Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Oct 1 07:48:36 CDT 2018

Oct. 1

MALAYSIA:

Lens on death penalty

Agilandewari Mainthan was just 3 years old when she was last held by her
father.

Her father, Mainthan, has spent the last 14 years on death row after being
convicted of murder, a murder he claims he did not commit. Multiple
discrepancies abound in the case, yet, Mainthan remains behind bars.

The impact and effect of the death penalty in Malaysia has long been debated,
hence, when lawyers Seira Sacha Abu Bakar and Sherrie Razak heard about
Mainthan's case from their friend, human rights lawyer Amer Hamzah Arshad who
represented him for his 2nd review application at the Federal Court, they knew
straight away that they have to highlight his story in a documentary.

"We wanted to let people know about the severity of the death penalty and the
impact it brings to individuals, that is why we created our story of Menunggu
Masa, which means waiting for time," says Sherrie, who with her long-time
friend Seira Sacha form the documentary filmmaking duo S-Ploited.

Since they won the Freedom Film Festival grant in 2009 to make their
documentary For No Silver Lining: The Perak Crisis on the state's
constitutional crisis after the 2008 general election, S-Ploited have been
bringing a legal insight to the local social documentary filmmaking scene with
their films, from Death in Dilemma: The Final Curtain to Ombak Perubahan.

Menunggu Masa is scheduled for screening this Saturday at this year's Freedom
Film Festival, which is back from now until Oct 6 with another exciting lineup
of thought-provoking social and human rights documentaries.

Mainthan's complicated legal case is not only close to the hearts of the 2 as
lawyers, but also as human rights advocates.

"We feel if we do not tell Mainthan's story and what the family is going
through, no one will know about it," says Sherrie.

"Many will not understand how the justice system works and how it will affect
not just the person facing the death sentence, but also those around him."

There are various questions raised in Mainthan's case, they highlight.

"One is who is this victim? The identity of the victim was raised at the 1st
review application made by Mainthan and it was dismissed. Subsequently, a
person who claimed that he was the only victim turned up in late 2016, but the
new evidence was also dismissed by the courts. A total of 19 different judges
have heard Mainthan's case since 2004."

The case has taken a toll on the family.

"When Mainthan was arrested, his eldest son was 4 years old and the youngest
child was 1 year old. That was 14 years ago.

"Their children grew up getting to know their father through prison visits.
Despite growing up without having their father physically around, they still
have high respect, love and care for their father. They are still hoping for
their father to be released and to come home to them," they say.

S-Ploited hope that by watching Menunggu Masa, the audience would understand
the death penalty issue.

"We have various NGOs and civil societies pushing for the abolishment of the
death penalty but we still have a long way to go."

On why they chose documentary filmmaking as another platform to fight for
justice and human rights, S-Ploited say, "Even as lawyers, we feel that we
should exhaust all means and methods for advocacy to fight for justice and
human rights.

"The courtroom battle is not mutually exclusive but when it comes for example
for legislative amendments, the public and the parliamentarians play a huge
role. In this case it is also about highlighting a case which exhausted all
court levels.

"Mainthan’s family has also submitted a letter to the the pardon's board to
obtain a clemency. At this stage they are doing all they can with the hope that
they are able to get Mainthan home. Families of a death penalty inmate are
usually informed few days before the execution. As of June this year, it was
reported that 1,267 people are waiting for execution in prison."

Menunggu Masa will be followed by a Freedom Talk titled "Reforms under the new
Government: Where are we now?" featuring a panel of experts who will not only
look at provisions under the Penal Code which provide for the Death Penalty but
also other opressive laws such as SOSMA, the Sedition Act and the Prevention of
Crime Act, which "have no place in a country which portrays itself as a
rights-conscious democracy".

Those interested in the death penalty issue can also watch Countdown on
Tuesday, which is a poetic documentary that tells the story of a family with
their loved one currently on death row in Singapore.

The FreedomFilmFest2018 is themed "Mend The Gap" and aims at drawing attention
to how the gaps between the have and have nots, and the powerful and the
powerless, are getting deeper and wider despite progress in science, technology
and democracy.

Along with Menunggu Masa, various political films will also be screened,
including Melawan Arus, which revisits the momentous May 9 political tsunami
that swept away the 61-year rule of the Barisan Nasional government in
Malaysia.

For more information on FreedomFilmFest2018 - please go to:
https://freedomfilm.my

(source: thestar.com.my)

UGANDA:

Rights activists reecho calls for the abolition of the death penalty

The Foundation for Human Rights Initiative (FHRI) has renewed calls for the
abolition of the death penalty.

This comes ahead of the 16th world day against the death penalty to be
commemorated on 10th October.

Speaking to kfm the foundation's executive director Dr Livingstone Ssewanyana
notes that whereas the process has taken long, it is not too late for
government to outlaw this barbaric practice.

He notes that as part of activities ahead of the day, the foundation in
partnership with the European Union and Embassy of France to Uganda will
undertake various activities including a solidarity visit to those condemned to
death at Luzira prison on 4th October 2018 with heads of missions of European
countries, and a commemoration event on 10th October.

The 16th World Day against the Death Penalty will be running under the theme,
"Living conditions on death row."

(source: kfm.co.ug)