Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon May 2 10:27:11 CDT 2016

May 2

SAUDI ARABIA:

Women more resistant to beheading: Saudi Executioner----Most of those going to
execution appear to be in trance; The executioner denied reports that those
sentenced to death are drugged just before their execution.

Convicted women sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia have been more resistant to
beheading than men, prompting authorities to change the execution method to
shooting, a well-known Saudi executioner has said.

Abu Bandar Al Bishi, a massive man who has beheaded scores of convicted
criminals in public places in the Gulf Kingdom, said most of those brought to
the execution area appear to be in "trance" ahead of their death.

Quoted by the Saudi daily Sabq, he denied social media reports that those
sentenced to death are drugged just before their execution.

"Those brought for execution are not drugged...there is no medical intervention
in their execution...they just appear to be in trance or half dead," Bishi
said. "As for women, they are more resistant to execution than men...we used to
behead them but the verdict has been changed to executing them by shooting.

He said many convicts make requests just before their execution, adding that
one asked for a cigarette. "Of course we did not give him a cigarette...if he
had asked to pray before his death, then it would have been much better."

Bishi said he uses a gun to execute women by shooting them in the head, adding
that he does not stick to doctor's instructions to shoot them in the heart.

"The doctor draws a mark towards the heart on the convict's back...but I shoot
them in the head because the bullet may miss the heart target if the convict
moves.

(source: emirates247.com)

PHILIPPINES:

Filipino Catholic groups endorse opposition candidates ---- Son of late
dictator Marcos picks up support from key pro-life, charismatic groups

The Philippine's largest Catholic charismatic movement and other pro-life
groups have endorsed candidates identified with the country's political
opposition for the May 9 presidential and vice presidential race.

On May 1, the influential El Shaddai Charismatic Renewal Movement distributed
"sample ballots" that carry the names of Vice President Jejomar Binay and Sen.
Ferdinand Marcos Jr., who are running for president and vice president,
respectively.

The group, which claims a following of 3 to 8 million Filipinos, earlier called
on its members not to vote for presidential candidate Rodrigo Duterte, who has
come under fire for joking about the rape and murder of an Australian
missionary.

Binay, meanwhile, has figured in several money-laundering investigations of
alleged ghost accounts in a series of corruption charges, while support for
Marcos could pave the return to power of the Marcos family, who ruled the
country in a dictatorial grip for 2 decades until 1986.

El Shaddai leader Mariano "Mike" Zuniega Velarde, better known as Brother Mike
Velarde, said he will make the official announcement of candidates that his
group will support on May 3, when the result of an informal survey of members
comes out.

"On Tuesday, I will make it known to you," said Velarde. "I have distributed
something like a survey form. We will know the sentiments of everyone," added
the charismatic leader.

Velarde said candidates for president, vice president, and senators were
invited to address an overnight prayer vigil and celebration over the weekend,
but only Binay, Sen. Grace Poe, and administration candidate Manuel Roxas
attended the event.

Among the vice presidential candidates only Marcos and Sen. Francis Escudero
attended.

"We did not forget them. We invited them here. But it seems they forgot us. So
if they forgot us, we can also forget them," said Velarde.

'One step away from presidency'

Velarde allowed candidates who were present at the overnight vigil to speak
before the crowd after the celebration of the Eucharist.

Poe, who comes second in most poll surveys among presidential candidates vowed
a "fair government" if ever elected. "Like what God wants us to do, I will do
my best to fight poverty," she said.

"As a mother, I will look into the welfare of the family ..., a family with
enough income, a family that can provide education to the children, a family
with enough food on the table," Poe said.

Binay promised a leadership that "recognizes, respects, and follows the Word of
God ..., a leadership the respects women, a leadership that shows good example
to children."

Roxas, who arrived late during the celebration, reminded the people of their
responsibility during the coming elections. "Shall we continue with a path that
has already brought us this far, or are we going to turn around?" said Roxas.

"May the Lord guide us in our decision," he added.

Marcos, meanwhile, called for unity for the country to "experience change,
development, and a good life." He called on Filipinos to join him to face a
"beautiful future that we can only achieve through unity."

Anti-death penalty, anti-abortion

Other Catholic "pro-life" groups said they will be supporting the candidacy of
Binay and Marcos because of the candidates' anti-death penalty and
anti-abortion stance.

Congressman Lito Atienza, representative of the Catholic conservative Buhay
(Life) Party in Congress, said his group has banded with the Pro-Life
Philippines Foundation, which claims some 2.5 million members, to support Binay
and Marcos.

Atienza expressed fear that if Poe, who used to live in the United States, is
elected president, "she will promote abortion and the use of contraceptives
that pro-life groups oppose."

"Only Binay has a clear-cut position on preserving the sanctity of life. He
values life," said Atienza.

"We followed [Marcos'] political career and found that he is pro-life. All his
legislations are geared at protecting and preserving life," said Eric Manalang,
president of Pro-Life Philippines Foundation.

Another conservative Catholic group, the Servant Communities, also announced
its endorsement of Binay and his running mate Sen. Gregorio Honasan, a former
military colonel.

Velarde said whoever El Shaddai and the other Catholic groups will support in
the coming elections will win. "Remember this, whoever it is we agree to
support will win," he said.

(source: ucanews.com)

INDONESIA:

Next round of Indonesian executions doesn't include Mary Jane----The Filipina
on death row was given a last-minute reprieve last year

Filipina Mary Jane Veloso, who is on death row for allegedly smuggling drugs in
the country, will not be among the next round of criminals executed by the
Indonesian government.

In September, Indonesia halted executions, saying it was not their priority at
the moment, but has recently announced it would resume them again.

The update raised fears as to whether Veloso would be among those to be
executed, but the Attorney General's Office quelled concerns of Veloso's
inclusion.

"We respect the legal process that is taking place in the Philippines," said
Attorney General HM Prasetyo, as quoted by local reports.

He did not disclose as to when the next round of executions would be, only
saying it would not be in May, and that "it is only a matter of time."

Indonesia has been in the spotlight in past months due to their death penalty,
specifically their executions of foreign nationals.

Australia, for instance, had mounted a sustained campaign to save its citizens,
who had been on death row for almost a decade, with the prime minister
repeatedly appealing for them to be spared. The appeals did not work.

Amnesty International has also condemned the executions as "utterly
reprehensible" in a statement from research director for Southeast Asia and the
Pacific, Rupert Abbott.

The Penal Code of Indonesia states that death-sentenced inmates are to be
executed by firing squad, out of public view. The inmate is informed of his or
her execution only 72 hours in advance. The inmate can stand or sit, and have
his or her eyes covered by a blindfold or a hood.

Case pending

On April 29, 2015, the execution of Veloso, one of 9 drug convicts scheduled
for execution, was delayed.

The 8 other drug trafficking convicts - which included 7 foreigners and one
Indonesian - were put to death early that morning on a prison island after
Indonesia defied international criticism and heartrending pleas from relatives.

Prasetyo said an exception was made for Veloso "because there was a last-minute
plea from the Philippine President. There was someone who surrendered today.
She claimed she was the one who recruited Mary Jane."

In 2010, Indonesia sentenced the 30-year-old Veloso to death on charges of drug
smuggling. Veloso, a single mother of 2 from Nueva Ecija, had flown to Malaysia
with the intention of securing a job as a domestic helper.

She claimed that her recruiter, Maria Kristina Sergio, had duped her into
flying to Indonesia and bringing a suitcase with 2.6 kilograms of heroin hidden
in the lining. Veloso has consistently maintained her innocence.

Sergio's case is pending in Philippine courts.

In January however, Prasetyo told Rappler they have not yet decided when to
execute Veloso, but they "are ready" if ever it is ordered.

He said however, that the government is still waiting for the outcome of
Sergio's ongoing case - although a guilty verdict will not automatically change
her status of being on death row.

"We will look at the verdict, perhaps the verdict can be new evidence to appeal
for clemency from the president," he said. "But surely Mary Jane will not be
free from punishment."

He added, "The fact is that she smuggled drugs to Indonesia, and she was caught
red handed at the airport."

Urged whether the "punishment" means death, Prasetyo only said, "we'll see."

(source: rappler.com)

AUSTRALIA:

Operation Fox Hunt: Law council says extradition treaty with China is 'a joke'

The national peak body representing the legal profession in Australia has urged
the federal government not to ratify an extradition treaty with China, citing
concerns the mainland's criminal justice system lacked procedural fairness and
was "steadily marching in the wrong direction".

Addressing the parliament's Joint Standing Committee on Treaties in Canberra on
Monday, the Law Council of Australia said there was no way to guarantee those
extradited would be granted a fair trial, nor were there any effective measures
to prevent torture or China going against diplomatic assurances and
administering the death penalty.

"There's no consequence, what's Australia going to do?" David Grace, QC, of the
Victorian Bar told the committee.

"What's the reality? Is Australia going to haul China before the international
court of justice? I mean, it's a joke, that's a reality of it."

Australia has an extradition treaty with China that was signed in 2007 but
never ratified. The agreement, however, was tabled in March for the committee's
consideration, a month before Malcolm Turnbull's first visit to China as prime
minister.

China has recently stepped up international efforts to repatriate economic
fugitives and corrupt officials who have fled overseas.

Australia, meanwhile, is hoping to secure greater assistance from China to stem
the trade of illicit drugs, particularly crystal methamphetamine - also known
as "ice" - flowing from southern China.

The council also expressed concern over the omission of a "common safeguard in
Australia's extradition treaties to ensure protection of an extradited person's
right to a fair trial, namely the ability to refuse a request where extradition
would be 'unjust or oppressive'".

"Unless these concerns are addressed the Law Council opposes the ratification
of this treaty," council president Stuart Clark said.

The agreement with China, like other bilateral extradition treaties, has a "no
evidence" threshold which essentially takes information presented by Chinese
police seeking extradition at face value, without necessarily needing evidence
to substantiate the claim.

Legal experts and human rights groups share concerns that any extradition
agreement in force must inherently place faith in the integrity of China's
party-controlled law enforcement and judicial systems ??? frequently criticised
for pursuing the Communist Party's political agendas.

China last month relaunched its Fox Hunt and Skynet operations targeting
suspected economic criminals and corrupt officials hiding overseas. Chinese
authorities routinely cite Australia, along with the US and Canada, as the most
popular havens for the fugitives.

Leanne Close, deputy secretary of the criminal justice group in the
Attorney-General's Department, told the committee the treaty was "not an
automatic process for extradition, rather a framework for decision-making".

The unratified treaty provides grounds for refusal for political offences and
if there are fears of torture or inhumane punishment. In cases where the person
sought may be sentenced to death, Australia can "undertake" that the death
penalty not be imposed - or if imposed, that it not be carried out.

"Australia's longstanding experience with death penalty undertakings with
extradition cases is that such undertakings have been honoured," Ms Close said.

Asked by the committee whether China could execute those extradited without
Australia's knowledge, officials from the Attorney-General's Department said
the government "would know about it".

"In the arena of international crime co-operation that would be an extremely
serious event if it happened - and it would have consequences," said Catherine
Hawkins of the department's International Crime Co-operation Division.

Mr Grace cited a pervasive crackdown on hundreds of mainland lawyers who have
been detained, harassed or threatened for representing the interests of their
clients as further evidence that China's legal environment was deteriorating.

He also pointed out that other countries like the US and Canada were not moving
towards an extradition treaty despite China also pushing for the return of its
wanted fugitives.

Australia can already consider extradition requests from China under the United
Nations Convention against Corruption and the United Nations Convention against
Transnational Organised Crime.

"Risks of torture, lack of due process and politicisation of the judiciary
should make the Australian government think long and hard before embarking on
an agreement which may serve to legitimise China's justice system," said Elaine
Pearson, Australia director of Human Rights Watch.

(source: Sydney Morning Herald)

SINGAPORE:

Family of convicted murderer pleads for his life

Anguished family members of convicted murderer Jabing Kho, 32, are pleading
with Sarawak leaders to try and save him from the gallows by imploring
Singapore President Tony Tan to grant him clemency.

Jabing's mother Lenduk Baling, 55, said the family had exhausted every legal
avenue to save her only son after the Singapore Court of Appeal upheld Kho's
death sentence on April 5, 2016.

"We know that the odds are not in our favour. But we (family) will try any
means possible to overturn the death sentence against my son to life
imprisonment. I have lost my husband, I cannot bear to lose my only son," said
Lenduk who fought back tears when speaking at a press conference yesterday.

She also admitted to have spoken to the Singaporean authorities by offering
herself to undergo the death sentence in place of her son.

Also speaking was Jabing's sister Jumai Kho, 28 who said the unfolding saga has
become a mentally and physically challenging ordeal for the family ever since
her brother was arrested in the republic.

"We are mentally and physically tired. Despite that fact, we will never give up
on our desire for Jabing not be imposed the death penalty but granted clemency
for life imprisonment," said Jumai who together with her mother arrived in
Sarawak on April 13 after attending the sentencing by the Singapore Court of
Appeal on April 5.

She also said with the backing from Sarawakian state assemblyman or members of
parliament, at least their voices in the republic would be louder.

"I am just a sister and housewife. No one in Singapore is willing to hear the
pleading voices of mine or my mother's," she added.

Also present at the press conference were representatives of the Advocates'
Association of Sarawak who called on the Malaysian government to support any
further application for clemency.

"We are not condoning the actions by him (Jabing) but we are urging the
government to do its utmost to intercede with the Singaporean authorities to
commute Jabing's death sentence to one of life imprisonment," said association
president Leonard Sim explaining that their views were purely based on
humanitarian ground.

He said Minister in the Prime Minister's Department, Nancy Shukri and Chief
Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Adenan Satem had given their assurance that the
State and Federal Governments were doing all they could to save Jabing from the
gallows.

Also present were representatives from the Singapore Anti-Death Penalty
Campaign (SADPC) and We Believe in Second Chances who will be submitting a
petition within this next few days to the Singapore president to grant clemency
to Jabing.

Kirsten Han, a member of We Believe in Second Chances during the press
conference revealed that the last clemency granted by the president was in
1998.

Both organisations, she said would also be urging the Cabinet of the Republic
of Singapore to advise their president in granting the clemency as they
strongly believed that every human being deserved a second chance in life.

Jabing was convicted of murder under Section 300 (c) of the Penal Code on May
24, 2011 which carried the mandatory death sentence at the time of conviction.

In 2012, the Singapore parliament amended the Penal Code to give judges the
discretion to sentence offenders convicted under Section 300 (c) to life
imprisonment with caning.

On Nov 18, 2013, Justice Tay Yong Kwang resentenced Jabing to life imprisonment
and 24 strokes of the cane.

However on Jan 14, 2015 the Court of Appeal by a majority decision (with 2 out
of the 5 judges dissenting) overturned Justice Tay's decision and sentenced
Jabing to death.

Jabing was scheduled to be executed on Nov 6, 2015 after his petition to
president of Singapore for clemency failed. However, the execution was
temporarily stayed pending the hearing on Nov 23, 2015 of his application to
review and set aside the sentence.

On April 5, 2016, the Court of Appeal upheld Jabing???s death sentence, lifting
the stay of execution that they had issued in Nov 2015 after Jabing's lawyer
filed a criminal motion at the 11th hour.

(source: theborneopost.com)

JAMAICA:

Hanging? No, minister!---Golding warns of backlash from int'l development
partners

The Opposition yesterday poured cold water on National Security Minister Robert
Montague's announcement that he is contemplating the resumption of hanging in
Jamaica, arguing that the death penalty does not act as a deterrent to murder
and is not the solution the country's nagging problem of violent crime.

According to Opposition spokesman on justice and governance, Senator Mark
Golding, countries in the world that have abolished the death penalty generally
remain the safest, with the least number of murders.

"Those states in the United States which retain and apply the death penalty
(for example Texas) are not the states which enjoy the lowest murder rates in
the US. The active use of the death penalty in Jamaica did not prevent the
carnage of murders in 1980," Golding said.

Noting that it is not necessary for the resumption of hanging at this time, he
said that murders have declined by 40 % since the extradition of Christopher
'Dudus' Coke in 2010, during an era where the death penalty was not a factor.

He said that the Opposition is of the view that the death penalty cannot be the
solution to Jamaica's problem of violent crime.

"Violent crime in Jamaica has several root causes, and curbing it requires
solutions that address those causes," he said.

Golding suggested that Jamaica needs, among other things, growth with equity
that creates good-quality employment opportunities for our people, so that they
aren't drawn towards criminal organisations and violent crime.

He added that the modernisation and strengthening of the justice system need to
be continued, and the implementation of the Justice Reform Programme should not
be allowed to lose momentum.

"I do not regard minister Montague's announcement, that the Government is
seeking "to determine if there are any legal impediments for the resumption of
hanging in Jamaica", as a serious policy initiative that will be implemented.
The Government can't hang more people; nor, as a practical matter, can
Parliament. Only the courts can make that happen, and the courts are governed
by the rule of law and, in particular, the human rights guarantees in our
Constitution," Golding said.

In addition, he said that the reactivation of the death penalty after 28 years
would bring condemnation and adverse criticism on Jamaica from international
development partners that are not in support of capital punishment.

Last week, Montague said Government remains committed to mobilising all the
resources at its disposal to wage a "relentless war" against criminal elements
"intent on destroying our nation". To this end, he said the Administration is
currently exploring the possible resumption of hanging.

Noting that it forms part of the crime-prevention strategies aimed at creating
safer communities by tackling "lawless elements", Montague said his state
minister, Pearnel Charles Jr, has been asked to consult with several
stakeholders, including the Ministry of Justice and Attorney General's Office,
to determine if there are any "legal impediments" to be addressed.

He said the ministry's overall approach to creating safer communities is based
on 5 key pillars of crime prevention: social development, situational
prevention, effective policing, swift and sure justice processes, and reducing
re-offending.

(source: Jamaica Observer)

************************

PNP warns of death penalty backlash

The Opposition Peoples' National Party (PNP) says Jamaica may face
international backlash if it carries out the death penalty.

National Security Minister Robert Montague has indicated that his ministry is
looking at how the barriers preventing the use of the death penalty can be
removed to allow the execution of criminals in a bid to tackle the country's
high crime rate.

However, the Opposition spokesperson on Justice & Governance, Senator Mark
Golding, argues that any legislation which seeks to broaden the circumstances
in which the death penalty may be imposed would be ruled by the Courts to be
unconstitutional.

Golding further argues that the reactivation of the death penalty will bring
condemnation on Jamaica, and even possibly adverse action by the country's
international development partners that are strongly against the death penalty.

(source: Jamaica Gleaner)