[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----MONT., ARIZ., CALIF.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Feb 9 09:02:51 CST 2017

Feb. 9

MONTANA:

Bill abolishing death penalty gains momentum

A bill abolishing Montana's death penalty is gaining momentum this week in
Helena.

House Bill 366 would replace the death penalty with a lifetime sentence without
the possibility of parole.

Bills like this have been introduced before without success, but supporters
this year think it has a chance.

That is largely thanks to new support from several Republicans, led by Adam
Hertz (R-Missoula), who's serving his 1st term in the Montana House.

Hertz said, for him, abolishing the death penalty comes down to 3 things.

"Cost. It's a really, really expensive, ineffective government program." Hertz
said, citing a study that found the death penalty can cost a state many times
more for a state to prosecute than a life sentence.

"Redemption," Hertz said is his 2nd reason. The 3rd, he said, is about being
consistently pro-life.

"I understand that's it's also a generational issue sometimes. I'm not
pressuring anyone to vote against their conscience on this," Hertz said. "Folks
know where they stand on it. I'm here to give them information and let them
know why I support abolition and hope that they see things my way."

After nearly 2 hours of testimony in support of the bill at a panel hearing
last week no one spoke up in opposition. Some have disputed how much money the
bill would actually save.

Hertz expects House Bill 336 to get its 2nd reading on the house floor sometime
next week.

There are currently 2 men on death row in Montana: William Gollehon, sentenced
in 1992, and Ronald Smith, sentenced in 1983.

Both have successfully postponed their executions using the court system.

(source: nbcmontana.com)

ARIZONA:

Death row survivor to speak at The Casa Feb. 20

Shujaa Graham, a death row survivor, is to speak about social justice and his
experiences, Feb. 20 at the Franciscan Renewal Center in Paradise Valley.

After serving 3 years on death row in San Quentin, Calif., Mr. Graham was
exonerated for the 1973 killed of a prison guard, according to a press release.

After 4 trials, he was released from prison in 1981. Now he is a community
organizer, youth advocate and anti-death penalty activist who fights for social
justice and human rights, the release stated.

Mr. Graham's event is 6:30-8:30 p.m. Feb. 20, at the Franciscan Renewal Center,
5802 E. Lincoln Drive in Paradise Valley.

Admittance is $10 per person or $20 per family. Children ages 10 and up are
welcome. Portions of proceeds will support Arizona Death Penalty Alternatives.

(source: Paradise Valley Independent)

CALIFORNIA:

Irvine man who killed mother and brother diagnosed schizophrenic, insanity
defense looms

An Irvine man accused of gunning down his mother and brother at a family home
pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a pair of murder charges.

Nolan Pascal Pillay, 37, is due back in court March 9 in Newport Beach March 9
for a pretrial hearing. He remains jailed without bail.

He is charged with 2 counts of murder with special circumstance allegations of
multiple murders, making him eligible for the death penalty. Pillay also faces
2 sentencing-enhancing gun use allegations.

Police were called about 1 p.m. Jan. 31 to a home in the 14900 block of Crystal
Circle, prompting a temporary lockdown of a nearby elementary school.

The bodies of 58-year-old Gloria Pillay and 35-year-old Arlyn Pillay were found
inside, and the defendant was arrested without incident at the scene, according
to Kim Mohr of the Irvine Police Department.

Neighbors said a man and his 2 sons had lived in the house for about 15 years,
and a person could be heard yelling "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" around the time of
the killings.

Pillay's attorney, Jacqueline Goodman, said her client has been diagnosed with
schizophrenia.

"He's had these racing thoughts that would torture him," Goodman said.

"It's too early for me to know" about whether the defendant will seek an
insanity defense, she said. "But knowing what I do about the seriousness of his
mental illness I would not be surprised" if an insanity defense is mounted.

"His father and everyone in his family so far have been completely supportive
and devastated," Goodman said. "Everyone has remarked on how gentle and
nonviolent he is."

Many of his relatives were flying in from South Africa to support Pillay,
according to the attorney.

Goodman said she hasn't spoken with everyone in her client's family, but of all
the relatives she has been in contact with, no one "blames him, which I think
is very remarkable."

Pillay has a college degree and has tried to hold down a job, but his mental
illness made that difficult, Goodman said. Pillay made a habit of making
breakfast for his father and packing him a lunch for work, she said.

"He would do errands at home, so he was always desirous of being helpful, of
pulling his weight, but he struggled with his mental illness to keep a job."

Senior Deputy District Attorney Keith Burke, who filed the charges, declined
comment.

(source: mynewsla.com)