[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----COLO., UTAH, ARIZ., ORE., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Aug 13 09:22:18 CDT 2019

August 13

COLORADO:

Money well spent? Death penalty stance means big bucks for La Junta DA’s office

Prosecuting the death penalty case for an inmate accused of murdering Colorado
Department of Corrections Sgt. Mary Ricard and wounding another officer during
a Sept. 24, 2012, attack is costing Coloradans big bucks, but taxpayers may
never know just how much.

And prosecutors’ insistence on pursuing the death penalty - even though
Colorado has not executed a criminal since 1997; the governor of the state
opposes capital punishment; and Ricard’s family opposes execution for the
killer - has added more than $1.6 million to the coffers of the District’s
Attorney’s Office in Colorado’s 16th Judicial District in La Junta.

Miguel Contreras-Perez, now 40, has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to
first-degree murder in the stabbing death of Ricard, 55, at the Arkansas Valley
prison in Ordway. Contreras-Perez also faces charges of attempted 1st-degree
murder and 1st-degree assault in the attack on Sgt. Lori Gann, who survived.

The case has been mired down in legal maneuverings for the past 7 years, slowed
by competency evaluations and changes in attorneys representing
Contreras-Perez.

"This case has had so many frustrations from start to finish," said James
Bullock, the 16th Judicial District Attorney, who is prosecuting the case.

Bullock declined to comment any further as "this case is still currently
pending," he said.

As a part of that process, Bullock is allowed by state law to bill the Colorado
Department of Corrections for the cost of prosecuting Contreras-Perez. A
Colorado Open Records Act Request filed by The Pueblo Chieftain on July 23 was
fulfilled by the Colorado Department of Corrections and reveals the cost the
taxpayers have had to shoulder for the prosecution.

>From October of 2012 to July 1 of this year, the DOC has paid $1.665 million of
taxpayers’ money to Bullock’s office. Billing’s notes indicate the fees have
covered attorney, investigator, paralegal and support staff costs as well as
supplies, service fees, transcript and postage costs associated with the case.

Currently, Denver Attorney David Lane and members of his staff are representing
Contreras-Perez, who is held at the maximum-security section of Sterling
Correctional Facility in Northern Colorado.

The Chieftain also made a Colorado Open Records request with the Colorado
Office of Alternate Defense Council on Aug. 5, asking for documentation of the
cost to state taxpayers to pay attorneys representing Contreras-Perez.

On Aug. 7, Deputy Director Darren Cantor denied the request based on a Colorado
Supreme Court rule stating there are exceptions and limitations on access to
records, and that agencies must deny inspection if the records have privileged
information; confidential legal, commercial, financial, geological, or
geophysical data; and confidential personal information.

"State lawmakers in 2015 killed a bill that would have made the State Public
Defender’s Office and the Office of Alternate Defense Counsel subject to CORA.
At the time, reporters were trying to get records from the public defender
showing how much that office spent to keep James Holmes from the death
penalty," said Jeffrey Roberts, executive director of the Colorado Freedom of
Information Coalition. Holmes on July 20, 2012, killed 12 people and injured 70
others when he opened fire in an Aurora movie theater.

"Since then, the judicial branch adopted the rules cited by Cantor."

Although the Chieftain did not seek any personal or confidential information,
the request was denied.

"Yes, they seem to be interpreting that provision very broadly," Roberts said.

Crowley County District Court Judge Michael Schiferl was overseeing the case
against Contreras-Perez and agreed to a change of venue last year, so Pueblo
District Court Judge William Alexander took over the case last August.
Currently, the case is set for a 6-month jury trial starting Jan. 6.

Conteras-Perez is scheduled to appear in court today for a status conference.
The case involves hundreds of witnesses, 55,000 pages of evidence, hostile
witnesses, El Salvadorian witnesses from Conteras-Perez’s native country, who
Lane fears may encounter difficulty getting into the U.S. to testify.

During a February 2014 preliminary hearing spanning 3 days starting in December
2013, videotaped interviews were played in the courtroom and Contreras-Perez
talked of a relationship with Gann. He later recanted his statements.

He initially said the relationship involved her accepting love notes from him
and letting him touch her without writing him up for breaking the rules. He
told investigators that she halted the relationship, but at times would change
her attitude and that had confused him.

Later, in letters he sent to the district attorney’s office, Contreras-Perez
recanted about the relationship and said, "I tried to pass notes and she didn’t
accept them."

Evidence indicated Contreras-Perez removed a kitchen knife from its wire cable
tether by chopping at the tether about 15 times. He first killed Ricard by
asking her to take him to a supply room for supplies, then attacked Gann.

Contreras-Perez admitted to investigators he would have killed Gann but Sgt.
Lisa Orosco walked in and he stopped because she was there.

Ricard’s husband, Tim Ricard, told The Pueblo Chieftain last year that he has
been to all but one court hearing because "I feel I have to be there for her."

At one recent court hearing, Mary Ricard’s daughter, Katie Benson Smith, said
she witnessed defense attorney Lane present a book, "History of the Death
Penalty in Colorado," by Michael Radelet to both the defense and the judge,
requesting they read the book.

"We’ve requested they not pursue the death penalty from the get go, but it
falls on deaf ears," Smith said. "They say they have a job to do and I don’t
know what to think," Smith said.

Ricard’s family would prefer to see the case wrapped up. Seven years of travel
and time spent attending court hearings has taken a toll on them.

"As long as it (disposition) is done right," Smith said, it is the victim’s
family members’ belief that it would be better to have the case wrapped up
instead of requiring them to trek from all over the state to attend court
hearings at which they are painfully reminded about how Mary Ricard died.

During the most recent legislative session, Tim Ricard testified and Smith’s
brother read a statement on her behalf during a hearing about abolishing the
death penalty in Colorado. The bill did not advance.

"I don’t know what the Legislature’s plan is this next session, but I have
heard there is a big push for the issue to be brought up again," Smith said.

It has been more than a half-century since a Puebloan was executed. John Bizup,
26, a white handyman, was executed in the gas chamber on Aug. 14, 1964, for a
murder and robbery in Pueblo.

3 years later Luis Monge, 48, a Hispanic appliance salesman was executed June
2, 1967, for a Denver murder. After that, the gas chamber was no longer used.

The only execution to occur since Monge was Oct. 13, 1997, when Gary Lee Davis,
53, a white man, was executed by lethal injection for a 1986 murder and rape.
Davis was on death row for a decade while appeals were litigated.

In modern-day Colorado, convicts with more heinous crimes that seem fitting for
the death penalty have escaped capital punishment. Holmes was sentenced to life
without parole in 2015 after a jury failed to agree on the death penalty.

And even when an execution seems imminent, Colorado’s governors don’t always
agree to sign the death warrant. A judge initially set an execution date for
Nathan Dunlap in August 2013, but Gov. John Hickenlooper signed a temporary
reprieve to postpone Dunlap’s execution date. Dunlap, now a 45-year-old black
male, is the old timer on death row, having been there since 1996. He was
convicted of murdering 4 people at an Aurora pizza restaurant in 1993.

Current Democratic Gov. Jared Polis has indicated he would sign a bill that
would end the death penalty and it is a topic the Legislature is expected to
take up again in the upcoming session.

(source: The Pueblo Chieftain)

UTAH:

Ron Lafferty could face firing squad within ‘months’ after Utah death row
inmate loses latest appeal

A federal appeals court Monday pushed Ron Lafferty, who is on Utah’s death row
for the 1984 murder of his sister-in-law and niece in American Fork, much
closer to a firing squad by denying his latest appeal.

Lafferty, 78, can appeal the latest decision to the U.S. Supreme Court, said
Andrew Peterson, assistant solicitor general at the Utah attorney general’s
office.

"It’s incredibly unlikely they will review this case," Peterson said, "and if
they don’t, we’re talking months" until Lafferty is executed.

Dale Baich, an attorney for Lafferty, issued a statement Monday afternoon.

"When the most severe penalty a state can impose is at stake," the statement
said, "we look to the courts to be the safety net to ensure that the full
protections allowed by the Constitution have been met. Here, the court relied
on procedural technicalities to deny Mr. Lafferty a complete appellate review
of his case.

"We are carefully reviewing the decision and going forward, we will exercise
all state and federal legal options."

Utah has not executed an inmate since a firing squad shot Ronnie Lee Gardner to
death in 2010. The state has 8 inmates on its death row. Monday’s ruling makes
Lafferty the closest of them to being executed.

State law gives Lafferty the choice between death by lethal injection or firing
squad. Lafferty has said in court proceedings he wants the latter.

In 2004, the Utah Legislature ended the firing squad option, except for inmates
who had already been sentenced to die and had selected that method. Then, in
2015, the Legislature added firing squads again, but only if courts determine
Utah does not have the cocktail of drugs needed to execute an inmate by lethal
injection.

Monday’s ruling by the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals covered old ground.
Lafferty again argued his original trial attorneys misrepresented him, that he
should not have been found competent to stand trial and he should not have been
made to stand trial a 2nd time after winning an earlier appeal.

Monday’s decision rejected every point. The 18-page ruling from the
Denver-based appellate judges repeatedly said they found no errors with the
federal and state courts in Utah that already sided against Lafferty’s
arguments.

Lafferty and his younger brother Dan Lafferty participated in the murders of
Brenda Lafferty, 24, and her 15-month-old daughter, Erica - crimes captured in
Jon Krakauer’s book "Under the Banner of Heaven." According to court documents,
the brothers blamed their sister-in-law for helping Ron Lafferty’s wife leave
him with their 6 children. Ron and Dan Lafferty also were upset, according to
trial testimony, that Brenda Lafferty opposed her husband, Allen Lafferty,
joining their polygamous cult, called School of the Prophets.

On Pioneer Day 1984, Ron and Dan Lafferty forced their way into Brenda and
Allen Lafferty’s American Fork duplex. The husband was not home.

Ron and Dan Lafferty beat her, strangled her with a vacuum cord and slit her
throat, court documents say. Dan Lafferty then killed Erica by cutting her
throat.

The 2 brothers were tried separately. Dan Lafferty went on trial first in
January 1985. He represented himself. The 12 jurors convicted him of 2 counts
of 1st-degree murder and 4 other felonies but were unable to vote unanimously
for the death penalty. A judge sentenced him to 2 life terms.

When Ron Lafferty, who had lawyers representing him, went to trial the
following April, the jury convicted him and voted unanimously that he be put to
death. The 10th Circuit - the same court that ruled Monday - later overturned
the capital murder conviction and ordered a new trial after finding that the
wrong standards had been used to evaluate Ron Lafferty’s mental competency.

The 2nd trial commenced in 1996 with the same result - Ron Lafferty was
convicted of murder charges and sentenced to die. Lafferty’s legal case has
been crawling through state and federal courts ever since.

Even if the U.S. Supreme Court rejects the latest appeal, Ron Lafferty will
still have some legal options. Once a state judge signs an execution warrant,
Ron Lafferty will have the right to request a commutation from the Utah Board
of Pardons and Parole.

Peterson said Ron Lafferty’s attorneys might also yet argue he is not competent
to be executed. Mental competency has arisen ever since Ron Lafferty was tried
the 1st time, with trial and appellate attorneys arguing he couldn’t adequately
assist in his defense.

Peterson said there is a different legal standard for determining if someone is
competent to go to an execution chamber.

"As long as he knows why he’s being punished," Peterson said, "he’s competent
to be executed."

(source: Salt Lake Tribune)

*******************

New appeal denied: Is Utah inmate Ron Lafferty months away from a firing squad?

The man convicted of committing one of Utah's most infamous double murders has
lost his latest round of appeals, putting him another step closer to a firing
squad execution.

Ronald Lafferty, 78, was seeking a certificate that would allow him to make an
appeal to another court. On Monday, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver
denied that request.

"This is effectively the end of the habeas case, other than motions," said
Andrew Peterson, with the Utah Attorney General's Office, meaning Lafferty's
challenges to his conviction and sentence are over.

At this point, Peterson said Lafferty can ask the 10th Circuit to reconsider
its decision, ask the full 10th Circuit to consider his case rather than a
panel of judges, or ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review his case. Peterson
believes it's "exceedingly unlikely" that the nation's highest court would hear
Lafferty's case.

Because of Monday's decision, Peterson said it's "conceivable" that Lafferty is
now just months away from execution.

Lafferty and his brother, Dan Lafferty, were convicted of slitting the throats
of his sister-in-law, Brenda Lafferty, and her infant daughter in 1984 - crimes
they committed after Ron Lafferty allegedly received a revelation from God
telling him to kill them. Dan Lafferty was sentenced to life in prison.

Lafferty is one of the longest-serving death row inmates in the state. His case
has gone through numerous appeals.

In his latest appeal, Lafferty was seeking a certificate of appealability,
something he has already sought and been denied once before. A certificate of
appealability is needed in order for another court to hear arguments that a
habeas corpus appeal was wrongfully denied.

Peterson said Lafferty was essentially asking for a permit to be allowed to
appeal.

"After exhausting his state court remedies, Lafferty sought federal habeas
relief by filing a petition in federal district court," according to the 10th
Circuit Court's decision issued Monday. "The district court denied his petition
and also denied him a certificate of appealability. Lafferty has now filed a
renewed motion."

In the appeals court's decision, the judges deny 4 arguments made by Lafferty:
that the state did not have jurisdiction to retry him; that his retrial
violated the double jeopardy clause; that he had ineffective assistance at
trial and at sentencing; and that the state court erred in finding him
competent to stand trial.

Peterson said the state will still seek a warrant of execution for Lafferty,
despite his age.

"We've been attempting for several decades to have his judgment carried out,"
he said.

Peterson said it would be an injustice to the victims and their families if
Lafferty was not executed simply because he "waited it out."

Lafferty would be the 2nd oldest inmate if executed. In 2018, Walter Moody
became the oldest person executed, in Alabama, at 83.

(source: Deseret News)

ARIZONA:

Intent on Restoring His Conviction and Death Sentence, Arizona Reinvents Its
Case Against Barry Jones----A year after a federal judge overturned the
conviction of Barry Jones, Arizona is still fighting to execute him.

On a clear, blue day in late spring, Arizona Assistant Attorney General Myles
Braccio stood before a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
It was just after 10 a.m. Braccio had a half-hour to salvage a 24-year-old
death penalty conviction that had been overturned by a federal judge. "Your
honors," he began, "this case today presents nothing more than a habeas
petitioner who hired several new experts, many years after his convictions and
sentences, in an attempt to undermine the jury’s verdicts."

The petitioner was Barry Lee Jones, sent to death row in 1995 for an
unspeakable crime: the rape and murder of a 4-year-old girl. Jones had always
sworn he was innocent - and the experts in question, hired by the Office of the
Arizona Federal Public Defender, had dismantled the case against him. During a
seven-day evidentiary hearing held in 2017, witnesses had explained in sobering
detail why the state’s medical theory of the crime was impossible. Had Jones’s
trial lawyers presented such evidence, U.S. District Judge Timothy Burgess
ruled in July 2018, “there is a reasonable probability that his jury would not
have convicted him of any of the crimes” that sent him to death row.

Burgess ordered Arizona to swiftly retry or release Jones. Instead, the state
appealed to the 9th Circuit. An oral argument was scheduled for June 20 at its
headquarters in downtown San Francisco. The courthouse at Seventh and Mission
looks stately but plain from the outside, but inside it is startlingly
magnificent: an opulent Beaux Arts building replete with marble, vaulted
ceilings and a bronze elevator cage, just past security. Braccio, 39, arrived
unaccompanied by his colleagues with the Arizona Attorney General’s Office.
With a new beard, mustache, and glasses, he was now the face of the state’s
determination to execute Jones.

Jones’s actual innocence was not up for debate. Rather, the judges had to
decide whether they agreed with Burgess that the new medical evidence would
likely have led to an acquittal if considered by a jury. They also had to
address a more vexing legal argument advanced by the state: that under the
sweeping Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act, or AEDPA, Burgess
should not have granted the 2017 evidentiary hearing in the first place.

The state’s position seemed weak, if not desperate, on the one hand. The case
against Jones had been so thoroughly discredited that it was hard to imagine
how the remaining evidence against him could survive the scrutiny of a new
trial. Of course, from the state’s perspective, that was the point of
appealing. Arizona prosecutors clearly believed it would be easier to convince
a panel of federal judges that Burgess was wrong on the law than it would be to
convince a jury to reconvict Jones. At this stage of capital appellate
litigation, cases are most often won or lost on procedural technicalities, no
matter how clear cut the underlying facts may seem.

The case against Jones had been so thoroughly discredited that it was hard to
imagine how the remaining evidence against him could survive the scrutiny of a
new trial.

Braccio began by recasting the medical testimony at the 2017 evidentiary
hearing. The evidence was actually "double-edged," he argued. Even if it did
not fully support the original theory of the crime, it still supported other
elements of the state’s case. And those were enough to reinstate Jones’s
conviction and sentence.

The judges looked skeptical. They had reviewed the voluminous records in the
case. The files dated back to the morning of May 2, 1994: the day 4-year-old
Rachel Gray arrived at a Tucson hospital, lifeless, bruised, and showing
injuries to her head and vagina. She and her siblings had been living with
their mother, Angela Gray - Jones’s girlfriend at the time - in Jones’s cramped
home at the Desert Vista Trailer Park. An autopsy would show that Rachel died
from a blow to her abdomen that ruptured her duodenum, part of her small
intestine, leading to a deadly condition called peritonitis. There was little
doubt someone had violently harmed the child. But the lead detective never
investigated the timing of Rachel’s fatal injury, merely assuming it had been
inflicted on the eve of her death. Law enforcement immediately seized on Jones,
ignoring any alternative suspects.

In his ruling overturning the conviction, Burgess called this a "rush to
judgment." The state had placed its entire theory of the crime within a narrow
window on May 1 - during which Jones had been seen with Rachel taking short
trips in his van - but now it was clear that Rachel’s condition could never
have become so grave so fast. The timeline used to convict Jones no longer fit,
9th Circuit Judge Richard Clifton told Braccio. "We’re close to the OJ
anniversary," he added, "and things don’t fit, you gotta acquit, right?"

In a judicial circuit famed for being the most liberal in the country, Clifton,
68, is among the more conservative members of the bench. Seated next to him was
another judge who is no bleeding heart: Judge Johnnie Rawlinson, a former
prosecutor from Nevada. The third and most liberal member of the panel was
Judge Paul Watford, appointed by Barack Obama. Ideologically, it was a mixed
bag. But if there were any deep disagreements over the case, they were hard to
discern. The stakes were high for Jones going into the oral argument. But they
would soon become even higher. In July, U.S. Attorney General William Barr
announced plans to resume federal executions - and Arizona Attorney General
Mark Brnovich immediately signaled plans do the same. "As you know, Arizona has
not carried out an execution since 2014," he wrote in a letter to Gov. Doug
Ducey. Under a legal settlement following a notorious botched execution,
Arizona had adopted a new 1-drug protocol allowing for pentobarbital - the same
drug just chosen by the Justice Department. "This suggests that the federal
government has successfully obtained pentobarbital,- Brnovich wrote, noting
that Arizona had struggled to acquire the drug. He asked for the governor’s
help finding a supply to restart executions. "Justice must be done for the
victims of these heinous crimes and their families. Those who committed the
ultimate crime deserve the ultimate punishment."

"Subtract Everything Else"

There is no question that the original charges against Jones were some of the
worst crimes imaginable. But the oral argument made clear that Arizona is now
trying win back Jones’s death sentence on any possible basis - even one that
radically alters the original theory of the case.

Jurors found Jones guilty on 4 counts along with 1st-degree murder: 3 counts of
child abuse and 1 of "sexual assault of a minor under 14" Under Arizona’s
felony murder law - in which a person can be found guilty of 1st-degree murder
if a death occurs during the commission of a felony - any of the 4 counts were
sufficient to support a death sentence. To reinstate Jones’s conviction,
Braccio just needed to convince the panel that a jury would still convict Jones
on any one of the original counts.

The judges swiftly shut down Braccio’s first line of argument: that despite all
the new medical evidence, a jury would still have convicted Jones of sexual
assault. This was a somewhat baffling place to begin; of the original charges
against Jones, it was perhaps the weakest. There was never any physical
evidence tying Jones to Rachel’s vaginal injury. A pediatric pathologist had
found that, while there was evidence of re-injury, the original wound dated
back weeks - possibly before Rachel lived with Jones. Braccio’s claim didn’t
stand up, Clifton told him. "Because once you open the door to an earlier time
period, you open the door to lots of other potential culprits."

Braccio asked the judges to discard the horrific charges at the heart of the
state’s original case and fast-forward to the part where Jones did not take
Rachel to the hospital.

Braccio moved on to his next argument: Even if a jury would not have found
Jones guilty of physically assaulting Rachel, he said, it would definitely have
convicted him on a separate count of child abuse: the failure to take Rachel to
the hospital the night before she died.

This argument was harder to dismiss. It was true that Rachel was visibly sick
and injured that evening. As Braccio pointed out, multiple neighbors had
expressed concern - and one of Jones’s own medical experts had testified that
it would have been apparent to anyone that the child was unwell, even if the
reason was unclear. Particularly damning for Jones was that he had admitted to
lying to Angela Gray about taking Rachel to get medical attention earlier that
day. As Jones would tell police, Rachel had bloodied her head after falling
from his parked van; she said a little boy had pushed her. Jones said he was
taking Rachel to be seen by paramedics at a nearby fire station but changed his
mind after spotting a police car. Wishing to avoid being caught with a
suspended license, Jones said he drove to a Quik Mart, where an EMT shined a
light in Rachel’s eyes and concluded that she was OK. "He said something about
her, her eyes being reactive equal, reacting equal, something," Jones told
police.

The head injury was not what killed Rachel. But the lie about taking Rachel to
the fire station made Jones an early suspect. However, as Jones’s lawyer,
Assistant Federal Public Defender Cary Sandman, argued, it was Gray - known to
be physically abusive toward her kids - who did not want to take Rachel to the
hospital that night. She was afraid she would be suspected of child abuse. In
fact, Pima County prosecutors had tried and failed to win a felony murder
conviction against Gray on the same charge in 1995. She was given 8 years
instead.

But most importantly, Sandman said, the jurors who convicted Jones of
"intentionally and knowingly" denying medical care to Rachel had been persuaded
that he committed the underlying offenses - namely raping and fatally beating
her. In her closing statement at trial, the prosecutor said that Jones had
deliberately refused to take Rachel to the hospital in order to cover up his
deadly actions. This argument was inextricable from the jury’s decision to find
Jones guilty on all counts, Sandman argued. "I think that the conviction has to
be set aside," he told the judges. If the state decides to retry Jones - a
decision the attorney general’s office has repeatedly tried to avoid - "they
can retry him on that count."

"You’re now asking us to hypothesize an entirely different trial that never
occurred."

Braccio vehemently disagreed. Jurors had been instructed to consider each count
separately, he pointed out. He asked the judges to simply discard the horrific
charges at the heart of the state’s original case and fast-forward to the part
where Jones did not take Rachel to the hospital. "I think you can look at the
evidence from trial in this case and start exactly when he returned to the
trailer park with Rachel after these numerous trips he took," Braccio said.
"Subtract everything else - everything else that happened before that. And the
record is overwhelming to convict him of fatal neglect in this case."

Watford pushed back. "You’re now asking us to hypothesize an entirely different
trial that never occurred," he told Braccio. But the judge was more incredulous
at a different claim peddled by Braccio: that under Arizona law, it did not
matter whether Jones even realized Rachel was gravely injured on the night
before she died. His failure to take her to the hospital still made him guilty
of murder.

"That’s a pretty tough standard to apply a death penalty to," Clifton remarked.
Never mind the death penalty, Watford said. Was Braccio really suggesting that
a parent who fails to take their kid to the hospital can be convicted of murder
- even if they have no idea their child’s life is at risk? "Absolutely correct,
your honor," Braccio said.

"I can tell you the Eighth Amendment does not permit someone to get the death
penalty for doing that," Watford responded. "That has got to be true. Correct?"
Braccio demurred. But taken to its logical conclusion, that’s exactly what he
was saying.

Unintended Consequences

It has been more than a year since Jones first heard the news of his overturned
conviction. The order last summer brought a palpable sense of excitement and
relief that seemed to mark the end of a very long road. But the state soon made
clear it was not giving up, and despite Burgess’s order telling Arizona to
retry or release him, Jones was not likely to go home anytime soon after all.

With a ruling from the 9th Circuit panel not likely to come until the end of
this year, the next few months will extend what has already felt like an
endless series of waits for Jones. It had taken 8 months after the 2017
evidentiary hearing for Burgess to overturn his conviction. Before that, it was
a lengthy wait for the hearing itself - not to mention the years it took his
lawyers to win the hearing to begin with. Even if the 9th Circuit rules in
Jones’s favor, there is no reason to believe the state will yield.

I first wrote about Jones in the days leading up to the 2017 hearing. The
records, police reports, and trial transcripts were filled with red flags
pointing to a wrongful conviction, from prosecutorial misconduct to junk
science. Two jurors who voted to find Jones guilty had since expressed
misgivings about the case. And friends and neighbors who knew Jones from Desert
Vista told me that they never believed he was responsible for Rachel’s death.

In the meantime, there have been significant shifts in Arizona where the death
penalty is concerned. The same year as Jones’s evidentiary hearing, several
former prosecutors and judges threw their support behind a petition before the
U.S. Supreme Court, brought by a man on death row named Abel Daniel Hidalgo,
who argued that Arizona’s death penalty was so overly broad as to be
unconstitutional. Hidalgo’s attorneys presented statistical data that showed 98
percent of first-degree murder defendants in Maricopa County (where the death
penalty is most frequently sought) were eligible for the death penalty. This
flew in the face of the notion that capital punishment be reserved only for the
most egregious cases - for defendants who are the "worst of the worst."

Among those who signed an amicus brief supporting Hidalgo was the man who wrote
Arizona’s death penalty law more than 40 years ago. As he told me in late 2017,
the once-narrow list of aggravating factors that were supposed to tip the
scales toward a death sentence in Arizona has "crept and expanded to absurd,
broad categories." Among them: offenses "committed in a cold, calculated manner
without pretense of moral or legal justification."

The Supreme Court ultimately rejected Hidalgo’s petition, explaining that,
while the data pointed to a problem that "warrants careful attention and
evaluation," there was not enough evidence presented for the justices to rule
one way or another. But Justice Stephen Breyer highlighted other concerning
aspects of Arizona’s law that show how broadly the death penalty can be
applied. "Arizona’s capital murder statute makes all 1st-degree murderers
eligible for death and defines first-degree murder broadly to include all
premeditated homicides along with felony murder based on 22 possible predicate
felony offenses," he wrote.

The most recent Arizona prosecutor to come out against the death penalty is a
man closely linked to Jones’s case.

It is under this sentencing scheme that Arizona is now fighting to execute
Jones, not for the "ultimate crime," but for failing to take Rachel to the
hospital. Braccio may indeed be right that state law would authorize a death
sentence in these circumstances. But few would argue that this is how the
state’s death penalty law was intended to work.

The most recent Arizona prosecutor to come out against the death penalty is a
man closely linked to Jones’s case. In May, just weeks before the oral argument
before the 9th Circuit, Deputy Pima County Attorney Rick Unklesbay published a
memoir titled "Arbitrary Death: A Prosecutor’s Perspective on the Death
Penalty." The slim volume contains profiles of capital cases he handled dating
back to the 1980s - grisly crimes that he still believes merited the death
penalty. But the book reveals how Unklesbay came to decide the system is
unworkable. It critiqued the overly broad aggravating factors, some of which
are "perplexing, even to prosecutors."

Yet Unklesbay’s book had a notable omission. While he briefly acknowledged the
risk of executing people for crimes they did not commit, he made practically no
mention of the nine people exonerated from Arizona’s death row. This is
particularly odd given Unklesbay’s current position in Tucson: He is the head
of Pima County’s Conviction Integrity Unit. It is literally his job to review
cases of possible innocence.

Unklesbay’s abolitionist message would likely ring hollow to Jones. For years
his attorneys have sought to submit his case to the Pima County CIU, but
Unklesbay has repeatedly declined to accept it. After Burgess vacated Jones’s
conviction, Unklesbay told me it was too soon to know whether the CIU would
accept the case. In an email last week, Unklesbay echoed this message. "I’m
waiting for 9th Circuit as well and waiting to hear from the attorney general
about the outcome," he wrote. "So we haven’t considered anything further on it
at this point."

"That’s the Conundrum"

The oral argument in San Francisco was winding down when the judges finally
addressed the most confusing part of the state’s appeal: that under AEDPA,
Burgess had been wrong to grant the 2017 evidentiary hearing - and to use it as
a basis for overturning Jones’s conviction.

Jones only ever made it back into federal court thanks to a 2012 ruling by the
U.S. Supreme Court named Martinez v. Ryan. The decision provided a narrow
remedy in cases where there was compelling evidence of poor lawyering that had
never been heard in court. The Sixth Amendment right to counsel is a
cornerstone of American law. For appellate attorneys in criminal cases, an
ineffective assistance claim is the most obvious and viable path to a new
trial. Yet, depending in part on the procedural rules in a given state, there
is no guarantee a court will meaningfully assess a trial lawyer’s performance,
even in a death penalty case. AEDPA, passed a year after Jones was convicted,
bolstered rules shutting out ineffective assistance claims from federal review
if a defendant had previously failed to bring them in state court.

But Martinez carved out a crucial exception to this rule. If the failure was
itself due to the ineffectiveness of a state post-conviction attorney, the
justices ruled, a federal court could consider the claim. "Before Martinez, the
general rule that applied in every case was, if your post-conviction lawyer is
negligent, the client is stuck with that,"
Sandman, Jones’s lawyer, told me.

Jones’s case "seems to fit to a tee what Martinez was intended to correct,"
Sandman says. "I mean, here’s a guy who’s been in prison for 25 years and he
used Martinez to show that he didn’t get a fair trial." But the Arizona
Attorney General’s Office accused Burgess of taking Martinez too far. The
ruling created "a gateway" to having an ineffective assistance claim considered
- "no more, no less," the state argued. Just because Jones had overcome this
initial hurdle - a concept known as "procedural default" - to get his claim
considered by Burgess did not mean he was actually entitled to prove it in
court. After all, AEDPA explicitly forbids federal courts from granting an
evidentiary hearing on a claim that was never developed in state court.

In other words, if Jones had wished to present the evidence on display at the
2017 evidentiary hearing to win a new trial, he should have gotten his
post-conviction attorney to do it back when he was assigned one in 1999.
Burgess had violated AEDPA "by using all of this evidence" to decide Jones’s
case, Braccio argued.

"Counsel, just so I understand your argument," Rawlinson said, "are you saying
that it was permissible to use this evidence to determine whether or not there
was cause to excuse the procedural default, but then a line has to be drawn
around that evidence, and it cannot be used on the merits? That’s your
argument?"

"Exactly right, your honor," Braccio said. The judges seemed confounded. What
was the point of allowing the claim to be brought before a judge if then there
was no evidence for a judge to consider? Braccio replied that a judge could
just look to the state court record. "But that doesn’t make sense if the claim
wasn’t developed in state court," Rawlinson said. "That’s the conundrum I’m
having with your argument. If the claim was never developed in state court,
there will be nothing in the state record. You’d be looking at a vacuum
basically."

"Are you aware of the concept of Catch-22?” Clifton said. “Because this seems
like exactly that."

The judges were clearly not convinced by Braccio’s argument. But they also
seemed genuinely unsure about how to proceed. "I feel a little caught," Clifton
confessed. On the one hand, "it seems insane" to allow someone like Jones to
develop all the facts that prove he should have a chance to get back into court
under Martinez, only to then say a judge must ignore that same evidence. "That
doesn’t make any sense." But the Supreme Court was also clear that Martinez did
not overrule any of its earlier decisions - including those that restrict
evidentiary development under AEDPA. ":So, I feel sort of handcuffed."

Rawlinson asked Braccio whether there was a specific case that supported his
stance. He cited a "combination" of rulings. So, "you’re asking us to cobble
together all of these sources and come up with the conclusion that the evidence
that’s been garnered in support of [Jones] is no longer in play?" Rawlinson
replied. "Correct," Braccio said.

"This is a separation of powers issue," Braccio went on. Congress passed AEDPA
in order to ensure finality in criminal convictions. Just because the Supreme
Court carved out an exception to one of the law’s strict procedural rules did
not mean its other rules did not apply. "Well, it appears the Supreme Court has
done that in Martinez," Rawlinson responded. "And we’re bound to follow the
Supreme Court’s ruling on this."

Sandman predicts that the 9th Circuit will ultimately reject Braccio’s
argument. But he also expects Arizona to appeal to the Supreme Court. In his
view, this will do little more than drag out a process that has unfairly kept
his client on death row for more than 2 1/2 decades. The Martinez decision was
clearly intended to open a door that had long been closed to people like Jones,
he says.

"Martinez was a 7-2 decision," Sandman says. Only Clarence Thomas and the late
Antonin Scalia dissented. Unless John Roberts and Samuel Alito, who voted with
the majority, want to suddenly "switch sides," it is highly unlikely that the
court will grant review on the question. To do so would be to say, "‘We want to
close the door that we opened.’ And I don’t see that happening. I think they’re
going to want to leave the door open."

(source: theintercept.com)

OREGON:

Oregon’s new law limiting the death penalty applies to past cases, new legal
opinion says

Lawmakers this year assured Oregonians that a new law significantly limiting
the death penalty in Oregon would not affect death row cases returned to lower
courts for retrial or new sentencing hearings. On Friday, a top lawyer with the
Oregon Department of Justice told prosecutors the law does in fact apply to
those cases -- and to pending aggravated murder cases as well.

Lawmakers this year assured Oregonians that a new law significantly limiting
the death penalty in Oregon would not affect death row cases returned to lower
courts for retrial or new sentencing hearings. On Friday, a top lawyer with the
Oregon Department of Justice told prosecutors the law does in fact apply to
those cases -- and to pending aggravated murder cases as well. State
legislators this year made repeated assurances that a new law significantly
limiting the death penalty in Oregon wouldn’t apply to death row cases returned
to lower courts for retrial or new sentencing hearings.

Now, a top lawyer with the Oregon Department of Justice has told prosecutors
that the law does indeed affect those cases -- and pending aggravated murder
cases as well.

Benjamin Gutman, Oregon’s solicitor general, wrote the email, which was
distributed Friday and later obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive.

Gutman said the issue came up during the agency’s review of a Washington County
trial court ruling last week involving Martin Allen Johnson who authorities say
raped and murdered a 15-year-old Tigard girl in 1998 before throwing her body
off an Astoria bridge.

As soon as Gov. Kate Brown signed Senate Bill 1013, which limits the crimes
eligible for the death penalty, Johnson’s lawyers raised the issue of whether
the law applies to their client. Circuit Judge Eric Butterfield determined that
Johnson’s crime no longer qualifies as aggravated murder under the new law and
therefore he isn’t eligible for the death penalty.

"I know that I have had conversations with many of you in which I suggested
otherwise but after careful review of the issue - we have concluded that we
don’t have a plausible basis for an appeal," Gutman wrote.

State Rep. Jennifer Williamson, D-Portland, had told The Oregonian/OregonLive
last month that lawmakers drafted a separate bill, Senate Bill 1005, to make
clear that SB 1013 wouldn’t apply to those who have been previously sentenced
but have been granted reversals.

The 2nd bill passed at the close of the session and was signed into law this
month by Brown. It says SB 1013 doesn’t "apply to persons who were originally
sentenced before January 1, 2020, and who are subsequently resentenced on or
after January 1, 2020, as the result of an appellate decision or a
post-conviction relief proceeding or for any other reason."

Williamson on Monday was unavailable for comment, according to her legislative
aide. Williamson, an attorney, stepped down as House Majority Leader last month
and has been rumored to be interested in a run for Oregon attorney general.

A representative of Sen. Floyd Prozanski, a leading proponent of SB 1013, said
the senator hadn’t seen Gutman’s email and wasn’t available to talk about it.

It is unclear how the opinion will affect some of the state’s most notorious
cases.

The new law narrows the definition of aggravated murder, which is the only
crime in Oregon eligible for a death sentence. Aggravated murder is now limited
to defendants who kill 2 or more people as an act of organized terrorism; kill
a child younger than 14 intentionally and with premeditation; kill another
person while locked in jail or prison for a previous murder; or kill a police,
correctional or probation officer.

Gutman, who as solicitor general oversees the state’s appellate division, said
the Justice Department’s analysis has broad implications. Lawyers for the
agency handle all appeals for criminal cases.

He sent the email to prosecutors with aggravated murder cases that have been
sent back for retrial.

"I thought all of your offices would want to know about our conclusion because
it also means that we do not think we could defend a death sentence (or even an
aggravated murder conviction) obtained in any of the pending cases even if the
trial courts were to rule differently than the court" in the Washington County
case, he wrote.

Gutman wrote that he had been under the impression that lawmakers had addressed
concerns over the law’s retroactivity by passing SB 1005, "but on a closer
read, SB 1005 does not have any language limiting the application of SB 1013’s
substantive provisions to cases being retried."

Gutman’s opinion sent prosecutors reeling.

Tim Colahan, executive director of the Oregon District Attorneys Association,
and other prosecutors said the opinion has injected uncertainty into the most
serious cases and undermined the families of murder victims.

"This contradicts the express intent that the proponents of SB 1013 stated
during the legislative process and also is contrary to the stated legislative
intent expressed by legislators when the bill passed," Colahan said. The
organization opposed Senate Bill 1013.

District attorneys are trying to determine how many cases may be affected by
the opinion, he said.

Meanwhile, Washington County District Attorney Kevin Barton said the
legislation has thrown the state’s most serious statutes into chaos.

"Oregon’s murder laws are now a mess after the passage of SB 1013," he said.
"This is what happens when politicians ignore the will of Oregon voters and
disregard the experience and input of Oregon’s prosecutors."

Barton said Senate Bill 1013 was passed without regard for its "real world
impact to our communities and to our victims."

"There are victims and families across Oregon who are suffering right now as a
result of the mess that has been created," he said.

Katie Suver, a longtime deputy district attorney in Marion County, said the law
was hastily passed and poorly crafted. She said her testimony before the
Legislature was limited to 2 minutes -- not enough time, she said, to discuss
concerns about implications of major change to Oregon murder statutes.

"There needed to be a lot more care in passing this law," she said.

Lane County District Attorney Patty Perlow said prosecutors worried that the
new law would have implications for cases sent back for new trials or
sentencing hearings.

"This is why I have been saying all along this bill isn’t going to save any
money," she said. "We are going to have to litigate every issue."

(source: oregonlive.com)

USA:

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin files bill to abolish death penalty nationwide

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin is pushing to abolish the federal death penalty after
President Donald Trump’s administration announced it will be resuming
executions again for the 1st time since 2003.

Durbin’s bill would "prohibit the imposition of the death penalty for any
violation of Federal law, and for other purposes." Durbin said Illinois
eliminated the death penalty 8 years ago and, "We should do the same at the
federal level," he said in a news release.

The bill is one of a handful that has been filed in Congress this session.
Durbin’s bill is co-sponsored by Democratic members of the Senate Judiciary
Committee and Bernie Sanders, an independent seeking Trump's job.

"Try as we might, we cannot escape the fact that the death penalty in America
is disproportionately imposed on minorities and poor people,"
Durbin said in a statement. "Supreme Court Justices Harry Blackmun and John
Paul Stevens both declared their opposition to the death penalty by the end of
their judicial careers, recognizing the system to be deeply flawed."

Jennifer Vollen-Katz, CEO of the John Howard Association, said too many people
on death row have been exonerated.

"Our criminal justice system is grossly imperfect and to think that we have
enough certainty of who people are and what happened to think the punishment
should be death is simply outrageous," she said.

Illinois put a moratorium on the death penalty in 2001 and abolished it in
2011.

Gallup polling shows a majority of people support allowing the death penalty,
but that figure has been slowly falling.

(source: Cherokee Tribune & Ledger-News)

****************

PENNSYLVANIA:

‘Eric’s Law’ would give prosecutors a 2nd chance at death penalty

Citing the brutal murder of Correctional Officer Eric Williams, 2 lawmakers on
Monday announced legislation that would give prosecutors a 2nd crack at
securing the death penalty for killers.

Williams, 34, was beaten and stabbed more than 200 times during an ambush at
U.S. Penitentiary at Canaan on Feb. 25, 2013, while preparing to lock inmates
into their cells for a nightly head-count.

His killer, Jessie Con-ui, was already serving a life sentence for a gang
murder and freely admitted responsibility at trial. Nevertheless, at sentencing
a lone holdout on the jury ensured he did not get the death penalty for the
vicious murder, which was caught on tape.

Williams’ family blasted the jury for doing “absolutely nothing” with its
decision, which resulted in a 2nd life sentence for Con-ui, 42.

On Monday, Republican U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey and U.S. Rep. Fred Keller, R-12,
announced "Eric’s Law," which would allow prosecutors to impanel a second jury
for sentencing if the 1st jury fails to reach a unanimous decision.

"Officer Eric Williams was killed by a violent gang member while on-duty,"
Toomey said in a statement. "His murderer’s crime largely went unpunished, even
though 11 out of 12 jurors voted for the death penalty, because he was already
serving a life sentence. Our legislation will fix this flaw in our justice
system and help ensure no family has to see violent criminals avoid justice."

The announcement noted federal law currently does not allow prosecutors to
impanel a 2nd jury if the first becomes deadlocked. Instead, the presiding
judge must impose a sentence other than death.

The proposed legislation, which is modeled after state laws in California and
Arizona, would allow for the 2nd jury, but not require it.

"Justice denied to one is justice denied to all and we cannot let that stand,
and as they say: the punishment must fit the crime," Keller said in the
statement. "When a jury in a federal death penalty case finds a defendant
guilty, but fails to come to a unanimous verdict on the death penalty, there
should be an option to review the penalty phase of the trial to give victims
and their families the best chance at finding the justice they seek."

U.S. Rep. Dan Meuser, R-9, Dallas, is a cosponsor of the legislation, which has
the support of the prison union, the Fraternal Order of Police and the Federal
Law Enforcement Officers Association.

(source: The Citizen's Voice)

******************

Barr Urges Quick Death Penalty for Mass Murder or Killing Police

The Justice Department is seeking legislation to allow quick death sentences
for people who carry out mass murder or kill a law enforcement officer,
Attorney General William Barr said Monday.

"We will be proposing legislation providing that in cases of mass murder or in
cases of murder of a law enforcement officer there will be a strict timetable
for judicial proceedings that will allow the imposition of the death sentence
without undue delay," Barr said in a speech at a law enforcement conference in
New Orleans.

"Punishment must be swift," Barr said adding that he plans to offer the
legislative proposal next month, when Congress returns from its summer break.

The attorney general offered a conservative’s response to the mass shootings
that killed 31 people in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton Ohio, as gun-control
advocates press for a ban on assault rifles and expanded background checks for
gun buyers.

President Donald Trump has said he wants "meaningful background checks" for
firearm purchases but that he’ll ensure that the National Rifle Association’s
views are "fully represented and respected" in discussions with Congress on
legislation.

(source: bloomberg.com)

****************************

The Struggle Continues: Bryan Stevenson Speaks On True Justice And Tradition
---- The veteran attorney, author, and freedom fighter's life's work is
featured in a new HBO documentary, "True Justice: Bryan Stevenson's Fight for
Equality."

When one mentions the name Bryan Stevenson in social and criminal justice
spaces, it is met with reverence and respect.

Stevenson, 59, founder of the Equal Justice Initiative based in Montgomery,
Alabama, has been in the trenches and at the front lines in the fight against
the death penalty. He has argued five cases before the United States Supreme
Court and, through EJI, has won reversals, relief or release from prison for
more than 135 wrongly condemned death-row inmates, people abandoned by society
at-large and left to die in cages.

The veteran attorney, author, and freedom fighter’s life’s work is featured in
a new HBO documentary, True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality. A
film adaption of his book, Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption, will
hit theaters in December 2019, with Michael B. Jordan starring as Stevenson and
Jamie Foxx starring as Walter McMillian, who, in 1987, was sentenced to death
after he was wrongly convicted for the murder of an 18-year-old white girl.

Stevenson took on McMillian’s case in post-conviction, where he showed that the
State’s witnesses had lied on the stand - and that the prosecution had
illegally suppressed evidence. The case was overturned by the Alabama Court of
Criminal Appeals in 1993 and McMillian was released after spending 6 years on
death row for a crime he did not commit.

In an interview with ESSENCE, Stevenson’s voice is filled with the echoes and
expectation of victory, despite the pain he has seen and the horrors he’s
witnessed.

"We, in the African American community, have always known that the criminal
justice system is a threat, that it will take people who are innocent or
wrongly convicted and it will treat people unfairly," Stevenson responds when I
ask him about the awesome responsibility of holding life and death in his hands
against the gravitational pull of injustice. "But we keep fighting."

According to EJI, more than half of the people on death row in this country are
people of color. Of the more than 2700 people currently under a death sentence,
42% are Black, 13% are Latinx, and 42% are white, despite Black people making
up approximately 13% and Latinx people making up approximately 18% of the
population, according to 2018 census data.

Additionally, nearly 80% of murder victims in cases resulting in an execution
have been white, even though nationally only 50% of murder victims are white,
i.e. those who murdered white people were found more likely to be sentenced to
death than those who murdered Black people, according to DeathPenaltyInfo.org.

"It’s been really difficult to get the rest of society to acknowledge the
racial disparities and inhumanity within the criminal justice system,”
Stevenson continued. "But I’ve been laboring at this for a really long time,
and I feel hopeful about this moment, despite the challenges that we face."

This moment is, indeed, rife with both cruelty and resistance. As ESSENCE
previously reported, Attorney General William Barr announced in July that the
federal government will be resuming capital punishment after 16 years. One day
later, Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.) announced that she would be introducing a
bill that would "prohibit the imposition of the death penalty for any violation
of Federal law, and for other purposes."

Pressley announced the bill on social media, tweeting, "The same #racist
rhetoric coming from the occupant of the @WhiteHouse, who called for the
execution of the #Exonerated5, is what led to this racist, vile policy. It was
wrong then and it’s wrong now.

"The cruelty is the point - this is by design."

For Stevenson, this nation’s failed promise of "with liberty and justice for
all" is what compelled him to enter the legal field. "I became a lawyer because
I really did want to have the skills and abilities to get behind the
limitations of democracy," he said with conviction. "I grew up in a community
where the Black kids had to go to the ‘colored’ school and if you left it up to
people voting whether or not to end racial segregation in schools, because
white people were the majority, that would have never happened.

"It took the rule of law and the ability to go into a courtroom and make things
change," Stevenson continued. "And that’s what motivated me. I always want to
use that power to help people who are disfavored and disadvantaged, to help
people like the people I grew up with."

>From George Stinney Jr. To Troy Davis

George Stinney Jr., the youngest person executed in the U.S. in the 20th
century, was only 14-years old and weighed 95 pounds when he was accused of
murdering two white girls with a railroad spike in 1944. His trial lasted for
less than 3 hours and an all-white male jury deliberated for 10 minutes before
returning a guilty verdict. Though a South Carolina judge exonerated young
George in 2014, ruling that there had been "fundamental, Constitutional
violations of due process," the evilness of George Stinney Jr.’s
state-sanctioned execution is haunting. His photo appears in the early moments
of True Justice.

"The spectacle of putting a little boy on top of Bibles so his head would be
tall enough for the electrodes to reach, then to kill him and go home like
you’ve done something right or just, and not be overwhelmed by that illustrates
the perversity of what this system can do," Stevenson says quietly.

Though Troy Davis, at the age of 42, was much older than George Stinney Jr.,
when the state of Georgia killed him by lethal injection in 2011 for allegedly
murdering a police officer, the spectacles of their executions further expose
the ugliness this nation tries to conceal with flag-waving and anthem-singing.
Davis was not proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Frantic efforts to save
his life reached all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court in the 11th hour, but to
no avail.

"Continue to fight this fight", Davis said to his loved ones gathered to watch
him die. He also addressed his executioners. "For those about to take my life,
may God have mercy on all of your souls."

For Stevenson, it is important not to view these cases in a vacuum - and
equally important to be clear on one thing.

"We don’t have to execute people in this country to keep the public safe,"
Stevenson said. "Like with Troy Davis, if there’s a question about guilt, then
why execute the person? Why? There is a parallel between those 2 cases that I
think is important for people to recognize."

With Justice For All

Despite the miscarriages of justice Stevenson has witnessed and experienced
throughout his career, he still believes in equal justice under the law. This
struck me as the familiar well-worn, tattered, beautiful Black southern faith
that got our elders and ancestors through, mixed in with that same steely
determination that says if it’s not so, yet, then it will be when we’re done.

And while that is certainly admirable, there was a time when the Deacons for
Defense and Justice walked the walk of armed resistance during the same decade
that Malcolm X taught that there had never been a revolution without bloodshed.
And as Princeton Professor Eddie Glaude recently made plain, we’re living and
loving and fighting through a cold Civil War right now.

So, does Stevenson believe - with all that he’s seen - that freedom and justice
for all can truly be found inside of a courtroom and through non-violent
protests? Will revolution truly come from inside of the system - a system that
is not broken, but functioning exactly as intended? As James Baldwin once
asked, "How much time [does this nation] want for [its] progress?"

"Violence is not just something that you do to other people; in fact, it does
something to you, as well," Stevenson responds with the conviction of a man who
has thought this through many times. "And I’m not willing to give away my
decency and my humanity and my capacity to love - which is what my mother and
my grandmother gave to me, and her mother and our enslaved ancestors gave to
them."

"The people who shaped me are the people like my grandmother and my mother.
These women had such strength and wisdom and insight and tenacity - and they
were courageous when other people were quiet. Johnnie Carr and Jo Ann Robinson
and Claudette Colvin and all of these women who were the real architects of the
Montgomery Bus Boycott and made the Civil Rights Movement succeed. We have to
honor and recognize them."

Stevenson then recalls a conversation with freedom fighter and civil rights
leader Rosa Parks, during which she was very specific in telling him to be
brave - not fearless, but brave - as he continued his fights for justice.

"I think [Parks] knew that it would be irrational to be fearless," he tells
ESSENCE. "I’ve been in situations that I’ve been very worried about how we’re
going to be victorious, but I think of our people, our history. The enslaved
people who escaped, who took the Underground Railroad.

"Then I think about the people who didn’t escape, who still found ways to love
their children and create joy, even if that was tenuous and they weren’t sure
if they could hold on to it," Stevenson continued. "I think about the Black
people who fled the American south for the north and west in response the
violence of lynching and terror. Then think about the Black people who stayed
despite that threat and terror."

For Stevenson, that ancestral resilience that has been passed down through
generations of Black people not only gives him strength to fight for freedom
even on the days that all seems lost, it also reminds him of his responsibility
to pass the tradition on.

"That’s the legacy of our community, this capacity to stand up when other
people say sit down, to speak when other people say be quite," he says with
palpable resolve. "That has to be something that I hold on to."

(source: essence.com)