[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----KAN., NEB., UTAH, CALIF., ORE., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue May 24 10:31:19 CDT 2016

May 24

KANSAS:

Freed man says Kansas should end the death penalty

A man who spent nearly 16 years in prison for a rape and killing to which his
brother confessed wants Kansas to pull the plug on the death penalty.

The Lawrence Journal-World reports that 39-year-old Floyd Bledsoe shared his
story over the weekend in the basement of a Lawrence church.

Bledsoe never faced the death penalty himself. But he was sentenced to life in
prison after he was convicted of raping and killing 14-year-old Camille
Arfmann. He was released in December after a DNA test and suicide notes
indicated his brother, Tom Bledsoe, killed Arfmann.

Bledsoe says the court system is flamed and questioned what would have happened
if he had been sentenced to death.

Kansas hasn't executed anyone since it reinstated capital punishment in 1994.

(source: Associated Press)

**************

The Death Penalty in Kansas

More than 9 years after the murder of their daughter, the parents of Jodi
Sanderholm are speaking out to KSN News, as the execution of the man convicted
in her murder, remains very much in doubt.

Jodi Sanderholm was 19 years old when she was murdered in Ark City, Kansas.Jodi
Sanderholm was 19 years old when she was murdered in Ark City, Kansas.

"I'm sure she, Jodi, pleaded for her life and he didn't give it to her," said
Cindy Sanderholm, Jodi's mother. "She didn't get a 2nd choice. She didn't get a
2nd chance," she added.

Arkansas City-native, Justin Eugene Thurber was 25-years-old when he was
sentenced to death in the murder of Sanderholm. Prosecutors said Thurber had a
habit of stalking young women. They said Thurber followed the Cowley County
College dancer home, abducted her, beat and raped her, then strangled her to
death.

For Cindy and Brian Sanderholm, life since their daughter's murder has never
been the same.

"She was just a very smart, talented little girl," said Cindy.

Brian and Cindy Sanderholm sat down with KSN's Brittany Glas to discuss the
death penalty process in Kansas.

Jodi's parents say they feel as though they were robbed of a life with their
young daughter, who they said, had a promising future.

"To me, she's always 19, and so, when I see her friends and they're getting
older, it's like, 'Gosh, what would she be doing?' 'What would she be like?'
Lots of ifs," added Cindy.

"We suffered through it this long," said Brian Sanderholm, the father of murder
victim, Jodi Sanderholm. "It's time for you [Thurber] to suffer."

Inmates Serving Death in Kansas

Thurber is now 1 of 10 inmates in the state of Kansas serving death sentences.
They are all on Kansas' version of "death row" at El Dorado Correctional
Facility, where they are housed on 'Administrative Segregation' status.

--Justin Eugene Thurber ----Convicted for 2007 murder of Jodi Sanderholm near
Arkansas City.

--Frazier Glenn Cross Jr. (aka Frazier Cross) ----Convicted for 2014 killing of
William Corporon, Reat Underwood and Terri LaManno in Kansas City.

--Gary Wayne Kleypas ----Convicted of 1996 raping and killing 20-year-old
Carrie Williams in Pittsburg.

--James Kraig Kahler ----Convicted for 2009 murder of Karen Kahler; daughters
Lauren and Emily Kahler and Karen Kahler's grandmother, Dorothy Wight in
Burlingame.

--John Edward Robinson, Sr. ----Capital conviction for 1999 killing of Izabela
Lewicka and the 2000 death of Suzette Trouten. He is accused of killing 7
women.

--Scott Dever Cheever ----Convicted for 2005 shooting of Greenwood County
Sheriff Matt Samuels during a drug raid.

--Sidney John Gleason ----Convicted for 2004 murder of Miki Martinez and Darren
Wornkey in Great Bend.

--Johnathan Daniel Carr ----The Carr brothers were convicted for the 2000
murders of Brad Heyka, Heather Muller, Aaron Sander and Jason Befort in
Wichita.

--Reginald Dexter Carr, Jr. ----The Carr brothers were convicted for the 2000
murders of Brad Heyka, Heather Muller, Aaron Sander and Jason Befort in
Wichita.

--Kyle Trevor Flack ----Convicted for 2013 murders of Kaylie Bailey, Lana
Bailey, Andrew Stout and Steven White near Ottawa.

A KSN Investigation concludes it is very likely that Jodi Sanderholm's killer,
along with the nine other inmates on our state's 'death row,' may never be
executed in the state of Kansas. This, due to the fact that Kansas' processes
are either non-existent, or designed to not carry out the sentence.

In fact, it has been so long since Kansas has executed an inmate with a death
sentence that it has become clear that the people responsible for carrying out
the sentence don't seem to know exactly what to do, or how to do it.

Since Kansas reinstated the death penalty in 1994, 22 years ago, no one has
been executed. The last time someone was executed in our state was 1965, by
hanging.

KSN went straight to the Kansas Department of Corrections to find out why.

"We haven't executed anyone in that time frame, and there's no time table to
have any other future executions," said Adam Pfannenstiel, the Communications
Spokesperson for KDOC.

That's right ... The state of Kansas doesn't have a plan on how to execute any
of the 10 inmates on 'death row.'

Hearing this infuriates the family of Jodi Sanderholm.

"I really figured they had a plan," said Cindy Sanderholm.

"I think it's a little shocking that Kansas reinstated the death penalty over
20 years ago, and there's not a plan yet," said Jennifer Aldridge, Jodi's older
sister. "I thought this would have been something that would have been
discussed 20 years ago when it was reinstated."

So then, what accounts for the delay?

Average number of years between sentencing and execution.Average number of
years between sentencing and execution.

The Appeals Process

First, the appeals process takes time ... in Kansas and across the United
States.

In the past 30 years, the average time between sentence to execution grew in
the U.S. from just over 6 years per inmate to 15.5 years.

However, Kansas is approaching 22 years without an execution ever.

Regional analysis, time from sentence to executionRegional analysis, time from
sentence to execution

Kansas' neighboring states, in the meantime, average nearly 1/2 that time: 12
years.

Our KSN Investigation learned that even when an appeals process is exhausted,
the state is not prepared for what comes next - whether that be the actual
order of execution and/or the act of carrying out the execution sentence.

KSN sat down with Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt.

"Unlike some of our neighboring states, like Oklahoma, Missouri, that have had
a death penalty law on the books longer, that have cases that have moved
through the system further, that have actually reached the point of carrying
out executions, Kansas isn't there yet," said Derek Schmidt.

"Nobody knows, with certainty, what step would follow, but I am certain we
would be closely involved in the legalities if that were to come. That's not
imminent in any of the cases," continued the Attorney General.

Because no executions are imminent, the Department of Corrections in Kansas,
the entity which would carry out the order, has no process, no time-table, and
no injection drugs in stock to fulfill any execution orders.

"There's no plans, no intentions to execute anyone," said Adam Pfannenstiel,
with the KDOC. "We'll be prepared when someone tells us that it's time, but, I
couldn't even predict when that would be."

Concerning injection drugs, Pfannenstiel said, "There's no reason for us to
have a supply or a supplier, at this time because there's no need for it."

The Sanderholms are frustrated with a lack of preparation on the part of our
state and what it means concerning the seriousness of Kansas statute.

"It's wrong that we, as a state, have a law on the books that says, 'If you
commit this crime, this is the punishment that you're going to get,' and then,
we turn around and don't issue the punishment," explained Jodi's father, Brian.
"Well ... we need to change the law. Don't have it on the books."

While the family members of victims like Jodi Sanderholm say the process is too
long, the Attorney General tells KSN News regardless, it is the process.

"There's no way to move a death penalty case at lightning speed," said Schmidt.
"We can do better than we're doing, but, it's not going to be a rapid process."

The Financial Factors

While the Sanderholm Family is impacted in a painful and very personal way
after losing their daughter, the state of Kansas and taxpayers in our state are
all impacted by the process, or lack thereof. In fact, for an inmate serving
time at El Dorado, the average annual cost of incarceration is $24,951, as
documented for Fiscal Year 2015. That number, divided by 365 days of the year,
equates to $68.36 per day.

However, it costs even more to house inmates serving death sentences and/or
sentences in Administrative Segregation.

According to a Kansas Legislative Post Audit Committee reported published in
2014, each of the inmate serving time in Administrative Segregation at El
Dorado, comes with an annual cost of nearly $49,000.

In fact, the Report of the Judicial Council's Death Penalty Advisory Committee
states:

"According to the DOC, the average annual cost to house an inmate in
administrative segregation is $49,380, or double the cost to house an inmate in
the general population. Administrative segregation is more expensive primarily
because of the need for more officers per inmate." --p. 13/27 Report of the
Judicial Council, February 13, 2014

"It hurts me so bad every week when I see my paycheck, and I know I'm paying
tax money to feed him," said Brian Sanderholm. Court Costs Death Penalty Case

Further, it is not only the cost to house an inmate sentenced to death.
Taxpayers also pay nearly 4 times the price to prosecute a case where the death
penalty if pursued by the prosecution - $395,000 per case - compared to only
$100,000 per case when the death penalty is not sought.

For the Sanderholms, taxes are added insult to an unbearable injury ... and a
grueling wait for justice in the case of their daughter, Jodi.

"[Death is] what he deserves, and that's what the law stated," said Cindy
Sanderholm. "So, we need to get the law fixed so we can use it."

"If it was your daughter, your son, it was our daughter, what would you want to
have happen?" asked Brian Sanderholm.

(source: KSN news)

NEBRASKA:

"Life means Life" is Argument to End Death Penalty

Opponents of the death penalty say it's a broken system, and replacing it with
a life sentence will guarantee the worst of the worst will remain locked up for
the rest of their days. Those who want to keep capital punishment, however,
make the case it remains a just penalty.

If voters retain the law ending the death penalty in Nebraska, it will be
replaced by a life sentence.

For an example of what that would look like, the case of Randy Reeves may
apply.

He was sentenced to death, after killing 2 women in Lincoln 35 years ago. In
1999, he was scheduled to go to the electric chair.

Kurt Mesner remembers, "It came down to within 48 hours of him being executed."

Mesner grew up in Central City with the Reeves, the man who killed his sister
Janet, and says his Quaker faith is why he has consistently argued against the
death penalty throughout his family's ordeal.

He said, "We need to turn the other cheek and that's the attitude that I have
always taken."

Mesner says Reeves' death shows life without parole works.

He said, "I never heard once from anybody bringing up he should be let out of
prison because they knew he did a horrible crime and was going to die one way
or the other."

Sen. Colby Coash says if voters end capital punishment, killers on death row
will never leave prison.

He said, "Hey, life means life. When a judge says you're sentenced to life,
case law is clear. Parole board has nothing to do with a life sentence."

But the governor, attorney general, and secretary of state can change a
sentence, as the 3 members of the Board of Pardons, something death penalty
supporters point out.

Bob Evnen, a Lincoln attorney said, "This happened in our state 3 years ago
where an inmate who'd been sentenced to life had his sentence commuted and was
paroled and committed another violent crime."

In the legislature, Coash made the conservative case against what he sees as a
failed government program.

Death penalty supporters agree there are problems, but say the focus should be
on being able to carry out an execution. Coash argues after 20 years without an
execution, and legal obstacles to obtaining lethal injection drugs, that there
is no reasonable expectation the state can go through with one.

"Do we have to go 30 years before we don't do this, before we say it's broken.
How many years do we have to go," he said.

Kurt Mesner says public opinion is changing, but thinks his view remains in the
minority.

"Right now I don't think it has changed enough to retain what the legislature
passed," he said.

Meanwhile, death penalty supporters say the legislature made a mistake.

Bob Evnen feels most Nebraskans think the legislature is wrong.

He said, "My hope is that the voters of the state will overwhelmingly repeal
the repeal and that this will send a message to the Unicameral that they need
to get to work on fixing the system. The big argument to throw out the death
penalty is the system is broken."

Evnen says the death penalty is needed to protect police officers and punish
those who are clearly guilty. He is leading the campaign known as Nebraskans
for the Death Penalty.

(source: nebraska.tv)

*******************

BROKEN BEYOND REPAIR----State senators call Nebraska's death penalty system
broken beyond repair

Several arguments were advanced on Monday morning by state Sen. Colby Coash of
Lincoln and state Sen. Mike Gloor of Grand Island in urging Nebraska voters to
uphold the action of the Legislature in doing away with the death penalty.

Voters will be asked in November to retain or reject the Legislature's decision
to abolish the death penalty.

Speaking at a press conference at Nathan Detroit's in Grand Island, both Coash
and Gloor argued that the system for enforcing the death penalty in Nebraska is
broken beyond repair.

"Going on next year, it will be 20 years since we've actually used it," Coash
said of the death penalty. He noted that, when he was elected to the
Legislature, he promised voters that, if he found government that wasn't
working, he would do all he could to get rid of it.

"I think the death penalty certainly fit that bill as we debated it," said
Coash, who served 8 years on the Judiciary Committee. "We looked at this issue
from all sides ... and our conclusion was this is a system we couldn't fix and
we were better off without it."

Coash said one question that was raised repeatedly during the Legislature's
debate last year was what would happen to people serving life in prison if
Nebraska got rid of the death penalty. "Does that mean that people who have a
life sentence would now be getting out?"

Coash said he asked the Nebraska attorney general for an opinion on that issue.

"His answer was, 'Life means life,' and a person sentenced to life is not going
to get out of prison," Coash said.

"Nothing about what the Legislature did changes anything with the parole
process, and a person sentenced to life is not going to be eligible for
parole," Coash said. "The only way that a person sentenced to life can ever get
out of prison is if the attorney general, the governor and the secretary of
state decide to commute that person's sentence."

Coash said he wants to make sure that all Nebraska voters understand that fact
before they vote in the November general election.

He said that system of 2 of the top 3 highest elected officials in Nebraska
needing to cast votes to commute a life sentence could have happened 5 years
ago when the death penalty was the law in Nebraska, it could happen today when
there is no death penalty statute, or it could happen a year from now, no
matter what voters decide in November.

Gloor noted that, for a long time, he supported having the death penalty in
Nebraska.

"I don't have an ethical problem with the death penalty," Gloor said, which is
evident from some of his previous votes. "I don't have any religious
persuasions that influence me."

However, Gloor said he does have a record as a person who can make difficult
decisions. He supported the death penalty through two rounds of debate last
year before he changed his mind.

"Why did I change my mind? It became clear to me, for reasons that Sen. Coash
just pointed out, we???re not going to be able to implement the death penalty,"
he said. "There are a host of reasons behind that. I think we're all familiar
with the lack of the ability to get the drugs necessary for injection."

However, legal wrangling and the appeals process also make it impossible to
carry out the death penalty in Nebraska. Gloor said that made him look at the
"cost associated with what is basically spinning our wheels and saying, this
makes no sense for the state of Nebraska."

Gloor said he has listened to the surviving family members of murder victims
who have politely told him that he is not the expert on the death penalty. He
said those people are the ones who get pulled back into hearings as the state
attempts to carry out the death penalty.

Gloor said they tell him their decades of experience make them believe Nebraska
is incapable of carrying out the death penalty.

Some people running for re-election are deliberately stirring up anger and
vitriol about the death penalty issue without researching how the system
actually works, he said.

Gloor said he understands the emotional pull of pro-death-penalty arguments,
because he was once influenced by them. But if state senators were faced with
any other state system as broken as the death penalty, he said, they would be
expected to fix it.

Gloor said he hopes people can look at his example and pull away from all the
emotional arguments surrounding the death penalty and see that it is simply not
working, which is why it should be abolished.

Regardless of the vote's outcome in November, the death penalty will not be
carried out, Gloor said. People should learn about the real expenses involved
in trying to carry out the death penalty. They should hold elected officials
accountable when they favor the death penalty but are unable to carry it out.

If the death penalty is reinstated, Gloor said, voters must hold
pro-death-penalty politicians accountable if they fail to carry out the law.

Conversely, Coash wondered if it will take 25 years or 30 years without an
execution before Nebraska voters believe the system is broken. Citizens were
told 8 years ago that the "last hurdle" to carrying out the death penalty was
changing the method to lethal injection, yet no execution has happened since
then.

Coash said the death penalty's emotional pull is because death row inmates have
committed horrific crimes and they deserve the death penalty.

"I don't think you have 2 senators up here who disagree with that," he said.

Coash said he has talked to surviving family members who favor the death
penalty and surviving family members who oppose it. He said families on each
side are being denied justice by a system in which 2 decades go by and the
state remains unable to carry out an execution.

(source: Grand Island Independent)

UTAH:

Restaurateur, LGBT pioneer dead; estranged husband arrested

The estranged husband of a well-known Salt Lake City restaurateur and LGBT
advocate who died in a house fire over the weekend has been arrested on
suspicion of murder and arson, authorities said.

Craig Crawford, 47, was booked after the blaze on Sunday killed 72-year-old
John Williams, the owner of the popular Market Street Grill and other
restaurants.

The fire occurred less than 3 weeks after Williams filed for divorce from
Crawford and sought a temporary restraining order that was rejected, court
records show.

No details were available in public documents to reveal what happened with the
couple or how long they were married.

Detectives say Crawford was in the house near the Utah State Capitol when the
fire started. He was later seen walking back to the house, but he never called
authorities to report the blaze, charging documents show.

When firefighters arrived, they heard somebody inside crying for help. They
found Williams and tried to revive him, but he died at the scene.

It was not clear if Crawford has an attorney yet.

An aggravated murder charge carries the possibility of the death penalty in
Utah.

Williams' friends and colleagues - many influential city and state leaders -
expressed shock and dismay about the death of the man they called a great
businessman and LGBT pioneer who was an instrumental figure in Salt Lake City.

Williams, whose parents were educators in Idaho, came to Utah to go to college
50 years ago and "changed the fabric" of the community, Utah state Sen. Jim
Dabakis said in a statement. The buildings he restored in Salt Lake City and
the restaurants he ran raised standards in the city, Dabakis said.

"The quiet bridges John built between the emerging LGBT community and the Utah
business world made this a better place for all of us to live," said Dabakis, a
gay Democrat.

Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski, the city's 1st openly gay mayor, said in
a statement that she's devastated by the loss of her dear friend and local
hero.

"There are patrons of the arts, sciences and education, but John Williams was a
patron of our city and helped it become the wonderful place it is today,"
Biskupski said.

Oakland: Defendant asks judge to dismiss jury in death penalty phase of trial

A convicted murderer asked a judge Monday if he could forgo the jury during the
penalty phase of his trial, in which jurors could recommend a death penalty
sentence.

In the midst of the penalty phase, which began last week, Darnell Williams
asked Judge Jeffrey Horner through his attorney Deborah Levy if he could give
up his right to the jury trial, against the advice of his attorneys. But Horner
said he would not allow such a waiver.

Williams, 25, was found guilty on May 6 of killing Alaysha Carradine on July
17, 2013 in Oakland by shooting at her and 2 other children and their
grandmother through an apartment door. He is said to have wanted to avenge the
death of his friend, who died earlier that same day. Williams thought the
killer's ex-girlfriend and children were inside the apartment, prosecutors
said.

He was also found guilty of killing Anthony Medearis, 22, in Berkeley on Sept.
8, 2013.

Before the jury arrived in the courtroom Monday morning, members of the
audience said Williams appeared as if he were crying -- his eyes were red, his
head was in his hands.

Williams made the request twice. The 1st time asking Horner through his
attorney if doing so would affect his appeal rights. Horner refused to answer,
saying it was "highly inappropriate" to give the defendant legal advice.

Horner took about 15 minutes Monday afternoon before returning to the courtroom
to announce his decision that the jury trial of the penalty phase would
continue.

If he had decided to dismiss the jury, both the prosecution and defense would
present evidence to the judge, who would make a sentencing recommendation.

This isn't the 1st time Williams went against his attorney's advice. During the
criminal trial, he insisted his cellphone be reexamined. When police did, they
found new photo evidence that linked Williams to the murder weapon used to kill
Alaysha.

The jury will decide whether to recommend a death penalty sentence, or life in
prison without the possibility of parole. The penalty trial resumes Tuesday.

(source: eastbaytimes.com)

OREGON:

Gary Haugen Has A New Execution Date, But Oregon's Death Penalty Moratorium
Remains

It's been almost 20 years since anyone was put to death in Oregon - 54 if you
don't count death row inmates who gave up their appeals and essentially
volunteered to be executed.

In fact, when announcing a moratorium on Oregon's death penalty in 2011,
then-Gov. John Kitzhaber said only those who say they're ready end up being
executed in Oregon.

"My hope and indeed my intention in taking this action today is to bring about
a long due reevaluation of our current policy and our current system of capital
punishment," Kitzhaber said 5 years ago.

Since then, 3 former Oregon chief justices have called for an end to the death
penalty. But Kitzhaber's hoped-for "reevaluation" has not happened.

After she came to office last year, Gov. Kate Brown said she would assemble a
panel to look into the death penalty in Oregon. But her press secretary, Brian
Hockaday, says she's now waiting for recommendations from her staff.

"She has asked general counsel to look into the matter on a national level and
then report back to her," he said. "And then that report will inform the policy
direction moving forward."

It's unclear when that report will be finished. Brown has said she'll let
voters know what she plans to do about capital punishment as governor before
the election - though she didn't specify which election.

Meanwhile, 34 inmates remain on death row. They're in their cells for 23 hours
a day and live in a sort of legal limbo.

Take Gary Haugen. He was originally sent to prison at 19 for murdering his
girlfriend's mother, though he received his death sentence for killing another
inmate.

Back in 2011, when Kitzhaber declared a moratorium on executions, Haugen said
he wanted to be put to death.

"Hey, it's hell," he said of prison. "To be away from your family, be away from
your loved ones, watch all your people die while you sit in this little 9-by-8
cage."

That was then. Today, Haugen says he doesn't want to die. His lawyer, Jeff
Ellis, says Haugen and other death-row inmates are being mistreated by the
state. "The Oregon law says that you can't simply let an execution date go by
and do nothing," Ellis said. "You have to take some action in court."

In a recent hearing, Judge Vance Day gave Haugen an execution date - Jan. 23,
2017. But it's not clear whether that will stick.

For one thing, Day relayed the new date orally, not in writing.

For another, it's not clear whether Brown will follow Kitzhaber's lead in
refusing to let the state carry out death sentences.

"I'm going to fight for my life," Haugen said in a recent telephone interview.
"I mean not only have I been on the longest reprieve in the history of our
country, my death warrant expired. And under statute, them doing nothing about
it means that my sentence expired. And if my sentence expired, why am I still
sitting on death row?"

As distasteful as people might find Haugen and his crimes, he may have a legal
point.

In a dissenting opinion, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer recently
questioned the constitutionality of the death penalty. He said it suffers from
"unconscionably long delays."

Carrie Leonetti, a University of Oregon School of Law associate professor,
agrees.

"Coming to terms with your death once would be hard. But coming to terms with
your death once every 10 years for 30 or 40 years, I can't actually imagine the
psychological torture," she said.

Still, Aliza Kaplan, a professor at Lewis & Clark Law School, doesn't think
Oregon needs to rush to come up with a new execution plan.

"Cases are moving forward, just like they were before the moratorium," she
said. "There's no likelihood that any of them are going to be executed anytime
soon."

In a way, the experts say, this legal uncertainty - we have the death penalty,
but it's unclear whether the governor will continue Kitzhaber's refusal to use
it - fits Oregon well.

Prosecutors can continue to use the death penalty as a tool, say to convince a
defendant accused of killing someone to consider a plea deal. At least until
Brown makes her decision, politicians can continue to embrace a general
reluctance to put anyone to death.

(source: opb.org)

USA:

The Data That Shows American Juries Are Racially Biased

It's been 30 years since Timothy Foster, a black man, was sentenced to death by
an all-white jury. Unfortunately, the problem of race in American jury
selection is still relevant today.

The Supreme Court ruled Monday that Timothy Foster, a black man sentenced to
death row in 1987 by an all-white jury, deserves a re-trial. Justices say
prosecutors in the trial abused their so-called peremptory challenges, the
limited number of potential jurors who lawyers may dismiss from jury duty
without stating a reason. According to a landmark ruling from 1986, the state
may not use peremptory strikes to exclude potential jurors based on race. Yet
prosecutors selecting the jury for Foster? - who confessed to and was convicted
of killing an elderly white woman? - dismissed all of the black prospective
jurors. In 2006, 1 of Foster's attorneys obtained the prosecution's notes,
which showed they highlighted the black prospective jurors' names, marked them
with a "B," and ranked them in case "it comes down to having to pick 1 of the
black jurors."

Foster's case may have been heard nearly 3 decades ago, but it brings up a
debate that's still hot today. Lawyers continue to discriminate based on race
in their peremptory challenges, according to critics. That's based on studies
of several American states and counties:

--Among death-row cases in North Carolina, prosecutors were 2.5 times more
likely to dismiss black jurors than white jurors, one 2012 study found. The
pattern didn't lessen with time, the study's authors wrote in the Iowa Law
Review, and it showed up independent of jurors' views on relevant issues such
as the death penalty and crime.

--In Caddo Parish, Louisiana, prosecutors were 3 times more likely to dismiss
black jurors than jurors of other races, according to an analysis by Reprieve
Australia, a group that advocates for an end to capital punishment. Between
2003 and 2012, none of the Caddo Parish juries comprising 2 or fewer black
jurors acquitted the defendant. A 12-person jury that reflected the racial
balance of the parish would include 5 black members? - and 19 % of such juries
acquitted.

--An analysis of 8 Southern states found white-biased jury selection in several
jurisdictions, including Houston County, Alabama, where 26 % of residents are
black. Between 2005 and 2009, 1/2 of Houston County juries were all-white, and
the other 1/2 included only 1 black member. The analysis?-?conducted by a
non-profit called Equal Justice Initiative, which offers legal representation
to those "whose trials are marked by racial bias or prosecutorial
misconduct"?-?also pointed to evidence that some district attorney's offices
trained lawyers to stealthily exclude racial minorities from jury service.

--Although most studies of juror dismissals examine the racial biases of
prosecutors, it works the other way too. In one North Carolina county, defense
attorneys disproportionately chose to dismiss whites, while state prosecutors
disproportionately chose to dismiss blacks, according to a 1999 study published
in the journal Law and Human Behavior.

Among the Equal Justice Initiative's recommendations for combating this
problem: training in anti-discrimination law for judges and lawyers, especially
those involved in capital cases; penalties for attorneys who break the law; and
the retroactive application of the 1986 Supreme Court ruling, Batson v.
Kentucky, which would mean older cases could be re-tried if lawyers are found
to have used their peremptory strikes in a racially biased way

(source: psmag.com)