[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----FLA., ALA., OHIO, KY., COLO., CALIF.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Dec 4 12:05:00 CST 2015

Dec. 4

FLORIDA:

3rd death sentence for Dontae Morris

A Hillsborough judge on Friday handed down a 3rd death penalty sentence for
convicted cop killer Dontae Morris, who could face yet another murder trial in
the coming year.

Morris, 30, who is currently on death row for the murders of 2 Tampa police
officers in 2010, was convicted earlier this year of fatally shooting Derek
Anderson. In July, a jury voted 10-2 to recommend a sentence of death and on
Friday, Circuit Judge William Fuente agreed.

Upon hearing the sentence, Anderson's mother, Wanda Gilchrist, burst into
tears.

"This is such a relief," she said as the courtroom emptied and Morris was led
back to a holding cell.

More than 5 years have elapsed since Gilchrist found her 20-year-old son
bleeding outside her front door on May 18, 2010. His attacker had shot him once
in the back as he was carrying his laundry to his mother's East Tampa
apartment.

Prosecutors said that Morris killed Anderson after learning that he had been
selling marijuana in an area that Morris considered to be his territory.

"I knew they had a lot of evidence, so I was being very, very patient," she
said of the prosecution. "And finally it came to a close and I'm happy about
it."

Anderson was murdered 42 days before Morris shot and killed Tampa Police
Officers David Curtis and Jeffrey Kocab, a crime that was captured on video and
turned him into one of the Tampa Bay area's most notorious murderers. Before
voting to recommend the death penalty, jurors in the Anderson case viewed the
dashboard camera video from Curtis' patrol cruiser, which recorded the moment
Morris pointed a gun in the officers' faces, killing them both.

Charged with 4 murders, Morris has been convicted of 3 and is awaiting trial
for the June 8, 2010, killing of Harold Wright. Prosecutors have not said
whether they intend to seek the death penalty.

Of the 4 cases, the Wright case is the "weakest," said attorney Byron Hileman,
who has represented Morris in each case.

There is none of the video evidence or eye witness testimony that prosecutors
have been able to rely on in previous cases, Hileman said.

"It can't say the case is not prosecutable," he said, "but it's not as strong
as this one was."

Efforts by Morris' attorneys to overturn his death penalty sentences have so
far been unsuccessful. But a recent decision by the U.S. Supreme Court to take
up a case involving Florida's unusual capital sentencing scheme may be their
best hope.

The federal case, Hurst v. Florida, concerns a man who was sentenced to death
in 2012 by a jury vote of 7-5. Unlike in every other state, Florida juries are
not required to render a unanimous verdict in capital cases. The ultimate
decision rests with the judge, who can accept the jury's recommendation or
reject it.

Lawyers for Timothy Hurst have argued this system presents serious
constitutional problems. If they are successful, the case could pave the way
for judges to reconsider other non-unanimous jury verdicts, such as that in
Morris' most recent murder trial.

(soruce: Tampa Bay Times)

ALABAMA:

Faith can help restore racial justice, says lawyer who frees death row inmates,
marks lynching sites

Bryan Stevenson, attorney and founder of the Equal Justice Initiative in
Montgomery, has led a high-profile campaign to help overturn convictions of the
wrongly accused, such as his client Anthony Ray Hinton.

Hinton was exonerated of a murder charge and released from prison April 3 after
30 years on death row.

"There are still lots of innocent people in prison," Stevenson said in an
interview with AL.com. "It's hard to know. One would be too many and I think
it's a lot more than that."

Stevenson, who has helped free 115 men from death row, campaigns for prison
reform to curb mass incarceration, excessive punishment and abuses such as
guards assaulting women inmates at Tutwiler Prison.

"We're still very concerned about the high number of innocent people in our
prisons," Stevenson said. "We still have a harsh, extreme punishment
structure."

He's currently on a campaign to put historical markers on the sites of
lynchings, including one that happened in Brighton in 1908. "We haven't done as
much as we could about our history of racial injustice," he said.

Speaking at church

Stevenson is the author of the highly acclaimed book, "Just Mercy: A Story of
Justice and Redemption," published last year and named one of the 10 best
non-fiction books of the year by Time magazine.

Stevenson will discuss racial justice and other issues on Sunday night, Dec. 6,
at Highlands United Methodist Church at Five Points South in Birmingham. He'll
speak at 6:30 p.m.

"I'm interested in talking about things I think we can all do to improve social
justice and protect people in our society who are vulnerable and at risk,"
Stevenson said.

"We have to spend time getting closer to the problems," he said. "We have a
habit of avoiding issues that are problems, neighborhoods that are struggling,
school systems where there are big problems. Our instinct is to stay as far
away from those problems as possible. We try to problem-solve from too great a
distance."

Obstacles to prison reform

Alabama's prison system is plagued with problems including overcrowding and
corruption that have led to threats of a takeover by the U.S. Department of
Justice.

"The politics of fear and anger have produced some bad policies with regard to
social justice," Stevenson said.

"Hope is the enemy of injustice," he said. "We've got to protect our hope and
be thinking hopefully about what we can be doing. You can't create justice by
doing only what's comfortable and convenient."

The biggest obstacle to prison reform is not the constraints of the state
budget, he said.

"I don't think the biggest problem is money," Stevenson said. "I think there
are different policies we can make. If we stop putting people in prison for
simple possession of drugs, I think we can reduce the prison population by
several thousand people who are not a threat."

He feels wardens could identify thousands of non-violent prisoners would be no
threat to society.

"That's a policy issue; that's not a money issue," he said. "We can save
millions by reducing the prison population. Leadership is part of the
challenge. We need skilled, committed leaders."

Stevenson has filed a lawsuit against the St. Clair Correctional Facility for
what he says is mistreatment of inmates.

"I hope people of faith will not abandon their faith when it comes to social
justice."

"All we want is what they should want - safe prisons where people don't get
stabbed," Stevenson said.

"At Tutwiler, we want a prison where corrupt guards aren't assaulting inmates.
We want better leadership and a commitment to running the prison in a more
humane way."

Possession of 2.2 pounds of marijuana is a Class A felony in Alabama - "the
same as murder, terrorism or rape," Stevenson said. In other states where
marijuana is illegal it would take 100 pounds of possession to reach the level
of a felony, he said. There's no reason to overcrowd prisons with drug
offenders, he said.

"No one can credibly make that argument," he said.

Remembering lynchings, history of race injustice

Stevenson said he plans to unveil a historical marker Dec. 12 in Brighton on
the site of the 1908 lynching of William Miller, a black union leader in the
coal mines who was put in jail and blamed for a dynamite explosion set by
whites trying to thwart unionization.

"The way to disrupt unionization was to target black leaders of coal miners,"
he said. "People were offended at black people organizing for better wages."

The jailing of Miller capitalized on racism to turn sentiment against
unionization, he said.

"A mob went to the jail and lynched him there," Stevenson said.

In conjunction with the unveiling of the marker, high school scholarships will
be awarded for students writing essays about Alabama's racial history.

"We hope at the end of that there's a desire to recognize this history,"
Stevenson said.

Should death penalty should be abolished?

"I think the death penalty should be abolished," Stevenson said. "I don't think
we have a system that reliably and fairly prosecutes people."

"We spend a lot of time trying to execute people that would better spent on
improving administration, reducing crime and creating a functioning system of
justice that is not unfairly biased against people of color and where only the
guilty are convicted."

Role of faith in reform

A former church musician, Stevenson comes from a religious background and he
believes faith can inspire change.

"I do think people of faith have a really critical role to play," said
Stevenson, who grew up playing piano and organ in an African Methodist
Episcopal Church in Delaware. "We've been silent a bit too long on some of
these important issues. I hope people of faith will not abandon their faith
when it comes to social justice. Many of us believe redemption is critical. We
believe in grace, mercy and recovery, but our policies are often contemptuous
of grace, mercy and recovery."

(source: al.com)

OHIO:

Ohio Supreme Court's death penalty reversal makes sense

The Ohio Supreme Court on Tuesday overturned the death sentence of Rayshawn
Johnson in a 4-3 ruling that found a murderer's troubled upbringing, among
other mitigating factors, should carry more weight at sentencing than a lower
court had held.

Ohio Supreme Court cites dysfunctional childhood in reversing death sentence

The court found factors in Rayshawn Johnson's childhood and upbringing were so
bad that when viewed together they were strong enough to warrant setting aside
the death sentence. He was "doomed from the start due to his upbringing,"
Justice Paul Pfeifer wrote.

Johnson, who beat his Cincinnati neighbor to death with a baseball bat in 1997,
had been on death row for 14 years.

In a 2nd mitigation hearing ordered for Johnson (the 1st also resulted in a
death sentence), Johnson's mother acknowledged putting her son in a closet as a
baby and sometimes spiking his bottles and applesauce with alcohol,
prescription drugs and heroin.

Siding with the majority in reversing Johnson's death sentence was Chief
Justice Maureen O'Connor, who in 2006, in the case of Troy Tenace, had opposed
the court's then-precedent-setting ruling that a dysfunctional childhood could
outweigh death-penalty aggravating circumstances.

In the Tenace case, O'Connor, who was not yet chief justice, noted that the
court had reversed death sentences twice previously -- one based on the mental
illness of the defendant and the other on provocation by the victims.

In the Johnson case, O'Connor did not file a separate opinion, so it's not
clear what lay behind her apparent change of heart.

Still, it's reasonable to think that the views of the court are evolving when
it comes to the death penalty. That's a good thing.

As this page has said before, the death penalty is immoral, unfair and a drain
on the taxpayer. It should be abolished.

(source: Editorial, cleveland.com----Editorials express the view of the
editorial board of cleveland.com and The Plain Dealer -- the senior leadership
and editorial-writing staff. As is traditional, editorials are unsigned and
intended to be seen as the voice of the news organization)

KENTUCKY:

Man indicted for murder of 1-year-old in Louisville

A Louisville man has been indicted for murder in connection with the death of a
1-year-old back in September.

Yesterday a Jefferson County grand jury indicted 31-year-old Bradley Hanlon on
the murder of 1-year-old Hannah Jane Fowler.

The indictment states that, "on or about the 25th day of September 2015, in
Jefferson County, Kentucky, the above named defendant, BRADLEY H. HANLON,
committed the offense of Murder by intentionally or under circumstances
manifesting extreme indifference to human life wantonly caused the death of
H.F."

The charge is a capital offense, meaning that Hanlon, if convicted, could face
a punishment ranging from 20 years in prison to the death penalty.

(source: WDRB news)

COLORADO:

The Death Penalty and Robert Dear

I wrote last weekend of some thoughts likely running through District Attorney
Dan May's mind as he contemplates seeking capital punishment against alleged
Planned Parenthood shooter Robert Lewis Dear. Here are some more.

3 black men who committed their murders before age 21 are the only current
occupants of Colorado's death row. This defendant Dear is an older Caucasian.
His victims were from a variety of races.

Death penalty defenders argue the capital punishment system is racist and based
on the race of the perpetrator and/or his victims. Those arguments are
contradicted here. If you don't seek capital punishment against an older white
guy shooting people of color, how can you do so against a younger person of
color?

Not only will Dear's desire to end abortion likely be litigated as part of his
defense to the murder charges, it may be utilized at any death penalty
sentencing phase. Colorado's death penalty law sets forth a statutory
mitigating factor as follows:

The good faith, although mistaken, belief by the defendant that circumstances
existed which constituted a moral justification for the defendant's conduct;

As opposed to a pro-choice jurisdiction such as Denver or Pueblo or Boulder,
would an El Paso County juror be more receptive to this defense argument? That
may mitigate against an attempt at a change of venue. Plenty of Colorado
Springs conservatives may agree with State Representative JoAnn Windholz who
believes Planned Parenthood incited the violence. Or they may have voted for
State Representative Gordon Klingenschmitt who accuses Planned Parenthood of a
Holocaust.

Other statutory mitigating factors that might play out in a Dear death penalty
case that should be considered include include:

The age of the defendant at the time of the crime; or

The defendant's capacity to appreciate wrongfulness of the defendant???s
conduct or to conform the defendant???s conduct to the requirements of law was
significantly impaired, but not so impaired as to constitute a defense to
prosecution; or

The defendant was under unusual and substantial duress, although not such
duress as to constitute a defense to prosecution; or

The defendant could not reasonably have foreseen that the defendant???s conduct
in the course of the commission of the offense for which the defendant was
convicted would cause, or would create a grave risk of causing, death to
another person; or

The emotional state of the defendant at the time the crime was committed; or

The absence of any significant prior conviction; or

The extent of the defendant's cooperation with law enforcement officers or
agencies and with the office of the prosecuting district attorney; or

The influence of drugs or alcohol

Robert Dear surrendered to law enforcement but not till he had shot several of
its members. That surrender was premeditated and demonstrated Dear's desire to
live. This defendant could have pointed his weapon at peace officers and been
shot to death instantaneously, but he chose life.

At least capital punishment remains in the arsenal of the El Paso County
prosecutor. There are more progressive jurisdictions in Colorado (also with
Planned Parenthood facilities) where prosecutors have declared rigid opposition
to capital punishment.

Dan May has some time to think about all this and it could be that a plea
bargain will happen sooner rather than later. Charges will be filed by December
9 and a preliminary hearing to determine probable cause will be set. After that
preliminary hearing is when the defendant will be asked to enter a plea and if
that plea is not guilty, Dan May will have 9 weeks to announce whether capital
punishment will be sought.

The Office of the State Public Defender has entered its appearance and will do
everything it can to save Dear even if he is despicable. Smart money says Dear
will die in prison, but not via execution by the state of Colorado.

(source: Craig Silverman is a partner in the downtown Denver law firm of
Silverman & Olivas, specializing in personal injury law, criminal matters, and
problem solving. He served for 16 years at the Denver District Attorney's
Office where he was a Chief Deputy District Attorney. Craig has appeared
hundreds of times on local and national media on number of wide-ranging topics
and stories including the JonBenet Ramsey case, Columbine, the Oklahoma City
Bombing trials, the Kobe Bryant case, and the Aurora movie theater
massacre----The Complete Colorado)

CALIFORNIA:

S.C. Upholds Death Penalty in Shooting Deaths

The California Supreme Court upheld the death sentence yesterday for a man
convicted of murdering his mother-in-law and brother-in-law in what prosecutors
said was an effort to exact revenge after his wife left him and took their
children.

Micky Ray Cage was sentenced to death by Riverside Superior Court Judge Dennis
A. McConaghy on Nov. 14, 2003 for the shotgun slayings of his estranged wife's
16-year-old brother, David Burgos, and their 50-year-old mother, Burnilda
Montanez, called Bruni, in Moreno Valley on Nov. 9, 1998.

Jurors returned a death penalty verdict after finding Cage guilty of 1st degree
murder with special circumstances of multiple murder and lying in wait.

Witnesses testified that Cage and been terrorizing his wife, Claribel Burgos,
known as Clari, as well as his daughter and other family members, for years.
Not long before the murders, Clari Burgos had taken her children and secretly
traveled to Puerto Rico to stay with extended family members.

There was also testimony that Cage had threatened to injure or kill his
mother-in-law, who was shot in the shoulder, chest, and face when she opened
her front door. Her 16-year-old son was shot in the chest at close range in his
upstairs bedroom.

Defense attorneys argued that the death sentence was an excessive penalty for
what they claimed was a drug- and alcohol-fueled act of impulsive rage. But
Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye, in her opinion for a unanimous court, said
the prosecution had proven otherwise.

She wrote:

"The record reflects that defendant lived with Bruni and her family on and off
since he was a young teenager. To say he consistently abused Bruni's
hospitality is an understatement. The record is replete with evidence that over
the course of many years, he subjected his wife Clari, her brothers, and his
daughter to violent assault and various kinds of mistreatment at Bruni's home,
as well as elsewhere. He threatened and followed through with retaliation when
he did not get his way. When Clari finally left him and took their children
with her, the record reflects that defendant was angry and vengeful. He sought
to harm Clari's family, including Bruni. On the night of the crimes, the record
indicates defendant was not very drunk and only a little high....Defendant was
solely responsible for the brutal killings....He was 30 years old at the time
and had a prior criminal record. The jury could have reasonably rejected
defendant's evidence of mental impairments based on the rebuttal evidence that
defendant had deliberately feigned his mental illness. These circumstances do
not demonstrate that defendant's death sentence is grossly disproportionate to
his personal culpability; it does not shock the conscience nor offend
fundamental notions of human dignity."

The chief justice rejected defense claims of evidentiary error, saying the
trial judge was correct in allowing prosecutors to present evidence of the
defendant's past acts of violence toward, and mistreatment of, his wife and
other family members.

Brushing aside the defense arguments that this was inadmissible evidence of a
propensity toward violence, and that it was irrelevant, cumulative, and
inflammatory, Cantil-Sakauye said the judge properly exercised his discretion
to allow it "principally as evidence of motive, but also to establish identity
and intent."

The chief justice also said the trial judge did not err in allowing Clari
Burgos to testify, in the guilt phase, as to how she reacted when she learned
of the murders and how she reacted when they came to the scene, or in allowing
her surviving brother to explain what he saw when her arrived at the house
after the murders.

Rejecting the defense argument that this was "victim impact" testimony, which
should not have been allowed prior to the guilt phase, the chief justice said
it helped fill in the timeline and explain the context in which the victims
were killed. The testimony "overwhelmingly" established that it was Cage who
committed the murders, she said.

The case is People v. Cage, 15 S.O.S. 5768.

(source: Metropolitan News)