Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Jul 4 09:42:13 CDT 2017

July 4

MALAYSIA:

Family claims brothers' hanging botched, signs of strangulation

The family of brothers Rames Batumalai, 45, and Suthar Batumalai, 40, alleged
that Suthar's body was found to have strangulation marks around his neck area,
the neck was not broken (the neck is broken clean in a proper hanging), and his
face was swelled up.

"We are not contented with the death and how they were executed. Suthar's face
was swollen. He showed signs of strangulation.

"His face was swollen, there were marks on the neck and his eyes were bulging,"
sister-in-law B. Devi told a press conference this morning.

Both brothers were hanged to death on March 15 for their 2010 murder conviction
despite the family filing for a clemency petition in late February. The
brothers were charged with murdering a man named Krishnan Raman.

The siblings were also executed on a Wednesday instead of Friday, when hangings
in Malaysia are usually conducted, which raised more questions on whether their
execution was botched.

The family's lawyer, N. Surendran, demanded that the prison authorities and
Home Ministry give a detailed explanation to the family on the way the
execution was conducted and also on why it was done before the clemency
petition's result was known.

"From a legal point of view, both of them were executed without exhausting all
legal processes.

"A prisoner who has been convicted, has the legal right for his clemency to be
considered under constituency. If you don't allow [the] process to finish, you
have breached the law," he said.

The Padang Serai MP also demanded authorities to have an inquiry on the
brothers' execution and answers to be given immediately to the family.

"We are also asking explanation on manner hanging carried out and explanation
on why the neck of Suthar was in that condition. We are entitled to these
explanations as family members.

"We want an inquiry by authorities. I hope the home minister and authorities
respond to this as soon as possible as it is a case of public interest,"
Surendran added.

Amnesty International executive director Shamini Darshini said the brothers'
hanging raised questions on the transparency of the death penalty in Malaysia.

"Legal processes around death penalty is not completely clear. This is clear
indication, it is not (transparent).

"When a person is hanged, there is a science to it. In this case, there are
questions whether execution was correctly done. This seems to indicate a
botched execution," she said today.

She also urged Putrajaya to declare a moratorium to prevent such incidences
from happening in other death penalty cases in the future.

"The death penalty in Malaysia needs to be abolished. We need the government to
put in place a moratorium to prevent this from happening again. That's what we
calling for an immediate moratorium," Shamini said, adding that Malaysia has
over 1,068 people on death row as of March this year.

In the application of clemency previously sighted by Malay Mail Online, the
family had obtained a statutory declaration from the deceased's wife to forgive
the brothers.

Rames and Suthar were sentenced to death in April 2010 under Section 302 of the
Penal Code for murder, after being convicted for the February 4, 2006 murder.

(source: themalaymailonline.com)

BARBADOS:

Hang them----MP calls for death penalty in the wake of St George double murder

Shattered by the gruesome killing of 2 of his constituents, Member of
Parliament for St George South Dwight Sutherland wants the killer or killers to
hang.

Sutherland was a close friend and business associate of Vincent Robinson, 80,
the owner of Prerogative House in Prerogative, St George, who, along with the
caretaker, Guyanese Tony Singh, 49, was slashed to death at the property
sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Robinson's body was found at the front door of the guest house in a pool of
blood, while Singh's body was discovered upstairs in a bedroom.

While Robinson's daughter Joan Smith, who made the horrific discovery, was much
too distraught to talk, a clearly upset Sutherland said it was time to revisit
the issue of the death penalty - which remains in the statute books - and hang
those who commit such monstrous crimes.

"I think that people ought to pay for these murders. You can't just feel
comfortable to sit down at Dodds Her Majesty Prison for 17 years and then
return to society after a crime such as this one," the Opposition Barbados
Labour Party (BLP) legislator said in an apparent reference to the release of
convicted killers who have spent time behind bars.

Last year of Arleigh Hector James, who had been found guilty and sentenced to
hang in 1996 for the murder of his wife and stepdaughter 2 years earlier, and
Adrian Fitzgerald Peter Bradshaw, who had once terrorized Barbados in the
80???s along with infamous criminals Winston Hall and David Oliver, and was
incarcerated back in 1985 for the brutal murder of 74-year-old plantation owner
Cyril Sisnett, were released from jail to the dismay of many Barbadians.

"I think stiffer penalties must be enforced on persons who are found guilty of
these acts of murder and if it takes bringing back hanging to restore our
society then I am all for it.

"I don't see nothing wrong with bringing back some level of peace and quiet and
allowing our citizens to feel comfortable and not be afraid that when they
close the doors at night that someone is out there lurking around," Sutherland
said.

The parliamentarian also called on both Government and Opposition to join
forces in the fight against rising violence, which has gripped the country in
recent times.

"These are some serious times; it calls for unity and it calls for policy
initiatives and it calls for us to sit down as citizens and forget the
politics. Let us unite as the citizens of this country to return Barbados to a
place we can be proud of in terms of a violent-free and incident-free country,"
he added.

The quiet and close-knit community was horrified when news broke that the
bloodied bodies of the 2 men were discovered in the quaint two-storey guest
house known for hosting weddings, family functions and other events.

Smith was numbed by what she found when she arrived at her father's residence
around 10 a.m. Sunday.

While friends tried to make sense of the share butchery, Robinson's daughter
hugged herself and simply stared into the house.

Mike Hayde was one of Robinson's close friends who rushed to the murder scene
as soon as he got the news.

Hayde told Barbados TODAY he was at a church service when his friend Cyril
Codrington rang him.

He missed the 1st call, but realized something was amiss when Codrington rang
again.

"When Cyril called me a second time I had to get up and finally come outside to
answer. Cyril told me we have some serious problems here at Prerogative House.
He said someone broke into the house and killed Vincent and Tony," Hayde said,
his breathing betraying a mix of pain and anger.

Just last Friday the 3 men had gathered on the same porch, at the same window
that was smashed and possibly used by the killer or killers to enter the
building.

The men often spent their evenings relaxing on the veranda, engaging in
conversation until the sky darkened.

Hayde said he failed to understand why someone would commit this heinous act
against such a kind and generous man.

"Vincent is such a nice guy that if you wanted to have a function here, he
would just offer you the place - especially a wake after a funeral - without
any charges or anything. He is a very friendly guy.

"I still cannot come to terms with why a person would want to do something like
this to Vincent. And the hurtful thing about it is ... he just went to America
to bury one of his siblings," he said.

"We have to have this killing stopped somehow or the other. If you do the crime
you should pay the penalty and I strongly believe in that," he aded.

Codrington also was just as conflicted.

He said he and Robinson had been virtually stuck at the hip from the time they
were children.

"To talk about it now is not easy because if it is somebody in the district
that got killed it hurts. But this is personal, very personal. I am hoping to
God that they do get some finality in this murder because it seems as if they
can catch these fellas and find some excuse for them.

"Until we get the person who do these crimes punished and punished to fit the
crime, it is going to happen all the time" Codrington stated.

(source: Barbados Today)

IRAN----executions

4 Prisoners Executed

On Monday July 3, 3 prisoners were reportedly hanged at Isfahan Central Prison
on drug related charges, and a prisoner was reportedly hanged at Zahedan
Central Prison on murder charges.

Close sources have identified the 3 prisoners as Omid Mohammadzadeh, charged
with 1 kilogram of crystal meth, Seyed Reza Mousavi, charged with 800 grams of
crystal meth, and Seyed Reza, charged with an uknown amount of narcotics. "None
of these prisoners had any prior convictions," an informed source told Iran
Human Rights. The 3 prisoners were reportedly transferred to solitary
confinement on Saturday July 1 in preparation for their executions.

Iranian parliament members had formerly requested from the Judiciary to stop
drug related executions for at least 5,000 prisoners pending further
investigation. However, the request has not stopped the Judiciary from carrying
out death sentences for prisoners with drug related charges.

The Baloch Activists Campaign group reported on the execution of a prisoner at
Zahedan Central Prison who was identified as Hossein Reigi, 50 years ago age.
Mr. Reigi was reportedly imprisoned for 7 years before he was executed.

Iranian official sources, including the Judiciary and the media, have not
announced these 4 executions.

***************************

11 Prisoners in Imminent Danger of Execution in Rajai Shahr Prison

11 prisoners in Rajai Shahr Prison were reportedly transferred to solitary
confinement in preparation for their executions.

According to close sources, the 11 prisoners were transferred to solitary
confinement on Sunday July 2 and they are on death row on murder charges. Iran
Human Rights has received confirmation on 5 of their names: Ghahreman
Abbaspour, Reza Neyeti, Seyed Mohammad Seyed Abdollah and Abbas Yousefi.

The human rights news agency, HRANA, has reported that Ghahreman Abbaspour was
sentenced to death for murder based on Qasameh (a testimonial given under oath)
and despite the lack of evidence against him.

Qasameh is one way, within the Islamic jurispudence and criminal law in Iran,
to prove crimes related to murder and physical injuries without enough evidence
against the suspect. Qasameh is used when a judge recognizes a testimony as
louth, when the judge believes the testimonial to be true despite lack of
evidence.

The Iranian state-run news agency, Rokna, reported on the imminent execution of
a prisoner by the name of "Ashkan" for kidnapping and rape charges. According
to Rokna, the prisoner is held at one of the prisons in Karaj. There is a
possibility that this prisoner is among the eleven who were transferred to
solitary confinement in Rajai Shahr Prison.

The Baloch Activists Campaign had reported on the imminent executions of 2
prisoners by the names of Hossein Reigi and Sina Narouie at Zahedan Central
Prison. These 2 prisoners were transferred to solitary confinement on Saturday
July 1, but Sina Narouie was reportedly returned to his cell and Hossein Nouri
was executed on Monday July 3 on murder charges.

(source for both: Iran Human Rights)