[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----PENN., ALA., MISS., KY., MO.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sat Apr 4 14:17:29 CDT 2015

April 4

PENNSYLVANIA:

Exonerated death row survivor tells his story at CHC

Shujaa Graham, 64, will discuss his journey from death row to freedom on
Wednesday, April 8, 7 p.m., at Chestnut Hill College's Third Annual Forgiveness
Day, sponsored by the college's Institute of Forgiveness and Reconciliation.

Since 1973, 151 people in 26 states have been exonerated from death row. 6 were
exonerated from Pennsylvania's death row. "I am not here today because the
system works," said Graham in a telephone interview. "I am here today in spite
of the system."

Graham's story is compelling and sheds light on a judicial system fraught with
error and inequities. Born in Lake Providence, Louisiana, he grew up on a
plantation in the segregated South. His parents worked as sharecroppers, who
were paid meager wages and often forced to work from dawn to dusk. In an
attempt to find a better life, his mother and step-father and older siblings
moved to South Central Los Angles. "I had to stay behind with my grandmother
and that was a hard thing," he said. "In 6th grade, I joined my family in
California, and that's when my trouble started."

Graham, who experienced the Watts riot and police occupation of his community,
said he joined a gang and was "in and out of juvenile detention. In 1969 (at
age 18) I was convicted of a $35 robbery and sent to prison. It wasn't until I
was 20 that I denounced my past."

Mentored by members in the Black Prison movement, he taught himself to read and
write and studied history and world affairs in Soledad Prison. Later, he became
a leader of the Black Panther Party within the California prison system. In
November, 1973, Graham was wrongly accused of murdering white prison guard
Jerry Sanders at the Deul Vocational Institute in Stockton, California.

"I was accused because of my involvement in political uprising. In my 1st trial
the jury couldn't determine whether I was guilty or innocent," said Graham, a
board member of the Witness to Innocence non-profit organization that campaigns
for the abolition of the death penalty. "In my 2nd trial in 1976, I was
convicted and sentenced to die."

Graham and his co-defendant, Eugene Allen, were convicted of 1st-degree murder
and sent to San Quentin's death row in 1976. During his 2nd trial, the district
attorney systematically excluded all African American jurors. In 1979, the
California Supreme Court overturned his death sentence.

Graham recalled how the community rallied and helped raise money for a new
lawyer. "When I was convicted and sentenced to death row, they were among the
first people who came to see," said Graham, referring to young people who
worked on his defense committee. "They said 'Shujaa, we're going to get you out
of here.' I told them 'Shit, my life is finished. What are you kids going to do
against the state of California?'"

A 3rd trial resulted in a hung jury. "In the beginning, I was really positive,
but by my 4th trial I had spent 12 years of my life in prison," he said. "It
takes a toll. People often ask me how it was on death row. Today, I can't find
the words to describe the depth of the pain. All I can say is just think about
each and every day of your life that as long as you live that each unborn
tomorrow promises to be worse."

He said he will never forget his 4th trial. "I remember it like it was
yesterday," Graham said. "They had me stand up, and when I heard them say 'Not
guilty,' I sat down and put my hands over my head. I said to myself, 'After 8
long years, this nightmare has finally come to an end.' I have been out over 20
years now, and every day when I wake up I think about capital punishment and
those folks who were put down. What if the state of California had their way? I
wouldn't be here today. So, I try to do anything I can do to help other
people."

Now, Graham spends most of his time speaking about his experiences and
advocating to end the death penalty. "It's not just about the death penalty for
me," Graham said. "It's about human rights and social justice for all human
beings. That is my fight, and that is what I am doing with my time now. What
happened to me is done with."

In 1981, after his release from prison, Graham said he was very angry. "I am
not gonna lie. It took me a long time to overcome it. But after I studied Dr.
King, I was able to deal with a lot of issues that happened in my life."

Graham, who has 3 children and 4 grandchildren, talked about the need to end
the cycle of violence. He cited Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s quote about
forgiveness. "We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is
devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love ... I believe
communication and education is the key to our solution."

When he speaks at colleges and universities, he challenges students to find a
cause or social justice issue and add that to their vocation. "When you add a
social justice aspect to your vocation and your education, then you make the
world a better place and become servants of humanity," he said.

Before ending our conversation, Graham quoted the words of an executed man
written in a letter to his sister. "The most happiest of us may not have the
best of things, they just make the best of what comes their way. Happiness
comes to those who fight, those who struggle and surely to those who have
served for only they can appreciate the importance of those who have touched
their lives ... My beloved sister, when you were born, everyone around was
probably smiling, and you were crying. Go on out and live your life so that
when you die, you will be the one that is smiling, and everyone around you will
be crying."

(source: Chestnut Hill Local)

ALABAMA:

Alabama tried to kill a man who never should have been on death row

If you want to understand why we should abolish the death penalty, consider the
case of Anthony Ray Hinton.

If you don't want to understand, consider it anyway.

Authorities arrested Hinton in 1985, after a string of robberies at restaurants
in Birmingham. In the 1st 2 robberies, the managers were killed and there were
no witnesses or physical evidence to identify a suspect. After a 3rd similar
robbery at a Quincy's in Bessemer, the manager survived the shooting and later
picked Hinton from a photo lineup.

Here's the thing, at the time of the robbery, Hinton had an air-tight alibi. He
had been working in a warehouse 15 miles away. The warehouse was even locked,
so Hinton couldn't have slipped out on his shift while no one was looking.

Prosecutors never charged Hinton with the Quincy's robbery, but they still used
the manager there as a witness against Hinton in the other murders.

The proof they had to tie them all together - the supposed murder weapon, a
Smith and Wesson .38 that had belonged to Hinton's mother.

A ballistics "expert" for the prosecution testified that the bullets from all
three robberies matched that weapon. I put "expert" in quotation marks because
of what we know now after analysis by multiple other experts - that the bullets
from those 3 robberies couldn't be matched to each other, much less to Hinton's
mother's gun.

Hinton didn't have the money for a qualified ballistics expert during his
trial.

I'm going to take a moment now to rant before we get to the horrifying parts.
All my life in Alabama, I've heard the arguments, not just in favor of the
death penalty, but arguments that the death penalty we have isn't good enough.

--That the appeals take too long, and we should set a time limit of (insert
your number here: 10 years, five years, a week, string 'em up behind the
courthouse that day).

--That victims' families shouldn't have to go through all this.

--That we might have made mistakes in the past, but most of those exonerations
have come because of advances in DNA evidence. Our science has improved our
accuracy and cured the process of its problems.

Watch the emotional moment an Alabama prisoner is released after 30 years on
death row Anthony Ray Hinton walked out of the Jefferson County Jail after 30
years on death row in Alabama. Hear what he has to say and watch the moment he
is reunited with his family.

That last one deserves particular attention, because it has given many of us a
false sense of security. People are involved in this process, and because of
that, the system will always be messy, imperfect, and sometimes downright
malicious.

To see why, you have to consider what happened next to Hinton.

Hinton has been on death row for almost 30 years. During much of that time,
appellate attorneys have fought to have the ballistics on the supposed murder
weapon retested. The Equal Justice Initiative has been fighting for those tests
since they took up the case in 1998.

Thankfully, the United States Supreme Court ruled in favor of the defendant
last year, and last month, 3 experts from the Alabama Department of Forensic
Sciences tested the gun and reexamined the evidence. They found the bullets
from the 3 robberies didn't match each other, much less the supposed murder
weapon.

Let's be clear here. For decades, Alabama prosecutors have fought like hell to
prevent a 2nd look at that evidence, and by doing so, they fought against
justice, not for it.

Just so we know who's responsible, let's name a few of them.

--Former Jefferson County District Attorney David Barber.

--Former Alabama Attorney General Troy King.

--Current Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange.

None of these men should be able to sleep tonight.

And neither should we the voters who put them in office.

Had they been successful, the State of Alabama likely would have put an
innocent man to death. Had they been successful, they would have been more
guilty of murder as the man who went free on Good Friday.

"I shouldn't have sat on death row 30 years," Hinton said after his release
Friday. "All they had to do was test the gun. But when you think you are high
and mighty and you're above the law, you don't have to answer to nobody. But
I've got news for you. Everybody who played a part in sending me to death row
you will answer to God."

Don't think for a second that just because Hinton is free today, that the
system worked. Hinton lost 30 years of his life. Justice will never be served.

We shouldn't abolish the death penalty because it's inhumane. There are people
in the world who deserve to die - folks who have done unspeakable things.

Rather, we should abolish the death penalty because government can't be trusted
to tell the difference between the folks who have it coming and those who
don't.

(source: Kyle Whitmire, al.com)

MISSISSIPPI:

Mississippi Supreme Court rules for death row inmate Jeffrey Havard

This week, the Mississippi Supreme Court unanimously ruled that death row
inmate Jeffrey Havard can proceed with an evidentiary hearing to challenge his
murder conviction. Havard was convicted in 2002 of killing his girlfriend's
6-month-old daughter. Havard claims the girl slipped from his arms as he was
giving her a bath and hit her head.

Controversial medical examiner Steven Hayne concluded that the girl had died of
Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS), a diagnosis that is also highly controversial.
Hayne also claimed to have found evidence of sexual abuse, a finding that
allowed prosecutors to seek the death penalty.

As I've written here before, Hayne has since come under fire for his improbable
testimony, sloppy practices and herculean workload. He was effectively fired as
the state's quasi-official medical examiner in 2008, although he still
periodically testifies in civil cases, in old cases in which the defendant was
given a new trial, and for defense attorneys. Hayne has since reversed part of
his testimony in the Havard case, although as noted here at The Watch, he has
still given highly suspect testimony in other SBS cases.

The ruling this week doesn't grant Havard a new trial, but it does give him
permission to ask for an evidentiary hearing on the scientific legitimacy of
the Shaken Baby Syndrome diagnosis. A favorable ruling in that hearing could
then result in a new trial. Since Havard's conviction, SBS has come under fire
as new research has called its underlying premises into doubt. This ruling
basically acknowledges as much. But the court rejected Havard's claims related
to Hayne's credibility as an expert witness.

While the court's ruling on SBS is correct - and encouraging, given how
difficult it can be to get appeals courts to revisit convictions based on
science later shown to be flawed - focusing solely on the SBS ruling shows that
the Mississippi Supreme Court still isn't ready to acknowledge and account for
the full extent of Hayne's corruption of the state's criminal justice system.

(source: Radley Balko, Washington Post)

KENTUCKY:

Death row exoneree talks about justice system flaws

I was a young mother wrongfully convicted and sentenced to death for the murder
of my infant son, Walter.

On April 11, 1989, I lost my son to a hereditary kidney disease. Walter was
only 9 months old and I was 17. I attempted to resuscitate him, but I didn???t
know how to perform infant CPR. The county in Mississippi I lived in at the
time did not do a proper autopsy. It was assumed because I was young, poor and
African American that bruises on Walter's body were the result of abuse, not
the result of incorrect CPR administration.

The day after my son died, what already felt like a bad dream turned into an
almost 6-year-long nightmare. I was arrested and charged with child abuse
because my failed efforts at CPR were determined to be the marks of physical
abuse. I was a minor when I was arrested, so the state of Mississippi waited
until after I turned 18 to charge and try me for capital murder for Walter's
death.

At the time I was young, married and grieving the death of my second child; I
was not very aware of how the legal system operated. I trusted my lawyers to
provide the best possible representation. My attorneys convinced me that I
should not testify in my own trial, and they failed to call subpoenaed
witnesses to the stand who would have cast doubt on the picture of a monster
the prosecution was painting.

I was convicted of capital murder by a jury that had been having picnics with
the prosecution during my trial. You read correctly - members of the jury were
given meals by, and spent time socializing with, the prosecution in my case. I
was sentenced to die within the year.

While in prison, my case was taken up by attorney Clive Stafford Smith
pro-bono. He did all of the work that my original defense team did not. With
more competent legal defense, the Supreme Court of Mississippi found that the
prosecution failed to prove that my son's death was anything but an accident.
My conviction was sent back to the lower court and I awaited a retrial.

Mr. Smith made sure that I was able to testify this time around; he brought in
witnesses who were able to corroborate the events that took place that day.
Medical examiners did a proper autopsy, and discovered my son had a hereditary
kidney disease. With a proper defense and investigation, I was easily found not
guilty this time. I was released and exonerated of the murder of my son after
spending over 5 years in prison - more than 1/2 of that on death row.

I'm visiting Kentucky this month to share my story and educate people about the
mistakes the justice system made when handling my case. My case is not an
anomaly, I'm one of a growing number of people who've been wrongfully convicted
and sentenced to death only to be exonerated later. Our number grew to 151 in
March, when another woman joined me in the ranks of death row exonerees. There
are more of us; some of our wrongfully convicted citizens have already paid the
ultimate price as victims of a broken justice system.

Being a victim of a flawed system has turned me into an outspoken opponent of
the death penalty. There are a lot of reasons to oppose the use of capital
punishment: it costs up to 5 times more than sending someone to life in prison
without the possibility of parole, it is applied arbitrarily depending on
funding and whether it's an election year, and it's always risky - no matter
how convinced we are that we have the right person, we could be wrong.

But I think the strongest reason to oppose the death penalty is this: Any
criminal justice system developed by human beings cannot be flawless. We make
mistakes. My story is a testament to that. I cannot stand by while we continue
executing people using a system that cannot be perfect.

(source: Sabrina Butler Porter is a death row exoneree living in Mississippi.
She works with an organization for death row exonerees, Witness to Innocence,
to share her story of wrongful conviction and exoneration across the
country....Sabrina Butler Porter will speak at the University of Louisville
Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the Chao Auditorium in the Ekstrom Library for an event
organized by the Kentucky Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty and ACLU of
Kentucky. The public is invited----Courier-Journal)

MISSOURI:

Advocates asking Nixon to examine whether St. Louis County removes
African-Americans from juries

When Herbert Smulls faced a panel of black and white jurors in August 1992 in
the death of a jewelry store owner, jurors couldn't agree on a sentence.

4 months after the mistrial, Smulls, a black man, stood in front of a new,
all-white jury and was sentenced to death for the crime. He was executed last
year.

His case is a perfect example, advocates say, of what can happen when an
African-American faces a jury that has none of his or her peers. It's a problem
that plagues St. Louis County, even though the county is 24 % black, said Sean
O'Brien, associate professor at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School
of Law.

And with 2 more black men facing executions in decisions handed down by
all-white juries, advocates have written to Gov. Jay Nixon asking for an
investigation.

"I just think a jury of our peers is what needs to take place," said Rep.
Tommie Pierson, D-St. Louis, who signed the letter.

The letter asks Nixon, a Democrat, to delay the upcoming executions of Andre
Cole and Kimber Edwards, who are black, and convene a Board of Inquiry to
examine the exclusion of African-Americans from juries in county death penalty
cases.

Nixon has received the letter but would not comment further.

Staci Pratt, state coordinator for Missourians for Alternatives to the Death
Penalty, said now was the time to address this issue given the Justice
Department report on Ferguson. The report found that African-Americans
accounted for 90 % of citations and 93 % of arrests made by Ferguson police
even though they make up only 67 % of the city's population.

The Justice Department report was "a wake-up call in the state," Pratt said.
"We can't look away anymore. Responsible government must take notice of those
things and must acknowledge the serious problem in this state."

Though comprehensive data are lacking on how often this happens, Joe Luby,
Cole's attorney, compiled information for the Post-Dispatch on 6 of the 7 St.
Louis County black men currently awaiting execution. One had 4 black jurors and
the rest had fewer, according to the data.

Cole, scheduled to be executed April 14 for stabbing his ex-wife's boyfriend 22
times in 1998, and Edwards, scheduled to be executed May 12 for shooting his
ex-wife in the head twice in 2000, both faced all-white juries.

Luby said Cole's case was a particular concern because prosecutors eliminated a
black juror for being divorced - because the homicide took place in the context
of divorce - even though a white juror had the same background and was kept on.
Additionally, a black alternate juror, Delphine Cobb, said in an affidavit in
January that other jurors had made racist comments about Cole in front of her.

Missouri courts have found that county prosecutors excluded black jurors
because of race 5 times since 2002. Luby said it happens more often but was
difficult to prove.

Defense attorneys can call into question the removal of a juror under what is
called a Batson challenge, alleging that an individual was removed because of
race or a stereotype of what their view of the trial might be because of race,
Luby said.

Prosecutors must explain their reasoning behind that person's removal and
judges must make a "gut level determination" on whether the prosecutor is
telling the truth, he said. But, O'Brien said, the process is too friendly
toward a prosecutor's reasoning to work.

"A meaningful process would have resulted in (Cole's) getting a new trial,"
O'Brien said. "The black man gets questioned but a white person survives and
serves on the jury without a question of divorce tells me the prosecutor didn't
care, he's asking different questions."

Advocates still are unclear on a long-term fix to this problem but say an
investigation will bring the problems to light.

Pratt said the state should track statistics showing how often all-white juries
were seated or how often jurors were removed because of race.

This is "one way to create accountability in the form of making sure government
is doing the right thing," Pratt said. "If over time we see a pattern, that's a
wake-up call."

(source: St. Louis Today)