[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, GA., MISS., ILL., NEB., NEV., CALIF., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri May 4 08:40:56 CDT 2018

May 4

TEXAS:

Former Missouri City cop on death row denied federal appeal

Robert Fratta is a death row inmate who was convicted in the murder-for-hire
slaying of his wife.

A former Missouri City police officer now on Texas death row lost out on a
federal appeal Tuesday, bringing him 1 step closer to the death chamber.

Robert Fratta was sentenced to death by a Harris County court in 1996 after
jurors found him guilty of hiring someone to murder his wife Farah Fratta. The
hitman, Joseph Prystash, paid a 3rd man to carry out the killing, according to
court records. All 3 ended up on death row.

Fratta has repeatedly professed his innocence in the slaying over the more than
2 decades he's spent fighting the case.

(source: Houston Chronicle)

**************

In 'Death Row,' Michelle Lyons Recalls 280 Executions - And a Life Marred by
Trauma----Michelle Lyons' memoir tells the story of a traumatic life spent
witnessing hundreds of people being executed in Texas' most infamous prison.

"What I remember most is the nothingness," Michelle Lyons writes in her new
book, Death Row. "I can't remember his name, his crime or what Texas county he
fell from, but the contours of his face are etched on my mind, as if he was
executed yesterday."

As first a reporter and then a public information officer for the Texas
Department of Criminal Justice, Lyons attended every execution - more than 280
- carried out at the Huntsville, Texas penitentiary over 12 years. Her book,
which was released in the U.K. on May 3 by Blink Publishing, is a portrait of
what it's like to be surrounded by death in your life - to fill your days with
irreverent, gallows-humor while you watch death-row inmates executed as a
matter of routine.

"At first I was worried something was wrong with me, because I felt nothing,"
Lyons told The Daily Beast. "I was worried that was a statement about who I
was. It is such a sterile environment. It is such a clinical experience. In the
state of Texas, it goes like clockwork."

"I was so good, like journalists often are, at putting my feelings aside," said
Lyons, her voice catching in her throat. "But over time, there is a cumulative
effect. After a while, you hear inmates families' crying or see the anxiousness
of the victims' families. I ended up feeling pulled in so many directions."

At first, she kept a journal.

"Earl Carl Heiselbetz Jr., 48, was the 1st person to be executed in the new
millennium, and the 200th in Texas since Dec. 1982, when executions resumed,"
she wrote in a January 2000 entry. "You could hear him making these
uncomfortable breathing noises, the same kinds I think I would make if it were
me strapped to the gurney."

His last words were: "Love y'all - see you on the other side."

Lyons hopes her book illustrates the complexity of the death penalty, she told
The Daily Beast. When she began working for the prison system, she was
staunchly pro-capital punishment, but that opinion didn't hold for long.

"It's not that black and white," she said over the phone. "These are real
people who are being executed."

"'In secret, I cry more than any of them would think. I have a pocket of inner
darkness that sometimes consumes me and makes me want to shut out the world.'"
- Michelle Lyons

Over the years, Lyons saw countless inmates' mothers plead and scream and pray
and faint. She watched men die after killing children, after killing neighbors,
after killing strangers. Robert Coulson, Gary Graham, William Kendrick Burns,
James Edward Clayton, John Satterwhite, and Hilton Crawford all died in front
of her eyes. Some men were still wearing their glasses when they stopped
breathing. Some were apologetic. Some were stoic. Some were angry.

Cameron Todd Willingham - who was convicted of murdering his 3 daughters in a
house fire - used his last breath in 2004 to lavish profanities on his ex-wife:
"I hope you rot in hell, bitch. I hope you fucking rot in hell, bitch. You
bitch. I hope you fucking rot, cunt. That's it."

David Martinez, who raped and murdered a student in Austin, said at his
execution: "Only the sky and the green grass goes on forever, and today is a
good day to die."

Napoleon Beazley was 25 years old when he was executed in 2001. A few weeks
before his death - and 7 years after he'd murdered John Luttig - he told Lyons
that death row "is like a cancer."

"It eats away at you piece by piece, and then you get to a point where you
don't care if you live or die," he said.

In her book, Lyons describes Beazley as "the poster child for juvenile
executions," since he was 17 years old when he committed the crime. There was
considerable media coverage surrounding his controversial death.

"It was a heinous crime. His victims were in their home, where they thought
they'd be safe," Lyons wrote. But she bonded with Beazley in his time on death
row - and she truly believed he was a changed person. "Not only did I get the
sense that he wouldn't have been in any more trouble, I thought he would have
been a productive member of society, were he given a 2nd chance. He could have
done great things."

In his final written statement, Beazley said, "The person that committed that
act is no longer here - I am... I'm sorry that John Luttig died. And I'm sorry
that it was something in me that caused all of this to happen to begin with."

"Tonight, we tell the world that there are no 2nd chances in the eyes of
justice," he continued. "No one wins tonight. No one gets closure. No one walks
away victorious."

After watching Beazley die, Lyons wept the whole way home.

"I'd gotten too close," she writes in her book.

Lyons refused to cry in front of anyone else, even if she was affected. Soon,
she stopped taking such meticulous personal notes in her journal - about the
executions and her carefully hidden feelings. It was too hard, she said.

"If I had started exploring how the executions made me feel while I was seeing
them, or gave too much thought to all the emotions that were in play, how would
I have been able to go back into that room, month after month, year after
year?" Lyons writes. "It was the numbness that preserved me and kept me going."

While Death Row is a deeply sad memoir of perseverance in the face of routine
tragedy, the traumatic is sometimes buried in the banal - and vice versa. In
the days and hours before executions, inmates are checked by guards every 15
minutes, and their activities are documented, Lyons writes.

"It would be trivial things, like 'inmate sleeping,' 'inmate reading' or
'inmate sitting on bunk,'" she says. "There were other things we'd leave off,
because nobody wanted to know that an inmate had spent his final hours on earth
furiously masturbating."

For years, Lyons had even confused which execution was the last one she
witnessed.

"It tells you how shattered I was, that the memories weren't even going in,
never mind disappearing," she wrote.

Before the hundreds of men (and a few women) she saw executed, Lyons simply
wanted to be a reporter. She grew up in Galveston, where her father worked at
the Galveston County Daily News. She went to bed with a view of the beach
outside her window. She spent summers wearing flip-flops and working at tacky
souvenir shops.

Even on the phone - while discussing years of trauma and death - Lyons radiates
an ebullient persona born of that carefree environment. She's known by family
and friends for a glowing optimism. But there's a crisp juxtaposition between
her eager voice and the book's dark contents.

"In secret, I cry more than any of them would think. I have a pocket of inner
darkness that sometimes consumes me and makes me want to shut out the world,"
she admits in the book. "I didn't want anybody to feel sorry for me, which is
why I didn't even tell my husband when I cried all the way home after an
execution."

Lyons began her journalism career as an obituary writer at The Bryan-College
Station Eagle. She later moved to Huntsville, about 70 miles north of Houston,
where she worked at The Huntsville Item. The Texas Department of Criminal
Justice has its headquarters in Huntsville, where 5 prisons are located within
the city limits. 4 others sit just minutes outside of town. Kate Winslet, who
filmed The Life of David Gale in Huntsville, once called the city "1 giant
prison" with a "pervasive sense of death."

Lyons was 22 years old when she saw her 1st execution, filling in for an absent
coworker. She watched 41-year-old Javier Cruz put to death in 1998 while he
repeated "I'm okay, I'm okay," to his family. He waived his right to make a
last statement. Cruz was the 15th person executed that year. Soon afterward,
Lyons left the Item to work for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice in
2001 and became the director of public information for 110 prisons across the
state. She stayed there until 2012.

"I still live in Huntsville; I'm still surrounded by prisons," Lyons told The
Daily Beast this week. "But it's a lovely community, and I have made it my
home."

After meeting ex-Texas Monthly (and current New York Times Magazine) writer
Pamela Colloff, Lyons began recounting the scenes that had haunted her for
years - but that she had never processed.

She remembered everything: "The conversations she had shared with particular
inmates in the hours before they were strapped to the gurney; of the mothers,
dressed in their Sunday best, who had turned out to attend their sons'
executions; of the victims' families, their faces hardened with grief; of the
sudden stillness that came over the prisoners soon after the lethal drugs
entered their bloodstreams," Colloff wrote, in her National Magazine
Award-nominated piece "The Witness."

Lyons thought being away from the job would make it easier, but "it's been
quite the opposite."

"I think about it all the time," she writes in her book. "Now that I'm gone,
it's like I've taken the lid off Pandora's Box and I can't put it back on."

Even now, in her personal life, Lyons describes a hypervigilance common among
those who've been exposed to prolonged trauma. It's all tinged with a genuine,
bubbly, reporterly matter-of-factness.

"I'm not afraid to go anywhere, but I'm constantly looking behind me and
locking doors," she writes. "When I arrive at a parking lot, you won't see me
digging around in my bag for my car keys; they will already be in my hand."

In the end, she doesn't regret her career choice, she says, citing a famous
unattributed quote:

"People always ask me, 'Why do you always take the hard road?' And I replied,
'Why do you assume I see more than 1 road?'"

(source: thedailybeast.com)

GEORGIA----stay of execution lifted----impending execution

Murdered Georgia man's father thanks God inmate's execution is back on----Stay
lifted; Robert Earl Butts Jr. set for lethal injection at 7 p.m. Friday

Not long after halting the scheduled execution of Georgia inmate Robert Earl
Butts Jr., the State Board of Pardons and Paroles lifted its own stay, putting
the death penalty wheels back in motion.

Butts is now scheduled to die by lethal injection Friday at 7 p.m. Before the
parole board issued a stay Wednesday night, Butts was expected to get the
needle Thursday evening for the 1996 murder of off-duty correctional officer
Donovan Corey Parks.

"Oh Lord," said Freddie Parks, the victim's father. "I'm nervous. I'm really
happy to hear the good news. I've been going through it 22 years. Nobody knows
what I've been going through but me and the Lord. And I've been really talking
to Him."

Just hours earlier, Parks, a 75-year-old retired prison guard, was angry and
despondent at the same time over the stay of execution. "It wasn't fair the way
it came out, putting it off. Another blow," he said at the time.

When the board issued its 90-day stay Wednesday night, its spokesman said the
5-member panel needed time to review the "considerable amount of additional
information" it received in a meeting with Butts' attorneys, as well as in a
subsequent session with those who wanted to see the execution carried out.

"Knowing the gravity of its decisions, the board extended deliberations in
order to consider supplemental information submitted during the meeting that
members had not previously reviewed," spokesman Steve Hayes said. "Completing
that process, the board voted to deny clemency."

While the parole board has the sole constitutional authority to grant clemency,
the courts have the ultimate power to decide whether to spare an inmate's life.
So Butts' attorneys continued to file appeals on Thursday.

If Butts, 40, is executed, he will be the 2nd man Georgia has put to death this
year.

Meanwhile, Butts' criminal accomplice, Marion "Murdock" Wilson, is challenging
his own death sentence in the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The day after
Butts' execution warrant was signed on April 16, the U.S. Supreme Court sent
Wilson's case back to the federal appeals court in Atlanta with instructions
that the judges take another look at it.

The Butts stay was only the 5th that this parole board has issued. 3 inmates
whose punishments were postponed were eventually executed, while the board last
year commuted Daniel Greene's death sentence to life without parole for
murdering a former classmate in Taylor County in 1991.

According to testimony, Butts, 18 at the time, and Wilson were at a
Milledgeville Walmart the evening of March 28, 1996, "shopping" for a victim,
when they crossed paths with Parks, who had just left Bible study and was at
the store to pick up cat food, soap and cocoa. Butts knew Parks because they
both had worked at a local Burger King.

Butts asked Parks for a ride.

Witnesses said they saw Butts, wearing a black Colorado Rockies jacket, get in
the front seat of the 1992 Acura and Wilson slide into the back.

According to testimony, 16 minutes later on Felton Road, Parks was shot in the
back of the head with a sawed-off shotgun. District Attorney Stephen Bradley
said authorities don't know who actually pulled the trigger, but said both men
are murderers as parties to a crime.

Leaving Parks face-down in his own blood, Butts and Wilson drove off in the
Acura, headed to Atlanta in hopes of selling the car for parts. When that plan
failed, the 2 returned to Middle Georgia, where they set fire to the car behind
a Macon Huddle House and called Butts' uncle for a ride back to Milledgeville.

Both were arrested 4 days later.

Baldwin County Sheriff's Office investigators found the sawed-off Mossberg 500
12-gauge shotgun under the mattress of Wilson's bed. At Butts' house, where he
lived with his mother, investigators found "nomenclature" for the FOLK Nation
gang on his bedroom walls and the FOLK "book of knowledge," said Putnam County
Sheriff Howard Sills, who was chief deputy in Baldwin County when Parks was
killed.

Butts' lawyers, in their clemency petition and in a subsequent letter to the
parole board, argue that Butts did not kill Parks. They say Wilson did.

"I know he did it," Freddie Parks said about suggestions that Butts is
innocent. And Freddie Parks said he will witness the lethal injection of his
son's killer.

Several years ago, Butts wrote to him, Freddie Parks said. He didn't open the
letter. "I burned it up," he said.

(source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

****************

Georgia inmate's request for clemency denied; execution rescheduled----The
State Board of Pardons and Paroles has issued a stay of up to 90 days for
Robert Earl Butts Jr. in order to continue consideration of the case.

A Georgia inmate on death row has had his request for clemency has been denied.

Robert Earl Butts Jr. had been sentenced to die back in November 1998 in
Baldwin County for the 1996 murder of Donovan Corey Parks.

Butts was scheduled to die Thursday, May 3 at the state prison in Jackson, but
the board held a clemency hearing Wednesday to hear arguments about commuting
his sentence. That's where they issued a a stay of up to 90 days for in order
to continue consideration of the case.

However, on Thursday, they denied Butt's request for clemency and his death
sentence be commuted.

Butt's execution has been rescheduled for 7 p.m. on Friday, May 4 at the
Jackson State Prison.

There have been 70 men and 1 woman executed in Georgia since the U.S. Supreme
Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976.

If Butt's is executed, he will be the 49th inmate put to death by lethal
injection.

(source: 11alive.com)

MISSISSIPPI:

Judge: Distant Jury Likely for 8 Killings in Mississippi----A judge says jurors
will probably have to be chosen from another part of the state for the trial of
a man charged with killing 8 people in south Mississippi.

A judge says jurors will probably have to be chosen from another part of the
state for the trial of a man charged with killing 8 people in south
Mississippi.

Willie Cory Godbolt appeared Thursday before Lincoln County Circuit Judge David
Strong in a hearing to update the status of the case, the Clarion Ledger
reported.

"Candidly, my thought is that there is no way that a jury can be selected
anywhere south of Jackson," Strong said.

The judge also said the jury will more than likely have to be chosen from
somewhere that does not receive coverage from Jackson news outlets. Brookhaven
is about 70 miles (110 kilometers) south of Jackson.

No trial date has been set.

Godbolt has been jailed without bond since his May 28 arrest, hours after the
killings in and around Brookhaven.

Deputy William Durr responded to a disturbance late May 27 at the home of
Godbolt's in-laws. The 36-year-old deputy was killed there, as were Godbolt's
mother-in-law, Barbara Mitchell, 55; Mitchell's sister, Brenda May, 53; and
May's daughter, Tocarra May, 35.

2 cousins - 11-year-old Austin Edwards and 18-year-old Jordan Blackwell - were
killed at a 2nd home. A husband and wife, Ferral Burage, 45, and Shelia Burage,
46, were killed at a 3rd home.

Authorities are awaiting reports on four autopsies.

Godbolt was indicted in March on four counts of capital murder, four counts of
murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count
of armed robbery. Days after the indictments, he pleaded not guilty to all
counts. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty on the four counts of capital
murder.

Godbolt's new attorney, Alison Steiner of the State Public Defender's office,
asked the judge Thursday to let Godbolt wear civilian clothes during court
hearings, which she said are likely to receive widespread media coverage.
Strong said he would leave Godbolt's attire up to the sheriff.

(source: Associated Press)

ILLINOIS:

>From death row to Sycamore: Rolando Cruz speaks out on life after exoneration

Rolando Cruz was twice sentenced to death for a murder he did not commit,
giving away more than 10 years of his life on death row. He's still giving. In
fact, it's a common thread in his life. Cruz, 54, grew up in Aurora, and served
more than 12 years behind bars - 12 years, 3 months, 3 days and an hour and a
half, he'll tell you - after he was first taken into custody. He was twice
wrongfully convicted of the 1983 rape and murder of 10-year-old Jeanine
Nicarico, who was abducted from her Naperville home while she was home sick
from school. Before he was imprisoned at age 20, he wanted to be a fender and
body man, like his dad.

"My thing wasn't money," he said. "I can still work, and I'm blessed." Cruz has
lived in Sycamore since September 2014 with his wife, Telma. He received
millions in a wrongful conviction settlement, but his family lives in a modest
home where he works to help both victims and defendants in criminal cases as a
volunteer legal counselor through his business, In Pursuit of Justice.

His feelings about the death penalty aren't what you might expect from someone
whose personal story was one of the key reasons cited by former Gov. George
Ryan when he halted executions in Illinois. With 4 of his 10 children still 18
or younger, he was drawn to Sycamore because of the school district. Cruz says
he likes living in a small, quiet town. He throws numerous parties for
children, most notably after the school year wraps up. He works full-time at
Target Distribution Center in DeKalb, where he racks up a lot of overtime, he
said - like it or not. "I've never wanted money," he said. "I gave away most of
my money."

He's still giving. In fact, it's a common thread in his life.

Cruz, 54, grew up in Aurora, and served more than 12 years behind bars - 12
years, three months, 3 days and an hour and a half, he'll tell you - after he
[...]

With four of his 10 children still 18 or younger, he was drawn to Sycamore
because of the school district. Cruz says he likes living in a small, quiet
town.

He throws numerous parties for children, most notably after the school year
wraps up. He works full-time at Target Distribution Center in DeKalb, where he
racks up a lot of overtime, he said - like it or not.

"I've never wanted money," he said. "I gave away most of my money."

In Pursuit of Justice

Cruz's conviction resulted from his telling police a fabricated story in hopes
of collecting a $10,000 reward for information leading to Nicarico's killer. He
and 2 other men, Alejandro Hernandez and Stephen Buckley would be implicated in
the crime. Hernandez also would be sentenced to death.

Brian Dugan would eventually confess to the crime, saying he acted alone, which
led to Cruz's 1st conviction being overturned. But Dugan's confession was not
admissible as evidence in Cruz's later trials. Cruz was later convicted and
sentenced to death a 2nd time.

Cruz was finally freed from prison in November 1995, after he was acquitted in
a 3rd trial. After his release, Cruz said he was essentially on tour with
politicians for years.

"I guess that's what you'd call it," he said. "I felt like I was entertainment
for people to come see, like going to the zoo. That brought me back to feeling
like I was on death row."

Cruz spent a lot of time in Springfield and helping with the push for an
elimination of the death penalty, which began with Ryan's decision to place a
moratorium on executions in January 2000. Ryan eventually pardoned Cruz, and
later commuted the sentences of all Illinois death row inmates to life in
prison before he left office in 2003.

In addition to working with death-penalty foes, Cruz also served as a youth
advocate for the Jane Addams Hull House Association.

(source: The Daily Chronicle)

NEBRASKA:

Nebraska AG sues to stop legislative committee from questioning prisons
director

Nebraska's prisons director doesn't want to talk publicly about his
department's lethal injection protocol - how he developed it or where he got
the drugs to carry out the death penalty intended, so far, for 2 condemned
prisoners.

Department of Correctional Services Director Scott Frakes is fighting lawsuits
aimed at making him reveal what he knows. And now, he's filed one of his own
against a legislative committee trying to force him to answer questions.

Nebraska Attorney General Doug Peterson and the Corrections director are suing
state senators on the Judiciary Committee and Executive Board over a subpoena
issued to Frakes.

The subpoena, dated April 24 and signed by Judiciary Committee Chairwoman Laura
Ebke and Clerk of the the Legislature Patrick O'Donnell, would require Frakes
to testify before the Judiciary Committee on Tuesday about the preparation,
adoption and application of the department's lethal injection protocol, and its
constitutionality.

Ebke had requested Frakes come to the hearing, but he told her he did not plan
to attend, then sent a letter formally turning down the committee's invitation
on the advice of Department of Correctional Services attorneys.

Omaha Sen. Ernie Chambers filed a complaint with the Executive Board in March
charging that the lethal injection protocol violates federal drug laws and
constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment. It also
violates Nebraska's Administrative Procedure Act, he said.

Peterson argues the subpoena is unlawful and should be rescinded, and the
defendants should be stopped from requesting such a subpoena in the future.
They have violated a provision of the Nebraska Constitution, Peterson said.

The May 8 hearing was not put in place by the body of senators, by state law or
by a legislative resolution, as Peterson said is required.

The attorney general also claims that when the Executive Board referred
Chambers' complaint to a legislative committee, it was the wrong committee. It
should have gone to the Government, Military and Veterans Affairs Committee,
rather than the Judiciary Committee.

There has been much disagreement in recent years about where Department of
Corrections-related bills should be sent for hearings and discussion, mostly
because of the makeup of the committees. The Judiciary Committee is thought to
have more progressive and moderate members, and the Government Committee a
majority of more conservative members.

Ebke said in a letter to Frakes that the Judiciary Committee has jurisdiction
over criminal penalties and sentencing, and specifically state law providing
for a death sentence.

The Government Committee has jurisdiction over state departments and
administrative rules and regulations.

The Executive Board voted 5-3 to give subpoena authority to the Judiciary
Committee.

In 2013, the Legislature put into law the authority for all its committees -
special and standing - to issue subpoenas. They would have to receive approval
by a majority vote of the Executive Board to issue a subpoena with regard to a
specific inquiry or investigation.

The committee could require any state agency, political subdivision or
individual to provide information relevant to the investigation within 30 days
of the initial request.

Named in the lawsuit are Ebke and Executive Board Chairman Dan Watermeier;
O'Donnell; Judiciary Committee members Roy Baker, Matt Hansen, Bob Krist, Adam
Morfeld, Patty Pansing Brooks, Steve Halloran and Chambers; and Executive Board
members Kate Bolz, Sue Crawford, Dan Hughes, John Kuehn, Tyson Larson, John
McCollister and Speaker Jim Scheer.

Peterson added in the lawsuit that Halloran was named only because he was a
member of the Judiciary Committee, but noted he voted against the subpoena. On
the Executive Board, Kuehn, Hughes and Scheer voted against the subpoena.
Larson was absent for the vote.

Ebke, O'Donnell and Watermeier declined to comment on the lawsuit. Chambers
could not be reached.

The Corrections Department's lethal injection protocol and its refusal to
identify sources of the drugs it has specified for executions have been targets
of several pending lawsuits.

The Journal Star and other media outlets have filed suit themselves, seeking to
force the department to turn over public records on the execution drugs and the
sources of those drugs. Other pending lawsuits were filed by ACLU of Nebraska,
death row inmates, and Chambers and the Rev. Stephen Griffith.

(source: Lincoln Journal Star)

NEVADA:

Parents of starved 5-month-old could face death penalty

Hannibal Oceja only weighed 5 pounds at 5-months-old. Investigators say his
parents starved him.

As the 8 News NOW I-Team learned, the boy starved to death even though his
parents had a refrigerator full of food.

It doesn't happen often that jurors make outbursts in court. But when the grand
jury considered charges against 2 Las Vegas parents and saw the photos of the
child, a juror yelled, "Oh my God."

Reporter Vanessa Murphy: "Have you ever seen anything like that happen?"

Chief Deputy District Attorney Kristina Rhoades: "I have not. No."

The average weight for a 5-month-old boy is closer to 15 pounds. Loreana
Martinez and Anthony Oceja are now accused of murder.

On Wednesday, Chief Deputy District Attorneys Dave Stanton and Kristina Rhoades
revealed they are pushing for the death penalty. They point to torture. They
say, the child died from hunger.

"Everyday leading up to the death, there was pain and suffering," Rhoades said.

On Feb. 25, the mother called 9-1-1 after Hannibal was unresponsive. A doctor
testified the baby was so dehydrated, it was too difficult to put an IV in his
vein. The needle had to go directly into his bones instead. But the child could
not be saved.

Investigators took photos of the messy home, a kitchen with food - both on the
stove and in the fridge, and 2 other children described as socially delayed.

According to records, a daughter who a pediatrician previously noted as
emaciated and diagnosed her with failure to thrive. Investigators say a son was
also malnourished and dehydrated.

It turns out, there were also warning signs about baby Hannibal. Records show
that during a visit to the pediatrician, Dr. Shazia Kirmani expressed concern
about his weight and noted the mother was uncooperative with her medical
recommendations. And after that, Martinez was a no show to three follow-up
appointments.

It appears Dr. Kirmani, who by law must report suspected child abuse or
neglect, did not contact Child Protective Services.

2 months after that appointment which another pediatrician testified was a
"major, major problem, major red flag," baby Hannibal died.

The I-Team reached out to Dr. Kirmani for a statement and received no comment.

Loreana Martinez and Anthony Oceja are charged with murder, child abuse and
animal cruelty.

Metro police say they found four dogs in their home also in poor health from
not being fed enough. There were bottles, a breast pump, and food in the house
for both the family and the pets and no other health issues identified for
Hannibal so why was the baby boy skin and bones?

"I don't know that we have the answer and I don't know if the criminal trial is
going to ever answer that, but that is going to be a significant aspect of this
case," Stanton said.

According to transcripts, Martinez told detectives she suffered from postpartum
depression after her first child, took medicine for less than a week and
stopped. It is unclear what role that could play in the case.

"They never opened the door," said neighbor Margie Pena.

She says she didn't see the family much, but she remembers a haunting image of
the mother pushing baby Hannibal in a stroller and how skinny he was.

"You could see the veins."

Rhoades points to the missed opportunities to help try to protect baby
Hannibal.

"I mean there was a 5 month period where family members could have seen this
child and could have intervened and something could have happened."

"This case can and should be a very big learning lesson to the citizens and to
the government officials of Clark County," Stanton said.

Because Stanton says no child should starve to death.

(source: lasvegasnow.com)

CALIFORNIA:

California could restart executions. These counties are most likely to condemn
murderers.

California's death row has ballooned to nearly 750 inmates and the state hasn't
executed a murderer in more than 12 years.

That could change soon.

California voters in 2016 approved Proposition 66, which attempted to remove
regulatory hurdles to executions. The California Supreme Court upheld much of
the proposition last year. A judge in April lifted an order blocking the state
from carrying out death sentences by lethal injection, though some legal
challenges to resuming executions remain.

The state has executed 13 men since 1978. Condemned men are held at at San
Quentin State Prison, and the 23 women on death row are held at Central
California Women's Facility in Chowchilla.

Since the death penalty was reinstated in the late 1970s, California counties
have condemned murderers to death at widely divergent rates.

The Bee compared the number of murderers on death row to the number of
homicides in each county between 1985 and 2016. About 90 % of the current
inmates on death row were sentenced during those years.

Among the 35 largest counties in the state, Kings, Riverside, Shasta and El
Dorado counties have the highest rates of death row inmates per 1,000
homicides. The lowest rates were in Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Merced and
Solano counties.

Counties with low homicide rates tended to have a high rate of murderers on
death row. Put another way, relatively safe communities tended to send a high
rate of murderers to death row.

The death penalty is most often supported by political conservatives. Counties
with a high proportion of Republican voters tended to send a high rate of
murderers to death row.

The analysis did not find a significant correlation between population size and
rates of inmates sent to death row - large and small counties condemned inmates
at similar rates. Nor was there a significant correlation between poverty and
rates of inmates sent to death row - counties with many or few poor residents
sent murderers to death row at similar rates.

The Bee's analysis has limitations. It is based on reported homicides, not
homicide convictions. It is also based on the state's current death row
population, and does not include the 127 inmates who died (mostly due to
suicide or natural causes) following their convictions.

(source: sacbee.com)

*****************

My innocent client spent 25 years on death row. How long will it take to
realize our system is broken?

What ails our criminal justice system? Defense attorney Dean Strang, made
famous in the Netflix documentary series "Making a Murderer," says it's a
"tragic lack of humility" and an "unwarranted certitude on the part of police
officers and prosecutors and defense lawyers and judges and jurors that they're
getting it right."

Strang's diagnosis was confirmed in California two weeks ago, when my client
Vicente Benavides walked out of San Quentin prison, exonerated after
languishing on death row for more than a quarter-century. This was a victory
for justice, but no one should take Benavides' release as an indication that
the system works in California better than anywhere else.

i In 1993, Benavides was sentenced to death for a crime he did not commit:
sexually assaulting his girlfriend's 21-month-old daughter so violently that
she died. He always maintained his innocence. He had no prior criminal history,
no history of violence or sexual deviance. By everyone's account, he had always
been kind and caring toward the child and others.

Nonetheless, he was convicted based on the testimony of several doctors who
confidently concluded that the child had been sexually abused. One doctor
testified that he believed it "without a doubt," claiming that this was the
worst case of child sexual abuse he had ever seen. Another doctor showed the
jury how he believed Benavides sodomized the child while she was sitting on his
lap. A 3rd doctor told the jurors the child had been repeatedly sodomized.
After viewing the graphic photos of the child's genitalia purportedly showing
the effects of the abuse, the last holdout juror voted to condemn Benavides to
death.

Benavides is the 5th death row inmate to be exonerated in California.

When my colleagues and I at the Habeas Corpus Resource Center were appointed to
represent Benavides in 1999, he already had been on death row for 6 years. We
began by obtaining every piece of paper related to the child's medical
treatment during the 8 days she spent at 3 hospitals before she succumbed to
her injuries. We tracked down the doctors who had testified and showed them the
complete medical records, which they had not seen before they took the witness
stand. These records unequivocally showed that the child had no signs of sexual
abuse when she was admitted to the emergency room of the 1st hospital. The
records also showed that the injuries observed at the 2nd and 3rd hospital,
that were in the photographs shown to jurors, likely resulted from medical
procedures undertaken in the emergency room of the 1st hospital and the child's
deteriorating medical condition.

The doctors who previously had been so certain about their diagnosis realized
they had made a grave mistake. They recanted their testimony. The prosecution's
star witness, a child abuse pediatrician, proclaimed that the case was a
"tremendous failing of the criminal justice system."

In March, the California Supreme Court unanimously reversed Benavides'
conviction, finding that the false evidence presented at his trial was
"extensive, pervasive and impactful." At oral argument, Justice Carol A.
Corrigan, who is a former prosecutor, said the case was among the most
"hair-raising false evidence" cases she had ever encountered. On April 19,
prosecutors dismissed all charges and Benavides was released.

Benavides, 42 at the time of his conviction, is now 68. He can never regain the
years he lost.

If Proposition 66 had been in place during his appeal, Benavides may well have
been executed rather than exonerated. That law, which accelerates the death
penalty review process and lowers the qualifications for defense attorneys, was
passed by 51% of California voters in November 2016.

It took us almost two decades of unrelenting effort to overcome the
"unwarranted certitude" of the police, the prosecutors and the medical experts
in Benavides' case. The state attorney general did not admit the conviction was
based on false evidence until 2015, even though we had presented proof that the
testimony was false over a decade earlier.

Without providing sufficient time to adequately investigate capital cases, as
well as additional resources to defense attorneys and the courts, Proposition
66 will not fix California's dysfunctional death penalty system. According to
the bipartisan California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice,
there are only 2 possible solutions: Provide almost $100 million more in
funding a year to ensure that the system is fair, or eliminate the death
penalty.

In 2012, Gov. Jerry Brown blithely dismissed the possibility that innocent
people have been sentenced to death in California. He said, "I know people say,
'Oh, there have been all these innocent people.' Well, I have not seen one name
on death row that's been told to me."

He has been told one now. Benavides is, in fact, the 5th death row inmate to be
exonerated in California.

Brown and the California Supreme Court should commute all death row sentences
before the governor's term ends in January. They can no longer share in the
unwarranted certitude that the criminal justice system is infallible.

(source: Op-Ed; Cristina Borde is a former Habeas Corpus Resource Center
attorney for Vicente Benavides. She currently is the director of the Wisconsin
Latino Exoneration Program at the Wisconsin Innocence Project----Los Angeles
Times)

USA:

The Death Penalty in the United States, Explained----Capital punishment is on
the decline, but that could change under the Trump administration.

After the 19-year-old Parkland shooter was formally indicted, the state
attorney for Broward County, Michael J. Satz, announced on March 13 that he
would seek the death penalty for the gunman. In a statement shared by The New
York Times, Satz declared the attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High as being
"...the type of case the death penalty was designed for."

Several days later (March 19), President Donald Trump announced, a new plan to
combat the nation's ongoing opioid epidemic. While the plan contained several
controversial components, it was Trump's goal to put high-volume drug dealers
to death, which has resulted in the most public attention. "If we don't get
tough on the drug dealers, we are wasting our time... And that toughness
includes the death penalty," Trump said in comments recounted by NBC News.

Capital punishment is discussed regularly in the news: From Nebraska to Ohio,
states are dealing with high-profile death penalty cases that are challenging
the constitutionality of what the ACLU has deemed a "intolerable denial of
civil liberties. With the death penalty now experiencing a broad resurgence in
the public news consciousness, it's important to understand the origins and
evolution of capital punishment in the United States."

The death penalty predates the birth of the United States itself.

It was an import brought over from Britain, with the first record of a
government-sanctioned execution in Jamestown, Virginia, in 1608, when Captain
George Kendall was tried for allegedly betraying Britain to Spain and met an
untimely end by firing squad. (However, historians have questioned whether he
was even guilty of the crimes for which he was accused and put to death).

The modern understanding of capital punishment can perhaps be traced to 1972,
when the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in the criminal case Furman v. Georgia. The
ruling declared "capital punishment, as it is currently employed on the state
and federal level, as unconstitutional" and ultimately, in violation of the
Eighth Amendment, which prohibits cruel and unusal punishment. While the ruling
resulted in a de facto 4-year nationwide ban on capital punishment, the terms
of the ruling also suggested that states draft their own standardized laws to
approach the death penalty in the future so it would not be administered in a
discriminatory way. In the following years, 37 states would eventually follow
that directive.

Today, it's on the decline, but that could change.

As of 2017, the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) reports that
capital punishment is currently authorized in 31 states and that states like
New Mexico (2009), Illinois (2011), Connecticut (2012), and Maryland (2013)
have opted to abolish capital punishment in listed years, choosing to replace
the practice with "life imprisonment with no possibility for parole." But for
the states that continue to practice capital punishment, most choose to utilize
lethal injection in the form of a 3-drug cocktail as their primary method of
execution.

But this often-used form of execution hasn't been without controversy, either,
as many pharmaceutical companies are no longer producing the drugs needed for
the cocktail for fear of them being used in an execution - a point reiterated
in The Council of State Governments newsletter. 15 states - including Alabama,
Florida, Missouri, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington - have secondary
methods of execution, which include death by "electrocution, lethal gas,
hanging, and firing squad," according to NCSL.

But the practice is on the decline in the U.S. Use of the death penalty has
steadily declined since the 1970s, and though a majority of states have
retained capital punishment as an option, a growing number of states have also
increasingly opted to not use it. According to The Marshall Project, 16 states
have not executed a single prisoner since 1976.

But with capital punishment being approved in every state that had it on a
ballot in 2016 and the recent April 18 decision by the Ohio Supreme Court to
uphold the constitutionality of the state's death-penalty practices, all signs
point toward capital punishment remaining an issue that will likely continue
being debated on a state-by-state level for the immediate future with no easy
solution in sight.

With such an entrenched history, it's hardly surprising that capital punishment
remains a contentious political issue.

While the issue somewhat faded from the political spotlight after 1994, when
former President Bill Clinton signed a law allowing for the execution of drug
dealers who direct high-volume enterprises, a New York Times report noted that
the issue experienced a resurgence during the 2016 election cycle thanks in
part to then-candidate Trump.

In December 2015, Trump promised a law enforcement group in New Hampshire that
he would write an executive order enabling capital punishment for anyone who
killed a police officer. This action would be a legislative and legal quagmire,
as pointed out by The Atlantic's Matt Ford, who said the president "doesn't
have the lawful power to unilaterally impose a criminal punishment on anyone,
whether it be a fine, a prison sentence, or death." Trump's declaration still
made waves, as it was in direct opposition to the Democratic candidates in the
race at the time, including Hillary Clinton, who expressed skepticism of
capital punishment and also cautioned that the death penalty should only be
used in extreme cases.

What does this mean for Trump's opioid plan and the current political climate?

In terms of Trump's declaration against drug dealers, Teen Vogue pointed out in
March that using capital punishment to combat the opioid epidemic arguably only
adds to the very problem it is attempting to solve. As assistant federal public
defender Dale A. Baich explained, "Instead of trying to expand the death
penalty - and bring all the constitutional challenges and costs into the mix -
isn't it better to deal with the problems of addiction?"

This sentiment was echoed by Atlanta-based physician Ford Vox in an March op-ed
for CNN, in which he asserted that "the death of those deemed to be problematic
is how some strongmen leaders that President Donald Trump has embraced keep
their hold on power," adding, "But adding to the number of lives lost at the
hands of the opioid crisis is not what the United States needs." Vox believes
that Trump is turning to solutions more appropriate for the 1980s, when he
debuted on the national stage and where initiatives like Nancy Reagan's Just
Say No initiative and President's Reagan's 1982 declaration of a "war on drugs"
occupied much of the national consciousness. Trump's stated intent to conduct a
war on drugs via the death penalty is a continuation of that mentality, he
argues.

But as Vox further posits, "It's not just drug dealers who kill people; drugs
kill people." The writer makes the case that a better solution for the opioid
crisis would be to address not only the drugmakers, but "research on
nonaddictive painkillers deserves far more federal funding and should be the
centerpiece of any effort to end this problem for good." The multipronged
approach to the opioid crisis is supported by Dr. Jonathan I. Groner in an
editorial for NBC News, in which he states: "The opioid epidemic is a public
health emergency and requires a public health response. The response must
include not only legislation, but also funding of prevention and an expansion
of treatment programs."

For now, the Trump Administration appears to be committed to its plans to
pursue capital punishment for certain drug dealers. A memo released by Attorney
General Jeff Sessions on March 21 outlines the guidance for federal prosecutors
to do so, including cases involving "murder related to racketeering crimes, gun
deaths occurring during drug trafficking crimes and murder related to criminal
enterprise," according to CNBC. The Sessions memo was released following
additional measures from the administration, including a planned advertising
campaign and then a push for Congress to take further action.

But with public condemnation of the plan from addiction experts and the Trump
Administration's track record for reversing policy, it is unclear how far this
plan will progress and what impact it might eventually have on the opioid
crisis.

(source: teenvogue.com)