[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, PENN., N.C., S.C., FLA., ALA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sat Jan 20 09:05:36 CST 2018

Jan. 20

TEXAS:

Anthony Graves turns jailhouse writing into book, 'Infinite Hope'

He started on a typewriter, click-clacking away into the night in the quiet of
a prison cell.

That was sometime around 2000, when Anthony Graves didn't know if he'd see the
light of day again - back when the state still planned to execute him for a
crime he didn't commit.

In the nearly 2 decades he spent on Texas' death row, the wrongfully convicted
Brenham man faced 2 execution dates. His 3 sons grew up without him. The world
moved on, but he kept writing, typing, recording his thoughts.

And then, there was hope. First, his co-defendant recanted. Then in 2006, a
federal appeals court set aside his conviction and sentence. Finally, in 2010,
prosecutors dropped the charges against him, and he walked out of prison a free
man.

Author appearance

When: 7 p.m. Monday

Where: Brazos Bookstore, 2421 Bissonnet

Information: Free; 713-523-0701, brazosbookstore.com

Now, all the labor of those late nights on a jailhouse typewriter has come to
fruition. The exonerated man's 1st book - "Infinite Hope" - was released last
week.

In anticipation of his Monday appearance at Brazos Bookstore, Graves talked
about his journey and his hopes for the future.

Q: So, first of all, it looks like you haven't been in the news that much in
the past couple of years - what have you been keeping busy with?

A: I've been doing everything! I've been traveling around the world sharing my
message about criminal justice reform, and also I spent a lot of time writing
my book, as well as teaming up with the ACLU to be part of their Smart Justice
initiative. And I'm also still on the board of the Houston Forensic Science
Center.

Q: Did you always know you would write a book about this someday?