[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----PENN., VA., OKLA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Sep 30 14:04:23 CDT 2015

Sept. 30

PENNSYLVANIA:

7 convicts facing death penalty in Lehigh Valley cases

George Hitcho Jr. appealed the Northampton County jury's verdict that he be put
to death for shooting Patrolman Robert A. Lasso in the back of the head while
Lasso was being attacked by Hitcho's dogs. Lasso was preparing to use a stun
gun on the animals when Hitcho blasted him with a 12-gauge shotgun.

In Georgia, officials executed a woman for the 1st time in 70 years. Kelly
Renee Gissendaner was pronounced dead at 12:21 a.m. Wednesday. Gissendaner had
been sentenced to death for conspiring with a lover to killer her husband in
1997.

Hitcho and 6 other people from the Lehigh and Northampton counties face death
sentences in Pennsylvania.

Junius Bruno 45, was sentenced to death in March 2007 in the Lehigh County
Court of Common Pleas. Bruno killed 2 men during a botched robbery inside an
Allentown apartment in 2003.

George Ivan Lopez 56, and Edwin R. Romero 51, were sentenced to death in April
1996 in the Lehigh County Court of Common Pleas. The pair conspired with 2
other men to rob an Allentown landlord when he came to collect rent. They hit
David Bolansky over the head, hogtied him, strangled him to death with a towel,
wrapped his body in bedding and dumped him in a wooded area.

Harvey M. Robinson 40, was sentenced to death in November 1994 in the Lehigh
County Court of Common Pleas. Robinson is believed to be Allentown's 1st serial
killer. He raped and murdered 3 women. His 4th victim escaped before being
killed. When he returned to her home to kill her, police were waiting and
gunshots were exchanged. He was later arrested at an area hospital.

Raymond Solano, 36, was sentenced to death in May 2003 in the Lehigh County
Court of Common Pleas. Solano shot another man 6 times on an Allentown
basketball court in 2001 and kept firing as he and dozens of players and
onlookers fled.

Michael Ballard, 42, was sentenced to death in May 2011 in the Northampton
County Court of Common Pleas. Ballard stabbed his ex-girlfriend, her father,
grandfather and neighbor to death in 2010.

There are 11 death row inmates from Berks County, 3 from Monroe, 3 from
Schuylkill, 6 from Bucks, 7 from Montgomery and none from Carbon.

(source: Morning Call)

VIRGINIA:

Virginia inmate challenges 'secret' lethal injection drugs in attempt to halt
execution

Attorneys for a convicted serial killer facing the death penalty in Virginia
moved Wednesday to halt the 49-year-old's execution by challenging the state's
use of lethal injection drugs that it obtained from Texas.

The state plans to execute Alfredo Prieto on Thursday after Democratic Gov.
Terry McAuliffe rejected an attempt earlier this week to delay his death
sentence. The El Salvador native was on death row in California for raping and
murdering a 15-year-old girl when DNA evidence linked him to the 1988 slaying
of a young couple in Virginia. Authorities say he has been linked to several
other murders in both states but he was never charged because he had already
been sentenced to death.

Prieto's attorneys have asked the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District
of Virginia to stay the execution until officials disclose more information
about the pentobarbital it intends to use - including the name of the supplier,
tests confirming its sterility and potency and documents showing that the drugs
were properly handled, transported and stored.

Texas allows prison officials to shield where they get execution drugs and
Prieto's attorneys say Virginia officials have not provided that information.

The Associated Press filed a public records request for the names of the
manufacturers and the suppliers of the drugs, but the documents show only that
the drugs were provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Texas prisons spokesman Jason Clark told AP last week that the three vials of
pentobarbital given to Virginia were legally purchased from a compounding
pharmacy, which he declined to name. Virginia will substitute the pentobarbital
for midazolam that it intended to use because its supply of that sedative
expires Wednesday.

Prieto's attorneys, Rob Lee and Elizabeth Peiffer, said the lack of information
about the drugs puts the state at risk of carrying out a cruel and painful
execution.

It is unknown whether Virginia or Texas "know any pertinent information about
the compounding pharmacy, including its ability to make a sterile injectable
drug, its track record with regard to faulty drugs and adverse incidents, or
even the source of the raw ingredients it uses," they said in a statement. If
Virginia does possess this information, "it is keeping it secret. This lack of
transparency prevents the courts from assessing the constitutionality of VDOC's
execution procedure."

A spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of Corrections didn't immediately
respond to a request for comment.

Senior Assistant Attorney General Richard Vorhis said in a letter to Peiffer on
Tuesday that the drugs were legally acquired, tested and transported in an
appropriate manner. He noted that Texas has successfully used the same compound
in 24 executions over the past 2 years with no problems.

Pentobarbital is the 1st of 3 drugs that the state intends to use Thursday.

Mylan, the manufacturer of the rocuronium bromide - another drug that will be
used - said the company sent several letters to Virginia officials when it
learned about the drug's possible use and then demanded that the state return
the product when it received no response.

Spokeswoman Nina Devlin said in a statement that the company is contractually
restricting its distributors from distributing Mylan products, including
rocuronium bromide, for use in lethal injection or for any other use outside of
the approved labeling or applicable standards of care.

Prieto's attorneys in Virginia and California have also both asked the U.S.
Supreme Court to stay his execution so that they can prove that he's
intellectually disabled and therefore ineligible for the death penalty. A
federal appeals court in Virginia upheld his death sentence in June, saying
that he failed to prove that no reasonable juror would find him eligible for
execution and that "absent some new 'smoking gun,'" evidence of his ability to
handle everyday tasks was "at best inconclusive."

(source: Associated Press)

OKLAHOMA----impending execution

Oklahoma Death Row Inmate's Lawyer Speaks Out Hours Before His Execution

This afternoon, Oklahoma is slated to execute death row inmate Richard Glossip
after a protracted legal battle. Glossip, whose case has received widespread
media attention, was spared just hours before the state's scheduled execution
on September 16 after his lawyers claimed they had new evidence proving his
innocence.

On Monday, the Oklahoma Court of Appeals narrowly declined to halt Glossip's
execution. In a 3-2 decision, the court rejected Glossip's newest request for
an new hearing and an emergency stay of execution, ruling that the new evidence
presented by Glossip's attorneys "merely expands" on theories that were raised
in his earlier appeals.

The court was sharply divided. In dissenting opinions, the two judges who voted
in stay of the execution wrote that Glossip's original trial was "deeply
flawed" and argued that "the State has no interest in executing an actually
innocent man."

Glossip was convicted of ordering the grisly 1997 murder of Barry Van Treese,
the owner of a motel where Glossip worked. Prosecutors argued that Glossip
commissioned Justin Sneed, who also worked at the motel, to kill Van Treese
because Glossip was embezzling money from the motel and was concerned Van
Treese would find out. Sneed confessed to beating Van Treese to death with a
baseball bat and was sentenced to life in prison.

Glossip's attorneys said that Sneed implicated Glossip in exchange for a deal
to receive life in prison without parole instead of the death penalty. To date,
there is no physical evidence linking Glossip to the crime.

Glossip's attorneys presented 3 affidavits as new evidence after the stay was
granted on September 16. One was from Richard Barrett, Sneed's former drug
dealer, who claimed that Sneed was a methamphetamine addict who stole to
sustain his habit and that Glossip was a "good hearted guy" who did not appear
to "know anything about Justin Sneed stealing from motel rooms or cars in the
motel parking lots or the businesses nearby."

A 2nd affidavit was from Michael Scott, an inmate at the facility where Justin
Sneed was inncarcerated in 2006. Scott testified that he overheard Sneed
bragging about framing Glossip. "Among the inmates, it was common knowledge
that Justin Sneed lied and sold Richard Glossip up the river," Scott said.

The 3rd affidavit came from Joseph Tapley, who shared a cell with Sneed in 1997
at the Oklahoma County Jail. Tapley said that Sneed told him about the crime
but did not mention Glossip.

Glossip's execution is Oklahoma's 1st since the U.S. Supreme Court in June
upheld the state's controversial lethal injection drug formula. Glossip, the
lead plaintiff in the case, challenged the use of the sedative drug midazolam
in executions, arguing that it risked causing inmates excruciating pain.

ThinkProgress spoke with one of Glossip's attorneys, Don Knight, shortly before
Glossip's scheduled execution. Knight talked about Glossip's reaction to
Monday's ruling, next steps for the case, and the significance of the case for
proponents and detractors of the death penalty.

THINKPROGRESS: What was your reaction when you found out that Oklahoma Court of
Appeals rejected Glossip's request for a stay? Were you anticipating that
result?

KNIGHT: Well ... I don't ever want to pre-judge what any judge or jury does.
So, I'm always prepared for anything. Honestly we feel like we have given them
enough information to show that again, if those witnesses are to be believed,
we've got a pretty good chance to show that Richard Glossip is innocent. I
think that there is no way that a jury with all of the information that we now
have finds him guilty. So I think that we've given them enough information. I
was shocked and I was sad. No, I can't say I was shocked. Disappointed and sad
that the court ruled the way that it did.

What are the next steps?

We just submitted a document to [Governor Mary Fallin] asking her to grant us a
60 day stay. Another one. We're filing in the United States Supreme Court this
afternoon. We also filed a request with the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals
for a rehearing. We will continue to do everything we possibly can. Whatever
those steps may be, will be determined after each of these other steps have
been taken and completed. I can't tell you what's going to happen in the
future.

And how is Richard Glossip taking the news after the announcement yesterday?

It's tough. He's struggling greatly, of course. Trying to keep positive somehow
in the face of what looks like a very bad situation that's coming. So, he's
trying real hard to stay positive.

This case has gotten so much attention. Is this level of attention
unprecedented compared to other cases you have worked on? Has this case
received more attention than others?

I think this case has received a lot more attention than almost any other case.
I think it has resulted in a lot of the information that we have being able to
come forward, because people hear about it on the press and then they have
information and then they come forward. I wish everybody, I wish every single
defendant who is at Richard Glossip's stage had this kind of opportunity for
this much attention to be drawn to their case. And I'm sad that they don't.

Do you think generally the response is indicative of shifting attitudes about
the death penalty?

I hope so. I honestly believe that ... I would be hard-pressed to believe that
any less than 90 % of people don't want to kill an innocent man. I'm sure that
there are people out there who take some kind of perverse joy in doing so, but
we only asked for an opportunity to show that he was innocent. That's all we
asked for. Because I don't believe anybody wants to kill an innocent man. So I
don't know about the attitudes about the death penalty, but I don't think
anybody wants to kill an innocent man.

Do you think that this case [is a not a good case] for proponents of the death
penalty?

I think it's a very bad case for them. I think that this is a case that is
going to help end the death penalty because we know before we killed him that
he's innocent. A lot of cases you find out afterward, the DNA, oops, gee we
made a mistake on that one. Or like Cameron Todd Willingham down in Texas when
the forensic evidence came out afterward and changed the nature of the case,
but what do we know now beforehand? We know right now today that there is
probably a pretty darn good chance that this guy's innocent if he went to trial
tomorrow. And yet, we're going to kill him. And that's going to do a lot of
damage I think to the death penalty as a whole.

Is there anything else you would like to add? Anything else you would like
people to know?

Write, email. Do anything you possibly can to get peoples attention. Make this
a big deal. Don't let this happen in the shadows. Just don't let it happen in
the shadows. That's all.

(source: thinkprogress.org)

**********

"The Jury Never Heard It": Richard Glossip to Be Executed in Oklahoma Today
Despite New Evidence

Death row prisoner Richard Glossip is slated to be executed this afternoon. An
Oklahoma court recently rejected a request for a new hearing in the case. In
1997, Glossip was working as a manager at the Best Budget Inn in Oklahoma City
when his boss, Barry Van Treese, was murdered. A maintenance worker, Justin
Sneed, admitted he beat Van Treese to death with a baseball bat, but claimed
Glossip offered him money and job opportunities for the killing. The case
rested almost solely on Sneed's claims. No physical evidence ever tied Glossip
to the crime. In recent months, 2 men who served time in jail with Sneed have
come forward saying Sneed framed Glossip to avoid the death penalty himself. On
Monday, the court ruled this evidence "merely builds upon evidence previously
presented to the court," and rejected a stay of execution. More than 240,000
people have signed a petition to spare Glossip's life. We're joined on the
phone by 2 guests: Don Knight, 1 of the pro bono attorneys representing death
row inmate Richard Glossip, and Sister Helen Prejean, one of the world's most
well-known anti-death-penalty activists. As a Catholic nun, she began her
prison ministry over 30 years ago. She is the author of the best-selling book,
"Dead Man Walking: An Eyewitness Account of the Death Penalty."

JUAN GONZALEZ: Death row prisoner Richard Glossip is slated to be executed this
afternoon. An Oklahoma court recently rejected a request for a new hearing in
the case. In 1997, Glossip was working as a manager at the Best Budget Inn in
Oklahoma City when his boss, Barry Van Treese, was murdered. A maintenance
worker, Justin Sneed, admitted he beat Van Treese to death with a baseball bat,
but claimed Glossip offered him money and job opportunities for the killing.
The case rested almost solely on Sneed's claims. No physical evidence ever tied
Glossip to the crime.

In recent months, 2 men who served time in jail with Sneed have come forward
saying Sneed framed Glossip to avoid the death penalty himself. On Monday, the
court ruled this evidence, quote, "merely builds upon evidence previously
presented to the court," and it rejected a stay of execution. More than 240,000
people have signed a petition to spare Glossip's life.

AMY GOODMAN: For more, we're joined on the telephone by 2 guests: Don Knight,
one of the pro bono attorneys representing death row prisoner Richard Glossip,
and Sister Helen Prejean, one of the world's most well-known anti-death-penalty
activists. As a Catholic nun, she began her prison ministry over 30 years ago.
She's the author of the best-selling book, Dead Man Walking: An Eyewitness
Account of the Death Penalty.

Don Knight, let's start with you. You're both in Oklahoma about to head over to
the prison, where Richard Glossip is right now scheduled to die 3:00 p.m.
Oklahoma time. Can you tell us what the latest is, what you have filed to try
to prevent his execution and why you are contending he's an innocent man?

DON KNIGHT: Well, thank you, Amy and Juan, for having us on your program this
morning. This is obviously a very, very important issue for everyone today.

We have filed 2 matters that are pending right now. One is with the governor
here, Mary Fallin. We have once again asked her for a 60-day stay of execution,
so that we can have an opportunity to get back in front of the clemency board
and ask once again for clemency for Richard Glossip, with our new evidence as
the basis for the clemency claim.

The second issue is pending in front of the United States Supreme Court this
morning on a writ asking the court to grant a stay and give us an opportunity
for a hearing. The basis for our claim in front of the Supreme Court is, first
off, that Richard Glossip is innocent. There just doesn't seem to be any doubt,
and all of the doubt that has ever been in this case seems to be disappearing
very quickly, because we have really uncovered evidence that Justin Sneed is
just simply categorically unreliable. He remains so today. In a recent
interview that he gave, he lied several times in the interview, made up new
facts just simply to fit whatever narrative he had going on that particular
day. This was an interview with a woman reporter from a magazine called The
Frontier. But his testimony has been pretty unreliable ever since the first
time he ever opened his mouth with the police. He told 4 different stories just
in 1 interview way back in 1997. So our basis is the fact that the Eighth
Amendment to the Constitution requires reliability and fairness in capital
cases. And in this particular case, there is simply no reliability. And if he
is to be executed today, there is simply no fairness in the Eighth Amendment.

JUAN GONZALEZ: And, Don Knight, what are the key - the key aspects of the new
evidence that you are claiming needs to be reviewed?

DON KNIGHT: Well, we have uncovered information, and this is new evidence from
three individuals. The first one, just sort of in time, is the man who was
selling Justin Sneed drugs. Justin Sneed was portrayed as being somebody who
was simply a drifter, sort of a loner, but he didn't have a real drug problem,
he just occasionally used drugs, kind of a lazy guy hanging around the motel,
and he was somehow subject to the whims of Mr. Glossip, who had some control
over him. The drug dealer will testify, actually, that Justin Sneed was your
basic meth head. He was constantly using the drug, using it intravenously,
stealing from cars, stealing from motel rooms. And that's exactly what happened
here. He went into the motel room and beat Barry Van Treese to death in an
attempt to get his car key so that he could take money from the car. He did not
need to be, nor was he directed to do so by Richard Glossip.

The 2nd new evidence, new witness that we found, was a man who spent time with
Justin Sneed shortly after Justin Sneed was arrested in 1997. He was his
cellmate in the county jail. And that individual will testify that Mr. Sneed
told him all about the crime on many occasions and never once mentioned that it
was a murder for hire, never once mentioned Richard Glossip's name. He just
basically said he did for the money, which is of course what we know that he
now did.

The 3rd witness will testify that after the second trial, while he was in the
prison with Mr. Sneed, he overheard Mr. Sneed telling a very close friend of
Mr. Sneed, in fact, laughing about the fact that he had set Richard Glossip up
so that Sneed could get a life sentence and Glossip was going to die.

AMY GOODMAN: I'd like to play a short clip from the interrogation video of the
key witness against Richard Glossip, Justin Sneed. The jury was not shown the
video. The video was taken directly after his arrest for the murder of Barry
Van Treese. Sneed talks about the amount of money he received and how it was
divided. Listen carefully, as the audio quality isn't very good.

JUSTIN SNEED: And then we went and got the money out of the car, and went and
took it back to my room, so I guess like his girlfriend wouldn't know nothing
or nothing like that. And we split the money.

INTERROGATOR: How much did - money did you get?

JUSTIN SNEED: Uh, like about $1,900. I mean, he told me that the guy was
sitting on like $7,000, but it only come out to being a little less than 5, I
think.

AMY GOODMAN: That was Justin Sneed, 19 years old at the time, being
interrogated for the murder of Barry Van Treese. Now, last year, Justin Sneed's
daughter, O'Ryan Justine Sneed, wrote a letter to the Oklahoma Pardon and
Parole Board seeking clemency for Glossip and asserting his innocence. She also
said her father had spoken to her of recanting his testimony. She wrote, "I
strongly believe [Glossip] is an innocent man sitting on death row. ... For a
couple of years now, my father has been talking to me about recanting his
original testimony. But has been afraid to act upon it, in fear of being
charged with the Death Penalty ... His fear of recanting, but guilt about not
doing so, makes it obvious that information he is sitting on would exonerate
Mr. Glossip." So, this whole issue of this teenager who was charged, at the
time being told by the police detectives that he would not be put to death if
he implicated Glossip, is that right?

DON KNIGHT: That's basically exactly what happened here, Amy. You know, they
didn't come right out and use those terms, but everything that they said
basically pointed to him making sure that he implicated Glossip. The name
Richard Glossip was brought up by the police, driven home by the police. And
after Mr. Sneed gave a couple of versions that included Mr. Glossip and the
police liked the one, the final one that he gave, they told him that he had
basically helped himself out a great deal. We know from the first witness that
we have found, after this matter took place, the one when he was in county
jail, that witness told us that Justin Sneed was terrified of the death
penalty, and he would do anything to get out of the death penalty. And it
appears that that's exactly what he's done.

JUAN GONZALEZ: And have you been able to talk to Glossip in the last - in the
last day or 2? Give us a sense of his state of mind right now.

DON KNIGHT: I know that Sister Helen is on the line with us, and I think she's
spoken to him more recently than I have, and I think I'll turn it over to her,
if that's OK with you.

JUAN GONZALEZ: That's fine. Sister Helen Prejean?

SISTER HELEN PREJEAN: Yes, I've spoken to Richard twice yesterday. And Richard
is in this place. See, he's come close to death 3 times, and each time he came
through unscathed. And his big question to me always is, "Sister Helen, what do
you think is going to happen?" And up to now, to this point, I just said, "You
are not going to die, Richard. And look at all the forces being assembled for
you, all the people speaking for you, all the support." But recently when we
talked, I knew that I had to say to him, "Richard, you're like in the
whitewater rapids right now in your boat, and the waterfall is right there. You
can hear it. And I'm praying for you, and you've got to position yourself to
either go over the waterfall, which means the state is actually going to kill
you for this, or to live." And as he made in his own statement, which was read
on the Dr. Phil show by Susan Sarandon, "I don't want to be a martyr, and I
don't want to die, but if in fact this attention to my case and all that could
go wrong in this and that you could actually put an innocent man to death, if
it could bring attention in this country to all the people going through this
and it could help end the death penalty for everyone, then my life will not be
in vain." These are not just words he says off the top of his head. It's really
within his being. And I think Richard is poised, at this point, to live or die.

I will hardly be able to believe it if he dies. The system in our criminal
justice system, and particularly the administration of the death penalty, is so
corrupt, it is so messed up. And just what Don Knight was just saying about
Justin Sneed being terrified of death, that's a tactic prosecutors use all the
time to get people to confess or to buy their version of the story. And the
reason that Richard Glossip is even facing death today at 3:00 is because the
prosecutor, Bob Macy, got 54 death penalties. Every time he did, he cut a notch
on his belt. And Richard had miserable defense. He almost had no defense. And
there was no way investigation would be done. These witnesses that Don Knight
and his stalwart team have cobbled together now, it was not done. The jury
never heard it. So the jury only bought the version of what had happened from
the prosecutor. And that's the soil in which this tree produces such terrible
fruit of people actually going to their death on the word, almost completely,
of another man who has been shown to be a serious meth addict and who stole all
the time. You don't need to introduce Richard Glossip to be the mastermind.
Justin Sneed was going in - sometimes, the drug dealer said, he would bring him
coins. He stole from vending machines. Sometimes he brought him food stamps, a
stereo from a car, because he was hooked on drugs. Why introduce Richard into
the scenario at all, that he had to be the mastermind? And why? Because the 1
aggravating circumstance the prosecutor used to get the death penalty was
murder for hire. That qualifies for the death penalty. And Richard Glossip is
staring down death at 3:00 today because of that. That's how broken this thing
is.

JUAN GONZALEZ: Well, Sister Helen, you talk about the injustice of the death
penalty for so many others. Well, this last week, Pope Francis, when he was
speaking to Congress, called for the abolition of the death penalty. This is
what he said.

POPE FRANCIS: The Golden Rule also reminds us of our responsibility to protect
and defend human life at every stage of its development. This conviction has
led me, from the beginning of my ministry, to advocate at different levels the
global abolition of the death penalty. And I am convinced that this way is the
best, since every life is sacred, every human person is endowed with an
inalienable dignity, and society can only benefit from the rehabilitation of
those convicted of crimes. Recently, my brother bishops here in the United
States renewed their call for the abolition of death penalty. Not only - not
only do I support them, but I also offer encouragement to all those who are
convinced that a just and necessary punishment must never exclude the dimension
of hope and the goal of rehabilitation.

JUAN GONZALEZ: That was Pope Francis speaking to Congress last week. Sister
Helen Prejean, your sense of the impact of the pope's words and whether this is
going to have some kind of effect in terms of achieving the abolition of the
death penalty here in the United States?

SISTER HELEN PREJEAN: Well, a lot of people heard those words - and words that
speak truth to us and call us to the more noble parts of ourselves, that
protection of life, not just of innocent life - and that was a big surprise,
because it was sustained applause when the pope said, you know, "protect life
at every stage." And I think everybody thought they knew what was coming next,
and it would have to do with innocent life. But he held up the guilty. He held
up people who have done terrible crimes, that they have dignity, and that - so
the global abolition of the death penalty. And so, the words are out there, and
the words reach some hearts. Some hearts seal off the words and refuse to let
them come in.

But I knew that Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy was sitting there. He's
the 5th vote on the Supreme Court we need, which could abolish the death
penalty. And the Richard Glossip case could be the case that just shows exactly
how broken this thing is. When you let the states, like Oklahoma, be the
administers of the death penalty, all the politics, all the culture comes in,
so you get a Bob Macy, and you get people running for political office - off of
the deaths of people. And so, I can only hope the pope's words, spoken in such
truth to us, will have an effect on hearts.

AMY GOODMAN: Sister Helen Prejean, can you say what's going to happen today?
You have walked many men to death row. What will happen when you get in your
car right now, with Don Knight, and head over to the prison? What is the
schedule of the day?

SISTER HELEN PREJEAN: We get to the prison around 11:00 or a little bit before
11:00, because Don and another one of the lawyers are going to go be visiting
with Richard from 11:00 to 1:00. I, with the other witnesses, will be put into
a van and brought back to wait in a room, because we are the ones who are going
to be witnesses for Richard. And they're going to have a coffee pot going.
They're going to be polite to us. And they're going to say, "Do you need
anything? Here is everything you need," as the Van Treeses are going to be
brought to a room to wait. This is the moment of justice they???ve been
promised.

AMY GOODMAN: The murder victim's family.

SISTER HELEN PREJEAN: The murder victim's family, right. And just the last time
when Richard got a stay and they brought us back to the van, I looked across
the way, and there was the Van Treese family being put into a van to be taken
out of the prison. Look what happens to the victims' families. They wait for
this moment of justice. And then - and then they're led out: "Sorry, not today.
You'll get your justice maybe in two weeks." And it's unlike anything I know to
describe to you.

I know what the lawyers have filed with the Supreme Court. I know of Justice
Breyer's strong dissent when they did the lethal injection thing on the Glossip
case. I can only hope that they are persuaded by the arguments and don't just
fall back behind procedure and say, "This should have been filed much sooner,"
which is what the Court of Criminal Appeals did in Oklahoma: "Procedure bars
you from raising these issues. We've already looked at these issues," which
meant they were impervious to look at the new information and the new facts,
because procedure bars you from looking. I only hope that this court will have
the heart and conscience to widen it, to see that to kill a human being,
especially an innocent human being, is cruelty, it is torture, and it is
against our noblest beliefs.

It's like putting your boat on a wave, and you ride it, to let the time fill up
as we're waiting, as I'm waiting. They have a bathroom in that place, where you
can go and have a little privacy. And I plan to retreat to that little place of
privacy as often as I can.

AMY GOODMAN: Don Knight, let me end with you. Of course, I'm sure many people
are asking, how are you presenting innocence at the last possible minute?

DON KNIGHT: Well, Justin Sneed is the key to this whole case. He has always
been the key to this whole case. The truth of the matter is, he was a
19-year-old, meth-addicted person with a criminal history. He is not the kind
of person that you would have ever counted on to do anything. If you would have
asked him to take some money to the bank for you, you would know categorically
that he would not get that money to the bank, that he would use it for himself.
He was not a reliable person when he was 19. He is still not reliable, in the
latest interview that he gave just within the last 2 weeks. It's disgusting,
really, to think that we are going to - today, maybe - kill a man based upon
the word of someone that no one would count on under any circumstances. And
that's what we're facing today, Amy.

AMY GOODMAN: I want to thank you both for being with us. Don Knight, one of
Richard Glossip's pro bono attorneys, he'll be with Richard Glossip today, has
also appealed the case to the Supreme Court in this last minute. Sister Helen
Prejean, author of Dead Man Walking, will be accompanying Richard Glossip on
whatever it is that happens today. And, of course, we'll keep you updated, even
after this broadcast, at democracynow.org.

(source: democracynow.org)

****************

Richard Glossip and the End of the Death Penalty

If the Supreme Court abolishes the death penalty soon, which Justice Antonin
Scalia said, last week, that he "wouldn't be surprised" to see, the case of
Richard Glossip is likely to be a significant point of reference in accounts of
how it happened.

The state of Oklahoma is scheduled to execute Glossip by lethal injection this
afternoon. He was sentenced to death for a murder that, the record in the case
makes clear, he did not commit. He had never been arrested before. He had no
history of violence. His conviction was based on the testimony of the murderer,
a man named Justin Sneed, who confessed to using a baseball bat to bludgeon the
victim to death. Sneed claimed that Glossip had pressed him to commit the
murder and, in exchange for his testimony against Glossip, which was coaxed by
a police interrogator, he got a sentence of life in prison rather than death.

"I'm trying to stop them from killing me by any method," Glossip told The
Intercept this summer, "because of the fact that I'm innocent."

Glossip was twice convicted and sentenced to execution. The Oklahoma Court of
Criminal Appeals overturned the first conviction, holding that his lawyer's
"conduct was so ineffective that we have no confidence that a reliable
adversarial proceeding took place." After that ruling, the prosecution
stipulated that no physical evidence linked Glossip to the crime scene. He was
convicted again based largely on Sneed's testimony, although his account of
Glossip's alleged involvement diverged from what he said at the 1st trial,
which diverged from his original confession to police. According to Glossip's
lawyers, Sneed has given 8 "very different" accounts.

Last January, the Supreme Court stayed Glossip's execution so that it could
hear a challenge that he and other death-row inmates had made to the use of the
drug midazolam as the anesthetic in a 3-drug lethal-injection procedure, before
the other drugs were administered to paralyze the inmate and then to stop his
heart. The challenge came after Oklahoma's gruesome execution of an inmate in
2014, when the state used midazolam and it failed to fully anesthetize him,
causing him searing pain.

3 months ago, at the end of the recent Court term, the Justices upheld the use
of the drug by 5-4. They said that Glossip's lawyers had not shown that the
state had a better option than midazolam or that the use of midazolam with the
other drugs was "sure or very likely to result in needless suffering."

The 1st reason that the Glossip case is likely to be a point of reference is
the widely commented-on dissent by Justice Stephen Breyer, who, "rather than
try to patch up the death penalty's legal wounds one at a time," devoted 41
pages to arguing "that the death penalty violates the Eighth Amendment" - that
is, the constitutional clause prohibiting the infliction of "cruel and unusual
punishments." Breyer's dissent laid out his reasons: "(1) serious
unreliability, (2) arbitrariness in application, and (3) unconscionably long
delays that undermine the death penalty's penological purpose. Perhaps as a
result, (4) most places within the United States have abandoned its use."

The Glossip case doesn't illustrate all of these reasons, but it provides a
case study in the unreliability of the application of the death sentence.
Glossip's current lawyers have raised serious doubts about his guilt, which
make his conviction dubious and his death sentence unjust. His counsel in his
1st trial was reprehensibly bad. His counsel in his 2nd trial exceeded the very
low standard for ineffective counsel, but did a poor cross-examination of
Sneed, the main witness against Glossip. From the decision to charge Glossip
with a capital crime to some unsavory tactical moves in the second trial, the
prosecution was unquestionably overzealous and may have crossed the line into
misconduct.

Cases like Glossip's are all too common. In 2005, the Center on Wrongful
Convictions, at Northwestern, reported that 51 of the 111 people exonerated of
capital crimes since the death penalty was reinstated, in the 1970s, "were
sentenced to death based in whole or part on the testimony of witnesses with
incentives to lie," including some who were "promised leniency in their own
cases," as Sneed was in this one.

The 2nd reason that this case is likely to be a point of reference in any
narrative of death-penalty abolition is the way that it has played out in an
Oklahoma state court this month. After his loss at the Supreme Court, Glossip
was scheduled to be executed on September 16th, but his lawyers asked the
Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals for a stay of execution so that they could
put together a case based on newly obtained accounts from 2 witnesses, which,
they said, destroyed the credibility of the testimony implicating Glossip. The
court granted a stay "in order for this court to give fair consideration to the
materials included," but, on Monday, decided not to let a state trial court
consider the new evidence. It ended the stay, so the state can execute Glossip
today, unless the Supreme Court intervenes.

The opinion for the majority in the state appeals-court decision is technical,
and this sentence is key: "The claims do not fall within the guidelines of the
post-conviction procedure act allowing this Court to consider the merits or
grant relief." The opinion said, basically, that the new evidence wasn't new
and that Glossip's lawyers were raising issues already raised and rejected on a
previous appeal. A dissent pointed out that the failure to review his claims
could be a miscarriage of justice: Glossip is about to be executed and "the
State has no interest in executing an actually innocent man."

The ruling has nothing to do with the merits of the case. It has everything to
do with the state's attempt to bring death-penalty cases to an end because of
"the legal principle of finality of judgment," as the majority opinion put it -
even if that means denying a hearing that might exonerate an innocent man. The
Supreme Court has favored this kind of impatience for decades. It has
repeatedly put an end to federal cases, even when a federal appeals court had
good reasons for not wanting to end a case - not wanting to permit a state to
execute a death-row inmate who might be innocent or who might have been
wrongfully sentenced to death.

The Breyer dissent this summer laid out why there are often strong reasons to
address the merits of these cases:

Researchers have calculated that courts (or State Governors) are 130 times more
likely to exonerate a defendant where a death sentence is at issue. They are 9
times more likely to exonerate where a capital murder, rather than a noncapital
murder, is at issue.

Why is that so? To some degree, it must be because the law that governs capital
cases is more complex. To some degree, it must reflect the fact that courts
scrutinize capital cases more closely. But, to some degree, it likely also
reflects a greater likelihood of an initial wrongful conviction. How could that
be so? In the view of researchers who have conducted these studies, it could be
so because the crimes at issue in capital cases are typically horrendous
murders, and thus accompanied by intense community pressure on police,
prosecutors, and jurors to secure a conviction. This pressure creates a greater
likelihood of convicting the wrong person.

Breyer's dissent riled Scalia. He responded with a concurrence that said that
Breyer's "argument is full of internal contradictions and (it must be said)
gobbledy-gook." In a more sober mood, during a speech last week at Rhodes
College, in Tennessee, Scalia said that there are 4 votes on the Supreme Court
to rule the death penalty unconstitutional - those of the moderate liberals. In
the term that opens next week, 4 of the 34 cases the Justices have said, so
far, that they will review deal with the death penalty. As Rory Little of the
University of California's Hastings College of Law wrote on Scotusblog, this
could be "the biggest Eighth Amendment term in 40 years."

In the wake of Pope Francis's visit, Robert J. Smith, who is a visiting scholar
at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law, suggested that there might
be a 5th vote to abolish capital punishment. In Slate, he compared the Pope's
call for "global abolition of the death penalty," based on the values of
dignity and hope, with themes of recent Supreme Court rulings that have limited
the application of the death penalty and other excessive punishment. He quoted
opinions of Justice Anthony Kennedy, who was in the audience when the Pope
addressed Congress.

Smith didn't predict that Kennedy will vote to rule that the death penalty is
unconstitutional, but he quoted a recent opinion of the Justice, in which he
wrote, "The Eighth Amendment's protection of dignity reflects the Nation we
have been, the Nation we are, and the Nation we aspire to be." That's the kind
of Kennedy homily that makes Scalia apoplectic, but it's in the spirit of the
Breyer dissent. It's also the kind of statement that can inspire many
Americans, including state-court judges far from Washington, D.C.

A 2nd dissent from Monday's state-court ruling in Oklahoma, allowing the state
to execute Glossip, quoted from the same Kennedy opinion: "The death penalty is
the gravest sentence our society may impose." The state court, the dissent
said, should have granted Glossip's request for a new evidentiary hearing to
investigate his claim of innocence. Why? Because - in Kennedy's words again -
those who face "that most severe sanction must have a fair opportunity to show
that the Constitution prohibits their execution."

(source: The New Yorker)

*******************

Pope urges Oklahoma governor to stop execution of man who claims innocence

Oklahoma death row inmate Richard Glossip is set to be executed Wednesday
afternoon. The Pope urged Oklahoma's governor to halt the execution of an
inmate set to die Wednesday.

A letter from Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano, Pope Francis' diplomatic
representative to the U.S., requested that Gov. Mary Fallin commute the death
sentence of inmate Richard Glossip.

The note, dated Sept. 19 was released by the state Wednesday, just hours before
Glossip - who has long claimed he is innocent in the 1997 motel killing - is
set to die.

Capital punishment should only be used in "cases of absolute necessity" and
such instances are "very rare" today, Vigano wrote, invoking the words of Pope
John Paul II.

Commuting Glossip's sentence "would give clearer witness to the value and
dignity of every person's life," the Catholic leader wrote.

"May God guide your prayerful consideration of this request by pope Francis for
what I believe would be an admirable and just act of clemency," he said in the
note.

Pope Francis urged Oklahoma's governor to halt the execution in a newly
released letter dated Sept. 19.

A spokesman for Fallin said the governor does not have the authority to grant a
commutation.

Vigano sent a similar letter Tuesday to officials in Georgia, but that didn't
stop the execution of Kelly Renee Gissendaner.

Glossip is scheduled to be executed Wednesday afternoon at the Oklahoma State
Penitentiary in McAlester, despite his claim of innocence. His lawyers have
requested a stay of execution with the U.S. Supreme Court.

Glossip was convicted of ordering the beating death of an Oklahoma City motel
owner. But Glossip has long claimed that he was framed by the actual killer,
Justin Sneed, who is serving a life sentence. Sneed was the state's key witness
against Glossip in 2 separate trials.

Just hours before Glossip was originally to be put to death on Sept. 16, the
state's highest criminal court granted a 2-week reprieve to investigative new
evidence - including another inmate's claim that he overheard Sneed admit to
framing Glossip.

The note was penned by Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano, Pope Francis' diplomatic
representative to the U.S.

But in a 3-2 decision earlier this week, the same court denied Glossip's
request for an evidentiary hearing and emergency stay of execution, paving the
way for his execution to proceed.

Unless a court halts the execution, it will be the 1st in Oklahoma since the
U.S. Supreme Court in June upheld the state's three-drug lethal injection
formula that includes the sedative midazolam. Glossip and other death row
inmates had argued that the sedative did not adequately render an inmate
unconscious before the lethal drugs were administered.

Oklahoma first used the drug last year in the execution of Clayton Lockett, who
writhed on the gurney, moaned and clenched his teeth for several minutes before
prison officials tried to halt the process. He died 43 minutes after it was
first injected.

(source: New York Daily News)

Fallin receives letter on behalf of Pope Francis 'to commute' Glossip execution

On behalf of Pope Francis, Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano sent a letter to Gov.
Mary Fallin in regard to the planned execution of Richard Glossip.

The letter asked Fallin 'to commute' Glossip's death sentence.

Despite the request, Fallin does not have the legal authority to move the
execution, said Alex Weintz, communications director for Fallin.

Glossip is scheduled to be executed Wednesday afternoon.

(source: KOCO news)