[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----NEB., OKLA., ARIZ., CALIF., ORE., WASH., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Oct 20 10:20:43 CDT 2016

Oct. 20

NEBRASKA:

If Nebraska Death Penalty Ban is Repealed, Changes will Need to be Made

If voters repeal the death penalty ban, Nebraska will have to make some changes
in order to carry out executions. Attorney General Doug Peterson says they are
already looking at options.

Peterson says when Nebraska switched from the electric chair to lethal
injection the standard was to use a 3 drug combination. He says now only 1 drug
is used so that is one issue that will need to be addressed. He says Nebraska
may also want to consider a shield law where the identity of the person who
compiles the drug remains unknown to the public.

Peterson says they have been doing their homework and monitoring how other
states are carry out executions. He says they have provided models as to what
changes need to be made here.

(source: WNAX news)

OKLAHOMA:

Former warden to give views on death penalty

A former iron hand of the law turned anti-death penalty advocate will share his
views on the death penalty Friday in Lawton.

Frank Thompson, former Oregon State Penitentiary warden, will be guest speaker
at the SQ776 Meet & Greet at 9:30 a.m., at the Percolator Coffee House, 605 SW
E.

State Question 776 on the Nov. 8 ballot in Oklahoma as a legislatively referred
constitutional amendment regarding the status of the death penalty in the
state. To vote yes would prevent any changes or challenges to the method of
administering the death penalty from preventing the death penalty from being
carried out for death-row inmates.

(source: The Lawton Constitution)

ARIZONA:

Plaintiffs Want More Than A Promise From Arizona On Death Penalty Drug

The plaintiffs in a lawsuit challenging Arizona's death penalty want more than
a promise that Arizona will never again use a controversial lethal injection
drug.

Midazolam dominated the discussion during a federal court hearing Wednesday.

Judge Neil V. Wake called the hearing to ponder if Ohio's having recently
obtained the drug defeats the state's argument that Arizona's inability to get
more midazolam makes the lawsuit moot.

Lawyers for state followed up with a promise to never use midazolam again.

But lawyers for the plaintiffs said Ohio's plan to resume executions next year
using midazolam show it's still available. Mississippi, Alabama and Arkansas
also have midazolam, they said.

A change in Arizona leadership could lead to the state using midazolam again,
and the plaintiffs need a way to enforce the state's promise to refrain from
using the drug, said Mark Haddad, an attorney for the plaintiffs.

"That would be very unfair to end this case now without any ability for us to
stop that change of decision," Haddad said.

Haddad also said he's open to discussions on resolving the case, and he's
hopeful the sides can come to an agreement.

Attorneys for the state declined to comment.

(source: KJZZ news)

******************

Judge questions vow not to use sedative again in executions

A judge presiding over a lawsuit that protests how Arizona carries out the
death penalty extracted promises in court from the state Wednesday that it
won't use the sedative midazolam in future executions.

Lawyers for the state are seeking to dismiss the lawsuit's claim that midazolam
can't ensure that condemned inmates won't feel the pain caused by another drug
in a three-drug execution protocol. The state said it won't use the sedative in
the future even if it finds a new supply.

U.S. District Judge Neil Wake said the state's decision to voluntarily end its
midazolam use in executions could be changed in the future by a state prisons
director or a governor.

"There is nothing to stop the director or a future director or a future
governor from saying the world has changed," Wake said, marking the second time
in recent months that he has questioned the solidity of the state's claim on
finding midazolam.

Arizona announced nearly 4 months ago that it was eliminating its use of
midazolam after its supply expired and another supplier couldn't be found
because of pressure from opponents of the death penalty. Attorneys for the
state say the lawsuit's midazolam claim is moot because the drug won't be used
in the future executions.

Wake scheduled the hearing after learning that Ohio now has a supply of
midazolam and plans to resume executions there in January.

Collin Wedel, an attorney representing the condemned inmates who filed the
lawsuit, said the state's claim that it can't find the sedative doesn't hold
water because Ohio, Mississippi, Alabama and Arkansas have already said they
have a midazolam supply.

Jeffrey Sparks, an attorney representing the state, said the state wasn't
arguing that there is no midazolam available anywhere, but rather that
Arizona's prison system simply can't acquire it.

Wake hasn't yet decided whether to dismiss the lawsuit's midazolam claim.

Executions in Arizona will remain on hold until the lawsuit is resolved. They
were put on hold after the July 2014 death of convicted killer Joseph Rudolph
Wood, who was given 15 dozes of midazolam and a painkiller and who took nearly
2 hours to die. His attorney said the execution was botched.

Several of the lawsuit's claims have been dismissed, but lawyers for the
condemned inmates want to press forward with allegations that the state has
abused its discretion in the methods and amounts of the drugs used in past
executions.

Similar challenges to the death penalty are playing out in other parts of the
country that seek more transparency about where states get their execution
drugs.

States are struggling to obtain execution drugs because European pharmaceutical
companies began blocking the use of their products for lethal injections.

Exonerees and Faith Leaders Work to End State Death Penalty

Death row exonerees Nate Fields and Sabrina Butler joined a diverse group of
faith leaders to talk about the importance of ending California's death penalty
during an interfaith breakfast hosted at Holman United Methodist Church on Oct.
10.

Fields and Butler were in California to support Prop 62, a statewide initiative
on the ballot this November.

Most disturbing among all of the failed death penalty's significant problems -
billions in costs, arbitrary and racially biased application, ineffective crime
deterrent, an empty promise to victims' families - is the unavoidable risk that
an innocent person may be executed.

Prop 62 ends that risk by replacing the death penalty in California with life
in prison without parole. It guarantees that the worst criminals will never be
released and requires convicted murderers to work and pay restitution to their
victims' families. Prop 62 will save taxpayers $150 million a year according to
the Legislative Analyst's Office.

African Americans make up 36 % of the population on California's death row.
Fields spent 20 years in an Illinois prison, including 11 years on death row,
for a double homicide he did not commit. The judge who sentenced him was later
indicted for taking bribes in murder cases, including Fields' case and Fields
was found innocent after a 2nd trial.

"We're here in California for a very important moment, for a life-or-death
situation. You can get the death penalty based on the color of your skin. But
most importantly, you can get the death penalty based on a mistake. The death
penalty requires perfection, and that will never happen," said Fields. "As we
stand here today, we know there are innocent people on death row waiting to be
executed. We know that 4 out of 20 murder convictions are overturned. I'm
urging people to vote yes on Prop 62 because I don't want anyone else to have
to go through what me and my family went through."

Butler was a Mississippi teenager wrongly convicted of murder and child abuse
in the death of her 9-month-old son, Walter. She was exonerated of all
wrongdoing after spending more than five years in prison, including 33 months
on death row.

"My case was an overzealous prosecutor that wanted to make a name for himself.
I had two attorneys. One was drunk to through the whole trial and the other did
not do investigative work on my case," said Ms. Butler. "The death penalty
system is deeply flawed and it's not right. So I'm going to tell my story
wherever I can, and as long as I can, until I can't do it anymore."

"We all have a call on us now, to get the word out about Prop 62. The death
penalty in the state of California is wrong and we need to end it, said Pastor
William D. Smart. "Take the message to the people, and make sure they
understand that now is the time."

Mr. Fields and Ms. Butler are part of Witness to Innocence, the nation's only
organization dedicated to empowering exonerated death row survivors to be the
most powerful and effective voice in the struggle to end the death penalty in
the United States.

(source: LA Sentinel)

***********

The morality of preserving the death penalty

On election day, California voters will decide whether or not the death penalty
stays or goes as the ultimate form of punishment for the state's most heinous
killers.

Capital punishment abolitionists are heralding Proposition 62, which would
replace the death penalty with life in prison without the possibility of
parole, as the rightful sunset of a barbaric practice. To them, it's a waste of
taxpayer money and an immoral practice.

I couldn't disagree more. Not only do I think it's a good use of public
resources, I believe it's the moral answer to society's most immoral people.

On October 1, 1993, 12-year-old Polly Klaas was kidnapped at knife point from
her Petaluma home and was subsequently sexually molested and strangled to
death. Her killer, Richard Allen Davis, was convicted of first-degree murder
and four special circumstances - robbery, burglary, kidnapping and a lewd act
on a child. He was subsequently sentenced to death.

Davis, who admitted to the murder, remains on death row at San Quentin State
Prison while his attorneys continue to appeal his conviction.

Marc Klaas, Polly's father and the founder of the Klaas Kids Foundation, told
me that if Prop. 62 passes, he and his family will continue to be victimized by
Davis. "The killer [Davis] told psychiatrist Llewelen Jones that he
'Masturbates twice daily and thinks of tying up female victims of past crimes.'
>From my perspective that means that he not only sits in his cell on death row
violating my daughter twice a day, but he will continue to do that until the
day that he is put down. Polly deserves better than that. She, or her memory,
will never truly have peace until the killer's vile thoughts and deeds cease to
exist," he said.

Supporters of Prop. 62 have also admitted that if this initiative were to pass,
banning life in prison without the possibility of parole would be next on their
list.

Kent Scheidegger, the legal director of the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation,
told the Sacramento Bee, "If the death penalty is abolished on Tuesday, the
drive to abolish life without parole begins on Wednesday."

This would mean that the family members of murdered people would be forced to
relive their trauma every time their loved one's killer comes up for a parole
hearing.

That's exactly what has happened to Debra Tate, whose sister Sharon and her
unborn child were brutally murdered by the Manson Family in 1969.

Manson, and other members of his "family" were sentenced to death for these
brutal murders. However, their sentence was reduced to life in prison because
the death penalty was abolished by the state Supreme Court in the early 1970s.

Now, Tate spends her life trying to keep the Manson killers behind bars. Tate
told me, "There must be penalties for taking a life. If you're willing to take
a life you should be willing to forfeit your own. ... The ever changing legal
system has made it a monumental task to keep up with the amount of parole
hearings and subsequent appeals by these predatory killers. Parole hearings are
falling only a few months apart, followed by subsequent appeals."

There are also 2 stats that are important to the conversation and are
completely irrefutable - the state of California has never executed an innocent
person and the recidivism rate among those executed is zero.

In other words, the death penalty works. We are executing the right people and
are preventing them from ever hurting anyone else again.

Marc Klaas believes it's incumbent on those of us who support the death penalty
to make sure the process works. "Death penalty abolitionists crave the
execution of an innocent man so that their indignation can run amok, while
those who favor the death penalty pray that an innocent is never executed so
that the fragile system of ultimate justice can be preserved," he said.

I'm voting no on Prop. 62 and I'm doing it because the death penalty is moral.

(source: Opinion; John Phillips is a CNN political commentator----OC Register)

**********************

California's Proposition 62 Can End the Suffering - and the Expense - of the
Death Penalty

California's death penalty system has failed. We know the death penalty is
racist in application and is used primarily against the poor and the poorly
defended. It entraps and kills the innocent along with the guilty and is
hideously expensive. Any of these facts should be reason enough to do away with
the death penalty, yet attempts to make it meet constitutional requirements
have continued for nearly 40 years.

As Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer said last year, "Despite the ...
Court's hope for fair administration of the death penalty, 40 years of further
experience make it increasingly clear that the death penalty is imposed
arbitrarily, i.e., without the 'reasonable consistency' legally necessary to
reconcile its use with the Constitution's commands."

California's 38-year attempt to make the death penalty constitutional has left
us with more than 1,000 death verdicts and 13 executions - at a total cost of
$5 billion. That breaks down to $384 million per execution. California now has
the largest death-row population in the United States, with almost 750 men and
women waiting an average of 25 to 30 years for the resolution of their
constitutionally required appeals. As a result, approximately 10 times as many
on our state's death row have died of natural causes or suicide than have been
executed.

A tragic result of this awful, grinding process is the long-term incarceration
and death of innocents. Ralph Thomas, a homeless African-American man, and
Dennis Lawley, a diagnosed schizophrenic, both died after years on death row
before their claims of innocence were verified.

Proposition 62 will replace the death penalty with sentences of life without
parole. It also will require inmates to work (which they cannot do on death
row) and pay 60 % of their earnings to a general victims' restitution fund. The
state's Legislative Analyst's Office says Proposition 62 will save Californians
$150 million every year.

Currently, family members of victims have to relive the horror of a loved one's
murder through years of appellate hearings. If Proposition 62 is passed, guilty
parties will be put behind bars until they die, providing finality and ending
the torture endured by victims' families. Eliminating the death penalty also
gives convicts who aren't guilty the chance to prove their innocence.

Proposition 66, on the other hand, is another in a series of lame attempts to
fix an irreparable death-penalty system. The proposition imposes additional
levels of appeal, which lengthen the process. It attempts to limit the
California Supreme Court to 5 years to resolve appeals that now take an average
of 12, but it contains no provision to enforce such a limit. As Proposition 66
authors should know, limiting the court's deliberation time simply would mean
making more mistakes and killing more innocent people.

Our state maintains a list of attorneys willing to accept appointment to handle
appeals. Some are trained for and willing to accept capital - death penalty -
appeals while others are not. Proposition 66 requires any of these attorneys,
whether trained for capital defense or not, to accept death cases or be removed
from the list. Forcing unwilling or untrained attorneys to handle the complex
issues involved with capital defense guarantees costly, perhaps fatal, errors
and ensures further appeals based on "ineffective assistance of counsel."
Proposition 66 also pretends to save the state money by moving some costs to
the counties, an unfair burden counties can't afford. Critically, Proposition
66 has no effect on the federal appellate courts, which already return 60 to 70
% of all death verdicts to the state for resentencing, retrial or further
consideration.

Vote yes on 62 and no on 66.

(source: Mike Farrell, truthdig.com)

***************************

Sierra LaMar murder trial gets firm January start date

More than 4 years after Morgan Hill teen Sierra LaMar disappeared on her way to
a school bus stop, the Santa Clara County judge handling the capital case set a
firm start date for the trial of the man suspected of killing her: Jan. 3.

Superior Court Judge Vanessa A. Zecher on Tuesday reminded the lawyers in the
death-penalty case against Antolin Garcia-Torres, 22, to be ready to give their
opening statements after the holidays, on the first Tuesday of 2017.

The court already has begun evaluating prospective jurors by having them answer
a 32-page questionnaire containing 178 questions, so the trial has technically
begun. But the start date for the so-called evidence portion of the trial,
which starts with opening statements and then the prosecution's case, was not
clear until now.

The date comes after many delays, which frustrated LaMar's family and friends,
as well as the defendant himself. One reason it didn't start sooner was
Garcia-Torres' lawyers Brian Matthews and Al Lopez were handling other cases.
The trial is expected to last 4 to 6 months. Prosecutor David Boyd and
co-counsel Dana Veazey long ago signaled they were ready.

LaMar, 15, vanished on her way to the school bus stop near Morgan Hill on the
morning of March 16, 2012. Her body has not been found.

Hundreds of prospective jurors are being asked this week to fill out the
questionnaire. The case is then set to reconvene in early November after
lawyers for the prosecution and defense review the answers on the
questionnaires. Questioning of prospective jurors is scheduled to begin Nov.
14.

One of the biggest challenges will be finding 12 jurors and up to 6 alternates
willing and able to serve during the whole trial, which could last 6 months.

The lengthy jury questionnaire contains typical inquiries, including whether
prospective jurors have ever been victims of crime or know the principals
involved in the case, including the judge.

It also asks whether they belong to a variety of groups, ranging from the
National Rifle Association to the American Civil Liberties Union. Because
prosecutors allege Garcia-Torres' DNA was found on her discarded clothing and
Sierra's DNA throughout his car, including on a rope in his trunk, jurors are
asked their opinion of DNA evidence.

Prospective jurors are also queried about whether they have ever been a victim
of a sex crime or known someone who was. Prosecutors believe LaMar may have
been sexually assaulted. Only the lawyers and judge will review the answers,
which will not be made public.

They are also asked about their feelings about masturbation. Garcia-Torres told
authorities that his DNA could have been found on LaMar's clothing, which was
discarded by the side of the road near Morgan Hill, because he had masturbated
and threw tissues with his DNA out of his car.

The questionnaire also probes jurors' feelings about imposing the death penalty
or life without parole.

(source: Mercury News)

*****************

Suspect charged with murder in fatal hit-and-run in San Leandro

The Alameda County District Attorney's office has charged a Richmond man with
murder in the course of robbery, punishable by life in prison without the
possibility of parole.

Kadeem Edwards, 27, of Richmond, was arrested Monday, Oct. 17 in connection
with a fatal hit-and-run in San Leandro. Kadeem Edwards, 27, of Richmond, was
arrested Monday, Oct. 17 in connection with a fatal hit-and-run in San Leandro.
San Leandro Police Department.

The charges make Kadeem Edwards, 27, eligible for the death penalty, although
Alameda County rarely seeks capital punishment in such cases.

San Leandro police said Edwards parked his white Ford F-250 pickup behind True
World Foods, 1815 Williams Street in San Leandro, at 11:45 a.m. Monday and was
in the process of stealing wooden pallets when 54-year-old Takeshi Watanabe ran
outside and confronted him.

Watanabe, a 23-year employee, stood in front of Edwards' truck with his hands
on his hood and his legs braced "as if he was preventing the vehicle from
moving forward," San Leandro police Officer Michael Benz wrote in a
probable-cause declaration.

Edwards got into the vehicle and drove forward about 15 to 20 feet, pushing
Watanabe backward, before accelerating and running over him, Benz said.

Watanabe was dragged 100 feet before becoming dislodged from under the truck.
Paramedics declared him dead at the scene.

The incident was caught on surveillance video, and police said footage and
employee witness statements were included in an alert sent to local law
enforcement agencies around 2 p.m. Monday about the truck.

At 5 p.m. Monday, Oakland police officers found the truck near an East Oakland
pallet recycling facility and tried to make contact with Edwards but he ran
away, police said. He was arrested a little over an hour later after they found
him hiding under a vehicle.

Police said Edwards confessed to the killing during his interview.

At True World, officials expressed pain at the loss of a longtime employee and
praise for law enforcement's swift arrest of a suspect.

"We grieve with his widow and three sons. Personally, I am tremendously moved
by Takeshi's desire to stop what he saw as a violation of the company," True
World Group president Robert Bleu said in a statement Wednesday. "I respect his
courage, yet deeply regret that it cost him his life."

True World operations manager Sebastian Doroski joined in, praising Watanabe's
volunteering and youth program efforts outside work.

"This is a tragic loss," Doroski said. "Takeshi was a valuable part of our
team. He was best known for being a truly good-hearted person. He cared about
his co-workers and they cared about him. Our hearts are heavy today. Our
condolences are with his family and, of course, with all those who knew him and
cared about him."

Kadeem did not enter a plea at his arraignment in a Hayward courtroom Wednesday
afternoon. He is being held without bail and will return to court Nov. 2.

(source: East Bay Times)

*****************

East Hemet man guilty of murder in deaths of daughter, estranged wife----Johnny
Lopez is also convicted of trying to kill his girlfriend. A jury will now
decide whether he gets the death penalty or life in prison.

An East Hemet man who told a sheriff's investigator he had a contract with the
devil to kill his 5-year-old daughter and estranged wife, and that he tried to
kill his girlfriend to start a new life, is now facing either life in prison or
the death penalty after being convicted in those crimes.

A jury found Johnny Lopez, 36, of Hemet, guilty of 2 counts of murder and 1
each of attempted murder, rape by force, burglary and being a convicted felon
in possession of a firearm, Riverside County District Attorney's Office
spokesman John Hall said.

The case will now enter the penalty phase, ending with the same jury
recommending to the judge whether Lopez should get a life or death sentence.

In an interview with sheriff's investigators 2 days after the attacks, Lopez
admitted to killing Mia Lopez, 5, and Joanna Barrientos, 36, referred to in
court papers as Joanna Lopez. She was not Mia's mother but was raising the girl
as her own.

Lopez told investigators that after he shot them each in the head, he drove
about 2 blocks away from the Girard Street house, then turned around and came
back to shoot each of them once more.

"In my mind I had that contract (with the devil). I can't believe I went
through with it," he said during the interview.

Lopez left and went to a house on Sunset Lane where he sexually assaulted his
girlfriend, slashed her throat and attempted to choke her with an electrical
cord.

Lopez said he had been drinking alcohol and using methamphetamine and heroin
that day.

His public defender, Brian Cosgrove, acknowledged Lopez committed the crime but
told the jury his client suffered a "psychotic break." He intended to bring in
experts and witnesses aimed at leniency.

(source: Press-Enterprise)

OREGON:

Governor should push to ban death penalty

Gov. Kate Brown offered elaboration this week regarding her position on capital
punishment, saying that she would continue a moratorium on the death penalty
through her 2-year term if she's elected in November.

To her credit, Brown made these comments before the Nov. 8 election; it's an
extra piece of information voters can use as they weigh the gubernatorial race.

When she assumed office last year after the resignation of John Kitzhaber,
Brown said she was personally against the death penalty and planned to continue
the moratorium Kitzhaber had put in place. But she also said then that she
planned to study the issue in more detail.

Well, apparently that study is over, according to a story this week in The
Oregonian. A spokesman for Brown, Bryan Hockaday, told the newspaper in an
email that "Gov. Brown will continue the death penalty moratorium, because
after thoroughly researching the issues, serious concerns remain about the
constitutionality and workability of Oregon's capital punishment law."

Hockaday said that reasons for Brown's decision include the "uncertainty of
Oregon's ability to acquire the necessary execution drugs required by statute."
(Hockaday declined to immediately release to the newspaper any of the studies
or other information the governor relied upon to make her decision, but she
should take pains to do that now and not wait for the inevitable records
request.)

Hockaday added this note: "Looking nationally, America is on the verge of a sea
change both by legislation and, more profoundly, through court decisions. The
past few years have already seen a major shift in the landscape on capital
punishment law, and Gov. Brown expects more changes are on the horizon."

That's probably a fair assessment. But it leaves work undone in Oregon, and if
Brown is serious about this issue, she could help to lead that sea change.

The fact remains that the death penalty still is part of Oregon law. (Brown's
opponent, Bud Pierce, has said he would follow the law and presumably would
allow executions.)

Oregon voters haven't weighed in on the issue since 1984, when they approved
the death penalty. Brown is right that a lot has changed in the three decades
since then. It's possible that the state's voters might have a different view
of the measure now. But we won't know for sure until we ask them.

Kitzhaber, for whatever reason, was reluctant to use any of his political
capital to pursue the issue. But Brown should, assuming she wins on Election
Day (and recent polls show her with a comfortable lead): She could push the
2017 Legislature to refer the issue to voters. Failing that, she could help
drive an effort to use the initiative process to place the issue on a future
ballot.

Even though Oregon still has 34 prisoners on death row, it's conducted only 2
executions in the last 50 years, and both of those occurred in the 1960s. No
executions appear to be imminent in the state.

All that means that this would be an excellent time for Brown to show real
leadership on the issue, instead of just hoping that she won't have the
occasion to explain again to Oregon voters why she's unwilling to enforce what
remains the law of the state.

(source: Editorial, Corvallis Gazette-Times)

WASHINGTON:

Gubernatorial debate: Death penalty, Hanford, school funding

Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee and Republican challenger Bill Bryant clashed over
the death penalty, Hanford lawsuits and their visions of the state in their 3rd
debate on Wednesday.

The debate, sponsored by the Washington State Debate Coalition, occurred at
Columbia Basin College in Pasco.

Inslee is a former congressman seeking his 2nd term as governor. He said
Washington has the nation's best economy and was making progress on a host of
problems.

"We are a confident and optimistic state," Inslee said. "I believe we ought to
keep the ball rolling."

Bryant, a former Seattle port commissioner, painted a picture of a state in
dire straits because of a disengaged governor. He said he would be "an engaged,
activist governor."

"Is there anyone who thinks we can't do better?" Bryant said.

The candidates were asked if they would support using the death penalty against
the shooter in the recent mass killings in Burlington.

Inslee said he would continue his moratorium against the use of the death
penalty, which he said is unfairly applied. Bryant said he would follow state
laws that allow the use of the death penalty.

"The governor can't ignore the law," he said.

(source: The Herald)

USA:

Are odds stacked against blacks in court?

When it comes to capital punishment in America, blacks are nearly 4 times more
likely to receive the death penalty than other races.

In 2015, 49 people received death sentences. 21 were black, 16 were white and
the rest were of other races. In Alabama, 6 death sentences were given, and 4
defendants were black.

A previous study by the Death Penalty Information Center found that the odds of
receiving the death penalty are nearly 4 times (3.9) times higher if the
defendant is black.

The lack of minorities in the legal decision-making process is one argument why
the death penalty is racially skewed. In the United States, 79 % of prosecutors
are white men, 16 % are white women; only 4 % of prosecutors are men of color,
and 1 % are women of color. That makes 95 % of the decision-makers white.

According to the study, prosecutors are key decision-makers in what level of
charges and sentences are pursued. This can contribute to large racial
disparities in sentencing.

Who are the decision-makers?

The death penalty could be sought after more than it actually is, particularly
with other races, but often it is not. One of the likely reasons for this
discrepancy is that almost all the prosecutors making the key decision about
whether a person will live or not are white. Only 1 % of the District Attorneys
in death penalty states are black, and only 1 % are Hispanic. The remaining are
white, and almost all are men. In Alabama, of 41 district attorneys in the
state, only 1 is black.

Another problem in prosecution is procedure. When a prosecutor is faced with a
crime in his community, he often consults with the family of the victim as to
whether the death penalty should be sought. If the victim's family is
prominent, white, and likely to support him in his next election, there may be
a greater chance for the death penalty to take place, according to the study.

Those who die because in these situations are not the individuals who usually
evoke the public's sympathy. While they have committed horrendous crimes, but
crimes are no less horrendous by white offenders or against black victims, yet
those killers are often spared death.

Racism in court

Also, racial slurs aren't a thing of the past in courtrooms. Blatant racism can
be seen and heard often in courts around the country. According to Deliberate
Indifference: Judicial Tolerance of Racial Bias in Criminal Justice by Bryan
Stevenson and Ruth Friedman, a prosecutor in Alabama gave as his reason for
striking several potential jurors the fact that they associated with Alabama
State University, an Historically Black University in the state.

In January, Superior Court Judge Roger Bradley of Georgia stepped down after
being investigated for using a racial slur in open court.

"When I first moved up to this county in 1974, I was actually introduced to a
fellow who lived right here behind the courthouse and he referred to himself,
as did everybody else in town, not in a disparaging manner, as (n-word) Bob,"
the judge said.

Severity of crimes

Murder cases become death eligible through certain aggravating factors which
make one murder "worse than another." The prosecutor is supposed to consider
the presence of such factors as whether a murder was committed with grave risk
to the life of others, whether the murder was committed in the course of
another serious crime such as robbery or rape, whether torture was a factor, or
whether the defendant had a significant violent history. The jury is similarly
told to consider those factors when deciding whether the sentence should be
life or death, once a guilty verdict is decided.

The race of the defendant is not supposed to influence whether a person is
sentenced to death, but often it is a determining factor in whether a defendant
will receive the penalty.

Race of the victims

The racial combination was most likely to result in a death sentence if the
defendant was black and the victim was of another race, regardless of how
severe the murder was committed, according to the study. Black-on-black crimes
were less likely to receive a death sentence, followed by crimes of other
defendants, regardless of the race of their victims. Few defendants of any race
are likely to get the death penalty in a case involving defendants with no
prior record and where the killing may have been accidental. The bulk of crimes
in mid-range severity, blacks who kill non blacks are more likely to receive
the death penalty than blacks who kill blacks, and they have death sentencing
rate much larger than the rate for defendants of other races who commit
similarly severe murders of black victims.

(source: Birmingham Times)