Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Jun 22 09:01:20 CDT 2016

June 22

JAPAN:

Suspect in fatal stabbing spree hopes to get death penalty

A man stabbed 4 women, killing 1, at a shopping mall in this northern city June
21, and told police he hoped to be hanged for the crime.

The suspect, Nobuyuki Matsuhashi, 33, was overpowered by a security guard and
arrested on the scene.

"There is no question it was me," Matsuhashi was quoted as saying by
investigators. "I stabbed them so I would get the death sentence. I wanted to
kill someone and end it all."

His victims, shoppers and a store clerk, were aged between 49 and 76. They
included a mother and her daughter. A 68-year-old woman died from stab wounds
to her chest.

Investigators will likely request that Matsuhashi undergo psychiatric testing
to evaluate his mental state and determine his criminal liability.

A neighbor of Matsuhashi said he confided in tears a few days earlier: "I'm
very unstable right now. Do you think I should go and see a doctor?"

Local police rushed to the Aeon Mall Kushiro-Showa complex, located near the
city's downtown area, after receiving an emergency call about the stabbing
rampage around 3:15 p.m.

Police said Matsuhashi entered the mall from the 1st floor entrance at the
eastern side of the building around 3:10 p.m., wielding a knife with a thin
blade 22.5 centimeters long.

He then strode purposefully down the main corridor of the mall, lined by
clothes shops and restaurants.

As he headed back the way from where he came, Matsuhashi set upon Masako
Tonuma, a local resident aged 68, police said. She died of her injuries.

He injured 2 more customers--the mother and her daughter--and a mall employee.

Matsuhashi was subdued minutes later by a security guard and arrested by
officers of the Kushiro Police Station on suspicion of attempted murder, which
allows him to be held while more serious charges are considered.

The mall was bustling with more customers than usual because many shops were
holding sales.

A shopper said she saw Matsuhashi astride a woman who had fallen facing upward
and attacking her.

Investigators called it an indiscriminate act of violence that was likely
premeditated as Matsuhashi purchased the knife at a hardware store just 2 hours
before he drove to the mall.

Matsuhashi's job was delivering The Hokkaido Shimbun Press newspaper to
households.

According to the company, he went about his morning delivery as usual, but did
not show up at his workplace at 2:30 p.m. for his regular evening paper route.

The delivery office rang his cellphone, but it went unanswered.

(source: The Asahi Shimbun)

INDONESIA:

Frenchman Serge Atlaoui, who avoided Bali 9 firing squad, has clemency bid
rejected in Indonesia

An Indonesian court has rejected an appeal by French drug convict Serge
Atlaoui, who was due to face the firing squad with Andrew Chan and Myuran
Sukumaran.

"We reject the challenge by the challenger," presiding judge Ujang Abdullah
told the State Administrative Court in Jakarta, ruling on the appeal.

A spokesperson for the Indonesian attorney-general's office said Atlaoui would
not be executed during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

"I think it's not a wise decision to carry out an execution in Ramadan,"
spokesman Tony Spontana said.

He had been due to face the firing squad in April with Chan and Sukumaran, 2
Australian members of the so-called Bali 9 drug ring.

Atlaoui won a temporary reprieve after authorities agreed to let an outstanding
legal appeal run its course.

He was challenging president Joko Widodo's decision to reject his request for
clemency, typically a death row convict's final hope of avoiding execution,
claiming the leader did not properly consider his case.

Atlaoui's lawyers said they would still seek legal avenues to appeal the death
sentence.

Involved in a secret drugs factory

Atlaoui, a welder, was arrested in 2005 in a secret drugs factory outside
Jakarta, with authorities accusing him of being a "chemist" at the site.

But the father of 4 has maintained his innocence, claiming that he was
installing machinery in what he thought was an acrylics plant.

He was initially sentenced to life in prison but the supreme court increased
the sentence to death on appeal.

France has mounted a diplomatic campaign to save him, warning Jakarta of
unspecified consequences if he is put to death and questioning Indonesia's
legal system, which has a reputation as deeply corrupt.

Following Monday's decision, France's European affairs minister, Harlem Desir,
said "the whole of the French diplomatic service" was being mobilised to save
Atlaoui.

"I want to restate our determination to fight against the death penalty
everywhere in the world and, of course, to save the life of our compatriot,"
the minister told French television.

After Mr Widodo took office last October, he rejected pleas for clemency from
Atlaoui and other foreigners, many of which had been pending for years.

Atlaoui is among several foreigners who have sought to appeal against their
death sentences since the president's move, but none has so far succeeded and
authorities have accused the convicts of trying to buy time.

The failure of the Frenchman's latest legal bid came after the supreme court in
April rejected another appeal - a request by Atlaoui's legal team for a
judicial review of his death sentence.

Indonesia pushed ahead with the April executions despite global condemnation
led by UN chief Ban Ki-moon.

The executions of Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran in particular
caused tensions, with Australia temporarily recalling its ambassador from
Jakarta.

(source: abc.net.au)

MALAYSIA:

Malaysia 1 step closer to amending death penalty

Malaysia is 1 step closer to amending the mandatory death sentence, Minister in
the Prime Minister's Department Nancy Shukri said.

Nancy told the World Congress Against The Death Penalty in Oslo, Norway,
recently that a government-backed study on the death penalty had been completed
and a paper is being readied by the Attorney General's Chambers.

"There are positive signs in Malaysia and a steady momentum towards possible
change in the death penalty legislation," Nancy said.

The study was conducted by the International Centre For Law and Legal Studies
(I-CeLLS). The consultant was then Professor Dr Roger Hood, Professor of
Criminology and Emeritus Fellow of All Souls College Oxford.

Currently, in Malaysia, the death penalty is mandatory for 12 offences while 20
other offences are punishable with discretionary death penalty.

Murder, drug trafficking, and offences related to security are instances of
offences which are punishable with death.

However, Nancy said empirical studies showed that the death penalty had not led
to "the deterring effect that such a penalty was created".

"Although Malaysia is generally in compliance with international standards in
so far as the relevant safeguards (on capital punishment) are concerned,
Malaysia???s position on death penalty has always been subjected to national
and international criticisms."

The global anti-death congress was the sixth edition. Nancy expressed her
"deepest appreciation to Norway" for inviting Malaysia to participate.

(source: The Star)

***************

Nancy Shukri: Study on death penalty completed

The Attorney-General's Chamber will prepare a paper on the amendments of the
death penalty legislation for submission to the government following the
completion of a comprehensive study on the matter.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Nancy Shukri said the study
conducted by the International Centre for Law and legal Studies (I-CeLLs) was
carried after the AG's Chamber was tasked to undertake a comprehensive study on
the issue of the death penalty in Malaysia.

The study was carried out with consultation from Professor Dr Roger Hood,
Professor of Criminology and Emeritus Fellow of All Souls College Oxford, one
of the renowned experts on the death penalty, she said.

Nancy said this in her intervention note at the 6th World Congress against the
Death Penalty held in Oslo, Norway. The 3-day congress kicked off yesterday.

Her intervention note was faxed here today.

She said: "There are positive signs in Malaysia, and a steady momentum towards
possible change in the death penalty legislation."

Currently in Malaysia, the death penalty is mandatory for 12 offences, while 20
other offences are punishable by a discretionary death penalty.

"Murder, drug trafficking, and offences relating to (national) security are
instances of offences which are punishable with a mandatory death penalty," she
said.

Nancy said Malaysia does have some safeguards in law and practise to protect
the right of the accused facing the death penalty, inter alia, the right to be
promptly informed of the nature of the charge preferred against him, right to
legal representative of his own choice and also the right to fair hearing by a
competent, independent and impartial tribunal.

"Although Malaysia is generally in compliance with international standards
insofar as the relevant safeguards are concerned, Malaysia's position on the
death penalty has always been subjected to national and international
criticisms.

"Among the criticisms are, although the death penalty has its place, it should
only be implemented in the most serious of crimes and where there is no
reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty," she said.

Nancy said there had been no empirical studies to prove that the death penalty
did not have the deterring effect that such a penalty was hoped to create.

(source: themalaymailonline.com)

PHILIPPINES:

Australian Damian John Berg arrested on drugs charges in Philippines as nation
prepares to bring in the death penalty

An Austalian arrested for selling ecstasy in the Philippines may fall afoul of
'shoot-to-kill' president-elect Rodrigo Duterte's promise to impose the death
penalty on all drug crimes.

Damian John Berg and Canadian national Jeremy Eaton were arrested yesterday
after being linked by Philippines police to a drug syndicate importing
prohibited substances from Europe.

Philippines police allege the pair were selling ecstasy at a youth concert in
Manila last month where 5 party-goers died of drug overdose.

It's a tough time to run afoul of the law in the Philippines.

President-elect Rodrigo Duterte has vowed he will put snipers in the streets,
insisting his citizens must learn to fear the law - even smoking bans.

The 71-year-old, due to be sworn-in on June 30, says his goal is to 'end crime'
within 3 to 6 months of taking office.

Capital punishment is to be applied to crimes involving murder, robbery, rape
or drugs.

Other laws - as diverse as children being found walking on the streets at night
- will be given much harsher penalties. In this example, parents will be jailed
for 'abandonment'.

"If you resist, show violent resistance, my order to police will be to shoot to
kill," he reiterated last month. "Shoot to kill for organised crime. You heard
that? Shoot to kill for every organised crime."

Duterte, dubbed 'The Punisher', has previously said it does not concern him if
this involves the deaths of tens of thousands of criminals.

"I expect you to obey the laws so there will be no chaos. I will hit hard on
drugs and I promise them (law-breakers) hell," Duterte said.

"What I will do is urge Congress to restore the death penalty by hanging."

Duterte said he wanted hanging as a firing squad was 'a waste of bullets'.

He also plans to put the military on Philippines streets to enforce his will.

"I need the military to pitch. I need military officers who are sharpshooters
and snipers. It's true. If you fight, I will have a sniper shoot you," he said.

High on his agenda are new laws to stamp-out drinking and smoking in public.

He says one of his first acts will be to extend local bylaws imposing a 2am
curfew on drinking and smoking in his city of Davao to the whole nation.

This includes restaurants and hotels.

As Mayor, Duterte has been accused of organising vigilante squad to impose a
rule of fear over the city of Davao. He boasted during the election campaign
that he was behind the deaths of 1000 people - though he also intermittently
denied the allegation.

(source: news.com.au)

******************

Duterte: Death penalty a retribution not a deterrent

President-elect Rodrigo Duterte Wednesday stressed the need to revive the death
penalty, which he said, would serve as "retribution" for those who committed
crimes.

He said those who insist that death penalty is not a deterrent to crime do not
understand his position on the issue.

"The death penalty might be a deterrence to commit a crime but that is one
school of thought," Duterte said.

"Death penalty to me is the retribution. It makes you pay for what you did," he
added.

The death penalty was abolished in 1987 during the time of President Corazon
Aquino but was revived in 1993 under President Fidel Ramos.

Crimes that were punishable by death include murder, rape, kidnapping and drug
trafficking.

Former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, a devout Catholic, signed a law
abolishing capital punishment in 2006.

Duterte reiterated that he would not hesitate to kill those who seek to destroy
the youth, whom he said, is the future of the country.

"Do not destroy my country because I will kill you. Do not destroy my children
because I will kill you," he said.

Duterte, who has pummeled critics of his strong anti-crime drive, said he would
just ignore Commission on Human Rights Chairman Jose Luis Martin Gascon, who
has been critical of his plans.

"If you know Gascon or if he is your friend, tell him I won't follow him,"he
said.

Duterte also has an unusual threat against incoming Sen. Leila de Lima, who
vowed to look into the law enforcement operations to be launched by the next
administration.

"If De Lima does not shut her mouth, I will kill her - with love. If she
agrees, I don???t know," he said.

Duterte to cops who kill criminals: 'I will protect you'

Duterte also vowed to help policemen who will face criminal charges for
performing their role in his ruthless campaign against criminality and illegal
drugs.

"I will take care of you I will protect you," Duterte said in a speech
delivered before local officials in Sarangani.

"If you kill 1,000, tell them it was ordered by Duterte. Period. I will deal
with everybody," he added.

Duterte, however, warned law enforcers not to lie to him or use his name to
justify illegal activities.

"I told the police and law enforcers not to embarrass me by lying. If you
committed a crime for personal reason, tell me and I'll help you. But do not
lie to me," he said at a business forum in Davao City last Monday.

Duterte, whose successful presidential campaign has been attributed to his
tough stance against crime, has vowed to suppress criminality in 3 to 6 months.
He has also offered bounty to people who will kill drug lords and has
encouraged ordinary citizens to arrest drug pushers in their communities.

"If you (policemen) are subpoenaed by the Ombudsman, tell them to send it to
Duterte," the tough-talking leader said.

Duterte, who served as Davao City mayor for 22 years, also warned local
executives who are involved in the narcotics trade.

"To the mayors who are into drugs: I will catch up with you. If we see each
other, if we meet in one corner, I don't know. I'm warning you especially those
who are still in government," he added.

Duterte previously told lawmakers that at least 35 local executives are
involved in illegal drugs trade.

Reacting to the recent deaths of suspected drug pushers, Duterte said some drug
lords may have silenced their accomplices to escape criminal liability.

(source: Philippine Star)

IRAN:

Executions in Iran prove Rouhani is not a moderate

British lawmaker Stephen McCabe has encouraged international support for a
major "Free Iran" gathering planned in Paris on July 9.

Mr. McCabe, a Member of Parliament from the United Kingdom's Labour Party, in a
video message said he is "very concerned" about the human rights abuses in
Iran.

"There's been some 1000 executions in Iran in the last year," Mr. McCabe said,
adding that regime's disrespect for human rights and international law shows
that the mullahs' President Hassan Rouhani is not a 'moderate' as some in the
West claim he is.

Mr. McCabe said he plans to attend the July 9 event in Paris in solidarity with
the Iranian people and their democratic Resistance movement led by Mrs. Maryam
Rajavi.

(source: NCR-Iran)

KENYA:

Kenya delegation in Oslo on meeting to end death penalty

A Kenyan delegation is in Oslo, Norway to attend the 6th World Congress against
the Death Penalty.

The 3 day Congress, starting Tuesday, seeks to assist countries develop new
strategies for universal abolition of the death penalty. This year's theme is
Abolition Now!

The Kenyan delegation, under the leadership of the Power of Mercy Advisory
Committee (POMAC), is expected to present the Kenya position on the ongoing
global debate on the death penalty.

POMAC is mandated to advice the President of the Republic of Kenya on the
exercise of the power of mercy. It is a 9 member Committee that includes the
Attorney General, who is the Committee's chairperson, the Cabinet Secretary
responsible for Correctional Services, and seven professional part time
members.

Michael Kagika the POMAC secretary and Gerald Wandera a director with the
National Crime Research Centre (NCRC) are leading the Kenyan delegation into
the meeting.

The annual event, now in its 5th year running, brings together Government
Representatives, Members of the Civil Society, Political Representatives,
Lawyers, media, and other key stakeholders keen on raising awareness on the
death penalty.

The Power of Mercy Advisory Committee was established through Article 133 of
the Constitution of Kenya, 2010.

Since its inception on Nov 1, 2011, 4,500 death row inmates have so far
benefitted from the Power of Mercy after having their death sentences commuted
into life.

In addition to the constitutional mandate, The Power of Mercy Act, 2011 assigns
the Committee with functions that support its work including to undertake or
commission research and to collect data on matters relating to the power of
mercy.

Currently, POMAC in partnership with the National Crime Research Centre is
conducting a National Public debate to solicit views from the general public,
on the subject of capital offences and capital punishment.

The objective of the debate is to provide an open dialogue on what Kenyans want
in regard to the handling of capital offenders and the management of capital
offences.

(source: standardmedia.co.ke)

KUWAIT:

Indian Asked to Pay Penalty Before His Execution by Kuwait Government

Kuwait court has sentenced an Indian to death and imposed a penalty of 5,001
Kuwait Dinars (KD). According to the Police officials, the Indian killed an
Afghani over debt of Kuwait Dinars 3,000.

The Police department has caught hold of the culprit with the help of his
sponsor. The culprit was convicted of the charge against him. The Kuwait Court
has issued a death penalty to the Indian, while directing him to compensate the
victim's family with Kuwait dinars 5,001.

(source: sakshipost.com)

SAUDI ARABIA:

Saudi Prince to Meet Ban Ki Moon, as Juveniles Await Beheading

The UN Secretary-General must use a meeting with the Deputy Crown Prince of
Saudi Arabia tomorrow to call for the release of three Saudi juveniles who face
beheading after allegedly attending protests, human rights organization
Reprieve has said.

Prince Mohammed bin Salman will today meet with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki
Moon in New York, in the latest of a series of diplomatic meetings that
included a trip to the White House last Friday. The meeting takes place amid
fears for the fate of three juveniles who have been sentenced to death after
they allegedly attended protests in the Kingdom's Eastern Province in 2012.

Ali al-Nimr, Abdullah al Zaher and Dawood al-Marhoon - who are assisted by
Reprieve - were all under 18 when they were arrested and tortured into
'confessions', which were later used to convict them in secretive trials. Last
autumn, they were informed that their final appeals had been rejected. They
could now be executed at any time.

Saudi Arabia has executed a record number of prisoners this year; a mass
execution carried out on January 2nd saw at least 2 juveniles killed. One of
them, Ali al-Ribh, had been arrested in school in the wake of the Eastern
Province protests.

The execution of juveniles and prisoners arrested for non-violent alleged
crimes is prohibited under international law. Research carried out by Reprieve
last year found that, of those prisoners identified as facing execution in
Saudi Arabia, some 72 % had been arrested for non-violent crimes, including
political protest.

Commenting, Maya Foa, director of the death penalty team at Reprieve, said:
"The Saudi authorities are engaged in unprecedented levels of repression -
Prince Mohammed's trip cannot mask his government's skyrocketing use of
torture, secret trials and beheadings. Among those who face execution for
allegedly attending protests are juveniles Ali, Dawood and Abdullah, and it is
crucial that Ban Ki Moon and other heads of state do not miss a crucial
opportunity to raise their cases. The Secretary General must make clear to the
Prince tomorrow that these terrible abuses in Saudi Arabia must stop - and that
Ali, Dawood and Abdullah must be released."

(source: Reprieve)