[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----ALABAMA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Oct 19 21:58:25 CDT 2017

Oct. 19

ALABAMA----execution

Alabamna executes Torrey Twane McNabb

Following last-minute court challenges, Alabama carried the execution Thursday
evening of Torrey Twane McNabb, convicted of killing a Montgomery police
officer in 1997.

McNabb's attorneys filed appeals in the case throughout Thursday to halt the
execution that was set for 6 p.m. at the Holman Correctional Facility in
Atmore. the last stay was lifted between 8 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. McNabb's official
time of death was 9:38 p.m.

McNabb's final words were:

"Mom, sis, look at my eyes. I'm unafraid ... To the state of Alabama, I hate
you motherf***ers. I hate you. I hate you."

A brief portion of his final words was unintelligible.

McNabb becomes the 3rd condemned inmate to be put to death this year in Alabama
and the 61st overall since the state resumed capital punishment in 1983.

McNabb becomes the 21st condemned inmate to be put to death this year in the
USA and the 1463rd overall since the nation resumed executions on January 17,
1977.  The USA carried out 20 executions last year, and currently there are 6
executions scheduled nationwide in November and 1 in December.

(sources:  al.com & Rick Halperin)