[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, PENN., N.C., S.C., FLA., ALA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sat Mar 19 10:05:59 CDT 2016

March 19

TEXAS:

Freed from death row, Anthony Graves uses compensation to help other inmates -
including his best friend

Nanon Williams expected to walk out of prison in 2010, just about the same time
as his close friend and former death row mentor Anthony Graves.

For the 3rd time, a court had reversed Williams' murder conviction, and he was
just waiting for the final nod of approval before leaving behind the cell for
the 1st time in his adult life.

A half-decade later, he still waits - wearing the same prison whites that have
been his uniform since age 17, still overwhelmed by the pain of the appeals
court decision that denied his pleas of innocence.

"I got sent back to prison, and he walked out the door,' said Williams, now 41.

>From his cell at the Ramsey Unit, where he is serving a life sentence for the
fatal 1992 shooting of 19-year-old Adonius Collier in Houston, Williams has
watched with awe and pride as his friend blossomed in freedom.

>From the moment Graves was exonerated in 2010, he set out to reform the
criminal justice system that stole 18 years of his life. He was determined to
help others who have suffered under a regime he believes is fundamentally
flawed.

In the last 2 years, Graves has invested more than $150,000 - part of the money
the state paid him to compensate for the years he spent wrongly imprisoned - to
launch the Anthony Graves Foundation. The still budding nonprofit is dedicated
to freeing other innocent inmates and providing health care to recently
released prisoners with medical problems and no means to pay for treatment.

But seeing Williams, the wild, angry young man who arrived on death row the
same day he did, walk free is near the top of the 50-year-old's long to-do
list.

"I was on death row with a lot of men that I believe are guilty," Graves said.
"I learned that this young man was innocent."

Graves was convicted in 1994 of one of the most heinous crimes the small
community of Somerville had ever seen. Bobbie Davis, her daughter and her 4
grandchildren were stabbed and the house they were in was set aflame. Just days
before Robert Carter was executed in 2000 for his role in the crime, Carter
admitted he had been the lone killer. Graves, he said during a deposition, was
innocent. Nearly a decade later, Graves was exonerated and released from
prison.

In 2011, Texas wrote Graves a check for $1.45 million for the years he spent
wrongfully imprisoned. He will receive the same amount in an annuity that is
paid out monthly for the rest of his life.

People often ask Graves why he didn't head for the beach after so many years of
undeserved punishment. He said he didn't lose nearly 2 decades to spend the
rest of his free years lounging.

"No, I wanted to make a difference," he said.

Long before he was released, Graves began making plans to help from the other
side. The 1st job he got after leaving prison was helping investigate cases for
the Texas Defender Service, a nonprofit organization that represents death row
inmates.

The case of Alfred Brown, a death row inmate who was exonerated last year, was
among the 1st in which he played a pivotal role, persuading a crucial witness
who had lied at trial to recant her testimony.

2 years ago, Graves decided to started his own innocence project.

In many ways, Brown's case was similar to Graves'. Unlike hundreds of
exoneration cases that make headlines, there was no DNA evidence to prove them
innocent. Clearing their names required relentlessly chasing leads until the
truth was revealed.

Most innocence projects won't take on such a labor-intensive proposition. Those
organizations use strict criteria, often accepting only cases in which forensic
testing could lead to new evidence of innocence.

Graves started the Humane Investigation Project within his foundation to clear
away that red tape.

"I'd be dead today, because I had no DNA in my case," he said. "A lot of guys
fall through the cracks because of the criteria of these projects."

Hundreds of requests for help flood into his office each week. Graves said he's
homed in on 10 that he believes have legitimate innocence claims.

"We go talk to the witnesses, we go and really investigate the case, as opposed
to sitting behind a computer," he said.

C.J. Connelly is the director of Graves' project. For now, he's a volunteer.
Graves can't afford to pay him a full-time salary. That will come later, he
hopes, with grant money and more fundraising efforts.

By day, Connelly is an educator, but he spends dozens of hours each week
investigating innocence claims. Connelly has pored over documents and
interviewed scores of witnesses in the case of Pablo Velez, a Houston man
serving 30 years for the fatal 2004 shooting of Emerson Bojorquez outside a
Houston pool hall.

Police targeted Velez because the killers' getaway car, a gold Cadillac, was
registered under his name. Velez contends he was at his girlfriend's place at
the time of the murder. He said he sold the Cadillac days before but hadn't yet
changed the title.

Connelly said he might have enough evidence to prove Velez is innocent and the
man who bought the Cadillac was the actual killer. The Houston Police
Department has agreed to reopen its investigation of the crime. Graves and
Connelly also secured a new lawyer for Velez: Patrick McCann, a lawyer who
helped in Graves' exoneration and now serves on the foundation board.

"Anthony has credibility and reach that I would never have had," Connelly said.

For years before he met Connelly, Velez said, he wrote to dozens of innocence
organizations asking for help.

"If my case didn't have nothing to do with DNA, they didn't want to bother with
it," he said.

After a decade in prison, he said, he is allowing himself to hope that he'll be
reunited with his 10-year-old daughter, Iris. She was 27 days old when he was
convicted. Her name and birthday are tattooed under his left eye.

"I just want to get home to her," he said.

The case that is perhaps dearest to Graves, though, is Williams'. The 2 men
spent about a decade together on death row. For 3 years, they were side-by-side
in solitary confinement where the only means of communication was the air vent
between their cells. They exercised together, doing push-ups and running in
place for an hour inside their cells at 5 a.m.

They edited each other's letters and poems, planned for their futures and
consoled one another when friends left for the death house.

Williams called Graves "Milk Dud" because of his shiny bald head. Graves called
him "Meathead," a nickname the beefy former football player's grandpa had given
him.

Williams came to death row filled with spit and vinegar, spoiling for a fight,
Graves said, and has transformed into an educated writer whose works inspire
others.

"I watched him grow up into a man," Graves said.

After the U.S. Supreme Court in 2005 declared it unconstitutional to execute
people who were minors at the time of their crimes, Williams' sentence was
commuted to life in prison. 3 courts have overturned his conviction and ruled
that he deserves a new trial. Each time, a higher court has reversed that
decision.

Graves and Williams contend that faulty ballistics evidence led to the
conviction and that a new look at the evidence will show that the fatal bullet
did not come from Williams' gun.

After 24 years in prison - his entire adult life - and 3 heart-wrenching
brushes with freedom, Williams is hesitant to reignite his legal battle. In
recent years, he has focused his efforts on pursuing his education - he's
getting a master's degree - and helping other young men avoid the pitfalls of
drugs and violence that put him at the scene of a crime that ruined his life.

Mostly, though, Williams doesn't want to see his family crushed again. His
mother is 65 and lives in California, where he grew up. He last saw her 2 years
ago.

"It makes me feel like a used car salesman selling them false hope," Williams
said, his eyes welling. "It's tiresome."

Graves, though, never seems to tire. After years of waking to prison guards' 3
a.m. breakfast calls, he said he rarely sleeps more than a few hours each
night. He's too busy sending emails and text messages, preparing speeches and
working to build his foundation and a community willing to help inmates that he
says society has discarded.

This month, Graves opened a small health clinic to provide low-cost and free
care to those leaving prison and their families. On one side of the
foundation's rented office space across the street from a church in a rough
Houston neighborhood are antiseptic-smelling exam rooms with equipment that
still has the manufacturers' stickers. On the other side, Graves and his small
cadre of interns and volunteers take calls and read piles of letters from
aggrieved inmates. When he left prison, Graves said, doctors told him his
arteries were clogged, the result of poor diet and health care. But he had
money to see a doctor. Most recently released inmates don't. They're too busy
finding a job and housing and reuniting with family to think about their
health.

"He needs a fresh start, and that includes his body," Graves said. Eventually,
he also plans to hire caseworkers to help connect former convicts with
resources like housing, drug treatment and mental health services to reduce the
likelihood they'll return to prison.

The clinic is just getting off the ground, but Graves has already hired a
doctor. Dr. Lester Minto, who lives in Austin, learned about the foundation
through a friend and agreed to help out for a minimal fee.

"I've always liked the thought of helping people who are less privileged," he
said, "people who don't fit in the system."

Paul Cates, spokesman for the New York-based Innocence Project, said many
exonerees feel like Graves, compelled to fight for change in a criminal justice
system that wrecked their lives. Dallas exoneree Christopher Scott, who was
freed in 1999, created the House of Renewed Hope to help other wrongly
convicted inmates.

"It doesn't destroy their souls, and almost all of them somehow find a way to
get beyond what happened," Cates said.

Graves is not oblivious, though, to the steep road ahead for both his
foundation and the inmates he wants to help.

He knows he'll need much more funding to keep his clinic and the innocence
project up and running.

He knows that in Texas' conservative court system, his friend Nanon Williams'
chances for success are slim.

But he's never been one to let long odds get him down.

"I always stay positive," he said. "That's how I came home."

(source: Dallas Morning News)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Caretaker charged with beating 17-month-old girl to death

A Bangor man was charged Thursday with beating a 17-month-old girl to death
after she was left in his care.

Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli said the child died Feb.
24, 2015, after being left in the care of 32-year-old Gary A. Foley at a home
in the 100 block of Duke Street in Lehigh Township.

Foley said she was choking after he fed her cut-up hot dogs, but an autopsy by
the Carbon County coroner found she died from multiple blunt force injuries to
her head and neck.

The injuries were acute, meaning they were recently delivered, the coroner
found.

"This is a tragic case, a very upsetting case," Morganelli said.

The girl's mother, 28-year-old Heather Marie Surget of Great Meadows, New
Jersey, is charged with endangering the welfare of the 17-month-old as well as
other children in the home.

Lehigh Township Police Chief Scott Fogel said the conditions in the home were
beyond deplorable.

Morganelli said dirty dishes and garbage were strewn about the kitchen. Bugs
crawled on the countertop and table. The home had no running water and frozen
pipes. The occupants relied on space heaters to keep warm even though the low
temperature that day was minus 8.

"The floor had holes in it where if you weren't sure where to step you could
fall through the floor of the mobile home," Fogel said.

Living in the home with Foley and Surget were Foley's 4-year-old son and
Surget's 3-year-old, 2-month-old and the 17-month-old victim. All the children
are now in the custody of the Northampton County Office of Children, Youth and
Families.

Morganelli said Surget told police she met Foley online not long before the
incident. He moved in with them a week before the child's death, and she
trusted him to watch the children while she was at work, he said.

Morganelli said Foley was the only one home with the child when the child fell
ill. The child died in Palmerton Hospital an hour after Foley dialed 911.

The 4-year-old had brown and chipped teeth, police said. The boy had cuts and
bruises that Morganelli is investigating as possible signs of child abuse.

Foley and Surget are each in Northampton County Prison. Homicide suspects may
not post bail in Pennsylvania. Surget's bail is $1,000,000. Foley is also
charged with endangering the welfare of the children.

Morganelli said Foley could face the death penalty since the victim is under 12
years old, but he hasn't decided whether he'll pursue the death penalty in this
case.

Morganelli called the case "really, really depressing for us."

"The Commonwealth believes this to be a very serious case and another example
of individuals who have absolutely no responsibility with respect to taking
care of numerous children in their welfare," Morganelli said.

Morganelli waited a year before filing charges to obtain a toxicology report,
to try to extract witness statements and to try to find more details about
Foley's alleged attack.

Drugs don't appear to be a factor in the case. Morganelli said he has enough
evidence at this point to build a circumstantial case against Foley.

(source: lehighvalley.com)

NORTH CAROLINA:

Tragedy of Darryl Hunt: how exonerated man came to take his own life ----
Wrongly convicted man dedicated his life to reform within the justice system
and recent death leaves unanswered questions of why

On the morning of 6 February 2004, the eyes of Winston Salem fell upon Darryl
Hunt, who had calmly waited for this day, uncertain if it would ever arrive. By
noon that Friday, judge Anderson Cromer would exonerate the 38-year-old inmate
for his role in the 1984 murder of Deborah Sykes; but first, he listened to her
mother, Evelyn Jefferson, who berated him for a ruling that would "set free a
guilty man".

Before Hunt left the courthouse, he turned toward Jefferson, his voice warbling
with emotion, and told her: "I feel the pain you felt."

Starting that day, Hunt devoted his life to reforming a criminal justice system
that had stripped him of nearly 2 decades of his life, becoming a globally
known advocate for the wrongfully convicted with a similar kind of grace he
showed Jefferson.

Last weekend, the 51-year-old advocate was found dead in a friend's locked
pick-up truck with a gun in what police have deemed a suicide.

"Physical evidence found inside the vehicle, as well as other investigative
findings thus far, is indicative of Darryl Hunt having suffered a
self-inflicted gunshot wound," Winston Salem police said in a statement.

The police force that found him was the same one that arrested him 32 years ago
for the rape and murder of Sykes, a 25-year-old copy editor for the
Winston-Salem Sentinel. When attorney Mark Rabil first met Hunt, he was struck
by the teenager's peaceful demeanor and unfettered willingness to prove his
innocence no matter the costs.

"I was scared," Rabil recalls. "Everything that had been in the media, [the
police] said they had all these witnesses, and I assumed they had the guy, and
our job was to save him from the death penalty. In my 35 years practicing law,
there's never been this suddenness of me being convinced of innocence as I was
in that first hour with Darryl."

In 1985, Hunt was convicted of 1st-degree murder, but thanks to a lone juror,
was spared the death penalty. However, a higher court overturned his conviction
on a technicality, granting him his freedom in 1989. Faced with a retrial in
rural Catawba County, prosecutors offered a plea bargain to Hunt that would
have set him free. Rather that admit guilt, Hunt turned down the deal, leaving
his fate in the hands of an all-white jury, which went on to convict him in
1990.

4 years later, DNA testing found Hunt's semen didn't match the evidence
collected from the crime scene. But it wasn't until a series of appeals and
another DNA test in December 2003 linked the crime to Willard Brown, who later
confessed, that Hunt was released.

That Christmas Eve Hunt signed the papers for his release, and left the Forsyth
County Jail for good.

Hunt, who would receive more than $2m in compensation from the city and state,
immediately began to speak out about his wrongful conviction after his
exoneration. Stephen Dear, executive director of People of Faith Against the
Death Penalty, believed he had every right to retreat from the public
spotlight. Instead of leaving Winston Salem behind, Hunt stayed so that no one
would forget what had happened.

"His face was a reminder to the people who put him away," Rabil says. "Certain
district attorneys would cross the street rather than face him. Everything
would go quiet when he walked in a courtroom."

Hunt founded the Darryl Hunt Project for Freedom and Justice to help exonerate
wrongfully convicted individuals. Over the years, a documentary and 2 books
would be released about his life. Hunt received countless offers to speak about
his wrongful conviction, which turned him into a well-known criminal justice
activist around the world.

"This community, locally and statewide, had such high expectations of him,"
says Phoebe Zerwick, an investigative reporter who covered Hunt's case for the
Winston-Salem Journal. "It must have been a huge burden. At the same time, it
gave him purpose."

According to Dear, Hunt played a crucial role in turning North Carolina from a
state that once had the 5th-highest execution rate to 1 that has had a
moratorium in place for nearly a decade. Hunt also pushed for the passage of
the North Carolina Racial Justice Act of 2009 that banned race from being used
as a factor in determining whether someone should be executed. (State lawmakers
would repeal the act in 2014.)

Ultimately, Dear says, Hunt's lasting impact may very well be that his case
helped bring about the creation of the North Carolina's Innocence Inquiry
Commission, a state agency tasked solely with investigating wrongful
convictions. In nine years, the commission has exonerated 9 inmates.

Theresa Newman, co-director of Duke University Law School's Wrongful
Convictions Clinic, also watched Hunt's devotion to his cause in smaller arenas
such as talking to students at law school orientations. Zerwick, who now
teaches writing at Wake Forest University, said he was even willing to speak to
her undergraduate freshmen students. That desire to help others trickled down
to nearly every local person leaving prison who sought a smooth transition back
into society. Though admirable, Newman says, Hunt also struggled to say no to
people, even if it would be better for his health.

"He felt like he owed something and had to pay it back," Newman says. "I've
never met everyone who was more selfless. He never really took time for
himself. He wasn't a good caregiver to himself."

As the years passed, his friends watched the work take a toll on Hunt. At one
point, Zerwick recalls, Hunt stopped watching the documentary that would screen
before his panel discussions because it became "too difficult to constantly
relive that horrible experience." Nevertheless, Hunt continued to "give
injustice a face and a name," Newman said.

"He was the voice of the voiceless," Rabil said, "who was wounded by 20 years
of wrongful incarceration and taking on the burdens of so many people and
fighting systems that can't be changed in 1 lifetime."

Over the past few years, Hunt fell upon a period of increasing hard luck that
started with a divorce from his wife. In September 2014, April Hunt filed a
domestic violence complaint in which he allegedly "talked about how worthless
he is and [that he] should die". (Hunt's lawyer, David Hough, denied those
claims at the time.) Soon after, Hunt left town for metro Atlanta in search of
his long-lost sister. After finding her, Hunt rented a house in Jonesboro,
Georgia, where he stayed with his sister and her teenage kids, all while he
underwent treatment for prostate cancer.

In early 2016, Rabil said, Hunt returned to Winston Salem because he "missed
the work". Upon moving back, he discovered his assets had been frozen, which
led to the repossession of his truck due to a missed payment. As that happened,
his cancer had advanced to a Stage IV prognosis. All the while, Hunt's
depression seemed to grow, becoming increasingly evident to his friends,
despite his private nature.

In the last month of his life, Hunt traveled to the University of Virginia for
a speaking engagement at its public policy school. Though Rabil says he seemed
"distracted", Hunt had planned to speak at a retreat for a new nonprofit called
Healing Justice, which seeks to mend the "extensive human damage" stemming from
wrongful convictions, and receive an award from the American Civil Liberties
Union's North Carolina Chapter.

"He's always struggled," Rabil said. "But future things were being planned."

(source: The Guardian)

SOUTH CAROLINA:

Dylann Roof waives right to appear in April 5 federal court meeting

The man accused of killing nine parishioners during a bible study at Emanuel
AME Church last June has asked to waive his right to appear at a federal court
meeting next month.

Dylann Roof filed the waiver of appearance Thursday. He has not appeared in a
courtroom in months, instead letting his attorneys handle the case and relaying
to him the specifics afterwards.

Joey Meek, Roof's friend and the man federal investigators say knew of the
planned attack on Emanuel AME, has not yet filed paperwork to stay out of court
on April 5.

District Judge Richard M. Gergel scheduled a bar meeting for 10 a.m. on April 5
at the courthouse in downtown Charleston.

While state prosecutors have said they are seeking the death penalty for Roof,
federal prosecutors are still waiting on a Department of Justice panel to
decide if the federal government will also seek the death penalty for nearly
three dozen hate crime charges in connection to the shooting.

Currently, Roof's state trial is set to begin on July 11.

The scheduled bar meeting comes roughly 9 months after the June 17 shooting.
Federal prosecutors said in previous hearings they thought the justice
department would render a decision on the death penalty in that time.

It's not clear from the filing what attorneys and Gergel will discuss on April
5, or if the hearing was requested by federal prosecutors.

(source: WCIV news)

FLORIDA:

Lawyers argue competency of murder defendant accused of stabbing wife

For the 2nd time in 5 months, a circuit judge is considering whether a Lakeland
man who prosecutors said has admitted killing his wife is competent to stand
trial.

In a hearing Wednesday, two psychologists testified that Michael Finn, who was
declared incompetent in October, is legally eligible to proceed with his
criminal case. A 3rd psychologist said Finn meets the state's criteria for
competency on 4 levels, but questions remain concerning his ability to assist
his lawyers.

Circuit Judge Jalal Harb has taken the motion under advisement.

Finn, 46, was arrested May 9, 2015, after his wife, Kristen, called 911 when he
threw a baseball at her and hit her in the face during an argument on their
patio at 1263 Scottsland Drive in Lakeland.

She told emergency operators her husband had attacked her before and was on
probation, according to Polk County Sheriff's Office reports. During the
conversation, operators heard her telling her husband to stay away, then she
began screaming.

When deputies arrived at the house, Kristen Finn, 34, was running from her
husband, who was wielding a knife. Deputy Dennis Jones reported she looked as
if she'd been stabbed several times.

Jones ordered Michael Finn to drop the knife, and took him into custody.

As he was being arrested, Finn told his 15-year-old daughter from a previous
marriage "I should have killed her," according to Sheriff's reports.

Kristen Finn died at Lakeland Regional Health Medical Center that afternoon, an
hour after she called 911.

After Finn was found incompetent to stand trial in October, he underwent
treatment at Treasure Coast Forensic Treatment Center in Indiantown until late
December, when staff psychologist John P. Mihalovich, who testified Wednesday,
determined he was competent to stand trial.

Finn was brought back to the Polk County Jail for further evaluation.

Defense lawyers representing Finn said Wednesday his condition has deteriorated
since his return to Polk County because of stresses at the Polk County Jail,
and asked Harb to return him to Treasure Coast.

Harb is expected to issue a written ruling.

Prosecutors said they are seeking the death penalty against Finn, but have
offered life imprisonment if he would plead to the murder charge.

Assistant Public Defender Tonmiel Rodriguez declined to comment on the plea
deal.

(source: The Ledger)

******************

Court: New death-penalty sentencing process should apply to ongoing cases

Florida's new death-penalty sentencing process should apply to prosecutions
that were already underway when the new law went into effect this month, a
state appeals court ruled Friday.

The 5th District Court of Appeal also decided that a U.S. Supreme Court
decision, in a case known as Hurst v. Florida, did not strike down the state's
entire death penalty as unconstitutional, but instead overturned the procedure
for imposing death sentences.

But because the issues "involve questions of great public importance," a
3-judge panel asked the Florida Supreme Court to decide whether the Hurst
decision declared that the state's death penalty is unconstitutional and if the
new law applies to cases already in the pipeline before the new sentencing
process went into effect March 7.

In a Jan. 12 ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court found that Florida's system of
giving judges, and not juries, the power to impose death sentences was an
unconstitutional violation of defendants' Sixth Amendment right to trial by
jury.

The 8-1 U.S. Supreme Court decision dealt with the sentencing phase of
death-penalty cases after defendants are found guilty, and it focused on what
are known as aggravating circumstances that must be determined before
defendants can be sentenced to death. A 2002 U.S. Supreme Court ruling, in a
case known as Ring v. Arizona, requires that determinations of such aggravating
circumstances must be made by juries, not judges.

The ruling left Florida temporarily without a death-penalty sentencing
structure, prompting the Legislature to hurriedly pass a bill intended to fix
the process. Gov. Rick Scott signed the bill March 7, and it went into effect
immediately.

Under Florida's new law, juries will have to unanimously determine "the
existence of at least 1 aggravating factor" before defendants can be eligible
for death sentences. The law also requires at least 10 jurors to recommend the
death penalty in order for the sentence to be imposed, and it did away with a
feature of the old law that had allowed judges to override juries'
recommendations of life in prison instead of death.

The Florida Supreme Court, which indefinitely put on hold two executions after
the Hurst ruling, has been grappling with how --- or whether --- to apply the
ruling to inmates already on death row. The questions posed Friday by the
appellate judges are part of a process known as "certifying" questions to the
Florida Supreme Court.

Friday's ruling came in the consolidated cases of Larry Darnell Perry, accused
of killing his 3-month-old son in 2013, and William Theodore Woodward, charged
with murdering 2 of his neighbors in 2012.

After the Hurst decision, Perry and Woodward asked judges in their cases to bar
prosecutors from seeking the death penalty. The judges agreed with the
defendants' lawyers, who argued that, because there was no constitutionally
permitted death penalty process in Florida at the time, the state could not
pursue death sentences in the cases.

But the appellate court on Friday sided with the state, saying that blocking
the death penalty "impermissibly invades" the discretion of the state to seek
the sentence.

The appeals court also rejected arguments that the new sentencing law should
not apply in the cases of Perry and Woodward because of a 1972 law that
provides alternative sentences if the death penalty is deemed unconstitutional.
The 1972 law, which required that all death sentences be converted into life
imprisonment, came in response to a ruling in a case known as Furman v. Georgia
that resulted in a nationwide moratorium on the death penalty.

In the 10-page decision issued Friday, appeals-court Judge Richard B. Orfinger
wrote that the Hurst ruling "struck the process of imposing a sentence of
death, not the penalty itself."

Orfinger, joined by judges Kerry I. Evander and F. Rand Wallis, also disagreed
with the defendants' contention that the application of the new law to pending
cases would amount to an "ex post facto" violation of both the Florida and U.S.
Constitutions.

That constitutional problem would only arise if the new law retroactively
altered the definition of crimes or increased the punishment for the crimes,
Orfinger noted.

While Florida's new law changes the process used to determine whether the death
penalty will be imposed, it does not modify the punishment attached to
1st-degree murder, Orfinger wrote.

"The new sentencing statute added no new element, or functional equivalent of
an element, to 1st-degree murder. Hence, the changes to our capital sentencing
procedures do not resemble the type of after-the-fact legislative evil
contemplated by the ex post facto doctrine," he wrote.

(source: The Gainesville Sun)

**************

Court Backs New Death Penalty Law But Asks Florida Supremes to Rule on
Constitutionality

[...]

existence of at least one aggravating factor" before defendants can be eligible
for death sentences. The law also requires at least 10 jurors to recommend the
death penalty in order for the sentence to be imposed, and it did away with a
feature of the old law that had allowed judges to override juries'
recommendations of life in prison instead of death.

The Florida Supreme Court, which indefinitely put on hold 2 executions after
the Hurst ruling, has been grappling with how - or whether - to apply the
ruling to inmates already on death row. The questions posed Friday by the
appellate judges are part of a process known as "certifying" questions to the
Florida Supreme Court.

Friday's ruling came in the consolidated cases of Larry Darnell Perry, accused
of killing his 3-month-old son in 2013, and William Theodore Woodward, charged
with murdering two of his neighbors in 2012.

[...]

death, not the penalty itself." (Orfinger is the brother of Flagler County
Circuit Judge Michael Orfinger.)

[...]

(source: flaglerlive.com)

**************

Court backs use of new law in death penalty cases

Florida's new death-penalty sentencing process should apply to prosecutions
that were already underway when the new law went into effect this month, a
state appeals court ruled Friday.

The 5th District Court of Appeal also decided that a U.S. Supreme Court
decision, in a case known as Hurst v. Florida, did not strike down the state's
entire death penalty as unconstitutional, but instead overturned the procedure
for imposing death sentences.

But because the issues "involve questions of great public importance," a
three-judge panel asked the Florida Supreme Court to decide whether the Hurst
[...]

an element, to first-degree murder. Hence, the changes to our capital
sentencing procedures do not resemble the type of after-the-fact legislative
evil contemplated by the ex post facto doctrine," he wrote.

(source: The News Service of Florida)

****************

THE GHOST OF HENRY MORGAN COOPER JR.

You probably haven't heard of Henry Morgan Cooper Jr., but who he is may matter
deeply to people facing sentences on Florida's death row - one of the busiest
in the nation, according to the Washington Post.

Last week Florida reinstated its death penalty - less than 2 months after the
U.S. Supreme Court struck down its previous death penalty regime, in Hurst v.
Florida, 84 U.S.L.W. 4032, 2016 BL 7258 (U.S. Jan. 12, 2016).

Under Florida's old system, after the adjudication of guilt, a judge would hold
a post-conviction evidentiary hearing. Based on that evidence, a jury weighed
aggravating and mitigating factors and made a sentence recommendation by
majority vote. But the judge alone, based on an independent weighing of the
same factors, determined whether a convicted person would be executed.

The Supreme Court decided this "hybrid" system was unconstitutional. "The Sixth
Amendment requires a jury, not a judge, to find each fact necessary to impose a
sentence of death. A jury's recommendation is not enough," Justice Sonia
Sotomayor wrote on behalf of 7 justices.

In Florida's new system, there is still a separate hearing after the
determination of guilt. Now, however, the jury must unanimously decide that
there is at least 1 aggravating factor - such as prior record or premeditation
- that justifies the imposition of the death penalty.

That done, after weighing all the aggravating and mitigating circumstances, the
jury recommends a sentence. If the jury recommends life without parole, that
will be the sentence; if it recommends death, the judge may nevertheless impose
LWOP.

But the jury needs only 10 votes out of 12 to recommend the death sentence.

Wait, 10-2? This is where Cooper comes in.

Cooper was convicted in Oregon of burglary in a dwelling. The jury convicted by
a vote of 10-2, which was the minimum necessary in Oregon at the time.

The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the conviction in Apodaca v. Oregon, 406 U.S. 404
(1972) (Robert Apodaca had been convicted of assault with a deadly weapon by an
11-1 vote).

The Apodaca plurality determined that the history of the Sixth Amendment didn't
require jury unanimity.

The justices therefore took a functional approach, and determined that "the
purpose of trial by jury is to prevent oppression by the Government by
providing a 'safeguard against the corrupt or overzealous prosecutor and
against the compliant, biased, or eccentric judge.'"

The interests of the defendant "in having the judgment of his peers interposed
between himself and the officers of the State who prosecute and judge him is
equally well served" by a 10-2 result, they decided.

(The 4 judges in the plurality were joined in this holding by Justice Lewis F.
Powell Jr., who disagreed with the plurality only to the extent that he
believed the Sixth Amendment was incorporated to the states by the 14th
Amendment.)

Research conducted by Bloomberg BNA indicates that 10 is the lowest number of
votes approved by a majority of the Supreme Court.

(Interestingly, the Supreme Court upheld a 9-3 conviction in Johnson v.
Louisiana, 406 U.S. 356 (1972), decided the same day as Apodaca. In that case,
however, Powell believed the challenge to the verdict was foreclosed by
retroactivity, so there were only 4 votes to uphold that jury result.)

It seems likely that the Florida legislature, in implementing the 10-2
requirement, knew of this holding. But its reliance on Apodaca may be on shaky
ground.

Apodaca came up twice during oral argument in Hurst. Once was as Florida
Solicitor General Allen Winsor attempted to justify Florida's requirement that
only a majority of the jury find an aggravated circumstance justifying the
death penalty. Ruling as it did on the judge/jury issue, the Supreme Court
didn't reach the question of the jury vote required to recommend a sentence of
death.

The other time Apodaca came up suggested that Justice Sonia Sotomayor would be
willing to overrule it.

"Is it still good law?" she asked Seth Waxman of Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale &
Dorr LLP, Washington, arguing for Hurst. "Shouldn't we overrule it?"

Waxman agreed the court should, especially in the context of the death penalty.
He noted that no other state "permits anyone to be sentenced to death other
than [by] a unanimous determination by the jury.

"The State of Florida requires unanimity for shoplifting, just not for death,"
he said.

Justices Stephen G. Breyer and Ruth Bader Ginsburg have already documented
their antipathy to the death penalty in any form (see their dissent in Glossip
v. Gross, 83 U.S.L.W. 4656, 2015 BL 206563 (U.S. June 29, 2015). With the
addition of Sotomayor, there may already be 3 votes on the court to overturn
Florida's new death sentencing scheme.

(source: US Law Week)

ALABAMA:

Girlfriend tipped off police about boyfriend, who now faces possible death
penalty

A Birmingham man faces the possibility of the death penalty after his
girlfriend told police she had heard him talking on the phone about killing a
security guard, a detective testified Friday.

A preliminary hearing was held Friday for Michael Bragg, 20, who is charged
with capital murder in the Oct. 20 shooting death of 28-year-old Maurice Dukes.

Jefferson County Circuit Judge Teresa Pulliam ruled at the end of the hearing
that she found probable cause for the charge against Bragg and she forwarded
the case to a grand jury for possible indictment.

Pulliam also denied a request by Bragg's attorney, Erskine Mathis, for a bond
to be set for Bragg, who is being held without bond in the Jefferson County
Jail pending the outcome of the case.

Deputy Jefferson County District Attorney Carl Randall opposed a bond being
set. "We're seeking the death penalty," he said.

With prosecutors seeking the death penalty, Pulliam said she couldn't set a
bond and denied the request.

Birmingham homicide detective Kyle Johnson testified at the hearing that Dukes
was a night security guard at the construction site of an apartment complex at
6051 First Avenue South.

Dukes' body was found the morning of Oct. 20 inside his vehicle, Johnson said.
He had been shot 3 times in his left shoulder by someone standing outside the
car, he said.

Dukes' iPad, handgun, and white iPhone 6 with gold backing, were missing,
Johnson said. None of the 3 items were ever recovered, he said.

A person, who Johnson did not name, stepped forward and gave Bragg's name as a
possible suspect. As a result of that, Johnson said he talked to 4 people who
knew Bragg.

2 males said that Bragg had asked them both to break the code to get into a
white iPhone with gold backing.

Johnson said he also spoke to Bragg's girlfriend on Nov. 6. At that time she
had no knowledge of the shooting, he said.

But on Feb. 23 the girlfriend called him back and told him she had later
learned about Bragg's involvement in the shooting around Christmastime, Johnson
said. The girlfriend said she and Bragg were at an apartment where they were
living when Bragg went into a bathroom and got on a cellphone.

Bragg told the person on the other end of the phone conversation "I haven't
been sleeping and I need to get this off my chest," Johnson said the girlfriend
reported.

The girlfriend reported she then overheard Bragg talk about killing of the
security guard for the purpose of getting his iPhone, Johnson testified. When
Bragg came out of the bathroom, the girlfriend reported she confronted Bragg
and told him "you killed a man over and iPhone 6? I would have bought you an
iPhone 6."

Later, the girlfriend reported, Bragg gave more details on the killing when
they met with another man, Johnson testified. The detective said he also
interviewed that other man.

One of the things that the other man reported Bragg told them during the
meeting was the caliber of the handgun - a .380 - he shot Dukes with after
telling Dukes "MF give it up," Johnson said. The other man also reported Bragg
that he had picked up shell casings after the shooting, he said.

Johnson testified that police had not released the caliber of the handgun and
that 3 of the 4 shells - there were 4 shots fired - had been picked up.

Bragg told police that he had run into Dukes at a gas/convenience store in the
area, Johnson testified. Bragg reported that Dukes was walking too slow and
that he cut in front of Dukes in line, he said.

Once outside, Bragg stated that Dukes met and talked with a "weedman," Johnson
said. Bragg said he then walked over to Dukes and borrowed his phone.

Phone records show multiple calls to a cellphone registered to Bragg's
girlfriend just after 8 p.m. on Oct. 19 and then multiple phone calls between
the 2 phones after 11 p.m. that night, Johnson said. The girlfriend confirmed
that Bragg had called her earlier in the evening from Dukes' phone. The last
phone call that night between Dukes' phone was with an undetermined number, he
said.

Dukes' body was discovered at 7:10 a.m. the following morning, Johnson said.

Police announced Bragg's arrest Feb. 25 - 2 days after Bragg's girlfriend
stepped forward.

Johnson, under questioning from Bragg's attorney, Erskine Mathis, said no
fingerprints matching Bragg were found at the scene. But police are testing a
cigarette butt for DNA, he said. Pulliam had ordered swabs taken from Bragg on
March 1.

Mathis pressed Johnson to say what time he believes Dukes was killed. Johnson,
who said he would not give his opinion, kept repeating the time of death from
the coroner's office as 7:31 a.m. Oct. 20, which is 20 minutes after his body
was discovered.

Johnson also said the last person to report seeing Dukes alive is the security
guard he had relieved that night. But he couldn't tell Mathis that time that
was.

(source: al.com)