[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, MO., NEB., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Apr 15 23:36:27 CDT 2015

April 15

TEXAS----execution

Texas Executes San Antonio Man for Killing Police Officer

A San Antonio man who fatally shot a SWAT team member with the officer's own
gun more than 14 years ago was executed Wednesday, the sixth convicted murderer
put to death in Texas so far this year.

Manuel Garza Jr. received a lethal injection of pentobarbital for killing San
Antonio Police Officer John "Rocky" Riojas in February 2001. The U.S. Supreme
Court had refused in November to review his case, and no last-day appeals were
filed before his execution.

Asked to make a final statement, Garza said he was sorry for causing pain to
his family, friends and "especially police officers."

"Y'all probably hate me," he said, looking at three friends of his victim,
dressed in their navy blue San Antonio police uniforms. He wished them "peace
and love and hope y'all find God like I have and I'll see you on the other
side."

As the lethal drug began taking effect, Garza uttered: "Here it comes!" His
voice rose as he said "Goodbye," and then he let out a howl that was cut short
within seconds as he took 3 deep breaths, then a couple of shallow ones. He was
pronounced dead 26 minutes later at 6:40 p.m. CDT.

Garza, 35, already had a long criminal record at age 20 when he was stopped by
Riojas, who was part of a team targeting property crimes at apartment
complexes. Garza ran off and witnesses say that when Riojas caught up with him,
the two struggled and Garza grabbed the officer's gun.

Riojas, 37, was fatally shot in the head. Witnesses said Garza put Riojas' gun
in his pants, cursed at the fallen officer, and ran away.

Garza was apprehended a day later at his sister's apartment after an informant
told detectives that someone had tried to sell him the officer's missing
semi-automatic service weapon.

In a statement to detectives, Garza blamed Riojas.

"I truly think this was the cop's fault," he said. "I don't see why he wanted
to pull out his gun."

Garza said he initially ran because he feared the officer would discover he was
wanted on outstanding warrants.

"I didn't want to go to jail," he said.

While being escorted to a holding cell after his arrest, court documents
described Garza as cocky and smirking. He used obscenity-laced language to tell
officers they were "lucky I didn't get y'all ... too."

The San Antonio Police Officers Association provided buses for officers to make
the 200-mile-trip to Huntsville. Several dozen police officers were outside the
prison Wednesday evening, and stood at attention and saluted as Riojas' sister
- who also is with the San Antonio department and watched Garza die - and the
officer-witnesses emerged.

"We want them to see we do care and the salute is a form of respect," said Mike
Helle, president of the association.

But Helle, who was in the same police academy training class with Riojas, said
the execution "doesn't bring back my classmate and my friend."

Defense attorneys had said the shooting was accidental and Garza was a product
of childhood neglect and abuse. In a 2013 failed appeal, attorney Michael Gross
said Garza's family encouraged him to break the law.

His criminal record began at age 14, and included burglaries, thefts, escape
from custody and leading police on a stolen car chase.

Texas carries out the death penalty more than any other state. Garza was the
1st inmate executed with a new supply of pentobarbital recently obtained by
Texas Department of Criminal Justice officials that would allow his and 2 other
lethal injections scheduled for this month to be carried out.

If the other 2 take place, the state prison agency once again will have to
replenish its inventory of the scarce drug or find a new chemical to
accommodate at least 2 more scheduled executions beginning next month.

Drug manufacturers, under pressure from death penalty opponents, have been
withholding their products for use in capital punishment.

Garza becomes the 6th condemned inmate to be put to death this year in Texas
and the 524th overall since the state resumed capital punishment on December 7,
1982. Garza becomes the 6th condemned inmate to be put to death since Greg
Abbott became Governor of Texas earlier this year.

Garza becomes the 13th condemned inmate to be put to death this year in the USA
and the 1407th overall since the nation resumed executions on January 17, 1977.
(sources: Associated Press & Rick Halperin)

MISSOURI:

Missouri Catholic bishops call for ending the death penalty in letter to Nixon

In a letter hand-delivered Wednesday morning to Gov. Jay Nixon, Attorney
General Chris Koster, Missouri Supreme Court justices and Missouri General
Assembly members, Roman Catholic bishops once again called for the end of the
death penalty.

"We, the Catholic bishops of Missouri, write this open letter to express grave
concern with the rapid acceleration of executions in recent months. Since
November 2013, Missouri has executed 15 individuals, nearly 1 a month," write
Archbishop Robert Carlson, Bishop Robert Finn of Kansas City - St. Joseph,
Bishop John Gaydos of Jefferson City, and Bishop James Johnston of
Springfield-Cape Girardeau.

The letter comes one day after the state executed a Normandy man, Andre Cole,
52, for a 1998 killing.

"Pleas for clemency are ignored, even when defendants are profoundly impaired
by severe mental illness or traumatic brain injury."

The bishops also express concern that race and an inadequate defense counsel
too often play roles in the justice process.

The bishops point out that Pope Francis has also urged an end to the use of the
death penalty, noting that "[h]uman justice is imperfect, and the failure to
recognize its fallibility can transform it into a source of injustice."

"Just as we see the likeness of God in an innocent child, we must learn to see
the same in a criminal, even as we condemn the sin committed. Out of a desire
for retribution, we must not surrender the belief that all human life is
sacred," the bishops write.

"Christians, together with people of other faith traditions, realize that the
human person is capable of repentance and great change. Yet by its irrevocable
nature, the death penalty denies this reality."

(source: stlouistoday.com)

NEBRASKA:

On eve of repeal debate, 6 Republican lawmakers push for ending death penalty

6 Republican state senators declared Wednesday it's time to end capital
punishment in Nebraska on the eve of what's expected to be a prolonged debate
over a repeal bill.

The senators are among the 9 conservative lawmakers who have signed on as
co-sponsors of a bill that would replace lethal injection with life in prison
without the possibility of parole. At press conference organized by
Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty, the senators underscored that
opposition to capital punishment no longer falls solely in the realm of liberal
politics.

"If capital punishment were any other program that was so inefficient and so
costly to the taxpayer, we would have gotten rid of it a long time ago," said
Sen. Colby Coash of Lincoln.

Supporters of Legislative Bill 268, introduced by Omaha Sen. Ernie Chambers,
will probably need every vote they can get. Debate begins as soon as Thursday,
and 33 votes are needed to cut off the likely filibuster.

Death penalty backers have filed 9 amendments. Sen. Bill Kintner of Papillion
has proposed an amendment that would replace lethal injection with the firing
squad. Kintner said he will not be swayed by fellow Republicans coming out in
support of repeal.

"Liberals spend all kinds of money fighting an execution and then they come
back and say the death penalty costs too much," he said.

Gov. Pete Ricketts also has promised to veto a repeal bill, and the Legislature
would need 30 votes to override. The governor has questioned the argument that
death penalty cases cost more than life in prison prosecutions, pointing out
that a fiscal note attached to the repeal bill includes no savings for the
state.

"The costs of litigating the appeals that are filed in death penalty cases are
negligible to the state and in no way offset the death penalty???s usefulness
in sentencing the worst criminals," Ricketts said in his weekly column.

Another argument against the death penalty mentioned Wednesday was the fact
that Nebraska has not carried out an execution for 18 years, when the method
was the electric chair. The state currently has no way to carry out a lethal
injection because the necessary drugs have expired and obtaining a new supply
has become difficult.

Nebraska Attorney General Doug Peterson said this week that his staff is
working to restore the viability of a lethal injection protocol. He did not,
however, predict when executions could resume.

Currently, 11 men live on Nebraska's death row, including one who has been
there for 35 years.

Chambers lost 1 conservative co-sponsor after he made comments comparing police
to Islamic terrorists. That prompted questions about whether the comments might
spark a backlash against the repeal bill.

Sen. Brett Lindstrom of Omaha, who removed his name from the bill, said
Wednesday he still intends to vote for repeal. Before he began studying the
issue as a newly elected state senator, he supported the death penalty. But
he's now convinced executing inmates costs more than keeping them in prison for
life.

That's not to say he is any less disturbed by Chambers' anti-police statements.

"You have to do what you think is right," Lindstrom said. "You have to look at
the bill itself, not who brought the bill."

(source: omaha.com)

USA:

Gary Lee Sampson's lawyers appear in court ahead of resentencing trial

Lawyers for convicted killer Gary Lee Sampson, the other Massachusetts man
facing the federal death penalty, appeared in court on Wednesday related to his
re-sentencing trial.

His lawyers were arguing motions to spare his life.

In 2003, Sampson was convicted and condemned to death for the carjacking
murders of three people in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Sampson's death penalty sentence was vacated when it was determined 1 juror
lied during jury selection. The government, however, is going forward with
plans for a new penalty phase trial with a new jury.

During Wednesday's hearings, Sampson's lawyers revealed that they may point to
a brain injury when Sampson was a child as part of his defense.

The lawyers referred to Sampson falling on his head at Brockton Hospital when
he was 4 years old. He is 55 now.

The penalty phase of Gary Sampson's trial is set to begin in September. A new
jury will decide if Sampson lives or dies.

(source: myfoxboston.com)