[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----PENN., N.C., S.C., LA.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Apr 8 11:05:59 CDT 2015

April 8

PENNSYLVANIA:

DA will seek death penalty for starter of McKeesport fire that killed 6

Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. said Tuesday he will
seek the death penalty if the man accused of setting a fire that killed 6 -
including 4 children - on Oct. 18 in McKeesport's Tenth Ward is convicted.

It is the 3rd time this year that Zappala has announced his intent to seek the
death penalty in crimes where Mon-Yough residents lost lives.

"I took an oath to uphold the law," Zappala said Tuesday when he spoke at a
meeting of McKeesport's Joint Task Force. "I intend to seek the death penalty
in a fair and evenhanded way."

Police say Ryan Williams, 25, tossed a flaming roll of toilet paper onto a
couch in the home while everyone inside was asleep because he held a grudge
against one of the men who lived there.

The intended target, Keith Egenlauf, was severely burned but survived the
blaze.

Killed in the fire were Egenlauf's wife, Hope Jordan Egenlauf, 27; her children
Dominic Jordan, 7, Autumn Jordan, 6, Serenity Jakub, 3, and Victoria Jordan, 2;
and Egenlauf's father, Ronald Egenlauf Sr., 55.

"What (Williams) needs to get, he can't get," said Donna Ackerman, 54, of
McKeesport, the sister of Ronald Egenlauf. "That's for him to sit in a
wheelchair and burn like my brother did, not being able to move. He killed a
crippled person and those 4 innocent babies."

Prosecutors say Williams was motivated by desire for revenge. Williams and
Egenlauf broke into a home in 2013, and Williams suspected that Egenlauf had
snitched on him, according to a criminal complaint.

"If you take multiple lives, that is an aggravated circumstance that merits the
death penalty," Zappala said.

Zappala stated his intent to seek the death penalty against 4 suspects in 3
Mon-Yough area cases in recent weeks, but said that was not an unusual number.

"I have a review committee, some of the senior people in my office," Zappala
said. "We've actually had, over the past 2 1/2 years, nearly 75 cases that have
qualified."

Zappala announced he would seek the death penalty in the cases of James Everett
Karr, 47, of South Park; and Jonathan "BJ" Coles, 20, and Roman Jones, 24, both
of Clairton.

Karr is charged with starting the Dec. 30 fire that killed his estranged wife
Maureen Karr, 56, and destroyed the home the couple once shared in Duquesne.

A status hearing is scheduled on Monday before Allegheny County Common Pleas
Judge Donna Jo McDaniel.

Coles and Jones are charged in the Jan. 20 shooting of William Doyle, 24, of
McKeesport.

Zappala indicated in his filing that Doyle was a witness to a murder and was
killed to prevent him from testifying.

A pre-trial conference is scheduled on Friday before Allegheny County Common
Pleas Judge Randal B. Todd.

Williams was arrested on Jan. 16. He is scheduled for formal arraignment on 30
counts, including 6 homicides, 1 attempted homicide and multiple charges of
arson and aggravated arson at 9 a.m. Tuesday.

"I hate him," said Dawn McPherson of Elizabeth Borough, sister of Hope Jordan
Egenlauf. "I'll never change my mind about that. I don't care if he lives or
dies."

Serenity Jakub's father, Andrew Jakub, 26, said he had no comment. Neither
Keith Egenlauf, nor his mother, Laverne Egenlauf, could be reached for comment.

Any statement of intent to seek the death penalty runs into the moratorium Gov.
Tom Wolf issued on Feb. 13.

"The action that the governor took regarding the death penalty was in no way an
expression of sympathy for the guilty on death row or for anyone who has
committed a heinous crime - such as the Tenth Ward fire - and all of those
individuals who are found guilty must be held to account," Wolf press secretary
Jeffrey Sheridan said.

"That was a heinous crime and the governor's sympathies are with the families
of the victims," Sheridan continued. "The guilty deserve no compassion and
receive none from the governor."

Sheridan said sentencing guidelines and law do not change under the governor's
moratorium and the situation does not change for those on the state's death
row.

He said Wolf plans to grant a reprieve in every case where an execution is
scheduled until he receives a report to be issued by the Pennsylvania Task
Force and Advisory Committee on Capital Punishment established in a 2011 state
Senate resolution "and any recommendations continued with the report as well as
other issues are satisfactorily addressed."

Zappala is on that committee.

"There are a lot of good people involved," he said.

Zappala has focused special attention on McKeesport and dealings with landlords
who do not keep their rental homes up to building code standards.

He is waiting for city council to approve an ordinance that would allow a team
of Duquesne University law students to inspect homes, beginning in the Tenth
Ward. "Every piece of property that isn't owner-occupied must be inspected
before a tenant comes in," Zappala said.

Mayor Michael Cherepko said he expects passage by June at the latest.

He said the program would begin in the Tenth Ward because of the Oct. 18 fire
but then move to the Seventh Ward because of its large number of rental units.

Cherepko and Zappala stressed the effort is meant to save lives.

American Red Cross Western Pennsylvania Region spokesman Kevin Brown said his
organization will conduct another fire canvassing event in the city this
spring.

"It's a fire safety awareness campaign that is part of a national Red Cross
goal to reduce deaths and injuries from home fires by 25 % in the next 5
years," Brown said.

"We will have teams of volunteers fan out through McKeesport neighborhoods
going door-to-door with fire safety information and applications for free smoke
alarms. When the application is turned in, the fire department will contact the
resident for a visit to install the alarm."

(source: triblive.com)

********************

Attorneys for alleged Ross Township shooter want death penalty thrown out

Attorneys for a man charged with killing 3 people at the Ross Township
municipal building are asking a judge to dismiss the death penalty against him
and to move the trial outside of Monroe County.

Attorneys William Ruzzo and Michael Weinstein argue Rockne Newell should not
face death for the Aug. 5, 2013, shooting rampage because Pennsylvania's death
penalty statute is unconstitutional on several grounds. They also contend
Newell cannot receive a fair trial in Monroe County due to extensive pre-trial
publicity. Newell, 61, formerly of Flyte Road, is accused of opening fire at a
township meeting, killing James V. LaGuardia, Gerard Kozic and David Fleetwood.
Kozic's wife, Linda, and 2 other people were wounded. Police said the shooting
was tied to a long-running dispute Newell had with township supervisors over
his property.

Newell's attorneys previously sought to have the charges dismissed, arguing he
has a long history of mental illness and is incompetent to stand trial. Senior
Judge Joseph Cronin denied that motion last month. The trial is now set to
begin on Oct. 19.

In pre-trial motions filed last week, Ruzzo and Weinstein cite several
arguments in challenging the death penalty, including statistics that show 150
defendants who were sentenced to death or life imprisonment nationwide since
1973 were later found to be innocent. That includes six defendants in
Pennsylvania who were sentenced to death.

"The high rate of error, coupled with the prolonged delay before such errors
are detected in capital sentencing, creates an undue risk that Pennsylvania's
capital sentencing scheme will allow for the executing of innocent people," the
attorneys said.

Citing several recent botched executions, the attorneys also argue the lethal
injection process used by Pennsylvania to execute offenders constitutes cruel
and unusual punishment.

Judge Cronin scheduled a hearing on the motions for 10 a.m., April 28 in Monroe
County Court.

(source: Morning Call)

*************************

Triple homicide suspect seeks dismissal of death penalty

Attorneys for a man charged with killing 3 people at the Ross Twp. Municipal
Building are asking a judge to dismiss the death penalty against him and to
move the trial outside Monroe County.

Attorneys William Ruzzo and Michael Weinstein argue Rockne Newell should not
face death for the Aug. 5, 2013, shooting rampage because Pennsylvania's death
penalty statute is unconstitutional on several grounds. They also contend Mr.
Newell cannot receive a fair trial in Monroe County due to extensive pre-trial
publicity.

Mr. Newell, 61, formerly of Flyte Road, is accused of opening fire at a
township meeting, killing James V. LaGuardia, Gerard Kozic and David Fleetwood.
Mr. Kozic's wife, Linda, and 2 other people were injured. Police said the
shooting was tied to a long-running dispute Mr. Newell had with township
supervisors over his property.

Incompetent

Mr. Newell's attorneys previously sought to have the charges dismissed, arguing
he has a long history of mental illness and is incompetent to stand trial.
Senior Judge Joseph Cronin denied that motion last month. The trial is now set
to begin on Oct. 19.

In pre-trial motions filed last week, Mr. Ruzzo and Mr. Weinstein cite several
arguments in challenging the death penalty, including statistics that show 150
defendants who were sentenced to death or life imprisonment nationwide since
1973 were later found to be innocent. That includes 6 defendants in
Pennsylvania who were sentenced to death.

Errors

"The high rate of error, coupled with the prolonged delay before such errors
are detected in capital sentencing, creates an undue risk that Pennsylvania's
capital sentencing scheme will allow for the executing of innocent people," the
attorneys said.

Citing several recent botched executions, the attorneys also argue the lethal
injection process used by Pennsylvania to execute offenders constitutes cruel
and unusual punishment.

In February, Gov. Tom Wolf imposed a moratorium on the death penalty in the
state, saying it will remain in effect at least until he receives a report from
a legislative commission that has been studying the topic for about 4 years.

Judge Cronin scheduled a hearing on the motions for 10 a.m., April 28 in Monroe
County Court.

(source: The Times-Tribune)

NORTH CAROLINA:

We're better than the death penalty

At least 30 people have been murdered in Durham County over the past year and a
half, and in all manner of brutality: stabbed, beaten, strangled, decapitated,
shot. The victims included innocent children, feuding roommates, scorned
lovers, gang rivals and an Anglican priest. Yet so far, none of these
murderers, accused or convicted, faces the possibility of punishment by death.

Now there is an exception. Craig Hicks is accused of intentionally killing 3
Muslim students in February. Durham District Attorney Roger Echols has asked
for, and received, permission to allow the state of North Carolina to kill him.

This is a different Echols from the candidate who campaigned on his personal
opposition to the death penalty; he explicitly outlined his reasoning in his
questionnaires to the INDY and the Durham People's Alliance. Echols says to
preserve the integrity of the trial he can't disclose why he is seeking the
death penalty in this case.

But if Hicks, then why not Andrew Scheper, charged with murdering his roommate
by decapitating him and throwing him in a pond? Or Matthew Reed, who allegedly
blackmailed and then strangled an Anglican priest? One of the problems with the
death penalty is that it's unevenly applied.

It's to be expected that many people, especially the victims' families, want
Hicks dead. For whatever reason Hicks killed the 3 students, apparently he
could not control his darker impulses. It's up to us as better people to
control ours.

(source: Lisa Sorg, Indyweek.com)

SOUTH CAROLINA:

South Carolina police officer charged with murder, could face death penalty

A South Carolina officer has been charged with murder after a video surfaced
that appears to show him shooting an unarmed man who was running away.

Michael Slager, an officer with the North Charleston Police Department, was
arrested Tuesday, according to a statement from the South Carolina Law
Enforcement Division, or SLED. If found guilty of murder, he could face up to
life in prison or death.

The shooting took place Saturday after a traffic stop, SLED said. Video
obtained by The New York Times shows what happened.

A black man breaks away from the white officer. Something falls, and the
officer fires 8 shots at the man as the man runs away. The man, who appears to
be unarmed, drops to the ground.

"I can tell you that as the result of that video and the bad decision made by
our officer, he will be charged with murder," North Charleston Mayor Keith
Summey told reporters Tuesday. "When you're wrong, you're wrong."

CNN affiliate WCIV identified the victim as 50-year-old Walter Scott. His
family spoke to WCIV over the weekend, before the officer was arrested,
describing Scott as a good man who was about to be married.

"All we want is the truth, and we'll go any length to get that so that my
brother can rest in peace," Anthony Scott told the affiliate.

According to WCIV, Slager initially said through his attorney, David Aylor,
that he followed the appropriate policies and procedures. Aylor later told CNN
that he no longer represents the officer, and it was unclear whether Slager had
obtained new representation.

(source: CNN)

LOUISIANA:

Marty Stroud, Prosecutor Who Put Innocent Man On Death Row: 'Whole System Is
Fatally Flawed'

Former Louisiana prosecutor A.M. "Marty" Stroud III made a mistake 30 years ago
that cost an innocent man named Glenn Ford nearly half a lifetime of freedom.

Now, Stroud is sharing his story, both as a cautionary tale and as a call to
action for ending the death penalty. Stroud appeared on MSNBC's
"PoliticsNation" with Al Sharpton Wednesday night with a warning to
prosecutors:

"They should take heed in the fact that if something does go wrong, as it did
in this case, it will be with them until the day they leave this earth."

Ford was exonerated in 2014 after nearly 30 years on death row. He emerged from
Louisiana's Angola Prison sick and penniless. He's now terminally ill with
stage 4 lung cancer. A judge last week denied Ford restitution for his years of
wrongful incarceration.

Last month, roughly a year after Ford's release from prison, a Shreveport Times
editorial called for the state to give Ford his due. In response, Stroud wrote
an emotional op-ed, apologizing for his role in Ford's conviction.

"I feel like a big yoke has been taken off my shoulder that I've carried for
years since I served in the district attorney's office," Stroud, 64, told The
Huffington Post in an interview Friday. "As far as total peace, I don't think
that will ever occur. I think the stain is too great to ever completely erase."

Stroud and Ford were roughly the same age when their lives first crossed in
1984. Stroud, who is white, was a self-described "arrogant, narcissistic,
judgmental" Louisiana attorney. Ford, who is black, was a murder defendant who
was facing an all-white jury. His defense attorneys did not come from legal
aid, but rather they were pro bono attorneys on restrictive budgets whose prior
experiences had been in oil and gas or personal injury, and had not litigated
criminal trials before.

Stroud successfully led the prosecution, convicting Ford for the 1983 murder of
Isadore Rozeman, a Shreveport jewelry store owner and watchmaker. Jurors
condemned Ford to death.

Stroud said he faults himself for being "too passive" during the case, and for
not taking seriously rumors that people other than Ford committed the murder.
Ford was freed after the prosecutor's office told a judge it had discovered
evidence that others were responsible for the crime. No one else has been
arrested.

"Prosecutors should want justice, not convictions," Stroud said. "We still deal
in the politics of blood."

Death penalty cases are high-priority and high-profile for prosecutors'
offices, and a successful capital case can be a badge of achievement for a
young assistant district attorney.

"I thought when I was prosecuting death penalty cases, I was doing them in the
name of justice and championing the interests of the victim's family," Stroud
said. "I wanted to show our office was tough on crime."

Stroud said he observed that prosecutors with several death penalty convictions
on their resumes often ran for higher office, as a judge or legislator.

"This is the Deep South, and the death penalty is still favored among the folks
in this state," Stroud noted. "You won't see any politician running on an
anti-death penalty plank."

Stroud said he's changed in the years Ford spent in prison. He said he now
thinks death penalty prosecutions are "a badge of showing how out of touch we
are with other civilized societies."

"I don't know where for the life of me we get off preaching to other countries
about their criminal justice systems," Stroud said. "We need to look inward.
We're with the likes of the Yemen and North Korea and Iran."

"We can't trust the government to fix potholes," he continued. "Why should we
believe they can design a death penalty system that's fair?"

Stroud hasn't yet apologized face-to-face with Ford, who has been in hospice
care.

Stroud said he rejects the pro-death penalty argument that there's no proof a
guilty person has ever been executed.

"I think the number of people exonerated since '72 should say something,"
Stroud said. "If I were going to fly on a plane and went up and bought a ticket
and asked, 'How is your safety record?' and they said, 'We had 142 crashes
since 1972, but don't worry about it,' I don't think I'm going to get on that
plane.

"The bottom line is, the death penalty does not encompass justice," he said.
"It's little more than state-assisted revenge. And I don't think revenge falls
within any definition of justice which I know. Justice is subverted so many
times for the will -- for the winning. Everyone wants to win, so the ends
justify the means."

(source: Kim Bellware, Huffington Post)