[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Jan 16 16:47:10 CST 2015

USA:

http://www.roche.com/media/med-stat-2015-01-16.htm

Roche Statement

Statement on use of midazolam for death penalty

January 16, 2015

Roche is aware of the use of the benzodiazepine midazolam as part of a drug
combination for executions under the death penalty in the U.S.
Roche did not supply midazolam for death penalty use and would not knowingly
provide any of our medicines for this purpose. We support a worldwide ban on
the death penalty.

Roche discovered midazolam in the 1970s as a treatment for acute seizures,
moderate to severe insomnia, and for inducing sedation and amnesia before
medical procedures. In 2004, Roche discontinued the manufacture and
distribution of midazolam in the U.S. for business reasons during a
re-evaluation of our product portfolio of medicines that are now available
from generic manufacturers.

(source: roche.com)