[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----worlldwide

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sat May 21 09:43:36 CDT 2016

May 21

ISRAEL:

Israel plans death penalty for Palestinian militants

Israel is poised to introduce the death penalty for Palestinian militants after
Binyamin Netanyahu invited an ultra-nationalist party to join his coalition
government.

The rightwinger Avigdor Lieberman made capital punishment a key demand in
negotiations this week for his party to shore up Mr Netanyahu???' coalition,
with Mr Lieberman handed the defence portfolio. Sources from Mr Lieberman's
Yisrael Beiteinu party and the ruling Likud said that the prime minister had
agreed.

It would be a major policy shift for Israel, which has only ever executed one
person: the Nazi officer Adolf Eichmann, who was hanged in 1962 for genocide.

(source: The Times)

MALAYSIA:

Does the death penalty benefit society?

Singapore's decision to go ahead with the execution of Sarawakian Kho Jabing
has been met with mixed reactions on both sides of the Causeway, which is not
surprising, given that the question of whether to abolish the death penalty has
been hotly debated in recent years.

However, the debate tends to flare only when there is a high profile case. It
dies down when another issue starts to dominate the news.

Perhaps one reason for the intense public interest in Kho's case is that it
involves a Malaysian condemned to death by a foreign court. He was found guilty
of killing a Chinese national during a robbery attempt in 2008.

Parliament heard this week that 1,041 people are on death row in Malaysia. It
is unlikely that all 1,041 will get as much media attention as Kho has.

Regardless of how one feels about capital punishment, it is important for us as
a nation to discuss the issue of capital punishment and whether it serves any
good.

Supporters of the death penalty have always cited it as a deterrent for crimes,
but there has been no conclusive proof that it indeed serves as a deterrent.

Another aspect of the question is whether capital punishment truly delivers
justice. If someone on death row happens to be the sole breadwinner for his
family, are we being just to his family if we execute him?

The question also has an economic aspect. Taxpayers have to foot the bill for
the inmate's upkeep until the day he is executed. How does this serve justice?
This aspect of the issue, of course, covers all prison inmates, not just those
on death row.

This is not to say that criminals should not have to pay their debt to society,
but we should talk about different ways of making them pay. There are many
ideas that have been put to practice in several countries.

There are some projects in which prisoners are made to work in farms or prison
bakeries. Their farm produce or breads and cakes are consumed inside prison.
This reduces the food bill that the public has to foot. In some cases, the
output is donated to charity. In still other cases, it is sold to the public
and the income channelled to the prisoners' families.

These ideas are especially worth considering if we're thinking of replacing the
death penalty with life imprisonment. Until we start discussing these ideas,
it's unlikely that the discourse on capital punishment will get anywhere beyond
the short-lived debates occasioned by high-profile cases.

(source: freemalaysiatoday.com)

INDONESIA:

Third round of executions to probably take place after Idul Fitri: AG

Attorney General Muhammad Prasetyo always has his own way of explaining the
reasons behind the continual delays of the 3rd round of executions of death row
inmates despite the already well-managed preparations at the execution site on
the Nusakambangan prison island in Central Java.

>From late last year until recent times, the former grandee of the progovernment
Nasdem Party cited a number of reasons, including the slowing economy, the need
to maintain bilateral harmony and ongoing legal processes, for delaying the
executions. On Thursday he argued that it was unethical to conduct the
executions within the next 2 months because of the preparations being made by
the country to observe Ramadhan, which is scheduled to begin on June 6.
Ramadhan will run until July 7, after which Muslims nationwide will celebrate
Idul Fitri on July 8 and 9 to mark the end of the holy month.

Prasetyo assured the public that no executions would be done before or during
Ramadhan, with the most probable firm date of execution to be decided after
Idul Fitri.

"If it is before Lebaran [Idul Fitri] then it means during the fasting month.
Conducting executions during the holy month will not sound right," Prasetyo
told reporters, adding that he did not yet know when after Idul Fitri the
Attorney General's Office ( AGO ) would officially set the execution date.

Although the government has announced that the 3rd round of executions is on
the way, the schedule and list of those to be executed are not yet available,
causing anxiety among inmates, their lawyers and anti-death-penalty
campaigners. The only available information on the executions comes from the
Central Java Police, which has claimed to have readied 150 executioners to
shoot 10 foreigners from China ( 4 ), Nigeria ( 2 ), Pakistan ( 1 ), Senegal (
2 ) and Zimbabwe ( 1 ), in addition to 5 Indonesians, on the isolated Island.

However, Prasetyo did not clarify nor confirm the figure, stating that his
office had yet to officially issue the date of the executions and the names as
well as number of death row inmates who will face the firing squads.

"Well, what I can say is that on [May] 25th there will be another inmate who
will file for a case review," Prasetyo said of another possible barrier that
may cause a delay for the 3rd round of executions.

AGO spokesman Amir Yanto emphasized that Filipino drug convict Mary Jane
Veloso, who at least temporarily escaped execution last year when her alleged
boss was arrested in the Philippines and the local authorities requested the
Indonesia government reopen the case, and Indonesian drug kingpin Freddy
Budiman would not be on the list that would be announced by the AGO.

"Mary [Jane Veloso] is needed by the Philippine authorities to solve a human
trafficking case [involving her], while the case review hearing of [Freddy] is
ongoing," Amir said.

Recently, the Supreme Court rejected case review pleas filed by 4 Chinese
nationals: Chen Hongxin, Jian Yuxin, Gan Chunyi and Zhu Xuxiong. It remains
unclear whether the 4 were the Chinese nationals mentioned by Central Java
Police.

The 4 Chinese men were found guilty of drug trafficking following a 2005 police
raid on what was dubbed at the time Southeast Asia???s largest illicit drug
factory in Banten, along with Frenchman Serge Areski Atlaoui, who also escaped
execution last year because of an 11th-hour attempt by his lawyer to file for a
case review, which was eventually rejected by the Supreme Court.

Veloso's lawyer Agus Salim said his client was scheduled to be questioned by
the Philippine authorities for the human trafficking case in the near future.

"I don't know when the interrogation will take place, but both the Indonesian
and the Philippine governments have arranged the questioning session for my
client," he told The Jakarta Post.

Supreme Court spokesman Suhadi said he did not know how many death row inmates
had appealed for clemency from the President.

(source: The Jakarta Post)

PAKISTAN:

Against military court's order: SC issues notices over militant's conviction

The top court has issued notices to the Attorney General for Pakistan (AGP) and
the Judge Advocate General (JAG) branch - the legal department of Pakistan Army
- on the handing down of a death sentence by a military court to a young
prisoner, Aksan Mehboob.

Convicted by a military court, Mehboob was one of the nine terrorists whose
death sentence was ratified by army chief General Raheel Sharif on January 2.

According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Mehboob, son of Asghar
Ali, was an active member of al Qaeda. He was involved in attacks on
law-enforcement personnel and military installations which claimed several
lives.

"He admitted to his offences before the magistrate and the trial court. He was
tried on 4 charges and awarded the death sentence," the ISPR had said.

The Supreme Court's 3-judge bench headed by Justice Amir Hani Muslim on Friday
took up the plea, wherein the death penalty of Mehboob was challenged.

Representing the convict's family, Col (retd) Muhammad Akram argued that
Mehboob's family was unaware of the reasons for which he was handed down the
death sentence.

Justice Amir Hani Muslim observed that those who take the lives of others
should be hanged. He also observed that the application was filed 38 days after
expiry of the 30-day period.

The counsel responded that since the father of the convict lived in a far-flung
area he there was a delay in the filing of the plea. After hearing the
arguments, the bench issued notice to the AGP and the respondents and adjourned
the hearing for 1 week.

(source: Express Tribune)

BELARUS:

Halt Execution of Siarhei Khmialeuski

see:
http://www.amnestyusa.org/get-involved/take-action-now/belarus-halt-execution-of-siarhei-khmialeuski-ua-12216

(source: Amnesty International USA)

***************

EU chides Belarus over recent increase in death penalties

The European Union is complaining to Belarus about what it calls an upsurge in
death sentences over the past months.

The 28-nation EU also joined the United Nations in criticizing Belarus for
reneging on its international commitments, including a moratorium on the use of
the death penalty. The EU said Belarus courts had already passed 3 death
sentences so far this year.

The statement said the EU nations "expect Belarus, the only country in Europe
still applying capital punishment, to join a global moratorium on the death
penalty as a 1st step toward its abolition."

Belarus is not part of the EU.

(source: Associated Press)

SINGAPORE:

'Disgraceful', Amnesty International says of Kho Jabing's hanging

Amnesty International condemned today the execution of Sarawakian Kho Jabing in
Singapore that was carried out hours after his appeal against the sentence was
rejected.

"It is disgraceful that Kho Jabing was executed, particularly with such
indecent haste, after his final appeal was denied this morning," said Josef
Benedict, deputy director of Amnesty International's South East Asia and
Pacific Regional Office, in a statement.

"Clemency should have been granted, more so given the uncertainty and divided
opinion surrounding Kho Jabing's fate over the past 6 years. Singapore is at a
crossroads.

"It must decide whether it wants to join most of the world by protecting human
rights and ridding itself of the death penalty, or remain among the minority of
countries that insist on the implementation of this cruel and inhumane
punishment," he added.

International newswire AFP reported Singapore police as confirming that
32-year-old Kho was hanged today, 6 years after he was sentenced to death in
2010 for murdering a construction worker.

Kho's case had sparked a renewed debate on the death penalty as he was
re-sentenced to life imprisonment in 2013 after Singapore amended its mandatory
death sentence for murder, but the prosecution appealed and the Malaysian's
death sentence was reinstated in 2015.

Kirsten Han from Singapore anti-death penalty group We Believe in Second
Chances said death row inmates should be seen as people who have made mistakes,
bad decisions, and who might have been cruel but have families and struggles.

"The government says it kills people like Jabing to keep us safe.

"I don't know how Jabing's death has kept me safe; it's simply made me feel
more hurt, more outraged and more fearful of a cold state machinery that knows
no compassion, that would rush a man to his death out of procedural
efficiency," Han wrote on Facebook.

The Star reported Malaysian Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Nancy
Shukri as saying in a written parliamentary reply Tuesday that Putrajaya has
yet to decide on whether to amend the mandatory death penalty. Capital
punishment in Malaysia is imposed on offences like murder and drug trafficking.

(source: themalaymailonline.com)

******************

Amnesty International urges S'pore to abolish death penalty----The risk of
executing an innocent person can never be eliminated as long as the death
penalty is kept on the law books.

Amnesty International (AI) has urged the authorities in Singapore, in a
strongly-worded statement, to immediately halt all executions and commute all
death sentences, as 1st steps towards the full abolition of the death penalty.

The execution of Kho Jabing marks a huge step backwards for Singapore which has
reduced the implementation of the death penalty in recent years, added the
statement. "Following the official moratorium on executions established in
Singapore from 2012 to 2013, at least 13 people have had their death sentences
reviewed and eventually commuted."

"New sentencing discretion has resulted in several individuals being spared the
gallows."

AI was "strongly condemning" the sudden execution of Kho Jabing, undertaken
with "shameful haste" on Friday. "The rushed execution, that occurred mere
hours after his final appeal was rejected, marked a cruel and inhuman end to
Kho Jabing's life after a 6 year legal battle in the courts."

In this instance, said AI, it also has strong concerns around the basis on
which the death sentence of Kho Jabing was re-imposed, after a split decision
in the courts. "In modern day Singapore, the answer to crime does not lie
within the hangman's noose."

"Moreover, there's no evidence that the death penalty was more of a deterrent
to crime than life imprisonment."

AI opposes the death penalty in all cases without exception regardless of the
nature of the crime. "The taking of another's life by execution is the ultimate
cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment," said the statement. "The risk of
executing an innocent person can never be eliminated as long as the death
penalty is kept on the law books."

"Such practices violate the right to life, a fundamental right of every human
being."

Furthermore, said AI, under international law and standards the use of the
death penalty must be restricted to the "most serious crimes" which has been
interpreted to mean intentional killing.

Kho Jabing, a Malaysian national, was executed at 3.30pm on 20 May 2016. Kho
Jabing and a co-defendant were convicted of murder on 30 July 2010 and both
were sentenced to the mandatory death penalty.

However, after the 2012 review of the mandatory death penalty laws, on 14
August 2013, the High Court found the murder to be non-intentional and
resentenced Kho Jabing to life imprisonment and 24 strokes of the cane.

On 14 January 2015, the Court of Appeal re-imposed the death penalty on Kho
Jabing in a 3-to-2 split decision.

An appeal admitted on 3 November 2015, 3 days before his scheduled execution,
was dismissed on 5 April 2016.

Another last minute application by his lawyers, granted on 19 May 2016,
resulted in a temporary stay of execution.

On the morning of 20 May 2016, Kho Jabing appeared in Court, hoping for a
chance of reprieve. However, he was executed not long after this appeal was
dismissed.

(source: freemalaysiatoday.com)

INDIA:

Death by injustice----The poor and vulnerable form 74 % of the total number of
death row convicts in India

A couple of weeks ago, I found myself on stage with the eminent Supreme Court
(SC) lawyer, Nitya Ramakrishnan, and one of the sitting SC justices, Madan
Lokur. We were discussing the death penalty - to be more precise, the contents
of a painstaking report brought out by the project on the death penalty at the
National Law University, Delhi (NLUD). India is one of the few countries in the
world that still retains the death penalty, and although there is debate on the
issue - whether it relates to people like Afzal Guru or the assassins of Rajiv
Gandhi - very few of us have actual details on those who end up on death row.
The "celebrity" prisoners though are not a representative sample, even if they
are what we talk about.

It took 3 years to complete the report. The research was conducted by NLUD
students under the guidance of Dr Anup Surendranath, director of the death
penalty project. When I mean research, I mean "search". There is no centralised
database on death penalty prisoners. As they are housed in state prisons, the
Central government doesn't have up-to-date information on who is in which jail,
what condition they are in, the status of their appeals, if any, or even if
they are dead or alive. Considering there are only 385 prisoners on death row -
something the project discovered - this should not be that difficult a number
to track. But we do not do this. Though the death penalty is supposed to be
used in the "rarest of rare" cases, we seem to care little about what happens
to them.

In his presentation at the launch, Surendranath, in no uncertain terms, said
that our criminal justice system - as shown by the findings of the project - is
underperforming, if not broken. Part of the reason behind this is found in the
report itself. As part of the documentation on socio-economic profiles of the
prisoners, it was found that 74 % of the prisoners are economically
disadvantaged. More than 85 % had not finished secondary school. Surendranath
added that the SC confirmed only 4.5 % of the sentences awarded by district
courts. In at least 30 % of the cases the prisoner was acquitted, while the
rest were commuted.

As these statistics make clear, it is the poor and uneducated - unable to
defend themselves - who are sentenced to death. Justice Lokur mentioned how,
quite often, such defendants fail to understand the case being presented
against them, and cannot even give correct answers. It also became clear that
many of the lawyers representing the prisoners did not explain the case to the
client or provide updates on the same. In other words, the government routinely
sentences people to death, and the poorest and most vulnerable among them
disproportionately pay the heaviest price.

Fundamentally, a system that punishes the poor for being poor is an unjust
system. From the details that emerge from the report - including that of
custodial torture on a wide scale, a topic that Ramakrishnan has documented in
her book - it is clear that the criminal justice system of India does not
really dispense justice when it comes to death penalties. That is a fairly
terrible indictment of 1 of the pillars of the state.

I asked Justice Lokur about where we go from here. His response is worth
reflecting upon, not merely because he is a sitting SC judge, but because of
its importance to the idea of a Republic built on logical argument.

"I remain an optimist," he said, and pointed out that such a study is the way
that change happens. Nothing can transform without research, without data or
discussion. Research by universities, NGOs and other institutions have brought
these issues to light. "You have a few more such reports," he said, "and you'll
see how things correct themselves."

Too many of us believe that an institutional democracy - one where an
individual is allowed to vote freely and fairly - is good in itself. It is not.
Democracy is a means to a good, and that good can only be achieved if democracy
is informed by facts, by research, and by options. Our republic gives us the
framework to debate, but we must fill it with the data necessary to move
forward, and much of that data will be of injustices. It is only by uncovering
them, discussing them, and finding solutions to them that a democracy becomes
valuable, otherwise we can reduce the Parliament to an arena for shouting
matches full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Omair Ahmad is the Asia Editor for The Third Pole; thehindubusinessline.com)

PHILIPPINES:

NPC won't support Duterte's death policy

Nationalist People's Coalition (NPC) will not support death penalty just yet
even if the party already signed a coalition deal with presumptive President
Rodrigo Duterte's Partido Demokratiko Pilipino (PDP)-Laban that regards the
restoration of the capital punishment as a priority.

Quezon Rep. Mark Enverga, the spokesman for the NPC, noted that they backing
discussions on the revival of the death penalty, but they are not committed to
a favorable vote for it now.

"For now, our position is that we are willing to give it (death penalty) a
chance to see the light of day in Congress. We are willing to subject it to
debates...for it to be discussed by the members of Congress, because we don't
know to what degree the death penalty will be imposed," Enverga told the Manila
Times.

Duterte won an overwhelming mandate of 16 million votes because of his bold
promise of drastic change by killing criminals, as well as killing those
resisting arrest, to eradicate crime in three to six months. He later
backtracked that he can only suppress it.

NPC, on the other hand, is the second largest political party in the country
headed by food and brewery tycoon Eduardo "Danding" Cojuangco, Jr.

"Would it be for drug traffickers; for heinous crimes? We are yet to identify
the magnitude of the crimes that will be punishable by death penalty. If the
proposal takes shape, then we can consult among each other if it would be
helpful for our country in terms of maintaining public order and safety,"
Enverga pointed out.

The Philippines abolished the death penalty for heinous crimes in 2006.

"Before [in 2006], we had no party stand on the matter. It was left to the
choice of the of the NPC members during that Congress. But now, it is different
because there is an overwhelming majority of people in favor of President
Duterte and his policy [on death penalty]. That says so much about the
sentiment of the public so we want to give it a chance to be deliberated,"
Enverga said.

"But as of the moment, everything is vague. Until we see the final version, we
can't decide. For now, we want it deliberated upon so we can also hear the
opposition to it," he added.

Earlier in the day, the NPC committed to support the Duterte administration and
its policies through a coalition agreement signed by the leaders of both
parties.

"This is to support President Rodrigo Duterte and congressman Pantaleon Alvarez
as the next Speaker of the House. It binds as well the entire apparatus of the
party in support of their programs," NPC president and Isabela Rep. Giorgidi
Aggabao said.

PDP-Laban president and Sen. Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel 3rd, underscored that the
NPC-PDP-Laban coalition will manifest beyond the ceremonial signing of
documents.

"The legislative agenda of the President could be captured and determined in
these phrases: support for federalism, all-out search for peace; all-out war
against crime, drugs and corruption; expansion of the middle class; tax reform,
addressing the concerns of the common man and inclusive growth, so that
economic growth will be felt at the lower level. We expect the NPC siding to
this core legislative agenda which are not objectionable," Pimentel said.

"This is not a cosmetic agreement. This is based on substance. As the President
of the NPC mentioned, this is a support not only for the personalities but also
to the agenda of President Duterte. Maybe the NPC can start adjusting their
perspective on federalism, give it a chance to be adopted," he added.

Alvarez of Davao del Norte declared that the restoration of the death penalty
is as good as done.

"We will be going for the reinstatement of death penalty, definitely. I am
confident that it will be passed," he said.

(source: Manila Times)

*****************

Clamor vs death penalty reimposition mounts

Reviving death penalty would be an international embarrassment for the
Philippines, Amnesty International (AI) said on Friday even as it pointed out
that the country is a signatory to various covenants on human rights, including
the protocol to abolish the capital punishment.

AI Philippines vice chair Romeo Cabarde Jr. said there is also no logical
connection between imposing death penalty and reducing crime rate, citing the
increase in the country's crime rate in 1999 when 7 convicts were executed by
the Estrada administration.

"We call on the incoming president to carefully think about the policy
proposals under his administration in order to ensure that none of his proposed
measures will contravene the very commitment we made before the world," Cabarde
said in a media forum in Quezon City.

The group presented a program of action to be submitted to presumptive
President-elect Rodrigo Duterte to ensure that human rights is made a priority
and embedded in all government agencies and programs.

"Putting an end to extrajudicial executions, unlawful arrests, secret
detention, enforced disappearances, torture and other ill-treatment is 1 of our
non-negotiables for President Duterte," AI Philippines chair Ritz Lee Santos
III said.

In a news conference after the May 9 elections, Duterte said bringing back the
death penalty would be a central part of his war on crime.

Breaking promise?

Cabarde noted that the Philippines is a state party to the Second Optional
Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights which aims
for the worldwide total abolition of death penalty.

"What kind of face are we going to show the rest of the world, having promised
at a certain point that we will eradicate death penalty and here comes a new
leader who wants to reimpose death penalty just because he wants to curb
criminality," Cabarde said.

Based on the Commission on Human Rights report cited by Cabarde, the crime rate
in 1999 even increased by 15.3 % or a total of 82,538 compared with the
previous year's 71,527 cases despite the executions of death row convicts.

Meanwhile, European diplomats and civil rights advocates have also raised
concern on the reimposition of death penalty in the Philippines, saying it is
anti-poor and will not deter crimes.

Numbers game in Congress

German Ambassador to the Philippines Thomas Ossowski said the reimposition of
death penalty is contrary to the human rights principles that the Philippines
is known for in the world.

"Germany is very adamant in that (the reimposition of death penalty). We are
against death penalty," said Ossowksi in an interview Thursday night at the
Friedrich Naumann Foundation (FNF) anniversary in Makati.

Former Deputy Speaker Lorenzo "Erin" Tanada III, who espoused the bill to
repeal the death penalty, expressed hopes that lawmakers will vote against the
proposal to reimpose it.

"It's going to be a numbers game in Congress and those who voted for the repeal
of death penalty in 2006 have been reelected and hopefully they will maintain
their position and vote against its reimposition," said Tanada in an interview
at the sidelines of the FNF event.

Jules Maaten, outgoing country director of FNF, said "state killing" through
capital punishment sends a wrong signal "that every person can also commit
killings."

(source: inquirer.net)