Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Jan 27 11:29:38 CST 2015

Jan. 27

SOUTHEAST ASIA:

Southeast Asia: UN rights office appeals for halt in executions for drug crimes

The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
today expressed concern over the use of the death penalty for drug-related
crimes in Southeast Asia and urged authorities to abolish the punishment amid
reports that eight more people had been sentenced to death for heroin
trafficking.

"According to international human rights jurisprudence, capital punishment
could only be applied to the crime of murder or intentional killing," OHCHR
spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani told reporters in Geneva, where the Office is
based.

"Drug-related offences, economic crimes, political crimes, adultery, and
offences relating to consensual same-sex relationships did not fall under the
threshold of "most serious crimes" required under international law for
application of the death penalty," Ms. Shamdasani said.

OHCHR expressed its concern about the continued use of the death penalty for
drug-related crimes in parts of South East Asia, where last Sunday, 6 people
convicted of drug offences were executed in Indonesia in spite of several
national and international appeals. Further, a court in Vietnam today
reportedly sentenced 8 people, including 2 women, to death for heroin
trafficking.

The Office is particularly concerned about the respect for due process in such
cases after Indonesian President Joko Widodo reportedly stated that he would
reject all requests for clemency for drug-related crimes, the Spokeswomen said.

OHCHR urged the Indonesian authorities to reinstate a moratorium on the death
penalty and to conduct a thorough review of all requests for pardon with a view
to commutation of sentence, Ms. Shamdasani said.

According to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which
Indonesia has ratified, "anyone sentenced to death shall have the right to seek
pardon or commutation of the sentence," according to the spokeswoman.

OHCHR also called on Vietnam not to carry out those executions of the 8 people
sentenced today, to ensure judicial review of the sentences, and to consider
elimination of the death penalty for drug-related crimes.

In Southeast Asia, drug-related crimes are punishable by death in Indonesia,
Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Viet Nam.

While those crimes are also punishable by death in Brunei Darussalam, the Lao
Peoples" Democratic Republic and Myanmar, those three countries have not
carried out executions since 1957, 1989 and 1988, respectively.

The OHCHR Spokesperson said the International Narcotics Control Board had
encouraged States that still imposed the death penalty for drug-related
offenses to abolish that punishment.

(source: India Gazette)

IRAN----executions

3 Prisoners Hanged in Western Iran----At least 70 executions have been reported
so far in 2015 in Iran

3 prisoners were hanged in Hamadan (western Iran) reported the official website
of Iranian Judiciary in Hamadan. The prisoners who were not identified by name,
were convicted of rape, said the report. The executions were carried out
yesterday morning 26. January.

According to reports by Iran Human Rights (IHR) at least 70 people have been
executed so far in January 2015 in Iran. 25 of the executions have been
reported by official Iranian sources.

(source: Iran Human Rights)

SAUDI ARABIA:

Saudi Arabia's New King Refused to Intervene in a Controversial Beheading

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud looks on during a
meeting with China's President Xi Jinping at the Great Hall of the People in
Beijing

An alleged rapist was executed Monday but many Saudis believe the case against
him was shaky

A Saudi man accused of raping young girls was beheaded on Monday in the 1st
execution under the administration of Saudi Arabia's new King Salman.

Teacher Moussa al-Zahrani, 45, was beheaded in the western city of Jeddah, the
Associated Press reports. The execution drew an unusual amount of debate on
Saudi talk shows and social media, with citizens and relatives pointing out
inconsistencies and gaps in evidence.

Al-Zahrani repeatedly maintained his innocence throughout his trial and
appeals, and pleaded to the late Saudi King Abdullah to intervene in a video,
which circulated widely in social media. The video featured al-Zahrani's
allegations that police framed him, eliciting a Twitter hashtag in Arabic "We
are all Moussa al-Zahrani."

However, King Salman, like his predecessor, chose not to intervene in the
execution. Saudi Arabia continues to apply the death penalty to cases of rape,
murder and other offenses according to the theocratic kingdom's strict
interpretation of Islamic law.

(source: TIME Magazine)

CHINA:

Death penalty upheld for child trafficker

A court in south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region on Monday confirmed
and upheld the child trafficking conviction and death sentence of a man
claiming to be Vietnamese.

The region's higher people's court announced that it agreed that Huang Qingheng
was guilty of orchestrating the exchange of more than 20 infants and children
for financial gain since 2010.

The children were either smuggled from Vietnam to be sold in China, mainly in
Guangdong Province, or pregnant Vietnamese women were sent to China to sell
their unborn children.

11 of the children have been rescued by Chinese police.

The other 23 members of Huang's gang, who are both Chinese and Vietnamese
nationals, were given jail terms ranging from 22 months to life imprisonment.

The local police said that Huang's nationality is yet to be verified.

(source: Xinhua News Agency)

NIGERIA:

Death Row Inmates Recount Experience As LEDAP Opens New Office

Williams Owodo is 36 years old. Out of that 36 years, he spent 17 of it in
prison as a death row inmate. His story is heart-rending as it is incredulous.

He was barely 16, when he was picked up in Police raid at Ajegunle while
returning from a football training.

In a twist of events, he ended up in death row as a condemned criminal. Owodo
said: "I was arrested in February 1, 1995 with 4 others persons on allegation
of murder in Ajegunle and was subsequently convicted and sentenced to death on
December 5, 2003 by the Lagos High Court."

Williams said when they were arrested and kept in Ajeromi Police station, most
of the other detainees whose parents had the wherewithal effected their
release. In his own case, there was no means, so he was branded an armed
robber, tortured to confess to the crime and condenmed to death in court. He
was freed eventually by the Appeal Court in 2014.

Also, Sopuruchi Obed was barely 17 when he was arrested on September 30, 2004
on the allegation by Police at Igando that he and others were part of a group
of young men seen by Police informant spending lavishly at a beer parlour, and
overhead boasting of their unlawful escapades. Obed said even though no one
ever testified of being robbed by him or others, they were charged for armed
robbery and convicted.

Meanwhile, the young man said he was just a hapless passerby. He revealed that
he met his alleged crime mate, Oto-Obong Edet for the 1st time in Police
custody. Both of them were locked up in jail since and only had the air of
freedom in 2014. He faced the trauma of the imminence of the hangman for 10
years.

Unlike Owodo, Obed was not only tortured to confess to the crime, he was shot
on his leg. He said: "Everyday, I see people get killed. The fear and torment
of being killed was horrifying. I didn't want to die, so when they tortured me
and threatened to kill me, I signed the document, admitting that I robbed. But
when I told the court that the statement was not voluntary, the judge just
refused to agree".

The story is the same for Christopher Tobi Okolie, a former student of the
Federal Technical College Ilesha who was arrested in 2000 when he was accused
of committing the offence of murder while he was involved in a altercation with
few of his neighbours.

Okolie said a gang of boys within his neighbourhood waylaid him on his was to
his father's residence in Ikotun area as a result of his discman player, which
his friend borrowed and refused to return. "I borrowed my disc player to my
friend. So when I wanted to return to school, I went to collect it, but he told
me that he has given it to his brother. Because I didn't want to go without my
disc, I took the one I saw in their house and left. When I came home, their
brother came to my house and slapped me.

"One evening, as I was returning, they waylaid me on the street. I ran to enter
our compund but it was locked. So in the process of dragging me, both of us
fell into the gutter. I didn't know that the guy got seriously injured. It was
later that the Police came and arrested me in my sisters place".

He was subsequently convicted and sentenced to death in March 2006 for murder.
But late last year, he was freed by the superior court.

Those are the ugly stories of hundreds of weak an vulnerable Nigerians who have
been in death row but freed through the intervention of Legal Defence and
Assistance Programme (LEDAP).

They recounted their experiences recently at the occasion of the opening of
LEDAP's new office in Lekki, Lagos. They all appealed for aid to start a new
life.

Speaking at the occasion, the national cordinator of LEDAP, Mr. Chino Obiagwu
said for the past 18 years, the non-governmental organisation has worked in the
area of access to justice and rule of law; human security, women's right,
internaional advocacy and rights of persons living with disabilities.

Obiagwu pointed out that LEDAP has remained the leading voice in Nigeria on the
abolition of death penalty.

His words: "Under its human security programme, LEDAP has documented since 2001
extrajudicial killings in Nigeria comprising over 12, 500 recorded cases of
unlawful killings published as our annual 'impunity report'."

He noted that his organisation pioneered the Domestic Violence Law, which is
today the key instrument for the protection of women and children from
gender-based violence, the administration of criminal justice law as well as
being a licenced service provider to the Nigeria Bar Association on mandatory
continuing legal education.

According to him, LEDAP's access to justice and human security programmes are
geared towards providing free legal services to indigent prisoners. "LEDAP has
provided free legal support to over 100 death row inmates in Nigeria. Nearly 7
out of every 10 death penalty appeals that LEDAP has handled in the last 2
years have resulted in the acquittal of the appellants, suggesting a very high
rate of wrongeful capital convictions", he said, and appealed to the Nigerian
government to reconsider its stand on the use of capital punishment by
abolishing the use of death penalty and replace same with life imprisonment.

(source: All Africa News)