Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Jun 15 08:57:56 CDT 2016

June 15

PAKISTAN:

Shahid Hamid murder case: Non-bailable arrest warrants issued for Altaf Hussain
and 3 other MQM leaders

An anti-terrorism court has issued non-bailable warrants for Muttahida Qaumi
Movement supremo Altaf Hussain and 3 other senior MQM leaders Nadeem Nusrat in
the murder case of former KESC MD Shahid Hamid.

During the hearing on Wednesday, the Karachi police submitted the charge sheet
in the court declaring Altaf Hussain and others absconder in the case. The ATC,
later on, issued non-bailable arrest warrants for the MQM leaders.

Last month, the widow and son of Shahid Hamid identified the co-accused in his
murder case, during an identification parade. Co-accused Minhaj Qazi was
produced before a local court in Karachi for identification parade on May 24th,
where widow of Shahid Hamid, Shehnaz Hamid and his son Umer Shahid Hamid
identified him.

Saulat Mirza, the main accused in the case got the death penalty by the court
and was hanged in Machh jail on 12 May, 2015.

Nadeem Nusrat and Altaf Hussain were convicted for plotting the murder of
Shahid Hamid. Both the MQM leaders are not in the country and are likely to be
brought back through the Interpol.

Shahid Hamid was murdered along with his driver Ashraf Brohi, and his guard
Khan Akbar in the neighborhood of Defence Housing Authority, Karachi on the 5
July 1997.

(source: Daily Pakistan)

BANGLADESH:

6 to hang for Ahsanullah Master murder

The High Court on Wednesday upheld death penalty for 6 people and life term for
3 accused on charge of killing former parliament member Ahsanullah Master in
Gazipur's Tongi in 2004.

The 6 death row convicts are Nurul Islam Sarker, Nurul Islam Dipu, Mahbubur
Rahman Mahbub, Shahidul Islam Sipu, Hafiz alias Kana Hafiz and Sohag alias
Shuru.

The HC upheld life terms of Tipu and Nurul Amin.

The High Court bench, comprising justice Obaidul Hasan and justice Krishna
Debnath, commuted death penalty of seven accused to life terms. They are
Mohammad Ali, Syed Ahmed Hossain Majnu, Anwar Hossain alias Anu, Ratan Mia
alias Baro Mia Ratan, Jahangir alias Chhoto Jahangir (1), Abu Salam alias Salam
and Mashiur Rahman alias Monu.

A total of 11 people were acquitted in the murder case. Of them, 7 death row
convicts - Amir Hossain, Jahangir alias Baro Jahangir, Faisal, Rony Mia alias
Rony Fakir, Khokon, Lokman, and Dulal Mia - were acquitted by the High Court,
while four lifers - Monir, Rakib Uddin Sarkar alias Pappu, Aiyub Ali and
Jahangir - were also acquitted of the murder charge.

In 2005, a speedy Trial Tribunal sentenced 22 to death and awarded life term to
6 accused for the murder of Awami League leader Ahsanullah master. 17 of the
convicts are in prison while 9 others are absconding.

2 of the death row convicts, Al Amin and Ratan alias Chhoto Ratan, died.

Hearing on the appeal against the verdict began in January this year, which
concluded in June.

(source: prothom-alo.com)

AUSTRALIA:

Controversial Muslim cleric leaves country

A Muslim cleric who has previously suggested the death sentence for gay people
has left Australia following a public outcry at his entry into the country for
a speaking tour.

British-born Farrokh Sekaleshfar has boarded a flight at Sydney Airport on
Tuesday night after it emerged his visa was under review, according to the ABC.

His Sydney tour came under fire in the wake of the Orlando massacre at a gay
nightclub after a video emerged of the Muslim leader preaching death as a
compassionate sentence for homosexuals.

Mr Sekaleshfar said he made the "voluntary decision" to leave Australia and his
visa, which had been under review by the immigration department, had not been
cancelled.

"All I want to say, because I know this got caught up in the political area and
everything, that never have I incited hatred or violence against human beings,"
he told the ABC at Sydney Airport.

The cleric had been slated to give a talk at the Imam Husian Islamic Centre in
Earlwood, but he said they asked him to leave.

"It is a decision that IHIC thought it was in my best interests and for the
best interests of the community and I didn't want to go against the committee's
decision," he said.

Mr Sekaleshfar told the ABC he condemned the Orlando attack, where 49 people
were killed and more than 50 others injured by a gunman.

He said the death penalty should only apply in Islamic countries when
homosexual sex was committed in public view.

In a 2013 YouTube video titled "Islam and Homosexuality", the cleric delivered
a talk at the University of Michigan where he said if homosexuals died they
would sin less.

"Out of compassion let's get rid of them now, because he's contaminating
society ... his eternal life will be saved to some degree rather than if we
were to let him continue with his ways," he said in the video.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull earlier said he had zero tolerance for hate
preachers wanting to come to Australia.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said the man was not welcome in Australia with
his abhorrent views.

"I don't know how on earth that fellow got a visa," he told reporters in Perth.

(source: news.com.au)