[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, N.Y., PENN., S.C., FLA., MISS.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Feb 6 09:11:29 CST 2018

Feb. 6

TEXAS----impending execution

Voices from Solitary: 18 Days to Live----Clemency Sought for Solitary Watch
Contributor Thomas Whitaker, Scheduled to Be Executed on February 22nd

Thomas Bartlett Whitaker is a tremendously gifted writer. His work has been
published on Solitary Watch (here and here), and was selected for inclusion in
our anthology Hell Is a Very Small Place. It has taken top prizes in the PEN
Prison Writing Awards for both fiction and essay. And some 150 pieces of his
writing, including 22 chapters of a novel, have appeared on Minutes Before Six,
the website he started with the help of volunteers on the outside. Originally
intended as a forum for his own work, it has since expanded to include over 100
other incarcerated contributors, and comprises the single best online
collection of current prison writing in the world.

The name of the site, Minutes Before Six, refers to the time at which
executions are carried out in the state of Texas. After more than a decade in
solitary confinement on death row, Thomas Whitaker is scheduled to be executed
at 6 pm on February 22nd. His death warrant has been signed, his appeals are
exhausted, and the Supreme Court has declined to review his case. His last
remaining hope lies with the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, which has the
power to recommend that the governor commute his death sentence to life without
parole.

The clemency petition filed on Thomas Whitaker's behalf is remarkable in that
its central appeal for mercy comes from the primary victim of his crime. His
father, Kent Whitaker, survived the murder-for-hire ordered by Thomas, in which
Thomas's mother and his younger brother were killed. Kent Whitaker has forgiven
Thomas, visits him in prison, and is begging the state of Texas to spare the
life of his only remaining family member. If his pleas are ignored, it will
give lie to the claim that the death penalty is meant to provide justice to
victims' families, rather than just satisfy a thirst for blood by politicians
and the public.

All executions are travesties. But for us, this one is personal. Thomas
Whitaker is a Solitary Watch contributor. We have corresponded with him,
receiving the letters he neatly types alone in his cell, each one a gem. We,
like thousands of others, know him only through his writing. But we see in that
writing more than just brilliance, erudition, and style. We see wisdom,
compassion, and humanity. We see a man who is much more than his worst act, and
still has much more to give to the world.

If you agree, please consider writing a letter in support of the Clemency
Petition of Thomas Whitaker, and sending it to: Texas Board of Pardons and
Paroles, Clemency Section, 8610 Shoal Creek Boulevard, Austin, TX 78757.

To provide advice on what to say in your letter - as well as more evidence of
why this life should be saved - we are publishing here an excerpt from a recent
post on Minutes Before Six, written by another fine writer, Steven Bartholemew.
Incarcerated in the state of Washington, Bartholemew last month wrote this
appeal for a friend he has never met. Time is short; please heed his call. --
Jean Casella and James Ridgeway

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

...Thomas has been fighting his case for over a decade, seeking post-conviction
relief throughout the entire court system. The appellate process is not unlike
a demented elevator with no doors to open. You ascend slowly, glacially, from
level to level, trundling yourself upward with each denial and appeal, only to
find yourself back in the basement. With each ascension you feel the tug of
gravity, which you might mistake for hope. Sometimes your gut tells you just
before the floor drops; other times it catches you off balance. Thomas's case
was recently rejected by the second highest court in the land, the US Court of
Appeals, Fifth Circuit. Let me state this clearly: we are at the point where
clemency is Thomas's only hope of not being killed in the next few months. The
Governor has already signed the Death Warrant setting Thomas Whitaker's
execution date for February 22nd. In the State of Texas, a clemency process was
instituted decades ago as an ostensible safety valve for an overburdened
criminal justice system.

This is Thomas's sole remaining chance to avoid death. The clemency process
differs from trials and appeals in several important ways. In clemency
proceedings, there is no retrying of the evidence, no arguing over
technicalities. Rather, the matters presented are those on which the courts
have not already ruled. In Thomas's case, the petition being considered is
simple and straightforward: to commute his sentence from death to life.

In Texas, a death row prisoner's petition for clemency is considered by the
Board of Pardons and Paroles. As a rule, members do not meet in person to
deliberate. Instead, they each render separately a decision based on their own
individual criteria - their personal touchstones for deciding the fate of a
human being which they need not disclose, so they do not. By relying on
subjective and secret standards, such an opaque process presents an obvious
barrier to success: any strategy is guesswork, no more and no less. In the
words of U.S. District Judge Sam Sparks, regarding the arbitrariness of the
Board's practices, "A flip of the coin would be more merciful than these
votes." Now you know what Thomas is up against.

The petition is either granted or denied by a majority vote of the Board, which
then informs the governor's irrevocable decision either to sign off on
commutation or allow the execution to proceed. Make no mistake, petitioning for
clemency is a long shot. The statistical probability of being granted clemency
in Texas is not high. However, Thomas's execution becomes a certainty if we do
not try.

Thomas's attorney is presently composing a petition that outlines the reasons
the Board ought to commute his death sentence. He will not be making a legal
argument but rather presenting Thomas as a living human entity to the Board
Members, drawing on his personal life and accomplishments to humanize him
instead of citing evidence and conclusions of law to try to acquit him. The
Board Members will not recommend his petition unless they find a preponderance
of clear and cogent reasons to spare his life. They may define their threshold
of persuasion in amorphous terms, such as "exceptional circumstances", which
means literally whatever they choose to recognize it as. Clemency hearings are
outside the procedural methodology of the courtroom. Rules of admissibility do
not apply, and no one really knows what sways the Board because there is no
clemency precedent from which one could make inductions.

Members of the general public may submit written information for the Board's
consideration. Here is where we come in, you and I. It's one thing for Board
members to have in front of them clerical evidence of Thomas's accomplishments
- copies of his degree, literary awards, and so forth. It's another matter
entirely for them to read firsthand accounts of Thomas's effect on free-world
citizens. Mind you, no one is asking that Thomas Whitaker be released but
rather that he simply be allowed to continue breathing.

The District Attorney will be the 1 and only advocate for the death of Thomas.
Throughout his case, the State - and no one else - has maintained that justice
can only be served by the loss of more life.

The Clemency Board will also consider public sentiment. The Board's only way to
gauge the wishes and attitudes of the community is through letters of support
written by anyone whose life Thomas has impacted - people like you, for
example, whose knowledge and perception of prison have been vastly enriched by
this man. They need to hear from folks like yourself: intelligent, free people
who have lived vicariously through Thomas's stories, literate citizens who have
trusted him for a decade as a patient and honest guide through the experience
of death row. You, dear readers, are his community. You may be thinking that
you wouldn't know what to say. However, I can assure you that how you express
yourself means less than the fact that you are willing to write at all.

To that end, I would present a few suggestions as possible starting points. One
of the things I always ask of free people after we've conversed for a time is
whether their preconceptions about prison have changed. I can't imagine anyone
reading the works of Thomas and not fundamentally altering his or her notions
of what prison and prisoners are made of, how death row feels, or what the
purpose of the death penalty even is - and what that means. Some of you have
felt compelled to become involved with social justice after reading his work.
Some of you have found here a much-needed comprehension of what your own
incarcerated loved ones have endured in silence. Others have become able to
view us not as the bogeyman in the cage but rather as human beings who are
willing to unpack our own flaws and mistakes, our authentic selves, for you.
Some of you have come here as surviving victims, intending to face down the
surrogate objects of your fear or loathing, and have instead walked away with
the clarity and closure born of understanding. Some of you have been
entertained and educated by stories you could not possibly find anywhere else.
These things are worth mentioning to the Board. It would be impossible to
quantify the value of the work Thomas has tirelessly offered you, holding the
fiercest light to the most obscured microcosm of human infliction and
deprivation. But a support letter would go a long way towards representing what
the experience of [Thomas's writing] has meant to you.

After nearly 15 years in prison, my faith in humanity isn't what it once was.
But I believe wholeheartedly that you would be willing to take 10 minutes out
of your cluttered day to write a letter that will increase the likelihood of
Thomas's life being spared.

I have to believe that you, of all people, realize the import and worth of this
particular life - the effect his writing has had on your understandings of this
world and the human condition in general, his potential for a long and
productive literary future. I refuse to entertain the notion of an apathetic
reader or one too preoccupied to respond - not here, and for mercy's sake, not
now. Our window of time is too small to admit complacency, procrastination, or
inaction.

I imagine that you, our readers, are aligned with the rest of the civilized
world outside America in believing the idea of judicial killing is morally
bankrupt. I have faith in your moral compass, so I will not preach, dear choir.

Our sensibilities about the ethical status of the death penalty arise from the
same aversion to physical violence en masse we feel when considering war. Our
state governments have executed 1,448 men and women since the resurrection of
the death penalty in 1977 - a grim doctrine, one carrying the stench of
fossilized worldviews derived from pre-civilized mythos. Such barbarism under
color of law suffuses most of us with societal shame ... But we are no more
capable of properly thinking about the legally orchestrated killing of 1,448
human beings than we are able to say what it feels like to witness 3,000 people
being crushed and burned alive. We all watched that happen on 9/11, but unless
we personally knew someone in one of the World Trade Center towers, what we
felt was an abstract sort of dread, something akin to disbelief. To acknowledge
this emotional shortcoming is merely to recognize the limits of what the human
mind can construct from sensory input ...The pitiful truth is that we might be
incapable of feeling what we must in order to change our own world.

But we are able to meaningfully think about what it means for the State of
Texas to snuff out the life of one man: a vibrant person whom we've come to
know and esteem highly through his words. Thomas has invited his fellow
prisoners onto his site so that we, through our writing, might stand alongside
him. He has invited you and me, his fellow human beings, into his inner world
so that we might try to think alongside him. I have to believe that we, his
community, are capable of feeling what we must in order to change the outcome
of the one hearing that could allow Thomas to keep on living, breathing, and
writing for us. I can only believe that we are capable of mustering what it
takes to extricate ourselves from our daily frittering long enough to act. It
isn't too often we are faced with the opportunity to help avert the death of
someone who matters to us with our actions. This is our chance to do so.

When I contemplate the reality of Thomas's sentence, how the State of Texas
will decide the exact time of his last heartbeat, I feel no small amount of
compassion for him as a fellow human being. I feel sadness at the thought of
the senseless loss of such a prominent intellect, someone I have grown fond of,
and a familiar voice who often says things the way I wish I would have. I feel
outrage that the most prosperous and diverse nation on the planet could still
be so shamefully backward. I have to admit some selfish interest in this, as
well. If there is one thing we all know about Thomas Whitaker, it's that he has
more to accomplish, more to teach us, and much more to say. I, for one, really
want to know what that is. Don't you?

Please send letters in support of the Clemency Petition of Thomas Whitaker to:
Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, Clemency Section, 8610 Shoal Creek
Boulevard, Austin, TX 78757.

(source: solitarywatch.com)

NEW YORK:

Rough Justice----Martin McDonagh's 'Hangmen' Is the Best New Play in New York
City

Martin McDonagh, nominated for 2 Oscars for '3 Billboards,' serves up more
violence and dark humor in his brilliant play 'Hangmen,' set in 1960s England.

What a coup for the Atlantic Theater Company to currently house the best new
play in New York by a playwright and director nominated for 2 Oscars.

The mystery is why Martin McDonagh's brilliant, electrifyingly satisfying
Hangmen isn't on Broadway right from the get-go; caution perhaps - it will
likely follow the path of its London trajectory where it began its 5-star,
rave-reviewed life at the Royal Court Theatre in 2015 before transferring to
the West End.

Hangmen is already a sell-out success, which is hardly surprising given the
buzz around McDonagh generally, but especially given his Oscar nominations for
Best Picture and Original Screenplay for 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- nominations that have proved controversial, given the film's portrayal of
race and racism.

In its opening scene - a heady mixture of brutality and dark humor that
McDonagh writes so well, and which is the hallmark of this play - Hangmen,
directed by Matthew Dunster, first takes the audience to Britain in 1963, and
to a dank jail cell where a prisoner called James Hennessy (Gilles Geary) is
pleading for his life as the hangman's noose swings in preparation.

The hangman is Harry Wade (Mark Addy), a large and bluff Northerner, whom
Hennessy immediately mocks: They could have at least sent Pierrepoint, he says,
referring to Albert Pierrepoint, Britain's most pre-eminent executioner.

Harry is in Pierrepoint's shadow, and later - at the worst possible moment -
Pierrepoint, played by Maxwell Caulfield (of Dynasty/Miles Colby fame) appears
to take issue with Albert talking up his own executioner skills. Both men are
competitive about the numbers of people they have killed, and their own
professionalism. Their sniping sounds funny until you consider the business of
death they are trading barbs about. Fans of McDonagh will know that in the
mining of absurdity and extremity lies the exposure of truth.

The play flashes forward 2 years later to 1965. The walls of the jail cell fold
away to reveal one of the best evocations of a British pub I have ever seen on
TV and stage. You can feel the fug of cigarettes and the smell of spilled
bitter in Anna Fleischle's excellent set (that even incorporates a cafe with
rain-soaked windows that Fleischle accommodates in the eaves of the pub).

This pub in Oldham, Lancashire, belongs to Harry and his wife Alice (Sally
Rogers). With capital punishment now abolished, the pub is both Harry's refuge
and kingdom. He and Alice struggle to understand their daughter Shirley (Gaby
French). Shirley's inner turmoil is dismissed as "mooning," and their parental
ignorance dovetails, potentially tragically, with the appearance of the
menacing Mooney (Johnny Flynn), whose name mirrors the "mooning" Shirley's
parents struggle to identify.

Mooney is a hint of the swinging '60s in this claustrophobic pub. He is the
opposite to the other 1960s, the stultifying universe of tradition and rules
Harry embodies. Mooney has a shag haircut, a sneering malevolence, a peacock's
strut, and a constant stream of insinuating, ever-so-slightly menacing
chit-chat.

Flynn as Mooney is terrifying, hilarious, and mesmerizing. Who is he? What is
he? Where has he come from? He reminded me of Sloane in Joe Orton's
Entertaining Mr. Sloane: an easy smile, a leering thorn in the side of
authority and conventional decency, and possibly concealing a weapon in his
pocket.

McDonagh's command of language and pace is as mischievous as it is virtuosic;
like Orton, he plays on words, subverts meanings, and knows how repetition and
wordplay can work in glorious absurdity, as when these bluff men's men - or so
they would like us to think - find themselves saying "cock" over and over
again.

This is a play about men, and its significant flaw is that it does not know
what to do with its female characters. Alice is little more than an archetypal
Northern landlady, with big hair, an outward brassiness, and a scarred heart of
gold. Shirley is a little more calibrated; she is not simply the doe-eyed
ingenue, but has an intelligence and guile we see only flashes of.
Schematically, the play ensures her absence and Alice's comparative silence.

The counterargument is that Hangmen is merely being true to its time and
setting, which would also explain the play's glancing sexism and racism. They
are just there, present, not celebrated. His wife and daughter know their
places as Harry's adjuncts. He is unfamiliar to them, and mother and daughter
cling to each other.

Just like the real, retired Pierrepoint had, Harry has a pub, and this pub has
a comic gallery of drinking regulars, one of whom is probably a serious
alcoholic and another who mishears things and has to have them explained - a
familiar comedy trope, and here another outlet for more wonderful McDonagh
timing.

But propping up one other corner of the bar is a dour, inscrutable police
inspector Fry (David Lansbury). He knows who the real Harry is; a far from
affable timebomb, who misses the glory of all his kills - the war criminals,
the domestic criminals, and the wrongly accused whose miscarriages of justice,
and whose deaths he oversaw, he doesn't allow to weigh on his mind.

Harry's assistant Syd (Reece Shearsmith, excellently obsequious) at first seems
a comic sidekick, but he too has a plan to exact some long-considered revenge
on his former boss.

He would do well to take care. If you're unsure over who Mooney is and what he
is capable of, you are just as unsure over Harry, as played by the brilliant
Addy whose warmth can turn to fury in a split second. His job gave him
everything of the identity he wanted to project to the world - authority,
leavened by others' fear.

When his own worst fears over the fate of his daughter appear to be confirmed,
he can see only one recourse to reassert himself. The meticulous stage-craft of
the ensuing, graphic violence, choreographed by J. David Brimmer, is so smooth
that it is, in the spirit of the play, both very funny and very dark.

No spoilers here, but in his twists and turns of the plot, McDonagh warps and
deconstructs not only the violence that men do, but also the violence they
would like one another to believe that they are capable of. Hangmen is about
fantasies of violence and real violence, legalized murder and criminal murder,
and the ever-diminishing returns of male one-upmanship and desire to control.

In Hangmen we are finally left with men left behind by time; two hangmen who,
once literal executioners of responsibility and authority, now need to escape
the same for their own continued liberty.

One of their sins is obvious, it's right in front of us. Something else, the
charged, problematic specter of capital punishment, is suspended in the smoky
fug of the pub. These men have absolutely no idea what to do and now no power
to protect themselves with. It is both quietly devastating and revealingly
absurd.

Hangmen is at the Atlantic Theater Company (Linda Gross Theater), 336 West 20th
Street, New York City, until March 25.

(source: The Daily Beast)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Jury selection begins for 2015 police officer slaying trial

Jury selection has begun for the trial of a man charged in the 2015 shooting
death of a police officer in Westmoreland County.

Ray Shetler Jr., 33, is charged in that county in the death of 54-year-old St.
Clair Township officer Lloyd Reed Jr.

Officer Reed was killed in an exchange of gunfire after responding to a
November 2015 domestic disturbance call. Prosecutors have said they will seek
the death penalty if the New Florence resident is convicted of 1st-degree
murder.

District Attorney John Peck says jurors will be taken to the shooting scene to
acquaint them with the property and with places where the suspected murder
weapon and clothes were found.

Defense attorney Mark Daffner has suggested that Mr. Shetler was defending
himself and didn't realize that Reed was a police officer.

Police have said that Mr. Shetler gunned down Officer Reed on Nov. 28, 2015,
after Mr. Shetler's girlfriend, Kristin Luther, called 911 to report a domestic
incident.

"He says, 'expletive the police,' to her ... and he left the house and went
outside," state police spokesman, Trooper Stephen Limani, said in 2015.

But Mr. Shetler told investigators he didn't know the man approaching him that
night with a gun drawn was a police officer, according to a criminal complaint.

After the men exchanged quick gunfire, Officer Reed died, and Mr. Shetler led
police on a 6-hour manhunt before he was caught in nearby Indiana County and
charged with homicide.

Officer Reed, 54, of Hollsopple, Somerset County, was in uniform and wearing a
bulletproof vest when he responded in a marked cruiser around 9:15 p.m. to a
the New Florence home Mr. Shetler shared with Ms. Luther, police said.

State police said Ms. Luther told an emergency dispatcher in a 911 call that
Mr. Shetler wounded her, causing her nose to bleed, and threatened to kill her
and himself.

Ms. Luther said her boyfriend had his .270-caliber hunting rifle with him when
he left the Ligonier Street home.

"There was a lot of information that was given to Officer Reed prior to his
arrival, and those things that he's hearing are a police officer's worst
nightmare ... you have a female - maybe outside of a child - in distress and
having a person with a long rifle," Trooper Limani said. "Every one of us knows
that that vest we wear every single day isn't going to stop a long rifle
round."

>From inside the home, Ms. Luther told police she heard someone yelling, "Ray,
put the gun down, put the gun down.' Mr. Shetler yelled back, she told police,
and stepped toward Officer Reed, rifle in hand.

They were 20 to 30 feet apart when Officer Reed, a 25-year veteran of the
force, shot his .40-caliber pistol 6 times and Mr. Shetler fired three rounds,
Trooper Limani said.

It's unclear who fired 1st, the trooper said, but Mr. Shetler aggressively
approached the officer and did not put down his gun on command.

The officer fell to the ground when he was hit, Ms. Luther told police.

He was able to send a distress call over the scanner alerting authorities that
he'd been shot, the trooper said, and Ms. Luther, a Ligonier officer and a
passerby tried to help him.

Part of the rifle round went through the officer's bulletproof vest, across his
chest and lodged in his right arm, Trooper Limani said. He was not wearing a
body camera.

Seward Officer Justin Dickert, who also arrived in uniform and a marked
cruiser, told investigators he heard Officer Reed???s commands before the
gunfire. The Seward officer, identified by Trooper Limani, fired once at Mr.
Shetler as he took off running.

Mr. Shetler had been shot in the front of his right shoulder. He told police he
ran after the shooting and swam across the Conemaugh River, where he lost his
rifle, which was later recovered.

He was later picked up on nearby Power Plant Road, where they found Mr. Shetler
walking, and was taken into custody without incident.

Officer Reed served for about 2 decades in Seven Springs, according to St.
Clair Capt. Donald Hess. Capt. Hess said Officer Reed also worked in
Hooversville and Seward boroughs. For about 5 years, he worked part-time for
St. Clair, which assists in neighboring New Florence.

(source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

SOUTH CAROLINA:

Upstate lawmaker to reintroduce bill to allow firing squad executions in SC

South Carolina Rep. Josh Putnam (R, Piedmont) said he plans to reintroduce a
bill to add firing squads to the execution methods in South Carolina.

Putnam first introduced the bill in 2015 but the legislation didn't pass. He
said the new bill would be almost identical to the prior one but he feels it's
important for creating dialogue about death penalty options in the state since
lethal injections cannot be carried out at this time.

"We can't carry out death penalties in the state and we need a solution,"
Putnam said.

Putnam said the inability to execute inmates is causing issues for solicitors
dealing with victims' families. Many families want solicitors to push for the
death penalty, but the state does not currently have the ability to execute
them, Putnam said.

"Many people don't understand the problems this is causing," Putnam said.

The lawmaker said other solutions, such as bringing back the electric chair,
are being considered, but Putnam argues that the firing squad may be the most
viable solution going forward.

"There is a lot of data that shows firing squad is the most effective and most
humane way of putting someone to rest," he said.

Putnam said Tuesday that he plans to reintroduce the bill in the state house
within the next few days.

(source: foxcarolina.com)

FLORIDA----impending execution

Condemned killer seeks to block execution

With a scheduled execution little more than 2 weeks away, attorneys for death
row inmate Eric Scott Branch appealed to the Florida Supreme Court on Monday
after an Escambia County circuit judge refused a request for a stay.

Branch, now 46, was sentenced to death in the 1993 sexual assault and murder of
University of West Florida student Susan Morris.

Gov. Rick Scott last month scheduled Branch's execution for Feb. 22. In seeking
the stay in circuit court, Branch's attorneys argued, in part, that Branch was
21 at the time of the murder and that brain development continues into the
mid-20s.

They argued people in their early 20s are "cognitively comparable to juveniles
under the age of 18," Judge Edward P. Nickinson III wrote Thursday in an order
denying the motion for a stay.

The argument was based on a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that barred the death
penalty for people under age 18 because it would violate an Eighth Amendment
ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

But Nickinson wrote that the U.S. Supreme Court ruling had established a
"bright line" of age 18.

"This Court must construe the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment
in conformity with decisions of the United States Supreme Court," Nickinson
wrote.

Branch's attorneys last week also asked the Florida Supreme Court for a stay of
execution while he appeals another issue to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Florida Supreme Court had not ruled on that request as of Monday afternoon.

Trial begins for man accused of murdering 16-year-old

Alexandria Chery was in her bed with a big blanket the last time her mother,
Rosalie Joseph, saw her alive, Joseph testified Monday.

Joseph was the 1st witness in the murder trial of Sanel Saint-Simon, Joseph's
partner of 11 years, who raised Alexandria and is now accused of brutally
killing her. Saint-Simon faces the death penalty if convicted.

Alexandria was 16 - on summer vacation from Olympia High School between 10th
and 11th grades - when she went missing July 28, 2014.

That morning, Joseph said she woke up at 6 a.m., brushed her teeth and drove
Saint-Simon to his 7 a.m. shift at a Boston Market.

Joseph drove back home and started getting ready for work. She woke her
daughter because she wanted Alexandria to come with her to work and help clean
hotel rooms so she could finish faster, she said. But Alexandria wasn't feeling
well.

"She said, 'Mom, I have a headache, I can't go,'" Joseph said through a Haitian
Creole interpreter Monday. Joseph said she has lived in the U.S. since 1992 and
speaks English but feels more comfortable speaking Creole.

Joseph left her daughter some medicine and went to work, she said.

About 9:30 a.m., she got a call from Saint-Simon asking if Alexandria was with
her, Joseph said. She told him the teenager was home sick. Security camera
footage showed him leaving work at about that time, though he later told Joseph
and Orange County deputies he was at work all day.

Joseph tried calling her daughter all day to see if she was feeling better, she
said Monday. Alexandria never answered. She also couldn't reach Saint-Simon.

Joseph's sister, who worked at the hotel with her, told her everything was
probably OK, Joseph said Monday.

"She said, 'Rosalie, you're keeping too strict of a watch on her. She's just
sleeping, let her sleep,'" Joseph said, wiping her eyes with a tissue on the
witness stand.

By the time she came to pick him up from work about 5 p.m., Saint-Simon was at
a Publix across the street from the Boston Market.

When he got into the car, she noticed an injury on his hand. He said he got
hurt opening a box at work, Joseph said. She didn't ask him any more questions.

"I was already mad at him because I couldn't get ahold of him all day," she
said.

As soon as they got home, Joseph went into Alexandria's room to check on her.
She found the room in disarray - sheets stripped off the bed, dresser drawers
pulled out with all the clothes missing and an empty closet, she said.
Alexandria was nowhere to be seen.

"It looked like someone had moved and left the house," she said.

She screamed. Saint-Simon came to Alexandria's room, looked at Joseph, looked
at the room and left the apartment, she testified.

Alexandria's body was found four days later, in what Assistant State Attorney
Ryan Williams called a "shadowy, insect-filled grave" on the Osceola-Polk
county line.

"The defendant took steps to ensure his carefully laid plan was carried out,"
Williams said in his opening statement.

Defense attorney Peter Schmer asked the 18 jurors, chosen over 2 weeks of jury
selection, to pay close attention to the evidence in the case.

"There are holes in the state's case that create reasonable doubt. This is not
such an open-and-shut-case as that state would have you believe," he said.

Testimony will continue Tuesday. The trial is expected to last about a week. If
jurors convict Saint-Simon of 1st-degree murder, they will return in April to
decide whether he should be sentenced to death or life in prison.

(source: OPrland Sentinel)

******************

An odd rationale for Supreme Court death penalty reviews

Decisions have been coming out of the Florida Supreme Court so quickly the past
two weeks, they???re starting to read like form letters. Life-or-death form
letters.

Since Jan. 22, the court has rejected more than 70 requests from death row
inmates to have their sentences reviewed by a jury. Mind you, these aren't just
random prayers from desperate prisoners.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 2 years ago that Florida's longtime method of
handing down punishments in capital cases was unconstitutional. So, naturally,
condemned inmates were suddenly eager to have their sentences reviewed and,
possibly, changed to life in prison.

And the Florida Supreme Court supports that. Up to a point.

And that point is June 24, 2002.

The court has basically drawn a line on a calendar when it comes to whether
prisoners get a chance to argue that their constitutional rights were
infringed.

"It???s not honest. It's not proper," said Stephen Harper, director of the
Florida Center for Capital Representation. "There are a number of people who
will not get relief even though they have very strong cases."

Here's the basic issue:

Florida used to have juries vote on whether to recommend a death sentence, and
then allowed a judge to make the final decision. When faced with a similar
situation in a case in Arizona in 2002, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that
judges should not be making that call.

It took 14 years, and another U.S. Supreme Court decision, for Florida to
figure that out. The Legislature has since passed a law requiring a unanimous
jury verdict for a death sentence. Where it gets tricky is the retroactive
issue.

The Florida Supreme Court has essentially said the state screwed up by not
paying attention to the Arizona case, and thus any death row cases from 2002-16
should be subject to review.

That makes sense. The sentences, after all, were unconstitutional.

But so were the cases prior to 2002, right?

"The Florida Supreme Court's decision to make the rule retroactive to some
people but not others, finds absolutely no support in anything that I'm aware
of anywhere in the country," former Stetson law professor and current U.S.
Court of Appeals Judge Michael Allen told a Florida legislative committee last
year. "It really is like being pregnant. You either are pregnant, or you're
not. There is no middle.

"A constitutional rule is either retroactive to people, or it's not. Because
the result of this is truly strange."

You want strange? Consider this scenario: 2 juries recommend death. One by a
7-5 vote in May 2002. Another by an 11-1 vote in July 2002. The defendant from
May is out of luck. The defendant in July could be re-sentenced.

If you were suspicious, you might even wonder if the decision had anything to
do with the practical matter of re-doing hundreds of sentences. The state
already will have to review about 150 cases post-2002, and would have about 200
more if pre-2002 cases were considered.

A bill (SB 870) is scheduled to be heard in a Senate judiciary committee this
morning that would expand the number of retroactive cases, but it's hard to
imagine the Legislature going down that road.

Meanwhile, the Florida Supreme Court has its own version of fair play.

(source: John Romano, Tampa Bay Times)

****************************

Man convicted of murder makes 1st resentencing court appearance

The Florida Supreme Court overturned Renaldo McGirth's death sentence after
rulings that such sentences made final after June 24, 2002, must come from
unanimous jury decisions. In McGirth's 2008 trial, the jury voted 11-1 for
death.

A Marion County man convicted of murder and attempted murder made his 1st
appearance in local court Monday to begin his resentencing process.

Renaldo Devon McGirth, 29, wearing an orange jumpsuit with a white long-sleeve
undershirt, sat at the defense table while attorneys and 5th Circuit Judge
Jonathan Ohlman discussed the next steps in his resentencing. The Florida
Supreme Court overturned McGirth???s death sentence more than a year ago after
sweeping rulings that death sentences made final after June 24, 2002, must come
from unanimous jury decisions. In McGirth's 2008 trial, the jury voted 11-1 for
death.

Ohlman told McGirth he would work on appointing a new attorney to represent the
defendant in future proceedings. All parties decided to meet again in March
with the new defense attorney, but did not set an exact date. McGirth waived
his appearance at that court date, saying he wished to return to the Department
of Corrections.

State Attorney Brad King is the prosecutor in this case.

McGirth murdered Diana Miller and shot her husband James Miller, both of The
Villages, while robbing them at their home in 2006. McGirth shot Diana Miller
once in the chest and once in the back of the head. He also shot James Miller
in the back of the head, but the man survived and was able to crawl out a
bedroom window to get help.

The search for McGirth and his co-defendants ended in a high-speed car chase.
McGirth also stole $259.

Death penalty cases have two trial phases: guilt and penalty. In the guilt
phase, a jury of 12 people decides whether the defendant is guilty of the
1st-degree murder charges. If they convict the defendant, the same jury will
sit for the penalty phase and decide whether the defendant is sentenced to
death or life in prison without the possibility of parole.

McGirth's conviction still stands, but he must have a new penalty phase to
decide whether he will remain on death row or receive a reduced sentence of
life.

He is 1 of 4 Marion County death row inmates that have been granted
resentencings over the past year, one of whom had the sentence reduced to life.

(source: The Ocala Star Banner)

MISSISSIPPI:

Teen pleads guilty in death of boy found in stolen car

A Mississippi teen is pleading guilty to reduced charges in the killing of a
6-year-old boy who authorities say was inside a car stolen from a supermarket
parking lot.

D'Allen Washington, 18, pleaded guilty Monday to accessory after the fact to
the kidnapping of Kingston Frazier, and to an unrelated robbery charge.

Warren Martin, Washington's lawyer, says Washington has agreed to testify
against others in the case. Madison County District Attorney Michael Guest
tells local media that Washington's testimony should help prosecutors seek the
death penalty against Byron McBride, who authorities say shot and killed
Frazier.

Martin says Washington will be sentenced March 26. He says prosecutors
recommend he spend 15 years in prison.

A 3rd teen, Dwan Wakefield, faces juvenile charges that could be upgraded to
adult charges.