[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, GA., OHIO, TENN., NEB., ARIZ., US MIL.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Aug 2 10:01:51 CDT 2018

Aug. 2

TEXAS:

Testimony ends for death sentence appeal; final live arguments still to be made

Testimony has been concluded in the latest appeal in the case of Micah Crofford
Brown, convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death by lethal injection
in connection with the 2011 shooting death of his ex-wife Stella Michelle "Doc"
Ray, a Caddo Mills Independent School District teacher.

A final decision in the case is not expected for a few more months, according
to 196th District Court Judge Andrew Bench.

Both sides rested their cases Friday in the evidentiary hearing, meaning all
evidence had been presented concerning Brown's latest appeal. Bench said
attorneys will now await opportunities to review an official transcript of the
hearing before presenting their "facts and conclusions of law."

Bench said once those documents are presented to his court, he will schedule a
hearing for both sides to present their final live arguments before he makes a
ruling in the appeal.

Brown was transferred from state prison to the custody of the Hunt County
Detention Center for the hearing and remained in the jail Monday.

Brown, of Greenville, was convicted in May 2013 and sentenced to death by
lethal injection. He does not have an execution date scheduled.

Testimony during the trial indicated Ray was shot and killed in Greenville on
the night of July 20, 2011 as the result of a dispute with Brown concerning the
couple's 2 children.

After the conviction and death sentence were upheld by the Texas Court of
Criminal Appeals, a post conviction writ was filed on Brown's behalf in 2015 by
the Office of Capital Writs, a state agency charged with representing
death-sentenced persons in state post-conviction habeas corpus and related
proceedings.

The 124-page document listed multiple alleged issues with Brown's conviction
and sentence, including ineffective assistance by the trial and appeals defense
attorneys, improper arguments by prosecutors during the punishment phase, and
failure to present evidence during the punishment phase that Brown suffers from
an autism spectrum disorder, a developmental disorder that affects
communication and behavior, which may have mitigated the jury's decision to
issue the death penalty.

During Brown's capital murder trial, Ray's mother said her daughter had worked
as a teacher for Caddo Mills ISD for 2 years, but had just earned her doctorate
degree and was planning on taking a professorship at a college in Marshall.

Donna Ray said her daughter was planning to stop by her residence on the night
of the murder, the day before she was to move to Marshall.

During the trial, Brown's defense counsel, Toby Wilkinson, said the shooting
came as the result of a dispute between Brown and Ray concerning the couple's 2
small children, who were inside the vehicle Ray was driving on the night she
was killed.

(source: roysecityheraldbanner.com)

************************

Texas Decides to Execute Despite a Victim's Son Calling for Forgiveness

14 years ago, Mitesh Patel lost his father Hasmukh in a robbery-murder at the
family's store in San Antonio. The man who killed his father, Chris Young, was
sentenced to death. Leading up to Young's execution last week, Patel called for
Texas officials to halt Young's execution and replace his death sentence with
one of life without parole. His calls fell on deaf ears, and the state executed
Young.

Patel's decision to push for clemency shows how the death penalty can betray
what justice means to victims' families.

Patel is in fact just a couple of years older than Young, and, reflecting on
the case in the days before Young's execution, he drew parallels between his
own life and Young's. They are both men who had lived without fathers. Young
lost his father to murder when he was only 8 years old and joined a gang not
long after that.

Patel realized that his father's influence in his life growing up was a key
part of his successes in life - something Young didn't have. He also knew that
the Chris Young today was not the same person who killed Patel's father 14
years ago. He knew Young had changed, that he was remorseful, that he had
supported his daughters, counseled other young people, found solace in his
Christian faith, and made a difference to other prisoners on death row.

Patel, a father now himself, did not want to play any role in taking Chris away
from his daughters. Heeding his own father's words that 2 wrongs don't make a
right, Patel saw little difference between Young's intentional killing of his
father and Texas's intentional killing of Young.

Patel's reflections continued, and they bent away from the government
responding to a killing by killing another. Patel knew his grief for his father
would remain the same whether Young lived or died. He said before the
execution, "Killing Chris doesn't change my path, my history. It only affects a
whole other set of people."

But sadly, Patel's compassion and informed call for forgiveness for Young fell
on deaf ears at the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles and with Gov. Greg
Abbott, who denied his plea for clemency. On July 17, the state of Texas
executed Chris Young.

This isn't the 1st time Texas has ignored the voices of victims.

Mitesh Patel's call for forgiveness, not heard by Texas authorities, is
tragically similar to those of many families of murder victims, including
another Texas crime victim, Rais Bhuiyan. Mark Stroman was sentenced to death
in Dallas for killing 2 people whom he thought were Arab-Americans after the
9/11 terror attacks. Rais Bhuiyan was the 3rd victim, shot in the face in the
attack, who miraculously survived.

Drawing on his Muslim faith - and the very identity that had made him a target
of Mark Stroman's in the first place - Bhuiyan called for forgiveness. He
pushed to meet with Stroman before his execution and asked state authorities to
sentence him to life. Like Patel's, Bhuiyan's pleas were ignored by the Board
of Pardons and Paroles and then-Gov. Rick Perry.

Texas executed Mark Stroman on July 21, 2011, almost exactly 7 years to the day
from Young's execution this month. Patel and Bhuiyan's stories are stark
reminders that the criminal justice system too often ignores victims who oppose
execution.

These victims' voices opposing vengeance must be heard in the criminal justice
system. We need reforms that will ensure rehabilitation and reconciliation are
valued and promoted. As Rais Bhuiyan said, "In order to live in a better and
peaceful world, we need to break the cycle of hate and violence."

Patel courageously pushed the state of Texas for compassion and forgiveness and
asked that something better than Young's execution comes of his father's death.
As Mitesh Patel knew, presciently, with Young's execution, little if anything
was gained, but another father was lost.

Let us follow in the brave footsteps of Patel and Bhuiyan in calling for the
criminal justice system to do more than kill. Vengeance is not justice. That
the system ignores victims who call for forgiveness and redemption shows that
it is truly broken and, in doing so, spotlights yet again that it is in the
name of justice that we must abolish the death penalty.

(source: Anna Arceneaux, Senior Staff Attorney, ACLU Capital Punishment
Project)

*******************************

Houston cop killer gets execution date for 1988 slaying

A Harris County judge on Tuesday signed a death warrant for a man convicted of
killing a police officer 3 decades ago in a botched robbery at an adult
bookstore.

Robert Mitchell Jennings is now scheduled to meet his end in the Huntsville
death chamber on Jan. 30, the 1st Texas execution on the calendar for 2019.

It's the 2nd time in 3 years the 60-year-old with claims of mental impairment
has faced a date with death, and this time police union officials and the
victim's family looked on tearfully as Judge Denise Collins told Jennings of
his fate.

"The murder of my father has hung over my family like a black cloud," said
Tyesha Beller, the daughter of slain officer Elston Howard. Now, she said,
she's hoping for closure - and Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg wished
for an end to the family's suffering.

"Robert Mitchell Jennings has been on death row longer than Officer Howard was
alive," Ogg noted in a statement. Howard was 24 at the time of the murder.

The high school dropout on death row has never claimed innocence in the 1988
slaying, but defense lawyer Randy Schaffer has doggedly fought to keep him
alive with requests for a lesser sentence in light of Jennings' horrible
childhood, mental impairment and apparent remorse - as well as his 1st lawyer's
failure to raise those issues at trial.

"The criminal justice system promises equal justice under the law to every
defendant," Schaffer wrote in May. "The system is measured, not by how it
treats the best among us, but by how it treats the worst. Robert Mitchell
Jennings has not received equal justice under the law."

After his client shuffled in front of the bench Tuesday shackled in a yellow
jail jumpsuit, Schaffer argued that the execution date was premature in light
of pending appeals.

"I understand why the state is requesting an execution date - because it's
election season," he added, drawing a terse question from the judge.

But to Houston Police Officers' Union president Joe Gamaldi, the decision to
schedule an execution hasn't come soon enough.

"It is absolutely ridiculous that it has taken over 30 years to get to this
day," he said after the court hearing.

On July 19, 1988, HPD vice officer Elston Howard walked into the Empire
Bookstore to write a ticket.

His undercover partner had just busted the store owner showing pornographic
films without a permit and, wearing his vice raid jacket, Howard followed him
inside to fill out the paperwork. He called for a squad car to take the man
downtown to booking and was still standing behind the counter when Jennings
burst in.

The robber spotted the police jacket and started shooting. 2 bullets hit Howard
in the neck. He tried to flee but collapsed, according to court records.

Jennings shot him 2 more times as he lay face down.

Afterward, he demanded money, and the clerk handed over his wallet and cash
from the register.

Jennings ran outside and hopped in a getaway car. But the driver, upon learning
his accomplice had just killed a police officer, turned and shot him in the
hand. Jennings dove out the car window and got himself to a hospital, where he
was arrested and offered a written confession.

He was sentenced to death in 1989.

"It always feels good to see that justice is done," said Johnny Holmes, the
longtime former district attorney who prosecuted the case. "And I think in that
case, justice was done."

The condemned killer, who'd grown up in poverty, had a long criminal history
including juvenile crimes and past prison sentences. He was born the child of
rape, and his drug-addicted mother openly resented him, frequently telling him
she did not want him, according to court records.

"He never had a chance," Schaffer said.

In 1978, a psychologist found that he had an IQ of 65 and mild organic brain
dysfunction, including damage caused by a childhood injuries - one from a
rollover car crash and the other from a baseball bat. But there was also
evidence Jennings was malingering, or at the least exaggerating his symptoms to
delay court proceedings.

During Jennings' original trial, his attorney was defending 2 capital cases at
the same time and didn't do enough to investigate and bring up those claims,
Schaffer argued, so the jury heard little about reasons to consider a life
sentence rather than death.

They also didn't learn about his display of remorse just after his arrest and
only heard from 1 witness who spoke on his behalf, a jailhouse chaplain who
swore Jennings was a changed man.

In 2012, he won a new trial on punishment, but a higher court reversed the
decision. 4 years later, he got his first execution date - though the Texas
Court of Criminal Appeals stayed it with days to go.

"You want maximum due process because it is the most important of all possible
cases," prosecutor Josh Reiss, who oversees the district attorney's
post-conviction division, said outside of court Tuesday. "But Mr. Jennings has
had all the due process he is due."

Jennings still has litigation pending with the Court of Criminal Appeals.

(source: Houston Chronicle)

Executions under Greg Abbott, Jan. 21, 2015-present----35

Executions in Texas: Dec. 7, 1982----present-----553

Abbott#--------scheduled execution date-----name------------Tx. #

36---------Sept. 12---------------Ruben Gutierrez---------554

37---------Sept. 26---------------Troy Clark--------------555

38---------Sept. 27---------------Daniel Acker------------556

49---------Oct. 10----------------Juan Segundo------------557

40---------Oct. 24----------------Kwame Rockwell----------558

41---------Nov. 7-----------------Emanuel Kemp------------559

44---------Dec. 4-----------------Joseph Garcia-----------560

45---------Jan. 30----------------Robert Jennings---------561

(sources: TDCJ & Rick Halperin)

GEORGIA:

Death penalty trial might be held elsewhere

Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit Superior Court Judge Alison T. Burleson has given
prosecution and defense attorneys a date of Aug. 13 to submit information to
her concerning a possible change of venue in the death penalty trial of Ricky
Dubose.

Burleson handed down that date during a hearing Wednesday morning in Putnam
County Superior Court in Eatonton following comments made by Ocmulgee Judicial
Circuit District Attorney Stephen A. Bradley, lead defense attorney Gabrielle
Pittman, and assistant defense attorney Nathaniel Studelski

The assistant defense attorney told Burleson that the defense team wasn't
prepared Wednesday to argue the matter related to the motion about pre-trial
publicity related to the Dubose case.

Studelski explained that the defense team was working with 2 experts who had
been hired - 1 who is involved specifically with providing information related
to the amount of media coverage given to the case. He identified that person as
Cindy Champion.

The other person is Jeffery Martin, who is looking into getting up a list of
the types of counties that have similar demographic makeup as that of Putnam
County.

"I know there was a great deal of news coverage regarding this case," Pittman
told Burleson, who said she thought that particular motion was going to be
argued Wednesday.

"I thought that was the whole point of setting it a month or so out is that we
were going to do that today as obviously that dictates whether we're moving and
where we're moving," Burleson said. "And of course that potentially shifts
trial dates depending on whether we're staying or going and that kind of
thing."

The judge said she thought that was one of the seven motions that were expected
to be heard Wednesday.

"Your honor, I think this may be confusion and part of this is caused because
we don't have any written responses from the state," Pittman said. "We're
unable to identify what their position is, and that presents difficulties for
us in preparing."

Pittman said she thought that particular motion was for the purpose of
discussion, as opposed to having a full hearing in which both sides would
present arguments.

"We need to know are they (district attorney's office) close to a venue change
or are they in favor of a venue change," Pittman said. "For us to employ and
bring experts into a hearing we need to have an answer as to where they stand
and what their intention is."

Bradley said the state's position has never changed on the topic.

"I've been waiting to hear; I've read the defense's motion at great length, and
I have looked at the law that applies and there are a number of factors that
have to be considered by this court, by the state, by everybody," Bradley said.
"I've been waiting to hear why the defense thinks that we cannot get a fair
jury here. I understand the basics of the argument. I'm curious what their
theory is. We don???t need a whole hearing, and I don't think we need any
evidence, but I would like to hear what their argument is so we can see if we
can craft locations."

Bradley pointed out that a lot of time had been spent with looking at numbers
of similar sized counties to make sure that craft something that is a good
selection based on the defense's criteria.

Although no actual county has yet been named, several counties have been
mentioned as possible sites for the murder trial.

Studelski said the short list of 5 possible counties at this time included:
Worth, Grady, Toombs, Coffee, and Glenn.

"We still need, obviously, more time," Studelski said, noting that the defense
was working with Jeffery Martin in regards to the most suitable county for the
upcoming trial in another county.

Burleson pointed out that she understood.

The judge then asked the prosecution team of Bradley, Chief Assistant District
Attorney Allison Mauldin and Assistant District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale if
they had done any research as to some of the counties they feel might be
suitable.

Bradley, meanwhile, named the following counties as possible sites, based on
similar demographics to those of Putnam County: Glenn, Montogomery, Toombs,
Emanuel and Grady.

"Glenn, certainly," Bradley said. "It's larger, but it's very similar
demographically."

Bradley noted that 3 other counties, Toombs, Montogomery and Emanuel all have
some similarities.

"And Grady County, I think, is a possibility, although I don't know if they
have the resources to accommodate as well as some of the others, but all of
those are a possibility," Bradley said.

Burleson said she could see there were some commonalities in the lists between
the prosecution and defense teams.

"Would it be helpful for me to give you all time to see if you can confer, and
I need to do my own research, too, now that I do have your suggestions,"
Burleson asked.

Bradley said he didn't know that there was an agreement, but that he and the
prosecution team were certainly willing to talk with the defense team.

Pittman said she would like to have the opportunity to talk with the state
about it.

Burleson said she believed it was important to establish a deadline.

"And y'all need to have an agreement," Burleson said, noting that the
prosecution and defense teams might consider getting together and talking about
this Thursday and Friday.

"Today is August 1, and if y'all can let me know by Monday, Aug. 13, if y'all
have a consensus on what county, and then if not, we'll know we have to have
some earlier conversation about that," Burleson said.

The judge suggested the best way to do that would likely be through a letter
with Dubose being sent a copy of it, too.

Burleson instructed attorneys on both sides to establish a preference of their
top three counties "and then we'll see where we go from there."

The 25-year-old Dubose is accused of having shot to death 2 state corrections
officers during an escape from a state prison transport bus on June 13, 2017.

The slain officers were Sgt. Curtis Billue, 58, and Sgt. Christopher Monica,
42, both of whom were assigned to the transportation department at Baldwin
State Prison in Milledgeville. The 2 men lived in Milledgeville.

Family members of both officers again attended Wednesday's hearing for Dubose,
who sat at the defense table with his attorneys and only occasionally looked
behind him at those in the courtroom. Dubose wore tan colored pants, and a
light blue dress shirt. His feet were shackled from the time he was escorted
into the courtroom until the hearing concluded and then in a transport vehicle
back to the Georgia Diagnostic and Class Prison near Jackson, where he is being
held.

Dubose is charged with the 2 counts of malice murder, 2 counts of felony
murder, 1 count of motor vehicle hijacking, and 1 count of felony escape. His
co-defendant in the case, Donnie Rowe, now 44, also is charged with the same
offenses. Like in the case of Dubose, Bradley is seeking the death penalty.
Dubose and Rowe will be tried separately.

The 2 men escaped from a state prison transport bus, as it was traveling from
Hancock State Prison through Putnam County and en route to the state prison in
Butts County.

(source: The Union-Recorder)

********************************

Prison that held 1st Georgia electric chair being torn down

A central Georgia county is tearing down an old, empty prison that was home to
Georgia's 1st electric chair and was linked to an infamous lynching.

The 2-story brick building that anchored the Georgia State Prison Farm in
Milledgeville is being torn down by Baldwin County, to the outrage of some
locals and history buffs.

Demolition of the structure on Georgia 22 began last week.

Built in 1911, the prison was Georgia's main correction facility for more than
2 decades. Beset by chronic overcrowding, it was replaced by the Reidsville
prison in the mid-1930s.

In 1924, the Milledgeville prison housed Georgia's 1st electric chair, dubbed
"Old Sparky." That same year, Howard Hinton, 22, was the 1st of 162 Georgia
prisoners to die by state-ordered electrocution at the prison, according to a
state Department of Corrections history of Georgia's death penalty.

The penitentiary's numerous occupants included Bill Miner, an infamous
stagecoach and train robber who was confined there until his death in 1913.

But its most notorious link was with the 1915 lynching of Leo Frank, a Jewish
factory superintendent who was tried in Atlanta amid a climate of anti-Semitic
prejudice and convicted of murdering a 13-year-old girl. Frank was abducted
from the prison and later lynched near Marietta, nearly 120 miles away. It was
unclear if the kidnappers, many of them well-to-do Marietta citizens, had help
from inside the prison. Frank was posthumously pardoned by the Georgia State
Board of Pardons and Paroles in 1986.

No official public announcement was made about the demolition, Baldwin County
Manager Carlos Tobar said in an email.

The building was beyond repair and would've cost over $5 million just to
stabilize, county commission chairman Tommy French said in a press release that
was sent out after demolition began.

Baldwin County acquired the historic prison in 2013 when it failed to sell at a
tax sale.

Edwin Atkins, who had organized a Facebook group dedicated to preserving the
building, is one of the local residents distraught over its demolition. He said
locals were unaware of the demolition until someone happened to drive by.

"It's part of my family history, but more than that, it's part of Georgia's
history," Atkins said. His great-grandfather, the Rev. Edwin C. Atkins, was the
prison chaplain. During his 14-year stint there, he preached sermons to the
convicts and prayed with death row inmates before their executions. He
maintained a detailed journal of daily occurrences in the prison, which Atkins
still keeps today as a family heirloom.

Atkins was part of a grassroots effort to save the prison and the inmate
artwork, much of it religious, that was still visible on its walls. Atkins
recognizes the grim history of the prison, especially the disproportionate
number of black prisoners who were put to death there, but calls it a "landmark
in capital punishment."

"If you don't respect and promote your past, you don't know where you're going
in the future," Atkins said.

Historian Hugh Harrington called the disrepair of the prison a "major failing"
on the county's part. Harrington is the author of 3 books on Milledgeville's
history.

"I think as a society, we need to know what came before us," Harrington said.

Members of the Milledgeville community are currently raising funds for a museum
at the site of the Central State Hospital Depot. Baldwin County would "love" to
donate the cornerstone of the prison to them, Tobar said. A historic marker for
the prison will also be placed on site of the prison.

Clayton man sentenced to death in murder of childhood friend has motion
denied----The former Northmont High School student sentenced to the death
penalty for crimes involved in the murder of a childhood friend had his motion
for reconsideration denied by the Ohio Supreme Court.

Austin Myers, 23, had asked the court to take another look at the case despite
a 7-0 ruling on May 17 that affirmed his convictions and the imposition of the
death penalty.

Myers was convicted in the death of Justin Back, 18, at Back's home outside
Waynesville in January 2014. Investigators said Timothy Mosley actually stabbed
Back to death, but that Myers concocted and instigated the robbery that turned
into murder.

The ruling filed Wednesday and signed by Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor read,
"It is ordered by the court that the motion for reconsideration in this case is
denied."

Myers is scheduled to be put to death on July 20, 2022. The court previously
denied Myers' attorneys' attempts to get Myers' sentenced changed to life in
prison without parole - the same sentence Mosley is serving.

Back, 18, was a 2013 Waynesville High School graduate who was going to enter
the U.S. Navy in less than 2 weeks at the time of his death.

After Myers' original sentencing, Back's mother, Sandy Cates, said, "It's
bittersweet. It's justice for Justin, but it's never going to bring Justin
back."

Testimony showed Myers planned the crime, including acquiring septic chemicals
he expected would decompose Back's body, but that Mosley killed Back during a
struggle on the floor of the kitchen after a garrote designed to choke Back to
death caught on his chin.

Myers and Back were friends until 8th grade, when Myers moved to Clayton.
Testimony indicated Myers was the one who decided they should target Back's
home, unaware the family safe contained only $70 at the time.

Myers' attorneys, Timothy McKenna and Roger Kirk, wrote in their motion to
reconsider that the state's highest court's analysis "was flawed and ignored
critical facts" and that Myers' death penalty sentence "is patently unfair when
the actual killer received life without parole."

McKenna and Kirk didn't immediately respond to a message seeking comment.
Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell didn't return a message seeking
comment but has said before that he anticipated the defense to appeal to the
U.S. Supreme Court.

(source: Dayton Daily News)

TENNESSEE----impending execution

Execution of convicted East Tennessee killer could see another delay

Convicted killer Billy Ray Irick may see yet another delay in his date with
death, pending an appeal over the 3-drug lethal injection method.

"It's been a very cumbersome, lengthy legal journey," defense attorney Greg
Isaacs said.

Irick was sentenced to death in the rape and murder of 7-year-old Paula Dyer in
1985. At the core of the defense's argument is Irick's mental state.

"This has been well documented when he was extremely young," Isaacs said. "He
had in patient treatment for his mental disease or defect. However, it didn't
rise to the level of an insanity defense that the jury found viable."

Attorneys could lean on this challenge once again to save Irick's life.

Irick's attorney filed a motion for stay in the upcoming Aug. 9 execution. This
comes after a judge last week upheld the state's use of controversial lethal
injection combination.

"The defense team in a capital punishment case are going to challenge
everything," Isaacs said. "They're going to challenge the means and methods of
execution in Tennessee. They're going to challenge our lethal injection drugs."

Attorneys for 33 death row inmates are asking for a less painful method of
execution, claiming the state's proposed 3-drug method would amount to torture.

The appeal has since been filed, prompting what could delay the decades-long
case even longer.

"The best case scenario if you're Irick is you want that stay," Isaacs said.
"You're praying, you're hoping, watching... your lawyers are there. Everybody's
on the phone. That's what you're hoping for, that's what the defense team is
hoping for, so it's going to be a very tense few days."

If his execution goes as planned, it will mark the 1st scheduled capital
punishment in Tennessee since 2009.

(source: WATE news)

NEBRASKA----female faces death sentence

State will seek death penalty for Bailey Boswell in slaying of Sydney Loofe

State prosecutors revealed Wednesday that they will seek the death penalty for
Bailey Boswell in the slaying of Lincoln store clerk Sydney Loofe.

If Boswell, 24, is found guilty of 1st-degree murder and is sentenced to death,
she will be the 1st woman on Nebraska's death row in history, according to
State Department of Corrections records.

Loofe disappeared in November after going on a date with Boswell that was
arranged online.

The 24-year-old store clerk's body was found 3 weeks later, dismembered and
wrapped in black plastic bags, in a rural area in south-central Nebraska, about
an hour's drive west from where Boswell was living in Wilber, Nebraska.

Authorities had already announced that they were seeking the death penalty for
Boswell's 51-year-old boyfriend, Aubrey Trail.

Trail, in calls to media, has claimed that he alone was responsible for Loofe's
death, saying he accidentally choked her to death during a sexual fantasy and
that Boswell was out of the room at the time.

The Nebraska Attorney General's Office has alleged that 2 aggravating factors
exist to justify the death penalty for Trail: that the slaying exhibited
"exceptional depravity" and that Trail had a substantial past history of
violent crimes.

In the filing Wednesday, the AG's office alleged 1 aggravating factor for
Boswell, that the slaying was especially heinous.

Boswell's court-appointed attorney, Todd Lancaster of the Nebraska Commission
on Public Advocacy, declined to comment on Wednesday's development.

Boswell, 24, is a former standout basketball player from Leon, Iowa. She
crisscrossed the country with Trail, trading in antiques. They were frequent
visitors to casinos and resorts, according to Trail.

Initially the pair - in video messages posted on social media - denied
involvement in Loofe's death. Later, though, Trail changed his story in calls
to the media. Boswell, according to authorities, has not talked with
investigators since being arrested, with Trail, in Branson, Missouri.

Boswell is scheduled to next appear in the murder case in Saline County
District Court on Monday. She and Trail are also scheduled to be sentenced on
Friday in federal court in Lincoln for defrauding a Kansas couple out of nearly
$400,000 in a scam to buy a rare coin overseas.

Attorneys representing Trail and Boswell on Tuesday evening were allowed to
inspect property the pair left behind at the basement apartment in Wilber they
had rented. Ben Murray, Trail's court-appointed attorney, said that the items
reminded him of things you'd find at a farm auction, such as antiques and old
comic books.

He said that "shackles" listed as part of the property appeared to be antique,
and not something that would be used to bind someone.

(source: Omaha World-Herald)

*********************************

State moves forward with execution plans

The state of Nebraska is preparing for its 1st execution of a prisoner in 21
years. Only 2 weeks remain until the day that Carey Dean Moore is to be put to
death.

The execution is polarizing, some saying to let the man die, others who want to
stop the execution.

One of the most vocal opponents in Nebraska is state senator Ernie Chambers.

Chambers has been fighting the death penalty politically for almost as long as
Moore has been on death row.

One of the issues some opponents have is that the State has not revealed the
makers of the 4 drugs being used for lethal injection.

Senator Chambers recently asked the company Pfizer to take the State of
Nebraska to court if corrections is using 1 of Pfizer's drugs.

In a statement, Pfizer said: "Our records do not show any sales of any
restricted products to the Nebraska Department of Corrections. We are again
asking the Nebraska Department of Corrections to return any Pfizer restricted
product."

Chambers is continuing to research ways to stop the execution.

Sharon Johnson questions the impact of the drug cocktail as it has never been
used before a state execution.

"I don't think the drugs have been proven, what if instead of a drug death it
makes them a vegetable?"

Others like Jim Singletary say life in prison is punishment enough.

"If there are folks who want to split hairs and say electrocution is more
harmful than putting someone to sleep with drugs, then I can understand that
argument. To me, it's all cruel and unusual."

While some senators oppose the execution, 61 % of Nebraska voters wanted the
death penalty in the state.

The execution is scheduled for August 14th.

(source: WOWT news)

***************************

2 more companies say they don't want their drugs used in Nebraska execution

2 more pharmaceutical companies have notified Nebraska officials that they
don't want their drugs used in a lethal injection scheduled to take place in
less than 2 weeks.

Whether the manufacturers will back up their words in court remains to be seen,
but such a legal challenge represents one of the last ways to potentially
derail the Aug. 14 execution of double-murderer Carey Dean Moore.

Representatives of Sandoz Inc. and Hikma Pharmaceuticals said Wednesday that
they have not yet confirmed whether the Nebraska Department of Correctional
Services has obtained their products. Nebraska officials have repeatedly
refused to disclose the source of the 4 substances they intend to use in the
state's 1st lethal injection execution.

In the meantime, Michelle T. Quinn, general counsel for Sandoz North America,
has said we "reserve all of our rights to take necessary legal action to ensure
the proper use of our medications." The statement was contained in a Monday
letter addressed to Nebraska's governor, attorney general and corrections
director.

Messages left after 5 p.m. with press officers for Gov. Pete Ricketts and
Attorney General Doug Peterson were not returned Wednesday night. A spokeswoman
for corrections said the department would take the 4 days allowed under the
public records law to respond to a request for the letters sent by the drug
companies.

The sequence of drugs Nebraska plans to use in Moore's execution are diazepam,
a sedative known more commonly as Valium; fentanyl citrate, a painkiller linked
to the national epidemic of opioid addiction; cisatracurium besylate, a
paralyzing agent that can stop breathing; and potassium chloride, which can
trigger heart attack in high doses.

Sandoz is one of several manufacturers of cisatracurium, while Hikma
Pharmaceuticals is one of several makers of fentanyl.

Some death penalty opponents view a lawsuit by a drug manufacturer as one of
the last avenues to delay the 1st execution in Nebraska in 21 years. That's
largely because Moore, who has spent 38 years on death row, has not mounted his
own legal fight to block the execution.

Recent events in Nevada lend credence to the view. Alvogen, a different
drugmaker, prompted a last-minute delay of a July 11 execution in that state.
Like Moore, the Nevada inmate also has said he wants his execution to be
carried out.

London-based Hikma successfully joined the Nevada lawsuit on Monday after
learning that corrections officials there had obtained the company's fentanyl.
Nevada officials bought the drug through a 3rd-party distributor even though
the company repeatedly said it didn't want its products used for capital
punishment, the company alleged in a legal document filed this week.

In addition to being the first 2 states trying to use fentanyl in an execution,
Nebraska and Nevada also hold contracts with Cardinal Health, a 3rd-party drug
distributor. Legal filings in Nevada say Cardinal Health sold the 2 disputed
drugs to Nevada prison officials.

Steven Weiss, a spokesman for Hikma, said Wednesday that the company has
recently asked Nebraska officials to do 2 things. First, tell the company if
the state government possesses any drugs manufactured by Hikma. And if so,
provide an official affidavit pledging that the drugs will be used only for
legitimate patient care.

"We are disappointed that these efforts in Nebraska have been unsuccessful to
date," Weiss said.

Weiss declined to say Wednesday whether the company will file a lawsuit to seek
the return of any drugs Nebraska may have obtained. But the company has offered
to refund the cost of drugs Nebraska purchased for the execution.

Earlier this week, an official for Pfizer renewed a demand the company first
made in October that Nebraska return any Pfizer drugs purchased for capital
punishment. Corrections officials have not responded to the demands.

Pfizer, which makes fentanyl, diazepam and potassium chloride, has ruled out
taking legal action to force the return of the drugs.

The four-drug protocol planned by Nebraska has never been used in an execution.
Death penalty opponents say that raises the possibility of a botched execution
and unnecessary suffering for the inmate in violation of the U.S. Constitution.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Nebraska and state newspapers have sued
to compel public disclosure of the source of the drugs. A district court judge
ordered the information released, but the order was put on hold after the
attorney general appealed.

Moore, 60, was sentenced to death row for the 1979 shootings of Omaha
cabdrivers Reuel Van Ness and Maynard Helgeland. He is the longest-serving of
the state's 12 condemned inmates.

(source: Omaha World-Herald)

ARIZONA:

After 23 Years on Death Row, Barry Jones Sees His Conviction Overturned:
Arizona Must Retry or Release Him Immediately----Barry Jones insisted upon his
innocence for more than 2 decades. A federal judge just threw out his
conviction.

After more than 23 years insisting upon his innocence while living on Arizona's
death row, Barry Lee Jones had his conviction thrown out by a federal judge on
Tuesday. In a 91-page order filed from Anchorage, Alaska, U.S. District Judge
Timothy Burgess found that the verdict in Jones's 1995 trial was the product of
a "rush to judgment" by law enforcement, whose "lack of due diligence and
thorough professional investigation" was compounded by the failures of Jones's
defense attorneys. Absent such failures, he wrote, "there is a reasonable
probability that his jury would not have convicted him of any of the crimes
with which he was charged and previously convicted." Burgess ordered that Jones
be immediately retried or released.

The order is a sharp rebuke to the Arizona Attorney General's Office, which has
stubbornly defended Jones's conviction even as its theory of the crime has
fallen apart. In a state that has exonerated 9 people from death row,
prosecutors fought to preserve Jones's conviction, relying on procedural
barriers while showing indifference to the grave flaws in the case. That Jones
was able to overcome such barriers is extraordinary on its own - and further
proof of the rot that pervaded the case at every stage. Burgess's order comes
five months after an evidentiary hearing revealed stunning neglect on the part
of his defense attorneys at both the trial and post-conviction levels - and
profound tunnel vision by Pima County Sheriff's Detective Sonia Pesqueira, who
led the investigation.

Jones, now 59, was convicted and sentenced to die for raping and murdering his
girlfriend's 4-year-old daughter, Rachel Gray. The child died from a blow to
the stomach, which tore her duodenum, part of her lower intestine, leading to a
fatal condition called peritonitis. Jones was arrested shortly after dropping
off the child and her mother, Angela Gray, at the hospital early in the morning
on May 2, 1994. But the evidence against him was flimsy, based on a narrow
window of time during which he'd been seen with Rachel in his van on the
afternoon of May 1. A pair of 8-year-old twins would say they saw Jones hitting
her while driving the vehicle, and drops of blood in the van and on his clothes
were used as proof that Jones had raped the little girl. But there was no other
evidence to support this. Investigators never even collected the clothing
Rachel wore that day.

At the evidentiary hearing in Tucson last fall, Pesqueira, who has since
retired, conceded that Jones became her sole suspect within hours of seeing
Rachel's body at the hospital - and that she never investigated the timing of
Rachel's fatal injury, merely assuming it had occurred the day before she died.
Prosecutors nevertheless maintained that Pesqueira "followed the evidence of
guilt for Rachel's injuries, and that road led directly to Jones," while
insisting that the quality of her work was irrelevant, since the question at
hand was whether Jones's defense attorneys were constitutionally ineffective in
violation of his Sixth Amendment rights. "Law enforcement has nothing to do
with this case," Assistant Arizona Attorney General Myles Braccio argued at an
oral argument in March.

Burgess disagreed. Pesqueira's failures were inextricable from those of Jones's
defense attorneys, he found. "There were several significant red flags that
should have objectively and reasonably alerted counsel to the need to
investigate the evidence regarding the timing of Rachel's injuries," Burgess
wrote. Among them was evidence of alternate suspects, such as Jones's
girlfriend, who was "a serial abuser of her children," as Assistant Arizona
Federal Public Defender Cary Sandman reminded the court last spring. At the
evidentiary hearing, Pesqueira seemed clueless when shown statements alleging
that Gray had hit her children and thrown them down the stairs. "That would
have been a good thing to have," she said.

That the evidence no longer supported Jones's conviction was clear long before
the hearing took place, however. In a letter to Jones's attorneys last year,
the attorney general's office wrote that the current Pima County medical
examiner "did not dispute the conclusions of your experts." These experts have
long argued that Rachel's injuries predated the window presented by the state.
Renowned pediatric pathologist Janice Ophoven, who first looked at the case in
2002, has insisted for years that Arizona's theory of the crime was impossible.
At the evidentiary hearing, Ophoven explained how Rachel's abdominal injury
developed over time, with the severity of her illness unclear until it was too
late.

Burgess clearly found the defense's experts compelling, while remaining
unconvinced by the ever-shifting opinions of the state's key witness, former
Pima County Medical Examiner John Howard, whose estimates regarding Rachel's
fatal injury have been bewilderingly fluid since he first handled the case back
in 1994. "Dr. Howard's inconsistent answers are plain in the differing
testimony he provided on direct examination, on cross-examination, and during
examination by the Court during the evidentiary hearing," Burgess wrote.

"Contrasting the evidence presented at trial with the evidence that could have
been presented at trial" made clear that Jones's trial was unconstitutional,
Burgess found. While he did not address the issue of innocence explicitly, the
new evidence "undermines considerably the confidence in the outcome," he wrote.

A Maze of Procedural Barriers

In a lengthy investigation into the Jones case last year, The Intercept
reviewed thousands of pages of trial transcripts, police records, and
investigative reports that revealed several hallmarks of wrongful convictions.
2 jurors from Jones's original trial expressed misgivings about the outcome,
telling The Intercept that they had been disturbed by the weak defense Jones
received. One juror, Hildegard Stoecker, was particularly troubled by the case.
"It lessens my faith in the judicial system," she said.

Despite the egregious flaws in Jones's conviction, procedural barriers might
easily have led to his eventual execution. Among the considerable obstacles was
the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act, passed one year after Jones
was sent to death row. If not for a 2012 U.S. Supreme Court decision in a
different Arizona case, Martinez v. Ryan, the law might well have prevented any
chance for Jones to show the evidence casting doubt on his conviction. Under
AEDPA, if attorneys failed to bring a claim of ineffective assistance during
state post-conviction proceedings, that claim was forever barred from being
heard in federal court. But Martinez carved out a "narrow exception," as
Burgess noted, holding that if such a claim was itself the result of
ineffective lawyering by post-conviction counsel, a defendant should have a
chance at relief.

The ruling was a lifeline for Jones. "Before Martinez, our office lost many,
many, many ineffective assistance cases because the claims were never raised in
the state court," Sandman said. "If Barry's initial appeal in the 9th Circuit
had moved a little more rapidly, it could have been decided before Martinez and
he might have been executed."

"The evidentiary hearing is the key," said Dale Baich, supervising attorney of
the Arizona Federal Public Defender's Capital Habeas Unit. "All our clients
really want is one fair opportunity to have a full, fair hearing at the
post-conviction level." But such chances are exceedingly rare. Even under
Martinez, there was no guarantee of a hearing. If there was any reason for
Jones to feel optimistic about his chances before the ruling, it was that
Burgess granted an evidentiary hearing at all. Even then, ineffective
assistance claims are notoriously hard to win. Under the U.S. Supreme Court
case Strickland v. Washington, Jones had to show, 1st, that his attorneys had
provided an unconstitutionally inadequate defense, and 2nd, that the outcome of
his trial would likely have been different absent their failures. In his order,
Burgess spent considerable detail explaining why Jones met the burden demanded
by Strickland.

The state of Arizona has shown contempt for the resources Jones's current
lawyers have devoted to his case. "With a seemingly limitless budget, full-time
counsel, investigators, support staff, and a horde of new experts, Jones has
spent the past 15 years re-investigating his case," prosecutors argued in a
January filing. At the evidentiary hearing, Braccio and Assistant Attorney
General Lacey Gard repeatedly contrasted the money spent by Sandman and his
colleagues with the comparatively slim resources of Jones's original attorneys,
arguing that the lawyers could not be considered ineffective for having limited
funds.

Burgess flatly dismissed the notion. "The Court rejects any suggestion by
Respondents that trial counsel's deficient pretrial investigation be excused on
the grounds that funding for investigators and experts was lacking or
inadequate," he said. In fact, with regard to the failures of Jones's
post-conviction attorney, James Hazel, Burgess drew a parallel to the case of
Anthony Ray Hinton, in which the Supreme Court found "counsel's failure to
request additional funding for an expert was unreasonable and constituted
deficient performance." Hinton was exonerated from Alabama's death row in 2015.

"Right on Time"

On Tuesday afternoon, Jones's legal team gathered in a conference room in their
Tucson office to call Jones. "They don't get short-notice phone calls very
often," defense investigator Andrew Sowards said. "He kind of knew something
was up." Upon hearing the news, he said, "there was a sense of relief in
Barry's voice I've never heard."

In an email, the Arizona Attorney General's Office told The Intercept that it
had no comment on the order. If the state does not initiate a retrial within 45
days, Jones must be released. As they wait for the state to signal its next
move, Jones's legal team is reaching out to his family members, many of whom he
has not seen in decades. In his time on death row, his 3 children have grown up
and have kids of their own. Speaking to The Intercept over the phone last year,
Jones said he felt like an emotional burden on them. "I'm hurting everybody out
there by being here. I've got to live with that. That's not easy." Decades of
severe isolation have taken their toll, not to mention the 33 executions
carried out in Arizona since 1995, when Jones was sent to death row. "They've
killed friends of mine," he said.

The ruling came "right on time," Sandman said. "He was really struggling." As
Sowards says, "It's a tough life for a guy with that kind of conviction in any
prison - especially on death row." For 23 years, Jones has been seen as a child
rapist and murderer. To be able to return to his unit to share the news was
powerful vindication of what he has insisted all along: that he did not commit
the crime that sent him to die.

Sowards himself was emotional over the decision. He joined the Arizona Federal
Public Defender's Office in 2008, just as Jones's initial federal habeas
petition had been denied. In the years that followed, he uncovered critical
information that had been withheld by the prosecution at trial. Like all the
members of Jones's legal team, Sowards believed in his innocence.

To Sylvia Lett, Jones's former federal habeas attorney, it was a stroke of good
luck that the case fell to Burgess. Speaking to The Intercept last year, she
had a hard time remembering when a federal district judge in Arizona granted
relief in a death penalty case during the years she represented Jones. "It took
a district judge from Alaska having the guts to say, 'Hey, wait a second,
there's something wrong here,'" Lett said.

"It just seems like this judge got it," Sowards said. "He saw the state's
investigation for what it was, which was shoddy, the defense investigation for
what it was, which was nonexistent, and he said, 'That's not fair.' And that's
how it's supposed to work."

(source: theintercept.com)

US MILITARY:

Former Wisconsin airman spared again from the death penalty in double homicide
conviction

A former senior airman from southwest Wisconsin has been spared the death
penalty for a 2nd time on a double homicide conviction and will instead spend
the rest of his life behind bars.

A military panel last month resentenced Andrew Witt to life in prison without
parole in connection to the deaths of a fellow airman Andrew Schliepsiek and
his wife, Jamie Schliepsiek, the La Crosse Tribune reported.

The 36-year-old was convicted of murder and sentenced to death in 2005. But a
military appeals court vacated the ruling in 2016, and returned the case to a
lower court.

Witt's attorney said the life sentence was delivered last month, but
prosecutors again sought the death penalty.

Maj. Christopher Goewert said the defense presented evidence of a traumatic
brain injury that Witt suffered months before the attack. He said the defense
also showed that Witt has had good behavior during the 14 years he's spent in
prison.

Witt's family testified that he's remained a central part of their lives and
has provided emotional support despite being incarcerated.

Witt also provided a statement expressing remorse and apologizing to the
victims and their families, Goewert said.

"The crime was aberrant behavior and was a perfect storm of
events/problems/stressors," Goewert wrote. "As his life had value to others,
mercy was appropriate."