those charges has been set for Jan. 21, 2020. No date has been
set for his 1st degree murder charge trial. The state has said they plan to
seek the death penalty in that trial.

Howard will be back in court on Oct. 31 when his defense counsel will determine
if they wish to present an insanity defense.

(source: KATC news)