[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----KY., ARK., MO., MONT., CALIF., ORE., WASH.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Feb 20 16:19:54 CST 2015

Feb. 20

KENTUCKY:

Ky. legislature should find out death penalty's cost

Let's say you have no moral qualms about the death penalty. You also think,
despite compelling evidence to the contrary, that our justice system is meting
out the irreversible punishment fairly with negligible errors.

You still might not consider the perceived benefits of prosecuting and
sentencing a criminal to death worth the cost when compared to some other
sentence such as life without parole - if you knew the cost, which in Kentucky
we don't.

Legislators, who are entrusted with budgeting tax dollars to meet many
competing underfunded needs, should want to know the cost to taxpayers. In
fact, they should demand to know.

Bipartisan resolutions have been introduced in both chambers that would
authorize a task force to study the death penalty's cost to the state before
the 2016 General Assembly convenes.

Senate Resolution 11 and House Resolution 30 have bipartisan support, which
makes sense since their bottom line is making the best use of tax dollars, a
bipartisan concern.

A blue ribbon panel of Kentuckians convened by the American Bar Association
studied the death penalty in our state and issued a troubling report in 2011.

Since 1976 when Kentucky reinstated capital punishment, 78 people have been
sentenced to death. Of those, 52 have had a death sentence overturned on appeal
or been granted clemency - an error rate of about 60 %. 3 individuals have been
executed.

The panel did not study how much that record has cost taxpayers, however, and
neither has anyone else. A responsible legislature would fill the knowledge
gap.

(source: Editorial, kentucky.com)

***********************

Webb Files Bill to Reform Kentucky's Death Penalty

On the same day Pennsylvania's governor placed a moratorium on the death
penalty in the Keystone state, a Kentucky lawmaker filed a bill to make what
she says would be moderate reforms to Kentucky's laws.

State Sen. Robin Webb maintains there are so many problems with Kentucky's
death penalty that Gov. Steve Beshear should do what Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf
did last Friday - suspend the death penalty.

"You know, we've had a lot of litigation over our manner of execution and
lethal injections, and the cocktail and the protocol and all of that, which is
expensive for the state," Webb points out. "And, you know, again there's a
humanitarian aspect of this, but there's also a fiscal impact of this."

It was 3 years ago December that the American Bar Association (ABA) released a
report outlining a myriad of problems with Kentucky's death penalty - citing 95
specific things that needed to be fixed.

Webb's bill calls for more law enforcement training on the use of lineups,
interrogations, eyewitness testimony and biological evidence.

It also proposes more training for judges on mental-health issues. And, it
attempts to improve DNA storage and testing - a crucial piece of the bill, says
Webb, because of the dozens of wrongful convictions across the country.

"It's, you know, not too comprehensive," she concedes. "I'm a realist. I think
it's things that we've talked about in the past and hopefully can reach a
consensus."

Pennsylvania's governor said his state's moratorium will remain in effect until
problems cited by an advisory commission are addressed - a situation similar to
Kentucky's.

When the ABA issued its report in December 2011 the panel of lawyers,
professors and retired judges recommended a temporary suspension of the death
penalty.

(source: WMKY news)

ARKANSAS:

Justices hear arguments on state's execution law

The Arkansas Supreme Court heard oral arguments Thursday about whether a 2013
law enacted by state legislators gave too much authority to the Arkansas
Department of Correction to set lethal-injection protocol.

Last year, Pulaski County Circuit Judge Wendell Griffen declared that Act 139
of 2013 violated separation-of-powers principles and was therefore a "clear
violation" of the Arkansas Constitution. His ruling put lethal injection on
hold in the state unless the Supreme Court decides otherwise or legislators
rewrite the law.

Griffen's ruling was in response to a lawsuit filed in April of 2013 by 9
death-row inmates who challenged the latest rewrite of the Method of Execution
Act, which replaced the electric chair with lethal injection in 1983. The
inmates had already prevailed in 2 earlier lawsuits challenging legislative
rewrites of the law.

In his ruling, Griffen said that "Simply put," the 2013 law "suffers from the
same separation-of-powers infirmity that caused our Supreme Court to declare
its predecessor invalid."

In 2012, the Supreme Court said the Legislature "abdicated its responsibility
and passed to the executive branch [the Correction Department] the unfettered
discretion to determine all protocols and procedures, most notably the
chemicals to be used, for a state execution."

The legislative branch of government can delegate its decision-making authority
to an executive agency as long as the delegation is accompanied by "reasonable
guidelines" that set "appropriate standards" for the agency to use that
authority, Griffen said. He found that the 2013 law still gave the department
too much leeway to decide what type of drug should be used and how it should be
administered. He said that specifying only that the department use a
"barbiturate" isn't adequate.

Assistant Attorney General Jennifer Merritt told the justices that the 2013
version of the law "provides sufficient guidance" to prison officials and
"accurately constrains" the department's discretion.

"ultra short-acting barbiturate" were removed from the state law because such a
drug had become increasingly difficult to obtain. She said legislators tried to
remedy the problem by enacting a "very broad statute," as most states have --
to which Wynne replied that his own research has found that "a number of
states" specify the drugs to be used.

Justice Karen Baker noted that Act 139 "lacks any sort of requirement for
medical personnel," to which Merritt replied that "selecting appropriate
personnel is an executive function."

Josh Lee, an assistant federal public defender who is representing the inmates,
said the statute gives the department the discretion on whether to have medical
personnel on hand.

"What the General Assembly has said is, 'We can have a quick and painless
death, or a slow and agonizing death. Department of Correction, it's up to
you,'" Lee said.

He urged the justices to consider the dangers of vesting too much authority in
the department, pointing out, "There is nothing in the lethal-injection act
saying it has to be humane."

Statutes in Kansas and Ohio, unlike the Arkansas statute, specify that the
lethal-injection protocol "should cause a quick and painless death," he said.

He answered affirmatively when Justice Paul Danielson asked if the law would be
cured by specifying that the procedure must be "swift and humane." But Baker
wondered how that phrase would be defined.

Lee said the 2013 revision of the law would permit whoever was designated to
carry out a lethal injection in Arkansas to personally decide whether a
particular inmate has a "slow and agonizing" death or a "quick and painless"
death, based on the facts of the case that led to the death sentence.

Baker said that surely the Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which
protects against cruel and unusual punishment and supersedes any state statute,
would prevent that, but Lee said he isn't so certain.

While acknowledging that the Eighth Amendment doesn't require Arkansas to enact
a "swift and humane" protocol, Merritt told the justices that "it is extremely
difficult for the Legislature to codify everything," and said she feared that
adding that phrase would generate "endless litigation."

When Baker asked how an executioner would choose which barbiturate to use,
Merritt replied that the department's protocol would specify a particular drug.
But she conceded that under the 2013 statute, "This act would allow any
barbiturate."

Merritt tried to steer the justices away from questions about medical issues,
reminding them that the issue is separation of powers.

Similarly, Lee said in an emailed statement after the hearing, "This case is
really not about the death penalty. It is about making sure that government
agencies don't exceed their authority. Not just prisoners but also Arkansas
businesses and ordinary citizens need government agencies to stay within the
limits of their constitutional authority."

(source: arkansasonline.com)

MISSOURI:

MU law professor highlights 'serious problems' in Missouri dealth penalty
process

2 bipartisan state bills focusing on death penalty reform - Senate Bill 393 and
House Bill 561 - have more to do with fixing "serious problems" affecting the
entire Missouri criminal justice system and less to do with the morality of
executions, MU law professor Paul Litton said Thursday. Litton was co-chair of
an 8-member team of prominent Missouri jurists tasked by the American Bar
Association with studying potential flaws in the fairness and accuracy of the
state's capital justice system. The group's 2-year, 400-plus-page report was
released in 2012.

Litton highlighted some of the report's recommendations at a meeting hosted by
opponents of the death penalty at the Missouri United Methodist Church. The
event, "Moratorium Now: Promoting Reforms for Greater Fairness and Accuracy in
Missouri's Death Penalty" drew about 40 people. Recommendations included
changes to the state's investigative procedures, where the most serious
problems were found, he said.

Other recommendations aimed at reducing wrongful convictions would require
police departments to: record an entire interrogation with a suspect from
beginning to end; inform eyewitnesses reviewing a police lineup that a suspect
may not be in the lineup; and ensure the police officer leading the lineup
doesn't know who the suspect is in order not to influence the results.

"These are relevant to the whole criminal justice system, not just death
penalty cases," Litton said.

At Thursday's event, state Rep. Stephen Webber, D-Columbia, said he has long
supported reform in the state's capital punishment practices.

"Every single person I've ever met believes government makes mistakes," Webber
said, adding that the death penalty is something where "you can't make a
mistake."

Both SB 393 and HB 561 would create a task force to analyze the state's capital
punishment system, while placing a moratorium on the death penalty until
January 2018. The bipartisan Senate bill is sponsored by Sens. Jill Schupp,
D-Creve Coeur, and Rob Schaaf, R-St. Joseph; HB 561 was sponsored by Rep. John
Rizzo, D-Kansas City, and cosponsored by 11 members including three
Republicans.

Missouri has executed 81 people since 1976, including 10 last year, which tied
it with Texas for the state with most executions.

(source: The Missourian)

***********************

Groups sponsor death penalty talk

Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty and the Mid-Missouri
Fellowship of Reconciliation will hold a program called "Moratorium Now:
Promoting Reforms for Greater Fairness and Accuracy in Missouri's Death
Penalty" at 7 p.m. Thursday in Whittler Hall at Missouri United Methodist
Church, 204 S. Ninth St.

Paul Litton, an associate professor at the University of Missouri School of
Law, who co-chaired the Missouri Death Penalty Assessment Team, and other legal
experts will talk about the state's death penalty system.

(source: Columbia Daily Tribune)

MONTANA:

Judiciary Committee advances bill abolishing death penalty

By a slim margin, the House Judiciary Committee has advanced a bill to abolish
the death penalty in Montana and replace it with life imprisonment without
parole.

The panel voted 11-10 on to send House Bill 370 to the floor for debate.

The vote marks a dramatic turnaround for death penalty-abolishment advocates,
as the Republican-controlled House Judiciary Committee has killed similar bills
in several previous legislative sessions.

"I was shocked," said the bill's sponsor, Rep. David "Doc" Moore, R-Missoula.
"I didn't expect it to come out of committee. I kind of feel I've got a tiger
by the tail here."

The bill now advances to the House floor for debate. Moore said he figures the
odds of the bill passing the full House are 50-50.

"I know everyone has their own personal beliefs on it," he said. "I don't think
that anything anyone says on the House floor during deliberations is going to
sway anyone."

2 Republicans - Reps. Clayton Fiscus of Billings and Bruce Meyers of Box Elder
- joined all 9 Democrats to vote for HB370 in committee, while the other 10
Republicans opposed the bill.

"Our death penalty is a joke," Fiscus said Thursday.

After people are sentenced to the death penalty, he said taxpayers have to
spend $3 million or $4 million providing them with public defenders, including
one specializing in death penalty cases, to say they belong in prison.

Another reason Fiscus said he voted for the bill is that life in prison without
parole "is worse than the death penalty" for the convicted person.

Fiscus said he also opposes the death penalty, to eliminate any worry about
executing an innocent person.

Meyers explained his opposition to the death penalty by saying he came from a
background of having a Native American father and a mother with a Christian
background.

"That was part of my conscience, the way I was raised," he said. "Native
Americans view all life as being sacred."

>From a Christian perspective, Meyers said he prefers the New Testament, which
"calls for mercy and grace" over the "eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth"
philosophy of the Old Testament.

Moore recounted what he said in the committee hearing last week about the death
penalty.

"You've got to decide yourself whether you personally could pull a trigger or
press that button or pull the lever," he said.

(source: Ravalli Republic)

CALIFORNIA----new death sentence

Killer in 2009 triple murder rampage gets death penalty

In handing down a death sentence Thursday for a man who orchestrated the
killings of his cousin and 2 other people in just over a month in 2009, a judge
said the defendant went on a "murderous rampage" and deserved the ultimate
punishment.

Robert Louis Caballero - who knocked over a chair as he was being led into
court by more than a half-dozen Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies - blurted
out an expletive as one of his attorneys asked that the jury's Sept. 16 death
penalty recommendation be reduced to life in prison without parole.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Ronald S. Coen denied the request, calling the
crimes "atrocious" and noting that 3 people were "brutally murdered."

"You went on a murderous rampage that shows a ... callous disregard for human
life," the judge told the defendant.

Jurors deliberated about an hour before finding Caballero, 37, guilty of
1st-degree murder for the Sept. 29, 2009, shooting death of Armando Vidana of
Pomona, the Nov. 5, 2009, strangulation of Lorraine Minjarez of Covina, and the
Nov. 6, 2009, bludgeoning death of his cousin, David Padilla, of El Monte.

In addition to 3 counts of 1st-degree murder, Caballero was convicted of 2
counts of kidnapping and 1 count each of assault with a firearm, possession of
a firearm by a felon and evading an officer.

Jurors found true gang and gun allegations, along with special circumstance
allegations of lying in wait, murder during the course of a kidnapping and
multiple murders.

Deputy District Attorney Sarika Kim told the panel that Caballero made Minjarez
"sit and listen as her grave was being dug."

The 32-year-old woman's body was found in the Angeles National Forest along
Mount Baldy Road. The prosecutor said Caballero lured Minjarez to a car in a
"cold and callous way," gathered what he needed to kill her, forced her to hike
to her gravesite, tightened a rope around her neck as she struggled to breathe
and then directed co-defendant Pete Trejo Jr. to bury her body.

Padilla, 29, was bludgeoned and strangled and was found near the Union Pacific
railroad tracks near Walnut Avenue in Chino. The prosecutor said Caballero
ordered co-defendant Andrew Valenzuela to strangle Padilla because he had
decided he didn't trust him any longer.

Caballero was arrested in November 2009 after a police chase that ended in a
crash in Montclair.

At the time, authorities said he was wanted on a warrant for Vidana's killing.
The motive for the 25-year-old Pomona man's killing was unclear.

One of Padilla's sisters, Inez Roacho, told the judge that "there are no
adequate words to describe the pain, anger and despair that I've felt from his
murder."

" ... What has kept me focused since David's murder is the promise I made to
myself and my loved ones when I saw him laid out on the cold table at the
funeral home, I promised that whomever did this to him that justice would be
served and now I pass that promise on to you," she told the judge while asking
him to impose the maximum sentence. "It is my wish that no one ever again would
have to go through a tragedy like ours."

In a statement read by the prosecutor, another of Padilla's sisters, Isabel
Garcia, wrote that "it's already been 5 years that he was taken from us, but
the pain feels like it was just yesterday."

In comments addressed to the defendant, the woman wrote, "I pray to God every
night that he will give me the strength to forgive you but as for now all I
want is you to pay for what you did, because not only did you take a brother
from myself and my sisters but because you took a father from my nieces and now
they have to grow up without their dad. How do you do that? How do you live
with yourself knowing you took someone's life, not just anyone's life, but your
own cousin!"

Trejo and Valenzuela - who were tried along with Caballero - were sentenced
Oct. 3 to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Trejo was convicted
of 1st-degree murder and kidnapping in connection with Minjarez's death, while
Valenzuela was convicted of 1st-degree murder and kidnapping involving
Padilla's death.

(source: mynewsLA.com)

OREGON:

Gov. Brown says she'll keep Kitzhaber's death penalty moratorium

Taking rapid-fire questions from the press in her ceremonial office in the
Capitol, Oregon's new governor Kate Brown didn't flinch.

Before anyone could ask her about it, she dispensed with the question of who
would fill her shoes in her former position as secretary of state by saying she
would make her selection Friday, March 6.

Otherwise, she fielded questions from a wide range of issues spanning the
political spectrum as reporters tried to feel out where she will come down on
issues.

She said she'll keep her predecessor's moratorium on the death penalty in place
and "there needs to be a broader discussion about fixing the system. Until that
discussion, I'm upholding the moratorium imposed by (former) Gov. (John)
Kitzhaber."

In November 2011, Kitzhaber declared that no one on death row would be executed
in Oregon under his watch. It set off a firestorm of controversy, and
surprisingly, the man who led the charge against Kitzhaber was a convicted
murderer on death row, Gary Haugen. Haugen argued Kitzhaber should follow the
law and let him be executed.

In a phone interview with KATU's Steve Dunn earlier in the week - the same day
Brown was inaugurated - Haugen said she hopes the new governor will "follow the
will of the people and follow the law."

On education, Brown said she was committed to reducing class sizes and
stabilizing funding, but she deflected on a question whether she favors keeping
in place Kitzhaber's creation: the Oregon Education Investment Board.

She is now the chair of that board, which Kitzhaber envisioned as an
overarching entity that would work to streamline the education system from
birth to career. It was one of his top policy initiatives.

The Legislature this year will decide whether to keep the board or let it die.

Transparency was one of her mainstays as secretary of state, and many people
view the lack of it got Kitzhaber in trouble, which eventually forced him to
resign last week amid a whirlwind scandal involving his fiancee, Cylvia Hayes.
Newspapers, especially KATU's news partners at Willamette Week, published story
after story detailing Hayes' private contracts that appeared to create a
conflict of interest within the governor's office.

As she did during her inaugural speech, Brown pledged to be open with
Oregonians.

"I will run an inclusive and transparent administration that???s focused on how
to do what's best for Oregonians. I want to hear from all sides," she said.

She said she and her husband, Dan Little, are excited about moving into the
governor's mansion, Mahonia Hall.

"The downside is that I don't have a dog at this time, so I won't be able to
join in all the dog parties that apparently happen," she said.

**************************

Death row inmate Haugen wants Gov. Brown to follow the law

2-time convicted murderer and death row inmate Gary Haugen wanted former Gov.
John Kitzhaber to let his execution go forward.

But in November 2011, Kitzhaber, a death penalty opponent, issued a moratorium
on all executions while he was in office. Now that Kitzhaber has resigned, amid
an ethics scandal surrounding his fiancee, Cylvia Hayes, Haugen said he wants
Kitzhaber's successor Gov. Kate Brown to "follow the will of the people and
follow the law."

The law right now allows for the death penalty.

Haugen made his statements in a phone call he initiated with KATU's anchor
Steve Dunn on Wednesday, the same day Kitzhaber stepped down and Brown took his
place.

Haugen said he wants Brown to "not just pick and choose the pieces of the law
you wanna follow or not."

Just weeks before Haugen was supposed to be executed by lethal injection in
2011, Kitzhaber declared that he wouldn't let anyone be executed on his watch
as governor.

Haugen challenged Kitzhaber in court, saying he wanted to die, and his case
went before the Oregon Supreme Court where justices ultimately ruled the
governor had the authority to deny Haugen's wish to be executed.

Kitzhaber's moratorium expires 20 days after he leaves office unless Brown
chooses to extend it.

"I'm still waiting," Haugen said, expressing displeasure that he believes he's
been in limbo on the taxpayer's dime. "I said (Kitzhaber's) not going to do
anything. He's just doing this out of ego."

Ultimately, Haugen said he wished Kitzhaber would have pardoned him as he left
office.

"I mean, why not? The guy issued an unprecedented reprieve on me, which could
have lasted up to 7 years or even longer, depending on whatever Kate decides to
do, and a reprieve is a gift. It's a thing of grace you grant for some noble
act ... and he did nothing, he just sat me here all wrapped up in Charlotte's
Web wondering, geez, is this guy ever going to get around to following the
people's will or is he going to do who knows? ... "I don't know what I did to
deserve a reprieve, let alone an act of grace up until he supposedly left
office," Haugen said. "Why not just pardon me? But what he did was he didn't do
anything."

(source for both: KATU news)

*********************

Oregonians need to tackle death-penalty debate

Death penalty opponents were disappointed Wednesday morning when Gov. John
Kitzhaber slunk out of office without commuting the sentences of the 33 men and
1 woman on Oregon's death row.

His inaction should not have surprised them. Despite Kitzhaber's stated
revulsion over capital punishment, he took 1 - and only 1 - bold move with
regards to Oregon's death penalty system. In November 2011, he stayed the
planned execution of inmate Gary Haugen. Choking up at times, the governor who
had twice previously presided over the lethal injections of death-row prisoners
vowed he would allow no more executions on his watch and denounced Oregon's
costly death-penalty system for failing "to meet basic standards of justice."

Kitzhaber then followed up his impassioned speech with... silence. Even after
Rep. Mitch Greenlick, D-Portland, introduced legislation in 2013 that would
refer a constitutional amendment abolishing the death penalty to voters,
Kitzhaber largely stayed out of the picture. When the bill came up for a
hearing in the House Judiciary Committee, Kitzhaber sent a letter. The governor
was out of town, Greenlick said. The bill died in committee.

In the 3 years since Haugen's reprieve, however, the death-penalty machinery
has kept running. Oregon's death row added a new inmate, David Ray Taylor. A
longtime inmate, Allen Gary Zweigart, died of natural causes. Another death row
prisoner, Travis Lee Gibson, is now serving a life sentence after his death
sentence was vacated in 2012. And inmate Robert Langley, whose
multimillion-dollar case has been back and forth to the Oregon Supreme Court,
has been sentenced to death for the 1987 murder of Anne Louise Gray -- for a
4th time.

But the immediate issue is what happens to Haugen, who had volunteered for
execution in 2011 as a way to protest a legal system he considered corrupt. His
request forced Kitzhaber's hand in the first place, but the reprieve dissolved
with the governor's departure from office.

The next move is up to the state, but it is also unclear what path Haugen wants
to pursue. He told The Oregonian/OregonLive editorial board in a phone call
that part of him wants to proceed with the execution as a way to continue his
protest. After all, he noted, what has changed? What has Kitzhaber's reprieve
accomplished?

There are other reasons for Oregonians to consider once again whether they want
to keep a legally flawed system that costs millions to administer but results
in a life sentence for the vast majority of inmates.

Nationally, the mood toward the death penalty has shifted. Washington's
governor declared a moratorium on executions in 2014, and Pennsylvania's
governor similarly imposed a stay just this month.

With manufacturers refusing to make one of the drugs often used in lethal
injections, states have revised their drug protocols -- raising questions of
their role in recent botched executions. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has
asked states to hold off on executions until the U.S. Supreme Court rules on an
appeal from Oklahoma inmates challenging the constitutionality of its lethal
injection drug protocol.

And, as always, there is the question of innocence. In the past 3 years, 11
inmates across the country who had been sentenced to die have been exonerated,
according to the Death Penalty Information Center, a nonprofit research group
whose board members oppose the death penalty. Mistakes occur in Oregon's legal
system as well, from the quality of legal representation to the improper
introduction of evidence.

Is Oregon ready to vote on a ballot measure? Greenlick, who has reintroduced
his abolition bill for the 2015 session, told The Oregonian/OregonLive
editorial board that he is unsure whether legislators will support it. And, as
in 2013, it's unclear whether activist groups have the fundraising and
organizational capacity to champion a campaign.

Still, he said, it's long past time to have the conversation, adding that he
believes voters would approve abolition if the campaign could raise enough
money to explain its reasons. "That's a big if," he said.

In his commanding November 2011 speech, Kitzhaber noted that lawyers, judges,
victims' families and others agreed that the death-penalty system was broken.

"But we have done nothing," he said at the time. "We have avoided the
question."

It's as if he could see into the next 3 years of his governorship and was
summing up his own accomplishments on the death penalty front. It's time for
the Legislature and Oregonians to move the conversation forward. We have
avoided the question for too long.

(source: The Oregonian/OregonLive editorial board)

WASHINGTON:

Death penalty challenge going nowhere this year

A bill to abolish the state's death penalty died Thursday.

The state House Judiciary Committee did not address the bill Thursday, which
was the last day that the committee will meet this week. Friday is the cut-off
deadline for getting policy-only bills out of committee for any further
consideration during the 2015 legislative session.

Committee chair Rep. Laurie Jinkins, D-Tacoma, said the general public is not
ready to repeal the death penalty, and the bill's purpose this session was to
promote public discussion on the topic. The thought is that discussion can
prepare the way for a more receptive public in the future. She said the
strategy is similar to the public gradually becoming more receptive to gay
marriage.

A bipartisan group of four representatives had introduced the bill. A Wednesday
committee hearing on the subject brought strong support for repealing the death
penalty. Only the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs
testified against the bill, which was introduced by Reps. Reuven Carlyle,
D-Seattle, Maureen Walsh, R-Walla Walla, Tina Orwall, D-Des Moines, and Chad
Magendanz, R-Issaquah.

On Wednesday, Carlyle, Walsh, Orwall and Magendanz argued that imposing the
death penalty is prohibitively expensive, and they pointed to the chance of
erroneously sending an innocent person to death row.

9 people are on the state's death row. A year ago, Gov. Jay Inslee declared a
moratorium on executions that will last until he leaves office. Some death
penalty opponents have criticized his approach as failing to resolve the
question.

(source: Kitsap Sun)

***********************

Bill to abolish death penalty doesn't pass out of committee

An effort to abolish the death penalty in Washington state isn't moving forward
in the Legislature this year.

House Bill 1739, which received a public hearing this week, was scheduled for a
vote in the House Judiciary Committee Thursday, but it was not brought up for a
vote on the last day before a key policy bill deadline. The chairwoman of the
committee said she's personally supportive of the bill, but said that she
didn't think this was the right time to move forward with it.

The measure would have replaced capital punishment with life in prison, with no
opportunity for parole. It also would have required those convicted to work in
prison in order to pay restitution to victims' families.

Last year, Gov. Jay Inslee issued a moratorium on capital punishment for as
long as he's in office.

It's time to kill the death penalty

Following multiple botched executions in Oklahoma, the Supreme Court asked the
state to halt executions until the court could review the process.

This week, the soon-to-be outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder proposed taking
it a step further at a National Press event.

Holder called for a nationwide moratorium on executions until "fundamental
questions" are asked.

This case in particular has been focused on whether lethal injection protocols
are consistent with the Constitutional abolishment of cruel and unusual
punishment.

But I would argue the court - and the country as a whole - should cast a wider
net on the death penalty issue.

The legal developments of recent years regarding capital punishment should be
enough to justify a more comprehensive review of the death penalty and how it
is used.

Though questioning whether lethal injection is a proper way of carrying out the
death penalty is important - as is questioning the virtue of having the death
penalty at all - I would point to a question with much larger implications.

Is the death penalty levied unfairly against the poor and minorities?

And if it is, can we justify its existence at all?

Since Northwestern University's law school began evaluating and defending
capital punishment cases through the Bluhm Legal Clinic, revelations about the
legitimacy of death penalty convictions have been called into question.

The center has helped to exonerate several inmates and found 5.6 percent of
convictions in Illinois alone were eventually overturned during a 25 year
period.

Further, questions of why some receive the death penalty and others don't for