Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Jun 9 08:54:22 CDT 2016

June 9

PHILIPPINES:

DUTERTE EYES 50 EXECUTIONS A MONTH ---- Pro-death penalty bill could be passed
in 3 to 4 months

A bill calling for the revival of the death penalty may be passed by the House
of Representatives within the year, after President-elect Rodrigo Duterte, its
staunch proponent, sought the help of the chamber's leaders to pass it, a
lawmaker said Thursday.

In an interview, Quezon Rep. Danilo Suarez said passing the bill "is doable in
3 to 4 months," adding that he expects around 80 % of his colleagues to vote
for the bill during congressional deliberations.

Suarez was among the lawmakers Duterte met in Davao City last Tuesday to
discuss the bills he would certify as urgent. Also in attendance were House
Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. and Ilocos Norte Rep. Rodolfo Farinas, among
others.

Suarez said the proposed measure reinstating capital punishment is the 1st
priority bill Duterte - the outgoing mayor of Davao City known for his strong
anti-crime stance - wants to be passed.

"He mentioned how serious this problem [on criminality] was already," he said.

The Quezon lawmaker, a stalwart of the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA), is
eyeing to become the Minority Floor Leader in the incoming 17th Congress, while
Alvarez has picked Farinas to become the Majority Leader.

No expected rough sailing in Senate

Since Duterte's allies in the Senate and House of Representatives have clinched
the support of a "super majority" of their colleagues, Suarez said the
legislative branch should be able to fast track the passage of a measure on
capital punishment. The bill is also not expected to face rough sailing in the
Senate, according to Maki Pulido's report on "24 Oras," adding that Sen. Koko
Pimentel, who is being eyed as the next Senate President, believes it could be
passed in 3 months.

Even Sen. Tito Sotto, the next likely Senate Majority Leader, believes it is
high time for the country to bring back the death penalty.

Death by hanging

During their meeting in Davao City, Suarez recalled that Duterte expressed
preference for carrying out the death penalty through hanging rather than
lethal injection. He said the President-elect was convinced that bringing back
capital punishment would go a long way in curbing criminality.

"He articulated on the death penalty, saying it will be a strong deterrent if
we will be hanging 50 [persons] a month," Suarez said.

Asked on how Duterte would be able to carry out his goal of executing 50
convicts monthly considering that obtaining a conviction for death penalty
takes years, Suarez said what the President-elect likely meant is the swift
elimination of drug lords.

"What he's (Duterte) saying is elimination of big drug lords ASAP. If I can
read between the lines, regardless of how he'll do it, he will be
Machiavellian. The end justifies the means," he said.

Expect a showdown

For his part, Kabataan party-list Rep. Terry Ridon believes passing a pro-death
penalty bill could hit a few bumps even if Duterte's allies gain control of
Congress.

"I think there's going to be a showdown on the death penalty. Even if there's a
super majority in Congress, the public will [not] take this sitting down. I'm
quite certain interest groups like the Church, human rights organizations -
including those within Bayan (Bagong Alyansang Makabayan) - will be going to
the streets and protesting," he said.

While admitting that he will no longer be part of the next Congress, Ridon said
he is sure the progressive Makabayan bloc would remain critical of the measure
even if it joins the super majority coalition.

"I'm quite certain that members of the Makabayan bloc - assuming they will be
part of the majority - will raise the difficult questions on death penalty,
particularly on the question of how we can be certain that those who will be
subjected to it ought to be convicted for their crimes," he said.

One of those opposed in the reimposition of capital punishment is outgoing
Justice secretary Emmanuel Caparas, who said Congress should consider the
country's international commitments with regards to the death penalty.

"These obligations and commitments have to be reviewed as well because that
will have an impact on us," he said in the "24 Oras" report. "All of these will
have an impact on us the minute we changed this policy."

The Commission on Human Rights (CHR), for its part, said it is against the
death penalty as "it has been shown to be discriminatory against the poor and
the marginalized."

"The punishment of death is not the deterrent," it said in a statement. "Past
surveys have shown a rise in heinous crimes despite the imposition of the death
penalty."

(source: gmanetwork.com)

INDIA:

Gulberg case:Defence seeks leniency in sentencing for convicts

Counsel for the 24 convicted in the 2002 Gulberg Society massacre, which left
69 people including former Congress MP Ehsan Jafrey dead, today sought lenient
punishment for those guilty by the court which indicated that it will tomorrow
decide on the date of pronouncement of the quantum of sentence.

The special SIT court is hearing arguments made by the defence on mitigating
circumstances and other factors before determining the sentence for the
convicts.

On Monday, prosecution had sought death penalty for all the 24 people convicted
for the gruesome killings.

Special Judge P B Desai today heard the lawyer for accused Abhay Bhardwaj, who
presented lengthy arguments against demands for capital punishment or life
sentence till death, made by the prosecution lawyer.

The judge said the date for pronouncement of quantum of sentence will be
decided tomorrow after hearing the SIT lawyer, especially on the aspects of
compensation to families of the victims, which has been sought by the victims'
lawyer.

The court had on June 2 convicted 24 people and acquitted 36 others, while
dropping conspiracy charges. Out of the total 66 accused, 6 had died during the
trial. Of the 24 convicted, 11 have been charged with murder, while 13 others
including VHP leader Atul Vaidya, have been convicted for lesser offences.

While making his submission, Bhardwaj said the court should consider mitigating
circumstances for convicts including their prior criminal record, age,
socio-economic background, possibility of rehabilitation, and whether they can
reform, before pronouncing their sentence.

Citing various judgements of the Supreme Court, he argued that all judgements
are on reformative thinking unless prosecution proves that the convicts can't
be reformed under any circumstances.

He cited the case of Mohammad Jamaluddin Nasir who was found guilty of killing
five policemen and injuring 13 others during attack on American Centre in
Kolkata, and whose capital punishment was reduced to life sentence by the
Supreme Court.

He also cited the case of Vyas Ram, a member of Ranbir Sena who was found
guilty of killing 35 considered to be communist sympathizers in a Bihar
village, whose capital punishment was also reduced to life sentence.

"If the state can't establish that the convict is a menace to society, then
capital punishment should not be considered...even for those convicted of
lesser punishment, leniency and minimum punishment is required. The accused
while on bail began normal life by integrating themselves without creating any
trouble for even the witnesses even when living in the same locality," he
argued.

Bhardwaj also said that sentence of imprisonment for life necessarily means
jail term till death with power vested in the state to remit or commute as
deemed fit. He also cited SC judgements where the apex court held that the
sentences should be given concurrently and not consecutively.

"When an accused is sentenced for 1 major offence and found guilty of ancillary
provisions, then all sentences would be required to be ordered concurrently and
not consecutively," he argued.

Public prosecutor representing the Supreme Court- appointed Special
Investigation Team (SIT), R C Kodekar, had on Monday sought nothing less than
death sentence or jail term till death for all 24 convicts.

Kodekar had said all 24 convicts were found guilty of offence under section 149
of the IPC and therefore required to be treated on par when the sentence is
pronounced.

Lawyer for the victim, S M Vora had also sought maximum punishment for the
accused and argued that sentencing for each offence should not run concurrently
so that they spend their entire life in jail.

The Gulberg Society massacre here on February 28, 2002 when Narendra Modi was
Gujarat Chief Minister shook the nation when a mob of 400 people set about
attacking the society in the heart of Ahmedabad and killed the residents
including Jafri. It was 1 of the 9 cases of the 2002 Gujarat riots probed by
the Supreme Court-appointed SIT.

The incident had taken place a day after S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express was
burnt near Godhra train station in which 58 'kar sevaks' going to Ayodhya were
killed.

The Supreme Court, which has been monitoring the case, had directed the SIT
court to give its verdict by May 31.

During the course of trial, as many as 338 witnesses were cross-examined, with
four different judges having presided over the case.

Of the 66 accused named by the SIT in the case, 9 are behind bars, while others
are out on bail.

(source: Deccan Herald)

SINGAPORE:

Telok Kurau murder: Maid charged for killing elderly employer----Daryati, 23,
was arrested after her 59-year-old employer's motionless body was found on the
2nd floor of her home along Lorong H Telok Kurau.

A 23-year-old Indonesian domestic worker has been charged with murder, two days
after she allegedly killed her employer, Mdm Seow Kim Choo, at the woman's
Telok Kurau home.

Daryati was charged on Thursday (Jun 9) at Changi General Hospital, where she
has been warded since her arrest on Tuesday night. Once she is discharged, she
will be remanded at Changi Women's Prison to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

On Wednesday, lawyer Mohamed Muzammil was appointed by the Indonesian embassy
to represent Daryati.

The domestic worker was arrested after Mdm Seow's motionless body was found on
the 2nd floor of her home along Lorong H Telok Kurau. Paramedics pronounced the
59-year-old dead at the scene.

According to court documents, the alleged murder took place between 8.30pm and
8.45pm on Tuesday.

Daryati has also been accused of attacking Mdm Seow's husband, Mr Ong Thiam
Soon, 57, with a knife. Mr Ong sustained multiple injuries and was also taken
to Changi General Hospital, where he underwent surgery.

Channel NewsAsia understands the elderly couple's daughter-in-law called the
police following a commotion in a bathroom on the second floor of the house. Mr
Ong rushed to the bathroom to check on his wife, when Daryati emerged and
allegedly attacked him with a knife.

The domestic worker was eventually subdued with the help of a trio of
motorcyclists who happened to be passing by. The men - a mechanic and two
construction workers from Malaysia - said Mr Ong had sustained neck injuries.

Daryati appeared to have sustained injuries too, to her hand and forehead, the
men said.

Her case will next be mentioned on Jun 29. If convicted of murder, she faces
the death penalty.

(source: channelnewsasia.com)

GLOBAL:

Juveniles on Death Row Project

Seeing a child with a noose around their neck would make anyone turn away in
horror. It's not something most people imagine is still happening. But it's
likely there are hundreds of prisoners on death rows around the world who were
detained as children - potentially as many as 800 in Pakistan alone.

Thousands of Reprieve supporters have already taken action to save the lives of
Ibrahim Halawa in Egypt and Ali Al-Nimr in Saudi Arabia - both sentenced to
death for attending political protests when they were children. Now we want to
make sure other kids like them never end up on the world's death rows. Here's
how we're going to do it together.

We're launching our dedicated Juveniles on Death Row Project - to find those
detained as children who are now languishing on death row, and stop their
executions. Together we can save many lives, but we urgently need extra funds
to get this new project off the ground.

All donations to Reprieve are being matched and will make twice the difference

Act now - double your donation, double your impact.

Donate now

We know what a huge difference we can make on the ground, so your support right
now will go a long way. Recently, a prisoner in Malawi was freed on the day of
his court hearing after Reprieve staff found that his mental health assessment
listed his age as 17, and even took place on the children???s wing. He had been
sentenced to death after the police beat him and forced him to sign a forged
'confession'.

But cases like this often just fall through the cracks - unless we're there to
pick them up. With the funds we raise right now, we can work with our local
partners to locate juveniles who are facing execution, investigate their cases
and provide lawyers to take their cases to court. We can expose countries where
children are being sentenced to death. We can save lives right now, and
together we can apply public and legal pressure to stop it for good.

Our Juveniles on Death Row Project is new and will be entirely funded by our
supporters. Will you join those taking the lead in getting this project off the
ground by making a donation now?

All prisoners facing execution are at risk of extreme human rights abuses, but
children are particularly vulnerable and in need of our help. They often face
torture to extract false confessions and being put on trial for their life
without proper legal representation. They end up on death row in adult prisons
where conditions are brutal. They face years on death row, then the hangman's
noose or the executioner's sword.

Anyone who cares about justice will agree that death row is no place for any
child - so let's make sure we stop it for good.

We have the law and public opinion on our side. The execution of people
arrested as children is banned under international law and even domestic law in
many countries - which gives us the chance to save lives right now and reduce
execution rates worldwide.

We know we can make a difference when we're on the ground - and with your
donations our Juveniles on Death Row Project can get our team to the frontline
and increase our presence where we're needed most.

Thank you to everyone who is donation right now to help make this happen.

Matched Funding - how it works

A group of Reprieve's generous supporters have put together a pot of 30,000
pounds to match any donations to Reprieve up to that amount - meaning that we
can raise a total of 60,000 pounds to fund our work.

It's simple - the more donations we receive, the more of the matched fund we
will get, and the more people we can help.

(source: reprieve.org.uk)

**************

Death penalty for gay sex in 10 to 14 nations

10 nations with large Muslim populations have laws providing for the death
penalty for same-sex activity.

Only a few actually impose the death sentence. Exactly how many is a difficult
question.

The 2016 State-Sponsored Homophobia report from ILGA, the International
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association, lists 13-14 places that
threaten the death penalty for homosexuality, including the basic 10 plus
several specific variations:

One where executions occur - and go unpunished - despite the fact that there is
no death-penalty law (Iraq);

One that has approved a death-penalty provision but has not yet incorporated it
into the nation's laws (Brunei);

One that conducts executions but is not recognized as a nation (the Islamic
State, also known as Daesh, ISIS and ISIL);

One where, in theory, a particular interpretation of its laws would provide for
the death penalty but, in practice, no executions have been reported (United
Arab Emirates)

The ILGA list is quite similar to this blog's list of those 14 countries,
printed below:

A best-information-available list of countries/regions where executions for
homosexual activity are carried out or are provided by current or future law:

Nations with such laws on the books; executions have been carried out

1. Iran

2. Saudi Arabia

Nations with such laws on the books; no recent executions reported

3. Sudan

4. Yemen

Nations with such laws on the books in part of the country; no verified
executions for homosexual activity

5. Nigeria

6. Somalia

Nations with such laws on the books; no executions reported

7. Afghanistan

8. Mauritania

9. Pakistan

10. Qatar

Those are the "10 nations with large Muslim populations" mentioned in this
article's 1st paragraph." In addition, executions and possible executions are
an issue in 4 other places:

Nation with no such a law on the books; executions are carried out by militias
and others

11. Iraq

Not recognized as a nation; carries out executions

12. Daesh/the Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL)

Nation where such a law was scheduled to take effect in 2016 (but might not)

13. Brunei Darussalam

Nation where some interpretations of existing law would provide for the death
penalty, but no executions have been reported

14. United Arab Emirates

News coverage in all of those nations is unreliable at best, so specific
evidence of executions for same-sex intimacy is rare. What's known about some
specific countries is cited below.

In Somalia, a gay teenager was reportedly stoned to death in 2013, but those
reports have not been verified.

In Nigeria, the BBC reported in 2007, "More than a dozen Nigerian Muslims have
been sentenced to death by stoning and for sexual offences ranging from
adultery and homosexuality. But none of these death sentences have actually
been carried out as they were either thrown out on appeal or commuted to prison
terms as a result of pressure from human rights groups."

In Sudan, the death penalty is in frequent use, but there are no recent reports
of executions for same-sex intimacy. In 2014, Sudan ranked at No. 6 worldwide
in number of executions (23+) for various offenses, just below the United
States, with 35, according to Amnesty International.

Similarly, Yemen is No. 7 in frequency of executions overall, but the death
penalty apparently has not been imposed recently for homosexual activity.
Researchers for Canada's Immigration and Refugee Board reported more than 10
years ago, "Information on whether such sentences have been carried out was not
found." More recently an article on Yemen's gay community in The Tower magazine
stated, "Traditionally, that death penalty is not enforced, but citizens have
been imprisoned for their sexual orientation."

Saudi Arabia is No. 3 among the world's most avid executioners, with 90+ in
2014. At least in the past, beheadings were imposed for homosexual behavior,
including 3 men in 2002. Imprisonment and lashings are a more common punishment
for same-sex activity.

Iran is No. 2 in the world for frequency of executions, behind China. Those
include executions for homosexual activity, although the facts are often
unclear or misrepresented in such cases. (See, for example, "Bogus hanging in
Iran, bogus tweets in Egypt" and "Series of public hangings in Iran, including
2 for sodomy.")

Evidence is a bit clearer about 2 war-torn areas - Iraq and the territory
controlled by Daesh/the Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL). The ILGA report of 2015
noted that "Iraq, although [the death penalty is] not in the civil code,
clearly has judges and militias throughout the country that issue the death
sentence for same-sex sexual behaviours. ... We are also aware that in the
Daesh(ISIS/ISIL)-held areas the death penalty is implemented (although a
non-State actor, it is listed in the report)." For examples, see:

?Iraq has become a death trap for gay men (September 2012)

'Islamic State' has reported 15 LGBTI executions (May 2015)

In some nations, the death penalty is on the books but is not imposed. ILGA in
2015 stated:

Brunei Darussalam is due to activate the death penalty for same-sex sexual acts
in 2016, but it seems likely that like Pakistan, Afghanistan and Qatar although
it is on the statute, it will not be implemented.

ILGA reported in 2016 about Brunei: "there is no sign that the threatened death
penalty is to be implemented."

According to the U.S. Department of State, Mauritania belongs in this category
too. A U.S. Department of State cable from 2009, released by WikiLeaks in 2011,
indicated that Mauritania has never imposed the death penalty for homosexual
activity or any other crime.

ILGA reported in 2016 that "although is understood that the United Arab
Emirates has not implemented [the death penalty] under the Sharia code, it
remains a possibility under interpretations current in the Emirates."

(source: 76crimes.com)

BANGLADESH:

Execution of Nizami bodes ill for Bangladesh's future----There is nothing
liberal about calling for execution without regard to due process.

Talha Ahmad is a teacher, lawyer, activist, and Chair at the Membership
Committee of the Muslim Council of Britain.

In May, the Bangladeshi government executed the most high-profile person
convicted of war crimes. This execution bodes ill for future of the country.

Motiur Rahman Nizami, the chief of Jamaat-e-Islami, the country's largest
Islamic political party, was accused of war crimes committed during
Bangladesh's war of independence in 1971.

However, the legal framework underpinning the tribunal and its conduct has come
under severe criticism from international bodies including the United Nations
and all major human rights organisations.

Atrocities on both sides

Bangladesh's war of independence was a bloody affair. While there is no agreed
account of the scale and extent of the crimes committed, neutral observers have
accepted that grave crimes were committed on both sides.

Although atrocities committed by the Pakistani army and their collaborators are
well known in the West, less discussed are the lynch mobs and reprisals against
those opposing independence.

One of the enduring images that came from this time was that of the Mukti
Bahini, or the freedom fighters, bayoneting suspected collaborators for the
Pakistani army.

Prominent Bengalis who opposed independence were forced to flee, go into hiding
or face a brutal backlash including being tortured and murdered.

Though narratives coming from that time are polarised, the grievances
surrounding the 1971 war are real and the need for closure to that period of
Bangladesh's history is necessary.

Such calls are usually associated with the pro-independence bloc which has
actively called for the current war crimes process. Yet, there is consensus and
wide support for a fair, transparent and robust trial.

Indeed, almost all of the accused, including Nizami, had expressed their
readiness to clear their name in front of a proper and fair trial which upholds
international standards.

Unfortunately, in addition to failing to meet fundamental requirements for a
fair trial, the current tribunal's jurisdiction is only to try the Bengalis who
collaborated with Pakistan army.

Flawed justice and political show trial

Nizami's trial - like those before and after him - is riddled with flaws (PDF).
And sadly, the evidence is overwhelming to support claims that many of these
flaws are intentional to predetermine the outcomes of these trials.

This was given credence by leaked conversations of Nizamul Haque Nasim, the
chairman of the tribunal, with a Brussels-based Bangladeshi lawyer linked to
previous campaigns against some of those facing trials.

"Some see the war crimes tribunals in Bangladesh as ultimately the clash of
progressive secular liberalism and the regressive, increasingly militant
Islamic puritanism."

Some of the conversations were specific and serious, which essentially amounted
to a tri-party collusion between government, judiciary and pro-independence
campaigners to predetermine outcomes of the trials.

The current chief justice who chaired the Appellate Division bench in Nizami's
verdict was named in one of the leaked conversation as a party to the whole
collusion.

However, the tribunal's most serious flaw is its consistent imposition of
severe restrictions on the accused to produce witnesses in their defence.

For example, 16 charges against Nizami were all serious and carried the death
penalty. These charges were related to numerous events, which were not
necessarily factually or geographically linked. Yet, Nizami was only allowed to
call 4 witnesses.

An 'uncivil' civil society

The failure of the judiciary to facilitate justice is compounded by
Bangladesh's dysfunctional civil society.

The trials exposed how "uncivil" its civil society really is. Criticisms of the
legal framework and conduct of the trials had come from numerous quarters.

Yet, Bangladeshi media and civil society have either ignored these criticisms
or accused those criticising of acting on Jamaat's instructions.

Moreover, Bangladesh's "secular" establishment - writers and intellectuals -
have used their pens to extol the virtues of these trials, while branding
opponents as Islamists for daring to quibble over the rule of law.

They were aided by mass demonstrations organised by the Ganajagaran Mancha, the
group that has been consistently vocal in demanding the death penalty for the
war criminals of 1971.

While in the West they continue to be celebrated as the vanguard for secular
and liberal values, they are anything but - a mass, reminiscent of lynching
mobs that came together demanding the execution of the 1971, accused without
any regard for due process.

The movement was kicked off when it tried to put pressure on the Supreme Court
of Bangladesh to change the life sentence verdict on 1 of the accused, Abdul
Quader Mollah.

While the Bangladeshi government has cracked down and prevented mass rallies
opposing these executions, they have allowed and often facilitated this
"liberal" and "progressive" platform which has since celebrated every execution
that has taken place on the streets.

Clash of values

Some see the war crimes tribunals in Bangladesh as ultimately the clash of
progressive secular liberalism and the regressive, increasingly militant
Islamic puritanism.

The government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has used this misconceived
notion to her maximum advantage. In strange ways her hands have been
strengthened by a series of unfortunate and barbaric killings of individuals,
activists and authors known for their unconventional - and at times - highly
contested opinions about Islam and Muslims.

These incidents, together with several killings of people from minority faith
groups, have supported the claim of a clash between rising Islamic extremism
and increasingly "threatened" secular liberal tradition.

However, this clash of values is a false dichotomy. Bangladesh's Islamic
political forces have many flaws, but a leaning towards violence or hatred of
minority faith communities is not one of them.

Killing, violence and attacks on minority communities are too common in
Bangladesh and have been for many years. While none of them has ever been
properly investigated, and the perpetrators never tried in a judicial process
that can withstand international scrutiny, the fingers have often been pointed
to the politicians belonging to the ruling party for orchestrating such
violence.

Moreover, there is nothing liberal about calling for an execution without
regard to due process, suppressing free speech, stifling political opposition
or enforcing blackout of media coverage of those the "liberal" elites
disapproves. That only re-enforces the illiberal mentality and attitude the
secular-liberals claim to be fighting against.

What the future holds

The reality on the ground - influenced by complex political interests,
challenging economic reality and a fast-evolving society - makes any prediction
or, indeed, suggestion for progress harder.

With the scope for free speech all but squeezed, the prevailing sociopolitical
view is giving life to intolerance.

However, the Bangladesh government, media and civil society alone are not to be
blamed. The international community - inter-state organisations, pressure
groups and media - have all been too willing to accept a simplistic narrative
of secular liberalism versus rising Islamist extremism as the real problem in
Bangladesh.

This is evident from the international attention given to the horrific murders
of a handful of activists whose causes resonated with Western society.

Even though their murders were rightly condemned and given attention to,
hundreds of others continue to be victims of political murder and violence -
especially when they belong to one of the Muslim religious parties or groups.

But their plight is hardly recorded in the international media. This is despite
them being targeted and killed for holding a certain socio-political view.

In turn, Bangladeshi centre-right and religiously inspired activists view
Western civil society and the media with mistrust. Extremists have preyed on
this, questioning the value of democracy in ensuring their rights and liberty.

(source: Talha Ahmad is a British lawyer of Bangladeshi heritage. He is a
co-chairman of the campaign group, Stand Up To Racism, and a commentator on
British Muslims and Bangladesh affairs----aljazeera.com)

KAZAKHSTAN:

Nazarbaev: Aqtobe Attacks Orchestrated From Abroad

Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev has claimed that the attackers who carried
out the recent attacks that rocked the northwestern city of Aqtobe "received
instructions from abroad," and suggested that suspects will face the death
penalty.

The June 8 comments were the first made by the Kazakh leader since dozens of
gunmen carried out the attacks on June 5, prompting a "counterterrorism
operation" and leaving a growing death toll of more than 20 dead, including
attackers.

There have been no credible claims of responsibility for the attacks, which
targeted two gun shops and a National Guard base and have left the country in a
state of high alert, with several attackers still at large.

In separate statements posted to the president's official website, Nazarbaev
said that "pseudo-religious radical movements who received instructions abroad"
were behind the attacks, and that "a person who has taken up arms and killed
people should be punished with the death penalty."

The long-serving president introduced a moratorium on capital punishment in
2003 and the death penalty was officially abolished in 2007, but the country's
constitution makes an exception in cases of terrorist acts.

Also on June 8, Nazarbaev was quoted by his official website as telling
security chief Vladimir Zhumakanov that in the course of the continuing
manhunt, suspects "should be eliminated in the case of armed resistance."

"We are aware that they are in the region, we have identified them, and local
people have been warned about it," Nazarbaev said.

The claim that the attackers had received instructions from abroad offered no
indication of who may have given the instructions.

The Interior Ministry told RFE/RL's Kazakh Service on June 8 that 13 suspected
attackers were killed and 4 of them injured, while 6 remain on the run. 9 have
been arrested, according to the ministry.

Kazakhstan plans to hold a national day of mourning on June 9 to commemorate
the victims, the president's website announced.

Security chief Zhumakanov said during his meeting with Nazarbaev that the
authorities had identified and questioned 20 people who allegedly "refused to
take part in the preparation stage" of the Aqtobe attacks. Zhumakanov provided
no further details.

Kazakh police spokesman Almas Sadubaev has said the attackers are suspected to
be followers of "nontraditional religious movements," a term often used in
Central Asia to describe Islamic extremist groups.

Kazakhstan's Senate, however, in condemning what it described as a "foul
criminal attack" against the country's peace and stability, has said the
perpetrators' actions had "nothing to do with religion."

The country is in a state of high alert, but there are signs that life is
returning to normal in Aqtobe. RFE/RL's Kazakh Service reported that businesses
and schools have reopened and public transportation has resumed normal
operations in the city of nearly 400,000.

Funerals took place on June 8 for 3 of the civilians killed, the service
reported.

The Aqtobe incidents are a rare burst of violence in the tightly controlled
country of around 18 million people.

Kazakhstan witnessed major protests against planned agricultural-land reforms
in April and May. More than 1,000 activists were detained around those
demonstrations, and many received 10-15-day jail sentences after being
convicted of planning or attending the unsanctioned rallies.

(source: Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty)

PAKISTAN:

Killers of Pindi judge awarded death penalty

An anti-terrorism court yesterday awarded death sentence to three men who were
convicted for killing Additional District and Sessions Judge Muhammad Tahir
Khan Niazi.

The convicts killed Niazi during a robbery incident in his house in August last
year.

Special Judge Malik Asif Majeed Awan awarded the 3 convicts death sentence on 2
counts to each of them.

The convicts Rashid alias Chand, resident of Rawalpindi, Aamir Bhatti of
Sialkot, and Fiaz alias Mansha of Lahore were also given life-term jail for
planning to kill the judge.

The court also imposed Rs 130,000 as fine on each of the convicts who will have
to remain in jail for 17 years more if they fail to pay the fine.

The ATC granted 2 years extra jail term to Aamir Bhatti for misbehaving with
the wife of the slain judge.

Sadiqabad police registered a murder case on August 5, 2015 on the complaint of
Sajjad Khan Niazi, brother of the deceased judge.

According to details, armed men entered the house of Niazi located in Satellite
Town Rawalpindi apparently to commit robbery, shot dead the judge and fled
away.

Following the murder, the police announced Rs 1.7 million for one who would
provide information about the men who killed the judge.

The police prepared the sketches of 3 men following their description by wife
of the slain judge.

On August 16, 2015, the regional police officer addressed a press conference
saying that 3 men had been arrested in connection with the murder of the judge.

The RPO had told that the 3 men were located through their mobile phone data
and use of advanced technology.

The police officer, however, had not disclosed the motive behind the murder.

Initially it was learnt that 3 accused entered the house of the judge with the
motive of robbery and they killed Tahir Niazi when he put up resistance.

Later, however, it was known that the 3 convicts killed the judge who had
convicted them in Lahore for their role in drug trafficking.

(source: The Nation)

**************

Murder convict gets death sentence

The Additional District and Sessions Judge (Central) on Tuesday sentenced a
convict, Nadeem, to death after he was proved guilty of murder.

The court observed that Nadeem had killed an innocent man, Shoaib, and the case
had been registered at the Rizvia police station against the convict and
Khurram Akbar who is absconding. Nadeem was arrested in 2009 but the court had
issued non bailable warrants for Akbar.

The court found Nadeem guilty and awarded him the death penalty with a fine of
Rs500,000 payable to the heirs of the victim.

Kidnapper jailed

Meanwhile, Additional District and Sessions Judge at the judicial complex
awarded 10-year imprisonment to Khurram Mustafa in kidnapping for ransom and
murder cases.

Khurram Mustafa had kidnapped a man, Muhammad Mushtaq, within the jurisdiction
of the Sachal police station on September 5, 2011, and had demanded huge amount
as ransom for his release.

The family of poor Muhammad Mushtaq had failed to pay the demanded amount so
the kidnapper had killed Muhammad Mushtaq whose body was later found in a gunny
bag with a tag stating 'Eid gift'.

2 other co-accused, Tariq and Ahmed, were also tried in the case but they were
acquitted of all charges. The court awarded 10-year-imprisonment to Khurram
Mustafa and also imposed a fine of Rs50,000.

(source: The News)