[Deathpenalty] death penalty news---ALA., LA., COLO., ARIZ., ID., CALIF.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Jan 21 15:28:28 CST 2016

Jan. 21

ALABAMA----impending execution

Governors almost never stop executions----For decades Alabama death row inmates
died in the state's electric chair and it was rare for a governor to commute a
sentence then or now

As he prepared himself for death in his final years, Alabama Gov. George
Wallace worried that he might be kept from heaven by 2 actions in his life:

One was his military service aboard a U.S. bomber during World War II tasked
with bombing Japanese cities -- an action that Wallace knew killed thousands of
civilians.

The other was his final decisions to allow executions by electric chair of
death row inmates when he had the power to stop it.

Gov. Fob James was known to almost always be in a foul mood on days when a
state execution was scheduled during his time as governor.

James always allowed the death sentence to be carried out until his very last
day in office in mid-January of 1999. It was then, as his final act as
governor, he commuted the death sentence of Judith Ann Neelley to life in
prison for the sexual assault and murder of a 13-year-old girl.

Even though Neelley was not facing execution soon, an aide said James did not
want to awake one day to read that a woman had been put to death, one he had
the power to save.

Gov. Don Siegelman, a former Alabama attorney general and strong pro-death
penalty advocate, required his staff to go through a rigorous review of each
death row inmate's case as they approached their execution. An aide said
Siegelman's central question was always "Is there anything that points to the
conclusion that the person didn't do it?"

Gov. Bob Riley, not long in office in 2003, became the 1st governor to walk the
hallway between cells along death row and visit the death chamber where he
watched a mocked execution. During that mock execution Riley kept looking at
the ceiling in the chamber. Later he said he wanted to burn into his mind the
last view that inmates brought there would have as they died.

During his walk along death row, inmates called out to Riley to have mercy on
them and commute their sentences.

He never did.

By the time his 2 terms were over in 2011, 25 inmates had been put to death but
friends and associates say that experience has weighed on him till this day.

Today, Gov. Robert Bentley is dealing with another execution in Alabama, the
state's 1st since 2013.

Barring intervention by the governor or even a more unlikely intervention by
the courts, inmate Christopher Brooks will be executed at Holman Prison at 6
p.m. Brooks was convicted in 1992 for the rape and beating death of Jo Deann
Campbell in Jefferson County.

In 2011 Bentley was about to start his first term and said he would not have a
problem carrying out the death penalty. As it turns out, all 6 executions
during his 5 years in office have been difficult, Bentley said.

"Have they weighed on me?" Bentley asked. "Yes they have. Very much so. And
they should. We are talking about a human life in each case."

In 1 case Bentley was so unsure about his decision to commute or allow the
execution to proceed that he cried as he wrestled with it. Then he prayed.

Then he allowed the execution to proceed.

Wallace, James, Siegelman, Riley, Bentley -- all pro death penalty governors
who have struggled to come to terms with the greatest power their office gave
them: the power over life and death.

In the 40 years since the U.S. Supreme Court lifted the moratorium on the death
penalty only James has commuted the death sentence of an inmate on Alabama's
death row. And he did it, an aide said, because he deeply believed the state
should not use its ultimate power to execute women.

An aide to Wallace in his later years said the former segregationist governor
was not troubled about the afterlife as it related to the role he played in
inciting racial turmoil.

"The governor had apologized for what he did when it came to all the bad
segregationist days and actions. He had sought forgiveness from those he had
hurt and felt he had been forgiven," an aide said.

Bentley, who before he became governor was a physician, said he will approach
today's pending execution the way he has approached all 6 previous executions.

"My people look at the trial, the evidence. They go over the crime looking for
any evidence the person didn't do it and to make sure the process was carried
out correctly" said Bentley. "Then they come to me, and we review it."

Bentley said the process is always a serious one because a life hangs in the
balance.

"I took an oath to uphold the law of the state and the law allows the death
penalty in certain cases," said Bentley. "Ultimately a jury makes a decision to
impose the death sentence and my duty is to carry out that sentence barring a
case of extraordinary circumstances."

*******************

Death row inmates in Alabama spend an average of 14 years awaiting execution

In 2011, Christopher Thomas Johnson was executed by the state of Alabama for
the murder of his 6-month old son.

Johnson's death came 6 years after the Atmore man was convicted of suffocating
the infant in an act meant to spite his wife. The short period of time from
Johnson's conviction to execution is not the norm, however. Statistics show
most inmates on Alabama's death row spend more than a decade awaiting
execution.

Data from the Alabama Department of Corrections shows the average death row
inmate in the state has been awaiting execution for 14 years. Alabama's average
is within the national norm. For prisoners who are put to death, the average
wait time in the U.S. is 16.5 years, up from 6r45 years in the mid-1980s.

By their nature, death penalty cases move slowly through the trial phase and
then trigger multiple appeals that can grind the process to a halt. In
Johnson's case, time on death row was short because he pleaded guilty to
capital murder, waived all appeals and requested to be put to death.

In most death row cases, the emphasis is on delaying or preventing the
execution and not speeding it up. Of the 187 inmates on Alabama's death row, 27
have been there for more than 20 years; 132 of them have been there more than
10 years.

Alabama inmate Arthur Lee Giles went to Alabama's death row in 1979 for the
murders of Wilene and Carl Nelson in Blount County. Another inmate, William
Bush, has been on death row since 1982 for the shooting death of Montgomery
convenience store clerk Larry Dominguez.

Death row inmate Christopher Brooks, who is scheduled to be executed Thursday
night at Holman Prison, was convicted in December 1992 for the rape and beating
death of Jo Deann Campbell in Jefferson County. He was 21 when he was sentenced
to death row. He is now 43.

His execution would be Alabama's 1st since 2013 and the 1st to use the state's
new 3-drug combination for lethal injections.

Nationally, 49.8 % of inmates executed since 2010 served more than 20 years; 17
% served more than 25 years; 5 inmates were killed after delays of more than 35
years. The vast majority of those sentenced to death are never executed.

Even death row inmates who are exonerated spend years awaiting execution before
they are cleared, according to the Innocence Project, which estimates the
average exoneration takes places after 14 years on death row.

The delay between conviction and execution has been questioned by courts
before. Last summer, a federal appeals court found that delays in California -
where more prisoners have died on death row than have been executed - did not
constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

************************

Vigils held statewide ahead of Christopher Brooks execution----Christopher
Brooks scheduled to be executed for the 1992 rape and murder of Jo Deann
Campbell

A number of vigils are set throughout the state on Thursday in connection with
the Alabama's 1st execution in 2 years.

Barring any last minute stays, death row inmate Christopher Eugene Brooks is
set to be executed by lethal injection at 6 p.m. in the execution chamber at
the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore. Brooks, now 43, was convicted in
the December 1992 rape and murder of a Homewood woman, 23-year-old Jo Deann
Campbell.

Investigators linked Brooks to the crime through DNA, fingerprints, and
Campbell's car and other items taken from her Homewood apartment, including a
credit card he had used. Her partially clothed body had been found under her
bed and she had been beaten with a barbell.

Brooks would be the 57th death row inmate executed in Alabama since executions
resumed in 1983 after an unofficial more than decade-long nationwide moratorium
ended.

Officials with Project Hope to Abolish the Death Penalty, an Alabama advocacy
group, say that there will be a number of Alabama vigils held throughout the
day:

In Mobile, there will be a prayer vigil from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. in front of the
Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception at Dauphin Street at Claiborne Street.

In Montgomery, there will be a vigil on the steps of the state capitol at 5:30
p.m.

There are 2 vigils scheduled in Birmingham. The 1st will be held from 11:30
a.m. to 1 p.m. at the corner of Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard and 8th Avenue
North across from the Jefferson County Court Building.

A 2nd prayer vigil will be held at 5:45 p.m. opposite the Martin Luther King
Jr. statue at Kelly Ingram Park, off 16th Street North and 6th Avenue North.
This vigil will take place whether there is a stay or not.

> Inside the prison, the inmates will show their respect and solidarity by
refraining from sports and wearing their dress whites in the yard when they
observe moments of silence and prayer on Wednesday and Thursday.

In France, Action of Christians for the Abolition of Torture and the Death
Penalty will be praying ahead of the execution.

And, the Birmingham Friends Meeting building, 4413 5th Avenue South, hangs a
black flag from an upstairs window facing the street on all execution dates in
the U.S. stating: TODAY WE MOURN THE DEATH OF A FELLOW HUMAN BEING.

(source for all al.com)

*********************

"I forgive him": Family of Jo Deann Campbell opens up before her killer's
execution

Brooks was convicted of raping, robbing and murdering Jo Deann Campbell in her
Homewood apartment in 1992. She was 23 years old.

Days before the scheduled execution, Jo Deann's older sister, Corinne Campbell,
received a Facebook message from a close friend of Jo Deann's.

The message contained an audio recording of Jo Deann's outgoing message on her
answering machine.

"Hi! It's that time of year again. I want to wish you and all a merry
Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a happy new year," the cheerful voice chimes.

"It brings 2 feelings," Corinne Campbell said. "It brings one of just like -
chilling, and one of just, wow! That's really her. And that was 23 years ago

. "It's difficult to describe. She's just full of life and loved people, and
people loved her."

The message would eventually become one piece of what Campbell calls
"overwhelming" evidence that Brooks killed her sister.

It happened on Dec. 30, 1992.

Brooks, who'd met Jo Deann Campbell when they worked at nearby summer camps,
paid her a visit, unannounced.

Corinne Campbell said Jo Deann and Brooks never had a romantic relationship,
and that Jo Deann was known for staying in touch with her friends from camp.

Jo Deann was working as a training manager at Chili's on Highway 280, when
Brooks and a friend, Robert Leeper, dropped in.

Campbell said Jo Deann agreed to let Brooks and Leeper spend the night at her
apartment in Homewood.

The next day, Jo Deann did not show up for work.

Campbell remembers the moment when police found her sister's body, bludgeoned,
naked from the waist down, and shoved under her bed.

"You just lose every ounce of everything, when policemen saw the body under the
bed and said, 'Everyone out,' Campbell said.

It took investigators a few days to find their suspects.

"Anyone that came in the house, I just - I just remember thinking, 'My gosh!
Did you do this? Do you know anything about this?' Campbell said. "I just kind
of remember just being real suspicious of everyone that came around, even
though they loved her and had nothing to do with it. It just was a kind of edgy
time."

Campbell said police used a credit card that Leeper and Brooks had taken from
Jo Deann to catch them in Columbus, GA, where they lived.

Campbell said Leeper and Brooks stole Jo Deann's car and several objects from
her apartment, including her answering machine. She said the 2 men had recorded
their own outgoing message, but when police flipped the tape over, they heard
Jo Deann's cheerful greeting.

Leeper was sentenced to time served in jail, and was released after pleading
guilty to using Campbell's credit card.

He was cleared of his murder charge, as investigators found no DNA evidence
linking him to Jo Deann's rape or killing.

While Brooks awaits his execution, his lawyers have sought multiple appeals and
stays, but none have been granted.

On Wednesday, Brooks's attorneys petitioned the U.S. Supreme Court, while the
Diocese of Birmingham asked Governor Robert Bentley to stay the execution.

"He has a right to do that, and if it's granted, it's granted. We'll live
through it," Campbell said. "We've lived through 23 years of missing (Jo
Deann), so we'll live through another however many years it is of whatever it
takes to end this."

When asked if she felt justice was being done, Campbell said she was not sure.

"I have to say that I've never been a big proponent of the death penalty. I
don't know that I ever will be, but it is what it is, and it's fair," Campbell
said.

Campbell said while she and her family will be in Atmore, near the Holman
Correctional Facility, where Brooks will be put to death, she is unsure whether
or not the family will witness the execution.

But Campbell knows what her last words to Brooks would be: "I forgive you."

"I think all of us would love to hear him say, 'I did this. I'm sorry.' But
that may not ever come, and that's probably reality," Campbell said. "So I
forgive him. I did that a long time ago. It's the only way I can live, to get
through every day, is just to forgive him."

(source: WIAT news)

LOUISIANA:

Louisiana serial killer connected to 7 murders dies while awaiting execution

A Louisiana serial killer linked to the gruesome murders of 7 women died
Thursday as he awaited execution, officials said.

Derrick Todd Lee's cause of death was not immediately released. The 47-year-old
was moved from the Louisiana State Penitentiary's death row to a hospital
Saturday for unknown medical reasons.

An autopsy will be performed by the West Feliciana coroner's office, Pam
Laborde, a spokeswoman for the Department of Public Safety and Corrections,
told the Advocate.

Lee - who was connected to 7 murders between 1998 and 2003 in the Baton Rouge
and Lafayette - appealed his death sentence earlier this year. The Louisiana
Supreme Court rejected his bid in September, putting him 1 step closer to
execution.

A date had not been set for the execution.

Lee was sentenced to death in 2004 for killing and mutilating LSU graduate
student Charlotte Murray Pace in her Baton Rouge home in 2002. The 22-year-old
was raped, bludgeoned and stabbed more than 80 times, officials said.

He received a separate life sentence for the 2002 killing of 21-year-old
Geralyn Barr DeSoto, of Addis.

"I've been prosecuting for over 40 years in the state of Louisiana, and some of
the most horrible things I've ever viewed ... were committed by Derrick Todd
Lee," said attorney John Sinquefield, who handled the death penalty phase in
the Pace case.

Authorities suspect Lee killed 5 other women - Trineisha Dene Colomb, Randi
Mebruer, Pam Kinamore, Carrie Lynn Yoder and Gina Wilson Green - between 1998
and 2003, but he was never tried in those cases.

The 6-year killing spree petrified Southern Louisiana, Sinquefield said.

"For a period of time, you had 600,000 people in South Louisiana that were
terrified. People afraid to go out of their homes, taking extra security
precautions," he told the newspaper.

(source: New York Daily News)

COLORADO:

Proposed legislation would reduce the number of jurors needed to vote in favor
of the death penalty

A tweak to Colorado's law could make it easier for juries to sentence a
defendant to death.

Sen. Kevin Lundberg, R-Berthoud, wants to change the standard for a jury from a
unanimous decision to just nine out of 12 jurors voting for the death penalty.

"I'm calling for a super majority," said Lundberg. "I believe that the standard
should be high, but it shouldn't be unattainably high."

Last year, 2 separate juries considered the death penalty and did not sentence
the defendant to death.

In August, a Denver jury found Dexter Lewis guilty of stabbing 5 to death at
Fero's Bar. That jury stopped the sentencing process during the 2nd of 3
phases, determining that what Lewis experienced in his life outweighed the
crime, resulting in a life sentence.

In July, an Arapahoe County jury of 12 found the Aurora theater shooter guilty
of multiple murder counts, but could not agree on sentencing the shooter to
death.

"I think it was 9 'firm,' 2 'on the fence' and 1 'absolute no,'" said one of
the Aurora theater jurors who was in favor of the death penalty.

That juror spoke with Denver7 reporter Marshall Zelinger on the condition that
her identity remained unknown.

"You get those 1 or 2 stubborn people and then everything just stops. For 1
person to be able to decide for everyone, it's kind of ridiculous," said the
juror. "That's the way it was. It wasn't a unanimous decision. It was, 'Hey,
we've been here for 4 months now, I kind of want to get my life back.' (Another
juror was) that way. (They were) stubborn in (their) vote, so let's end it and
go home."

Colorado law requires a unanimous decision from all 12 deliberating jurors to
sentence a defendant to death. This bill would change it so that the final vote
on life or death would only need nine in favor of death.

"If anything was deserving of the death penalty, I'd say that's it the Aurora
(theater) shooting," said Lundberg. "I think we need to come to terms with; are
we going to have a death penalty that functions in Colorado or are we just
going to put it in name only and not really have the death penalty?"

The Public Defender's Office, anti-death penalty attorneys and the Better
Priorities Initiative are all against the idea of reducing the number of jurors
needed to secure a death penalty verdict.

"If you need a unanimous jury to get a DUI conviction or for convicting someone
for stealing a candy bar, the bar should be absolutely just as high, if not
higher, for executing someone," Colorado's Public Defender Doug Wilson told
Denver7.

"Colorado law seems to have such a high standard, that it's unattainable," said
Lundberg.

Of the 31 states that have the death penalty, only 3 -- Alabama, Delaware and
Florida -- are the only states that do not require a unanimous jury decision.

In December, State Rep. Kim Ransom, R-Douglas County, told Denver7 that she was
going to propose a bill to allow district attorneys the opportunity to seat a
2nd jury for sentencing purposes only, if the 1st jury is hung when it comes to
determining life or death.

"When you're asking to seat a 2nd jury, without seeing all the evidence and
listening to all the testimonies, I don't think I would agree," said the Aurora
theater trial juror.

(source: thedenverchannel.com)

ARIZONA:

Death penalty sought for man accused of killing, burying Maricopa couple

The Pinal County Attorney's Office filed a death penalty notice Wednesday
against the man accused of killing a Maricopa couple and burying them on his
property in June 2015.

Jose Valenzuela, 36, was arrested after authorities located the bodies of
Micheal and Tina Careccia buried in a 6-foot grave on his property near Ralston
and Papago roads in Maricopa, not far from where their vehicle had been
previously found.

The couple had been missing for more than a week.

They allegedly left their home at 5 a.m. on June 22.

They told family members the night before that they had an appointment in the
East Valley and Tina Careccia was running an errand for her boss.

But they never made it.

Police received the 911 call at 7:16 p.m. that evening, from Michael's
17-year-old son.

The Associated Press reported in June that authorities served a search warrant
at Valenzuela's home, after he made some suspicious statements.

Valenzuela allegedly told investigators he and the couple had been acquainted
for the past 2 years and used methamphetamine together.

Authorities told the AP Valenzuela brought meth to the couple's home the day
before they went missing, Father's Day.

The couple went to Valenzuela's home later that day, and Valenzuela brandished
a weapon during a fight.

Babeu said authorities believe Valenzuela was high on meth at the time.

He was also found with a .22 caliber revolver.

According to a news release, County Attorney Lando Voyles filed a notice of
intent to seek the death penalty on Friday, Jan. 15, citing multiple
aggravating factors.

Among those factors is that Valenzuela allegedly committed the offense in an
"especially heinous, cruel, or depraved manner."

"I extend my deepest condolences to the Careccia family. I feel a personal
responsibility to keep violent offenders off of our streets and out of our
Pinal communities," Pinal County Attorney Lando Voyles said in the release.

(source: tucsonnewsnow.com)

IDAHO:

Prosecution set to seek death penalty

An Emmett man accused of stabbing his girlfriend to death in Nampa could face
the death penalty if convicted.

Canyon County prosecutors have filed a notice of their intent to seek the death
penalty against 23-year-old Brandon J. Shaw. He is accused of stabbing his
girlfriend to death in the street outside her home in November.

Shaw is accused of stabbing Chelsey Rae Malone on Nov. 18 with kitchen knives
at the home that the pair had shared in the 2700 block of Berlin Place in
Nampa.

Prosecutors filed the notice Jan. 7, citing aggravating circumstances that made
the alleged crime eligible for a sentence of death.

The notice stated the "murder was especially heinous, atrocious or cruel,
manifesting exceptional depravity" and "by the murder, or circumstances
surrounding its commission, the defendant exhibited utter disregard for human
life."

According to court documents, police say Shaw admitted to stabbing Malone after
he went to the house and used a credit card to open the door. He had a rifle in
hand, according to court documents.

Shaw told police in an interview that he attempted to shoot Malone while she
tried to call 911, but the gun didn't fire, according to court documents.
Instead, he said he chased her with the knives when she fled the house,
stabbing her multiple times.

Canyon County public defenders are representing Shaw, and his next court
appearance is set for 9 a.m. Friday. Shaw remains in custody at the Canyon
County jail.

Shaw is charged with 1st-degree murder with an enhancement for the use of a
deadly weapon, assault with the intent to commit a serious felony and another
enhancement for the use of a deadly weapon, and burglary.

Malone was a single mother of three children.

Of the 9 people currently sitting on Idaho's death row, 1 is from Canyon
County. David Card, 56, has been on death row since September 1989 after he was
convicted of murdering a Nampa couple in 1988.

Only 3 Idaho inmates have been executed since the state enacted a new death
penalty statute in 1977, according to the Idaho Department of Correction.

(source: Idaho Press-Tribune)

CALIFORNIA:

On Lethal Injections, What is the CDCR hiding?

In the latest chapter that is California's broken death penalty saga, the
California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) is poised to
repeat its mistakes of the past. Courts have already invalidated the CDCR's
execution protocols as constitutionally inadequate or otherwise illegal 4
times.

We are now in the midst of a public comment period on the CDCR's latest attempt
at creating a lawful lethal injection protocol. The comment period was
originally set to end this Friday, Jan. 22 at 5pm, culminating with a public
hearing in Sacramento where members of the public could provide oral testimony.

Last Friday, however, the CDCR extended the comment period to Feb. 22 in order
to comply with a Court order in an ACLU lawsuit to turn over or properly
justify withholding 79,000 documents related to lethal injection. Why did we
sue the CDCR? Because we believe it is in violation of the California Public
Records Act by failing to release to the public documents related to lethal
injection - documents that could help us and the general public evaluate the
proposed regulations.

My response: What is the CDCR hiding?

To make matters worse, what the CDCR has shared during this public comment
period has left us with more questions than answers and a deep-seated concern
that its plan is tantamount to human experimentation. Yes, it's as bad as it
sounds: 2 of the 4 drugs the CDCR wants to use to carry out lethal injections
are currently unavailable and the other 2 (amobartial and secobarbital) have
never been used in an execution. When it comes to something as serious as the
death penalty, CDCR should not be charting untested waters.

But it doesn't end there. We're still left to wonder how the CDCR will legally
obtain these drugs and why, out of all the drugs in the world, it chose these
2. In the end, the regulations are not based on sound medical and scientific
research.

Moreover, there is no evidence that the CDCR studied and learned from the
gruesome botched executions last year in states like Arizona and Oklahoma. So
it looks like the CDCR is setting us up to repeat the mistakes made in these
states and to do so under a veil of secrecy.

? And once again California is left with proposed regulations that are
fundamentally flawed and replete with legal, ethical, constitutional, and
logistical problems.

Take action

Join us in asking the state of California to hold itself to a higher standard
and put an end to this wasteful system that is broken from start to finish.
We've been down this path before, but together we can make sure this nightmare
doesn't become a reality.

(source: Ana Zamora is the Criminal Justice Policy Director at the ACLU of
Northern California----aclunc.org)

. ***********************

Man convicted in muder rape case; faces death penalty

A Bakersfield man on trial for murder and serial rape was convicted by a jury
Wednesday.

The jury found Michael Charles Brown guilty on a 1st degree murder charge and
enough of the sex crime charges to make Brown eligible for the death penalty.

Michael Charles Brown was arrested in 2009 in connection with the murder of
Ruby Lee Jackson-Merryweather in Bakersfield in 2000.

Police said he's also a serial rapist.

Brown was tried 24 felony charges in connection with alleged assaults on 4
different women.

He already served time for manslaughter for running over a man on Union Avenue
in 2003.

The penalty phase for his current rape and murder case starts next Wednesday
Jan. 27.

(source: kerngoldenempire.com)

************

Suspected Downey home-invasion killers could get death penalty

2 men and a 17-year-old boy were charged Wednesday with murder and other counts
for allegedly killing a Downey man during a weekend home-invasion robbery.

Paul Darvis Misikei, 18, Henry Willie Sao, 27, and Sakaopo Atanasio Folau, who
is 17 and charged as an adult, are scheduled to be arraigned Feb. 10 on 1 count
each of murder, home-invasion robbery and 1st-degree burglary with a person
present.

The murder charge includes the special circumstance allegation that the victim,
59-year-old Jim Rudometkin, was killed during the crime of robbery and
residential burglary.

Prosecutors are expected to decide later whether to seek the death penalty
against Misikei and Sao. Folau cannot face the death penalty because of his
age, and faces up to life in prison if convicted as charged.

An autopsy determined that Rudometkin died from blunt trauma - he had been
struck multiple times on the head and been "bound by ligature" - with heart
disease also a factor, according to Los Angeles County coroner's Assistant
Chief Ed Winter.

Authorities allege Misikei and Folau forced their way into the home, with Sao
entering shortly afterward.

A neighbor called police, who arrived at the home in the 10300 block of
Lesterford Avenue about 11:15 a.m. Sunday and were told that men were seen
running from the area, according to Downey police Sgt. Terry Goeckner.

A witness had seen 2 suspects contact the homeowner near the side door and
force him back inside, then observed a 3rd person enter the home.

The officers gave chase after arriving and apprehended Sao, a Long Beach
resident, and Misikei, an Anaheim resident, but the teenage suspect got away
and wasn't apprehended until Tuesday.

"Further information gathered during this investigation points to the victim
being specifically targeted by the suspects," Downey police Lt. Alex Irizabal
said. "We do not believe this was a random crime."

Neighbors said Rudometkin was a well-liked local Realtor who had lived alone
since his father's death.

*******************

Prosecutors may seek death penalty in Marina del Rey teen killing

A San Diego man was charged Wednesday with capital murder for allegedly gunning
down a teenage girl in the parking lot of a Marina del Rey shopping center in
what may have been a botched robbery involving marijuana.

Cameron Anthony Frazier, 21, was ordered to be held without bail while awaiting
arraignment Feb. 3 at the Airport Branch Courthouse in Los Angeles in
connection with the Jan. 6 death of 17-year-old Kristine Carman.

The murder charge includes the special circumstance allegation of murder during
the commission of a robbery, along with an allegation that Frazier personally
and intentionally discharged a handgun.

Prosecutors have yet to decide whether to seek the death penalty against
Frazier, who was arrested Monday by members of the FBI Fugitive Task Force
outside his residence in Vista.

Along with the murder count, Frazier is charged with 2 counts of attempted
2nd-degree robbery involving 2 other alleged victims.

The victim lived in Houston, Texas, and was visiting relatives in the Southland
at the time of the shooting, according to authorities.

The teen was shot to death during a robbery attempt while she sat in an SUV
with 2 other people at the Villa Marina Marketplace mall, according to Deputy
District Attorney Keri Modder.

Following the shooting, the person behind the wheel drove across the parking
lot, stopping in a parking space outside a Panda Express, where the girl was
ultimately found dead.

The suspect fled the location in a dark-colored SUV, possibly heading toward
the Marina (90) Freeway, police said.

Lacey Carman of Marina del Rey wrote on Facebook that Kristine was her sister.
She said she was the one driving the vehicle her sister was in, and that "my
sister was just murdered in front of me in a robbery gone wrong." Her sibling,
she wrote, was "beautiful smart and undeserving" of the fate that befell her.

"I pray that God is real and holding my sisters hand right now. I pray that you
never have to feel this pain or this self loathing," she said.

Police have repeatedly declined to comment on a CBS2 report that the shooting
may have been prompted by an alleged attempt by Lacey Carman's boyfriend to
sell 2 pounds of marijuana.

(source for both: mynewsla.com)