[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----KAN., OKLA., NEB., CALIF., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Sep 8 09:27:16 CDT 2015

Sept. 8

KANSAS:

Amman Reu-El files pleading claiming he had ineffective assistance of counsel
in capital murder retrial----No date scheduled to hear his filing

Claiming he received ineffective assistance from the 2 attorneys appointed to
defend him in the retrial of his death penalty case, King Phillip Amman Reu-El
is asking a Shawnee County District Court judge to conduct an evidentiary
hearing.

Besides ineffective assistance of counsel, Amman Reu-El, 42, is asking District
Court Judge Richard Anderson to void his 2 consecutive sentences and his
convictions based on his no-contest pleas.

In effect, Amman Reu-El is starting the process to seek a 3rd trial based on an
allegation he received ineffectiveness of counsel, which got his case into
court for a retrial starting in 2013.

10 years ago Tuesday, a jury convicted him of capital murder and other charges
in the killings of 2 women in Topeka. Those convictions were overturned, and
the case was sent back for retrial.

During his 2nd trial, Amman Reu-El's defense attorneys were Paul Oller, of
Hays, and John Val Wachtel, of Wichita. Both have worked on multiple death
penalty cases.

Amman Reu-El said his no-contest plea was the result of advice of counsel and
was "involuntary in character and unintelligently made made as (Amman Reu-El)
was misled" by Oller and Wachtel.

Amman Reu-El said he was misled into thinking the no-contest plea wouldn't be
used by the Kansas Supreme Court as grounds to deny a pre-trial habeas corpus
action filed by the defendant on Dec. 30, 2014.

Via the mail, Amman Reu-El wrote and filed the request, which was date-stamped
in district court on Monday. As of Friday, a date hadn't been selected for
Anderson to hear Amman Reu-El's filing seeking a hearing.

When Amman Reu-El made the "no contest" pleas on Feb. 27, a jury was being
chosen to hear his retrial in the slayings of Annette Roberson, 38, and Gloria
A. Jones, 42, on Dec. 13, 2003, in a southeast Topeka house. The pleas removed
the death penalty as a sentence.

Amman Reu-El was charged with capital murder in the shooting deaths of Roberson
and Jones; 2 alternative counts of premeditated 1st-degree murder of Roberson
and Jones; attempted first-degree murder of Annetta D. Thomas; aggravated
battery of Thomas; and criminal possession of a firearm. The Kansas Supreme
Court previously ordered a new trial on the basis of ineffective assistance of
counsel following Amman Reu-El's trial conviction in the 2003 murders of 2
women and severe wounding of a 3rd.

Amman Reu-El formally changed his name from Phillip D. Cheatham Jr. while
awaiting retrial in the capital murder case.

Amman Reu-El's interview

In a face-to-face interview with The Topeka Capital-Journal, Amman Reu-El said
he entered a no-contest plea Feb. 27 because he had lost faith in his attorneys
and the legal system. He said pretrial publicity had tainted the jury pool, and
entering a plea was the only way to avoid the death penalty.

The interview occurred March 4 at the Shawnee County Jail.

"If I couldn't get a fair trial the 1st time," Amman Reu-El said, "and
throughout the course of the delay leading up to the setting aside of
convictions, then how was I supposed to get a fair trial now?"

Ozawkie attorney Dennis Hawver represented Amman Reu-El at the 1st trial and
later was disbarred based on his legal work.

But Amman Reu-El in March said his attorneys "couldn't protect my rights as
they were obligated."

"I knew from the start that the state has left me in a position that I couldn't
receive my constitutional right to effective assistance of counsel anyway,"
Amman Reu-El said. "Because no matter how hard Mr. Hawver, no matter how hard
Mr. Wachtel would have tried, they couldn't protect my other rights - as in my
right to confrontation, my right to present the theory of my defense in its
entirety - and they were just pushing forward in total disregard of my rights."

The retrial

A retrial was ordered for Amman Reu-El in 2013 after the Kansas Supreme Court
overturned his capital murder convictions and death penalty based on a finding
he received ineffective assistance by Hawver in 2005.

A jury convicted him of the charges on Sept. 8, 2005.

After months preparing for the 2nd trial, prosecutors and defense attorneys
began choosing a jury in February.

The plea

Then, abruptly on Feb. 27, the judge was told a plea agreement had been
reached.

"We told the judge at 11:30 (a.m.) that we had come to an agreement," Oller
said.

Amman Reu-El pleaded no contest to capital murder and attempted murder, and the
other charges were dismissed.

With the plea, the death penalty was removed as a sentencing option.

"It was a very difficult and thought-out decision by Phillip," Oller told a
reporter on the day of the plea. "He doesn't come into this decision lightly."

When sentenced on March 20, Amman Reu-El received a life term for the capital
murder conviction and a sentence of 13 years and 9 months for the attempted
murder. He would have to serve a minimum of 25 years on the life term before he
was parole eligible, the nearly 14-year term.

After he served 25 years, he could apply to the Kansas Prisoner Review Board to
release him from the capital murder sentence, and if the request was granted,
then he would begin serving the 2nd sentence for attempted murder.

Since he was first convicted, Amman Reu-El has served almost 12 years.

At the earliest, Amman Reu-El has a little more than 13 years.

Speaking in March, Amman Reu-El said he would be out of prison "well before 14
years."

"It really didn't matter what the deal was or how much the time was because I
have faith in Allah in that the truth will be revealed that the state in the
process and in their treatment of me has been very unfair," Amman Reu-El said.

(source: Topeka Capital-Journal)

************

Prosecutors want Bennett's statement played during his trial

Prosecutors in a quadruple murder case in Parsons are working to include a
statement by the defendant at a jury trial.

The Kansas Attorney General's Office, which is prosecuting David Cornell
Bennett Jr., 23, filed a request for a hearing in the future on the issue of
offering evidence at trial of Bennett's statements to law enforcement.
Bennett's attorney, Timothy Frieden, has not filed a response.

Bennett is accused of strangling Cami Umbarger and her three children, Hollie
Betts, 9, Jaxon Betts, 6, and Averie Betts, 4, in November 2013. Their bodies
were discovered on Nov. 25, 2013, at Umbarger???s home in Parsons after she
didn't show up for work.

Bennett is charged with capital murder or in the alternative 4 counts of
11st-degree murder. The punishment for capital murder is death by lethal
injection or life in prison without parole, but the punishment requires an
additional hearing after a finding of guilt. The prosecution filed notice that
it is seeking the death penalty in the case. Bennett also faces a rape charge,
3 counts of criminal threat, all felonies, and 4 misdemeanors, 2 counts of
phone harassment and 2 counts of criminal deprivation of property.

Bennett's trial is scheduled for Sept. 7, 2016.

Assistant Attorney General Jessica G. Domme filed the motion in late August in
Bennett's case. She requested a hearing, called a Jackson v. Denno hearing, to
determine the voluntariness of Bennett's statement to law enforcement. The AG
would have to argue separately if the statement itself could be admitted at
trial.

Domme's motion indicates that Bennett spoke to KBI Senior Special Agent Steve
Rosebrough and then Parsons Police Chief Scott Gofourth on Nov. 27, 2013. The
interview took place at the Parsons Police Department after Bennett was advised
of his Miranda rights.

The motion doesn't mention any information that Bennett supplied, but indicated
Bennett spoke freely with the officers and volunteered his statements.

No hearing date has been scheduled on the voluntariness of Bennett's statement.

Frieden filed a request for additional discovery in the case, but the AG's
office objects to various parts of the motion, saying the requests go beyond
what the prosecution may have collected or what a defendant is allowed. No
hearing date for that has been scheduled.

Frieden motion says he's received 4,246 pages of discovery, as well as more
than 100 CD/DVDs and one flash drive.

(source: Parsons Sun)

******************

Jurors set to decide fate of Frazier Glenn Cross this week----Death penalty
possible for man convicted in Jewish center shootings

The jury deciding whether Frazier Glenn Cross should be sentenced to die for
murdering 3 people at the Jewish Community Center and Village Shalom will
resume its work Tuesday.

The jurors will hear closing arguments and instructions from the judge and then
begin their deliberations.

The same jury convicted Cross one week ago of killing William Corporon, Reat
Underwood and Terri LaManno in April 2014. Cross never denied committing the
crimes, but had argued that his anti-Semitic views left him no other choice.

Cross, who served as his own defense attorney, said he was driven by his
beliefs to kill Jews. He found out a week after the shootings that all 3 of his
victims were Christians.

During the penalty phase, prosecutors presents a swift case, saying that every
argument for giving Cross the death penalty was made in the trial.

In his own defense, Cross played anti-Semitic videos for the jury and called
his son to testify. His son, who spoke out against his father's crimes, told
the jury to sentence him to life in prison instead so that Cross won't get any
more public platforms to share his views.

A doctor also testified that Cross' emphysema makes it unlikely that he will
live long enough to exhaust all appeals in a death sentence.

Cross has told the court that he doesn't expect or want mercy from the jury.

The judge said he wanted jurors to hold off on their deliberations until
Tuesday so that they didn't feel pressured to make a quick decision before the
holiday.

(source: KMBC news)

*******************

Convicted neo-Nazi murderer F. Glenn Miller Jr. should get life in prison

Life in prison without parole would be an appropriate sentence for F. Glenn
Miller Jr. following his capital murder conviction for fatally shooting three
persons last year in Overland Park, Kan.

A jury is considering arguments in the penalty phase of his trial and will
decide whether to put Miller to death.

Given that Kansas has not carried out the death penalty since 1965, and given
that Miller, 74, suffers from emphysema, even a life sentence would essentially
be a death sentence.

A life sentence might well reduce the opportunities for an appeal and shield
the public from more courtroom drama starring Miller and his despicable
white-supremacist rants.

In addition, life imprisonment would deny Miller, also known as Frazier Glenn
Cross Jr., the satisfaction of touting execution as a kind of martyrdom in his
neo-Nazi killing spree.

A Johnson County District Court jury deliberated less than 2 hours before
reaching the verdict in the 6-day trial.

District Judge Kelly Ryan deserves praise for deftly maintaining courtroom
decorum and keeping Miller's outbursts to a minimum.

The jury convicted Miller for fatally shooting William Corporon, 69, and Reat
Underwood, 14, on April 13, 2014, outside the Jewish Community Center in
Overland Park, and Terri LaManno, 53, outside the nearby Village Shalom care
center, where she had gone to visit her mother.

Miller had driven from his home in Aurora, Mo., and scouted out the locations
intent on killing Jews. But his shooting victims were Christian. Acting as his
own attorney, Miller's defense included expressing the regret that he had not
killed more people.

In an opening statement, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Christopher McMullin
called Miller's killing spree "heinous, cruel and atrocious" and asked jurors
to impose the death penalty.

But a long, isolating imprisonment could serve to be a rancid hell of Miller's
own making. And it would give the public and his victims' families a better
chance to get beyond the nightmare he wrought.

(source: Opinion, Kansas City Star)

OKLAHOMA----impending execution

Death Row Inmate's Attorneys Search For New Evidence

Richard Glossip's attorneys admit they are feeling the pressure. With just 8
days until his scheduled execution Glossip's attorneys are frantically working
to save his life.

"I don't even want to think about this execution going through, I can't,"
Glossip's attorney Don Knight said.

Knight is 1 of 3 attorneys from across the country working pro bono to try and
save Richard Glossip's life.

Gov. Mary Fallin said the execution will go forward ... unless she is presented
with new information in the case.

Knight and defense investigators are currently in Oklahoma looking for that new
evidence.

Knight is from Colorado and said he plans to be in Oklahoma up until the
execution date interviewing witnesses connected 1997 murder of Barry Van
Treese.

"What we have been finding in the course of our investigation is many key
players have never been talked to by any defense lawyer at all or any defense
investigator, which is stunning since there have been 2 trials in this case,"
Knight said.

Glossip's attorneys are also looking for information from someone who did time
with Justin Sneed. Sneed testified Glossip masterminded the murder.

"If they would come forward and say let me tell you about something Justin
Sneed has said, something that I overheard or that he said to me or something a
friend told me he said about this situation that doesn't go along with this
idea that Richard Glossip is guilty," Knight said.

Knight said Glossip's legal team has not met yet with Fallin to discuss the
case, but hope to before the execution.

"She seems to be a substantive person so I think we need to respect that and
come to her when we are absolutely ready to give her the information that we
think gives her the ammunition she needs to give us the 60 say stay," Knight
said.

With the world now watching what happens in this case, it's up largely to
Oklahomans to put pressure on the governor to issue the 60 day stay, Knight
said.

"When the rest of the world is looking at a state that is about ready to kill
an innocent man, it really should make all Oklahomans pause and say 'Do we want
that? Why are we doing this to ourselves?' Only Oklahomans can stop this," he
said.

Glossip's execution is scheduled for Sept. 16.

(source: newson6.com)

NEBRASKA:

Ballot Measure Raises Stakes for Death Penalty Foes

The Nebraska Legislature's vote to abolish the death penalty was hailed as a
sign that red-state conservatives are turning away from the punishment, but
opponents now face the much greater challenge of persuading voters.

National death penalty experts say the campaign could test the notion that
conservative sentiment has shifted. Even some opponents of capital punishment
acknowledge they face an uphill battle.

Ohio State University law professor Doug Berman, a death penalty expert, says
the vote drew national attention because it played into the notion that capital
punishment was losing support in a deeply conservative state.

Nebraskans for the Death Penalty announced last month it had gathered nearly
167,000 signatures, nearly three times the minimum number needed to place the
issue on the November 2016 ballot.

Issues with CA death penalty result from improper funding

Last year, U.S. District Judge Cormac Carney ruled the death penalty in
California unconstitutional, resulting on a temporary ban on capital
punishment. His decision is up for review by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of
Appeals and, if turned back to the California Supreme court, another 4 years of
waiting for a decision is to come.

Michael Laurence, a lawyer defending the ban, and Carney alleged that the death
penalty is unconstitutional because of the length of time a prisoner must wait
before being put to death. The average amount of time a prisoner spends on
death row in California is 25 years because the judicial branch, among others,
is underfunded. It only received 1.4 % of the state's budget for the 2015-2016
year. Of this small sliver of budget, the Court of Appeals gets 6.2 percent,
according to the California State Budget.

The way to go about fixing the process for the death penalty is to talk about
funding. If California could reallocate some funds from other sections of the
budget, even if the budget was only to make an even 2 %, it would help quite a
bit.

A botched lethal injection occurred in 2006, causing the state to reevaluate
the method of death. In 2007, it was decided in Morales v. Tilton that lethal
injection was an issue because of "inconsistent and unreliable screening of
execution team members; a lack of meaningful training, supervision and
oversight of the execution team; inconsistent and unreliable record keeping;
... and inadequate lighting, overcrowded conditions and poorly designed
facilities in which the execution team must work."

Executions are carried out through the Department of Corrections and
Rehabilitations, which is receiving 8.7 % of State General Funding for the
2015-2016 year, according to the California State Budget. What this department
needs is more appropriate funding to make up for the shortcomings of 2006.

California has not executed anyone on death row since 2006 because of the
botched execution, which adds to the controversy surrounding the death penalty
being considered a cruel and unusual punishment.

Methods of death include lethal injection, gas chamber, hanging, firing squad
or the electric chair. From the perspective of a prisoner, all methods have
their benefits and disadvantages.

Saying the death penalty is unconstitutional because specific areas of
government are underfunded does not make sense. The state just has to figure
out how it can get better facilities, better funding for lawyers and training
for technicians scheduled to supervise executions.

(source: Daily Titan)

************

Is Southern California the New Deep South?----Los Angeles County has sentenced
more people to death than 5 Southern states combined.

San Bernardino is among the top 15 counties that produce the highest number of
death sentences nationally.

"Texas is called the Death Belt. Harris County is the buckle." That's how one
judge described the death penalty in the Lone Star State 15 years ago. In those
days, Texas produced 40 death sentences per year, and no one blinked if Harris
County accounted for 10 of them. These days, Texas is at the epicenter of a
different trend: The Deep South has witnessed a sharp, sustained, and
unmistakable drop in death verdicts. So far this year (as of Sept. 6, 2015)
Texas has not had a single new death sentence. Neither has Georgia, North
Carolina, South Carolina, or Virginia.

While the Deep South has moved away from capital punishment, Riverside County,
California, has become the buckle of a new Death Belt. It produced 7 new death
sentences in the 1st half of this year. That's more than California's other 57
counties combined, more than any other state, and more than the whole Deep
South combined. An hour's drive from Los Angeles, with a population of 2.3
million (6 % of California's population), Riverside has produced more death
sentences since 2010 than any other county in America except 1 - Los Angeles
County, which is 4 times its size.

Unfortunately, most of these counties have more in common than overzealous use
of the death penalty.

Los Angeles County voters supported Proposition 34, a measure that would have
replaced California's death penalty with a sentence of life without parole,
53.7 % to 46.3 %. Nonetheless, Los Angeles County has sentenced 33 people to
death row since 2010, which is more than any other county in America. Sure, Los
Angeles County has 10 million residents, but if you combine the death sentences
of 5 Southern states with an aggregate population of 40 million people -
Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia - Los Angeles
still has more death sentences over the same time period.

In addition to Riverside and Los Angeles, 3 other Southern California counties
- Kern, Orange, and San Bernardino - are among the top 15 counties that produce
the highest number of death sentences nationally out of 3,144 counties
nationwide. With an aggregate population of 6 million people, these 3
California counties have produced more death sentences since 2010 than three
Texas counties - Harris (Houston), Dallas, and Bexar (San Antonio) - which have
an aggregate population of 8.5 million.

The irony is that California is very unlikely to execute any of these people.
On Jan. 17, 2006, Clarence Ray Allen, a 76-year-old man who spent 23 years on
the state's death row, became the 13th and last person executed in California.
Last year, in an order declaring the California death penalty unconstitutional,
Judge Cormac Carney, whom President George W. Bush appointed to the federal
bench, wrote:

In fact, just to carry out the sentences of the 748 inmates currently on death
row, the State would have to conduct more than 1 execution a week for the next
14 years. Such an outcome is obviously impossible for many reasons, not the
least of which is that as a result of extraordinary delay in California's
system, only 17 inmates currently on death row have even completed the
post-conviction review process and are awaiting their execution. For all
practical purposes then, a sentence of death in California is a sentence of
life imprisonment with the remote possibility of death - a sentence no rational
legislature or jury could ever impose.

Yet last week California Deputy Solicitor General Michael Mongan urged a
federal appellate court to reverse Carney's decision, arguing, in part, that
the long delays in the system are a sign that California has a careful and
deliberate death penalty scheme. Whatever makes taxpayers sleep at night - but
the bottom line is that although California averages 2,000 homicides per year,
it counts its executions not in weeks or months, but in years or decades.

Much like a Hollywood movie script, then, new death sentences in California are
just for show. And it is an expensive one: The death penalty costs California
about $184 million per year, well above what it would cost to incarcerate these
prisoners for the rest of their natural lives. Gil Garcetti, former Los Angeles
district attorney, recently explained the opportunity cost of pursuing these
purely symbolic sentences: "Spending our tax dollars on actually preventing
crimes, instead of pursuing death sentences after they've already been
committed, will assure us we will have fewer victims." Alternately, money
currently used on the death penalty could be redirected to investigate unsolved
murders. An astonishing 4,862 homicides, all of them occurring in Los Angeles
County between 2000 and 2010, remain unsolved. This translates into a 54 %
solve rate, which is an embarrassing figure that falls 9 percent below the
national average.

The greatest costs do not come attached to a dollar sign. In 2011, Bethany
Webb's sister, Laura, was murdered in Orange County. She openly opposed death
penalty proceedings and said that it's "torturous to have to keep going to
court" and "there's no end in sight." Webb said of her sister's killer, "He's
going to die of old age in jail. We know that." Aba Gayle, whose daughter was
murdered in 1980, felt ignored when, after a court overturned the death
sentenced imposed upon the person who murdered her daughter, prosecutors
rejected her request that the case be settled with a sentence of life without
the possibility of parole: "Over and over," she said, "I've been told that what
we feel and what we think is not important." Now 3 decades after the crime,
Gayle questions what the point is of executing a person for "something they did
30 years ago."

Unwisely marshaling limited public resources and purposelessly traumatizing
many victims' family members in support of a punishment that most prosecutors
have chosen to forego are reason enough to question the wisdom of California
prosecutors who continue to seek the death penalty with reckless abandon.
Unfortunately, most of these counties have more in common than overzealous use
of the death penalty.

Earlier this year, a federal appellate court reversed the murder conviction of
a Riverside County man, Johnny Baca, due to flagrant prosecutorial misconduct.
One former Riverside prosecutor, Robert Spira, testified that a jailhouse
snitch had not received any incentive to testify against Baca. It turns out he
was lying. The prosecutor doing the questioning, Paul Vinegrad, apparently knew
that Spira was lying and solicited the informant's testimony anyway.

A federal magistrate judge, Patrick Walsh, said that the "Riverside County
District Attorney's Office turned a blind eye to fundamental principles of
justice to obtain a conviction." During oral argument in the federal 9th U.S.
Circuit Court of Appeals, Chief Judge Alex Kozinski agreed. He asked the
government's lawyer to ask Kamala Harris, the attorney general of California,
"if she really wants to stick by a prosecution that was obtained by lying
prosecutors." He also asked aloud why the former prosecutors were not being
prosecuted for perjury. Mike Hestrin, who personally obtained seven death
sentences before he took the helm of the Riverside County District Attorney's
Office this year, refused to admit that either prosecutor intentionally
committed misconduct. He also promised to retry Baca, a man who already has
spent 20 years in prison.

According to the National Registry of Exonerations, Kern County has wrongfully
convicted 24 men and women. Of those 24 cases, 22 involved misconduct by a
government official. Just this year, a state appellate court found that a
prosecutor in Kern County, Robert Murray, "clearly engaged in egregious
misconduct that prejudiced the defendant's constitutional right to counsel"
when he "deliberately altered an interrogation transcript to include a
confession that could be used to justify charges that carry a life sentence."
Back in 2008, the same prosecutor appears to have hid unfavorable blood
evidence results produced by a state crime lab and lied about having asked a
state lab technician to preserve the (subsequently destroyed) evidence.

The person who killed Bethany Webb's sister pleaded guilty. However, before the
cased moved into the penalty phase, in which the jury would be asked to choose
between the death penalty and life without parole, the trial judge recused the
entire Orange County District Attorney's Office because of the extensive
misconduct that the office had committed in the case. "The District Attorney
cannot or will not in this case comply with the discovery orders of this court
and the related constitutional and statutory mandates that guarantee this
defendant's right to due process and a fair trial," the judge wrote. Among
other misuses of discretion evident in the case, Orange County prosecutor Erik
S. Petersen failed to turn over a host of material about what appears to be an
illegal jailhouse informant program that the county used to secure testimony
against defendants. This is not the DA office's 1st brush with misconduct. As
Radley Balko reports, "Between 1997 and 2009, prosecutors in Orange County,
California, were cited for misconduct 58 times."

In 2010, the 9th Circuit reversed the murder conviction of a Los Angeles man,
Bobby Joe Maxwell, because the prosecution failed to disclose that its star
witness, a jailhouse informant named Sidney Storch, received a lighter sentence
in exchange for his testimony against Maxwell. Storch, who had been discharged
from the military for being "a habitual liar," was also in hot water for
"impersonating a Central Intelligence Agency ('CIA') officer and Howard
Johnson, the son of the well-known Howard Johnson hotel chain.' A detective
once testified that he "would not trust anything Sidney Storch said unless you
could corroborate the information with some source." Nonetheless, the Los
Angeles District Attorney's Office used Storch as a jailhouse informant in
multiple cases up until he was ???caught fabricating lies as he testified for
the prosecution" in a different case.

This summer, Justice Stephen Breyer penned a dissent, joined by Justice Ruth
Bader Ginsburg, in Glossip v. Gross in which the duo urged the Supreme Court to
revisit the broad question of whether the death penalty remains consistent with
evolving standards of decency. One of the linchpins of their argument was that
the country has abandoned the death penalty in practice, and "the number of
active death penalty counties is small and getting smaller." Since 2010, "only
15 counties imposed 5 or more death sentences." If 1/3 of the active death
sentencing counties are in Southern California - places where those death
sentences do not mean anything, and prosecutors don't seem to play by the rules
- then it is truly time to end the death penalty charade once and for all.

(source: Robert J. Smith is an assistant professor of law at the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill----slate.com)

USA:

Dismantle the machinery of death

"We need to kill more people," said a man responsible for at least 4 deaths in
the past 5 years. "... [R]evenge is important for society as a whole."

Are these chilling words from the manifesto of a mass murderer or an ISIL
insurgent? Actually, these telling statements were recently uttered by Dale
Cox, one of the nation's most efficient death penalty prosecutors. When put in
Cox's blunt terms, the motivations behind the death penalty become clear:
revenge and bloodlust. With Cox's words in mind, if our nation seeks to be a
fair arbiter of justice and a moral example to the world, we must end the death
penalty without delay.

But that fight will not be easy. The Supreme Court ended an otherwise fruitful
term with a barbarous ruling in the case Glossip v. Gross. 5 justices found the
execution drug midazolam neither cruel nor unusual - the same drug behind a
number of horrendous botched executions that Justice Sonia Sotomayor LAW '79
described as "the chemical equivalent of being burned at the stake." To add
insult to (literal) injury, the majority also decided that the burden is on the
prisoner to find an alternative execution method, failing which the state can
essentially kill him or her by whatever method it wishes.

But other events of the summer offered some hope. Here in Connecticut, while
Governor Dannel Malloy and the legislature had ended death sentencing, 11
prisoners remained on death row for past crimes. But in August, the state
Supreme Court ruled the death penalty unconstitutional in all cases. Meanwhile
in Nebraska, a state as conservative as Connecticut is liberal, a supermajority
of the right-leaning legislature voted to repeal the death penalty in May. "The
death penalty today is a broken and ineffective government program," wrote a
group of Nebraska conservatives. "The time has come [for repeal]."

Indeed, conservatives of all stripes should oppose the death penalty. For the
libertarian, capital punishment is big government at its worst, allowing the
state to meddle not just with taxes, but with lives. For the fiscal
conservative, study after study has shown the death penalty to cost far more
than life sentences. In one study, the death penalty costs up to 10 times more
than sentencing criminals to life behind bars. For the religious conservative,
capital punishment violates the values of many faith traditions. As Pope John
Paul II preached, "the dignity of human life must never be taken away, even in
the case of someone who has done great evil." I applaud those in the pro-life
movement, particularly at Yale, who realize that a true pro-life stance
necessitates opposition to the death penalty.

People across the political spectrum can agree that capital punishment is
inaccurate, ineffective and racially biased. Astonishingly, over 150 death row
inmates have been proven innocent and officially exonerated in the past 42
years - though even one would be too many. Scores of studies and the American
Society of Criminology concur that the death penalty fails to deter crime.
Sometimes, it even has the opposite outcome, desensitizing people to death via
the "brutalization effect." And on top of all this, state after state has
uncovered systemic racial biases in death penalty sentencing. For instance, a
University of Washington study found black defendants three times more likely
to be sentenced to death than whites, all other variables controlled, and a
Government Accountability Office review of 53 different studies conclusively
showed that those who killed white victims disproportionately receive the death
penalty.

Maybe, just maybe, these astounding statistics would be excusable if the
punishment could be revoked. But the death penalty can't admit its mistakes. Of
course, the crimes of the truly guilty on death row are unimaginably horrible.
Homicide violates the most basic tenets of our society and causes untold trauma
for the victim's loved ones. But if we collectively condemn those who take a
life, why should our government stoop to the same level? How can our nation
have written into its laws that the appropriate response to one killing is
another? Surely homicidal criminals deserve severe punishment, but to have the
death penalty in a democracy puts blood on all of our hands.

Yet since we live in a democracy, collective action can remove this national
moral stain. With states across the nation reconsidering their stances, the
time is ripe for action. If you hail from a state where the death penalty has
already been done away with, urge your federal representatives to do the same.

In 1994, Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun came to realize the horrors of
capital punishment, declaring "from this day forward, I no longer shall tinker
with the machinery of death." While his statement rings powerfully to this day,
it is not enough. 2 decades later, we cannot just sit back and "no longer
tinker." We must actively dismantle the machinery of death, or it will continue
to grind on.

(source: Guest Columnist; Jacob Wasserman is a senior in Saybrook College and
vice president of the Yale College Democrats----Yale Daily News)