[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----CALIF.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon May 30 08:42:54 CDT 2016

May 30

CALIFORNIA:

Man on death row claims a Mexican loan shark is to blame for his mother and
stepfathers deaths

A Scot accused of shooting dead his mother and stepfather has blamed the
killings on a Mexican loan shark.

Derek Connell, 29, was arrested after the bodies of Paisley-born Kim
Higgin-botham and husband Christopher were found in a pool of blood at their
home in Bakersfield, California, on April 30.

Connell will face the death penalty if convicted.

According to newly released police transcripts, he initially blamed a Mexican
money lender called "Nacho" for the killings.

He said his stepdad had run up massive debts to Nacho - and that the mysterious
loan shark was responsible for shooting him.

Detective David Brooks, who grilled Connell, said: "I told him he was a coward
and that he should admit what happened to provide closure to the family."

Californian police were tipped off by concerned family members in Scotland who
had received a mobile phone message from Connell which read "mom is dead".

When officers arrived at the house they found Connell - originally from
Shawlands, Glasgow - trying to drive away in a 4x4 smelling of alcohol.

They also noticed he had blood on his trousers and marks consistent with bleach
stains.

He told them, "My parents are shot in the house", and was immediately
handcuffed and taken into custody.

Then over a series of interviews lasting more than 5 hours, unemployed oil
worker Connell gave officers his side of the story.

Senior detective Kenneth Sporer said throughout the grilling he "did not show
any emotion".

Connell claimed that, after discovering the bodies, he "lay down next to mom"
before attempting to clean up the crime scene using "that stuff you put in the
dishwasher".

He said he also planned to take the bodies to a funeral home "to avoid issues
with the police".

Asked what he would say to his mother and stepfather if they were in front of
him, he replied: "I love them."

Connell's next court appearance will be in July.used of shooting dead his
mother and stepfather has blamed the killings on a Mexican loan shark.

Derek Connell, 29, was arrested after the bodies of Paisley-born Kim
Higgin-botham and husband Chris-topher were found in a pool of blood at their
home in Bakersfield, California, on April 30.

Connell will face the death penalty if convicted.

(source: sundaypost.com)

*****************

Death penalty is not effective

After reading about our sheriff's support of a revision to the state's death
penalty law and also seeing his picture in your newspaper, a couple of
questions as well as a personal opinion came to mind. First, I wonder if the
sheriff could touch his toes or run a 50-yard dash in a reasonable time
commensurate with his age, but probably not his weight.

The news conference also brought to mind the fact that we are the only
so-called civilized, most powerful country in the world still executing people
for criminal behavior. The only difference between us and the Saudi Arabians is
they behead and mutilate people in public, but we don't have enough guts to do
the same.

If our law enforcement agencies believe that capital punishment reduces crime,
why do we have so many prisoners on death row in San Quentin? Hey, let's join
proud Texas in its fun and delight assassinating criminals.

Well, I guess it is one way of reducing the problem of crowded jail
populations.

(source: Letter to the Editor, Carl Larkin, Record Searchlight)

SUDAN: