Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Dec 31 08:33:58 CST 2018

December 31

IRAN----female execution

Woman Hanged in Iran

Iranian authorities have executed a woman on murder charges, according to
reports by several Iranian media outlets. No information regarding time and
place of the execution was revealed in the reports.

On December 26, the state-run news website Young Journalists Club reported that
Noushin, a 25 years old woman, has been executed on the charge of murdering her
husband. However, Rokna website had published a similar story on December 22,
and the format of the news implies that the execution took place on the same
day, that is, December 22.

According to the reports, Noushin who was interviewed just before the
implementation of the death sentence, said: “I was seeing Soheil. He seemed a
nice guy to me and I believed that his claimed-wish to marry me is real. I
started a relationship with him. However, he was not the person I thought I
knew. After a while, he asked me to have sexual relations with his friends and
threatened that he will publish our private pictures on social media if I
refuse to do so. I could hardly tolerate his dirty demands more than a month.
Finally, I decided to kill him and I did.”

Noushin was reportedly executed shortly after the interview was made.

According to Iran Human Rights annual report on the death penalty, 240 of the
517 execution sentences in 2017 were implemented due to murder charges. There
is a lack of a classification of murder by degree in Iran which results in
issuing a death sentence for any kind of murder regardless of intensity and
intent.

(source: Iran Human Rights)

IRAQ:

Iraq sentenced 616 foreigners for IS links in 2018

Iraq sentenced more than 600 foreigners including many women and dozens of
minors in 2018 for belonging to the Islamic State group, the judiciary said on
Monday.

Iraq declared "victory" over IS at the end of 2017 after a 3-year war against
the jihadists, who once controlled nearly 1/3 of the country as well as swathes
of neighbouring Syria.

Around 20,000 people suspected of links to IS have been arrested since 2014.

Judicial spokesman Abdel Sattar Bayraqdar said Monday that "616 men and women
accused of belonging to IS have been put on trial" in 2018 and sentenced under
Iraq' s anti-terrorism law.

They comprised 466 women, 42 men and 108 minors, he said.

Bayraqdar did not, however specify the punishments.

Under Iraq's anti-terrorism law courts can issue verdicts, including death
sentences, against anyone found guilty of belonging to the jihadist group,
including non-combatants.

In April, judicial sources said that more than 300 suspects linked to IS had
received death sentences and more than 300 others were sentenced to life, which
in Iraq is equivalent to 20 years.

Most of the women sentenced for IS links were from Turkey and republics of the
former Soviet Union.

3 French citizens -- 2 women and a man -- have been sentenced to life
imprisonment while a German woman, a Belgian man and a Russian man have been
sentenced to death.

Many women had travelled to Iraq with their children to join their husbands who
fought in the ranks of IS.

Some are still waiting to be repatriated to their home countries.

On Sunday, 30 Russian children whose mothers are in prison in Iraq for links to
IS were flown from Baghdad to Moscow as part of a repatriation programme
championed by Chechen strongman Ramzan Kadyrov.

(source: al-monitor.com)