Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun Oct 28 09:43:25 CDT 2018

October 28

MALAYSIA:

Yoursay: Has death penalty served as effective deterrent for drug trafficking?

Prabu's final message before execution: Stay away from drugs

Lodestar: Malaysia and Singapore should abolish the death penalty for drug
offences. Why is this sort of crime so terrible that it justifies the judicial
killing of even a young and foolish drug mule?

There is no death sentence even for 1MDB-scale alleged theft of billions, which
arguably do far more harm to the nation. Victims of mega corruption include the
whole nation and they don't have a choice, while drug users willingly tango
with drug pushers.

The death penalty has been in place in both countries for decades but the
latest hanging shows that it has been unsuccessful as a deterrent.

While there should be penalties for drug offences, the death sentence is wholly
inappropriate and it's generally drug users and drug mules who get caught in
the net, rather than drug kingpins.

When you think about it, legal drugs like tobacco and alcohol do more damage to
society than illicit drugs. Even those who make poisonous brews that kill
dozens are not subject to the death penalty, so why the disproportionate fear
of opioids?

The law in Singapore is so merciless that there is almost zero chance of
clemency, however justified the case and whatever the circumstances. What a
shameful lack of humanity.

Vote BN Out: The question of whether to abolish the death sentence or not has
seen countless debates from both sides. Each side has their points of merit.

The final issue is, has the death sentence been shown to be an effective
deterrent for drug trafficking cases? The jury is still out on that one.

Vijay47: Many of us might say, "The law must take its course. You get what you
deserve, you reap what you sow."

True, we cannot deny that truth, especially when drugs are such a terrible
monster with the potential to destroy lives and souls and families.

Yet, when a person is put to death we cannot help but feel sorry for him and
those he leaves behind.

Rest in peace, Prabu Pathmanathan.

Why It Happens: If a government cannot stop the drug problems in spite of
putting young people to death, then the leaders cannot call themselves leaders.

They should just resign for putting people in the gallows. Leaders who do great
sins get off scot-free.

Shame on this world.

Jackay Way: I personally think that the death penalty should be abolished for
drug-dealing cases. A life sentence will suffice.

The death sentence should only be carried out for real heinous crimes. Rest in
peace, Prabu.

Anonymous_1f857937: Yes, I think the death sentence was completely unnecessary;
if they really believed in second chances, they would have at least entertained
the idea of clemency.

Prabu’s message would have been more impactful being delivered in person.

But that's Singapore for you, people are kept in line not by education and
civic consciousness, but through fear of reprimand and punishment. They used
Prabu as an example.

Sunshine: It’s very sad that a pleasant-looking young man’s life has come to
this tragic end. The photos seem to indicate that Prabu has long atoned for his
mistake. That should have meant something.

Anonymous_e3e72c1b: An 'eye for an eye' type of justice just begets more
violence. No civilised country should end a human life. I'm so glad Malaysia is
showing the way on this issue.

Anonymous_c4bcf78b: Finally, we see the face behind the name. A respectful
individual in his final moments, regardless, leaving a positive message for
others. May you rest in peace and your family find solace.

Anonymous 2404021457358192: May the haunting photo of Prabu sneak into the
minds of those responsible for his hanging. Stop this archaic punishment.

Avis: Only God has the right to take away a life. Not the police or the courts.

'Unlawful' of S'pore to hang Prabu - lawyer

Anonymous_1537180923: Firstly, I personally don't support the death penalty.
But a law will remain a law until it's changed by its legislature. Whoever
breaks the law should be punished, no matter how absurd or how crazy the law
is.

Prabu committed a crime in a country where the death penalty is still in force.
We can feel sad about the execution, but we can't blame Singapore for executing
him for whatever reason.

Secondly, Prabu knew about the death penalty in Singapore beforehand (read up
the judgment of the Singapore High Court). He gambled with his life and lost.

I respect Prabu for his last wish to urge people not to be involved with drugs.
I hope that he will rest in peace.

Anonymous_86c99cb9: It's very easy for people to condemn Singapore for the
hanging of drug traffickers.

Wait until one day your loved ones are involved in drugs and you go through the
suffering and experiences, then you will agree.

I support the Singaporean decision to hang all drug traffickers. My son is an
addict and we suffer so much pain.

Only if your loved one is a drug addict would you understand the pain and
suffering.

Just Sharing: If it was proven that he was guilty, then there is nothing
unlawful or brutal about it.

Everyone who enters Singapore knows that drug trafficking is an offence which
carries the death penalty.

If someone is willing to take the risk, then the price must be paid.

Vent: How does the taking of a life by the state make it less reprehensible
than a murder committed by a criminal?

Those who have sanctimoniously defended Singapore's decision to execute an
alleged drug mule or pusher on the grounds of “protecting” the nation should
ask themselves – who benefits from this merciless act? No one!

And no one has the right to take another life – at least that of another human
being unless one believes in a God of wrath that demands an eye for an eye and
a tooth for a tooth and a life for a life. But can such a God be simultaneously
merciful and compassionate as believers would want us to believe?

So, let's not get too riled up about hudud. It's the same old God with the same
old laws of vengeance.

Meanwhile, Singapore continues to trade and support the Burmese military junta,
harbours money launderers (including our very own) and provides first-class
medical treatment to the dictator Robert Mugabe.

Yet a man who could have been punished severely and appropriately and helped to
rehabilitate others has been resolutely murdered.

(source: malaysiakini.com)

PAKISTAN:

Asia Bibi's Life in Extreme Danger Even If Released From Death Row: 'They'd
Feel Proud of Killing Her'----European Parliament President Admits Asia Bibi on
Death Row Because She's Christian

Christian mother-of-five Asia Bibi's life is in imminent danger even if she is
released from death row, a religious freedom advocate has warned.

Shaheryar Gill, senior litigation counsel of the American Center for Law and
Justice, told Baptist Press that the only reason Pakistan's Supreme Court
hasn't yet announced its decision on her fate is due to security concerns.

"Generally the Supreme Court announces decisions the same day. In politically
high-profile cases, or in these type security cases, these are the only times
when the court doesn't announce," Gill noted.

"And they don't even take that long actually, but this time it seems like
they're taking a little bit longer," he added.

"If she's acquitted she is obviously going to need a lot of security ...,
security provided by the government," Gill continued. "And she cannot be
released openly. If she is, there's no doubt, no question about it, that her
life will be in jeopardy. They feel proud of killing somebody like this."

Bibi has been on death row since 2010 after being found guilty of blasphemy
against the Islamic faith, stemming from an incident with field workers in 2009
who claimed that she insulted their religious sensitivities.

Bibi has denied the charge, but despite international pressure and the
campaigns of human rights groups, she has remained in prison, waiting for the
results of her appeal against the death sentence.

European Parliament President Antonio Tajani was the latest high-profile figure
to speak on her behalf on Wednesday, stating before chamber members:

"I would like to highlight the case of Asia Bibi, a woman belonging to a
Christian minority in Pakistan, who risks being hanged. Asia Bibi has unleashed
the fury of some women over a drinking cup. According to them, contact with a
Christian made the water impure," he said, referring to the 2009 incident in
question.

"After being attacked and denounced for blasphemy, Asia Bibi now risks being
hanged," he added.

"I call on the Pakistani authorities to guarantee that she receives a fair
trial, and any form of discrimination and prejudice are avoided."

Tajani had earlier said at a news conference: "We need to save Asia Bibi. She
is in prison only because she is Christian. This is a big mistake, it is
against human rights. We want to defend human rights everywhere."

Earlier in October, AFP reported that Muslim hardliners have threatened
"horrible" death for Pakistan's Supreme Court justices if it's revealed that
they have voted to release the Christian mother.

Radicals, arguing that the blasphemy laws must be upheld, have vowed to carry
out nationwide protests if she is set free, threatening to paralyze the
country.

(source: christianpost.com)

BANGLADESH:

Narcotics Control Bill passed with death penalty for dealing yaba<P>

The Narcotics Control Bill 2018 has been passed in parliament with a provision
of death sentence or life-term imprisonment as punishment for producing,
trading, and using 200 grams or more of yaba, or more than 25 grams of heroin
and cocaine.

Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal tabled the bill and it was passed by voice
vote on Saturday, reports UNB.

According to the bill, the punishment for transporting, trading, storing,
producing, processing, applying and using 200 grams of yaba or its principal
ingredient amphetamine, would be the death penalty or life-term imprisonment.

In case of less than 200 grams of yaba, the punishment would be a minimum of 1
year in jail and a maximum of 5 years in prison alongside a fine.

Yaba and amphetamines were included in the list of Category A narcotics in the
proposed law, even though it is not in the existing Narcotics Control Act of
1990.

The stern punishments were proposed in the new law as yaba has spread across
Bangladesh on a massive scale in recent times, government officials said
earlier.

The punishment for transporting, trading, storing, producing, processing,
applying and using more than 25 grams of narcotics originating from heroin,
cocaine, and coca, would be the death penalty or life-term imprisonment, while
for less than 25 grams Category A narcotics the punishment would be a minimum
of 2 years in prison, and a maximum of 10 years in jail.

According to the bill, the maximum punishment for any individual or
organization financing or patronizing drug dealing would be the death penalty
too.

If any individual or organization finances, instigates or patronizes such
crimes, they would face similar punishment as per the law.

In addition, yaba, shisha, khat, and dope tests were also incorporated in the
draft bill as the existing Narcotics Control Act does not address drug testing.

The provision of fines was also kept for all the offences.

The existing act was creating serious legal complications as it had no
provision to bring drug traders, patrons, and drug lords, into the legal net.

Officials at the Department of Narcotics Control (DNC) and other law
enforcement agencies earlier said there were some loopholes in the existing
law, and drug dealers were using them to easily secure bail soon after arrest,
and getting away.

On October 8, the Cabinet approved the bill in principle. Later, it was placed
in parliament and sent to the concerned parliamentary standing committee on
October 22 for further vetting.

The new draft of the 28-year-old law has been adjusted in line with other
international anti-narcotics laws.

In May this year, the government launched a nationwide anti-narcotics drive
that saw arrests of thousands of suspected drug barons and dealers, and deaths
of hundreds in alleged gunfights between criminals and law enforcement
officials during raids.

(source: Dhaka Tribune)