Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Sep 14 16:03:38 CDT 2015

Sept. 14

IRAN:

Major human rights concerns exist in Iran - UN High Commissioner

The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights says he is concerned by
the number of executions being carried out in Iran.

"Accelerated use of the death penalty, concerns about the right to a fair
trial, and the continued detention of journalists, bloggers and human rights
defenders remain a major cause for concern," UN High Commissioner for Human
Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said in a statement at the opening of the Human
Rights Council session in Geneva on Monday, September 14.

"I urge Iran to make commensurate progress in human rights," he said.

A statement by the High Commissioner's office on August 5 said: "Iran has
reportedly executed more than 600 individuals so far this year. Last year, at
least 753 people were executed in the country."

More than 2,000 people have been executed in Iran since Hassan Rouhani took
office.

(source: NCR-Iran)

INDONESIA:

Lindsay Sandiford: Redcar death row gran's execution put back until 'at least'
the end of the year

A Redcar gran on death row in Bali for smuggling drugs has had her date of
execution put back until "at least" the end of the year.

The 59-year-old has been sentenced to death after she was caught smuggling
large quantities of cocaine.

Despite claiming she was forced into trafficking the drugs due to threats
against her son's safety, Mrs Sandiford was told she was scheduled to be
executed on September 21.

Although this was later put back until "at least" the end of the year, the
grandmother's family raced out to see her and took her 2-year-old grandaughter
Ayla, who she'd never met, with them.

After spending time with the youngster, Mrs Sandiford told the Mail on Sunday:
"I know this may be the 1st and last time I ever hold my granddaughter."

Ayla was born 7 months after Mrs Sandiford was arrested in Bali in May 2012 and
had never before met her grandmother.

The 2 met up a number of times last week, and a beaming Mrs Sandiford revealed
how the youngster was cuddling and kissing her after being introduced. Lindsay
Sandiford covers her face during a press conference in Kuta, Bali Lindsay
Sandiford covers her face during a press conference in Kuta, Bali

After being given a fairy costume by her grandmother, Ayla then walked around
the room blowing kisses at prison guards.

Mrs Sandiford said: "I'm so glad I had the chance to meet her. Ayla is the most
important thing in my life and no one can take this away from me now. She's an
absolute delight - she's the sweetest baby I've ever met."

The 2 were pictures sitting on the floor playing with dolls, after Ayla's
father Lewis, Mrs Sandiford's son, arrived at the jail with the youngster.

Following the news of her stay of execution, Mrs Sandiford has re-launched a
campaign to raise the 25,000 pounds she needs to fund an appeal against her
death penalty verdict.

She told the Mail on Sunday: "I'm just grateful I've met Ayla. It's hard to
come to terms with the fact I might not see her again and she might not
remember me, but I'm so glad I got to spend time with her."

The Briton has always claimed she was forced to take a suitcase containing
10.5lbs of cocaine into Bali from Bangkok by a criminal syndicate headed by a
British mobester who was threatening the life of her son.

(source: gazettelive.co.uk)