[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, PENN., S.C., GA., FLA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Feb 17 13:04:21 CST 2015

Feb. 17

FEBRUARY 17, 2015:

TEXAS:

Witnesses Against a British Grandmother on Death Row Say Texas Prosecutors
Blackmailed Them Into Testimony

Key witnesses against a British grandmother on death row in Texas have claimed
that prosecutors in her 2002 trial intimidated, threatened, and blackmailed
them into testifying against her, raising serious questions about a conviction
which has been long protested by campaigners and the UK government.

Linda Carty was convicted for the kidnap and murder of her 25-year-old neighbor
Joana Rodriguez, who was abducted along with her 4-day-old son by 3 men in May
2001. The baby was found alive, yet Rodriguez was found suffocated in the boot
of a car. It was claimed during the trial that Carty had hired the gang of men
to steal the child so that she could raise him as her own. According to the
Houston Chronicle, the 3 men who abducted Rodriguez and her child all had
criminal records, but only Carty was prosecuted for capital murder.

Carty, now 56, has been on death row ever since. The US Supreme Court refused
her appeal in May 2010.

Carty has always maintained her innocence, and campaign groups, as well as the
British government, have highlighted serious flaws in her trial. According to
human rights organization Reprieve, Carty was forced to accept a
court-appointed lawyer, Gerald Guerinot, whose poor professional reputation has
been covered in detail by the New York Times and whose astonishing tally of
clients given the death penalty has been described by the American Bar
Association Journal as a "possible record" in modern times. The British
government complained that they were not notified of Carty's case, and that
there was "ineffective assistance of counsel." It raised the issue with the
then governor of Texas, Rick Perry, during his visit to the UK in 2013.

Yet it has now emerged that key witnesses have stepped forward with affidavits,
signed in 2014, which allege that they testified against Carty because of
intimidation, threats and blackmail from Harris County prosecutors. Christopher
Robinson, who was arrested in connection to the case and was the only person to
testify that he had seen Carty commit the murder, said that Texan District
Attorneys Connie Spence and Craig Goodhart had "threatened me and intimidated
me, telling me I would get the death penalty myself if Linda Carty did not get
the death penalty." The affidavit, available via the Houston Chronicle, goes
onto say that "they (Spence and Goodhart) were alternating between coaching me
and threatening me to get me to say their version."

Former Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agent Charles Mathis also produced
an affidavit, stating that Carty worked as a confidential informant for him.
The affidavit alleges: "Shortly after the initial investigation I was contacted
by DA (District Attorney) Connie Spence. Spence called me on the telephone and
I told Spence that I did not want to testify against Linda."

The affidavit goes on to state: "I told Spence that I had known Linda for a
long time and I knew that Linda did not have it in her to kill anyone. Spence
provided me with no option to testify against Linda: Spence threatened me with
an invented affair that I was supposed to have with Linda."

A spokesman for the Harris County District Attorney's Office told VICE News:
"We are not commenting on the allegations or the case at this time due to
pending litigation."

In light of the new testimony, Carty's lawyers are asking for an evidentiary
hearing, a request being considered by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

Clare Algar, executive director of Reprieve said: "If Linda is not granted a
new hearing, she faces the death penalty based on lies extracted by prosecutors
desperate to secure an execution at any cost. The behavior of prosecutors in
this case has been so appalling it takes the breath away. They have stooped to
targeting the marriage of one witness with invented slurs, while using the
threat of death to force another to produce the lies they needed for
conviction. Linda's last hope is that Texas recognizes that she deserves a new
- and this time fair - trial."

A former teacher, Carty was born in St. Kitts when it was a British colony, and
holds a UK passport.

A spokesman for the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office told VICE News: "While we
respect the USA's right to bring those convicted of a crime to justice, the UK
is deeply opposed to the use of the death penalty in all circumstances.

"In Linda Carty's case, we have additional, deep concerns about how this case
was handled. We were not notified of her detention until after she had been
convicted and sentenced to death. We also strongly believe her defense was very
weak.

"We will continue to support Linda's case and remain in close contact with her
legal team."

According to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, seven women are
currently on death row, including Carty. Its website boasts that "Texas leads
the nation in the number of executions since the death penalty was reinstated
in 1976."

(source: vice.com)

************************

Death penalty violates human rights, fails to serve purpose

The death penalty in the United States has failed as a form of punishment in
the criminal justice system.

If a country is going to use the death penalty, it should be reserved for those
who commit an act of terror against the state, not for person on person or
property crimes.

Texas is a prime example of how the death penalty has failed.

11 years ago, former Gov. Rick Perry sentenced Cameron Willingham to the death
penalty. Willingham was convicted of setting his home on fire, killing his
daughters.

When new evidence had come up indicating that Willingham was not responsible
for the murders, there was a petition for a stay of execution, which Perry
refused to grant.

Willingham was executed. Since his execution, evidence has been confirmed
clearing Willingham for causing the fire.

Wrongful convictions are not rare; having incarceration as the primary method
of punishment, however, makes it easier to amend a wrongful conviction.

You cannot undo the death penalty.

The death penalty, if used, should be used as a last resort, which is currently
not the case.

There should be a lot more scrutiny on the injections being administered to
convicts receiving the death penalty. Currently, the cocktail in use is a
3-drug method, which could be switched out for a single drug method that would
help eliminate risks associated with the current cocktail.

Risks associated with the cocktail include reports that, following
administration, convicts often writhe or make sounds that indicate pain.

It also takes a considerable amount of time for this 3-drug method cocktail to
kill the convict; some cocktails have taken up to 2 hours.

Take for example Robert Ladd, a convicted murderer who was considered
intellectually disabled, executed on Jan. 29. He died 27 minutes after the
administration of the pentobarbital.

Manufacturers of the cocktail are primarily based in Europe and are closing
down because they do not agree that the drugs are not being used in accordance
with medical indications.

Some manufacturers also do not want their drugs being used in departments of
corrections in the United States.

As more and more manufacturers of the cocktail are closing down, it would
behoove states to look at the financial cost of these lethal injections versus
incarceration.

There have been recent discussions in Europe about reinstating the death
penalty. I believe this is a reactionary response to the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

It would be unfair to presume that the use of the death penalty would fail in
Europe just because it has failed in the United States, but I still do not
envision the death penalty being successful in Europe.

The European Union (EU) has acknowledged the death penalty as being a violation
of human rights for a very long time, and this ethical and moral foundation is
very ingrained in the various legal systems there.

There are also several treaties made in France that would be broken if they
adopted any form of death penalty.

The world believes the death penalty is wrong. Our government should too.

It is unlikely that Texas will do away with the death penalty. However, there
has to be substantial revisions made to the administration of this capital
punishment across the board. These revisions include decreasing the amount of
wrongful convictions, as well as finding a better method by which we ascertain
the lethal injection.

The death penalty is ineffective and becoming increasingly more inhumane due to
a lack of transparency in the process.

The discourse surrounding the death penalty needs to work on a transition into
other methods of punishment, or perhaps disbanding lethal injection as a whole.

(source: Bryanna Esdtrada, hilltopviewsonline.com)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Hugo Selenski's lawyers, citing moratorium, say no death penalty

Lawyers for Hugo Selenski, the man convicted of strangling 2 people during a
2002 robbery, asked a judge on Tuesday to bar jurors from considering the death
penalty in his trial because Pennsylvania's governor has declared a moratorium.

Selenski's defense team filed its motion just before the penalty phase of his
capital murder trial was scheduled to open and 4 days after Gov. Tom Wolf
declared a moratorium on the death penalty in Pennsylvania.

Wolf, who took office last month, called the current system of capital
punishment "error prone, expensive and anything but infallible" and said the
moratorium will remain in effect at least until he receives a report from a
legislative commission that has been studying the topic for several years.
Selenski's motion asked Luzerne County Common Pleas Judge Fred Pierantoni III
to remove the death penalty as a sentencing option or, alternatively, to delay
the penalty phase indefinitely.

"As the sole elected official responsible for signing execution warrants, the
Governor's words and actions are compelling and reinforce the various
imperfections of Pennsylvania's capital sentencing system under both state and
federal constitutional principles," the motion said.

The death penalty remains on the books in Pennsylvania, and it wasn't
immediately clear whether the judge has the ability to preclude jurors from
considering it. Prosecutors and defense lawyers were still meeting in the
judge's chambers Tuesday hours after the penalty phase of Selenski's trial was
supposed to begin.

Pennsylvania has executed only 3 people since the U.S. Supreme Court restored
the death penalty in 1976. All 3 had voluntarily given up their appeals. The
last execution took place in 1999.

Law enforcement groups are considering a legal challenge to Wolf's moratorium.

Selenski was convicted last week on 2 counts of 1st-degree murder in the deaths
of pharmacist Michael Kerkowski and his girlfriend, Tammy Fassett. Prosecutors
said Selenski and another man killed the couple in a plot to rob the pharmacist
of tens of thousands of dollars from an illegal prescription drug ring.

Police found the victims' bodies, along with 3 other sets of human remains, on
Selenski's property north of Wilkes-Barre in 2003.

(source: The Morning Call)

*************************

Death penalty already dying

When Gov. Tom Wolf imposed a moratorium on the death penalty last week, he
merely formalized reality. Fact is, there hasn't been an execution in
Pennsylvania in 15 years.

Since 1978, when the death penalty was reinstated by the Supreme Court, only 3
prisoners have been executed in this state out of 412 death sentences. And the
3 prisoners who were executed all waived at least part of their appeals and
asked to be put to death.

Here's more reality: 60 % of all death sentences in Pennsylvania - 250 at last
count - have been overturned by state or federal courts. And if the pool of
death sentences is restricted to those who completed ordinary appeals, the
reversal rate is more than 90 %.

So, the fact of the matter is that the death penalty in Pennsylvania exists on
paper only. In imposing a moratorium, Wolf cited more realities, calling the
current system of capital punishment "error prone, expensive and anything but
infallible."

He's right.

That so many sentences have been overturned by higher courts speaks to a system
riddled with errors and, in its application, injustice. Numerous studies
clearly indicate that racial minorities and the poor receive death sentences at
a significantly higher rate than others convicted of capital crimes. And those
sentences, as the appeals courts have found, often are related to inadequate
legal representation at trial.

What's more, unimpeachable DNA evidence has provided a clear and troubling
picture of just how flawed the system is, as scores of wrongly convicted people
have been released from prisons across the nation - excluding those who,
hauntingly, were put to death.

Making the situation all the more nightmarish is the cost of the death penalty.

Using data from a Maryland study, which concluded that death penalty cases cost
$1.9 million more than cases involving life sentences, the Reading Eagle
newspaper estimated in a 2014 series that the 185 people then on death row cost
Pennsylvania taxpayers an additional $351.5 million. And that's a conservative
estimate, because the figure didn't include overturned cases.

Finally, the prestigious National Research Council, based on a review of more
than three decades of research, concluded the death penalty hasn't had a
deterrent effect on murder rates despite other studies to the contrary. And so
the council urges that such studies, which it determined to be flawed, not be
used to guide public policy about capital punishment.

What emerges as the new public policy in Pennsylvania will, in part, be
determined by a report from a legislative commission that has been studying the
issue for about 4 years. That and Wolf's reasoned declaration that if the state
"is going take the irrevocable step of executing a human being, its capital
sentencing system must be infallible."

Nothing less should be acceptable.

(source: Editorial, Bucks County Courier Times)

******************************

Governor Calls for Halt on Death Penalty in Frein Case

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf's call for a halt on the death penalty won't
keep the Pike County district attorney from seeking the punishment against
accused cop killer Eric Frein.

Frein is accused of the ambush shooting last September which killed 1
Pennsylvania State Trooper and injured another.

Pike County DA Raymond Tonkin released a statement saying if Frein is found
guilty he will still ask the jury to weigh the aggravating circumstances.

Tonkin had filed notice to seek the death penalty in January.

Wolf's moratorium will stay in effect until a state Senate committee's study on
the punishment is finished.

(source: WICZ News)

*******************

Goal isn't vengeance

The Old Testament's recommendation of an "eye for an eye" to compensate an
injured party has been cited over the ages by proponents of capital punishment.
Meanwhile, death penalty opponents note the New Testament's directive to set
aside the desire for retribution and "turn the other cheek" when slapped.

No biblical debate is required, however, to determine the value of capital
punishment. There is more than enough empirical evidence to show that the
practice is neither fair nor cost-effective and that it fails to deter violent
crime.

No wonder most countries no longer sentence prisoners to death. It's a shame
that the United States not only still executes prisoners, but is listed among
the rogues' gallery of the 5 countries with the most executions since 2010,
which also includes China, Iran, North Korea, and Yemen.

That unsavory distinction could go away if more states abolish the death
penalty. New Jersey did in 2007, and Pennsylvania took a giant step in that
direction last week, when Gov. Wolf suspended all executions pending the
release of a state task force's report on capital punishment.

Wolf made it clear that he wasn't motivated by sympathy for death-row inmates,
including Terrance Williams, who was scheduled for execution on March 4 for a
1984 murder. "I take this action because the capital punishment system has
significant and widely recognized defects," Wolf said.

Perhaps the biggest defect is the death penalty's fallibility. Evidence
revealed after conviction has led to the exoneration of some 150 people
sentenced to die in this country since 1973. No one knows how many of the 1,200
people executed during that period were also innocent.

Racial bias is a factor in imposition of the death penalty. A 2007 Yale study
showed that black defendants were 3 times more likely to be sentenced to death
than whites when victims were white. An American Bar Association study that
year concluded that 1/3 of Philadelphia death-row inmates would have been
sentenced to life in prison instead if they were white.

Of course, a death sentence rarely means death. Pennsylvania has executed only
3 people since the penalty was reinstated 40 years ago, and all had voluntarily
abandoned further appeals. 2 of the 186 people still on the state's death row
have been there more than 30 years, and one has been scheduled for execution 6
times. Shouldn't that qualify as "cruel and unusual" punishment?

But it's not just cruel to prisoners spending year after year in mortal limbo;
it's cruel to the families of victims. The certainty of a life sentence might
not be as satisfying for those who seek vengeance for their pain, but it would
keep them from having to relive their tragedies each time a defendant is due
for appeal.

States without the death penalty have lower murder rates, and after reducing
lengthy appeals and cutting incarceration costs, they also have more money for
education and other budget needs. Those facts are expected to be corroborated
by the task force report, giving Pennsylvania all the evidence it needs to end
capital punishment.

(source: Editorial, Philadelphia Inquirer)

SOUTH CAROLINA:

WIS Investigates: Is the death penalty on hold in South Carolina?

It was September 1991. A crowd cheered as the body of the most notorious serial
killer in modern South Carolina history, Donald "Pee Wee" Gaskins, was taken
from Columbia's Broad River Correctional Institution. On that day, Gaskins
became the fourth death row inmate to be executed since the reauthorization of
capital punishment in the Palmetto State.

During the next 2 decades, 39 more men would follow Gaskins sometimes in rapid
succession. There were 19 over 4 years beginning in 1996, but scenes like this
are now rare.

In the last nearly 6 years, just 1 inmate has entered the death chamber at
Broad River Correctional Institution. S.C. Department of Corrections Director
Bryan Stirling is not expecting that number to change anytime soon.

"There are no current orders for execution," Stirling said. "Everything is
under appeal at this time."

Experts say it's not that prosecutors here or elsewhere have become reluctant
to seek death sentences.

"We have found that generally on average the state across the country seeks
death in approximately 17 cases a year," said Emily Paavola, of the S.C. Death
Penalty Resource and Defense Center. "And we have not found that to decline in
recent years."

Even opponents of capital punishment say they don't see that public opinion has
turned against it in this state.

"I think our state is still predominantly in favor of capital punishment," said
Charles Grose, of the S.C. Death Penalty Resource and Defense Center.

But several factors have combined to virtually shut down the death house.

Among them are advances in DNA technology, legal rulings protecting inmates
with severe mental disorders, and most recently, the inability of states
executing by lethal injection to get one or more of the drugs they use. That is
a problem in South Carolina.

"Right now, what we're doing is we are looking and reaching out to pharmacies
and suppliers et cetera to try to find pentobarbital," Stirling said. "We have
thus far not been successful at that."

Pentobarbital is an anesthetic - the 1st component of a 3-drug series that also
includes a paralyzer, pancuronium bromide and potassium chloride, which stops
the heart. South Carolina had been using a different anesthetic, such as sodium
thiopental, until the Drug Enforcement Administration cracked down on the use
of that foreign-made ingredient in 2011.

"The opponents of the death penalty have been very good at stopping states from
obtaining the necessary drugs to carry out an execution," Stirling said.

But it's not a drug shortage that's kept Tommy Sease and his family frustrated
for more than 30 years.

"We think about how she suffered. And we just don't feel like the justice
system has worked here," Sease said.

Sease is the nephew of Newberry County schoolteacher Elizabeth Sease Lominack,
who was robbed, raped, and murdered in her Pomaria home in 1982. Her killer is
Fred Singleton, who went to death row a year later. He is still there, and his
sentence blocked by a 1991 court ruling that determined Singleton was mentally
incapacitated.

"We feel like -- I mean our family's been violated," Sease said.

Sease said his family and many in the Newberry area believe capital punishment
is a deterrent to others who would commit serious crimes, if it is carried out
after appeals are exhausted within a reasonable amount of time.

While Singleton is the longest serving death row inmate, there are others among
the 42 residents with sentences dating back to the 80's. They include Jamie
Wilson, who shocked the nation in 1988 by gunning down 11 people, killing 2 in
a Greenwood elementary school. He pleaded guilty, but mentally ill - the 1st in
South Carolina to be sentenced under that statute.

"The way we do capital punishment is absurd," said Bob McAlister, opponent of
the death penalty.

McAlister said seemingly endless delays in the capital punishment system are
troubling. He says that from the perspective of a counselor, who opposes the
death penalty and has dealt closely with inmates, like spree killer Ronald
"Rusty" Woomer.

Woomer was executed in the electric chair in 1990, with the former chief of
staff to Gov. Carroll Campbell as a witness.

"If a society decides that's the right thing to do, then there should be a
mechanism whereby the case can be vetted through the court system in something
less than 20 or 30 years," McAlister said.

Paavola agrees.

"It should not take 30 years before you have some sort of closure in a criminal
case, and I think that is the product of a system, which is broken," she
explained. "And I think it's broken beyond repair. We cannot fix it in a way
that will address those needs of quick closure and also provide for the kind of
reliability that is necessary when we take another person's life."

South Carolina law allowed the condemned inmate a choice on whether they die by
lethal injection or electrocution, if the inmate makes that choice in writing
at least 14 days prior to the execution date.

(source: WIS news)

GEORGIA----impending female execution

Georgia Set To Execute 5th Person In A Year

Georgia is set to execute a woman on death row next week. This would be the 5th
inmate put to death in the state within the past year.

According to the Death Penalty Information Center, Georgia is among the top in
the nation for carrying out its death sentences. The scheduled execution of
Kelly Gissendaner would be the third since January.

"It's a little unusual given that Georgia's only sentencing 1 or 2 people a
year to death," Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty
Information Center, said.

Dieter said in the 1990s, juries handed out more death sentences than they do
now.

"In a given year, you sometimes have older cases that were delayed for other
reasons now occurring," Dieter said.

According to the Georgia Department of Corrections website, Georgia currently
has 81 inmates on death row.

But Dieter said it's not the number that determines when executions happen. For
example, North Carolina has more death row inmates than Georgia, but hasn't
executed anyone in about 8 years. Dieter said it's about political consensus in
a state.

"If the courts are hesitant, if the governor is hesitant, if the legislature is
hesitant - any one of those can really slow down a process," he said.

In Georgia, the process slowed down for about a year starting in the summer of
2013 because of a lawsuit challenging the state's lethal injection secrecy law
that keeps providers of the drug anonymous. The Georgia Supreme Court then
upheld the law in May 2014 and executions resumed.

The Georgia Department of Corrections said it would not comment on executions.
A clemency hearing has been set for Gissendaner on Feb. 24.

(source: WABE news)

FLORIDA:

State Attorney Jeff Ashton to seek death penalty in 2002 murder
case----Demorris Andy Hunter charged with 1st-degree murder

A Central Florida state attorney has filed notice that his office will seek the
death penalty in a 13-year-old murder case.

Ninth District State Attorney Jeff Ashton's office filed a notice of intent on
Friday in the case of Demorris Andy Hunter.

Hunter was charged with 1st-degree murder in the death of Teresa Ann Green.

Green was reported missed from her Orlando home on May 27, 2002, and found dead
that evening in the trunk of her car.

Hunter is currently serving a life sentence in a March 2002 death of an
Oakland, California woman.

He was extradited from a California prison last week to Orange County.

No future court date has been set.

(source: WESH news)