Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon May 2 16:25:20 CDT 2016

May 2

PHILIPPINES:

Miriam wants death penalty re-imposed

Presidential candidate Miriam Defensor-Santiago now wants the death penalty
re-imposed following rampant criminality in the streets and thievery in
government.

She bared her change of mind on capital punishment during a no-holds barred
interview with STAR editors and reporters at the newspaper's offices in Port
Area, Manila last Saturday.

Santiago said she voted against re-imposing the death penalty when it was
discussed in the Senate.

"But today, yung mga ginagawa ng mga kababayan natin, eh makakapatay ka talaga
eh (With what our countrymen are doing, you would really want to kill). Yes,
I'm seriously reconsidering my previous decision."

Santiago said the influence of the Catholic Church had also swayed her previous
decision.

"Before the arguments were very clear-cut," she said. "And I felt I had no
choice because of the lobby of the Catholic Church perhaps."

Santiago said she also wants death penalty for plunderers.

"The moment (one) flunks an ... investigation, off you go," she said.

Santiago remains optimistic on her chances in the presidential race despite the
"commercial survey firms," which she said were in a conspiracy with her rivals
to force her to withdraw.

Santiago said she was still "enthusiastic," although the campaign had taxed her
physically.

"I could have rested but instead I went stumping all over the country and they
(grabbed) me all around," she said. "But I'm very enthusiastic because the
crowds are so big, you can see them on TV."

(source: Philippine Star)