Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Feb 3 12:15:08 CST 2017

Feb. 4

SRI LANKA:

Sri Lankan President commutes death sentences of 60 inmates to life

Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena has decided to commute the sentences
of 60 prisoners in death row to life sentences prisoners on account of the 69th
Independence Day on February 04.

President Sirisena has taken the decision to spare the lives of the prisoners
based on the recommendations made by a Committee appointed by the Ministry of
Justice and headed by retired Supreme Court Judge Nimal Dissanayake.

The Committee was appointed to review and report whether the death sentences on
death row prisoners should be commuted to life imprisonment. Accordingly, the
Committee has recommended commuting the sentences of 60 prisoners to life
imprisonment effective from February 04.

The death row convicts will be considered for parole only after they served a
minimum sentence of 20 years and their pleas for any relief will be referred to
the parole board once in four years after that.

Although Sri Lankan courts give death penalty in serious crimes such as murder,
rape and drug trafficking, no executions have been carried out since 1976. All
death penalty cases have been commuted to life in prison.

(source: colombopage.com)

INDIA:

Hurriyat calls for Valley shutdown after Kashmiri youth awarded death penalty

The joint separatist leadership has called for protests against the death
sentence of Muzaffar Ahmad, resident of south Kashmir's Kulgam district.

Separatist parties have called for a shutdown today in Kashmir against the
death penalty awarded to a Kashmiri by a West Bengal court.

The joint separatist leadership has called for protests against the death
sentence of Muzaffar Ahmad, resident of south Kashmir's Kulgam district.

Authorities have placed Hurriyat(M) Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq under house
arrest to prevent him from rallying against the court's sentence.

Muzaffar Ahmad is among the 3 militants who were arrested by BSF on April 1,
2007 from Petrapole border for trying to infiltrate the International Border
(IB).

He along with three others have been given a death sentence under Section 121
of IPC for 'waging a war against the nation'.

Muzaffar's family in Kulgam allege unfair trial and said that they couldn't
afford a lawyer to plead their case, hence rendering Muzzafar defenceless.

Protests over the matter were reported from many areas in south Kashmir.

(source: India Today)

BELARUS:

Lukashenko says ready to impose moratorium on death penalty if there is
majority public support

I am ready to impose a moratorium on the death penalty if such a measure is
supported by the majority of Belarusians, Belarus President Alexander
Lukashenko said at the meeting with the members of the public, representatives
of the Belarusian and foreign mass media on 3 February, BelTA has learned.

The head of state noted that he does not have the right to abolish the death
penalty or impose a moratorium on its use because the majority of the
Belarusians voted against abolishing it in the referendum. Alexander Lukashenko
suggested launching a big campaign in the society (including in the parliament,
parties, public associations) to discuss the matter and study all pros and
cons. "If people vote to abolish capital punishment, I will sign the
corresponding decree the same day as the results of the referendum are
announced," the President stressed.

"Every time that a death sentence is awarded, I sign a decree. You have no idea
what it takes. I understand that a man will be gone," the head of state said.
"But before I sign a decree, I study the case file on the man: photographs,
operational materials, etc. When I see them, my blood turns to ice," the
president said.

Alexander Lukashenko cited an example of the recent criminal case of Mogilev
'black realtors' who had been killing people for several years burying them
alive to get their apartments. "They have killed many old men and women... And
what for?" the President stressed.

The issue of death penalty is often politicized, the head of state noted. "I
often tell Europeans: Let's start with America. Will you force them to abolish
the death penalty? Or others from whom you take money, shake hands with? Let's
start with them. These are double standards," Alexander Lukashenko emphasized.

The president recalled that Russia imposed the moratorium a long time ago but
eventually came to regret it. Now they are not abolishing it for a number of
reasons. "Maybe it is bad that we have this moratorium. Or maybe we are right?
Those who have imposed the moratorium are ready to cancel it today. It is just
that they do not know how," Alexander Lukashenko noted.

(source: belta.by)

**********************

Belarus cannot abolish capital punishment - president

Capital punishment cannot be abolished in Belarus, Alexander Lukashenko, the
president of Europe's only retentionist country, said on Friday.

"I have no right to abolish capital punishment as we held a referendum,"
Lukashenko told reporters, referring to the referendum held in 1996 when over
80% of Belarusian voted against abolishing the death penalty.

"If people vote against death penalty, I will sign the moratorium," the
president said, accusing Europe of double standards.

"Let's begin with America, make them abolish capital punishment," he said.

Under the Criminal Code of Belarus, capital punishment can be imposed for
terrorism, treason, war crimes, genocide, crimes against humanity, homicide,
etc.

According to Amnesty International, at least 3 people were executed in Belarus
in 2016.

(source: http://tass.com)

AUSTRALIA:

Australia's top lawyers urge Government to push for end to capital punishment
worldwide

Today marks the 50th anniversary since the last Australian was executed on home
soil, but since then 6 Australians have died at the hands of other governments.

The Law Council is urging the Australian Government to act on the
recommendations of a joint parliamentary committee into ending the death
penalty that was tabled early last year.

Law Council of Australia president Fiona McLeod said when an Australian was
executed overseas, the Australian Federal Police shouldered some of the blame.

"It's really not fair on individual police officers to give them the judgement
call to expose an individual to death."

She said the Government already had the blueprint to do all it could to bring
about the end of the death penalty worldwide.

"So what we're doing is urging the Government to act on the recommendations of
a joint parliamentary report, called A World Without the Death Penalty, and to
implement those recommendations with speed and with gusto."

George Newhouse, the principle solicitor of the National Justice Project, said
Australia needed to get smarter about the issue.

He argued that under Australia's extradition treaties it would be extraordinary
for the Government to allow an individual to be returned to a country where
they would suffer cruel and inhumane punishment.

He said it seemed the Federal Police were subject to a lower standard, which
was an issue in need of attention.

"I've acted in cases where alleged war criminals are to be sent back to another
country, and the Government negotiates with the country to ensure that that
person isn't subjected to a death penalty," Mr Newhouse said.

"But we don't do that, or we don't take those steps, when the AFP is involved."

Hopes Chan, Sukumaran case will be the last

The executions of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran in 2015 began with a tip-off
from the Australian Federal Police.

Barrister Julian McMahon represented both men.

"When we lost that case, everyone involved - the lawyers, journalists who were
closely watching events, and of course government officials who had worked
incredibly hard over years - were all deeply affected."

He wants Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran to be the last Australians executed
overseas.

"It's realistic to have a policy where the Australian Government or its various
agencies do not ever assist another country's police forces or judicial systems
towards an execution."

He said Australia cannot achieve an end to the death penalty on its own.

"When we push our position, which we now do well as a country, and we join with
other countries doing the same thing from all over the world, we could do that
with confidence without expecting a backlash."

Mr McMahon said Australia's guidelines should be very clear.

"The guidelines I think should be much tougher so that it's very clear that
there are no circumstances where we hand over information which will lead to
people getting executed," he said.

"And if that's our clear position, other countries will adjust quickly in how
they work with us."

(source: abc.net.au)

***********************

Government urged to strengthen AFP policy to prevent death penalty cases

The Turnbull government has been urged to strengthen Australian Federal Police
policy to prevent citizens being exposed to the death penalty overseas, as
Australia marks 50 years since the last execution in the country.

A joint parliamentary committee recommended in May last year that AFP
guidelines be amended to include a "stronger focus" on preventing citizens and
non-citizens being exposed to the risk of the death penalty in countries
including Indonesia and the United States.

On the 50th anniversary of the hanging of Ronald Ryan, who was convicted of
shooting a prison officer and became the last man executed in Australia, the
Law Council of Australia will call on the government on Friday to adopt the
recommendations.

Legal experts have warned existing AFP guidelines, introduced after Bali 9
members Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran were sentenced to death in Indonesia,
are not strong enough to prevent future executions.

A tip-off from the AFP to the Indonesian National Police led to the Bali 9's
arrest.

Australia opposes the death penalty but current guidelines do not prevent the
AFP sharing information with international law enforcement agencies where there
is a risk the death penalty may be applied.

The AFP is simply required to "consider" a range of factors in such cases, if
it is aware providing the information is "likely to result" in the prosecution
of a specific person for an offence carrying the death penalty.

Those factors include the seriousness of the suspected crime and Australia's
interest in promoting and securing co-operation from overseas agencies in
tackling crime.

The Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade, chaired by
former Liberal Attorney-General Philip Ruddock, recommended the guidelines be
overhauled so the primary aim is to prevent people from Australia or elsewhere
being exposed to arrest or charge for crimes likely to attract the death
penalty.

The guidelines should also include "a requirement that the AFP seek assurances
from foreign law enforcement bodies that the death penalty will not be sought
or applied if information is provided", the committee said.

Law Council of Australia president Fiona McLeod, SC, said the guidelines were
unclear and it was up to an individual AFP officer's judgment as to "how the
various factors are weighted".

"This is particularly unfair to the AFP officer - who is forced to carry the
heavy weight of responsibility on their own judgment and conscience," Ms McLeod
said.

She said the federal government had been an "outstanding advocate" against the
death penalty and should "continue to take the lead".

The death penalty was abolished for Commonwealth offences in Australia in 1973.
NSW, which lagged the other states, did not abolish capital punishment until
1985.

(source: Sydney Morning Herald)

************************

Last man hanged: 50 years in Australia without an execution

50 years ago, Australia carried out its final execution amid a swirl of protest
and political pressure. But as Jamie Duncan reports, capital punishment remains
firmly in the nation's consciousness despite the abolition of the death
penalty.

Ronald Joseph Ryan was a robber with a long criminal record.

On 3 February 1967, Ryan was hanged for the murder of prison warder George
Hodson as he escaped Pentridge Jail, in the Melbourne suburb of Coburg.

As the guards took turns to attend a staff room Christmas party on 19 December
1965, Ryan and accomplice Peter John Walker scaled a 5m (16ft) wall, with
blankets attached to a hook.

They overpowered a guard, stole guns and forced the guard to open a gate.

Mr Hodson was shot in the chest and died in the middle of a busy road outside
the jail while trying to grab Walker.

Ryan and Walker escaped but were re-captured in Sydney on 6 January 1966.

11 witnesses said they saw Ryan fire the fatal shot, but a warder testified
that the only shot he heard was his own. He said he was aiming for Ryan but
fired over Ryan's head to avoid a woman who blundered into the way.

After 12 days of deliberation, a jury found Ryan guilty of Mr Hodson's murder
and the judge, Justice John Starke, who was opposed to capital punishment,
pronounced the mandatory death sentence for the crime.

Walker was found guilty of 2 counts of manslaughter - that of Mr Hodson and the
shooting death of acquaintance Arthur Henderson while on the run.

At the time in the state of Victoria, the government's cabinet determined the
fate of condemned prisoners.

The last executions in Victoria occurred in 1951, when Jean Lee - the last
woman hanged in Australia - and her 2 male accomplices were executed for
torturing and murdering a 73-year-old illegal bookmaker.

Rope, fashioned into a hangman's noose. February 2008.Image caption Support for
capital punishment has, with periodic reversals, declined in Australia Between
then and 1967, Liberal and Labor cabinets commuted all but one of 35 death
sentences to life imprisonment.

The exception was Robert Tait, who murdered an 82-year-old woman. The
government's refusal of clemency was overturned in the nation's High Court.

Members of Victorian Premier Sir Henry Bolte's cabinet were known to be
opponents of capital punishment, but Sir Henry ensured his team refused to
commute Ryan's sentence.

Years later, juror Tom Gildea said while the jury was convinced of Ryan's
guilt, none believed he would hang, and 7 later wrote to cabinet seeking
clemency for Ryan.

The conservative-leaning Melbourne Herald campaigned for Ryan's life. In a
January 1967 editorial, it said: "The state government's insistence on this
final solution is causing the deepest revulsion. It is punishment in its most
barbarous form. And experience has shown it gains nothing but dishonour for the
community which inflicts it."

Mass protests in sizes never before seen in Melbourne had no effect on Sir
Henry. Ryan, almost 42, was hanged at Pentridge at 08:00 with hundreds of
protesters outside the jail.

Queensland was the 1st Australian state to outlaw the death penalty, in 1922.
Victoria followed in 1975 and New South Wales (NSW) was last, in 1985.

But whenever egregious crimes have shocked Australians, the question of a
return to capital punishment is raised.

It happened after Martin Bryant shot dead 35 people at Port Arthur in Tasmania
in 1996; the fire-bombing of Brisbane's Whiskey Au Go Go nightclub by James
Finch and John Stuart in 1973, which killed 15; and the 2012 rape and
strangulation of Jill Meagher, 29, by Adrian Ernest Bailey.

The death penalty was raised over the 2003 kidnapping and murder of Daniel
Morcombe, 13, on Queensland's Sunshine Coast, by Brett Peter Cowan; Julian
Knight's 1987 Hoddle Street massacre in Melbourne; and Ivan Milat's
"backpacker" murders in NSW in the 1980s and '90s.

Even this year, talk has resurfaced after a car was allegedly deliberately
driven down a Melbourne pedestrian mall, killing 6 people and injuring dozens.
Dimitrious "Jimmy" Gargasoulas, 26, faces murder and other charges.

Crusading commentator-turned-politician Derryn Hinch opposed capital punishment
for decades before the horrific rape and murder of Sydney nurse, Anita Cobby,
by 5 men, including 3 brothers, in 1986.

Hinch, a senator who heads his own Justice Party, says the death penalty should
apply in cases such as Knight's, where no doubts exist.

"If Australia had the death penalty, a lot of young women could be alive
today," Hinch wrote in 2012.

"Mersina Halvagis (fatally stabbed as she tended her grandmother's grave in
Melbourne in 1997) would be alive today. Her killer, Peter Dupas, would have
been executed after his 1st murders. If sex offenders served their full term
behind bars, Jill Meagher could be alive today," he said.

"If our touchy-feely parole boards spent half as much time considering victims
and their families as they do to rushing serial, violent criminals back on to
the streets, this world would be a safer place. And if a federal government had
the guts - or a state government had the independence and backbone - to hold a
referendum on the return of capital punishment for some crimes, it would pass
by a majority of about 75% to 25%."

Maybe not. Polls from Roy Morgan Research between 1947 and 2009 suggest capital
punishment supporters may be a vocal minority.

Respondents were asked whether they favoured the death penalty or imprisonment
in murder cases.

In 1947, 1953 and 1962, a sample of 1,000 voters aged 21 and over found they
favoured capital punishment 67% to 24%, 68-24% and 53-37% respectively, with
the remainder undecided.

There was no poll around Ryan's 1967 execution. From the next survey in 1975
until 2009, the sample of 1,000 included anyone aged 14-plus.

In 1975, support for capital punishment fell behind, at 40%, to 43% against,
but by 1980 it was on top again at 43-40%.

The gap slowly widened. By February 1989, death penalty supporters had an
absolute majority (52-34%) peaking at 54-36% in 1993.

But there was a dramatic swing in the decade between surveys in 1995 and 2005.

In 1995, there was still absolute majority support for the death penalty, with
53% in favour and 36% against.

But in November 2005 - 7 months after the arrest in Indonesia of the Bali 9
heroin traffickers following an Australian Federal Police tip-off - only 27%
supported it, with 66% opposed. A month later, support slipped further, to 25%
v 69%. By August 2009, the last survey, it dropped yet again to 23-64%.

A 2014 text message poll of 1,307 people, asking whether anyone who commits a
lethal act of terror in Australia should face the death penalty, showed narrow
support for the proposition - 52.5%, with 47.5% against.

Dr Amy Maguire, lecturer in law at Australia's Newcastle University and capital
punishment opponent, says the executions of Bali 9 drug smugglers Myuran
Sukumaran and Andrew Chan may have changed Australian attitudes.

Prior to this, Ronald Ryan's execution was at best a dim memory.

"My sense is that the Chan and Sukumaran case enlightened some numbers of
Australians who may previously been fairly unconcerned about the use of the
death penalty overseas for people convicted of drug offences," she told the
BBC.

"As well as having strong advocacy at government level, the families and
friends of Sukumaran and Chan bravely conveyed their grief publicly and
demonstrated that capital punishment is effectively torture not only for the
person executed but also for their loved ones.

"The argument that Sukumaran and Chan had worked very hard to rehabilitate
themselves and would be more fairly sentenced to life or many years in prison
was, I think, fairly persuasive to many people."

While there remains a significant proportion of Australians who support capital
punishment, Dr Maguire believes no Australian government will ever re-introduce
it.

"No, I believe Australia is very firmly committed to the abolition of capital
punishment, and in fact the Bali executions galvanised the government into
building a firmer platform on which to advocate for abolition globally.
Australian law is unequivocally against the death penalty," she said.

There are legal barriers, too. In 2010 the federal government passed laws
banning the reintroduction of capital punishment, in line with a voluntary
international treaty.

But 50 years on, Ronald Ryan's execution and tension over how best to deal with
heinous acts that were once capital crimes, echoes through Australia's judicial
system.

(source: BBC News)

SINGAPORE:

Kovan double murder: Apex court upholds death penalty

Former cop Iskandar Rahmat, convicted in 2015 of the brazen killing of
car-workshop owner Tan Boon Sin and his son Tan Chee Heong, failed in his
appeal to escape the death penalty on Friday (Feb 3).

The Court of Appeal - comprising Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon and Judges of
Appeal Chao Hick Tin and Andrew Phang - dismissed Iskandar's claim that the
fatalities were caused when he was attempting to defend himself when his
victims assaulted him.

Iskandar - who turned 38 on Friday - was "clearly the aggressor", the judges
found, noting that the elder Tan's wife had testifised that her husband was not
a violent person, and that his movements were hampered by a chronic knee
problem.

The younger Tan, being much lighter than Iskandar, also "could not have been so
menacing and strong to retaliate", said Justice Phang, who was delivering the
judgment on the court's behalf to a packed public gallery.

The shocking double murder dominated headlines, especially after Iskandar, then
an active police officer, was named as the suspect.

On July 10, 2013, the body of the younger Mr Tan, then 42, was dragged along
Upper Serangoon Road under a silver Toyota Camry, shocking passers-by. The
bloody trail led back to 14J Hillside Drive, about 1km away, where his father's
body lay, with multiple stab wounds.

Iskandar had claimed that he intended a rob-and-run job but was forced to fight
off a knife-wielding elder Tan to protect himself, and Tan died from his
injuries during the scuffle.

During the trial, the court heard that Iskandar had hatched the plan to rob the
elder Tan's money to avert a possible sacking from the police force over his
"financial embarrassment". He carried out his scheme the day before a deadline
to make a S$50,000 lump sum payment to clear his S$65,000 bank debt.

Lying to Tan that he was an intelligence officer, Iskandar had convinced him to
place a closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera - which was a dummy - inside
Tan's safe deposit box at Certis Cisco in Paya Lebar and to remove his money
from it, in order to help the police nab the thief who was stealing from the
box. Iskandar than accompanied Tan back to his home, where the brazen murders
took place.

On Friday, the court also rejected Iskandar's defence during an appeal last
year that he was suffering from acute stress reaction during the killing. It
was "unsatisfactory" to produce a new psychiatric report "so late in the day",
three years after the murder, the court said.

(source: todayonline.com)

IRAN:

Iranian authorities executed 1 person every 9 hours in January

According to reports compiled by Iran Human Rights, the Iranian authorities
hanged 87 people in the month of January 2017, including 2 juvenile prisoners
and 6 prisoners who were executed in public. Out of the 87 executions, only 19
of them were announced by official Iranian sources. Most of the executions
which were carrieed out in Iran in January 2017 were for drug related charges.

According to research conducted by Iran Human Rights, executions tend to
significantly increase in the months leading to an election in Iran but
significantly decrease or stop a couple weeks before the election. Iran Human
Rights is deeply concerned that a new wave of executions have started in Iran
and worries that the number of executions will increase following the "Fajr
Decade" celebrations.

Iran Human Rights urges the international community, especially European
countries, to pay attention to the execution crisis in Iran, and calls on all
countries which have diplomatic relations with the Iranian authorities to call
on the Iranian authorities to stop executions.

"In the month of January, we witnessed an average of one execution every 9
hours, including 2 juvenile offenders and 6 public executions. Lack of
reactions from the international community to these executions encourages the
Iranian authorities to execute even more people in the months leading to the
2017 presidential election," says Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, spokesperson for
Iran Human Rights.

(source: Iran Human Rights)

*******************

Halt imminent execution of juvenile offender, urge UN human rights experts

Calling on the Government of Iran to immediately halt the execution of a
juvenile offender whose trial was reportedly marred with lack of due process
and fair trial guarantees, a group of United Nations human rights experts have
urged the authorities to adopt a moratorium on juvenile executions.

According to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR),
the offender, Hamid Ahmadi, was 17 years old when he was sentenced to death in
2009 for the fatal stabbing of a young man in a fight between 5 boys, the year
before. The court relied on confessions reportedly obtained under torture and
ill-treatment at a police station. Mr. Ahmadi was also denied access to a
lawyer and his family.

"To our knowledge, in the case of Hamid Ahmadi, the most stringent guarantees
of fair trial and due process contained in international human rights
instruments have been disrespected and, the allegations of torture and
confessions extracted under duress were not taken into consideration nor did
the lead to any investigation," the human rights experts said.

"Any death sentence undertaken in contravention of a Government's international
obligations, and particularly when a conviction is based on confessions
extracted under torture, is unlawful and tantamount to an arbitrary execution,"
they stressed.

Mr. Ahmadi's execution, planned to take place - by hanging - on Saturday, 4
February, is the 3rd time it has been scheduled. In the 2 previous instances,
they were halted at the last minute.

Any death sentence undertaken in contravention of a Government's international
obligations, and particularly when a conviction is based on confessions
extracted under torture, is unlawful and tantamount to an arbitrary execution

OHCHR further noted that the Iranian Supreme Court had overturned the death
sentence in 2009 due to some doubts about the testimony of several key
witnesses but ultimately upheld the death sentence a year later.

Furthermore, following the adoption (in 2013) of new juvenile sentencing
provisions of the Islamic Penal Code, Mr. Ahmadi was granted a retrial but was
eventually re-sentenced to death by a Provincial Criminal Court in December
2015.

Unprecedented rate of scheduling and even conducting executions of juveniles

The experts also condemned that execution of juveniles continue to be scheduled
and even conducted at an unprecedented rate in the country since the beginning
of the year.

"On 17 January, we already intervened to halt the execution of another
juvenile," they noted.

"Since then, we have learned that 2 other juveniles have been hanged on 15 and
18 January. Arman Bahr Asemani and Hassan Hassanzadeh were both juveniles at
the time they allegedly committed the offence for which they were sentenced to
death."

Underlining that that international standards unequivocally forbid the
imposition and execution of the death penalty on persons below 18 years of age,
the UN experts urged Iran to observe its international obligations by putting
an end to the execution of juvenile offenders "once and for all."

The human rights experts voicing their concern included:

--Asma Jahangir, UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Iran

--Agnes Callamard, UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary
executions

--Nils Melzer, UN Special Rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or
degrading treatment or punishment

--Benyam Dawit Mezmur, current Chairperson of the Committee on the Rights of
the Child, a body of 18 independent experts monitoring implementation of the
Convention on the Rights of the Child by its State parties

Independent experts and Special Rapporteurs are appointed by the Geneva based
UN Human Rights Council - an inter-governmental body responsible for promoting
and protecting human rights around the world - to examine and report back on a
specific human rights theme or a country situation. The positions are honorary
and the experts are not UN staff, nor are they paid for their work.

(source: UN News Centre)

*********************

Iran set to hang 2rd juvenile offender in a month----Hamid Ahmadi set to be
executed on 11 February

The Iranian authorities must immediately stop the execution of a man arrested
for a crime committed when he was 17 years old, said Amnesty International,
ahead of his scheduled execution in just over a week's time (11 February).

Hamid Ahmadi was convicted - following an unfair trial marred by torture
allegations - over the fatal stabbing of a young man during a fight between him
and four others in the city of Siahkal in 2008. He was arrested on 5 May 2008
after he contacted the police to report the stabbing, an incident in which he
said he played no direct role.

Ahmadi was first sentenced to death in 2009 after an unfair trial which was
based on "confessions" he said were extracted through torture and other
ill-treatment.

He has said that police officers held him for 3 days in a filthy, urine-stained
cell; tied his hands and feet together and pushed him face down on the cell
floor; tied him to a pole in the yard; kicked his genitals; and denied him food
and water. One officer told him that he should not fear execution and should
just "confess" to the stabbing so that the investigation would be concluded as
soon as possible. The pain inflicted on him was so severe that he said he was
willing to confess to anything to end it. The authorities are not known to have
investigated his torture allegations.

The last time Ahmadi's execution was scheduled, in May 2015, it was halted at
the last minute after a public outcry. He was then granted a retrial based on
new juvenile sentencing provisions in Iran's 2013 Islamic Penal Code allowing
judges to replace the death penalty with an alternative punishment if they
determine that the juvenile offender had not attained "mental maturity" at the
time of the crime. However, he was sentenced to death for a 2nd time in 2015.

This is the 3rd time Ahmadi has been transferred to solitary confinement to
await his death. He was transferred to solitary confinement in Lakan prison in
the city of Rasht in preparation for his execution last Saturday (28 January).
His execution was initially scheduled for 4 February but his family were
informed today that it has been postponed by a week.

Over the past month the Iranian authorities have executed 2 other young men
arrested as children, and scheduled a third which was halted at the last
minute. Phil Luther, Amnesty International's Middle East and North Africa
Research and Advocacy Director, said:

"Carrying out the third such execution in a month would be yet another stain on
the conscience of Iran and an utter betrayal of its own commitments to uphold
children's rights.

"Instead of displaying such appalling enthusiasm for use of the death penalty,
the Iranian authorities should urgently halt Hamid Ahmadi's execution, commute
his death sentence and order a fair retrial in line with international human
rights standards."

Iran is a party to the Convention on the Rights of the Child, but its outdated
laws continue to allow the death penalty to be applied to girls as young as 9
and boys as young as 15. Amnesty is calling on the Iranian authorities to
urgently amend Article 91 of Iran's 2013 Islamic Penal Code to prohibit the use
of the death penalty against juvenile offenders, without any discretion for the
courts or other exceptions. Pending this legislative change the head of the
judiciary must establish an official moratorium on executions and ensure that
the death sentences imposed on all people arrested as children are commuted
without delay.

(source: Amnesty International)

ST. LUCIA:

Francis backs referendum on death penalty

Asserting that there are compelling arguments both for and against the death
penalty, National Security Minister, Hermangild Francis, has come out in
support of a referendum on carrying out executions for criminals convicted of
capital murders.

The last execution in Saint Lucia took place in 1995.

"The public has a say - Saint Lucians can decide 'yes, this is what we want',"
he said.

The minister admitted that there is pressure from other countries not to carry
out the death penalty.

"You are supposed to be independent but you are not really independent because
you need to get grants and you need to get assistance from some of these
countries, but it is on the law books and again - it is not automatic," Francis
observed.

But he said if there is pressure from outside forces there was need to go to
the people of Saint Lucia and explain the situation to them:

"We want aid from England and Sweden and those countries, but at the end of the
day if we implement the death penalty then we will not get the type of monies
that we need to take care of our people, 'what do you want us to do as a
government?'"

Asked whether he was indicating that there should be a referendum, Francis
said:

"Yes. You can do that and then it sends a loud message to the persons out there
that this is what the people want and at the end of the day you have to give
people what they want."

Asked whether he intended to push for the referendum, Francis responded in the
negative.

"I would not lead any charge on the death penalty," he stated, asserting that
the DPP is the one who decides whether to seek the death penalty.

Francis referred to Wednesday's double homicide at Tamarind Heights, Active
Hill, in which a man and his girlfriend were stabbed to death.

He expressed the view that if the perpetrator goes through the system and is
found guilty, he was sure that if the the DPP should ask for the death penalty
no one would fight it.

"That is a discussion we need to have - I don't want to say exactly how I feel
about the death penalty, but the death penalty is on our books so if you commit
murder there is a possibility that you can be sentenced to death," Francis
explained.

He stated that since there is a provision for executions in the law, Saint
Lucia should follow the law.

"Whether I like it or I don't like it, that is what the law says," the former
Deputy Police Commissioner said.

The Minister was a guest last night on the DBS Television programme, Newsmaker
Live, with host -Timothy Poleon.

(source: stluciatimes.com)

NIGERIA:

Nigerian judge wants death row executions carried out to ease prison congestion

A judge in Nigeria's southern Delta State wants governors in the country to
sign warrants for persons on death row.

According to Judge Marshal Umukoro, doing so will help decongest Nigeria's
prisons which has over 1,600 inmates on death row, according to statistics from
the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).

The judge also avers that doing so will help deter people from committing
crimes that will land them such punishment. He was delivering a lecture titled,
'The Judiciary and Criminal Justice System,' at an institution in the city of
Ibadan.

His position is in sharp contrast to that of international right groups like
Amnesty International (AI) who have repeatedly called for the abolishing of the
death penalty.

The most recent executions in Nigeria were in late December 2016 when three
prisoners were killed in Edo State. AI called on the state government to
abolish the executions describing the Edo case a "backward step in global
trends towards abolishing death penalty."

Africa's most populous nation still has executions on their law books and it is
applicable for persons convicted for murder and armed robbery.

Before executions are carried out after conviction, state governors have to
approve the action. Local media reports that most governors have also commuted
death sentences to life imprisonment. Lagos State on Wednesday approved death
penalty for kidnappers, a move AI has swiftly condemned.

(source: africanews.com)