Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Jun 14 16:01:12 CDT 2016

June 14

IRAN:

7 Sunni Prisoners Sentenced to Death by the Revolutionary Court

On May 25, 2016, the death sentences of 7 Sunni prisoners in Rajai Shahr prison
was notified to them. This verdict was issued by Branch 28 of the Revolutionary
Court headed by judge Moghiseh.

According to the report of Human Rights Activists News Agency in Iran (HRANA),
Davood Abdollahi, Kamran Sheikhi, Farhad Salimi, Anvar Khezri, Khosrow
Besharat, Ghasem Abesteh and Ayoub Karimi, are the 7 Sunnis prisoners who were
detained since December 7, 2009 and have been sentenced to death.

The hearing of these prisoners had been held at Branch 28 of the Revolutionary
Court headed by judge Moghiseh, on May 25, 2016.

The prisoners appealed in writing so the case will be reviewed by the Supreme
Court for the final result.

They did not have the opportunity to defend themselves in the court and were
not allowed to benefit from the presence of a lawyer of their own choosing.

The Sunni prisoners have been sentenced to death by the judiciary on charges of
acting against national security, propaganda against the system, membership in
the Salafist groups, corruption on earth and Muharebeh. The details about their
activities have not be published by authorities and judicial organs.

According to the information which HRANA was provided with, the defendants
denied involvement in armed conflicts and said that they had been arrested only
because of their believes and religious activities such as attending meetings
and distributing religious literature.

It is worth noting that HRANA has previously published the names of 27 death
row Sunni prisoners in Rajai Shahr prison whose sentences have been confirmed
by the Supreme Court.

(source: HRA News Agency)

TAIWAN:

Inmate's Sudden Execution Reignites Death Penalty Controversy in
Taiwan----Taiwan's former justice minister has stirred up controversy over the
death penalty in Taiwan.

"There was nothing extraordinary about his life, because every person's life is
invaluable, and every soul has the same high significance." Such were the words
of Taiwan's former Justice Minister Luo Ying-shay, after she approved the
execution of death row inmate Cheng Chieh last month.

Uproar ensued.

23 at the time of his death, Cheng had gone on a stabbing spree on Taipei's
metro 2 years ago, taking 4 lives and injuring over 20. He was dubbed the
"Monster of the Metro" by local media outlets including Apple Daily and the
United Daily News, and showed little to no remorse in both interrogation and
the trials that followed.

In late-April, he received a death sentence. 19 days later, he was dead. It was
what Cheng had longed for: during interrogation, he informed prosecutors that
he had set out to kill people so he would be given death penalty in return. "I
wanted to commit suicide, but I'm afraid it would hurt too much."

The crudeness of the excuse was not lost on the Taiwanese people, many of whom
called for his death online.

A week before the new government stepped into office, the Ministry of Justice
held a press conference, shortly after Luo decided to carry out Cheng's death
sentence at night.

His lawyer and family had not been notified, and Luo's reasoning was that, "If
we announced the execution beforehand, none of the death penalties would be
carried out. Relevant people would only continue to seek retrials and
extraordinary appeal."

Luo's reasoning was shocking: it sounded like the Justice Minister had created
her own loophole in the judiciary system to defy the legal procedure every
Taiwanese citizen is granted by law.

Luo ordered Cheng's immediate death because, even behind bars, he posed as an
"immense threat to the society's stability and security," and his death would
serve as a reminder for those tempted to kill for the same reasons.

Despite Cheng's unacceptable rationale for his actions and long history of
demonstrating a love for violence (as shown on his blog and in conversations
with classmates), many people in Taiwan also saw Luo's sudden order to execute
Cheng as an atrocity. Taiwan Alliance to End the Death Penalty executive
director Lin Hsin-yi spoke to the media shortly after Cheng's death, saying
that, "We can not allow the government to decide if the need for procedural
justice is essential under different circumstances." Inexcusable Abandonment of
Due Process?

As brutal as the crime had been and as important as it was to remind the
community that such actions would not be overlooked, Cheng deserves to be
walked through the complete judiciary procedure with his legal team and his
family deserves to be notified before his death.

How long should the government wait, from the moment when a death sentence is
finalized until the actual execution? In Cheng's case, the government has
chosen the simplest and most "convenient" manner by which to end one of the
most complex social issues existing, said Taiwanese lawmaker Tuan Yi-kang.

Tuan supports the abolition of Taiwan's death penalty. Those who were against
abolition were quick to blame the anti-death camp for several homicide cases
that occurred in the 2 years following Cheng's crime, saying that potential
murderers are on the prowl because they knew the government does not take the
death penalty seriously.

It may, of course, take many generations to accept the relatively newer concept
of a judiciary system that forgoes the death penalty. It may take possibly even
longer for this concept to be adopted and implemented; but, in the meantime,
the government should look into Cheng's case, hopefully turning this negative
incident into a positive lesson for Taiwanese society.

Killing people on the metro is an act of violence and so are the gunshots that
rang through the night Cheng died. The state is granted the right to carry out
this specific type of violence because it is codified in the law - law that is
solidified by social recognition. Nevertheless, this does not change the nature
of the violence enacted by the state.

Luo has denied vehemently that Cheng's life became a pawn in Taiwan's most
significant power exchange in history, but in the eyes of many, she has proven
to the people that top government officials have no respect for the law or for
a human life.

(source: The Diplomat)

BANGLADESH:

Family concern over journalist held without charge in Bangladesh ---- Magazine
editor, aged 81, could face death penalty if charged with sedition

An elderly British-Bangladeshi journalist facing a potential death sentence has
been denied bail by a Bangladesh court. Now his family fears for his health
while under detention.

I reported 2 months ago that Shafik Rehman, a prominent 81-year-old journalist,
had been arrested on a charge of sedition and remanded in custody. But he has
not been charged.

He applied for bail, which was denied at a hearing last Tuesday (7 June),
following several weeks in solitary confinement, without a bed. He was taken to
hospital last month and remains in a hospital wing of Dhaka central jail.

It is thought that the arrest of Rehman, a former speechwriter for the
opposition Bangladesh National Party, was politically-motivated.

The authorities have suggested that he will be charged over an alleged plot to
kidnap the son of the Bangladeshi prime minister, Sheikh Hasina Wazed.

But the government has not provided any evidence to support the existence of a
kidnap plot, or Rehman's involvement in it. In 2015, a US judge - who had
reviewed similar plot allegations as part of a separate American trial -
dismissed the allegations on grounds of insufficient evidence.

Rehman's incarceration comes amid criticism of the Bangladeshi government
following a series of recent attacks and arrests involving journalists,
bloggers and opposition activists.

In last month's human rights report on Bangladesh, Britain's foreign office
called for "an effective justice system" in the country and "a vibrant civil
society and free media, able to challenge and hold authority to account."

Rehman's family are being assisted by the human rights organisation, Reprieve.
The director of its death penalty team, Maya Foa, said: "It is deeply worrying
that the Bangladeshi authorities have seen fit to deny bail to an elderly
journalist, in what is clearly part of a wider crackdown on the government's
critics."

She pointed out that the authorities have failed to make any case against him.
"Meanwhile, his family in Britain are desperately worried that he could face
the death penalty, or that his health will fail in detention."

Foa called on the UK "and other countries with close ties to Bangladesh" to
urge Rehman's release "before it's too late."

For many years, Rehman edited Jai Jai Din, a mass-circulation Bengali daily.
More recently, until his arrest, he edited a popular monthly magazine, Mouchake
Dhil.

(source: The Guardian)

PHILIPPINES:

Death penalty won't stop crime, but could reduce ranks of poor

In a sense, the propagandists are right: the Duterte administration will "hit
the ground running." Despite the frail composition of the incoming Cabinet,
President-elect Rodrigo Duterte is showing unquestionable resolve in at least 2
areas - 1, in his proposed collaboration with the communists, and 2, in his
proposed reimposition of the death sentence. In both cases, the implementation
appears to precede even his formal assumption of office.

The announced resumption of peace talks with the Communist Party/New People's
Army/National Democratic Front in Oslo, Norway follows, rather than precedes,
the announced decision of the incoming President Duterte to name nominees of
the CPP/NPA/NDF to his Cabinet, thereby launching a coalition government with
the Left.

This is an inversion of the correct process. Ideally, the Cabinet appointments
should have come only after a comprehensive peace agreement has been concluded
between the government and the CPP/NPA/NDF.

This subject is more elaborately treated in a paper written by former National
Security Adviser and Secretary of National Defense Norberto B. Gonzales (The
Philippine Road Map to Communism), and appearing on the National Transformation
Council Facebook page and the NTC Website.

Reviving the death sentence

With respect to the proposed reimposition of the death sentence, Duterte's
announced support for vigilantism has gained strong support from local
executives and police chiefs, who have put up bounties on the head of notorious
drug trafficking suspects. Duterte's intended P1 billion bounty for the death
of thousands of drug dealers has drawn an immediate response from 20 alleged
drug lords, who are reported to have decided to raise a P1 billion kitty for
the assassination of Duterte and the new Philippine National Police chief.

Duterte has drawn enthusiastic support from the incoming members of the new
Congress who have abandoned their old sinking ship to board Duterte's adopted
flag carrier, the PDP-Laban, which used to have not more than a handful of
members. They are eager to support the reimposition of the death sentence,
which the 1987 Constitution has abolished, except for certain heinous crimes
which Congress may define for "compelling reasons."

The political butterflies are more than eager to pass the needed law, as though
it were no more than a city ordinance.

At the Senate, Sen. Aquilino Pimentel 3rd, who expects to be crowned Senate
President despite his being the only PDP member of the Senate, said the death
penalty should be in place by October, four months after the 1st regular
session of the 17th Congress opens on July 25. There was no mention of the need
for extended debate, so it appears that the decision to reimpose the death
sentence could precede the formal proposal for its reinstatement.

Atienza's dissent

Except for Buhay Party-List Rep. Lito Atienza, three times Mayor of Manila and
Cabinet member under the Arroyo administration, no incoming member of Congress
has expressed any strong misgivings about the proposed reimposition, and the
kneejerk reaction to it in the social media and various other places.

While fully supporting Duterte's proposed war on crime, Atienza, a pillar of
the national pro-life movement, has warned that reimposition of the death
sentence would be the wrong solution to crime. His objection is grounded on
high moral ground and a wealth of empirical evidence. At least 102 countries
have abolished the capital sentence, and among those that still have it in
their books, 38 have not carried it out in the last 10 years. This is a trend
the world can hardly ignore.

Weighing in

I am fundamentally against the capital sentence, and this is not the first time
I am compelled to weigh in.

In 1992, on the 1st year of my 1st term in the Senate, seven Senate bills
sought to impose the appropriate penalties for certain heinous crimes. All
except one proposed the death penalty as the maximum. This was consistent with
Article III, Section 19 of the Constitution, which provides: "Excessive fine
shall not be imposed, nor cruel, degrading or inhuman punishment inflicted.
Neither shall death penalty be imposed, unless, for compelling reasons,
involving heinous crimes, the Congress hereafter provides for it. Any death
penalty already imposed shall be reduced to reclusion perpetua."

When the 7 bills were consolidated, the committee in charge chose to scale down
the proposed penalty from death to reclusion perpetua. Sen. Jose Lina Jr., the
committee chair, asked me to co-sponsor the committee report, and on Nov. 18,
1992, I delivered my sponsorship speech on the floor of the Senate. My speech,
"The Death Penalty Will Not Solve Crime," has since been reproduced in a number
of publications, and appears in one of my books of Senate speeches, "Guarding
the Public Trust." I revisited it the other day, and found that none of the
premises have changed.

Against UN accord

Now, as then, the reimposition of the capital sentence would violate or at
least disavow a formal and solemn commitment of the Philippine government when
it acceded to the International Covenant on Political and Civil Rights and the
Second Optional Protocol on Jan. 23, 1987, which provides: "No one within the
jurisdiction of a (signatory) state shall be executed." And no party to the
agreement may do anything to prevent or delay the abolition of the capital
sentence.

What are we now to say to the rest of the world, were we to turn around and do
the exact opposite of what we had committed to do under the Covenant and its
companion protocol?

Shall we simply say, "Sorry we did not know what we signed, and we have now
changed our mind"? Or shall we say, "there is a general breakdown of law and
order, and the restoration of the death penalty is the only way to solve
crime"? This was what we heard then, and this is what we are hearing again now.
What, if any, has changed? 24 years ago I said:

???Our citizens despair of protection not only from criminals but also from
those who are supposed to protect them from criminals. Rightly or wrongly -
fairly or unfairly - many among them have learned to believe that they are as
much in danger from the police as they are from criminals. Rightly or wrongly -
fairly or unfairly - they have come to believe that the justice system does not
work; that nobody is ever arrested anywhere anymore; or if that criminals do
get arrested, they are never tried; if tried, they are never convicted; if
convicted, they are not made to suffer the remorse of living hell but given the
privileges of honored guests in a pre-paid inn.

"That is the heart of the problem. If we miss that, then we miss everything. We
end up trying to cure everything except the disease that needs to be cured, or
trying to cure one disease with a cure meant for another. This is what the
proposal to reimpose capital punishment means.

"Were the death penalty reinstated today, it would probably be met with cheers
from among its proponents. For a while it would satisfy their cry for blood and
raise their expectations about the government's capability to combat crime. But
it is the wrong solution and because it is the wrong solution to a serious
social problem, it will do no such thing. In the end, it would simply frustrate
and enrage the majority when they see that criminals still went unpunished and
the increased penalty has not deterred crime.

Need for reforms

"The solution to the problem does not lie here. It lies somewhere else. It lies
in reform. Reform the police and law-enforcement agencies. Reform the
prosecution arm of the government. Reform the judiciary and the legal
profession. Reform the prison system. Reform the social and political
institutions. Reform the media and the educational system. Reform the society
as a whole.

"Do all these and the state will not need to execute a single criminal to make
justice and the law, and the people's faith in them, live again. Look for the
solution elsewhere, and the state will remain powerless to deal with crime,
even if the government combined the harshest cruelties of the Mosaic Law, the
Code of Hammurabi and King Nebuchadnezzar and decreed the execution of the
entire village along with every condemned individual."

St. Thomas Aquinas, the greatest philosopher of all time, grants that under
certain conditions, the State, in the exercise of its right of self-defense,
may execute a criminal.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church confirms the moral validity of this
proposition when the death penalty is the only available means to protect the
society from a grave threat to human life; although never when other means more
respectful of human life are available to punish criminals and protect society
from them. The advance of human civilization has rendered the killing of
criminals by the state virtually unnecessary and non-existent.

The fallible state

There are grave practical reasons for this too. The State is not infallible,
and should be able to correct its mistakes. But the death penalty is
irrevocable, irreparable and irreversible once carried out; it can no longer be
corrected even after it is shown to have been a mistake - and there are many
instances when the penalty was shown to have been a mistake.

But does it not at least deter crime?

This is the biggest and loudest argument behind the proposal. Many seem to
believe, to use Arthur Koestler's words, that legal murder by the state
prevents the illegal murder by criminals, "just as the Persians believed that
whipping the sea would calm the storm."

This, however, is not supported by the evidence. Albert Pierrepoint, the last
century's most famous and longest employed executioner, said before he died
that capital punishment never deterred anyone from committing a capital crime.

Criminals don't learn

Koestler records, as does Camus, that at a time when England used to hang
pickpockets, other pickpockets worked the crowd that watched the hanging. They
usually chose the time when the strangled man was swinging above them to
exercise their talents, because they knew that everybody's eyes were fixed on
the wretched creature at the scaffold. Of 250 pickpockets who were hanged, says
Camus, 170 had previously attended 1 or 2 executions. In 1886, out of 167
condemned men who had gone through the Bristol prison, 164 had witnessed at
least 1 execution.

Prior to the abolition of capital sentence by the 1987 Constitution, death
convicts used to pack the national penitentiary to the brim, while awaiting
execution. Among these hundreds, if not thousands, of death convicts, not more
than a handful came from well-to-do families; almost all had wretched economic
and social backgrounds. Did this mean that only the poor were capable of
committing capital crimes?

By no means. But it means they had no means to hire good lawyers, or to bribe
the police, the fiscals and the judges in order to escape arrest, prosecution
or punishment. This situation has not changed at all. The poor still lie at the
bottom of the criminal justice system. So a revival of the death sentence can
only revive that same outrageous situation.

The death penalty will not solve crime. But if and when the state begins to
kill again, it would be killing the poor and only the poor. So while the
secretary of central economic planning tries to limit new births to a maximum
of three children per family, and the new anti-life and anti-family members of
the Senate try to railroad same-sex marriage and other means of population
control, capital punishment could be used to drastically reduce the ranks of
the poor on the other end. So if it doesn't work to solve crime, it could
probably be justified as an "anti-poverty measure."

(source: Francisco Tatad, The Manila Times)

CHINA----execution

Man who killed 6 people during a shooting spree in Shanghai executed

A man who killed 6 people, including a soldier, and injured 4 others in
Shanghai in 2013, has been executed by the Shanghai No.2 Intermediate People's
Court, the court announced today.

Fan Jieming, 65, was convicted of murder and robbery, and illegal possession of
guns, was given the death penalty in July last year.

The 6 who died during the shooting spree included 4 of Fan's colleagues, with
whom he had disputes over company matters, an unlicensed taxi driver, a
military sentinel from whom he stole the gun.

(source: Shanghai Daily)

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES:

Death penalty for Algerian who killed Chinese man upheld

An Algerian man who murdered a Chinese man and stole more than Dh1 million from
him has failed in his appeal against a death sentence.

The Court of Appeal heard there was conclusive evidence to show that the murder
was premeditated as he had been monitoring his victim's movements for 3 days
before committing the crime.

On the day of the murder, he entered the Chinese man's building armed with a
knife and wooden stick and attacked him in the lift, reported Aletihad, the
sister newspaper of The National.

He then stabbed the Chinese man twice, killing him instantly, before running
away with the victim's briefcase, which contained Dh1.02 million in cash.

(source: The National)