Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Apr 19 08:41:17 CDT 2018

April 19

MALAYSIA:

Security personnel sentenced to death for trafficking in 1.4kg ganja

A security personnel was sentenced to death by the High Court today for
trafficking in1.4kg of ganja 4 years ago.

Judicial Commissioner Datuk Ahmad Shahrir Mohd Salleh ruled that the defence
had failed to raise a reasonable doubt in the prosecution's case.

Wan Mazri Pak Wan Teh, 40, was found guilty of committing the offence at a
house at Kampung Sulup, Teluk Kumbar about 1.30am on May 11, 2014.

He was detained inside a room in the house and police recovered the drugs, a
weighing scale and also a small plastic bag.

He was charged under Section 39B of Dangerous Drugs Act for trafficking
dangerous drugs, which carries a mandatory death sentence upon conviction.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Lim Cheah Yit prosecuted while lawyer Maanveer Singh
Dhillon represented the accused.

After the sentence was read out Maanveer urged the court to sentence his client
to lifetime imprisonment instead of the death penalty.

He said that according to the amended Dangerous Drugs Act, the court had the
discretion to sentence the accused to lifetime imprisonment, if four
requirements were met.

"Out of the 4, my client had fulfilled 2. Firstly, there was no proof that my
client was buying and selling drugs at the time of the arrest, and secondly, he
has assisted an enforcement agency in disrupting drug trafficking activities,"
he said.

Ahmad Shahrir however upheld his decision.

The accused looked calm when the sentence was read out before he was escorted
out of the court by the police.

His father was present to hear the court's decision.

Outside the courtroom, Maanveer said he would appeal against the decision.

(source: nst.com.my)

INDIA:

Farooq Abdullah wants capital punishment in Kathua-like cases----The NC
president said India and Pakistan should eradicate terrorism in J&K through
dialogues.

Former chief minister of Jammu & Kashmir and National Conference (NC) president
Farooq Abdullah on Wednesday said his party would bring a law to award capital
punishment in Kathua like cases, if it came back to power in the state.

Abdullah was in Amritsar to pay obeisance at the Golden Temple. Commenting on
the Kathua rape case, Abdullah said, "It is painful that an 8-year-old girl was
brutally gang-raped and killed."

"On one side, we respect women, treat girl child as a goddess and kiss their
feet, but on the other side such incidents bring shame to us. Kathua like rapes
are happening all over India just because our government fails to make any
stringent law against rapists. We attained independence from foreign powers,
but the country is still victimised by such crimes."

Abdullah's comments came in the wake of the Kathua rape case, in which an
8-year-old nomadic girl was allegedly abducted, drugged, gangraped, tortured
and killed.

(source: Hindustan Times)

*****************

Unnao effect: UP to write to Centre seeking death penalty for rapists

The Uttar Pradesh government will ask the Centre to amend existing laws to
ensure death penalty to rapists, Chief Minister Adityanath said Wednesday.

"It is necessary that rapists get strict punishment. We are going to send a
letter to the Centre to make necessary amendments to award capital punishment
to rapists," Adityanath said according to a release issued here.

The comments, made in a meeting called to review law and order, come in the
backdrop of a massive outrage over Unnao and Kathua cases. A BJP MLA, Kuldeep
Singh Sengar, stands accused of rape in Unnao in UP while a minor was allegedly
killed after being raped in Kathua in J&K.

Adityanath said the state government had a zero-tolerance policy against
crimes.

"From beat constable to the SP - all should be made accountable and answerable.
The senior officials should keep an eye and ensure immediate action against
those found guilty of laxity," he said.

The chief minister emphasised that crime against women should be checked and
1090 women power line should be strengthened and the 'anti-Romeo squads' should
also be associated with them.

"The police should also do foot patrolling and establish dialogue with people.
Those having dubious past should not be made SHOs," he said.

(source: tribuneindia.com)

BERMUDA:

Death penalty needed for drug dealers

Dear Sir,

There are 2 situations that need to be urgently addressed in Bermuda today.

The punishment for selling drugs should be the death penalty. Selling is
selling death, the sooner we wake up to the reality of what that sentence will
achieve, the fewer lives will be lost.

The 2nd vitally important law that must be passed by legislation is a fine so
great that nobody would dare to drink and drive: the loss of the car! The car
can be redeemed and sold for charity.

I realise that we are not a dictatorship so these sentences will be hard to
introduce, but as God in his wisdom gave us a choice, we too have the choice!

So, if we decide to drink and drive, we choose to lose our car if we get
caught.

These sentences will be on the books sadly some time, not and never soon
enough.

Years ago I was ridiculed for saying people should be banned for smoking in
public places!

Diana Williams

(source: Letter to the Editor, The Royal Gazette)