[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----MO., KAN., CALIF.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun Jan 31 10:56:34 CST 2016

Jan. 31

MISSOURI:

Kezer case reveals the sin of a nation

In 2008, a young but talented cops and courts reporter stepped into my office
and told me she wanted to dig into the Angela Mischelle Lawless murder case.

A young managing editor myself, I knew this was an important decision, and I
was apprehensive to pursue the subject. The 1992 case of a murdered nursing
student from Southeast Missouri State University was being reopened by Sheriff
Rick Walter in Scott County, a bold move. But did we really want to dive into
the story and risk reopening old wounds?

I hesitated, and told Bridget DiCosmo, who had previously worked at an
Innocence Project, that she could start looking into it, but I wasn't convinced
that we wanted to publish anything. She persisted with updates and reminders,
and finally after several weeks of digging into the case, flatly told me, "Bob,
I've gone through the whole file. There is not one single piece of evidence
that holds up."

So Bridget intensified her reporting and ultimately brought out the details
that would explain to the public why, months later, a judge would throw out the
murder conviction of Joshua Kezer. In fact, the judge did more than that,
proclaiming "actual innocence" of Kezer.

Bridget's reporting and Kezer's story changed my mind on the death penalty.

If you're not familiar with the case, essentially Kezer was convicted on the
testimony of 3 inmate snitches who cooked up a scheme, in exchange for lesser
prison sentences, and told police Kezer had told them he had killed someone in
Benton (though the snitches said it was Benton, Illinois, which didn't seem to
matter to investigators.) All 3, at one point or another, recanted their
testimonies, saying they had only done so to reduce their jail time. Kezer was
also "identified" in a lineup by a very questionable witness. Kezer was the
only person in the lineup whose photo was emblazoned with the words "police
department."

Then there was the dramatic prosecutor Kenny Hulshof, who lied when he told the
jury in his closing statement that Kezer's jacket was covered in blood. And he
completely mislead jurors in other aspects of his arguments. He also withheld
evidence from the defense that the same witness who pointed out Kezer in a
lineup had at one point identified a person he knew as a possible suspect.
Kezer didn't even know Lawless. He had no motive.

Add it all together and, truly, you have the ingredients to "Making a
Murderer."

After Kezer's tainted case was reopened by Walter, exposed in our paper and
cleansed by the courts, I have paid much more attention to the death-penalty
issue, and how wrongful convictions have trickled out to the masses, thanks in
large part to the Innocence Project. I read John Grisham's "Innocent Man," a
nonfiction story of a man wrongly convicted of the rape and murder of a woman
in Oklahoma. He was sentenced to death, then later exonerated by DNA evidence.
I listened to the entirety of the massively popular "Serial" podcast, a
fascinating narrative produced by NPR's Sarah Koenig, that sheds light on
shoddy defense attorney work and reasonable doubt in the killing of a teenage
girl in 1999. The suspect in that case is serving a life sentence. Last week, I
finished the Netflix documentary series "Making a Murderer." None of these
stories are any more egregious than Kezer's. Kezer didn't do it. I have zero
doubt, and had his case been followed by a major media outlet or personality,
his story would've resonated across the country, too. Space prohibits me to
include all the overwhelming details here. You'll have to trust me, and the
judge, when I say it was a disaster of justice. Kezer was sent off to prison as
a teenager for a crime he did not commit, and was finally freed with gray hair.
15 years he spent in one of the toughest prisons in the land.

That brings me back to the death penalty. It's back on the front-burner of our
political consciousness.

On Thursday, Kezer, who was not on death row but received a 60-year sentence,
was in Jefferson City, Missouri, testifying against the death penalty. A
bipartisan coalition sent a bill repealing Missouri's death penalty to the
state Senate for debate.

It's a relief in some ways that the death-penalty debate is becoming less
partisan. A growing number of Republicans are questioning the merits of the
punishment. It's always puzzling to me how issues such as the death penalty are
grouped into party affiliation rather than considered stand-alone issues.

For me, it's not a matter of whether a guilty murderer deserves the death
penalty. The sad fact is that we have too much room for error. We have
imperfect people investigating and prosecuting crimes. For too many law
enforcement officials, but certainly not all of them or even most, their
motives are not necessarily steered by justice, but rather, perhaps, to bring
closure to a case, or closure for the victim's family; or even the fear of
losing a big case, or maybe an insatiable appetite to win, even if justice is
compromised. Juries are instructed to presume a person is innocent, even as the
defendant is shackled in an orange jumpsuit in some cases.

It's sometimes easy to look at big-picture topics and tell yourself that this
issue doesn't happen here, couldn't happen here. But it did.

And it happens all over the country.

Since 1992, the Innocence Project has helped produce 337 exonerations based on
DNA, according to its website. And the organization can't keep up with the
demands for its services.

Studies have shown that between 2.3 % and 5 % of all prisoners in the U.S. are
innocent, the organization reports, adding that if just 1 % were innocent, that
would mean more than 20,000 innocent people are in prison.

I don't know anyone who supports convicting innocent people, but it happens.
It's woeful enough to send innocents to cages. It's the sin of a nation to kill
them. It's just too much for a country that is built on life, liberty and the
pursuit of happiness.

It's time to end the death penalty in Missouri.

(source: Op-Ed; Bob Miller, Southeast Missourian)

KANSAS:

Jury selection to start in quadruple murder case

Jury selection is scheduled to begin in the capital murder trial of a man
accused of killing 4 people in eastern Kansas in 2013.

Kyle Trevor Flack is charged with capital murder in Franklin County in the
shooting deaths of Kaylie Smith Bailey and her 18-month-old daughter. He's also
charged with 1st-degree murder in the deaths of Andrew A. Stout and Steven
White.

Stout, White and Kaylie Bailey were found dead at Stout's farm in Ottawa, about
50 miles southwest of Kansas City. Bailey's daughter's body was found a few
days later in neighboring Osage County.

Flack has been in custody since shortly after the bodies were discovered.

The Kansas City Star reports that jury selection is scheduled to begin Monday.
Authorities say jury selection could take 2 weeks.

(source: Associated Pess)

CALIFORNIA:

End to California Execution Moratorium Raises Controversial Death Penalty Case

California lifted a moratorium on executions in November and is now set to
execute Kevin Cooper - even though several federal judges say he may be
innocent.

Having exhausted all his options in court, Cooper, 57, is about to file a
last-ditch appeal with Gov. Jerry Brown. In a new interview from death row,
Cooper says he is pleading with Brown to bring "an open mind" about the
evidence in his case.

"I am the only person in the history of the state to have 5 federal circuit
judges say that 'the state of California may be about to execute an innocent
man,'" Cooper told NBC News.

Cooper is referring to rulings by the top federal court in California, the
Ninth Circuit, which found prosecutors illegally withheld evidence that cast
doubt on his guilt. Still, the court upheld his conviction for an infamous
quadruple murder.

It all began in June 1983, when 4 people were found brutally murdered in a
ranch house in Chino Hills, a Los Angeles suburb.

Douglas and Peggy Ryen, their 10-year-old daughter Jessica, and 10-year-old
Chris Hughes, who was staying at the house, were all hacked and slashed to
death. They received over 144 wounds in four minutes, according to the coroner.
Josh, the Ryens' 8-year-old-son, was found with his throat slit but managed to
survive.

The boy's memory of the murders would prove to be pivotal in the case, cited by
prosecutors to prove Cooper was the killer - and by those who insist Cooper is
innocent.

Ryen initially said that 3 white or Latino men murdered his parents. That
account, combined with physical evidence that suggested multiple killers, led
police to release a criminal bulletin seeking 3 suspects who were "white or
Mexican males."

Other early clues supported that theory.

On the night of the murders, 2 witnesses saw 3 white men driving a station
wagon down the dead-end road away from the house. The family's station wagon
was stolen that night.

Then a local woman, Diana Roper, told police she thought her estranged husband
was involved in the "Chino Murders," according to records from the sheriff
department.

The man, Lee Furrow, was a white convicted murderer. She said his hatchet was
missing. And, most critically, she told police he left coverall pants,
splattered with blood, at her house on the night of the murder.

Roper gave police the bloody pants, but they did not test them.

Instead they threw the pants out in a dumpster.

Destroying evidence was not only bad police work - it was also illegal, as the
Ninth Circuit court would later rule.

But why did police scuttle a potential lead? They had begun zeroing in on
Cooper. And they had a reason.

Police discovered that before the murders, Cooper escaped a minimum-security
prison and hid out at a house right by the Ryen residence. As a local NBC
anchor reported during at the time, police began to think "the murderer may
have stayed in the house next door," then attacked the Ryens.

That led to a new theory: fugitive Kevin Cooper as the sole killer.

Authorities began with circumstantial evidence for the theory. It was
undisputed that Cooper was nearby, had a criminal record of burglary
conditions, and was on the run from the law. Prosecutors, however, usually need
more than circumstance for a murder conviction.

At trial, they offered other evidence to physically link Cooper to the crime,
such as blood, shoeprints and testimony from Josh Ryen, the 8-year-old
survivor.

When Cooper was first arrested and his face was shown on TV in June 1983, Josh
Ryen said that was not the man who killed his parents. On 2 occasions, in fact,
he told his grandmother and a sheriff's deputy that Cooper was not the killer.

At trial, however, prosecutors were able to present different testimony.

Prosecutors said Ryen no longer thought three white or Latino people killed his
family, and that he had come to realize there was 1 killer - Kevin Cooper. They
introduced that version of the testimony at trial. (In later hearings, Cooper's
lawyers would argue that he was denied the right to fully cross examine the one
eyewitness accuser).

Prosecutors also argued that crucial shoeprints at the scene must be from
Cooper, because they were prison-issued shoes which he owned that were not for
sale to the general public.

It sounded like damning evidence - although the warden at Cooper's own prison
said it wasn't true. Prosecutors hid that rebuttal from the jury, which an
appeals court later held was illegal.

Finally, prosecutors said they had Cooper's blood in the house. They alleged
that a drop on the wall matched Cooper's blood sample - a crucial allegation,
since he claimed he had never been in the house, or met the Ryen family.

After 7 days of deliberation, the jury found Cooper guilty and he was sentenced
to death.

"I MET THEIR VOLUNTEER EXECUTIONERS"

Cooper maintained his innocence, but state courts rejected all his appeals.

Then-Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger declined to intervene, saying evidence of
Cooper's guilt was "overwhelming," and Cooper's execution was scheduled for
Feb. 10, 2004. His only hope was intervention by a federal court.

As the date approached, that seemed increasingly unlikely, and Cooper recalls
being led into the death chamber that day.

"I met their volunteer executioners," Cooper said. "They had me stand there
butt-naked in that death chamber."

"You watch the clock as your life goes off, minute by minute," Cooper told NBC
News. "I was ten feet away from being murdered."

Then with 3 hours left, the Ninth Circuit halted the execution.

The judges decided to convene a special review of the case by every member of
the court - which happens in less than 1 % of cases - and then they ruled that
some evidence used against Cooper was flawed and illegal.

The court found that the warden of the prison where Cooper served, in 1983,
said that prison did not give out special prison shoes. That undercut the
prosecution's claim. And the warden said he told investigators that fact before
the original trial, which they hid.

The court ruled prosecutors broke the law by withholding that evidence, and
"Cooper was almost certainly not wearing" the shoes from the crime scene.

If they weren't Cooper's shoeprints, whose shoes were they? That question has
never been answered.

The judges went further, probing the police destruction of Lee Furrow's bloody
coveralls. They also noted a new jailhouse confession from an associate of
Furrow's, who said he did the crime part of an attempted revenge killing, but
it mistakenly "hit the wrong house."

The court ordered new proceedings and blood testing, noting that "no person
should be executed if there is doubt" about guilt.

MORE EVIDENCE, MORE QUESTIONS

As the evidence in the public record shifted, some jurors from Cooper's
original trial expressed doubts.

"I let the police misconduct go and sentenced Mr. Cooper to death," one wrote
in 2004. "I now regret that decision."

Others involved in the case vigorously disagreed.

Dennis Kottmeier, the district attorney who prosecuted Cooper, maintained it
was "the strongest evidentiary case" he "had ever seen."

Bill Hughes, the father of victim Chris Hughes, said the 2004 ruling was
"unfathomable."

"We know he's guilty," he said after the ruling. "We know that we have the
truth on our side."

The Court's decision did not overturn Cooper's conviction. It stayed the
execution pending further tests and fact-finding by a lower court. That process
unearthed more irregularities.

A "STARTLING" BLOOD DISCOVERY

It turned out that the state's original test on blood in the house did not
match Cooper. Then a later test did, and the state changed the criminologist's
original notes about the shift.

Then, when the state lab provided material for new tests under the 2004 court
order, it accidentally sent out Cooper's original blood sample, drawn in August
1983, for testing. This was the 1st time that blood evidence was ever examined
by independent experts who did not work for the prosecution.

What they found was, as a judge would later write, "truly startling."

The blood which had always been presented as a sample of solely Cooper's blood,
drawn from his body, actually contained DNA from 2 different people.

That meant either the original blood sample was compromised, such as by lab
error, or someone with access to the sample deliberately, illegally tampered
with it.

When Cooper's lawyers asked for a hearing on this discovery - that the blood
sample supporting his murder conviction was flawed - the judge denied any
further inquiry into the issue. Speaking from death row now, Cooper says that
evidence is critical.

"We now know that was not my blood, it had somebody else's DNA in it," he said.
"They put my blood in that container" for blood found at the crime scene, he
alleged, "and that's why you've got two DNAs in there. That's what I believe."

The issues with the blood evidence could raise reasonable doubts, but in the
new proceedings, the state emphasized other evidence that it said proved
Cooper's guilt, from cigarettes found in the Ryen family car to Josh Ryen's
testimony.

"HE SLIT MY THROAT"

Ryen, then an adult, spoke at the new hearings and offered a powerful
recollection of the crime.

"The 1st time I met Kevin Cooper, I was 8 years old and he slit my throat,"
Ryen said.

The judge did not allow Cooper's lawyers to cross-examine Ryen, who gave
unsworn testimony. The judge also denied fact-finding on the reliability of
Ryen's original memories, or the impact of police interviews when he was a
child.

The state insists Ryen's testimony, both from the original trial and as an
adult, speaks for itself. Cooper's lawyers say experts suggest Ryen's initial
account - of 3 white or Latino killers - is probably more accurate than a story
which shifted after interrogation.

When asked about Ryen's testimony, Cooper says "I don't blame him."

"He told the truth - he saw my picture on TV and said, 'No that's not him,'"
Cooper says, citing Josh's 1st reactions as an 8-year-old. "They manipulated
him... So I am not angry with him, I understand what they did to him."

The district court ultimately upheld Cooper's conviction. The Ninth Circuit
again reviewed the case in 2009, this time upholding the conviction.

That ruling featured an unusually blunt and vigorous dissent by 5 judges, which
not only said Cooper may be innocent - as he has highlighted - but also
suggested the lower court judge defied its 2004 order for new tests.

"There is no way to say this politely," the judges wrote. "The district court
failed to provide Cooper a fair hearing and flouted our direction" on testing.

On the critical questions regarding Josh Ryen's memories, the judges wrote that
police "misrepresented his recollections and gradually shaped his testimony so
that it was consistent with the prosecution's theory that there was only one
killer."

To be clear, no court has ever established that the state framed Cooper, but
the judges did call out California prosecutors for suspicious activity
regarding the spot of blood at the crime scene.

"The drop of blood has a history of being 'consumed' during testing," they
wrote, "and then inexplicably reappearing in different form for further testing
when such testing would prove useful to the prosecution."

Taken together, the judges concluded the evidence against Cooper was so weak,
it's "highly unlikely that Cooper would have been convicted" if prosecutors had
not illegally denied exculpatory evidence at trial.

It's a rare and detailed dissent - but in the end, more judges on the court
upheld Cooper's conviction.

That majority opinion stressed that the questions in Cooper's case are mostly
old, known, and have been extensively litigated; that the California Supreme
Court ruled the "volume and consistency of the evidence is overwhelming" for
Cooper's guilt; and that any shortcomings discovered did not put that in
serious doubt.

Cooper has no more court appeals, so barring intervention by Gov. Brown, he
will be executed.

"I AM INNOCENT"

Cooper says he is hopeful the public or Gov. Brown will focus on the evidence,
not no him.

"I'm not asking America as a whole, or any one person in particular, to believe
me. Forget what I say," he told NBC News. "I'm asking people to believe those
[judges]," he said.

When asked about the murder and his criminal record, Cooper says he did not
kill the Ryen family or enter their home, and that he didn't lie about his
earlier crimes.

"When I was convicted of burglary, I pled guilty to those," Cooper said,
"because I did them."

Asked about what he's learned through this process, Cooper said he thinks the
justice system discriminates based on money.

"The only people who are on death row are poor people," he says. "No matter
what their culture, or their skin color, or their religion, we're all poor."

Finally, when asked what he would want people to know about his case if he is
executed, Cooper was unequivocal.

"I am innocent," he said. "And it's not my execution, it's my murder."

(source: NBC news)