[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----N.H., IND., TENN., ILL., CALIF., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun May 27 08:47:52 CDT 2018

May 27

NEW HAMPSHIRE:

The cost of execution

An open letter to Gov. Sununu: When you think about whether or not to keep the
death penalty option in New Hampshire, please remember that Texas executes many
prisoners. And the existence of the death penalty in Texas did not seem to
deter the shooter in the recent killings at the school in Texas.

So, if the death penalty does not work as a deterrent, why do you want to go
the expensive route of the death penalty? Don't you want to save New Hampshire
money?

ROBERT B. WILLIAMS Jr.

Chichester

(source: Letter to the Editor, Concord Monitor)

INDIANA:

Can Indiana keep a secret about its executions?

In a court filing earlier this month, the state of Indiana continued to argue
for secrecy in the details of the executions it carries out.

It's not surprising, given the white-hot heat surrounding the issue of the
death penalty.

But it's also not right.

As we've said in previous comments, the public has a right to information about
how the state is executing people. Such life and death decisions shouldn't be
made in the dark. The issue has nothing to do with your position on the death
penalty - and everything to do with government accountability and transparency.

The state of Indiana sees it differently. Last year, Republican lawmakers went
so far as to quietly - stealthily - insert a last-minute provision into the
budget bill authorizing the state to conceal details of the purchase of new
lethal injection drugs. The measure, which bars the release of information that
could reveal the identity of a manufacturer or supplier, wasn't debated in
committee and became public when the budget was released on the last day of the
session.

Both House Speaker Brian Bosma and the Indiana Department of Correction have
said that anything less than anonymity would prevent companies from selling
lethal drugs for executions.

A lawsuit challenging the state's secrecy sprang from a 4-year-old public
records requests filed after the DOC refused to release information regarding
the drugs used in executions and any correspondence related to execution
procedure. Katherine Toomey, the Washington, D.C., attorney who filed the
lawsuit, won a non-binding decision by the Public Access Counselor and summary
judgment in the Circuit Court in 2016. Indiana appealed and lost. It asked the
Supreme Court to hear the case and was denied.

After the secrecy law - which is, conveniently, retroactive - was passed,
attorneys for the state went back to the judge, asking her to change her
previous summary judgment.

An attorney for Toomey says the secrecy law snuck into last year's budget bill
was a maneuver aimed squarely at thwarting Toomey's lawsuit. He argued that the
state can't enact a statute aimed directly at his client.

The state doubled down on secrecy in an issue raised in the case that's now
before the Court of Appeals: whether sealed evidence in the lethal injection
case, obtained during discovery, should be made public. The state argued that
it should not and said such material is "deliberative" and an exception to the
public records law.

Earlier, the state had filed a motion to cancel the public hearing; the judge
denied the request. A total of 5 people were in the audience for the May 15
hearing.

That request, and Indiana's ongoing efforts to conceal its decisions and
actions, ignore the state's responsibility to be accountable to Hoosiers about
the executions it carries out in their name.

(source: Editorial, South Bend Tribune)

TENNESSEE:

Death row inmates in Nashville paint scenes of Jesus' crucifixion. Here's why.

Jesus is laying on the cross in the painting, his arms splayed wide as one of
his executioners hammers a nail into his hand.

The artists who created it - selecting the caramel color of Christ's skin and
the silver of the nail drawing the red pool of blood on his palm - are inmates
on death row who, like Jesus, are facing their own state-sanctioned executions.

Those who visit with the prisoners in Unit 2 at Riverbend Maximum Security
Institution in Nashville say the new Stations of the Cross artwork helps show
the humanity of men often defined solely by their crimes.

Derrick Quintero, sentenced to death in 1991 for first degree murder, is one of
the artists who collaborated on the new piece that depicts the biblical account
of Jesus' trial, crucifixion and resurrection.

He explained, in a statement accompanying the artwork, why he and fellow
prisoners created the piece as well as the open and honest dialogue that it
inspired.

"This piece of art is a commentary on the continuing battle for our collective
moral world view," Quintero said. "I asked my fellow community members to help
me create this project to begin a conversation about what justice looks like."

It took more than two months to complete their piece. During the process, the
religious and nonreligious artists talked about their own understandings of
Jesus' death and appearance and welcomed feedback from other prisoners,
correctional officers and volunteers.

Artwork travels from church to church

While they remain behind bars, the artwork, painted on 2 long scrolls, now is
traveling to churches and other religious institutions in Middle Tennessee that
want to display it.

"I think the hope is that the people who believe that death row is populated by
unsaveable monsters see in this the work of human hands and people with
faith."----Deacon W. James Booth

Deacon W. James Booth, of Holy Family Catholic Church in Brentwood, is helping
facilitate the exhibition of the piece. He anticipates that it will eventually
be put on permanent display, potentially at Holy Family.

He visits death row nearly every Saturday morning to help with a Catholic
infused, but ecumenical service and study group. The weekly meeting is attended
by Quintero, who was baptized Catholic in prison, and half dozen or so other
inmates.

"I think the hope is that the people who believe that death row is populated by
unsaveable monsters see in this the work of human hands and people with faith,"
Booth said. "Many of them have done very bad, terrible things, but our faith
teaches us that forgiveness and redemption are always possibilities."

Those who see the artwork can take away what they will from it, but it is not
meant to be a political statement or push policy, Booth said. The hope is that
it can serve as a bridge of faith between the inmates and the outside world, he
said.

State renews push to execute inmates

But the artwork is circulating at time when the state is renewing its push to
execute inmates on death row. The state Supreme Court has set a handful of new
execution dates for later this year, but legal debates on how inmates can be
put to death are ongoing and not all efforts to delay some executions have been
exhausted.

In Tennessee, 61 people, including one woman, are currently on death row. The
last execution happened in 2009.

Capital punishment remains a controversial issue. 55 % of U.S adults support it
for those convicted of murder, according to an October 2017 Gallup report.
While still a majority, that is the lowest support in 45 years, Gallup said.

The Catholic church opposes the death penalty, but that does not mean the
people who fill the pews all agree, said Booth, who does not support capital
punishment.

But he avoids talking policy when he helps facilitate a showing of the Stations
of the Cross piece, like he did at his own church. Instead, he talks about the
men who created the artwork and asks those viewing it to reflect on the
crucifixion of their savior Jesus.

Fostering conversation inside and out

"In my mind, it can be transformative in the way that a visit to death row can
be," Booth said. "Taking those scrolls out, in a way does some of that work
without some of those individuals having to leave the comfort of their
neighborhoods and parishes."

The piece stirred healthy conversations about Jesus and justice behind bars,
too. In his statement, Quintero said he did not know if any of his fellow
prisoners changed their opinions as a result of it. But their open and honest
dialogue is in keeping with the community model the prisoners have created on
death row.

"We tackle all the positive and destructive social issues that were a part of
our lives," said Quintero, who was convicted of the 1988 slayings of an elderly
Stewart County couple that occurred during his escape from a Kentucky prison.

"How we got to today, finding healing, and making better overall decisions is
critical to the security of the prison system and society at large."

They do so with the blessing and cooperation of corrections officials, Quintero
said.

Neysa Taylor, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Correction, echoed that
idea in her statement on art programs behind bars.

"The Tennessee Department of Correction embraces therapeutic programs that
allow offenders to both process and work through their thoughts on their crime
and how they can change their lives for the better," Taylor said.

'It's a powerful piece'

The prisoners' artwork impressed Alvaro Manrique Barrenechea. On May 20, the
unfurled scrolls were laid out before him in a room at Christ Church Cathedral,
an Episcopal church in downtown Nashville.

"It's a powerful piece," he said.

A handful of people, including his wife, were standing over them that Sunday
morning, taking in the details and reading Quintero's statement. It was
Manrique Barrenchea's 1st time seeing the piece. Although, he had heard about
it from his friend and death row inmate Billy Ray Irick, who helped paint the
landscape in the scenes.

Irick was convicted of the 1985 rape and murder of a 7-year-old girl. In
January, the state Supreme Court set his execution date for Aug. 9.

Manrique Barrenchea, a foreign-trained attorney preparing for law school in the
states, started visiting Irick in prison about a year ago. Before that, meeting
with prisoners on death row had not been on his radar.

He does not think many people on the outside give much thought, if any to the
men in Riverbend. He hopes the artwork might change that.

"We all know that they have a past that we can't erase," Manrique Barrenchea
said. "I think it's a great way of showing that there is more in there than
just the past or the previous story."

(source: The Tennessean)

ILLINOIS:

Conservative group slams effort to reinstate death penalty in Illinois

A national organization is criticizing Gov. Bruce Rauner's proposal to
reinstate the death penalty for certain crimes in Illinois.

Heather Beaudoin is the coordinator of Conservatives Concerned About the Death
Penalty, a network of political and social conservatives who question the
alignment of capital punishment with conservative principles and values. She
said arguments in favor of the death penalty often don't withstand scrutiny.

"The idea of the death penalty being a deterrent ... we've just not seen it to
be true," Beaudoin said. "These situations are crimes of passion, often, where
the person perpetrating the crime is not thinking about consequences. And I get
sort of heated when I hear folks say, 'We have to have the death penalty for
victim's family members,' because I've personally spoken with so many of them
who say it was the opposite of helpful."

Beaudoin said the governor's plan to limit the punishment to specific cases
doesn't make the idea any better.

"What that does is create a class of victims," Beaudoin said. "It's very
difficult when you're talking to a mother who has lost a child to homicide and
you're telling her your loved one's murder is not quite heinous enough. We've
seen it's problematic when we pick-and-choose which are the most heinous crimes
that receive a death sentence."

Rauner's proposal would allow the death penalty as potential punishment for
mass killers and those who slay police officers.

There are at least 3 plans to reinstate the death penalty including Rauner's,
which he added in an amendatory veto to legislation that originally sought to
lengthen the waiting period for certain firearms from 1 day to 3 days.

State Rep. Jim Durkin, R-Western Springs, introduced a standalone bill to
reinstate the death penalty late Thursday. Durkin also backed a slightly
different death penalty bill introduced Thursday by state Rep. Jerry Costello,
D-Smithton. Costello's bill included both police and firefighters and had
bipartisan support.

All 3 proposals would set a higher standard of guilt - "beyond all doubt"
rather than "beyond reasonable doubt" - for capital crimes.

"That's a really impossible standard," Beaudoin said. "You can't have a system
that doesn't make mistakes because it's run by human beings. Even when there is
DNA evidence available, that evidence is handled by human beings. So we've seen
cases where a technician has made a mistake and we've also seen cases where
there's been major fraud."

Some have argued Rauner's death penalty proposal is a political move designed
to shore up support among conservative voters in an election year. Beaudoin
said it might not work out that way.

"This is an old-school tactic - using the death penalty as a political
football," Beaudoin said. "We're seeing that it just doesn't work. And it
doesn't work because there are far more conservatives that are against the
death penalty now than ever before."

Rauner's package of public safety proposals was detailed in the governor's
amendatory veto of a gun control bill. In addition to bringing back the death
penalty, Rauner proposed putting a 72-hour waiting period in place for all
firearm purchases, banning bump stocks and trigger cranks, authorizing
restraining orders to disarm dangerous people, and requiring judges and
prosecutors to explain why charges are reduced in plea agreements for violent
offenders in gun cases.

Rauner laid out his reasons for the death penalty in a veto message to the
House of Representatives.

"Anyone who deliberately kills a law enforcement officer or is a mass murderer
deserves the death penalty," the message said. "There are legitimate reasons
for concern about the death penalty, reasons that I take seriously. Chief among
those concerns is the alarming number of people who have been convicted by
juries 'beyond a reasonable doubt' and sentenced to death, but were later
exonerated based on DNA or other evidence, demonstrating that the jury
convicted the wrong person. Consequently, the only morally justifiable standard
of proof in a death penalty case is 'beyond all doubt.' This standard would
apply not only at trial but also on appeal."

The death penalty has not been carried out in Illinois since 1999, when Andrew
Kokoraleis was killed by lethal injection for the murder of Lorraine Ann
Borkoski. In 2000, then-Gov. George Ryan declared a moratorium on executions in
Illinois. 11 years later, then-Gov. Pat Quinn signed a bill abolishing the
death penalty. 19 states have abolished the death penalty for all crimes. 13
others have an official moratorium on the practice, or have not carried out an
execution in more than a decade.

"I don't see that there's a way for us to have a system that's foolproof,"
Beaudoin said. "Wrongful convictions will absolutely happen and innocent people
will be convicted and sentenced to death. That's a dream world to think we have
a system that functions perfectly."

(source: Illinois News Network)

**************

Prosecutors question quick return to death penalty

The organization that represents top state prosecutors in Illinois' 102
counties is expressing caution about any quick moves to reinstate the death
penalty in Illinois.

While the death penalty hasn't been carried out in Illinois since 1999 and was
abolished by the General Assembly in 2011, Gov. Bruce Rauner injected a
reinstatement of the penalty in specific cases - multiple murder or murder of a
police officer - via an amendatory veto on May 14, less than 3 weeks before
Thursday's scheduled end of the legislative session. And, Rauner said, because
of problems with sentencing innocent people to death in Illinois in the past,
he would call for the penalty only in cases where convictions were "beyond all
doubt."

For the several changes the governor inserted into the bill to become law, both
houses of the legislature would have to accept his rewrite.

The "beyond all doubt" standard was one of the problems mentioned in a letter
on the governor's rewrite from Sangamon County State's Attorney John Milhiser
penned in his role as president of the Illinois State's Attorneys Association.
He started a 1-year stint in that post in December.

Republican Milhiser also happens to be on the short list of people that
Illinois members of Congress have recommended to President Donald Trump to be
the next U.S. attorney for the central district of Illinois. The president has
not nominated a permanent federal prosecutor for the 46-county district, and
John Childress is serving as interim U.S attorney.

The 3-page letter from Milhiser noted that the statement grew from a meeting of
the statewide group of state's attorneys in response to Rauner's amendatory
veto of House Bill 4618 - which originally extended a 72-hour waiting period to
purchase of "assault" weapons.

"Reinstating the death penalty for a narrow category of violent criminals is a
matter of significant public interest," states the letter, which was presented
to the House's judiciary committee that handles criminal law. "The proposed
standard of beyond all doubt, however, is unprecedented and untested in
American jurisprudence. For more than 240 years the burden of proof in criminal
cases has been beyond a reasonable doubt. It must be ensured that no innocent
person is executed. However, changing the burden of proof to a 'beyond all
doubt' standard is complex and involves constitutional and legal concerns that
cannot be evaluated in the brief time thus far allotted."

The letter noted that there is "no consensus of opinion' on the death penalty
among the state's attorneys, but the group recognizes the gravity of the issue.

"Regardless of where our individual members stand on death penalty
reinstatement, any new legislative scheme arguably comes with pitfalls and must
be properly and thoughtfully weighed," the letter adds. "Any attempt to
simplify this process fails to acknowledge the significance of such an
important and grave act."

Rachel Bold, spokeswoman for Rauner, responded to the letter in part by noting
that lawmakers introduced 2 new bills, House Bill 5886 and House Bill 5891, in
recent days to reinstate the death penalty along the lines called for by the
governor. One of those bills would also include the penalty for murder of a
firefighter.

"As we've seen this week, there is growing, bipartisan support for a 'beyond
all doubt' death penalty for the most serious offenders - mass murderers and
cop killers," Bold said. "This isn't something that has been proposed lightly.
The standard is aimed only at those who clearly deserve the death penalty in
cases where there is no room for any doubt about innocence or guilt."

Another point of contention between the governor's amendatory veto and the
statewide association of prosecutors is in the governor's call, in his rewrite,
that if a plea agreement is entered into with someone originally charged with a
firearms offense, prosecutors and judges would both have to produce written
statements, available to the public, on reasons for that plea agreement.

"The vast majority of cases are resolved through a plea of guilty," the
Milhiser letter stated, adding that 95 % of cases nationwide end that way.

"Plea agreements benefit the victim, the defendant and the community," the
letter said. "Plea agreements conserve public resources and provide certainty
for victims and their family members."

"Imposing a duty to disclose reasons for a plea agreement, however, will
interfere with the resolution of criminal cases and is not in the interest of
justice," the letter states. "Finally, imposing an obligation of disclosure on
the judicial branch of government raises significant constitutional and
separation of powers issues, and for these reasons we have serious concerns
with this provision."

Rauner spokeswoman Bold, defending the provision about pleas, said: "Gun crime
charging and sentencing accountability is entirely about transparency. Victims,
their families, and the public deserve to know why serious gun offense charges
are reduced to lesser offenses in plea agreements, especially when those
agreements result in the release of repeat gun offenders. If violent offenders
are going to be allowed back on our streets, we deserve to know why."

(source: Opinion, Bernard Schoenburg; The State Journal-Register)

CALIFORNIA:

Triple Homicide Suspect Formally Charged With Killing Leimert Park Family

The houseguest who is a suspect in a triple homicide in Leimert Park was
formally charged with the crime Friday.

The DA announced Nancy Amelia Jackson, 55, could face the death penalty in the
triple murder of disabled man Phillip White and his elderly parents.

Jackson's arraignment was postponed but police still held a news conference to
talk about a possible motive and the charges Jackson faces.

A family living through triple heartbreak stood beside police Friday. And they
want the public to remember 65-year-old Phillip White, his 83-year-old mom,
Orsie Carter and her husband, 79-year-old William Carter. His age has also been
given as 83.

"They were beautiful, loving, gracious generous people," said one family
member.

Police say Jackson had been down on her luck when White took her in, but she
was stealing and using White. Police also believe she wanted to stay in the
home at all costs.

And when White's mother intervened police believe Jackson shot all 3 of them in
White's Leimert Park home.

Their bodies were found by family members on Tuesday. They believe the 3 were
murdered on Monday.

Of Jackson, police believe she is literally 2-faced.

"That smile is nothing but deceiving," said Capt. Peter Whittingham of the
LAPD. "What I saw is pure evil in that individual and that is what she is."

Police say they found Jackson in Culver City and made the arrest. They won't go
into detail about the case but say the motive likely comes down to greed.

"She had, in my view, determined that she had a good thing [going] and no one
was going to get between her and a good thing," Whittingham said.

(source: CBS News)

USA:

Steiker receives 2018 Sacks-Freund Award

The Harvard Law School Class of 2018 selected Carol Steiker '86 for the
prestigious Albert M. Sacks-Paul A. Freund Award for Teaching Excellence.

In her introduction, Class Marshal Alejandra Huerta Gutierrez described Steiker
as "a professor that students dream of and that others professors seek to
emulate." She "does not shy away from the tough conversations," Gutierrez said.

Steiker thanked the class for the award, noting that it was "especially
well-timed," as she was about to attend her 35th Harvard College reunion.
Steiker encouraged graduates to recognize and nurture 2 issues that she has
appreciated more as time passes: They should not close themselves off to those
who see the world differently; and they should always ask what is right and
best for society when considering legal arguments.

Steiker closed with an analogy borrowed from paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould.
Knowledge, she said, is an expanding balloon, in which the volume of knowledge
is contained by the unknown. "As the sphere expands, so does the boundary of
what we don't know," she said, "but that ratio is not constant. Volume grows
faster, and always outpaces the growth of ignorance. May your spheres be ever
expanding."

Steiker is the Henry J. Friendly Professor of Law and faculty co-director of
the Criminal Justice Policy Program at HLS. Her expertise in the criminal
justice field ranges from substantive criminal law to criminal procedure to
institutional design, with a focus on capital punishment. She co-wrote her most
recent book, "Courting Death: The Supreme Court and Capital Punishment," with
her brother, Jordan Steiker '88, a professor at the University of Texas School
of Law.

As an HLS student, Steiker was the 2nd woman to be president of the Harvard Law
Review. Prior to joining the HLS faculty, Steiker clerked for Judge J. Skelly
Wright of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals and Justice Thurgood Marshall of
the U.S. Supreme Court, and was a staff attorney for the Public Defender
Service for the District of Columbia. She has worked on pro bono litigation
projects on behalf of indigent criminal defendants, including death penalty
cases before the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Class of 2018 also selected Steiker to give a Last Lecture, a talk
organized by 3L and LL.M. Class Marshals.

The Sacks-Freund Award recognizes a single faculty member each year for
teaching ability, attentiveness to student concerns, and general contributions
to student life at the law school. It was established in 1992 and is named in
honor of the late Harvard Law School Professors Albert Sacks '48 and Paul
Freund S.J. D. '32. Recent recipients include Mark Wu, Jeanne Suk '02, Jon
Hanson, Tyler Giannini and Benjamin Sachs.

(source: Harvard law Today)