Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sat May 20 08:15:15 CDT 2017

May 20

SOMALIA:

Somalia military court executes Al-Shabaab militant

Somalia's military court on Thursday executed Al-Shabaab militant who was found
guilty for carrying out a terror attack in Waberi district in November last
year.

The car bomb attack, which was carried out on November 26, 2016, left at least
30 civilians dead and 43 others injured.

Deputy Prosecutor of the military court, Mumin Hussein Abdullahi, said the
intention of the suspect was to carry out suicide attack but security forces
arrested him before the explosion.

"The court sentenced Abdukadir Abdi Hassan to death penalty," Abdullahi said,
noting that the suspect was executed him by firing squad.

(sources: Xinhua/NewsGhana.com.gh)

SINGAPORE----execution

Singaporean drug trafficker executed at Changi Prison for heroin offence

Singaporean drug trafficker Muhammad Ridzuan Md Ali, 31, was executed at Changi
Prison on Friday (May 19), having exhausted all avenues of appeal following his
conviction in 2013.

Ridzuan had been found guilty in the High Court of trafficking in 72.50 grams
of pure heroin and sentenced to death by the High Court on April 10, 2013.

The Misuse of Drugs Act provides for the death penalty if the amount of
diamorphine trafficked is more than 15 grams.

The Central Narcotics Bureau said yesterday that 72.50 grams of diamorphine is
equivalent to about 6,004 straws, which is sufficient to feed the addiction of
about 864 abusers for a week.

"This is estimated using a typical purity level of four per cent, based on drug
seizures in recent years. The number of straws made may vary according to the
purity level of the heroin," added CNB.

His appeal against conviction and sentence was dismissed by the Court of Appeal
on Feb 27, 2014 but in April that year, Ridzuan sought leave from the High
Court to start judicial review proceedings against the Public Prosecutor's
decision not to grant him a certificate of substantive assistance.

The High Court dismissed the application on July 17, 2014 and in Oct 2015, the
Court of Appeal rejected his appeal.

On Jan 8, 2016, Ridzuan took his case to the Court of Appeal for the third time
by way of a criminal motion for the Court of Appeal to review its decisions on
his appeals, on grounds that the Misuse of Drugs Act provisions under which he
was sentenced to death were unconstitutional.

The apex court dismissed the criminal motion on Dec 2, 2016. He submitted a
petition for clemency to the President which was unsuccessful.

"Muhammad Ridzuan was accorded full due process under the law, and he was
represented by legal counsel throughout the process," said the CNB.

(source: New Straits Times)

*******************

EU statement contradicts S'pore Govt's claim that death penalty is "deterrent"
to crime

There is no evidence that the death penalty is a deterrent to crime, said the
European Union Delegation to Singapore on Thursday.

The statement, issued together with the EU Heads of Mission and the Head of
Mission of Norway, was in response to the plea by anti-death penalty advocates
on the then impending execution of Muhammad Ridzuan on Friday morning.

It was a last-minute attempt by the activists, who had also written to the
Singapore President, to save Ridzuan's life after he had been sentenced to
death for trafficking in heroin into Singapore.

The appeal was denied and Ridzuan was hanged on Friday morning.

The Singapore Government's defence of the death penalty for drugs (and other
crimes such as murder) has always been based on the claim that it deters
criminals and crime, even though there has not been conclusive proof of such
effect.

This, however, has not dissuade Government ministers from making such claims
each time the issue is debated.

For example, in 2012, when Parliament was debating changes to the Misuse of
Drugs Act (MDA), Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean told the House that:

"Singaporeans understand that the death penalty has been an effective deterrent
and an appropriate punishment for very serious offences, and largely support
it."

A recent research by the National University of Singapore (NUS), however, found
that support for the death penalty was more "nuanced".

For example, the research found:

"Although 70 % of those surveyed said they were in general favour of the death
penalty, very few expressed strong views either way, researchers said. Of those
in favour, just 8 % said they were strongly in favour; of those that were
against it, just 3 % said they strongly opposed." (CNA)

The survey also found that there was "weak support for the mandatory death
penalty for drug trafficking and firearms offences in particular, where no
death or injury had occurred."

Yet, the Singapore Government continues to make 2 claims - 1st, that the death
penalty is a "strong deterrent", and 2nd, that Singaporeans support it.

EU statement

The EU, on its part, "holds a principled position against the death penalty and
is opposed to the use of capital punishment under any circumstances."

"No compelling evidence exists to show that the death penalty serves as a
deterrent to crime," it said in its statement.

"Furthermore, any errors - inevitable in any legal system - are irreversible.
The EU will continue in its pursuit of the abolition of the death penalty
worldwide."

Ridzuan

Muhammad Ridzuan's case is particularly troubling because he was arrested and
charged for the same crime as his accomplice, Abdul Haleem, who was spared the
death penalty because - in the eyes of the Public Prosecutor - Abdul Haleem had
"substantively assisted" the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) in "disrupting"
drugs syndicates within Singapore or outside Singapore.

Ridzuan, for unknown reasons because the Prosecutor is not required to explain
his decision, was deemed not to have "substantively assisted" the CNB, and thus
had no recourse to have his death sentence commuted.

The Prosecutor's decision is made behind closed doors and the law explicitly
states that his decision is not opened to review, even by the Court of Appeal.

Family, friends and supporters had gathered outside Changi Prison on Friday
morning as the execution of Ridzuan was carried out.

(source: theindependent.sg)

BELIZE:

A Debate For the Ages

The last time someone was taken to the gallows in Belize was in 1985 at Her
Majesty's Prison. Fast-forward to the 21st century…capital punishment has
pretty much been written off as archaic and has been abolished in many
countries all over the world. But the Museum of Belize pulled out all the moldy
and cobwebbed books on those death sentences in Belize and brought them to life
in a panel discussion. It was done to celebrate International Museum Day. The
panelists featured Dianne Finnegan from the Apprenticeship Program, she spoke
on the social implications of the death sentence while the legal mind of Senior
Counsel Simeon Sampson weighed in on the prospect of reinstating capital
punishment. We start off with The Director of the Museum Alexis Salazar on
today's activities.

Alexis Salazar, Director, Museum of Belize, House of Culture

"Today is International Museum Day and we are celebrating it today with a panel
discussion based on the theme that ICOM gave to us, ICOM is the International
Council of Museums and they every year…we are a member of ICOM, they send out
the themes and to be in line with that theme which this year is "Saying the
Unspeakable in Museums and then bringing contested History to the Forefront. We
deiced to do a panel discussion on Capital Punishment, the contested history is
that building served as a prison and people were executed here there is
clamoring in Belizean society to bring back the capital punishment so we wanted
to do that contested history and spark that debate in society."

Dianne Finnegan, Mediator

"Because of the nature of my work and working with young people, at risk youths
and now the gangs, I felt that it was an opportunity for me to get my message
across on how far we have come in building these individuals in understanding
their own purpose actually realizing their own self-worth and most of all the
importance of life."

"Even if I wasn't in this line of work, I think just as a human being thinking
about what is the effect and the purpose of doing that, or for killing another
human being uhm it is as if though we are killing someone who killed someone to
let them understand that killing another human being is wrong."

Courtney Weatherburne, 7News

"So In your view it's all about healing its, there is no way it's about capital
punishment or hanging anybody, it's all about healing and the interventions you
have been doing?"

Dianne Finnegan, Mediator

"It's alternative, it's about alternative and we have got to put in place all
different kinds of alternatives to fit what these individuals are
experiencing."

Courtney Weatherbunre

"Are we actually able at this point to actually reinstate capital punishment
where are we in terms of the legal aspect?"

Simeon Sampson, SC - Human Rights Activist

"By the force of international opinion reinstating the death penalty is dead
against us , the global opinion is now going fast forward to abolish the death
penalty or to reduce its application so rein station is definitely off the
books."

So as you heard, it was simply a thought provoking discussion, there are not
any plans to reinstate capital punishment. Saturday the Museum will hold other
fun activities for kids to celebrate International Museum Day.

(source: 7newsbelize.com)