[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----MONT., NEB., S.DAK., COLO., UTAH., MONT., ARIZ.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Feb 10 09:37:50 CST 2017

Feb. 10

MISSOURI:

Accused Killer Trenton Forster Could Be Up for the Death Penalty

Justice can be slow. St. Louis County prosecutor Bob McCulloch says in the case
of Trenton Forster, who is charged with killing police officer Blake Snyder,
there's still work to be done before a trial date can be set, including
deciding whether or not this will be a death penalty case.

"We will start working, we're gathering all the information, the reports are
completed, we'll provide ultimately that information to the defense. Everything
we have, they will get," he says.

This week, Forster was arraigned and last week additional charges were added
against him for shooting a 2nd officer. McCulloch says a decision on the death
penalty could come in the next month.

"There's a lot of work that goes into it at that point. We're still considering
all the evidence and making determinations into whether this is a death penalty
case. That determination will probably be made in the next month or so," he
says.

McCulloch was asked if this case is personal, since his father was a police
officer killed on the job.

"It hits a lot closer to home than most others, but it is something that, when
we look at the police, that if someone's going to kill a police officer, an
armed trained police offer, than that's a dangerous person."

McCulloch says there probably won't be a trial date until this time next year.
That's a long time for Snyder's widow, Elizabeth Snyder, to wait.

"It's incredibly tough, you know, it's a reminder everyday of what happened and
what we're having to go through and I just look forward to it being over with,
which it might take awhile, but I look forward to it being done," she says.

(source: KMOX news)

NEBRASKA:

Nebraska State Sen. Kuehn says death penalty opponents have contributed to
shortages of drugs used in surgeries

Some of the same drugs used in operating rooms also are used in death chambers.

State Sen. John Kuehn of Heartwell said Thursday that intersection has factored
into shortages of the medicines needed for surgeries. He blamed the protests
and "harassment" of drug manufacturers by death penalty opponents.

To support his argument, he cited a 2011 letter from the American Society of
Anesthesiologists that said difficulties in obtaining a common surgical
anesthetic targeted for its use in executions had jeopardized the safety of
patients in need of medical procedures.

"How many medical patients will suffer, have less than optimal surgical and
medical care, or die to protect convicted death row inmates?" Kuehn asked
Thursday as he testified in support of his bill that would hide the identities
of those who would supply lethal injection drugs to Nebraska.

Opponents of the secrecy bill said citizens have the right to scrutinize every
detail and dollar spent when it comes to something of the magnitude of an
execution. Spike Eickholt, lobbyist for the ACLU of Nebraska, questioned
whether Nebraskans would support shielding the identify of an abortion drug
supplier who had a contract with the state.

"In government, nothing good happens in secret," he said.

Legislative Bill 661 would change Nebraska's public records law so state
officials could legally withhold any information leading to the identity of an
individual or business that "manufactures, supplies, compounds or prescribes"
execution drugs.

Members of the Government, Military and Veterans Affairs Committee heard public
testimony on the bill Thursday. The committee took no action after the hearing.

Drug secrecy laws are on the books in 15 of the 31 states with the death
penalty, Kuehn said. Texas and Georgia, the states that led the nation in
executions last year, both have the shield laws.

The courts have generally ruled against inmates who've challenged the secrecy
laws. Kuehn said he patterned his bill after the law in Georgia, which was
upheld by that state's Supreme Court in a 5-2 decision in 2014.

Kuehn referred to the 61 % majority of Nebraska voters who supported the death
penalty in November by reversing the 2015 repeal of capital punishment by state
lawmakers. Voters sent a clear message that they want the Legislature to fix
the death penalty, he said.

Sen. Justin Wayne of Omaha, a member of the Government Committee, questioned
Kuehn's assertion that death penalty opponents are to blame for drug shortages.
Was it possible, he asked, that some companies have restricted supplies of
their products because they ethically oppose executions?

Kuehn acknowledged that it was possible. But he argued that his law would make
it possible for those willing to supply the state with execution drugs to be
able to do so without repercussion.

Kuehn also said he has been harassed by death penalty opponents for introducing
the secrecy legislation.

His bill does not extend secrecy to provisions of the execution protocol that
requires laboratory testing of any lethal drugs purchased by the state. The lab
results, along with the identity and quantity of drugs the state intends to
use, would have to be shared with the inmate well in advance of an execution.

Among the 4 people who testified for the bill was Scott Frakes, director of the
Department of Correctional Services. Late last year, the department included a
similar secrecy rule in a draft version of the state's execution protocol but
decided to remove the provision in the final version. The governor recently
signed off on the new procedure.

The state currently has a supply of potassium chloride, 1 of the 3 lethal drugs
required under the previous protocol. But that drug alone cannot be used to
execute because it does not first render an inmate unconscious.

Frakes said he has just recently started the process of contacting potential
drug suppliers but has not made a purchase.

He told committee members that it may be possible to obtain drugs without a
secrecy law but that such a law would remove barriers, making it easier for the
department to carry out a legal punishment. Currently 10 men are on death row
in Nebraska, which last carried out an execution 20 years ago.

"I firmly believe this bill is needed to remove a tool that death penalty
opponents will continue to use to frustrate and stymie the will of the voters,"
Frakes said.

Pierce County Sheriff Rick Eberhardt read the names of some of the victims of
death row inmates as he testified in support of the bill. He told lawmakers
that he and other death penalty supporters will be watching the issue closely.

"This is not about vengeance; it's about justice," he said.

11 organizations and people testified against the bill, including Media of
Nebraska, the League of Women Voters and Nebraskans for Peace.

Lincoln attorney Alan Peterson, who helped draft the public records law in
1979, said the legal requirement for public disclosure of records related to
state expenditures and purchases traces back to the territorial days.

Peterson, who also has long represented a death row inmate, predicted lawyers
for the condemned would use the federal courts to learn the names of the
state's suppliers. Defense lawyers would be obligated, he said, to make sure
the manufacturing or business practices of a supplier weren't grounds for a
stay of execution.

Lancaster County Public Defender Joe Nigro testified on behalf of the Nebraska
State Bar Association. He stressed that the association takes no position for
or against the death penalty but opposes the secrecy bill.

"Because the idea of hiding those involved in making the drugs used to execute
people ... could not be further from the administration of justice," he said.

(source: omaha.com)

SOUTH DAKOTA:

Does death penalty increase violent crime?

Murder rates are higher where there is a death penalty. Judge Glen Severson
said the year before Elijah Page was executed we had two murders on the court
schedule and the year after we started executing again we had 7. Now we have
11. We execute people when they want to get executed. And we delay it when they
do not. Who rules here? The 2 that killed the prison guard, one tried and did
well in school, but with little violence on his record, he gets executed first.
The one that had been a devil since a kid, is still alive. The Governor and
Attorney General always say that those executed are the worst criminals. But
the worst one is still alive. Their talk is just a psychological method to try
to reduce the bad effects of executions.

If the criminals want the death penalty, is it really that bad of a punishment?
Or, would they be more likely to repent and ask forgiveness if they had to
think about it longer. I was there the first time Elijah Page was to be
executed and he was laughing and talking about old times with his girlfriend
and her brother when he had just a few hours left. She was too upset to talk
about it. Giving the criminal an easy way out is not necessarily good or
justice.

Violent crime is going down in America. New York and Los Angeles have murder
rates going down. St. Louis, Chicago, Sioux Falls, and the state of South
Dakota have murder and violent crime going up. I do not think cops are violent
here like St. Louis and Chicago, so I do not see that as the problem. But we
need to look at the death penalty and anything else that might be the cause of
this.

Roger L. Elgersma, Pipestone, Minn.

(source: Letter to the Editor, Argus Leader)

COLORADO:

Should Colorado legislators kill the death penalty, or voters?

A bill to abolish Colorado's death penalty will be considered in the
legislature this session.

Next sat down with 2 Senate Democrats, State Senator Rhonda Fields of Aurora
and State Senator Lucia Guzman of Denver, who is also the Minority Leader.
They're on the same party, and not on the same side of this issue. Guzman would
like to do away with the death penalty in the legislature, while Fields says
that if anything, it should be made into a ballot measure. Fields does have the
power to kill the bill before it gets out of committee.

While both Senators disagree, they, and other Senators, have spent hours having
respectful and thoughtful conversations about the topic.

(source: 9news.com)

UTAH:

Majority of Utahns prefer alternatives to death penalty, according to new poll

A recent poll appears to show the majority of Utahns are not in favor of the
death penalty.

The Utah Justice Coalition, a criminal justice reform group, released the
results of a new poll Feb. 9 that asked, "Of the following list of choices,
which punishment do you prefer for people convicted of murder?"

--9 % of respondents said they prefer life in prison with no possibility of
parole.

--47 % said they prefer life in prison with no possibility of parole and a
requirement that the convicted must work while in prison and pay restitution to
the victims.

--8 % said they prefer life in prison with a possibility of parole after
serving 40 years.

--29 % said they prefer the death penalty.

--6 % said they were unsure.

The Coalition said in its press release that the 64 percent of participants
favoring alternatives to the death penalty reflect "changing attitudes toward
the death penalty by Utah residents." "The death penalty is losing favor in our
state because it wastes tax dollars, is ineffective in stopping violent crime,
and risks possibly killing an innocent person, and none of those things align
with our conservative principles," said said Kevin Greene, Organizing Director
of Utah Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty, a project of the Utah
Justice Coalition.

The poll was conducted by Public Policy Polling of Raleigh, North Carolina and
took place Jan. 13 to 15. Pollsters spoke with 784 Utah voters.

The death penalty in legal in Utah, but only applicable to those found guilty
of aggravated murder. The death penalty is either administered through lethal
injection or by firing squad, according to the Utah Department of Corrections.

(source: KUTV news)

MONTANA:

Abolition of the death penalty in Montana

Now is the time for a significant act of righteousness and to put the
admonition, "thou shalt not kill", into action.

We must act soon to permanently abolish the death penalty in Montana.

Relevant legislation will be introduced to the process in January 2017. Our
great state would be further distinguished by abolition of this archaic
practice. The death penalty is not a large numerical issue in Montana since,
thank God, we have few on "death row." It is, however, big to the few and to
our moral/ethical consciousness. The death penalty is on legal "hold" in
Montana as uncertainty about drugs for lethal injection has become and
continues to be an issue.

The moral/ethical position: Abolish the death penalty because it is the right
thing to do.

"Thou shalt not kill." We need to put this into action related to the violence
worldwide. In few instances do we have the power to control killing, but
abolition of capital punishment is one.

There are rare instances of mistakes. Infrequently persons, who are later shown
to be innocent, have been on death row awaiting execution. Some have, no doubt,
been executed and proven innocent later.

Family and loved ones of victims often favor life imprisonment over death and
find solace in mercy.

The death penalty has not been a deterrent to crime nor is there evidence that
its abolition promotes or facilitates crime.

Is the person convicted and sentenced the same person who awaits execution
often many years after sentencing? It's a privilege given mankind to be able to
change.

Spare the executioner the experience of executing. Imagine such a job.

Another position: Abolish the death penalty because it's the responsible thing
to do.

It costs society more to carry out a death penalty than to maintain a life
sentence in terms of monetary costs of appeals, etc. Proposed is no death
penalty, but life in prison without parole. It would cost less.

Lethal injection is not the merciful means of killing envisioned. About seven
percent are "botched". The availability of drugs used to kill has been an issue
for some time and recently Pfizer's refusal to provide drugs it manufactures to
kill makes a statement.

Not unexpectedly there are pros and cons on these points, but I have chosen the
position that suits my moral conscience. See deathpenalty.procon.org. for a ten
point argument.

For your personal reasons please support efforts to abolish capital punishment
in Montana by: Writing to representatives of your district simply stating your
support for bills abolishing capital punishment.

If you want more information please contact us. We'll try to help.

(source: Valley Viewpoint; Mary Darby and Blaise Favara----Ravalli Republic)

ARIZONA:

Octavia Rogers, mom accused of murdering 3 boys, will face death penalty

Octavia Rogers, the mother accused of killing her 3 sons, will face the death
penalty when she goes on trial, the Maricopa County Attorney's office said
Thursday.

Rogers, 29, allegedly stabbed the 3 boys then dismembered them in June. Police
then say she stabbed herself at their home near Interstate 17 and Bell Road.

The 3 boys were 8-year-old Jaikare Rahaman, 5-year-old Jeremiah Adams and
2-month-old Avery Robinson.

The decision was made a status conference.

(source: NBC news)