Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun Aug 13 13:55:01 CDT 2017

August 13

INDIA:

Supreme Court stays execution of man on death row

The Supreme Court has stayed the execution of a man sentenced to death in a
case related to election rivalry in which 6 persons were murdered after
panchayat polls in Uttar Pradesh in 2003.

A bench comprising Justices Dipak Misra, Amitava Roy and A M Khanwilkar
admitted the appeal filed by convict Madan and called for the trial court's
records of the case lodged in Muzaffarnagar district.

"Leave granted. Let the lower court's records be called for. There shall be a
stay on the execution of the death sentence," it said.

Madan was awarded the capital punishment by the trial court in July 2015 and
the sentence was confirmed by the Allahabad High Court in February this year.

The high court, while confirming his death sentence, had observed that he was 1
of the main assailants in the crime in which 6 persons had died.

The high court had commuted to life term the death penalty awarded by the trial
court to another convict in the case.

According to the prosecution, Madan, along with his associates, had fired at
the family members and supporters of the successful candidates, who were
elected as members of a village panchayat.

It had alleged that Madan and others were supporting the other candidate, who
had lost the election, due to which he had a grudge against them.

The prosecution had said that on October 14, 2003, when the relatives and
supporters of the successful candidates were going to the house of deputy
pradhan of the village, Madan and his associates attacked them and in the
firing 6 people had died.

During the trial, Madan and others had denied the allegations levelled against
them and had claimed that they were falsely implicated in the case due to
election rivalry.

In its judgement, the high court had held that Madan and his associates had
indiscriminately fired upon the victims and considering the gravity of offence,
it was covered under the category of the rarest of rare cases warranting death
penalty.

(source: newindianexpress.com)

BANGLADESH:

HC defers N'ganj 7-murder verdict to Aug 22

The High Court has deferred its verdict on the Narayanganj 7-murder case until
Aug 22.

Though the decision was to be announced on Aug 13, the bench of Justices
Bhabani Prasad Singha and Mustafa Zaman Islam rescheduled it on Sunday.

"It has been delayed because the decision is not yet ready," said defence
counsel Mansurul Haq Chowdhury.

On Jul 26, the High Court bench set the Aug 1 date for the verdict after
hearing the death reference and appeals in the case. Death sentences issued by
trial courts are forwarded for approval to the High Court as 'death